PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Dance commandments

kiwichook
24th-November-2005, 03:37 AM
I would like to know some of the things that other dancers out there think would / could be part of the top "10 MJ commandments" we could operate under, so as to ensure etiquette prevails at all times and people leave the studio just as happy as they arrived..

CeeCee
24th-November-2005, 08:37 AM
What a super idea for a thread, well done Kiwichook.

I make no apologies for considering my ‘commandments’ from a lady’s perspective and I simply couldn’t resist giving it a biblical theme so this is a start anyway,

1. Thou shalt honour thy follower and make her feel like a princess
2. Thou shalt not press with thy thumbs
3. Thou shalt not hit the follower on the head
4. Thou shalt smile at all times
5. Thou shalt maintain eye contact whenever possible
6. Thou shalt keep thy criticisms to thyself unless otherwise requested
7. Thou shalt be polite, charming and courteous
8. Thou shalt not bounce
9. Thou shalt not covet they neighbours style, technique or ability
10. Thou shalt not give false testimony against thy dance partner

Stop at ten! There are oh so many more…

David Bailey
24th-November-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Kiwichook!

Good idea (I believe this has been done before - but then, hasn't everything)

Here's mine, commandments for leaders:
1. Don't yank
2. Don't crank
3. Don't refuse a dance without a very good reason
4. Use deodorant. A lot.
5. Don't eat smelly food beforehand.
6. Change your top regularly.
7. Wipe yourself down and re-apply deodorant. A lot.
8. Smile, would it kill you?
9. Don't try flashy moves on a new partner - or if you want to experiment, at least ask first
10. (Most important) First of all, do no harm.

Lory
24th-November-2005, 09:05 AM
8. Thou shalt not bounce

:yeah: :worthy: :rofl: :worthy: :rofl:

+ Thou shalt shower and wear copious amounts of deodorant
+ Thou shalt not eat garlic :tears:

Magic Hans
24th-November-2005, 10:41 AM
... Thou shalt respect thy partners joints
... Thou shalt not try too hard
... Thou shalt cater for and assist when partner makes a mistake
... Should a mistake be made, thou shalt carry on, smile and think "Bollox!"
... Thou shalt have fun [ .... or at least try/pretend to .... faking it is halfway to making it!]

DavidB
24th-November-2005, 10:43 AM
It wasn't me. It was the wall.

MartinHarper
24th-November-2005, 11:19 AM
1. Don't hold on.
2. Don't let go.
3. Don't think.
4. Match pressure.
5. Protect your frame.
6. Always play.
7. Always follow.

under par
24th-November-2005, 11:57 AM
Thou shalt dance the first and last dance with ones wife.

Thou shall travel many miles in search of the perfect dance venue

Thou shall dance all songs of special significance to ones wife with said wife

Thou shall travel many miles to dance with perfect dancers

Thou shalt be scorned to eternity for missing one of said significant songs( even if the significance was totally lost on you!!)

Thou shalt travel many miles for weekenders (especially perfect ones!)

Thou shall travel many miles to locate the best music(with the perfect DJ)

Thou shall purchase many dresses for ones wife.

Thou shall travel many miles to dance shoe shops( for the perfect shoes!)

Thou shalt do it all cos she's the perfect one for me. x x :kiss:

Little Monkey
24th-November-2005, 12:05 PM

Awwwww! :rofl:

Here's another one for you, UP: Thou shalt go dancing in Scotland, 'cus everyone knows it's got the friendliest dancers in the country..... :D

But I'm having problems with some of your commandments..... Does this mean I need to get a wife? Have I made a mistake? Am I going out with the wrong person/gender....? (LM absentmindedly starts playing with pair of scissors.... Snipsnipsnip....) :eek: :eek: :eek: :whistle:

under par
24th-November-2005, 12:09 PM
Awwwww! :rofl:

Here's another one for you, UP: Thou shalt go dancing in Scotland, 'cus everyone knows it's got the friendliest dancers in the country..... :D

But I'm having problems with some of your commandments..... Does this mean I need to get a wife? Have I made a mistake? Am I going out with the wrong person/gender....? :eek: :whistle:

Sorry LM.....for wife read partner of the gender of choice.

