PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough Feb 2006

Lynn
26th-November-2005, 01:04 PM
OK, since there are several other polls re weekenders, and since Scarborough is my next one :grin: I wondered who else will be there to have a girly chat about shoes with/dance with etc?

So who's going?

Dance Demon
27th-November-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm going in Feb 2006 Lynn.........but I don't think "girlie chat " is my forte:wink:

Lynn
27th-November-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm going in Feb 2006 Lynn.........but I don't think "girlie chat " is my forte:wink:Does that mean I can have a dance instead? :D

:rofl: :rofl: Yes, just noticed the date! Pretty please can some nice moderator correct that to 2006?

Jive Brummie
27th-November-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm going in Feb 2006 Lynn.........but I don't think "girlie chat " is my forte:wink:

:yeah:

Lynn
27th-November-2005, 11:12 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Yes, just noticed the date! Pretty please can some nice moderator correct that to 2006?Thank you! :hug:

And Ok, the girly chat is not compulsory for me or anyone - I might not even buy any dance shoes this time anyway! :whistle:

under par
28th-November-2005, 12:12 AM
Thank you! :hug:

And Ok, the girly chat is not compulsory for me or anyone - I might not even buy any dance shoes this time anyway! :whistle:

Well Mrs Par and I will be there.....sorry to be so boring I seem to be writing this on the poll for every weekender next year....do I do any work???

Lynn
10th-January-2006, 02:15 PM
Anyone else going?

Paul F
10th-January-2006, 02:17 PM
Well I posted it on the other thread too but....im going :clap:

Northants Girly
10th-January-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm going in Feb 2006 Lynn.........but I don't think "girlie chat " is my forte:wink:Thats ok. I'm up for "girlie chat" :D

Can't wait :clap:

Which hotel is everyone in? Think we are in the ?Ambassador

Dance Demon
10th-January-2006, 04:57 PM
Anyone else going?

Me:D ...but don't know which hotel I'm in yet.......

jivecat
29th-January-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm in the Bradley Court. Got my tickets on Saturday. Looks like it's two tango workshops each day with a few other things fitted around them.:D
Is there dancing on Friday evening?
Is it possiblle to park at the pavilion place or is it best to leave the car by the hotel and walk? (In case I have a Mrs John Prescott moment.)

fletch
29th-January-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm in the Bradley Court. Got my tickets on Saturday. Looks like it's two tango workshops each day with a few other things fitted around them.:D
Is it possiblle to park at the pavilion place or is it best to leave the car by the hotel and walk? (In case I have a Mrs John Prescott moment.)
Hi Heather, its was lovely to meet you last night:flower:

I haven't voted yet I don't want to jinx it, but I should know about 1pm:eek:

Fingers crossed:what:

I'm up for the girlie chat:clap:

I have a few questions

1. what time is the dancing on till (will I need to change cloths)
2. how far are the hotels away from the venue, if I want to change
3. how many people will be there

I'm getting excited and I mustn't not got tickets yet:really:

DianaS
29th-January-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi Jivecat! I'm going too!

Lynn
29th-January-2006, 03:32 PM
Got my tickets on Saturday. Good, haven't got mine yet but they should arrive tomorrow.

Looks like it's two tango workshops each day with a few other things fitted around them.:D Fab! :clap: Looking forward to it even more now!

Is there dancing on Friday evening? This is JiveAddiction remember - freestyle at every available opportunity... so I would think so! (Watch out though - the shoe stall is right outside the hall entrance - Emerald & I got waylaid en route to the freestyle for almost an hour on the Friday night trying on shoes - well worth it though - we both bought a pair!)

1. what time is the dancing on till (will I need to change cloths) Not sure as we were very sensible last year and left about 1 or 2am each night (well OK - Emerald was sensible and dragged me back with her!)

2. how far are the hotels away from the venue, if I want to change The hotel we stayed in (Crown) was very close - just up the path and across the road, but I think all the hotels are within walking distance.
3. how many people will be there I think about 500?

Hope you get a ticket Fletch!:flower:

fletch
29th-January-2006, 05:17 PM
Hope you get a ticket Fletch!:flower:

I'm in :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just had a call to say I can share with one of the cabaret team:flower:

Is there more than one room? and where are we all meeting and what time:cheers:

Lynn
29th-January-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm in :clap: :clap: :clap: Great! :D

Is there more than one room? and where are we all meeting and what time:cheers:Two rooms - the main room is upstairs and a blues room downstairs. :clap:

What meeting? A forum meeting? Don't think there is one arranged but we could soon change that! Being smaller its easier to find people anyway. See you there!

fletch
29th-January-2006, 06:10 PM
Great! :D
Two rooms - the main room is upstairs and a blues room downstairs. :clap:

What meeting? A forum meeting? Don't think there is one arranged but we could soon change that! Being smaller its easier to find people anyway. See you there!
I'm glad you dont have to go out side to swop rooms, I dont like the cold:sad:

If you just put a place and a time we will all follow i'm sure:worthy:

See you there:flower:

Lynn
29th-January-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm glad you dont have to go out side to swop rooms, I dont like the cold:sad: No going outside required! Though if its dry its lovely to pop outside for a bit between workshops as its right by the sea.

If you just put a place and a time we will all follow i'm sure:worthy: Blues room - 11pm? I'm sure we will all find each other anyway!

fletch
29th-January-2006, 07:04 PM
No going outside required! Though if its dry its lovely to pop outside for a bit between workshops as its right by the sea.
Blues room - 11pm? I'm sure we will all find each other anyway!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

see you at 11pm or before,

By the sea:what: even more reason not to go out side, it will be really windy, it will blow my hair about:sad:

:cheers:

TheTramp
29th-January-2006, 07:40 PM
By the sea:what: even more reason not to go out side, it will be really windy, it will blow my hair about:sad:
Yeah. That's why I didn't go outside last year at all too!! :rolleyes:

fletch
29th-January-2006, 09:10 PM

It must have been strong wind:what: it blew it all off:eek:
:rofl:

:kiss:

Dance Demon
29th-January-2006, 11:23 PM
Got my tickets 'n' stuff yesterday. We're in the Crown Spa. Really looking forward to it. I'm DJing in the main hall on Friday night from 8pm til 10pm, then in the blues room on friday night and Saturday night from 1am til close. looking forward to meeting up with everyone, and getting some fab dances in too:clap: :clap:

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 12:05 AM
...then in the blues room on friday night and Saturday night from 1am til close. Great! :clap: I'll just have to persuade my roomate not to drag me back to the hotel too early. She is very sensible about not staying up too late... just like me:rofl:

fletch
30th-January-2006, 09:16 AM
Got my tickets 'n' stuff yesterday. We're in the Crown Spa. Really looking forward to it. I'm DJing in the main hall on Friday night from 8pm til 10pm, then in the blues room on friday night and Saturday night from 1am til close. looking forward to meeting up with everyone, and getting some fab dances in too:clap: :clap:
Looking forward to lots of dances:clap:

Any chance of a bit of Northern or Mowtown:blush:

I'll dance in the main room for your slot and then rush off to the Blues room for the meeting at 11.00pm

Andy McGregor
30th-January-2006, 09:18 AM
Thank you! :hug:

And Ok, the girly chat is not compulsory for me or anyone - I might not even buy any dance shoes this time anyway! :whistle:Somebody's got hold of Lynn's password...

fletch
30th-January-2006, 09:19 AM
Great! She is very sensible about not staying up too late...
I'm glad there someone that can lookafter us mad e'ns:rolleyes:

What time dose it finish:confused:

Andy McGregor
30th-January-2006, 09:22 AM
What meeting? A forum meeting? Don't think there is one arranged but we could soon change that! Being smaller its easier to find people anyway. See you there!Smaller? :confused: Fletch is 'smaller' than who?:innocent:

I suggest the Forum meeting uses Fletch as their totem and meets around her*. How can you miss a six foot tall, statuesque blonde with a fabulous wiggle?

*possibly under her, surgically enhanced, porch :devil:

Dance Demon
30th-January-2006, 10:20 AM
Any chance of a bit of Northern or Mowtown:blush:

Ahhhh...a girlie after my own heart...I'll squeeze the odd bit into my set Fletch:D

fletch
30th-January-2006, 10:25 AM
Smaller? :confused: Fletch is 'smaller' than who?:innocent:

I suggest the Forum meeting uses Fletch as their totem and meets around her*. How can you miss a six foot tall, statuesque blonde with a fabulous wiggle?

*possibly under her, surgically enhanced, porch :devil:

:worthy:

Lynn
30th-January-2006, 11:31 AM
I'll dance in the main room for your slot and then rush off to the Blues room for the meeting at 11.00pmWell DDs set upstairs finishes at 10pm, I was suggesting meeting at 11pm - no rushing required - its really just down a set of stairs!

Somebody's got hold of Lynn's password...:rofl: No, I'm really, really not going to buy anymore shoes this weekend...can't afford it!

What time dose it finish:confused: I don't know, I wasn't allowed to stay up late enough last time. :tears:

Smaller? :confused: Fletch is 'smaller' than who?:innocent:
Smaller weekend! :rofl: (In terms of numbers). Or I'm smaller than....well almost everyone really.

fletch
30th-January-2006, 12:18 PM
up late enough last time. :tears:

Yer right, it would be a brave person trying to get me to bed early:mad:

Well unless I was on a promice, so i'll be there to the end then:rofl:

:flower:

Lynn
31st-January-2006, 04:08 PM
Got my tickets 'n' stuff yesterday. Mine haven't arrived yet. :tears: Hopefully just delayed in the post and will arrive tomorrow.

fletch
31st-January-2006, 04:17 PM
Ahhhh...a girlie after my own heart...I'll squeeze the odd bit into my set Fletch:D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

stewart38
31st-January-2006, 04:56 PM
says no accomadation availible but maybe tickets ?

Is the current hotels all of site anyway ??

whos been before any good ??

I could do with a long drive

fletch
31st-January-2006, 05:03 PM
says no accomadation availible but maybe tickets ?

Is the current hotels all of site anyway ??

whos been before any good ??

I could do with a long drive
Come Come Come:clap:
I think there is still a ticket and hotlel avalible:flower:

senorita
31st-January-2006, 05:04 PM

You must of!! :D

Lynn
31st-January-2006, 08:20 PM
Mine haven't arrived yet. :tears: Hopefully just delayed in the post and will arrive tomorrow.Yep - its a problem with the post - a postal strike in Belfast. Looks like it will be on again tomorrow too.:sad:

Swinging bee
1st-February-2006, 03:54 PM
Yer right, it would be a brave person trying to get me to bed early:mad:

Well unless I was on a promice, so i'll be there to the end then:rofl:

:flower:
Just checked my crystal balls....You might be surprised, depends on the angle of the moon!

fletch
1st-February-2006, 03:57 PM
Just checked my crystal balls....You might be surprised, depends on the angle of the moon!
Narrrr crystal or otherwise, carn't see it myseld:tears:

Unless that moon was blue of cause:rolleyes:

:wink:

DianaS
2nd-February-2006, 11:18 AM
Ok have packed my dance stuff, dusted off my shoes, found that I seriously have not enough bags, repacked, lost my tickets - found them, and have every thing ready cas I'm leaving home tonight!

I have never been to Scarborough so I feel so excited if any one knows a nice walk on a beach or restaurant or some where that I should really not miss do let me know

UP I am marking your card for one of your splendid dances, its something I especially look forward to...
BTW I have just passed my bronze oin Latin and ballroom - highly commended so you should see an improvement in footwork!!

fletch
3rd-February-2006, 08:59 AM
We're in the Crown Spa.:clap: :clap:

I'm in the Crown Spa :clap:

:hug:

senorita
3rd-February-2006, 10:27 AM

:hug:

Have a fab time!! :hug:

fletch
3rd-February-2006, 10:29 AM
Have a fab time!! :hug:
I hope so:clap:
I will post when I get back and i'll txt WB if any news.:hug:

WittyBird
3rd-February-2006, 10:30 AM
i'll txt WB if any news.:hug:
You could always do a 'WB' and take laptop with you :rofl:

senorita
3rd-February-2006, 10:31 AM
You could always do a 'WB' and take laptop with you :rofl:

:yeah: :yeah:
and then txt me too :D

Lynn
3rd-February-2006, 11:46 AM

:hug:We're in the Crown Spa too!:D

OK - having done lots of packing avoidance things last night - and with all my preparation sorted for Monday's meeting (straight off the plane to a meeting - will I stay awake? Better than the past couple of weekenders when it was straight off the plane to give a 2 hour lecture - I definitely had to be awake for those - even if the class didn't! :rolleyes: ) I am now packed! :clap:

Is it a weekender packing law that means there is always one top you want to bring that you can't find when you are packing?:( :rofl:

Dance Demon
3rd-February-2006, 12:42 PM
We're in the Crown Spa too!:D

Me too..:clap: :clap:

Lynn
6th-February-2006, 08:56 PM
Had a great weekend! :grin:

Really pleased to find there were 4 tango workshops, 2 each day, building on the one before. This was so helpful, both working with partners who were about the same stage as myself and some who were more experienced. A lot more things have clicked into place in my head - I'll post more about what we covered in the Learning Tango thread later but before I leave the Tango side of things I'll just add the hour of Tango music in the blues room on Sat night was one of the highlights of my weekend.:grin:

One thing that really stood out for me was the difference in being at a gender balanced (or whatever term you prefer :rolleyes: ) event - I don't think there was ever a time I couldn't have found someone to dance with.

Music - Great music in the blues room on Sat night - I was there most of the evening - and the last set in the main room on Sun night - :worthy: Marc - with so much space and such a great floor it was a perfect couple of hours of dancing.

And I asked people to dance! :clap: Including the tango teacher in the tango freestyle (I know, its not tango ettiquette but I wanted a dance! And I said 'Can I have a dance later' and let him come and ask me...though I did also ask him up for a blues dance later) and Viktor in the blues room :drool: During the final set last night I decided I was going to dance to every track I could over the 2 hours (and with the music Marc was playing I couldn't stay in my seat!) and I was completely fearless in asking anyone and everyone. (I think I sat out about 3 songs).

Great to catch up with some forumites and have chats while watching workshops - esp Fletch :hug: and Jivecat :hug:

Roll on June and Southport!

Dance Demon
6th-February-2006, 11:18 PM
'Twas indeed a really great wekend. The venue is absolutely superb, with a floor to die for. A more relaxed weekend than Southport, with excellent accomodation. Only actually did one workshop, Nigel & Nina's blues class on Saturday, which was great, as always ( looking forward to their workshop in Dundee this weekend even more now:clap: )...but the dancing at night was fab.
Was nice to meet up with people i haven't seen since Southport in September....Lynn, Under Par and his lovely wife Sharon, Marc & Rachel, and had some nice chats with Rob Ambridge, who played some cracking sets. And got to meet Fletch, and have a few dances......they were Bostin':wink: .....
Had the honour of following Nigel on the decks in the Blues room on Saturday night, and enjoyed the chance of playing a set in the main hall on Friday night.
We left on Sunday at lunchtime to come home, but managed to spectate at James & Melanies Fun...ky Jive Class before we left. I know they were probably a bit in awe of the other teachers that were teaching over the weekend, but in all honesty, they needn't have been, as their class was great fun, hugely entertaining, and well apreciated and enjoyed by everyone that took part in it. Well done guys:worthy: :worthy:
And Finally........to John & Wes...well done for organising yet another outstanding weekend. You guys really have got it down to a T :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: ........Now! how long is it til Southport

Lory
6th-February-2006, 11:34 PM
Really pleased to find there were 4 tango workshops, Nice one:waycool: :nice:

I'll post more about what we covered in the Learning Tango thread later but before I leave the Tango side of things I'll just add the hour of Tango music in the blues room on Sat night was one of the highlights of my weekend.:grin: Sounds fabulous, I can't wait to hear all about it

One thing that really stood out for me was the difference in being at a gender balanced (or whatever term you prefer ) event - I don't think there was ever a time I couldn't have found someone to dance with. :clap:

And I asked people to dance! :clap: ~snip~ I was completely fearless in asking anyone and everyone. Woo hoo:worthy:

It'd be nice to hear from a few other who went but from your description,
it sounds like a weekend i'd like to try in the future :nice:

Roll on June and Southport!:yeah::grin:

jivecat
7th-February-2006, 12:34 AM
Scarborough 2006:
Good points -
Fab location and ballroom - looking at the waves washing on the beach out of the window whilst dancing.
Lots of room to dance.
Excellent set of tango lessons, I felt I made real progress. The lessons were well-structured to build on the previously taught skills and time was given in the workshop to practise the material while the teachers went round and gave excellent feedback.
The collective look of furious concentration as twenty or so couples of tango novices took to the floor for the tango set on Saturday night.
Meeting old friends and new. See you at Storm! :hug:
Getting a dance for the first time with Victor - a Real Gent. Worth queuing for hours:rolleyes:, what a HERO!
Mark and Simone's partnership skills workshop. Delivered sensitively and with humour. Should be compulsory for all attendees at all venues everywhere!
Lots of friendly people -it makes a difference being a smaller scale event.

Bad points-
Getting knocked back for dances -sometimes it doesn't bother me, sometimes it does.
The variable music quality. I really enjoyed Marc's fabulous sets on Friday and Sunday night and those were the best bits for me. I hated the blues set downstairs on Saturday evening - I found it ponderously slow, boring and depressing and was really conscious of not dancing well to it which made me reluctant to ask strangers for dances. However, it did do exactly what it said on the tin, and other people were dancing happily to it. I am merely expressing my own personal taste here.
The music upstairs was the kind of Cerocky pop which I also find uninspiring - though I have to concede that other people might like it as they were dancing to it. (But then, they pretty much had to, they were at a dance weekender, what else were they going to do?) There seemed to be a lack of the good old standard Ceroc classics that have a wide appeal, though as I was flitting between the two rooms I can't be sure they weren't being played. Dance Demon's set later on on Saturday sounded good but by that time I was feeling so demoralised that it was time to go home!

The gender balancing policy worked up to a point. though some workshops still had a number of ladies over - they usually melt mysteriously away after the first ten minutes. I think I probably danced about 60% of the tracks - during Marc's set I would have cheerfully danced 100%.

DianaS
7th-February-2006, 11:06 AM
Absolutely spectacular scenery and very well located, so worth the journey just to see that stretch of coast for the first time!

The classes were excellent, (small detail could have done with streaming the footwork onto a screen) and once more I came home with total enthusiasm for a whole new dance form!

High point: discovering AT
Low point: no cakes or coffee for sale late evening (I so need to carb up again at 12 if I'm dancing till 3!)

Person I most enjoyed talking with: Jivecat she's a really cool customer
Training with Jeff and JC was excellent too - many thanks

fletch
7th-February-2006, 02:30 PM
What a fantastic weekend:clap:

Highlights

The Hotel, it was lovely just chilling with good company, evening meals in the restaurant with Mark and Rachel Keith and Janie Dance Daemon Iain, Lynn and Rob, etc. and chilling after the venue finished.
Kevin my room mate who had only known me for 10minuits last Saterday when he agreed I could share with him, very brave.:D

Dance Demon for playing some Mowtown for me, Wes for the Snake, Rob for Earth Wind and Fire, and all Marks set's they were FAB.:flower:

Only one low point.

paying £1.40 and £1.60 and £2.80 for a pint of Soda water, they couldn't make there mind up just how much profit they wanted from me.:angry:

fletch
7th-February-2006, 03:15 PM
Jivecat and Mike from Nottingham

fletch
7th-February-2006, 03:17 PM
Come on Jim Fix it for me:love:

fletch
7th-February-2006, 03:19 PM
What a result:clap:

Trousers
7th-February-2006, 03:20 PM
Only one low point.

paying £1.40 and £1.60 and £2.80 for a pint of Soda water, they couldn't make there mind up just how much profit they wanted from me.:angry:

Pant's init! Soda should effectively be free - the chiller is working all the time anyway, the CO2 is free (well was when I was a bar man). Ok so wear and tear on the glass stock and bar staff pay - but £1.40. They should go forth and try and get themselves pregnant!

Anyhow I had a FAB time too.
Friday was just superb - never enjoyed a dance so much. Danced upstairs all night apart from the odd wander.
Had some cracking dancers i mean dances.
Saturday didn't live up to my initial hope after friday but once the Blues Brothers went home (i like to dance fast but there are limits) was again great. Although I will agree with you Heather the music was oddly lacking in something on Saturday night. But that just helped to pace me for the night.
Again some great dances but I did get ribbed for running accros the floor to grab Rachel heyho do I care?!

Did anyone actually stay on Sunday night - I bottled out 'cos it seemed like the Marie Celeste at about 5pm

DianaS
7th-February-2006, 03:23 PM
Did anyone actually stay on Sunday night - I bottled out 'cos it seemed like the Marie Celeste at about 5pm
Hey we left at 6 so I don't know either Heather stayed
Heather wot was it like gal??

DianaS
7th-February-2006, 03:23 PM
Jivecat and Mike from Nottingham
Hey Fletch did you get any of me and YOU know who???:blush: :wink:
Just email me them cas every one would be greeen with envy!!

fletch
7th-February-2006, 03:30 PM
I was there:clap:
We were up till 5am in the bar, it will take the rest of the week to get over it:sick:

DianaS
7th-February-2006, 03:32 PM
We were up till 5am in the bar, it will take the rest of the week to get over it:sick:
But what wa sthe dancing like!! Werer there many people around???

senorita
7th-February-2006, 03:36 PM

Hmm nice photo!! But where did he put his right hand?? :D

fletch
7th-February-2006, 03:40 PM
Hmm nice photo!! But where did he put his right hand?? :DHe didn't have a right hand they were both wrong:sick: :eek:

senorita
7th-February-2006, 03:44 PM
He didn't have a right hand they were both wrong:sick: :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TheTramp
7th-February-2006, 05:30 PM

I was wrong.

WAY taller than 5'2" when lying on your back!! :whistle:

jivecat
7th-February-2006, 06:23 PM
There were a reasonable few left on Sunday evening. Enough, anyway. I like having lots of room to dance. Marc played an excellent set again. I didn't leave until the end, anyway, so it must have been good.
Thanks for the photo, Fletch!
Trousers, where the hell were you, I didn't see you after the Friday night?

jivecat
7th-February-2006, 06:25 PM
Why didn't you just drink the lovely free tap water instead?:confused:

Lynn
7th-February-2006, 06:29 PM
We were up till 5am in the bar, it will take the rest of the week to get over it:sick:Aside from the chilling in the bar afterwards (I lasted till almost 4am) the dancing on Sun night went on till 2am and there were still a good few dancing at that point. The last 2 hours on Sun were probably the best of the weekend for me in terms of dancing.:grin:

jivecat
7th-February-2006, 06:33 PM
Person I most enjoyed talking with: Jivecat she's a really cool customer

Ooh, thanks Diana! Whoa, what did I say??

Mind you be careful who you go pulling a tart on, now!:hug:

DianaS
7th-February-2006, 10:21 PM
Ooh, thanks Diana! Whoa, what did I say??

Mind you be careful who you go pulling a tart on, now!:hug:
we were only practicing:)
and you are the best teacher:whistle:

2leftfeet
8th-February-2006, 08:12 PM
Nice nail paint fletch!!!

2leftfeet
8th-February-2006, 08:14 PM
I think he needs to fix the wallpaper behind you first....someone been pulling it off or painting on it!