PDA

View Full Version : Baby

Gadget
29th-January-2003, 12:50 AM
Just to let you all know, I now have a son; Zander Lore, born 10:36am, weighing in at 10lb 1oz. All as well as can be expected.
See you at the Beach.

John S
29th-January-2003, 01:33 AM
Congrats to you and your lady - 10lb 1oz - wow, that's a load off more than her mind!

Care to explain the unusual names?

TheTramp
29th-January-2003, 01:43 AM
Gadget....

Wow. Great news. Congrats to you and the missus.

As John S says, interesting names....

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
29th-January-2003, 10:52 AM
not any more unusual than Gadget really :)

Hope you have an interesting surname to go with it..
oh..and congratulations :)

Lou
29th-January-2003, 12:51 PM
Ahhh... it's obviously Zander after the feller in Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and Lore after Data's evil twin brother in Star Trek TNG.

*grin*

OK - maybe not, but really great names! Congrats!

TheTramp
29th-January-2003, 01:06 PM
Lou.

You obviously watch TV far too much. Get out dancing more!!!

Steve

Gadget
29th-January-2003, 02:04 PM
I don't like normal 'Tom' 'Fred' 'Mathew' 'Mark' 'Luke' or 'John' type names - you automatically associate them with people you knew of that name; if you went to school with someone called (eg) 'Ian' and you didn't like them, then you wouldn't realy like the name.

OK so it's not a perfect philosophy, but it holds true for enough cases that several perfectly good names that he could have been called were tainted by past memorys of people with that name.

So: give him a name that has very few associations and let him make it his own.
(His sister is Logan Zara - not many people called that either. And with a surname of "Blanchard" their is even less likleyhood of either of them running into a namesake)

I also tried to pick names that can't be shortened for nicknames, "_ie"'ed, form an acronym or some sort of alliteration.

{Lou - I did realise the link with Buffy, but liked the name anyway. I didn't realise the "Data's evil twin" bit untill someone else pointed it out to me this morning - but since his mother thinks Data is 'sexy', I'm sure that she won't mind. It was going to be "Lorimer" for months, until Monday; since that's a double glazing firm (and I work for another) it was decreed that another name had to be found.}

{JohnS - His mother was 10lb - streached her legs and hit her head on the other end of the goldfish bowl. And her grandfarther was seemingly 14lb. Large offspring seem to be a trait in her family.}

TheTramp
29th-January-2003, 02:14 PM
I also tried to pick names that can't be shortened for nicknamesHiya Zan, Zand, or even Zany. And of course, kids will just give him names based on various other things anyhow. Hiya Big Ears, Nosey, Shorty, Lanky, Fatty, Skinny, etc.

Of course, for his sister, you get: Hey Lo :D

Steve

Gadget
29th-January-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Of course, for his sister, you get: Hey Lo :D

She calls herself "LoLo"... :rolleyes: so I'm foiled before I even start. The intention was good...

PeterL
29th-January-2003, 02:47 PM
I think it is always a good idea to give a child 2 names. My parents were lazy and just chose one so I have no choice as an adult. If your kids complain about there names at least they have a choice of using there second name.:nice:

Lorna
29th-January-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi Gadget,

Congratulations and well done to your missus. What a weight! (I thought pushing a wee 7Ib baby out was hard enough - I take my hat off to her). Glad to hear all is well. Enjoy!!

See you back at Culter when permission is granted.

lotsa love Lorna x-x

Alfie
29th-January-2003, 08:13 PM
:) congrats:)
Best wishes to you both on the arrival of your new baby.
Alfie & Nessie

Dance Demon
29th-January-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
I think it is always a good idea to give a child 2 names. My parents were lazy and just chose one so I have no choice as an adult. I was also only given one name also, but people actually lengthen it by adding "ny" to it, or "boy,"(John) or some of my more rural friends call me Jock(is that PC?) I'm sure I get called lots of other things that I can't put into print!!!!!!!
DD:wink: :devil:

Tiggerbabe
30th-January-2003, 01:52 AM
Congratulations Gadget to you and your family. I'll bet your daughter is delighted with the new addition.:D

Look forward to seeing you strutting your stuff again soon :wink: (if you're not too tired that is!)

Sandy
30th-January-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi Gadget, wondered why I hadn't seen you about!

Congrats on being a daddy again and what a brill weight though not sure the mother would agree! Look forward to a dance on the 8th!

My daughter had a baby girl, Nicole, 18 days overdue last week and she was 8lbs 10 1/2ozs. She has very good vocal chords:sick: but is a real cutie with big big blue (at the moment) eyes.

Cheers

Sandy:wink:

PS - yes I know that makes me a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Nope just can't get the word out! I'll be 'Sandy' I think!

Dreadful Scathe
30th-January-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
was also only given one name also, but people actually lengthen it by adding "ny" to it, or "boy,"(John) or some of my more rural friends call me Jock(is that PC?) I'm sure I get called lots of other things that I can't put into print!!!!!!!
DD:wink: :devil:

You keep forgetting your end [/quote] command when quoting others :)

text must come between start and end 'tags'

Gadget
30th-January-2003, 02:18 PM
Thank you, one and all, for your wishes. :nice:

John S
30th-January-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Sandy

PS - yes I know that makes me a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Nope just can't get the word out! I'll be 'Sandy' I think!

A Grandy?

Congrats anyway - although I guess you did the hard stuff a many years ago.:nice:

Sandy
31st-January-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by John S
A Grandy?

Congrats anyway - although I guess you did the hard stuff a many years ago.:nice:

Cheers John, see you at the party:wink:

Sandy