PDA

View Full Version : Off-topic posts

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 03:32 PM
I've noticed I'm gradually being pulled over the dark side and contributing to the distraction of threads :blush:

It seems to me that some threads are a bit more, um frivolous than others. Is it possible to the Post Icons to show how seriously the thread is intended?

So for this thread there's a big ! ie this is serious and no-one's to post off-topic ( :whistle: ). If you want to talk about shoes, find the right thread or start your own. ( :wink: )

Whereas :D would mean, ah well if you've got something funny or interesting to say that's off topic, go for it.

Thoughts?
Christopher

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 03:37 PM
When a thread's already lost its way, I don't see the problem with it wandering a little more.

Taking a very active thread off-topic can be a little annoying sometimes, though not when I do it. :wink:

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 03:52 PM
Taking a very active thread off-topic can be a little annoying sometimes, though not when I do it. :wink:
Well obviously, you're the exception that proves the rule :cheers:

When a thread's already lost its way, I don't see the problem with it wandering a little more.
I was thinking a step before this. So the author could show that the thread was important (at least to them) and so respectfully ask people to not start wandering off (the benefit with the icon is that for certain people who feel they may not be able to resist, they could just not look at the thread.)

On the other hand, quite a few of my threads are really more starting off points. I quite often don't actually figure out what it is I'm asking until about the 6th post - thanks for your help with that :cheers: So I don't mind if they wander a bit, as long as it's in an interesting direction. I also view the whole set-up as people chatting in a really big pub. So people wander in and out of conversations and occassionally the conversation wanders off. You know, in the real world, when you're debating the merits of slotted footwork and someone runs over and goes "I've just heard something really funny". I see the popcorn thing as more a pretty lady (seems to be mainly ladies who reach for the popcorn nowadays) curling her legs up under her on a couch and watching with interest as people argue whether salsa is better than ballroom. It's not hostile, more cat-like :flower:

But, that's me. And I'm aware that not everyone wants their threads wandering off. So this seems like a nice easy way of showing where the thread stands.

Be Well,
Christopher

philsmove
1st-December-2005, 04:33 PM
If you have been busy and are trying to catch up on the news
It can be infuriating when an interesting thread goes astray or gets hijacked by personal arguments. Do you read all the rubbish hoping the thread gets back on topic or give up?

For example what on earth has this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickletit's on Please Please Me
Cheers... will have to see if I can hold of it...

got do with difficult music
would it not be better to use PMs

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 04:53 PM
For example what on earth has this ... got do with difficult music
would it not be better to use PMs When someone posts a message that's directed in particular to me on a thread, I like to answer it on the thread – I think it looks rude otherwise. I try to keep my diversions short though.

Perhaps my previous post on that thread didn't really need to be there, but I thought it was worth letting people know that they wouldn't find this "difficult" track on the album I had implied it could be found on.

Does anyone think I go off-topic too often? (Please reply by PM rather than taking this thread off-topic. :wink:)

Ghost: I don't think that the post icons will help keep threads on-topic. They are easily missed, and not very intuitive. I think the best way to let it be known that you don't want "your" thread to go off-topic, is to say so. :nice:

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 04:57 PM
If you have been busy and are trying to catch up on the news
It can be infuriating when an interesting thread goes astray or gets hijacked by personal arguments. Do you read all the rubbish hoping the thread gets back on topic or give up?
Bruce Lee wrote a book "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do". It's an amazing book. :worthy: There is absolutley no fluff or filler in it all. Unfortunately I find it very hard to read more than about 2 pages at a time. :tears:

I personally find odd random comments help make it easier to read long threads - provided that they're funny and not abusive.

However there's inherent drawbacks to this. Pedants come up with some wonderful insights and sharp humour, but as part of that they occassionally go too far. I've had to physically stop one poor guy (non-forumite) from being lynched in the real world because he hadn't quite got the hang of the balance. Likewise, even with the smilies, things get misunderstood; eg once I realised that the heated debates in chit chat were really just abstract arguements, I relaxed.