Little Monkey
24th-November-2005, 12:10 PM

Phew! I think a certain Wooly DJ would get worried otherwise..... :rofl:

(Puts away scissors)

TiggsTours
24th-November-2005, 12:31 PM
1. Thou shalt enjoy every dance, or at least leave my partner believing I did.
2. Thou shalt never refuse a dance, without good reason.
3. Thou shalt smile & make eye contact with my partner.
4. Thou shalt never dig my thumbs in, yank, or throw myself into drops.
5. Thou shalt never criticise my partner, unless asked for constructive criticism.
6. Thou shalt not eat smelly food before dancing.
7. Thou shalt not stink of alcohol whilst dancing.
8. Thou shalt always suck a mint after a cigarette, before dancing (not relevant to me, don't smoke, but should definately be in there!)
9. Thou shalt look after my personal hygene, and always have extra tops & deodorant.
10. Though shalt watch out for those around me, and not walk across the dancefloor.

Had to condense a few to get down to 10!

TheTramp
24th-November-2005, 12:40 PM
After Camber especially (but to be fair, it happens everywhere).....

11. Thou shalt not walk backwards onto the dance floor without looking where you are going.

12. Thou shalt not stand on the edge of the dancefloor, meaning that anyone wanting to walk past will have to walk on the dancefloor

13. Thou definitely shall not stand on the dancefloor talking ever. But especially when it's that bl00dy crowded. Are you totally stupid??

El Salsero Gringo
24th-November-2005, 12:43 PM
3. Thou shalt not hit the follower on the headOh dear - I think that's me she's talking about!

MartinHarper
24th-November-2005, 01:06 PM
Thou shalt look after my personal hygene

Only if you look after mine...

Ghost
24th-November-2005, 01:21 PM

"Thou shall purchase many dresses for ones partner."
I think LM's sweetie's gonna be confused by the sudden influx of presents :rofl:

Still great 10 Commandments :worthy:

Take care,
Christopher

CeeCee
24th-November-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ESG
Oh dear - I think that's me she's talking about!

Originally posted by DavidB

Certainly not referring to you two lovely gentlemen, you are both innocent.

You both follow the commandments well too thereby making the whole jiving experience a pleasant one.

Minnie M
24th-November-2005, 05:10 PM

I make no apologies for considering my ‘commandments’ from a lady’s perspective and I simply couldn’t resist giving it a biblical theme so this is a start anyway,

8. Thou shalt not bounce

:yeah: :clap: :flower: :yeah:
they always seem to do that when I have a hair slide etc., and it really messes my hair up :tears:

extras :
10a. Thou shalt wash hands after having a pee :sick:

robd
24th-November-2005, 05:15 PM
Thou shalt dance the first and last dance with ones wife.

Thou shall travel many miles in search of the perfect dance venue

Thou shall dance all songs of special significance to ones wife with said wife

Thou shall travel many miles to dance with perfect dancers

Thou shalt be scorned to eternity for missing one of said significant songs( even if the significance was totally lost on you!!)

Thou shalt travel many miles for weekenders (especially perfect ones!)

Thou shall travel many miles to locate the best music(with the perfect DJ)

Thou shall purchase many dresses for ones wife.

Thou shall travel many miles to dance shoe shops( for the perfect shoes!)

When one has seen Mrs Par and seen Mrs Par dance :worthy: one understands the above completely:grin:

Little Monkey
24th-November-2005, 07:07 PM
"Thou shall purchase many dresses for ones partner."
I think LM's sweetie's gonna be confused by the sudden influx of presents :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to buy him a pretty pink frock for Christmas? :innocent:

kiwichook
24th-November-2005, 07:44 PM
Hey there Guys
Really enjoyed hearing your thoughts! The idea came about because recently at the studio I dance at, there was an incident where one of the more "senior dancers: decided to tell a lady he wouldn't dance with her, during the class, and when she quietly and calmly asked what she had done to deserve this treatment, having watched him dance with every other woman in the same class, he then proceeded to verbally abuse her with foul language. She didn't feel like she could aproach the studio owner to complain, having not danced at this particular studio for about 11 months. She did however think to herself I wonder if there is such a thing as the "10 commandments" that could be posted up at that studio so that all could see what the dancing community thought was acceptable behaviour - simply to set a precedent for all to see, if nothing else could be acheived. So thank you, thank you, thank you all who contributed to this thread from the bottom of my heart:hug:

CeeCee
24th-November-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by DavidJames
Use deodorant. A lot.

Don't eat smelly food beforehand.

Wipe yourself down and re-apply deodorant. A lot.

Originally posted by Lory
Thou shalt shower and wear copious amounts of deodorant

Originally posted by Lory
Thou shalt not eat garlic

Originally posted by TiggsTours
Thou shalt not eat smelly food before dancing

Thou shalt not stink of alcohol whilst dancing

Thou shalt always suck a mint after a cigarette, before dancing

Thou shalt look after my personal hygene, and always have extra tops & deodorant.

Is it just me or has anyone else noted an olfactory theme running through this thread?

David Bailey
24th-November-2005, 10:57 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noted an olfactory theme running through this thread?
:yeah: I smell a rat...

CeeCee
24th-November-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by MinnieM
Thou shalt not hit the follower on the head

they always seem to do that when I have a hair slide etc., and it really messes my hair up

Aww poor Minnie, have sympathy rep, leaders shouldn't mess with the hair. Don't get me started on the head hitting thing, there is simply no excuse.

So I was thinking some more about the commandments and a few more popped into my head

1. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s dance partner.
2. Thou shalt not practise dips and drops with unwilling followers.
3. Thou shalt be suitably impressed when the follower does multiple spins.
4. Thou shalt not go dancing with rhinitis.
5. Thou shalt develop and exercise thy spatial awareness.
6. Thou shalt have more than a passing knowledge of floorcraft.
7. Thou shalt not blame the follower for missing a lousy lead.
8. Thou shalt not hurl the follower into the path of other dancers.
9. Thou shalt apologise if the follower is kicked, elbowed or prodded.
10. Thou shalt not utter the words “Don’t you know that one” when the move doesn’t work according to thy plan.

there are oh so many more...

Lynn
24th-November-2005, 11:12 PM
Aww poor Minnie, have sympathy rep, leaders shouldn't mess with the hair. Don't get me started on the head hitting thing, there is simply no excuse.Yeah, don't mess with the hair! :stern looking smiley:

LMC
25th-November-2005, 10:16 AM
*mutters* don't get me started on the whole hitting over the head/messy hair thing.

The only one I can think of which hasn't been mentioned already:

Thou shalt take height differences between thyself and thy follower into consideration and not lead neckbreaks, leans or drops if thy follower is significantly taller.

CJ
25th-November-2005, 10:24 AM

AM in the office and have just SOOOOOOOOOOOO LOL'd to this!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, help... I'm off again..:o :tears: :rofl: :tears: :rofl: :tears: :rofl:

CJ
25th-November-2005, 10:27 AM
9. Thou shalt look after my personal hygene, and always have extra tops & deodorant.

Far be it for me to cast aspersions, but is there anyone actually up to this task?

I'm up for it, but up to it??

Baby Peaches
25th-November-2005, 10:35 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nessa
25th-November-2005, 01:13 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to buy him a pretty pink frock for Christmas? :innocent:Or maybe just some ribbons for tying in his fleece???:waycool:

There have been some great suggestions here!

Let's see if I'm up to it without too much plagiarism...

