PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Parties at Marcos

The Big Bopper
30th-January-2003, 10:29 AM
Classes in Edinburgh are held twice a week at Marcos,and we benefit from a large dance floor and good ventilation.
Scott does an excellent job with the lessons and provides all the music.
I feel that most dancers would welcome a change of venue for the monthly parties and indeed the Xmas Party.
The actual facilities at Marcos are poor-flooded toilets,dirty changing rooms and poor bar service.
I wouldn't object to paying a little extra(if required !)for a nicer venue for the monthly parties.
Interested to hear what other fellow dancers and the organisers think on this subject.

TheTramp
30th-January-2003, 10:43 AM
The actual facilities at Marcos are poor-flooded toilets,dirty changing rooms and poor bar service.Hmmm. I have to agree about the flooded toilets. I was quite disgusted with those - especially given that I was wearing velvet-soled dance trainers. Can't comment on the bar service. The bar in the dance room seemed ok (although, I thought that £1.90 for a can of red bull was a little steep - that was the same price as it was in the Perth nightclub, and nightclubs are usually known for charging high prices). I don't know of any other dance places don't even have changing rooms, so I guess that dirty is perhaps better than none, although, clean changing rooms would be even better.....

Have to say that I did have a really good night though - for me it's the dancers, the floor and the music which are the important things, and I had some really excellent dances there last Saturday. And how many people can claim to have been Brady'd and Bill'd at the same time?? :D :D

Steve

Dr. Feelgood
30th-January-2003, 10:44 AM
All your comments re the facilities are certainly true. I would also say that the studio itself is a poor venue; it is tatty and characterless.

I expect that, even if Ceroc was interested in looking at other venues, (and why should it be given that the punters are flooding in to Marcos) it would be difficult to find a similarly large space... and it really needs to be even bigger because for a lot of the evening it is far too crowded to dance comfortably/safely at monthly parties.

:cheers:

Carla
30th-January-2003, 12:08 PM
Last Saturday I arrived at 10:45pm, and paid £7 entry- that seemed a bit steep bearing in mind it was a ceroc night in a gym hall (whoops Ms popular)
:wink:

Dr. Feelgood
30th-January-2003, 12:33 PM
It's a fair comment Carla - it looks and feels like what it is - a tatty hall in a snooker complex. I'm not saying that the content of the event is not up to scratch (that's another matter :wink: ) but the surroundings are not very pleasant.

Partick Burgh Halls where the Glasgow party has been held are an altogether classier affair (although probably not big enough). Sadly, I believe that the Glasgow party is vacating this venue...

As for the price - well, if we don't like it we don't have to pay it. I paid and so did you, despite our reservations. As long as the punters pay then they might as well charge as much as possible.

I think it's expensive given the state of the venue but I'm sure I'll keep going!

It's interesting that there are other excellent jive nights around at nearly half the price...

:cheers:

PeterL
30th-January-2003, 01:12 PM
At the end of the day we are paying to be in the same room as many great dancers, it is the people that make the night, not the venue.

;)

TheTramp
30th-January-2003, 01:35 PM
At the end of the day we are paying to be in the same room as many great dancersHey Peter, don't forget the nice, friendly beginners too!!! :D

Steve

PeterL
30th-January-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Hey Peter, don't forget the nice, friendly beginners too!!! :D

Steve

I think begginers are great dancers, if they are willing to dance with me then that makes them a great dancers.

However the point I was making is that when going to a party, yoou go for5 hours of dancing, ceroc have trained hundreds of people to dance in Scotland and supplies a venue for them to get together.

Also in London you pay £7 just for a class, and the facilities at Marco's are far better than say the Jive Bar in London. I won't even metion the toilets there and you can always go downstairs to the toilets in the bar at Marcos.

Carla
30th-January-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Feelgood
It's interesting that there are other excellent jive nights around at nearly half the price... :cheers: Yes I agree, I have been to the alternatives over last 2 months. The Merlin Sunday swing, Route66, and a night in just off Easter Rd (once). Not keen on music at R66, but enjoyed the Merlin. I go to anything so long as it's value for money. I think ceroc is quite expensive compared with similar nights but that's just my opinion. Take Peter's point re. what we go there for, and London comparison though.

Scot
30th-January-2003, 03:38 PM
Dear All

I can only appologise for the upstairs toilets I have a meeting with their MD tonight so hopefully we will get that sorted out.

As for the price £ 7.00, which is now the price for all Ceroc Parties in Scotland, this does not seem that unreasonable for 5 Hours dancing it is difficult to get a round of drinks in any pub for that. Unfortunatetly Ceroc is a Franchise and therefore it has to pay a Franchise Fee. Being part of a large organisation has its advantages and disadvantages I am afraid.

However I am sorry that people feel that the venue is not up to scratch and I will do my very best to get it resolved as soon as possible. Please bear with me.

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
30th-January-2003, 05:59 PM
I have no objections to the venue, I like the floor, the bar, the atmosphere and the music. If a leaky loo is the problem, then this is fix-able and not the end of the world.

I think the Edinburgh parties top the others in Scotland by a long shot....

Carla
6th-February-2003, 01:35 PM
Have to agree with the little foxy fellow on this one!!