PDA

View Full Version : SDF 2nd Series

drathzel
28th-November-2005, 10:05 PM
I've just recieved this!!!

STRICTLY DANCE FEVER IS BACK!

GRAHAM NORTON WILL BE BACK ON THE ROAD LOOKING FOR NEW CONTESTANTS TO COMPETE IN THE SECOND SERIES

WHATEVER YOUR STYLE - SALSA TO STREET, LEROC TO LINDYHOP, BALLROOM TO BODYPOPPING GRAHAM WANTS TO SEE YOU DANCE!

TO GET AN APPLICATION FORM CALL:
09011 22 33 00
CALLS COST 25P

E-MAIL: strictlydancefever@bbc.co.uk

OR DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION FORM AT: www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever.co.uk

COUPLES OR SINGLES CAN APPLY BUT MUST BE OVER 18
ALL ENTRANTS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR 8 WEEKS DURING APRIL AND MAY
ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE UK RESIDENTS & AMATEUR DANCERS

robd
28th-November-2005, 10:13 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I loved watching this though I know people's opinion of GN is mixed. Looking forward to April/May.

Wonder if contestants from series 1 will be forbidden from re-entering?

Robert

Baruch
29th-November-2005, 01:23 AM
So the obvious question is, are any forumites going to enter?

Gojive
29th-November-2005, 01:26 AM
So the obvious question is, are any forumites going to enter?

I'm not (too old! :tears: ), but I'd love to see Viktor and Carol(e) have another go :cheers:

Lounge Lizard
29th-November-2005, 12:02 PM
ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE UK RESIDENTS & AMATEUR DANCERSthey said this last time what is the criteria for amateur - Not getting paid at all for any dance related activities
Not getting paid a lot for any dance related activities
Not getting paid very often for any dance related activities
or all of the above unless they think you will look good on TV!!

I seem to remember some of the dancers last series relied on their dancing for their income
Peter

Paul F
29th-November-2005, 12:22 PM
I would love to have a go but I just cant take so much time off work in one block :sad:

David Bailey
29th-November-2005, 12:32 PM
they said this last time what is the criteria for amateur - Not getting paid at all for any dance related activities
Not getting paid a lot for any dance related activities
Not getting paid very often for any dance related activities
or all of the above unless they think you will look good on TV!!

I seem to remember some of the dancers last series relied on their dancing for their income
Peter
The criteria last time were extremely loose - i.e. the definition of a "professional" was "someone making a full-time living in that area". By that definition, almost anyone in the MJ world could enter.

I remember getting my very first negative rep, during series 1, for saying that, in those terms, Viktor wasn't a "professional" - ahh, those were the days :nostalgia icon:

I still disagree with the Beeb's "definition", BTW; it's set so loosely to allow the widest possible range of entrants, so makes the best telly.

Oh, and I still intensely dislike Graham bloody Norton, no power on Earth will convince me he's the right guy to do anything rather than poke fun at people who have more dancing talent in their little finger than he has in his entire bod.

Did I mention I disliked Series 1? :whistle:

David Franklin
29th-November-2005, 12:52 PM
The criteria last time were extremely loose - i.e. the definition of a "professional" was "someone making a full-time living in that area". By that definition, almost anyone in the MJ world could enter.

I still disagree with the Beeb's "definition", BTW; it's set so loosely to allow the widest possible range of entrants, so makes the best telly. And I think many of those entrants were unfairly mocked because of the definition. A lot entered thinking "it's for people who like dancing, and want to learn how to dance" - and then the BBC took the **** because they didn't know how to dance already! :angry:

It will be interesting to see who applies this series - I can't see nearly so many "hopeful amateurs with no training" applying this time. Nor many over 30's!

And of course the other factor for those who followed beyond the end of the series is "Where are they now?". From what I've seen, I certainly wouldn't want to trade places with Joseph and Sadie. [Again, I think most over 30's would find it hard to justify giving up their current careers for a brief stint in a dance troupe].

Oh, and I still intensely dislike Graham bloody Norton, no power on Earth will convince me he's the right guy to do anything rather than poke fun at people who have more dancing talent in their little finger than he has in his entire bod.Having been to the filming of a couple of episodes, I have to say the presenter's job is a lot harder than it looks on telly. Although I can't say he's my favourite presenter either.

But I found I was far more annoyed about the poor judging - they seemed to have very little idea about lead/follow, and it was very clear that some dance styles were the "kiss of death" - if you had to do a ballroom dance you would be left at the bottom of the leader board however well you danced.

Did I mention I disliked Series 1? :whistle:Although we were hooked, it was definitely one of those shows you watch despite the efforts of the producers. (Who still think we'd all rather watch the face of an ugly singer than the guest dancers) :angry:

Grump, grump, harumph, continued page 89...

jivecat
29th-November-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm not (too old! :tears: ), but I'd love to see Viktor and Carol(e) have another go :cheers:

I'd love to apply, despite being far too old, just for the hell of it. After all, I could hardly be worse than the nutcases they feature in the short "Let's all have a laugh at the expense of these idiots" clips. The audition might be quite fun just to see what happens, and I'm not likely to have to worry about getting six weeks off work!

I don't mind Graham Norton. But then, I've got rather fond of Grandad Brucie as well.:really:

Chicklet
29th-November-2005, 02:16 PM
And of course the other factor for those who followed beyond the end of the series is "Where are they now?". From what I've seen, I certainly wouldn't want to trade places with Joseph and Sadie. .

What have you seen David????
Seriously, what DID they end up doing??
ta

Paul F
29th-November-2005, 02:43 PM
Ive just realised my last post must have sounded really arrogant. I, in no way, expect I would ever make it through to warrant the 8 weeks off work but I wouldnt enter just for the laugh. I would have to budget the time off just in case a miracle did happen!

As for series 2, Im not so sure. I wasnt overly impressed with the first series and stopped watching it half way through.
I suppose I will just wait and see if the program clashes with the start of any dance freestyles ;)
SCD at present allows me just enough time to get to a reasonably close freestyle if I watch the whole show.

Lynn
29th-November-2005, 02:56 PM
SCD at present allows me just enough time to get to a reasonably close freestyle if I watch the whole show.I wouldn't miss SCD, (or ITT) but I definitely didn't have the same 'must watch or video' to SDF. Then again they are two very different shows and SCD has professionals taking part and non-dancers learning - both points which IMO make it interesting viewing, wheras SDF to me is like the dance version of the X Factor.

David Franklin
29th-November-2005, 03:12 PM
taThey ended up as dancers in the 2nd series of Burn the Floor, and basically looked completely out of place and outclassed by the regular dancers (not just my verdict, the show reviews in the papers commented on it). And they didn't look like they were enjoying it, either.

If you do a search for "Burn the Floor" you can probably find some references - the search page isn't working properly for me right now though.

Stuart
30th-November-2005, 08:40 AM
ta

This for one thing. I came across it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C05YFY/qid=1133335882/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_11_3/026-7043345-067004

foxylady
30th-November-2005, 09:52 AM
ta

If anyone's interested, it seems that they will be doing a cabaret at the Big Phat Friday this week (ie Friday).

(and Franco has them teaching at Bognor too - oh the giddy heights of stardom....)

jivecat
30th-November-2005, 09:58 AM
Deleted. Wrong thread.

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 10:19 AM
If anyone's interested, it seems that they will be doing a cabaret at the Big Phat Friday this week (ie Friday).

(and Franco has them teaching at Bognor too - oh the giddy heights of stardom....)
So, cabaret, Jive Aces, class - will there be any time for, you know, this dancing stuff? :devil:

WittyBird
1st-December-2005, 12:55 AM
well that's my application posted :whistle:

doc martin
1st-December-2005, 05:14 PM
The new series of Strictly Dance Fever is looking for contestants. Is there anyone on the forum who is thinking of auditioning?

If you are the application form is here:

SDF application form (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/dancefever/news/2005/11/23/27476.shtml)

It looks like they also want a tape of your dance routine to decide whether to audition you or not. I find it hard to believe that they did this last time (remember the birdie).

I love the idea of getting all that dance tuition, but feel there are some drawbacks to entering....

I am too old, fat and ugly to get an audition if I have to send a tape in
I would have to take several weeks off of work (not a huge problem as I am a student, but the timing would be bad)
I don't think I would tolerate the criticism of the judges too well
I don't teach (this seemed to be a prerequisite last time)
I hate the idea of seeing myself on TV (see point 1)
Sparkly costumes don't suit me (see point 1 again)
The temptation to strangle Graham Norton when nobody was looking would probably be too great to resist (if it was Bruce Forsyth there would be no probably about it)

**There is no requirement for DavidJames to post on this thread as his views on competition are already very well known. In fact, if he does post that anyone entering the competition would be sullying the ethos of ceroc, I will -ve rep him. Fair enough?

David Bailey
1st-December-2005, 05:28 PM
**There is no requirement for DavidJames to post on this thread
What, you think that'll stop me? :rofl:

as his views on competition are already very well known. In fact, if he does post that anyone entering the competition would be sullying the ethos of ceroc, I will -ve rep him. Fair enough?
Actually, I'm a big fan of dance competitions - check out the SCD thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6354) if you don't believe me, and if you can find any ranting about competitions there I'll take my -ve rep like a man*.

I don't like SDF because it's naff (mainly for the reasons you posted, especially the anti-Graham-bloody-Norton stuff). I had an open mind (well, by my standards) for the first season, but I just lost more and more enthusiasm for it as it went on, it seemed to be mean-spirited and destructive.

Also, I thought there was an SDF thread already somewhere?

* Wingeing and moaning, in other words.

doc martin
1st-December-2005, 06:00 PM

Actually, I'm a big fan of changing avatars - check out the Avatar suggestions? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5216) if you don't believe me, and if you can find any ranting about dogs in spin dryers there I'll take my -ve rep like a man*.
Yes, I've seen your posts on SCD and the last series of SDF, so I thought the title of this thread would catch your attention. Plus I knew that, if I mentioned you, you would have to post and that would get the thread going (cunning eh?)

