PDA

View Full Version : Rockbottoms, January and June 2006 (Torquay)

jacksondonut
26th-November-2005, 01:33 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone out there is planning to be at the Rockbottoms weekenders, next year.? (January, June 2006)..

Just looking for some feedback/comments on Torquay... not been to that part of the world before...

Any information would be lovely...:nice:

TiggsTours
28th-November-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone out there is planning to be at the Rockbottoms weekenders, next year.? (January, June 2006)..

Just looking for some feedback/comments on Torquay... not been to that part of the world before...

Any information would be lovely...:nice:
I'm planning on doing the January one, and will probably to the June one too.

I personally have mixed feelings about the Torquay venue, and I guess the first thing is, have you been to any other Rock Bottoms events?

I personally love the one in the Isle of Wight, it small enough to be intimate, and big enough to be fun, its relaxed and social, has great teachers, great floor, great music, and all the extra added bits the team do, fruit & sweets during the day, fun classes, tea & cakes in the evening, its fab!

Torquay has all this, but it also has its pros & cons.

On the plus side, the hotel is much nicer, the rooms are nicer, the facilities are great, its got more dance rooms, so more classes, it has a fabulous pool, with sauna & jacuzzi, and the outdoor pool in June if the weather's good. Torquay is lovely to walk round too.

On the minus side, it doesn't have quite the same group social atmosphere, the dining hall is bigger, and divided up into sections, there is no set meal time, so people come & go, so its harder to meet people at dinner. This takes away somewhat on the social side, so I find it not as friendly. But, its still fab! The Lindy weekend they did there this year was superb!

And even with the minus points, I personally find it far better than Camber!

jacksondonut
28th-November-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm planning on doing the January one, and will probably to the June one too.

I personally have mixed feelings about the Torquay venue, and I guess the first thing is, have you been to any other Rock Bottoms events?

I personally love the one in the Isle of Wight, it small enough to be intimate, and big enough to be fun, its relaxed and social, has great teachers, great floor, great music, and all the extra added bits the team do, fruit & sweets during the day, fun classes, tea & cakes in the evening, its fab!

On the plus side, the hotel is much nicer, the rooms are nicer, the facilities are great, its got more dance rooms, so more classes, it has a fabulous pool, with sauna & jacuzzi, and the outdoor pool in June if the weather's good. Torquay is lovely to walk round too.

On the minus side, it doesn't have quite the same group social atmosphere, the dining hall is bigger, and divided up into sections, there is no set meal time, so people come & go, so its harder to meet people at dinner. This takes away somewhat on the social side, so I find it not as friendly. But, its still fab! The Lindy weekend they did there this year was superb!

And even with the minus points, I personally find it far better than Camber!

Thanks very much for all the information, am looking forward to these events much more... i was in the Isle of Wight Lindy weekend too, but as a complete novice did not do an awful lot of dancing initially, but after a couple of classes had a go... found watching absolutely facinating and such a talented bunch!! gobsmacked.. :worthy:

Am going along to Torquay with a few people i know, but really hope to make a pile of new friends.. a hope that it is just as friendly as the one in June, because i thoroughly enjoyed every moment.. am a bit nervous as my usual chalet buddy isnt going to be with me this time, only in the June event.

As for Camber, love it too, but also love the closer knit community i found in the Isle of Wight.. lovely atmosphere.

:cheers: :clap:

clevedonboy
28th-November-2005, 01:52 PM
We're booked in on the Lindy One next year - really looking forward to it

MartinHarper
28th-November-2005, 02:12 PM
We're booked in on the Lindy One next year - really looking forward to it

Same here.
Nine months advanced booking is just crazy.

Simon
28th-November-2005, 06:40 PM

Plus two further pros: haven't seen a cockroach there (and the one we squashed in our room at Isle of Wight was a monster! :what: In fact it was so big, I bravely allowed my friend Janice to tackle it. :whistle: ) and the waiting staff don't have to share the single brain cell as at Isle of Wight! :sad:

TiggsTours
29th-November-2005, 10:24 AM
Plus two further pros: haven't seen a cockroach there (and the one we squashed in our room at Isle of Wight was a monster! :what: In fact it was so big, I bravely allowed my friend Janice to tackle it. :whistle: ) and the waiting staff don't have to share the single brain cell as at Isle of Wight! :sad:
Ugh! Disgusting! Rooms aren't great at IOW, I agree, but never seen anything that bad!

As for waiting staff, I have to disagree there, the staff at IOW may be a bit slow, but then, they aren't used to dealing with things the way Rock Bottoms do things, they usually have nice organised groups, who put their order in over breakfast, then sit in the same place at dinner, making it easy to get orders right, but they are willing to adjust to the way RBs want things done. They are friendly, courteous, and patient, especially with everything they have to put up with!

The staff at Torquay, however, are rude, surly and totally unable, and unwilling, to adjust to customer requirements. Except the wine waiter, he's usually pretty good.

jacksondonut
29th-November-2005, 06:49 PM
Ugh! Disgusting! Rooms aren't great at IOW, I agree, but never seen anything that bad!

As for waiting staff, I have to disagree there, the staff at IOW may be a bit slow, but then, they aren't used to dealing with things the way Rock Bottoms do things, they usually have nice organised groups, who put their order in over breakfast, then sit in the same place at dinner, making it easy to get orders right, but they are willing to adjust to the way RBs want things done. They are friendly, courteous, and patient, especially with everything they have to put up with!

The staff at Torquay, however, are rude, surly and totally unable, and unwilling, to adjust to customer requirements. Except the wine waiter, he's usually pretty good.

Have to agree with the above.... mealtimes have never been so much fun.. :D It is the first time i have ever witnessed the RBs team in full swing, and so glad all the custard pies flew in the other direction.... the poor staff handled it all very well and i thought they were quite a game bunch.. I know i will be going along again not only for the dancing, but the fun and games too.

As for the wildlife, well, at least the cockroaches werent in the dining room.. I hope.. :rofl:

Rebecca
6th-January-2006, 04:54 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread. . . .

I have just booked for Torquay after receiving a last-minute plea to re-arrange all of my appointments on the 13th and 16th, to drive a certain Captain 4 hours each way and to splash out £140 each.

Not been before. Have I done the right thing? :what:

It looks like you're enthusiastic about it Tiggs (are you on commission?)

Captain Fantastic
6th-January-2006, 08:59 PM

I have just booked for Torquay after receiving a last-minute plea to re-arrange all of my appointments on the 13th and 16th, to drive a certain Captain 4 hours each way and to splash out £140 each.

YEP! you've done the right thing. :waycool:

Diane
7th-January-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Torquay generaly, had lots of hols there.

Also been to 2 of the RBs in Torquay ans several in the IOW

The IOW always does feel like a more intimate group; if you can call 2or300 people intimate!

I really enjoyed the w/e in Torquay, the hotel is fab with all the extra facitites as well as the dancing.

No mistakes made if you've booked.

jacksondonut
7th-January-2006, 08:15 PM

It looks like you're enthusiastic about it Tiggs (are you on commission?)

Hiya..had a fabulous time at the Isle of Wight last June (the Lindy One) and am looking forward to my first time in Torquay.. from all the reports I have had from others (not necessarily on this Forum), I have come to the conclusion that it will be a great weekend... I am not sure, but Alex and Emma may well be teaching and they are a couple of my favourites:clap:
I am sharing with a lady I havent met yet, so it will be the first time I have been to a weekender without my usual room buddy...

Decided against driving, and booked a place on the Coach, to take it nice and easy.. after all, driving all that way and arriving knackered doesnt appeal to me. Leaving at 9.05 on Friday and arriving in time for tea.. sounds good to me and if I can sleep on the coach even better..:clap:

Looking forward to meeting you..:flower: and catching up with Tiggs too..
:cheers:
Janx

ElaineB
8th-January-2006, 12:45 PM
Plus two further pros: haven't seen a cockroach there (and the one we squashed in our room at Isle of Wight was a monster! :what: In fact it was so big, I bravely allowed my friend Janice to tackle it. :whistle: )

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just wait until I see you next!

Elaine

Rebecca
9th-January-2006, 11:35 AM
Alex and Emma may well be teaching and they are a couple of my favourites:clap:

I heard yesterday that Emma's injury means they might have to pull out.

Looking forward to meeting you..:flower: :cheers:
Janx

You too - the 'intimate' nature of this weekender sounds like the odds of actually being able to identify eachother is increased, so come and say hi :flower:

jacksondonut
9th-January-2006, 12:39 PM
I heard yesterday that Emma's injury means they might have to pull out.

You too - the 'intimate' nature of this weekender sounds like the odds of actually being able to identify eachother is increased, so come and say hi :flower:

Had a quick look at your picture, so will have a better chance of spotting you. I am with Irene and her party.. maybe you know her. :flower: Normally dance at Kempston (Thursday).. See you there. :clap:

Rebecca
9th-January-2006, 01:44 PM
Had a quick look at your picture, so will have a better chance of spotting you. I am with Irene and her party.. maybe you know her. :flower: Normally dance at Kempston (Thursday).. See you there. :clap:

I'm rubbish with names - faces work better. I should really update that picture (shorter red hair now), but I'm sure we'll work it out (I had a quick peek at yours too).

See you Friday :D

Rachel
9th-January-2006, 02:51 PM
Had a quick look at your picture, so will have a better chance of spotting you. I am with Irene and her party.. maybe you know her. :flower: Normally dance at Kempston (Thursday).. See you there. :clap:I know both of you! See you there ... :wink:
Rachel

Rebecca
9th-January-2006, 11:50 PM
Updated the picture, but still no hair shot (xmas walking the dog). Jealous of the Bognor thread - we need more build up on this thread i think. So, how many days left?? What are you wearing saturday night? Don't forget your cossie, etc etc. . . .

TiggsTours
10th-January-2006, 11:42 AM
I think most people on the forum will be Bognorites, Rock Bottomers don't tend to be on here.

It will be fab!

jacksondonut
10th-January-2006, 04:38 PM
I know both of you! See you there ... :wink:
Rachel

Pleased that you will be there also, I am with a different (but still lovely crowd) this time, so the more people I know, the better...:flower: :hug:

Getting better by the minute... yippeeeee :clap: :clap: :clap:

jacksondonut
10th-January-2006, 04:43 PM
I think most people on the forum will be Bognorites, Rock Bottomers don't tend to be on here.

It will be fab!

Well, I havent been to Bognor as yet, so one day I hope to qualify as one of those too..!! Just Camber, Southport and the usual ceroc weekenders, with a lindy Rockbottoms last summer.. starting to be more adventurous :wink:
Just beginning to get my feet wet, as they say..

The French theme on Saturday has got me a little flummoxed, but have stripes on top, beret, pencil skirt and seamed stockings at the ready... beret looks awful as I dont do hats.. :rofl: Dont think it suits me at all, so no laughing please.... :D

Janx

jacksondonut
10th-January-2006, 04:44 PM
hiya! are their any places left??
:flower:

Just a quickie as i have to go.. believe its been sold out for quite a while, but maybe worth checking for cancellations... GOOD LUCK... :flower:

Rhythm King
10th-January-2006, 05:05 PM

Says who? :confused:

TiggsTours
10th-January-2006, 05:35 PM
Just a quickie as i have to go.. believe its been sold out for quite a while, but maybe worth checking for cancellations... GOOD LUCK... :flower:
They are reporting late cancellations.

TiggsTours
10th-January-2006, 05:36 PM
Says who? :confused:
Just that most people on here seem to be going to Bognor, and yet I know loads of people who always do Rock Bottoms, who aren't on here. That's all.

TiggsTours
10th-January-2006, 05:38 PM
So, who is going? Does anybody, who's doing on their own, know who they're sharing with yet? Is anybody going on their own and would rather share with someone they (if somewhat vaguely) know?

Minnie M
10th-January-2006, 05:42 PM
Rock Botts Torquay is fab - but just a very very very long drive .........

Although, it does takes just as long as the journey to Southport from Brighton that is - well Hove actually :whistle:

Bognor for me is only 45mins :clap: :clap:

TiggsTours
10th-January-2006, 05:44 PM
Rock Botts Torquay is fab - but just a very very very long drive .........

Although, it does takes just as long as the journey to Southport from Brighton that is - well Hove actually :whistle:

Bognor for me is only 45mins :clap: :clap:
Would you mind introducing Daddy TiggsTours to some forumites? He's going on his own, and is a bit nervous, he keeps asking me if I know of anyone he knows who's going.

Minnie M
10th-January-2006, 05:47 PM
:clap:
Would you mind introducing Daddy TiggsTours to some forumites? He's going on his own, and is a bit nervous, he keeps asking me if I know of anyone he knows who's going.

No problem, tell him to join us at the Forum Gathering Meeting place and I will introduce him to all (no Mummy TiggsTours ?):flower:

(BTW both Mummy & Daddy TiggsTours are good dancers :clap: )

jacksondonut
10th-January-2006, 06:12 PM
So, who is going? Does anybody, who's doing on their own, know who they're sharing with yet? Is anybody going on their own and would rather share with someone they (if somewhat vaguely) know?

I am going on my own on the coach from MK on Friday morning, arriving at teatime in Torquay... I will be sharing with someone called Gail, who ive yet to meet.. am hopeful that we will be ok in the same room... bit nervous as never ever shared with a 'stranger'..:eek: have to brush up on my bedroom etiquette and wear a nightie dammit.. try and not snore... :rofl: and sleepwalk to the bathroom ten times a night...:rofl: only joking... will wear a nightie though.. :wink: she may have a weak stomach... :rofl:

TiggsTours
10th-January-2006, 06:12 PM

No problem, tell him to join us at the Forum Gathering Meeting place and I will introduce him to all (no Mummy TiggsTours ?):flower:

(BTW both Mummy & Daddy TiggsTours are good dancers :clap: )
Its not Mummy TiggsTours thing really. Where is the meeting place?

Minnie M
10th-January-2006, 07:47 PM
Its not Mummy TiggsTours thing really. Where is the meeting place?

Rendevous Ballroom - by the bar at approx 10:30 each evening

TiggsTours
11th-January-2006, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know a Dawn Jenkins? I've been told I'm sharing with her at Rock Bottoms.

jacksondonut
11th-January-2006, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know a Dawn Jenkins? I've been told I'm sharing with her at Rock Bottoms.

No sorry..:sad: wish I could help...:flower:

Janx

jacksondonut
11th-January-2006, 04:43 PM
Updated the picture, but still no hair shot (xmas walking the dog). Jealous of the Bognor thread - we need more build up on this thread i think. So, how many days left?? What are you wearing saturday night? Don't forget your cossie, etc etc. . . .

Looked at your new pic, so will have my eyes peeled..:flower:

Doing the French thing saturday night, with pencil skirt, stripes, beret (which looks dead silly) and seamed stocking things. :rofl: no laughing....

Hope to get there not long after 5.30pm as coach is due to arrive about then.. getting excited...:clap: :clap:

jacksondonut
17th-January-2006, 10:12 AM
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!

Just got back from one of the best weekends away ever..
Rockbottoms really 'ROCKED':clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonderful to meet Rebecca, Captain Fantastic, Tiggs Tours, Asif and many, many other fabulous people..:flower: :flower: :flower: Had so many laughs with you guys...:rofl: :rofl:

Thanks to the Rockbottom 'Team', some of the loveliest people ever!! and to the great Marc and Rachel, Cat and Lee and all the other wonderful teachers that were there too...:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
I simply CANNOT wait for the next one.. (June)..

Apologies to those many people I havent mentioned, you are all fantastic.

See you all again sometime soon I hope.. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

TiggsTours
17th-January-2006, 10:20 AM
Rock Bottoms Rocks!

Superb weekend, as always! Already booked for April, June and tried to book for October too!

The Rock Bottoms team really are fantastic, the little touches, and the huge efforts they go to, which all seems so seamless never ceases to amaze me.

I heard Jon Brett saying on Sunday night that the Rock Bottoms weekends are like playing a Stradivariuz, they just seem to play themselves, nobody could ever plan for a fabulous atmosphere like that, or create it on their own.

It was lovely to meet Rebecca & Captain Fantastic (wonderful dancer, thank you! :drool: ) too.

Paul F
17th-January-2006, 10:57 AM
Rock Bottoms Rocks!
The Rock Bottoms team really are fantastic, the little touches, and the huge efforts they go to, which all seems so seamless never ceases to amaze me.

Im really jealous of you guys. :blush:

Hearing the feedback reminds me of how much I enjoyed my brief experience of an RB weekender.
If only you didnt have to book so far in advance I would love to go myself. I just cant plan that far ahead :sad:

Really glad you enjoyed it.

TiggsTours
17th-January-2006, 12:09 PM
Im really jealous of you guys. :blush:

Hearing the feedback reminds me of how much I enjoyed my brief experience of an RB weekender.
If only you didnt have to book so far in advance I would love to go myself. I just cant plan that far ahead :sad:

Really glad you enjoyed it.
They usually always accomodate anyone who gets their name on the waiting list. People book so far in advance, because they know these weekends are superb, but then closer to the time alot of people have to cancel, so the waiting list people nearly always get in, and quite often they even have last minute spaces advertised on the website. This weekend wasn't sold out, as there were more cancellations than there were people on the waiting list. There are spaces available for April and June now, and they haven't started taking bookings for October yet.

I always book, with the idea that, closer to the time, if I can't go, I'll cancel. Its only £10 to get your name down.

Paul F
17th-January-2006, 03:15 PM
Just looked at the RB website only to find that the only other MJ Torquay one is in May :sick:

May is looking to be a mighty busy month and is also the month of the 2006 BFG that I wanted to go to. Thats the BFG, Ceroc Champs, RB and a trip to the states to get into 1 month.

Oh well, maybe next year for RB :sad:

Minnie M
17th-January-2006, 03:20 PM
Just looked at the RB website only to find that the only other MJ Torquay one is in May.......
Rock Botts is the same weekend as the BFG and the week before is JiveTime Camber AND ( but not confirmed) the Ceroc Champs :tears: :tears:

Northants Girly
17th-January-2006, 03:35 PM
Rock Botts is the same weekend as the BFG and the week before is JiveTime Camber AND ( but not confirmed) the Ceroc Champs :tears: :tears:Are you sure?

Isn't it
Rock Bottoms 31 March
Camber 5 May
BFG 12 May

:confused:

TiggsTours
17th-January-2006, 03:38 PM
Are you sure?

Isn't it
Rock Bottoms 31 March
Camber 5 May
BFG 12 May

:confused:
Rock Bottoms is 31 March, yes, but then they have another one on 12 May.

The March one is in the Isle of Wight, which is much better than Torquay anyway.

Rebecca
17th-January-2006, 03:38 PM
Lovely, lovely lovely. .

We had such a great time at Torquay (although didn't actually see any of Torquay itself). It was so much more relaxed than any weekender I'd been on before. This did mean that I danced less and chatted / chilled / slept more, but that was just what was needed, and it meant that the dances I had were awesome! Didn't tend to do my usual 'must dance with every great dancer i see' trick, and instead focussed mostly on the Captain, which was lovely.

To all the forumites I saw, it was great to catch up with you guys :hug: At one point CF and I were laughing (and crying) so much that it was impossible for us to dance, and had to retire. :rofl:

We will book for another, definately (although not May by the looks of it).

Thanks to the team x

Paul F
17th-January-2006, 03:44 PM
Rock Botts is the same weekend as the BFG and the week before is JiveTime Camber AND ( but not confirmed) the Ceroc Champs :tears: :tears:

:eek:
Well that solves some of the issues :rolleyes:

I cant believe there is that many events on in the same month :sad:

Im sure they will all still be busy though so it must work.

under par
17th-January-2006, 03:51 PM
Rock Bottoms is 31 March, yes, but then they have another one on 12 May.

The March one is in the Isle of Wight, which is much better than Torquay anyway.

I'm going to Isle of Wight, Rockbottoms with the "Mrs".... our first RB and really looking forward to it.:yeah:

Lynn
17th-January-2006, 08:17 PM
The March one is in the Isle of Wight, which is much better than Torquay anyway. Hmm, tempting, would be nice to get a weekender fix in between Scarborough (early Feb) and May and try something a bit different. Now, where's the Isle of Wight again... (goes to fetch atlas...)

Sheppy
18th-January-2006, 10:20 PM
Just got back from the Torquay weekend, it was excellent and the most relaxing weekender I've been on to date. :clap:
Almost made up for the disappointment of playing sardines at Camber :cheers:
Just hope Storm is good :waycool:

Northants Girly
24th-January-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm going to Isle of Wight, Rockbottoms with the "Mrs".... our first RB and really looking forward to it.:yeah:We've booked this too - can't wait! :clap: