PDA

View Full Version : Wed 4th Jan 06 - New Advanced Night at the Jive Bar

Lee
25th-November-2005, 12:25 PM
I’ve just seen on the latest Ceroc London email that they are starting a ceroc night for Intermediate and advanced dancers only at the Jive Bar :clap:

NEW ADVANCED AND INTERMEDIATE NIGHT AT THE JIVE BAR IN THE NEW YEAR 06’
Intermediate & Advanced night starting in the new year at THE JIVE BAR.
Day: Every Wednesday starting 04 JAN 2006
Time: Doors open 07.45pm
Intermediate class: 08.00pm-08.30pm
Advanced class: 08.45pm-09.15pm
Freestyle: 09.15pm-10.45pm
Teacher: Bill Cooper
Address: Mary Ward Hall 5 Tavistock Place WC1H 9SN
Nearest Tube: Russell Square tube
Price: £8.00 includes two classes and freestyle with membership card
£6.50 for freestyle with membership card

http://www.ceroclondon.com/jive_bar.htm

Does that mean we will never have to dance with another beginner again? :tears:

How do people feel about a night like this?

BTW they are also doing a beginners only night on the Thurs 5th Jan.

Lee
I'm blonde, what's your excuse?
Copyright ‘LMC’

David Bailey
25th-November-2005, 12:39 PM
I’ve just seen on the latest Ceroc London email that they are starting a ceroc night for Intermediate and advanced dancers only at the Jive Bar :clap:
Do they say what the definition of "Intermediate and advanced dancers" is?

And for that matter, how will it be enforced?

And, oh yes, what's the Advanced class going to be about then? Let me take a wild guess, it's going to be "complex moves", yes? :rolleyes:

Lee
25th-November-2005, 12:44 PM
Do they say what the definition of "Intermediate and advanced dancers" is?

And for that matter, how will it be enforced?

And, oh yes, what's the Advanced class going to be about then? Let me take a wild guess, it's going to be "complex moves", yes? :rolleyes:

I suppose the definition of an Intermediate dancer is someone that has been on 6 or more beginner classes and has moved into the intermediate class. When do you class yourself as an advanced dancer, when you've been on an advanced class :rofl: .

It could be enforced at the front door ,you have to dance with the someone and do a fancy move to get in :rofl:

Rhythm King
25th-November-2005, 12:51 PM
A few years ago, the Jive Bar was on four nights a week, two were more beginners nights and two tended to be the more experienced dancers. I don't think it was originally planned that way, but it seemed to work out. This appears to be Ceroc listening to what its customers want, and trying to fill a niche in the market, which can only be a good thing IMHO.
As has been pointed out previously, there doesn't seem to be any structured regular progression from the intermediates class (not including workshops, weekenders etc). Experienced dancers can find the classes too easy and newer intermediates can find them too challenging. A good advanced class, with some proper technique, rather than just moves, sounds like a great idea, and Bill Cooper is an excellent teacher :worthy: . By having this on a separate night, it means that that both groups can have two classes and more freestyle. Just so long as people don't treat this as an excuse to develop Hot Shot-itis :devil:

I may go to the Thursday anyway, from time to time. It never hurts to go back to basics every so often. I usually do the beginners' class as a warm up and usually either learn something new, or am reminded of something I've forgotten.

As for not dancing with beginners, I tend to think that is counter-productive. The beginners of today are the intermediates and beyond of tomorrow and I make a point of dancing with some on most nights. I also find it's very often the low intermediates who think they know it all and don't have to go to classes, and have no desire to improve, that are often the yankers and crankers to be avoided.

R-K

Paul F
25th-November-2005, 12:53 PM
It all depends what they mean by 'Advanced'.

Advanced in this context usually refers to doing slightly more complex moves ........quickly :rolleyes:
A half hour class can only, IMO, introduce people to 1 or 2 theoretical concepts or procedures and doesn't offer the opportunity to work with students to ensure they are translating the instruction in the right way. As a result an advanced class usually falls into the first genre!
Over the last year and a half I have been studying dance part-time and have come across loads of techniques and concepts which would be great to teach. Unfortunately it just isnt easy with a 30 minute time frame and a large group of people who may not be interested in that kind of thing.

It could still be a winner however as people love moves but with its location (central london) I cant really see it attracting the advanced dancers from around the capital and beyond. Without the advanced dancers serving, effectively, as taxi's the intermediates could struggle. Again, it all depends on the content.

Paul F
25th-November-2005, 12:54 PM
Wow, some people type fast!!

Lee
25th-November-2005, 01:02 PM
It never hurts to go back to basics every so often. I usually do the beginners' class as a warm up and usually either learn something new, or am reminded of something I've forgotten.

As for not dancing with beginners, I tend to think that is counter-productive. The beginners of today are the intermediates and beyond of tomorrow and I make a point of dancing with some on most nights. I also find it's very often the low intermediates who think they know it all and don't have to go to classes, and have no desire to improve, that are often the yankers and crankers to be avoided.

R-K

I completely agree, after demoing a few time for George at Clapham i realised i didn't do a single beginners move right, i occasionally pop back in to the consolidation classes. I was only joking about not dancing with newbies, but occasionally i do like to have a night away from them.

Lee

KatieR
25th-November-2005, 02:36 PM
It all depends what they mean by 'Advanced'.

Advanced in this context usually refers to doing slightly more complex moves ........quickly :rolleyes:

IMHO, I think that Advanced should work on things like style, musicality and floorcraft as well as some more advanced moves. However, I think that a good deal of Cerocers just want moves and fast. Which is, to me, slightly disappointing.

Lee
25th-November-2005, 02:58 PM
IMHO, I think that Advanced should work on things like style, musicality and floorcraft as well as some more advanced moves. However, I think that a good deal of Cerocers just want moves and fast. Which is, to me, slightly disappointing.

Yer i agree, excellent point. :yeah:

David Bailey
25th-November-2005, 03:04 PM
It could be enforced at the front door ,you have to dance with the someone and do a fancy move to get in :rofl:
You know, I really like that idea? :rofl:

KatieR
25th-November-2005, 03:04 PM
Yer i agree, excellent point. :yeah:

Thanks... Dancing is not just how many moves you can pull in 3 and a half mintues. You look at some of the great dancers (one of my absolute idols is Tatiana (of Jordan and tatiana)) and even when she does basic moves, it looks absolutely incredible because it is just done with so much style and class.

Rhythm King
25th-November-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks... Dancing is not just how many moves you can pull in 3 and a half mintues. You look at some of the great dancers (one of my absolute idols is Tatiana (of Jordan and tatiana)) and even when she does basic moves, it looks absolutely incredible because it is just done with so much style and class.
:yeah: :drool: - Sassy! She makes even a lumbering klutz like me look good and feel great! And I agree with your previous post too.

Lee
25th-November-2005, 03:35 PM

More recently I've reduced my repertoire to allow me to focus on musicality and style, and I’ve got to say it does help. :waycool:

As soon as I try to throw in a new move, my musicality and style go out of the window. :blush:

What do they say about men and multi tasking? :whistle:

Lee
I'm blonde, what's your excuse?
Copyright ‘LMC’

Lee
25th-November-2005, 03:39 PM

You see a problem though don't you, the ladies haven't yet put on their dancing shoes and will be using that as the excuse for dancing badly.

Lee

KatieR
25th-November-2005, 03:44 PM
More recently I've reduced my repertoire to allow me to focus on musicality and style, and I’ve got to say it does help. :waycool:

As soon as I try to throw in a new move, my musicality and style go out of the window. :blush:

What do they say about men and multi tasking? :whistle:

Well, if you were dancing with someone like me, (and if the move wasnt armjive) I would say just keep repeating the move until you are happy with it. I find until I have done something enough times for it to feel natural, it is harder to put your own style interpretation into it as well as listening to the music.

David Bailey
25th-November-2005, 03:56 PM
You see a problem though don't you, the ladies haven't yet put on their dancing shoes and will be using that as the excuse for dancing badly.

Lee
No, no, no - you're missing the point. The way to get in is to answer "There are no fancy moves, it's all just dancing" - it's a trick question, you see, anyone who thinks they're an advanced dancer by doing a fancy move will fail.

Bit like the Monks Of Cool really...

Lynn
25th-November-2005, 08:47 PM
Bit like the Monks Of Cool really...Ah, this is the new avatar talking...

Robin
25th-November-2005, 09:56 PM

'Sfunny but.... back when there was a Thursday advanced class with James Cronin (anyone remember?) you had to go on stage and do your "thang" to be allowed to do the advanced class.

So its sort of a revivalist idea .... not that I did that - I just sort of snuck in ... but they were bl$%dy fast those classes - more complicated and more moves.

oh dear ... I've just realised i've shown my age a bit haven't I ?:o

Gus
26th-November-2005, 01:02 PM
A while back, in response to Cool Catz being launched, Blitz (formerly Ceroc North) tried to run advanced classes. These seemed to comprise of spaggeti moves and lots of drops, taught at a fair rate of knotts. The whole thing failed. Views for this vary but my observation was that very few of the attending dancers would be assessed as upper-intermediate/advanced and there was no teaching of fundamentals.

My concern re the new venture, welcome though it is, is that it could fall foul of the same points,

Lee
5th-January-2006, 10:49 AM
So, did anyone go to this?

Was it any good?

Lee

TiggsTours
5th-January-2006, 04:42 PM

Does that mean we will never have to dance with another beginner again? :tears:

How do people feel about a night like this?

What a brilliantly innovative idea! Why has nobody every thought of doing this before?!

Erm (taps self on shoulder), Hipsters?

I seem to remember, at the time, Ceroc kicked up a right fuss about this, about how it was so wrong to put on such a night.

Robin
5th-January-2006, 05:40 PM
What a brilliantly innovative idea! Why has nobody every thought of doing this before?!

Erm (taps self on shoulder), Hipsters?

I seem to remember, at the time, Ceroc kicked up a right fuss about this, about how it was so wrong to put on such a night.

Maybe others had thought and done it before even *before* had? :whistle:

A looooooong time ago, there used to be an advanced night run by Ceroc Head Office on Thursdays- James Cronin used to teach it and you had to audition to be allowed to take part in the class!

Harsh too, as the auditions were up on stage in front of the rest of the class!

Alice
6th-February-2006, 07:57 AM
:yeah:
So, do we know how "advanced" is defined yet? (And did anyone go?)
I think it's a great idea- a chance to push yourself a bit more:)
Plus it gives the teachers an opportunity to cater more specifically for this group and its needs.
And a beginners-focussed night would be great too.
Just as long as there remain lots of mixed venues (and this doesn't sound like it'll be a problem!) :)

David Bailey
6th-February-2006, 09:55 AM
:yeah:
So, do we know how "advanced" is defined yet? (And did anyone go?)
There was a mini-outing a few weeks back - details on this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7476&page=2).

And no, no-one's defined "advanced" yet in a Ceroc context - although both Andybroom and DavidB have come up with some very good definitions of "advanced dancer" IMO.