Also, I thought there was an SDF thread already somewhere?[/SIZE]
True, but we got a new thread for the new SCD series, so....

ducasi
2nd-December-2005, 12:03 AM
True, but we got a new thread for the new SCD series, so.... so... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7048) :whistle:

:wink:

Petal
2nd-December-2005, 02:39 PM

Actually, I'm a big fan of dance competitions - check out the SCD thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6354) if you don't believe me, and if you can find any ranting about competitions there I'll take my -ve rep like a man*.

I don't like SDF because it's naff (mainly for the reasons you posted, especially the anti-Graham-bloody-Norton stuff). I had an open mind (well, by my standards) for the first season, but I just lost more and more enthusiasm for it as it went on, it seemed to be mean-spirited and destructive.

Also, I thought there was an SDF thread already somewhere?

* Wingeing and moaning, in other words.

:mad: Boys, Boys, really, now play nice.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Petal
2nd-December-2005, 02:42 PM
The new series of Strictly Dance Fever is looking for contestants. Is there anyone on the forum who is thinking of auditioning?

If you are the application form is here:

SDF application form (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefever/dancefever/news/2005/11/23/27476.shtml)

It looks like they also want a tape of your dance routine to decide whether to audition you or not. I find it hard to believe that they did this last time (remember the birdie).

I love the idea of getting all that dance tuition, but feel there are some drawbacks to entering....

I am too old, fat and ugly to get an audition if I have to send a tape in
I would have to take several weeks off of work (not a huge problem as I am a student, but the timing would be bad)
I don't think I would tolerate the criticism of the judges too well
I don't teach (this seemed to be a prerequisite last time)
I hate the idea of seeing myself on TV (see point 1)
Sparkly costumes don't suit me (see point 1 again)
The temptation to strangle Graham Norton when nobody was looking would probably be too great to resist (if it was Bruce Forsyth there would be no probably about it)

**There is no requirement for DavidJames to post on this thread as his views on competition are already very well known. In fact, if he does post that anyone entering the competition would be sullying the ethos of ceroc, I will -ve rep him. Fair enough?

:whistle: Ooops. that'll be the dolly out of the pram again.:rofl: :rofl:

doc martin
2nd-December-2005, 03:12 PM
so... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7048) :whistle:

:wink:
So, I missed the other thread. Mea maxima culpa. I have read it now, and everything I wanted to say in this thread has already been said there. Except....

... Nobody has yet said they will enter. Paul F and jivecat both said they would like to. Even known competers like David Franklin seem to have been put off entering by the last series. Is there anyone on this forum who would be prepared to put up with the mockery? Perhaps if someone is auditioning they will keep quiet in case things don't go as well as they would like :whistle: .

ducasi
2nd-December-2005, 04:30 PM
So, I missed the other thread. Mea maxima culpa. No problem... I just thought you'd want to see it, and to maybe explain what DJ meant in his post.

... Nobody has yet said they will enter. WittyBird has certainly implied that she is entering. I wish her the very best. :flower:

uk-jive
3rd-December-2005, 01:28 AM
Applications for auditions are now being sought for series 2 of SDF.

Strictly Dance Fever Auditions (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/news-detail.asp?NewsID=931)

Fingers crossed we'll see some MJ'ers in the final line-up again. :nice:

> [EDIT] - Sorry... I missed the existing thread... Perhaps a moderator could remove this to avoid duplication??? Sorry again!!

David Franklin
3rd-December-2005, 12:21 PM
... Nobody has yet said they will enter. Paul F and jivecat both said they would like to. Even known competers like David Franklin seem to have been put off entering by the last series. "Known competers"? :eek: Not any more! Not to sound like an AA member, but:

Hello, my name's Dave, and it's been 14 months since my last competition...

Nor is it true to say the last series put us off - because I can honestly say we never thought about entering series 1, other than in a "could you imagine anything more awful?" kind of way. (Though at least we'd be safe in the knowledge we wouldn't have a snowball's chance of getting to the televised stages).

Is there anyone on this forum who would be prepared to put up with the mockery? Perhaps if someone is auditioning they will keep quiet in case things don't go as well as they would like :whistle: .I know quite a few who entered last year - some posted here about their experiences, some didn't. But with the benefit of hindsight, I think most of them would be far more wary about doing it again.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
3rd-December-2005, 04:03 PM
I watched SDF from about half way through the series and loved it! I'm going to start watching SCD too, but unfortunately I always miss the beginning of it. I hope some Ceroc peeps enter this year, it sounds like fun! I, like some of you have said, have several reasons not to enter:

1. April/may will probably be getting into full time show rehearsals
2. No dance partner
3. Not nearly experienced enough, and not a fast enough learner
4. Probably not fit enough
5. Don't think i'm enthusiastic enough presently, but hey that could all change tommorrow, who knows.

Best of luck to anyone who has a go at auditioning! I'm rootin' for ya'!

:clap: :cheers: :worthy: :flower: :hug: :kiss: :kiss: :hug: :flower: :worthy: :cheers: :clap:
Ash x