PDA

View Full Version : Quote, unquote

LMC
24th-November-2005, 10:50 AM
I expect this will get me flamed out of existence, but what the hell.

[ MODE Points of View ]Why, oh why [/MODE] do so many people feel it necessary to quote ENTIRE long posts rather than snipping relevant bits - particularly if the post is on the same page, or even the previous post.

It's a minor irritation and I am 100% sure that I have been guilty of doing this myself on occasion - I do try not to most of the time. And if it's only a minor irritation, why am I moaning about it? Because I'm in a bad mood and feeling petty, pathetic and pointless, that's why.

It's a shocking waste of space though - I wouldn't mind betting that Franck could significantly reduce his storage space requirements (and therefore reduce hosting costs) if fewer people quoted essays written by others...

Feel free to quote this post in its entirety - very amusing. It won't annoy me because I can't get any worse...

TheTramp
24th-November-2005, 10:52 AM
Feel free to quote this post in its entirety

No thanks. And I quite agree with you....

cheeks
24th-November-2005, 10:53 AM

[ MODE Points of View ]Why, oh why [/MODE] do so many people feel it necessary to quote ENTIRE long posts rather than snipping relevant bits - particularly if the post is on the same page, or even the previous post.

It's a minor irritation and I am 100% sure that I have been guilty of doing this myself on occasion - I do try not to most of the time. And if it's only a minor irritation, why am I moaning about it? Because I'm in a bad mood and feeling petty, pathetic and pointless, that's why.

It's a shocking waste of space though - I wouldn't mind betting that Franck could significantly reduce his storage space requirements (and therefore reduce hosting costs) if fewer people quoted essays written by others...

Feel free to quote this post in its entirety - very amusing. It won't annoy me because I can't get any worse...

I don't do it very often but it tends to be out of sheer laziness on the 1 or 2 occasions that I have .......:whistle:

senorita
24th-November-2005, 10:55 AM
Because I'm in a bad mood and feeling petty

:hug: :hug: :hug:
Hope what ever is bugging you goes away and you feel better/happier very soon :flower:
BIG HUGgggg for you :hug: :hug:

under par
24th-November-2005, 11:10 AM
And if it's only a minor irritation, why am I moaning about it? Because I'm in a bad mood and feeling petty, pathetic and pointless, that's why.

Oh my god!!!!:eek: it must be another of those days that end in Y.... poor old LMC when will they stop:what:

I agree with the main point

stewart38
24th-November-2005, 11:22 AM

No because some people are lazy and instead of having to go to the top of the thread to see what you have said they can look just above them :rolleyes:

I do agree sometimes its over used but only on very long quotes

LMC
24th-November-2005, 11:37 AM
Quoting the whole post doesn't really matter on short quotes.

But for long quotes it looks terrible as much as anything. If it's a question of remembering what's been said you can still delete the quote - or the non-relevant bits of the quote - after you've typed your answer but before you hit the "submit" key.

I REALLY need a holiday!

ducasi
24th-November-2005, 01:22 PM
:yeah:

I agree entirely. Though sometimes posting no quote is even worse!

Andy McGregor
24th-November-2005, 05:22 PM
I love Andy McGregor :hug: He's the warmest, nicest person I know. He's gorgeous looking, a fabulous dancer and mind-blowing in the bedroom :wink: And modest with it:innocent: And who says you have to quote what was actually said? :devil:

stewart38
24th-November-2005, 05:24 PM
like this you mean ??

LMC
24th-November-2005, 05:26 PM
No-one - but I thought there was a general unwritten rule that PMs shouldn't be posted on the forum :tears:

Oh well, at least it was a short quote... :non-existent deadpan smiley:

Missy D
24th-November-2005, 05:31 PM
And Stewart 38 has a great wiggle :devil:

Has he really:whistle:

MartinHarper
24th-November-2005, 05:32 PM
:yeah:

LMC
24th-November-2005, 05:34 PM
For goodness sake Martin, do you HAVE to quote the significant content of every single post on this thread?

stewart38
24th-November-2005, 05:48 PM
For goodness sake Martin, do you HAVE to quote the significant content of every single post on this thread?

Given now it looks like the Bing bank theory is all wrong

what if that statement was true ?

Tessalicious
24th-November-2005, 05:50 PM
Given now it looks like the Bing bank theory is all wrong

what if that statement was true ?What??? :sick: :mad:

Stewart, please talk sense, at least occasionally...

LMC
24th-November-2005, 05:55 PM
Bings Bank, Upper Broadway, Ankh Mopork, F (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/guiderjo/DISC006.HTM)

dee
24th-November-2005, 05:57 PM
Oh my god!!!!:eek: it must be another of those days that end in Y.... poor old LMC when will they stop:what:

[/SIZE]

Maybe it's just "time of the month" :sick:

Nice hot bath and an early night, everything will be better in the morning :flower:

stewart38
24th-November-2005, 05:58 PM
What??? :sick: :mad:

Stewart, please talk sense, at least occasionally...

Sorry i meant the big bang theory, which i think is wrong

The Big Bang theory of the universe is wrong because the cosmological red shift is due to the Compton effect rather than the Doppler effect. See The Endless, Boundless, Stable Universe by Grote Reber and Hubble's Constant in Terms of the Compton Effect by John Kierein.

Reber showed that the Compton effect was the cause of the red shift in order to explain the observations of bright very long wavelength extragalactic radio waves. Kierein used the Compton effect explanation to explain quasars and the red shift on the sun. etc

it was in the paper today

in a nut shell the universe is expanding faster and faster which cant be explained by the big bang theory or the Daily Mail.

Missy D
24th-November-2005, 06:05 PM
Sorry i meant the big bang theory!

Is this in response to what Mr Mcgregor wrote about your wiggle:rofl:

LMC
24th-November-2005, 06:25 PM
While we're on the subject of quoting...

Like tone lowering, changing quotes is funny in moderation - but gets very dull when you start to expect it from some people. And somehow, people who tell us they are funny suddenly become less so...

Just to save D, MD or WB some effort , copy'n'paste the below and remove any spaces between [ and ]

[ quote=LMC ]I'm a miserable old ****[ /quote ]

Andy McGregor
24th-November-2005, 07:49 PM
That's not a wiggle, I've got an excited ferret in each pocket and a Guinea Pig down my Y-fronts:sick:

Minnie M
24th-November-2005, 08:16 PM
Minnie Mouse is the sexiest cartoon character ever written and far sexier than Jessica Rabbit - and definitely more cute.

And..... Andy McGregor is the warmest, nicest person I know. He's gorgeous looking, a fabulous dancer and mind-blowing in the bedroom And modest with it - I know cors he told me
:yeah: :clap: :worthy: :flower: :worthy: :clap: :yeah:

Lynn
24th-November-2005, 09:11 PM
I REALLY need a holiday!:yeah: :hug:

ducasi
24th-November-2005, 11:56 PM
No Stewart, like this.