1. Thou shalt not dislocate thy partner's elbow/shoulder with thy commencing bounce. *shudder*
2. Thou shalt take into account thy partner's requests and physical condition and NOT throw her into two sweeps when she has JUST informed you she has a sore neck.
3. Thou shalt not look secretly amused the whole dance thus making thy partner VERY paranoid (you know who you are!!!!)
4. Likewise, if thy partner seems uncomfortable about close moves, KEEP THY DISTANCE!
5. A dry shirt at some stage of the evening is nice.
6. Garlic is no problem but LAY OFF THE FAGS! At least until after the dancing is over and the serious drinking has started.....
7. Thou shalt appear to enjoy and be happy about the dance, no matter how dull or minor-mistake-ridden it was. ("painful" or "upsetting" come under a different category) (and in the social setting 15-minute lectures on what you did wrong aren't really fun :o ....)
8. Thou shalt listen to the music. No. I mean it. There is music going on out there. You're not trying to cut across the beat, you're trying to USE it.
9. Thou shalt attempt to adjust thy lead/follow to thy partner. Some ladies will prefer firmer leads. Some guys will use stronger leads. Learn to adjust (within reason!), not whinge.
10. :blush: thou shalt not hog the best dancers all night. They may be the only person some poor foreigner knows in the entire joint........

(okay, only slightly personalised list:flower: :innocent: )

CeeCee
25th-November-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Me
Thou shalt not hit the follower on the head

Originally posted by MinnieM
they always seem to do that when I have a hair slide etc., and it really messes my hair up

Originally posted by Lynn
Yeah, don't mess with the hair!
Okay, I said yesterday not to get me started on this one but I'm on a roll and need to get this off my chest.

The 'hitting on the head' thing is the second most annoying habit that we have to tolerate from leaders. Believe me it's not only the ladies who have new hairstyles and hair adornments who endure this irritation.

Last Saturday a certain 'gentleman' hit me on the head SIX times during one dance. I was in a tolerant mood which is why I let him get away with so many. I waited patiently for at least one apology let alone six but I waited in vain.

I posed the question "Did you know that you've hit me on the head six times" he replied, indignantly, "well your arms are too stiff!"
Seems like he actually believed that it was my fault after all.

I couldn't be bothered to get into a discussion so I took the line of least resistance and just walked away laughing. Even he wasn't going to ruin my evening because despite his insensitivity I was having and continued to have a great time.

MartinHarper
25th-November-2005, 02:39 PM
I posed the question "Did you know that you've hit me on the head six times" he replied, indignantly, "well your arms are too stiff!"

Could be.
An alternative is that he was aggrieved by hearing you give unsolicited negative feedback, so he "retaliated" by giving you some in return.

latinlover
25th-November-2005, 03:28 PM
Okay, I said yesterday not to get me started on this one but I'm on a roll and need to get this off my chest.

The 'hitting on the head' thing is the second most annoying habit that we have to tolerate from leaders. Believe me it's not only the ladies who have new hairstyles and hair adornments who endure this irritation.

Last Saturday a certain 'gentleman' hit me on the head SIX times during one dance. ............................................

Ok CeeCee,
much as i adore dancing with you, and respect you and all that..and I don't ever remember it happening with us..............I do feel there is a certain truth to what the guy said.
I find that this phenomenon usually only happens with certain ladies , and with them it happens alot,despite my best effforts to avoid it.
I have come to the conclusion over the years that this is the followers' fault, mostly.:na:
Of course, being a gentleman, I always take the blame for it:wink:

David Bailey
25th-November-2005, 03:32 PM
An alternative is that he was aggrieved by hearing you give unsolicited negative feedback.
What, "please don't hit me any more?" - not exactly a major style critique, surely. :confused:

And if someone whacked my head 6 times, I'd be a bit miffed about it. In fact, twice and I'd have said something.

And I'm not even sure I see the connection between stiff arms (which CeeCee doesn't IMO have) and "hitting the head" - unless the guy's saying he's too feeble to lift his arms up all the way over her head because she's pulling them down? :confused: :confused:

Ghost
25th-November-2005, 04:55 PM
What, "please don't hit me any more?" - not exactly a major style critique, surely. :confused:
:rofl:

Not to be confused with "if you do that one more time.....:angry: "

And if someone whacked my head 6 times, I'd be a bit miffed about it. In fact, twice and I'd have said something.
It's easier for us. :cheers: It's really hard for a lady to clout a guy in the head and not apologise. Not impossible, but hard....

And I'm not even sure I see the connection between stiff arms (which CeeCee doesn't IMO have) and "hitting the head" - unless the guy's saying he's too feeble to lift his arms up all the way over her head because she's pulling them down? :confused: :confused:
Ok, I know this one. (Before I start I've never knowingly danced with CeeCee so this may be completely wrong in her case :flower: ) It's not stiff arms so much as stiff shoulders. I know ladies who only need a light lead, but have stiff shoulders and so when you go to raise their arm, there's a sudden increase in resistance. It's not exactly hard to deal with though. Either use more oopmh when lifting their arm (be careful you don't hurt them though) or the better option - don't do moves that involve lifting their arms above their head. It's not hard and frankly it's a useful skill for when you're dancing with someone a lot taller than you anyway.

Take care,
Christopher

David Bailey
25th-November-2005, 04:59 PM
(Before I start I've never knowingly danced with CeeCee
Believe me, it's your loss.

so this may be completely wrong in her case :flower:
It is :rofl: - but I know what you're saying, for some people.

And yes, no-one forces a leader to do turns if they don't want to.

under par
25th-November-2005, 05:01 PM

i don't think I know CeeCee, so this is a stab in the dark!

Its not a height differential problem is it ?:wink:

You know CeeCee being 7 foot 3 inches tall and a little leader 4 foot 10 inches .........you can see where I am going with this( i hope).

probably got it wrong again :flower:

anyway back to my musings elsewhere....

David Bailey
25th-November-2005, 05:16 PM
i don't think I know CeeCee, so this is a stab in the dark!

I'm so tempted to give away her Secret ID, but I won't. :whistle:

In answer to your question, nope, she's not unnaturally tall (unlike some people I could mention...), and if a wee blert like me can lead her without whacking her on the head, anyone can.

MartinHarper
25th-November-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm not even sure I see the connection between stiff arms (which CeeCee doesn't IMO have) and "hitting the head"

There isn't one.
It's more like:
F: "That's one ugly T-shirt."
M: "Yeah? Well you smell of wee-wee."
F: "I'm going to tell the forum on you." :tears:

LMC
25th-November-2005, 07:27 PM
Nope, it seems to usually be a guy-dropping-his-elbow problem.

I'm sorry to say that even at 11+ inches taller than me, you have been known to catch me on the head Mr UP! But very very very rarely, so please don't take it to heart :hug:

under par
25th-November-2005, 08:36 PM
Nope, it seems to usually be a guy-dropping-his-elbow problem.

I'm sorry to say that even at 11+ inches taller than me, you have been known to catch me on the head Mr UP! But very very very rarely, so please don't take it to heart :hug:

Nothing taken to heart at all... and I hope I was gallant enough to apologise.:innocent:

Missy D
27th-November-2005, 09:17 PM
I can only think of one at the moment and that is:-

Thou shalt not date another dancer.

WittyBird
28th-November-2005, 12:10 AM
I can only think of one at the moment and that is:-

Thou shalt not date another dancer.

:rofl: is that ever or whilst your dating one already

if so surely it should read 'thou shalt not date 2 dancers at the same time' :whistle:

CJ
28th-November-2005, 11:51 AM
if so surely it should read 'thou shalt not date 2 dancers at the same time' :whistle:

Leave Gus out of this, that was a wild malicious rumour with (almost) no foundation in truth.

at all.

ever.

(can anyone hear jungle drums??)

Donna
28th-November-2005, 01:49 PM

8. Thou shalt not bounce

I certainly agree with commandment number 8. Problem with ceroc is it has a very bouncy style. If everybody in this county were to do ceroc all at the same time...well, this Island would sink!!!:rofl:

Gadget
29th-November-2005, 01:11 AM
Thou shalt not winge about others poor dancing because thine own cannot addapt.

Thou shalt not be paranoid that all these thous are pointing fingers at thee.

Missy D
29th-November-2005, 08:50 AM
:

Maybe the above should apply to just men:whistle:

Donna
29th-November-2005, 01:18 PM

:yeah: :rofl:

Nessa
15th-December-2005, 11:36 AM
Oh that's good.
So as a female there's no problem with me doing it :innocent: ???