At least with the icon idea, you'd know ahead of time, ok this thread's going to stay on point, or ok this thread's going to meander a lot. And decide at the beginning if it's worth the trouble of reading it.

would it not be better to use PMs
There's definitely a time and place for pms. It's about striking a balance.

On the other hand, on other forums it would be considered bad manners not to thank someone for a helpful suggestion (I haven't read the thread, but assume someone's suggested a track that they're going to try and get a hold of?). Updating the FAQ to include more Forum ettiquette could also help matters.

Good points :cheers:

Take care,
Christopher

Chicklet
1st-December-2005, 05:06 PM
something that may have been meant to be rude or funny, can't quite decide

I was only trying to help by adding in something I knew to be true, directly related to someone's previous post and deliberately kept the post short by not quoting, can't win eh?:tears:

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 05:09 PM
Ghost: I don't think that the post icons will help keep threads on-topic. They are easily missed, and not very intuitive. I think the best way to let it be known that you don't want "your" thread to go off-topic, is to say so. :nice:

You know that was my first thought. But then it occurred to me that it would get repetitive if every thread started of with this. So I thought what about an abbreviation? And then, why not the icons?

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the problemthat occurs if I'm happy to people to wander around my thread, but other people reading it aren't :confused:

Any ideas?
Christopher

bigdjiver
1st-December-2005, 06:05 PM
I would hope for posts to be on-tpoic in:
Let's talk about dance
The DJ Booth
Hall of Fame
Geeks' Corner
Ceroc Scotland Book Club

And would be prepared for ramblings in:
Chit Chat
Big Forum Gathering & Awards
Fun & games
Big Brother House
test messages
Take it outside!
Testing testing

E&OE

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 06:33 PM
I would hope for posts to be on-tpoic in:
< snip >
Seems reasonable. :cheers:
What about "Beginners" and "Intermediates"?

E&OE
I normally get these but you've lost me here :confused:

So what do others think? Maybe an addition to the FAQ along the lines of

"Posts to
Let's talk about dance
The DJ Booth
Hall of Fame
Geeks' Corner
Ceroc Scotland Book Club
should stay on topic.

If authors wish threads posted in other forums to also stay on topic they should say so at the beginning of the first post"

:cheers:
Christopher

LMC
1st-December-2005, 08:36 PM
I ate fried green tomatoes last night, the first time I'd ever tried them - yummy.

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 08:59 PM
I ate fried green tomatoes last night, the first time I'd ever tried them - yummy.
:rofl:
11 posts - better than I expected. I'd quietly made a prediction of 5 with someone earlier on :whistle:

However, if you look, this Forum isn't on The List, so going off topic would be allowed :clap:

Take care,
Christopher

Gadget
1st-December-2005, 10:23 PM
So what do others think? Maybe an addition to the FAQ...
from Forum Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458)

Try to keep it on-topic.
If something said in one post sparks a question or idea not relevant to the current discussion, it's better to create a new thread to discuss it: It keeps things tidy and you may attract folk to read it that were not involved on the source thread.
Admittedly, there does seem to be an absence of a section regarding tangent posting... perhaps for the next revision.

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 11:36 PM
Admittedly, there does seem to be an absence of a section regarding tangent posting... perhaps for the next revision.
Sounds good. :cheers:

The other problem is that you read the quote you mentioned in the FAQ and then log on and see that it's being largely ignored. And that assumes you read the FAQ in the first place. :blush:

Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure what the solution is :confused:

Be Well,
Christopher

bigdjiver
2nd-December-2005, 02:03 AM
E&OE - errors and omissions excepted - in other words I am not sure that the list is complete or accurate, it was done in a hurry.

MartinHarper
2nd-December-2005, 12:57 PM
Chickletit's

Best nickname ever.

Zebra Woman
2nd-December-2005, 01:14 PM
Best nickname ever.

:yeah: A magnificent typo. :worthy:

Surely a BFG prizewinner?

Chicklet
2nd-December-2005, 03:49 PM

:yeah: A magnificent typo. :worthy:

Surely a BFG prizewinner?
who for???:devil:
have a feeling that one's going to pop up again when I least expect it...but will it stick?....

under par
2nd-December-2005, 04:46 PM
who for???:devil:
have a feeling that one's going to pop up again when I least expect it...but will it stick?....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :yeah:

Ghost
2nd-December-2005, 08:01 PM
Just tested a theory
Clicked on the most recent thread for each of

Let's talk about dance
The DJ Booth
Hall of Fame
Geeks' Corner
Ceroc Scotland Book Club

Only the last two didn't have off-topic posts.

Should we: give in gracefully, become more draconian, or something else entirely?

Thoughts?
Christopher

ducasi
2nd-December-2005, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a poll to me... How bothered are you by off-topic posts, and what should we do about it?

* It's not a problem.
* It's a problem, but not so bad.
* It's a real problem and it requires action.
* Blah
* Blah
* Blah

Perhaps someone who actually thinks it's a problem could fill in the rest and post it... :nice:

Ghost
3rd-December-2005, 01:21 AM
Sounds like a poll to me... How bothered are you by off-topic posts, and what should we do about it?

* It's not a problem.
* It's a problem, but not so bad.
* It's a real problem and it requires action.
* Blah
* Blah
* Blah

Perhaps someone who actually thinks it's a problem could fill in the rest and post it... :nice:

I considered this.....

And it's a valid question. :cheers: Is it a problem? The FAQ doesn't encourage it, but on the other hand, it's quite moderate in it's language.

Again looking at the posts so far

6 in favour of off-topic posts and 3 against.

So has the balance shifted - and is this a good thing?

Take care,
Christopher

David Bailey
3rd-December-2005, 02:23 PM
Just tested a theory
Clicked on the most recent thread for each of

Let's talk about dance
The DJ Booth
Hall of Fame
Geeks' Corner
Ceroc Scotland Book Club

Only the last two didn't have off-topic posts.

Should we: give in gracefully, become more draconian, or something else entirely?

Thread mutation is common anywhere, in any discussion group. I don't think the Forum is any worse than any other discussion group, and I also don't think mutation is always bad - it's a sign of creativity; one comment sparking off a new train of thought, and so on. The classic example is the Singleton's Sofa, which has been rambling on about dozens or hundreds of topics, but is still interesting reading (mostly).

OK, yes, you could argue that if it's a new train of thought, it should be a new thread, but sometimes life isn't that neat. And if a new topic is more popular than the old, why shouldn't it be talked about?

FWIW, topics which are definitely single-issue (e.g. the capital punishment / arm the police - type of threads) seem to stay reolutely on track. Topics which are "social" tend to be more loose.

MartinHarper
3rd-December-2005, 03:22 PM
If a new topic is more popular than the old, why shouldn't it be talked about?

It only bothers me when the new topic is something that we've already talked to death and back, such as:
* first move footwork
* smoking
* hotshots
* Ceroc(tm) and world domination
* Ceroc(tm) and lousy teaching
* Is dancing with < whoever> better than sex?

Especially when the old topic is something that we've not talked about so much.

WittyBird
3rd-December-2005, 03:28 PM
so can a smoker be a hotshot then?

David Bailey
3rd-December-2005, 03:31 PM
It only bothers me when the new topic is something that we've already talked to death and back, such as:
* first move footwork
* smoking
* hotshots
* Ceroc(tm) and world domination
* Ceroc(tm) and lousy teaching
* Is dancing with < whoever> better than sex?

Especially when the old topic is something that we've not talked about so much.
AH, but that's where the invaluable Harperlink come in. Seems like a pretty foolproof system to me... :whistle:

bigdjiver
7th-January-2006, 04:44 PM
Pretty please - try to resist chit-chat in threads that have long term value for reference purpose :flower: