PDA

View Full Version : Rep re-set?

David Bailey
29th-November-2005, 09:39 PM
OK, as instructed (well, bribed) by Dee

I've been informed that rep levels have been re-set before, back in the dim and distant past of, I dunno, last year sometime, because "people's reps were getting into the thousands" - dunno how much of that was hyperbole, but that's what I heard.

Now, despite my best tart-y efforts, I can't see "thousands" happening to anyone, any time soon :tears:

On the other hand, the system is clearly inflationary, in that power levels increase with more rep, and rep points given depend on the power levels of the giver. So at some point it'll clearly be at silly levels, we'll all have power 10, repping 100 points / day (or in MartinHarper's case, -ve repping 50 points / day), and the numbers will get to silly levels. So maybe we should take them down...

My preferred option (I believe ESG suggested it originally, but hell, I'll take the credit), is to have a "rep decay" rate of, say, 1% per week. But that's apparently seriously difficult to implement.

So I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to reset everyone's rep to 10 at the end of each year; presumably this is relatively easy, and means people can start the new year fresh - bit like the Premiership really...

Any thoughts?

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
29th-November-2005, 11:16 PM
I think you're thinking about this far too much. I think we should just keep it as it is, I can't say that iv'e ever thought about it myself. Beisides i'm just starting to build up my rep...

STOP SPENDING SO MUCH TIME ON THE FORUM DAVIDJAMES!!!!!

El Salsero Gringo
29th-November-2005, 11:21 PM
My preferred option (I believe ESG suggested it originally, but hell, I'll take the credit), is to have a "rep decay" rate of, say, 1% per week. But that's apparently seriously difficult to implement.Actually, from a coding point of view, it would be pretty trivial.

David Franklin
29th-November-2005, 11:29 PM
Actually, from a coding point of view, it would be pretty trivial.I think the technical term is a small matter of programming (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/SMOP.html). Very kind of you to volunteer, anyhow...

David Bailey
29th-November-2005, 11:35 PM
Actually, from a coding point of view, it would be pretty trivial.
:eek: Maybe it's just me, but whenever I hear one of our developers at work say that, it scares the hell out of me. It's almost as scary as my boss telling me "it's just a 5-minute job".

(Oh yes, and don't think I don't know who voted for the "Reset DavidJames only" option, Mr Ass... :whistle: )

Anyway, yes, if it could be done fairly simply, I think a decay would be ideal. 1% a month gives c. 50% a year degradation, which seems fairly reasonable to me. And hopefully that'd avoid any further need for tweakage on Franck's part.

David Franklin
29th-November-2005, 11:41 PM
:eek: Maybe it's just me, but whenever I hear one of our developers at work say that, it scares the hell out of me. It's almost as scary as my boss telling me "it's just a 5-minute job".But quite a lot less scary than when the engineer says "Oops... That doesn't look good..."

Anyway, yes, if it could be done fairly simply, I think a decay would be ideal. 1% a month gives c. 50% a year degradation, which seems fairly reasonable to me. In point of fact, 1% a month is slightly less than 12% a year. Did you mean 1% a week (~40% a year)?

El Salsero Gringo
29th-November-2005, 11:42 PM
I think the technical term is a small matter of programming (http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/jargon/html/S/SMOP.html). Very kind of you to volunteer, anyhow...OK. I'll take up the challenge, if the architecture of vBulletin allows it. I don't know if Franck would implement it, though.

David Bailey
29th-November-2005, 11:51 PM
In point of fact, 1% a month is slightly less than 12% a year. Did you mean 1% a week (~40% a year)?
Err, possibly... :blush:

(This illustrates why I'm the Ideas Man, not the Details Man)

David Franklin
29th-November-2005, 11:56 PM
Err, possibly... :blush:

(This illustrates why I'm the Ideas Man, not the Details Man)Funny, I'd heard you were the "Oh dear" Man...

Zebra Woman
30th-November-2005, 12:02 AM
Funny, I'd heard you were the "Oh dear" Man...

So very witty :worthy:

:rofl:

Gadget
30th-November-2005, 12:55 AM
My preferred option (I believe ESG suggested it originally, but hell, I'll take the credit), is to have a "rep decay" rate of, say, 1% per week. But that's apparently seriously difficult to implement.
As I said when it was initially suggested: is something written a year ago not worth repping? Does time decay it's relevance, the ideas within, the touching sentiment, the heart-felt posting or the witty repartee?

I agree that the power thing is a bit bias: I don't think that your current rep should be taken into account in working out your 'power': Number of posts and longevity of membership are valid, but including your current rep is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't think that they should be re-set in their entirety: perhaps some sort of "pips" awarded for every hundred rep points before the counter is re-set again? Or just reduce the rep by a percentge (eg 80%)

Ghost
30th-November-2005, 01:06 AM
Could go the other route - re-set to 1,000 for everyone on 1st Jan. :clap: The difference between a rep of 1,085 and 1,736 looks a lot less than the difference between 85 and 736. Set all neg rep to a max value of 1 so people would be encouraged to send it and people would be less bothered receiving it. "I went from 1,004 to 1,003" is less traumatic than "I went from 4 to 3!"

Plus it goes well with the philosophy that everyone is wonderful and it's up to each individual to prove otherwise. :flower:

Take care,
Christopher

PS Yes I know there's flaws in my concepts. Please fix them rather than just point them out :cheers:

ducasi
30th-November-2005, 01:29 AM
OK. I'll take up the challenge, if the architecture of vBulletin allows it. I don't know if Franck would implement it, though.
It's got a new pluggable architecture that should make it a doddle. You can even set up tasks for it to run on a regular basis.

You'll probably have to buy your own copy of it to do this though...

ducasi
30th-November-2005, 01:30 AM
(Oh yes, and don't think I don't know who voted for the "Reset DavidJames only" option, Mr Ass... :whistle: ) I think you don't know... :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-November-2005, 01:33 AM
Or just reduce the rep by a percentge (eg 80%)That's a good idea. We could even make it happen regularly...

How about 1%, once a week?

:whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-November-2005, 01:34 AM
I think you don't know... :whistle:He does now.

ducasi
30th-November-2005, 01:37 AM
I guess my last post might have given the clue that I don't think a reset is needed. As it's a meaningless number, what does it matter if it's 245,432 or 10?

The rep-decay isn't such a bad idea, but one simple change that could be made now is to remove the "time served" aspect of the rep power score, and base it purely on number of posts and reputation. That way people who are actually active will have power, rather than folks who signed up years ago but hardly ever read or post.

Gadget
30th-November-2005, 01:54 AM
The rep-decay isn't such a bad idea, but one simple change that could be made now is to remove the "time served" aspect of the rep power score, and base it purely on number of posts and reputation. That way people who are actually active will have power, rather than folks who signed up years ago but hardly ever read or post.
Again: why? There is much wisdom from the likes of DavidB, LillyB, Franck, Rachel, Gus, Lounge Lizard, ... and a host of others that deserve rep. Rep is not a method of seeing who is most prolific: you have the number of posts for that. It's who's posts you are more likley to pay attention to and respect - what you have contributed to the forum.

Re-setting is like saying "yea, you contributed in the past, but that's all meaningless now and has no relevance. I don't care how much you might have contributed to the forum." What does it matter if they are currently active or not?

ducasi
30th-November-2005, 02:05 AM
Gadget... I'm arguing against reset here, but the thing that decay does is provide the balancing negative rep that is missing from our forum. There needs to be some force to equalise us.

At the moment it is the prolific that have the rep – more posts, more chances of being repped. This needs balanced.

My point I was trying to make in the text you quoted is that someone who joined the forum at the same time as you, but has maybe only visited half a dozen times, maybe posted no more than a dozen times, has a rep power of 4. Why?

under par
30th-November-2005, 02:09 AM
Don't you dare re-set the rep I've for whatever reason been doing alright and would feel cheated at a re-set.

Who needs promotion and relegation anyway.:wink:

Long live dictatorship. ESG will be able to destroy anyone who disagrees with him soon anyway.:whistle:

All powerfull ESG. Heavenly ESG I think I love you and your babies and all your women:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Ghost
30th-November-2005, 02:11 AM
Again: why? There is much wisdom from the likes of DavidB, LillyB, Franck, Rachel, Gus, Lounge Lizard, ... and a host of others that deserve rep.
Theoretically if people gave rep for old posts, then newer members looking through the archives would re-rep the truly useful but possibly not re-rep the truly funny.

Rep is not a method of seeing who is most prolific: you have the number of posts for that. It's who's posts you are more likley to pay attention to and respect - what you have contributed to the forum.
This is what I thought rep meant when I first joined. It's become apparent that it no longer is. DavidJames said something like
"I get more rep from funny one liners than for serious posts I've sweated blood over". He has a post that consists of nothing more than a number and I'll lay good odds he got rep for it.

Re-setting is like saying "yea, you contributed in the past, but that's all meaningless now and has no relevance. I don't care how much you might have contributed to the forum." What does it matter if they are currently active or not?
I'm inclined to agree. I think the problem is that people have cottoned on the idea that rep is skewed from it's original concept. There's at least 2 options.
1) Just accept that rep is a measure of more than technical expertise. If someone excels at making the forum a brighter happier place, then :clap:
2) Make it clear that rep is only for technical points. PMs are to be used for "that was soooooo funny" etc. Neg rep people who don't obey!!!!

Interesting points - have I ever given you rep for something non-technical?
Christopher

Gadget
30th-November-2005, 02:21 AM
Interesting points - have I ever given you rep for something non-technical?
Na - I tend to steer clear of chit-chat... and I'm not that funny :tears:

under par
30th-November-2005, 02:22 AM

ha ha ha.......Gadget you are a one ha ha ha!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ghost
30th-November-2005, 02:34 AM
:tears: Just tried to rep you for the dragon but the system won't let me

Oh well, you have the satisfaction of knowing your rep reflects your technical contributions :worthy:

Take care,
Christopher

Ghost
30th-November-2005, 02:36 AM
Gadget... I'm arguing against reset here, but the thing that decay does is provide the balancing negative rep that is missing from our forum. There needs to be some force to equalise us.

At the moment it is the prolific that have the rep – more posts, more chances of being repped. This needs balanced.

Well the obvious answer is to find someone who excels at giving negative rep, and does it a lot - increase the amount they can give until the system is balanced :whistle:

Take care,
Christopher

Trousers
30th-November-2005, 02:46 AM
I think the technical term is a small matter of programming (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/SMOP.html). Very kind of you to volunteer, anyhow...
thank you for that link

I being a slopsucker will be off no to suck at my slop
I having not been to the high level side of the old programming divide for a while had forgotten about 'time t' as well, ah happy memories

diking it out raised an eyebrow

methinx i need to browse in there more lol

Sorry this is a bit geeky init

bigdjiver
30th-November-2005, 02:57 AM
The rep system is flawed in many respects, but still better than nothing. It might be nice if we could track which posts have received most rep - a months top 10 or top 20 perhaps. This would help us find valuable contributions and pinnacles of hilarity in threads we normally ignore.

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 09:48 AM
Again: why? There is much wisdom from the likes of DavidB, LillyB, Franck, Rachel, Gus, Lounge Lizard, ... and a host of others that deserve rep.
I agree, and it's occasionally great to read the big debates of the past. But on the whole, few people read it - a combination of not enough time and, frankly, a less-than-superb archiving and searching mechanism.

Unfortunately, it does matter. Like all discussion / usenet groups, the Forum is a transitory beast, and generally has a short collective memory. If you're not currently active, you're quickly forgotten.

Again, it's like the pub analogy; if you go to the pub several times a week, you don't generally remember conversation you had there two years ago. Sad but true.

A decay mechanism provides an inbuilt incentive to keep posting, and to keep active.

Don't you dare re-set the rep I've for whatever reason been doing alright and would feel cheated at a re-set.
Heh, that's why I like it, it'd shake people up a bit.

All powerfull ESG. Heavenly ESG I think I love you and your babies and all your women:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Seek help. :na:

jivecat
30th-November-2005, 09:48 AM
The rep system is flawed in many respects, but still better than nothing. It might be nice if we could track which posts have received most rep - a months top 10 or top 20 perhaps. This would help us find valuable contributions and pinnacles of hilarity in threads we normally ignore.

Nice idea. :nice: Then I could spend even more time viewing the forum than I do currently.

El Salsero Gringo
30th-November-2005, 11:04 AM
all your women:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:Is there something I should know?

(ps, UP? In case you hadn't noticed, DavidJames is the rep-daddy now, and we are all doomed.)

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 11:23 AM
(ps, UP? In case you hadn't noticed, DavidJames is the rep-daddy now, and we are all doomed.)
What more proof could you need of the flaws in the system?

David Franklin
30th-November-2005, 11:30 AM
(ps, UP? In case you hadn't noticed, DavidJames is the rep-daddy now, and we are all doomed.)[/SIZE]But once you implement the rep-decay system, I'm sure it won't be long before a "tragic rounding error" leaves DavidJames with his reputation destroyed, forcing him to beg shamelessly in the hope for rep.

(so no change there then!)

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 11:37 AM
But once you implement the rep-decay system, I'm sure it won't be long before a "tragic rounding error" leaves DavidJames with his reputation destroyed, forcing him to beg shamelessly in the hope for rep.

(so no change there then!)
Eek, I think it's all ready happened.

What was that, all Hail ESG :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :innocent:

Gojive
30th-November-2005, 11:38 AM
DavidJames

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lynn
30th-November-2005, 12:12 PM
DavidJames ...

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 12:16 PM
:rofl: You happy now DJ?
Not quite the sweeping systemic change I'd planned, I'll admit :whistle:
Plus, my power's shrivelled, which I didn't anticipate. I feel all impotent now. :tears:

Anyway, where's this trivial coding job you promised, Mr ESG? I dunno, it's the same with all these Big Names, the hype never lives up to the reality... :innocent:

EDIT: bloody hell, I'm Mr Zigzag today, couldn't even enjoy my impotence for 10 minutes...

Lynn
30th-November-2005, 12:27 PM
Not quite the sweeping systemic change I'd planned, I'll admit :whistle:
Plus, my power's shrivelled, which I didn't anticipate. I feel all impotent now. :tears:

EDIT: bloody hell, I'm Mr Zigzag today, couldn't even enjoy my impotence for 10 minutes...:rofl: :rofl: I think someone is having some fun!

doc martin
30th-November-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm not saying that the rep should be reset, but, if you were going to, the ideal time would be straight after the BFG. Then there could be a category in the awards for the most repped this year.

Imagine the competition and begging for rep that would generate in the lead up to the BFG! And the sneakiness as the leading contenders desperately give -ve rep to one another :D

Lucy Locket
30th-November-2005, 12:49 PM
OK, as instructed (well, bribed) by Dee

I've been informed that rep levels have been re-set before, back in the dim and distant past of, I dunno, last year sometime, because "people's reps were getting into the thousands" - dunno how much of that was hyperbole, but that's what I heard.

Now, despite my best tart-y efforts, I can't see "thousands" happening to anyone, any time soon :tears:

On the other hand, the system is clearly inflationary, in that power levels increase with more rep, and rep points given depend on the power levels of the giver. So at some point it'll clearly be at silly levels, we'll all have power 10, repping 100 points / day (or in MartinHarper's case, -ve repping 50 points / day), and the numbers will get to silly levels. So maybe we should take them down...

So I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to reset everyone's rep to 10 at the end of each year; presumably this is relatively easy, and means people can start the new year fresh - bit like the Premiership really...

Any thoughts?

Have you nothing else to do???

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 12:51 PM
Have you nothing else to do???
Well, I could always do some work. :blush:

Come on, this isn't even close to the "most trivial topic ever debated", have you seen the "shoes" thread? :devil:

Lucy Locket
30th-November-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, I could always do some work. :blush:

Come on, this isn't even close to the "most trivial topic ever debated", have you seen the "shoes" thread? :devil:

Errrrr yes, your problem??

Lynn
30th-November-2005, 12:59 PM
Come on, this isn't even close to the "most trivial topic ever debated", have you seen the "shoes" thread? :devil::sad:
Ah, I understand - you want to lower your rep levels by tarting for neg rep now? I can oblige if you want.:whistle:

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 01:08 PM
:sad:
Ah, I understand - you want to lower your rep levels by tarting for neg rep now?
Got it in one, it's a manual process... :whistle:

On second thoughts, no. I really dislike -ve reps, and a "decay" system could conceivably replace them...

Gadget
1st-December-2005, 12:52 AM
I actually think that there should be a twin rep system: one for info, technical, insights, and know-how. And another for jokes, wit, social support, and 'friendlyness'. The latter decays, the former remains static.

Franck
1st-December-2005, 01:30 AM
OK. I'll take up the challenge, if the architecture of vBulletin allows it. I don't know if Franck would implement it, though.No idea how to implement it with vbulleting, or indeed how you would code such a system, but I'd be happy to implement it.
I reckon a good place to start would be vbulletin.org where such hacks are discussed / created. I had look but couldn't find any suitable mods.

I actually think that there should be a twin rep system: one for info, technical, insights, and know-how. And another for jokes, wit, social support, and 'friendlyness'. The latter decays, the former remains static.Oddly enough, I implemented that this morning, before the crash :innocent: Well, not exactly what you suggest, but I have implemented a system where rep given in a technical area of the forum is more valuable than rep given in the chit chat areas. There is no way to make it more specific than by areas at the moment.

As far as resetting everyone's rep, I'm open to the idea, but many complained last time I did it, so I'm currently proceeding cautiously!

One final idea, would be to have a 'negative rep amnesty' week, where everyone had to give neg rep instead of positive rep, this would reduce the overall level organically!

under par
1st-December-2005, 01:35 AM
interesting bits
Looks like you have the thing in mind and I'm sure something will come of it soon.

One final idea, would be to have a 'negative rep amnesty' week, where everyone had to give neg rep instead of positive rep, this would reduce the overall level organically!
Very interesting bit this.....should only be implemented with -rep for top 10 persons on the rep ladder....give everyone else a chance eh! :yeah: :yeah:

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 02:23 AM
As far as resetting everyone's rep, I'm open to the idea, but many complained last time I did it, so I'm currently proceeding cautiously!
Is it posible to re-set yearly above a capped amount. This way someone who used to post useful info but no longer does would have their rep capped at say 250*, And it would just stay at 250 forever, giving a helpful guide.

However those who are a bit more enthusiastic in gaining rep would be put back to 250 where they would presumably continue to once again amass rep.

Anyone under 250 would be left alone.

(*250 is just a number from the air - it would just need to be high enough for ceased posters to be recognisable as competent)

One final idea, would be to have a 'negative rep amnesty' week, where everyone had to give neg rep instead of positive rep, this would reduce the overall level organically! Have you seen the Simpsons episode where they're all wired up in therapy to give each other electrical shocks? :whistle:

Take care,
Christopher

Lou
1st-December-2005, 04:03 AM
As I was posting, before everything suddenly went blank...

I was wondering if something had happened to the existing rep system anyway, as I'd been stuck on 329 for ages, when yesterday I noticed that it'd increased to 330, without any extra comments in my CP. I guess Franck's post answers that?

Of course, the reason I'd been stuck at 329 for ages is that I hardly post these days, now having a job in which I actually have to work! :rolleyes: But when I was posting more prolifically, I had a chance (by the law of averages) that somewhere amongst the usual dross, there might be a thread or two deemed rep-worthy! :innocent:

And this is why I don't think changes to the rep system are required. As I've been less active, my rep has decreased in comparison with the others, and I've slid down the "Rep Table". Which seems fair enough to me. :)

I like the fact that there are no rules as to how I should choose to give rep. And I think, on the whole, it balances itself out pretty well.

And, if no coding changes means fewer SQL errors (and, consequently less forum downtime), I'm all for keeping it as it is! :whistle:

under par
1st-December-2005, 08:17 AM
As I was posting, before everything suddenly went blank...

I was wondering if something had happened to the existing rep system anyway, as I'd been stuck on 329 for ages, when yesterday I noticed that it'd increased to 330, without any extra comments in my CP. I guess Franck's post answers that?

Of course, the reason I'd been stuck at 329 for ages is that I hardly post these days, now having a job in which I actually have to work! :rolleyes: But when I was posting more prolifically, I had a chance (by the law of averages) that somewhere amongst the usual dross, there might be a thread or two deemed rep-worthy! :innocent:

And this is why I don't think changes to the rep system are required. As I've been less active, my rep has decreased in comparison with the others, and I've slid down the "Rep Table". Which seems fair enough to me. :)

:

My god! your reps gone up again.... you're on the move now:kiss: :kiss: lovely smilies:kiss:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-December-2005, 09:31 AM
No idea how to implement it with vbulleting, or indeed how you would code such a system, but I'd be happy to implement it.
I reckon a good place to start would be vbulletin.org where such hacks are discussed / created. I had look but couldn't find any suitable mods.Great. As soon as my current geek-project is finished (*) I'll get right on it.

(*)I'm writing an application for my cellphone that will allow me to use it to control the level of all the lights in my house. Hope to have it working in a few days!

killingtime
1st-December-2005, 11:53 AM
(*)I'm writing an application for my cellphone that will allow me to use it to control the level of all the lights in my house. Hope to have it working in a few days!

[Darth Vader Voice]The geek is strong in this one.[/Darth Vader Voice]

El Salsero Gringo
1st-December-2005, 11:58 AM
[Darth Vader Voice]The geek is strong in this one.[/Darth Vader Voice]Wait until I figure out how to program my cellphone to adjust the level of the local street-lighting...

killingtime
1st-December-2005, 12:03 PM
Wait until I figure out how to program my cellphone to adjust the level of the local street-lighting...

Of course my humor response was a way of hiding that my thoughts were: x10 system linked to your PC then using Bluetooth to connect to the PC from the phone and some little Java application to control a remote API? I'd love to have something like that :D.

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 12:23 PM
Of course my humor response was a way of hiding that my thoughts were: x10 system linked to your PC then using Bluetooth to connect to the PC from the phone and some little Java application to control a remote API? I was thinking a simple web back-end over a GPRS internet connection, rather than Bluetooth.

I'd love to have something like that :D. I can't think of any reason why I'd want that... When I'm in my flat, I have convenient light switches in every room – I find they work well enough. :nice:

And when I'm out, the only reason I'd be turning lights on and off is for security – and you get these things called timer switches... :whistle:

Maybe I'm missing something?

azande
1st-December-2005, 12:27 PM
It would just not be geeky using normal light switches...

killingtime
1st-December-2005, 12:36 PM
It would just not be geeky using normal light switches...

Exactly! :blush:. Also if you have other things in your flat networked you could chain events so when you turned the kettle on the lights could flicker or something :D. When something from your Blues playlist comes on your lights would dim. Or you can get a toaster to access a Web API and toast the weather forecast (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/04/bread_as_a_display_device/) (ok; I wouldn't want that toaster in my kitchen).

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 02:16 PM
Exactly! :blush:. Also if you have other things in your flat networked you could chain events so when you turned the kettle on the lights could flicker or something :D. When something from your Blues playlist comes on your lights would dim. Or you can get a toaster to access a Web API and toast the weather forecast (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/04/bread_as_a_display_device/) (ok; I wouldn't want that toaster in my kitchen).
I guess my geek-cred has just taken a tumble... :really:

I have thought of a reason why you'd want to adjust your lights remotely though... So you could set up mood lighting around your house before you get home with your girl friend without needing spare hands to operate light switches... :whistle:

But who's ever heard of a geek with a girl friend? :wink:

killingtime
1st-December-2005, 03:00 PM
I have thought of a reason why you'd want to adjust your lights remotely though... So you could set up mood lighting around your house before you get home with your girl friend without needing spare hands to operate light switches... :whistle:

Yeah! Now you are thinking. I'd also like a coffee machine that turns on when my alarm goes off. I'm yet to find a networkable coffee machine though.

I have a few girl friends. Just the one girlfriend though :D.

David Bailey
1st-December-2005, 03:03 PM
I guess my geek-cred has just taken a tumble... :really:

Yeah, 'coz you wouldn't need at least one hand to operate your phone / remote or anything... :rolleyes:

Probably (!) we're thinking about this too much...

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 03:21 PM
Seems to be one extreme or the other - either they're all alone :blush: , or they're going out with a goddess :worthy: .

"I think geeks should be revered" - Sarah Sidle, CSI

Take care,
Christopher

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah, 'coz you wouldn't need at least one hand to operate your phone / remote or anything... :rolleyes:
Voice-activated dialling? :wink:

Ghost: If you know any spare goddesses, please point them in my direction. Ta. :nice:

killingtime
1st-December-2005, 03:43 PM
Seems to be one extreme or the other - either they're all alone :blush: , or they're going out with a goddess :worthy:.

I'm sure my girlfriend would be delighted to hear that :D.

El Salsero Gringo
1st-December-2005, 03:50 PM
It would just not be geeky using normal light switches...If I had normal light switches, I wouldn't be able to use my phone to control the lights... so why would I want normal light switches?

Gojive
1st-December-2005, 03:54 PM
Voice-activated dialling? :wink:

Or the ultimate handsfree....a dictaphone :whistle: :whistle:

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 04:02 PM
Ghost: If you know any spare goddesses, please point them in my direction. Ta. :nice:
The problem is they keep getting married. (Hmm I should probably re-phrase that, oh well)

I can think of a few actually... just not sure of their current availability.

I take it you'd be willing to travel down south?

Christopher

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 04:08 PM
Hmm, looking at the poll and assuming that people who want the rep reset have only clicked the first one, it's not a popular option ~ about 3/23 at the moment; what's that about 8%? So about 90% not in favour at the moment. Doesn't look promising....

Take care,
Christopher

azande
1st-December-2005, 04:17 PM
If I had normal light switches
You don't have them now?

I wouldn't be able to use my phone to control the lights...
No, but what benefits do you have from using your phone instead of normal switches?

so why would I want normal light switches?
So why would you want to use your phone?

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 04:24 PM
I take it you'd be willing to travel down south?
What? I have to travel to find a goddess? No wonder I'm single! :sad:

As Sarah Sidle said, us geeks should be revered, so perhaps one of your friendly goddesses might be willing to travel north?

Or is that another reason why I'm single? :tears:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-December-2005, 04:42 PM
but what benefits do you have from using your phone instead of normal switches?Normal light switches don't make a soft but cool "plip" noise when you switch them.
So why would you want to use your phone?Because it goes "plip".

bigdjiver
1st-December-2005, 04:59 PM
Operate the DJ's laptop via cellphone?

Ghost
1st-December-2005, 05:05 PM
What? I have to travel to find a goddess? No wonder I'm single! :sad:
Nah, I'll let you into a secret for finding them.

Oh hang on,

would it not be better to use PMs
Good point. I'll PM Ducasi.

Take care,
Christopher

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 05:49 PM
Normal light switches don't make a soft but cool "plip" noise when you switch them.
Can you record this sound and post it for us so we can all find out what we're missing out on?

ducasi
1st-December-2005, 05:51 PM
Nah, I'll let you into a secret for finding them. Thanks. :nice: Will reply by PM...

stewart38
2nd-December-2005, 11:53 AM
Look 3 weeks ago I had 3 points

I got past 250 points of rep so i got 4points

Ive got past 2000 post today so now i got 5 points

As long as I keep me 5 points happy for it to be re set

i mean who cares about it anyway :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-December-2005, 12:37 PM
Seems to be one extreme or the other - either they're all alone :blush: , or they're going out with a goddess :worthy: .

indeed ;)

Probably (!) we're thinking about this too much...

Not at all. Voice activation is the obvious solution.

Because it goes "plip".

That sounds perfectly logical to me :) Same reason I use my PDA for the TV / Digi Box / Video remote control :)

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-December-2005, 01:57 PM
Can you record this sound and post it for us so we can all find out what we're missing out on?No. Found out yesterday the b*stards at Motorola didn't put a Bluetooth API in the Java implementation in the V3. So I'm stuffed. Until I can get hold of a V3i ....

Ghost
2nd-December-2005, 03:01 PM
No. Found out yesterday the b*stards at Motorola didn't put a Bluetooth API in the Java implementation in the V3. So I'm stuffed. Until I can get hold of a V3i ....
I appreciate it's lower tech, but perhaps you could use a microphone to record this wondrous sound? Who knows, you may even get rep for it.....
Take care,
Christopher

Lynn
2nd-December-2005, 03:07 PM
I just got a rep comment with a grey, instead of green, box beside it. The comment was positive and my rep total (I don't think) has changed. The person who repped me has a power of one. What happened?

stewart38
2nd-December-2005, 03:13 PM
I just got a rep comment with a grey, instead of green, box beside it. The comment was positive and my rep total (I don't think) has changed. The person who repped me has a power of one. What happened?

Ive had the same

Also two lots of rep from same person within 3 mins :sick:

Lyn rep me and ill see if im still getting the problem :whistle:

Zebra Woman
2nd-December-2005, 03:19 PM

This may be what happens when you can't rep anyone until you have spread it around some more...

Yesterday I found myself trying to rep David Franklin yet again....I think he has been incredibly witty this week. :worthy: .

Anyway, as I had already repped him to the limit, instead of being told to go away and spread it, I was offered a box to make a comment for him. I imagine he would have received my comment alongside a grey box.

The box said:
You must spread reputation points around before giving to the same user.
However, your comment will be added without reputation points.

ZW

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-December-2005, 03:19 PM
I appreciate it's lower tech, but perhaps you could use a microphone to record this wondrous sound? Who knows, you may even get rep for it.....
Take care,
ChristopherI was just planning to steal one of the windows plips - I quite like the one called "windows xp information bar" until I find something better.

under par
2nd-December-2005, 03:27 PM
This may be what happens when you can't rep anyone until you have spread it around some more...

Yesterday I found myself trying to rep David Franklin yet again....I think he has been incredibly witty this week. :worthy: .

Anyway, as I had already repped him to the limit, instead of being told to go away and spread it, I was offered a box to make a comment for him. No rep would be given. I imagine he would have received my comment alongside a grey box.

ZW

With the upgrade Franck did this week :worthy: I think this is a new aspect to rep.
Allowing the repper to add comments without rep whilst they are there in Rep LIMBO for that forumite.........Good idea me thinks.. as that moment you want to pass the comment may never be revisited later.

It's a virtual bank of rep....maybe ask said comment maker later for the rep they wanted to give you when they are allowed to allocate it .................................................. . I can see the rep tarts asking to make withdrawals from the virtual bank:flower:

David Bailey
2nd-December-2005, 03:36 PM
With the upgrade Franck did this week :worthy: I think this is a new aspect to rep.
Allowing the repper to add comments without rep whilst they are there in Rep LIMBO for that forumite.........Good idea me thinks.. as that moment you want to pass the comment may never be revisited later.

It's a virtual bank of rep....maybe ask said comment maker later for the rep they wanted to give you when they are allowed to allocate it .................................................. . I can see the rep tarts asking to make withdrawals from the virtual bank:flower:
Well, seeing as you mention it, yes, I did get a rep comment from some tightwad who was too tight to send me a proper rep... :whistle:

ducasi
2nd-December-2005, 03:41 PM
No. Found out yesterday the b*stards at Motorola didn't put a Bluetooth API in the Java implementation in the V3. So I'm stuffed. Until I can get hold of a V3i ....
I had wondered about that... It's a common problem.

Lynn
2nd-December-2005, 05:35 PM
This may be what happens when you can't rep anyone until you have spread it around some more... Thanks, yes that would be it, I got some rep from the same person very recently. I like that as although rep can't be given yet to someone, you still can get/give the nice comments! :flower: (The comment meant more to me than the rep point I would have got.)

Yesterday I found myself trying to rep David Franklin yet again....I think he has been incredibly witty this week. :worthy: .:yeah: As per usual.

stewart38
3rd-December-2005, 03:26 PM
someone keeps begging me to rep them, even if i dont think they diserve it

They are a friend and i do but part of me doesnt think its right :sad:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-December-2005, 10:06 PM
someone keeps begging me to rep them, even if i dont think they diserve it

They are a friend and i do but part of me doesnt think its right :sad:
If they are begging, they really need to get out more :)

Missy D
5th-December-2005, 10:17 PM
No one touches my points!!

Gadget
5th-December-2005, 10:30 PM
What about your reputation tho? :whistle:

Missy D
5th-December-2005, 10:34 PM
What about your reputation tho? :whistle:

Yes I do have that to think about too!!:rofl:

dee
25th-December-2005, 08:36 PM
Without reading all the pages, are the rep points going to be re-set then? :flower:

under par
26th-December-2005, 09:26 AM
Without reading all the pages, are the rep points going to be re-set then? :flower:
not telling...read the thread!:wink:

dee
26th-December-2005, 12:15 PM

I wont play anymore if you don't tell me :mad:

David Bailey
26th-December-2005, 09:42 PM
I wont play anymore if you don't tell me :mad:
Quick summary - I thought it'd be a good-ish idea, some debate ensued, ESG volunteered to do something fairly clever to the software, and we're now waiting with bated breath...

El Salsero Gringo
27th-December-2005, 03:15 PM
Quick summary - I thought it'd be a good-ish idea, some debate ensued, ESG volunteered to do something fairly clever to the software, and we're now waiting with bated breath...I can now control my lights from my mobile phone (from anywhere in the civilised world, more or less - don't ask why this might be useful because I couldn't tell you). Central heating (control), a James Bond style tracking widget that displays its location on a map on my phone - and trying to see if vBulletin will allow a decaying rep system - are all on the list. The challenge I can see at the moment is that rep is (most likely) stored as an integer type in the database, and it would have to be treated as a a floating point number, or more feasibly I'd need an extra column in the users table to store the fractional part of the rep. Not sure if that's possible.

Andy McGregor
27th-December-2005, 03:50 PM
I can now control my lights from my mobile phone (from anywhere in the civilised world, more or less - don't ask why this might be useful because I couldn't tell you). Central heating (control), a James Bond style tracking widget that displays its location on a map on my phone - and trying to see if vBulletin will allow a decaying rep system - are all on the list. The challenge I can see at the moment is that rep is (most likely) stored as an integer type in the database, and it would have to be treated as a a floating point number, or more feasibly I'd need an extra column in the users table to store the fractional part of the rep. Not sure if that's possible.Is it just me or did anyone else have the thought "ESG needs to get our more" cross their mind while reading this?

Lou
27th-December-2005, 03:51 PM
...stuff....
But why?

Lou
27th-December-2005, 03:53 PM
Or just look at the votes at the top of the page... :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
27th-December-2005, 05:27 PM
But why?Because.

(Duh.)

David Bailey
27th-December-2005, 05:34 PM
a James Bond style tracking widget that displays its location on a map on my phone - and trying to see if vBulletin will allow a decaying rep system - are all on the list.
{ snip boring techie stuff }
OK, nuts to the rep stuff, I vote for the tracking widget - I can think of several applications at a dance venue already :innocent:

DianaS
27th-December-2005, 06:42 PM
OK, nuts to the rep stuff, I vote for the tracking widget - I can think of several applications at a dance venue already :innocent:

Hmm I want a gizzmo that wll tell me where my car is:rolleyes:
Any chance
Always loosing it at Tescos
ESG you're very sad though
Have a Happy New year

El Salsero Gringo
28th-December-2005, 03:14 PM
Hmm I want a gizzmo that wll tell me where my car is:rolleyes:
Any chance
Always loosing it at Tescos
ESG you're very sad though
Have a Happy New yeardoes your phone have Bluetooth Class 1 (100m range)?

WittyBird
28th-December-2005, 03:37 PM
does your phone have Bluetooth Class 1 (100m range)?

What were you thinking?
I can come up with 3 idea's...

use a handheld GPS unit and mark a waypoint when you park the car then take the unit with you
Bluetooth car key
check number on parking lot :rofl:

DavidY
28th-December-2005, 03:53 PM
check number on parking lot :rofl:That's way too low-tech though. As a bare minimum you should at least: use camera phone to take picture(s) of where car is;)

El Salsero Gringo
28th-December-2005, 05:34 PM
What were you thinking?
I can come up with 3 idea's...

use a handheld GPS unit and mark a waypoint when you park the car then take the unit with you
Bluetooth car key
check number on parking lot :rofl:I was thinking that if you had long range bluetooth in your phone, and you could get a long-range bluetooth GPS receiver, then if you couldn't find your car you could get a (5-10m accurate) location fix from the GPS (which you would leave in the car) as long as you were within about 100m, and your phone could overlay that onto a map. Probably just about on the limit, since if you were close enough to guarantee a BT connection you'd probably be able to see the car. The long range version of the idea has a GSM modem built in that can transmit its location, but then you have to have an extra mobile subscription for it.

LMC
28th-December-2005, 07:35 PM
All sounds far too complicated. Thank goodness it's quicker to walk than drive to my local Tescos.

If I go somewhere else where I have to take the car, perhaps I'll just remember where I parked...

ducasi
28th-December-2005, 08:12 PM
Isn't it enough that when you use the remote control to turn off the alarm & open the central locking that your car will chirp at you and maybe flash its lights?

If you don't have a remote alarm system, well I'd suggest that it'd be cheaper to fit one than to go down any of the routes outlined by the others above...

El Salsero Gringo
28th-December-2005, 09:21 PM
cheaper to fit one than to go down any of the routes outlined by the others above...No one ever suggested that price was the primary selection criterion. Where's your sense of fun gone!?

ducasi
28th-December-2005, 09:37 PM
Where's your sense of fun gone!?
I lost it in Tesco's car park.

LMC
28th-December-2005, 09:46 PM
Nope, "I lost my fun in Tesco's car park" just doesn't have quite the same ring as "I left my heart in San Francisco", but thanks for playing...

WittyBird
28th-December-2005, 09:47 PM
I lost it in Tesco's car park.

Well it's your own fault if you had done as ESG and I suggested you wouldn't of lost it. :rolleyes:

killingtime
28th-December-2005, 09:48 PM
Well it's your own fault if you had done as ESG and I suggested you wouldn't of lost it. :rolleyes:

Planting a GPS system in your heart might have issues :eek:.

WittyBird
28th-December-2005, 09:50 PM
Planting a GPS system in your heart might have issues :eek:.

Ah but what your forgetting oh young one is that one needs to have a heart first :rofl:

ducasi
28th-December-2005, 09:53 PM
Ah but what your forgetting oh young one is that one needs to have a heart first :rofl:
It's true. And women keep stealing my heart away. :tears:

Perhaps I do need a GPS tracker in my heart after all. :nice:

WittyBird
28th-December-2005, 10:04 PM

Well it's fixable :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
28th-December-2005, 10:05 PM

Perhaps I do need a GPS tracker in my heart after all. :nice:I was just looking through an old photo album, and I came across this picture of Ducasi with his new avatar, so I thought I should share....

WittyBird
28th-December-2005, 10:07 PM
I was just looking through an old photo album, and I came across this picture of Ducasi with his new avatar, so I thought I should share....

Can't type to busy ROFLMAO:rofl:

ducasi
28th-December-2005, 10:34 PM
I was just looking through an old photo album, and I came across this picture of Ducasi with his new avatar, so I thought I should share....
:rolleyes: I knew it was time for change...

LMC
28th-December-2005, 11:15 PM
Own up, it was your photo album now wasn't it?

So what was a picture of ducasi and his Evil Twin doing in there?

stewart38
29th-December-2005, 01:16 PM
I think when someone you know threatens to continue to -ve rep you unless you +ve rep them the fun stops

I say scrap the crap thing (somtimes)

some people are totally obsessed about it

-ve rep me i dont 'need to get to 500' :sad:

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 01:37 PM
:rolleyes: I knew it was time for change...
Good God, and I thought I changed my avatar a lot :eek:

Hmm, talking of which...

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 03:01 PM
Good God, and I thought I changed my avatar a lot :eek: Well I decided I didn't want to have dusty bin as my avatar in the run-up to my birthday tomorrow... And I just found this one lying around, unused. Figured it would be shame to have to wait 12 months before being able to use it... So...

Normal service will be restored in the new year, promise.

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 04:09 PM
Well I decided I didn't want to have dusty bin as my avatar in the run-up to my birthday tomorrow... .
Subtle :nice: :whistle:

WittyBird
29th-December-2005, 04:11 PM

As a brick :rolleyes:

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 05:23 PM
Well I've been dropping hints about it for about six months now (and the fact that it is the day after the big Glasgow party tonight), so if anyone's not aware it's my birthday tomorrow, I don't know what else I can do... :confused:

Maybe a "Happy Birthday" avatar... :whistle:

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 07:56 PM
Well I've been dropping hints about it for about six months now (and the fact that it is the day after the big Glasgow party tonight), so if anyone's not aware it's my birthday tomorrow, I don't know what else I can do... :confused:
So when is it again? :na:

LMC
29th-December-2005, 07:59 PM
When's what? :innocent:

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 08:08 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears:

under par
30th-December-2005, 07:28 AM
:tears: :tears: :tears:

Happy Birthday today!:cheers:

CeeCee
30th-December-2005, 11:47 AM
The giving and receiving of rep is all great fun but it's unfortunate if the rep receiver doesn’t know the identity of the rep giver because the rep giver hasn’t given their name at the end of the rep giving.

The rep receiver would really love to show their appreciation by thanking the kind, thoughtful, generous rep giver but as the rep giver is anonymous the rep receiver is sad because they can’t.

Lynn
30th-December-2005, 12:09 PM
The giving and receiving of rep is all great fun but it's unfortunate if the rep receiver doesn’t know the identity of the rep giver because the rep giver hasn’t given their name at the end of the rep giving. Paid up members can see who gave them rep without it being signed - maybe sometimes they then forget to make sure they sign rep to those who haven't subscribed.

The rep receiver would really love to show their appreciation by thanking the kind, thoughtful, generous rep giver but as the rep giver is anonymous the rep receiver is sad because they can’t.Raises a question - is there a forum ettiquette re thanking for rep? I don't tend to, unless I want to respond to a comment that was made, but do other people do this on a regular basis?

LMC
3rd-January-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm sure I saw a thread somewhere where we could share our favourite rep comments? Maybe not. I get so bored with all the seemingly endless discussion that I vowed not to get involved with this one... but this comment just made me laugh too much not to share:

You know, you are the most nit picky and most irratating person I have ever come across. If could bad rep you a million times, I would! Now, just don't bother replying to anything I say or do, and I won't have to keep taking rep off you.

So :na: ESG

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-January-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm sure I saw a thread somewhere where we could share our favourite rep comments? Maybe not. I get so bored with all the seemingly endless discussion that I vowed not to get involved with this one... but this comment just made me laugh too much not to share:

So :na: ESGIt wasn't from me - my spelling's not that bad.

My own favourite one was about being totally insensitive and with a hide thicker than elephant skin. Or that might have been two; I can't say I was sufficiently bothered to note the details.

LMC
3rd-January-2006, 05:49 PM
No, it wasn't from you, but I will treasure it nonetheless.

Someone thinks I'm more nit picky than ESG :clap:

Of course, they are wrong :innocent:

David Bailey
3rd-January-2006, 08:05 PM
Someone thinks I'm more nit picky than ESG :clap:

Of course, they are wrong :innocent:
That's "nit-picky", I'd say.

Oh, and you mixed the plural and the singular up with those two sentences.

:whistle:

LMC
3rd-January-2006, 10:20 PM
They obviously haven't met you either DJ

Mwah.

Gadget
4th-January-2006, 02:04 PM
It wasn't from me - my spelling's not that bad. What you implying by that then? :what: :(

El Salsero Gringo
4th-January-2006, 02:13 PM
What you implying by that then? :what: :(... and yet it's far too literate to be Stewart38 ...

stewart38
4th-January-2006, 06:07 PM
... and yet it's far too literate to be Stewart38 ...

As i say ded is ded who needs 'dead' the 'a' is unnecessary.

ps is rep working today , mine seems fixed on same score ??

WittyBird
4th-January-2006, 06:10 PM

Maybe it's trying to tell you that your scoring days are over?

under par
4th-January-2006, 06:24 PM

can you check if my rep is working please have a similar problem?

Thanks S38:worthy:

WittyBird
4th-January-2006, 06:27 PM
can you check if my rep is working please have a similar problem?

Thanks S38:worthy:

Looks like yours and S38 working... seems to be a problem with mine tho :mad:

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 07:44 PM
Looks like yours and S38 working... seems to be a problem with mine tho :mad:
But 564 is such a nice number, it'd be a shame to spoil it... :D

WittyBird
4th-January-2006, 08:56 PM
But 564 is such a nice number, it'd be a shame to spoil it... :D
so is 591 :whistle:

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 09:07 PM
so is 591 :whistle:
While I'm sure you wouldn't stoop that low, maybe I'd better not take the chance... :really:

under par
4th-January-2006, 09:09 PM
so is 591 :whistle:ah!! but if you neg repped Ducasi his power would decrease by only 50% of your power.:blush:

ducasi
4th-January-2006, 09:19 PM
ah!! but if you neg repped Ducasi his power would decrease by only 50% of your power.:blush:
So, does anyone know – is half of 3 = 1 or 2? :confused:

TheTramp
4th-January-2006, 09:41 PM

I could neg rep you if you like. Just to help you find out....

But since I've got 6, it probably wouldn't help that much! Maybe I'll do it anyhow. Since Witty thinks that 591 is a nice number... :whistle:

under par
4th-January-2006, 09:47 PM
We
need a volunteer to take a hit of -rep from a member with an odd numbered power....oh go on then do me.! Witty bird only please I do not wish to go down the drainpipe of power loss...:whistle: :whistle:

David Bailey
4th-January-2006, 10:02 PM
But since I've got 6, it probably wouldn't help that much!
Hold on - :confused: shouldn't you have power 8? Base 1, + 3 years' service (3), + 250 rep points (1 - you slacker) and over 6,000 posts (3 - OK, maybe not such a slacker) = 8.

Or am I missing something? Is there a limit of 6 on power for mortals? :eek:

TheTramp
4th-January-2006, 10:13 PM
+ 250 rep points (1 - you slacker)

Ah. I was missing for much of the time that rep points were actually being given out the last few months. So I'm lagging behind somewhat.

Or maybe I just don't deserve any more rep! :what:

Anyhow, 6 seems like a reasonable number to me :flower:

dee
5th-January-2006, 07:10 PM
Hold on - :confused: shouldn't you have power 8? Base 1, + 3 years' service (3), + 250 rep points (1 - you slacker) and over 6,000 posts (3 - OK, maybe not such a slacker) = 8.

Or am I missing something? Is there a limit of 6 on power for mortals? :eek:

:yeah: or was it because you were gone so long Franck forgot?

David Bailey
5th-January-2006, 07:23 PM
:yeah: or was it because you were gone so long Franck forgot?
Nope, 6 appears to be the upper limit... :tears:

killingtime
23rd-February-2006, 02:24 PM
I've got the solution! Default the rep screen's radio button to I disapprove before we realise what is going on we'll all be in negative rep.

Just a thought :whistle:.

David Bailey
23rd-February-2006, 04:51 PM
How many "names known to all" can everyone remember, anyway? 4's my limit :na:

dee
23rd-February-2006, 05:09 PM
How many "names known to all" can everyone remember, anyway? 4's my limit :na:

:yeah: Im just so glad im really nice :whistle:

David Bailey
10th-October-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I'm glad to see that the power thing at least has been made a bit more sensible.

Can we kill off some of those pesky rep points now? :)

(And yes, we've done that joke already...)

David Bailey
8th-November-2007, 04:33 PM
I can't see "thousands" happening to anyone, any time soon
:rofl: Boy, 2 years on that looks like a very silly statement...

Steven666
8th-November-2007, 04:36 PM
Reset please. I only have 38 reps points. :-(

straycat
8th-November-2007, 04:38 PM
:rofl: Boy, 2 years on that looks like a very silly statement...
Perhaps.

STOP SPENDING SO MUCH TIME ON THE FORUM DAVIDJAMES!!!!!
But maybe that doesn't :whistle:

Beowulf
8th-November-2007, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a rep re-set either. It's rather inflated and meaningless really. Nice to get comments about posts but the actuall score means nothing really.

David Franklin
8th-November-2007, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a rep re-set either. It's rather inflated and meaningless really. Nice to get comments about posts but the actuall score means nothing really.Only problem with a rep re-set is that newbies come along and see "DavidJames: 10000 posts over 5 years, but only 27 rep. Obviously rarely posts anything of worth".

And newbies should have to lurk ages before coming to that conclusion... :whistle:

David Bailey
8th-November-2007, 04:56 PM
Only problem with a rep re-set is that newbies come along and see "DavidJames: 10000 posts over 5 years, but only 27 rep. Obviously rarely posts anything of worth".

And newbies should have to lurk ages before coming to that conclusion... :whistle:
True. We should probably have a post reset as well. In fact, let's just kill all the stats altogether.

Connie
8th-November-2007, 04:59 PM
If there has to be rep at all (still dont see a need for it) wouldnt it be more accurate if the rep was calculated as a procentage of the amount of posts the individual had made?

The procentage could then equate to one of 5 levels of rep.......

Stuart M
9th-November-2007, 10:07 AM
If there has to be rep at all (still dont see a need for it) wouldnt it be more accurate if the rep was calculated as a procentage of the amount of posts the individual had made?

The procentage could then equate to one of 5 levels of rep.......

Sounds like a good idea, assuming you mean percentage (for a moment I thought "procentage" was some esoteric statistical term, but googling it only came up with about 7000 typos for percentage, and no distinct definition).

DavidY
9th-November-2007, 10:18 AM
If there has to be rep at all (still dont see a need for it) wouldnt it be more accurate if the rep was calculated as a procentage of the amount of posts the individual had made?Not for everybody- posts are counted since you joined the forum, but rep is only counted since the last rep reset. There wasn't always a rep system either, so any posts I made in 2003, for instance, have no realistic prospect of being "repped".

My favourite suggestion (can't remember who made it) is to have a system where rep "decays" so the most recent posts count most.

You could do really complex stuff with "half-life" rules but a simple rule would be to only look back at the last 6 months (on a rolling basis).

So for instance if you counted "rep points in the last 6 months" (and if you wanted a percentage, "posts made in the last 6 months" as a denominator) then you could have a more realistic count of who's contributed recently.

I don't know if the forum software allows anything that sophisticated though.

David Bailey
9th-November-2007, 10:24 AM
My favourite suggestion (can't remember who made it) is to have a system where rep "decays" so the most recent posts count most.
That was me! I think - could have been ESG, but I do remember it... I think it was a "1% per week" thing - but I suspect that's practically impossible to implement.

Caro
9th-November-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't want a rep re-set.

I'm a few days away from my 2nd rep power point and a few more rep points away from my third... So as usual I suspect as soon as I reach one of them, Franck will change everything and I'll get back to 1. So unfair :tears: :tears: :tears:

David Franklin
9th-November-2007, 10:39 AM
That was me! I think - could have been ESG, but I do remember it... I think it was a "1% per week" thing - but I suspect that's practically impossible to implement.I don't see why it would be any significantly harder than any of the other options.

stewart38
9th-November-2007, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to a rep re-set either. It's rather inflated and meaningless really. Nice to get comments about posts but the actuall score means nothing really.

It kind of suggests how 'impotant' your contribution to the forum has been over the years to me

wether by joke, fact,help etc etc

I cant see it being meaningless ?

A decreasing rep score may create more rep tarts

I dont give much rep out but when I do I always tend to get some back

David Bailey
9th-November-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't see why it would be any significantly harder than any of the other options.
Lots of calculation involved - rounding etc. - plus a regular systems admin task to set up.

Whereas a re-set is simple, and it has precedent.

Although possibly I'm just motivated by anticipating the howls of anguish coming from people like Caro. :devil:

David Franklin
9th-November-2007, 11:35 AM
Lots of calculation involved - rounding etc. - plus a regular systems admin task to set up.new_rep = floor(old_rep * .99 +.5) is hardly "lots of calculation". I know that Franck occasionally does a "recalc rep from scratch rather than use running totals", and it would be a little tricky to keep that consistent. But then the whole point of that recalc is to fix errors in the running totals, so if they don't match perfectly it's hardly the end of the world.

Yeah, you'd have to run it once a week, but I can't see that as much of a problem.

Whereas a re-set is simple, and it has precedent.True. What would be nice (but is probably not simple) is a way of knowing how many posts someone has made since the last reset. Given that we have had certain posters claiming "My posts have more support that yours, because I've got 200 rep in the 3 months I've been here and you only have 2000 rep over 5 years".

Although possibly I'm just motivated by anticipating the howls of anguish coming from people like Caro. :devil:Are you related to Catbert by any chance?

Caro
9th-November-2007, 11:44 AM
Although possibly I'm just motivated by anticipating the howls of anguish coming from people like Caro. :devil:

yeah, right, like you don't look at your rep score... if I was bored I'd link to all the threads you have created on the subject of rep... :rofl:

DJ, rep-obsessed moderator ?

David Bailey
9th-November-2007, 11:58 AM
yeah, right, like you don't look at your rep score... if I was bored I'd link to all the threads you have created on the subject of rep... :rofl:

DJ, rep-obsessed moderator ?
I'm obsessed with getting rid of it, does that count?

Twirly
9th-November-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm obsessed with getting rid of it, does that count?

Is that an invitation to everyone to neg rep you? :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
9th-November-2007, 12:05 PM
yeah, right, like you don't look at your rep score...

He probably doesn't :)

Caro
9th-November-2007, 12:08 PM
He probably doesn't :)

clearly not (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/chit-chat/13909-no-more-rep-me-ever-again.html):rolleyes:

David Bailey
9th-November-2007, 12:15 PM
Is that an invitation to everyone to neg rep you? :devil:
Feel free...

Actually, getting Catbert-y about it, I think the ideal solution is for Franck to re-recalculate the power formula, that could cause more pain... :devil:

Andy McGregor
9th-November-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm obsessed with getting rid of it, does that count?I think you're obsessed with having it all, all I tell you, All, ALL, ALL