PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant

Gus
25th-November-2005, 10:09 AM
Just an idle contemplation......

Looking out from the office window at my Brother's business, trying in vain to focus to prepare for a meeting .... trying in vain because just a few metres away from me outside is the biggest and dopiest pheasant I have ever seen just wandering around the back garden (well, its more of a small field than a garden/).

Now ... I've had fresh pheasant once before and it was superb ... so my mind is wandering into secnarios of me chasing round the back garden trying to catch supper...... and NO, this bird is not destined to be 'hung' for XXX days where X is a large integer. any suggestions, catching stratgeies, cooking methods, legalities, good wine to go with it......

Almost an Angel
25th-November-2005, 10:23 AM
Now ... I've had fresh pheasant once before and it was superb ... so my mind is wandering into secnarios of me chasing round the back garden trying to catch supper...... and NO, this bird is not destined to be 'hung' for XXX days where X is a large integer. any suggestions, catching stratgeies, cooking methods, legalities, good wine to go with it......

How about leaving the poor pheasant to enjoy life in the garden. :D
spot the vegetarian here

Actually on second thoughts can you please video your attempts to capture the said pheasant as thinking about you trying to catch it is just too funny!!! :rofl:

Pictures Gus running around the garden/field trying to catch the pheasant who now turns out to bea little less dopey than before. :rofl:

CJ
25th-November-2005, 10:31 AM
Pictures Gus running around the garden/field trying to catch the pheasant who now turns out to bea little less dopey than before. [/I]:rofl:

Maybe if there was a second bird, and he was in the jungle, he'd have more chance...:whistle:

Gus
25th-November-2005, 10:46 AM
How about leaving the poor pheasant to enjoy life in the garden. :D: Well ... no camera here and no help from the staff here either .... Unfortuntaly said supper has now wandered into the brambles and undergrowth at the far side of the garden. As tempting as Pheasant a la Gus is, its BL**DY FREEZING here .... so it may well be that our feathered friend survives yet another day... :sad:

CeeCee
25th-November-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Gus
trying in vain because just a few metres away from me outside is the biggest and dopiest pheasant I have ever seen just wandering around the back garden…

Well of course you could catch it and eat it and make a costume out of the feathers but hey anyone could do that.

Why not adopt it as a pet, you could become a local celebrity and take it for walks in the high street, could be your shopping companion, take it to Starbucks and share an almond croissant, you could keep us informed about its preferences, what does it eat, when does it sleep, have the Forum suggest a name, just think of the fun you could have with daily reports about the pheasant’s activities…

Gus
25th-November-2005, 11:15 AM
Why not adopt it as a pet, you could become a local celebrity and take it for walks in the high street, could be your shopping companion, take it to Starbucks and share an almond croissant, you could keep us informed about its preferences, what does it eat, when does it sleep, have the Forum suggest a name, just think of the fun you could have with daily reports about the pheasant’s activities… ... and I thought I was deranged :wink: :hug:

No .... grim reality of forthcoming meeting is starting to urge me towards doing some work .... oh, and trying to think about the Funky Lush playlist .... only 34 hours to go :tears:

DavidB
25th-November-2005, 11:36 AM
Now ... I've had fresh pheasant once before and it was superb ... so my mind is wandering into secnarios of me chasing round the back garden trying to catch supper...... and NO, this bird is not destined to be 'hung' for XXX days where X is a large integer. any suggestions, catching stratgeies, cooking methods, legalities, good wine to go with it......The Pheasant season runs from 1 October to 1 Feb. I don't know if you need a licence to hunt them. There is no point in eating pheasant unless it has been hung. You might just as well eat chicken.

My favourite dish is game pie. The taste is very strong, so would overpower any light wine. Maybe a claret? (Or my usual choice - whatever has the biggest price reduction at Tescos.)

KatieR
25th-November-2005, 11:49 AM
The Pheasant season runs from 1 October to 1 Feb. I don't know if you need a licence to hunt them. There is no point in eating pheasant unless it has been hung. You might just as well eat chicken.

My favourite dish is game pie. The taste is very strong, so would overpower any light wine. Maybe a claret? (Or my usual choice - whatever has the biggest price reduction at Tescos.)

Ive had Australian Game pie which is Emu, Kangaroo and Possum... its actually surprisingly tasty and very low in fat.

Gus
25th-November-2005, 11:56 AM
..... surprisingly tasty and very low in fat.Sounds like an ex-girlfriend of mine :na:

KatieR
25th-November-2005, 11:58 AM
Sounds like an ex-girlfriend of mine :na:

You are just all class, my friend :worthy: :rofl:

Rhythm King
25th-November-2005, 01:18 PM
An old poacher's trick is to soak currants and raisins in some rum for a couple of days, then leave them out for the bird. The bird eats them and once it's had enough, it's too drunk and unco-ordinated to get away from you, allowing it to be caught without firing a gun and alerting the game-keeper.
(Alledgedly, M'lud:whistle: )

WittyBird
25th-November-2005, 01:20 PM
you just need to find a Pheasant plucker :grin:

ok I will get my coat :whistle:

CeeCee
25th-November-2005, 01:27 PM
originally posted by Gus
and I thought I was deranged ...

Never mind all the chat about catching, preparing and consumming feathered creatures, I'm more interested in why Gus thought he was deranged or has this already been discussed on another thread? Links please, I'm intrigued...

Rhythm King
25th-November-2005, 01:28 PM
you just need to find a Pheasant plucker :grin:

ok I will get my coat :whistle:

Why? Are you volunteering?

WittyBird
25th-November-2005, 01:37 PM
Why? Are you volunteering?

I'm certainly not a Pheasant plucker, but my brothers a Pheasant pluckers son :grin:

Donna
25th-November-2005, 01:48 PM
Just an idle contemplation......

Looking out from the office window at my Brother's business, trying in vain to focus to prepare for a meeting .... trying in vain because just a few metres away from me outside is the biggest and dopiest pheasant I have ever seen just wandering around the back garden (well, its more of a small field than a garden/).

I say...eat the whole lot. They're so dopy I find them EXTREMELY irritating. Pheasant casserole? Yum Yum. Ok I'm getting hungry.

Gus
25th-November-2005, 04:43 PM
An old poacher's trick is to soak currants and raisins in some rum for a couple of days, then leave them out for the bird. The bird eats them and once it's had enough, it's too drunk and unco-ordinated to get away from you, allowing it to be caught
(Alledgedly, M'lud:whistle: )And has this approach proven equally succesfull with 'birds' of the dancer variety? :wink:

DavidB
25th-November-2005, 04:51 PM
And has this approach proven equally succesfull with 'birds' of the dancer variety? :wink:Are you offering to bake the cakes for the next T Dance?

TiggsTours
25th-November-2005, 06:19 PM
An old poacher's trick is to soak currants and raisins in some rum for a couple of days, then leave them out for the bird. The bird eats them and once it's had enough, it's too drunk and unco-ordinated to get away from you, allowing it to be caught without firing a gun and alerting the game-keeper.
(Alledgedly, M'lud:whistle: )
Been reading Rhoal Dhal books again, have we?

ducasi
25th-November-2005, 08:39 PM
Been reading Rhoal Dhal books again, have we? My thoughts too. Though wasn't that barbiturates?

Rhythm King
26th-November-2005, 05:07 PM
Been reading Rhoal Dhal books again, have we?

Is that Tarka's brother?

My thoughts too. Though wasn't that barbiturates?

It was rum when I heard about it.

Little Monkey
26th-November-2005, 06:29 PM
My thoughts too. Though wasn't that barbiturates?

Which reminds me of a song........ Poisoning pigeons in the park! Ah, such a happy and uplifting little tune:

Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring.
I do, don't you? 'Course you do.
But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me,
And makes every Sunday a treat for me.

All the world seems in tune
On a spring afternoon,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Every Sunday you'll see
My sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

When they see us coming, the birdies all try an' hide,
But they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide.
The sun's shining bright,
Everything seems all right,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

We've gained notoriety,
And caused much anxiety
In the Audubon Society
With our games.
They call it impiety
And lack of propriety,
And quite a variety
Of unpleasant names.
But it's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon.

So if Sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.
And maybe we'll do
In a squirrel* or two,
While we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment,
Except for the few we take home to experiment.
My pulse will be quickenin'
With each drop of strych'nine
We feed to a pigeon.
(It just takes a smidgin!)
To poison a pigeon in the park.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And here's lots of yummy pheasant recipes....: http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zpheas.html :drool:

Hope this is of some help and inspiration..... Now go get that pheasant, Gus! :D

RogerR
27th-November-2005, 03:24 PM
Yes rum or brandy soaked raisins, and put a paintbrush bristle through some then you can find them in the dark as they cough.

Baruch
29th-November-2005, 01:40 AM
Fresh pheasant? It tastes a lot better when it's been hung for a few days, trust me. Contrary to popular belief, the meat doesn't become tainted or unhygienic when it's hung.

As you mentioned legalities, you must have a game licence to catch and kill pheasants (allegedly available for the princely sum of £6 from post offices, though finding one that actually stocks them can be a challenge). You must also have permission to take them from the land they're on, or it's classed as poaching.

Gus
29th-November-2005, 02:17 PM
Fresh pheasant? It tastes a lot better when it's been hung for a few days, trust me. Contrary to popular belief, the meat doesn't become tainted or unhygienic when it's hung.

As you mentioned legalities, you must have a game licence to catch and kill pheasants (allegedly available for the princely sum of £6 from post offices, though finding one that actually stocks them can be a challenge). You must also have permission to take them from the land they're on, or it's classed as poaching.
Hmmm ... well the land is ours .... as to game licence ... its a trespasser (:rolleyes: ) ... and so should bear the consequences ... Re the being hung ... my nly other encounter with pheasant was years ago in my Venture Scout days ... a car hit a pheasant in front of us. We took 'mercy', broke its neck, getted and plucked it and had it over a spit that night ... the taste was exquisite :nice:

Re hunting a la back garden, the stakes (pun intended ... you'll see) have moved up. A rather large Cow form a neighbouring field has taken a fancy to our brambles and now wanders around. Any suggestions for catching and culling half a ton of fresh beef? Not sure if our frezzer is big enough. BBQ anyone?

ducasi
29th-November-2005, 05:40 PM
Which reminds me of a song........ Poisoning pigeons in the park! Ah, such a happy and uplifting little tune One of my favourite humorous songs... :D

http://ducasi.org/images/smilies/bird.gif

Baruch
29th-November-2005, 08:12 PM
Hmmm ... well the land is ours .... as to game licence ... its a trespasser (:rolleyes: ) ... and so should bear the consequences ...

WARNING!
Anyone found trespassing on Gus's land will be killed, hung and eaten!

:wink:

Baruch
29th-November-2005, 08:14 PM
Re hunting a la back garden, the stakes (pun intended ... you'll see) have moved up. A rather large Cow form a neighbouring field has taken a fancy to our brambles and now wanders around. Any suggestions for catching and culling half a ton of fresh beef? Not sure if our frezzer is big enough. BBQ anyone?
How about using a white phosphorus grenade? Kill it and barbecue it in one go! :nice:

Feelingpink
29th-November-2005, 08:21 PM
WARNING!

:wink:But only if you taste good :devil:

Rhythm King
30th-November-2005, 12:21 PM
How about using a white phosphorus grenade? Kill it and barbecue it in one go! :nice:
:rofl: However, I think you'd find that would be smoked, not barbecued. Too much uninformed press hysteria strikes again.

WittyBird
1st-December-2005, 01:11 AM
WARNING!

:wink:

Would that be well hung?

Whitebeard
1st-December-2005, 01:28 AM
Would that be well hung?
Not in the case of the pheasant - it's all internal and hidden.

But I think you could call a cow well hung.

Baruch
1st-December-2005, 11:38 PM
Not in the case of the pheasant - it's all internal and hidden.

Ah, pull the udder one!

(Sorry, but someone had to say it!)

Msfab
5th-December-2005, 04:50 PM
Practice run for christmas dinner

CJ
5th-December-2005, 05:09 PM

That sounds like bull to me.:D