PDA

View Full Version : S. A. D. ?

Lynn
23rd-November-2005, 01:12 PM
OK, I could go and look this up somewhere but I thought the collective forum wisdom might have some interesting answers/experiences to share (or just random daft comments).

My usual feeling of wanting to hibernate seems to have become worse this week - and the dark days have been made worse by foggy weather. And I seem to require a lot more sleep. I've never investigated whether this is just mild 'winter blues' or actually SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - does everyone/anyone feel like this?

Edit: I did try to get the title to say SAD but it keeps defaulting to Sad. Sorry 'bout that.

WittyBird
23rd-November-2005, 01:17 PM
I suffer in a morning not having the natural sunlight to wake me up... believe me nothing else works - I can have my mobile by my ear and it won't stir me!

You can buy an alarm clock that if you set it for 6am then from 5am it will start making the room lighter until at 6am the room is bright. It works from a bulb which isnt the most natural but its the only think ive found so far that comes close to helping :waycool:

Jenni
23rd-November-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah

Usually starts when the clocks go back and lasts till about March :tears:

Can even be put off going dancing :eek: when its really dark and miserable - just want to stay in bed with duvet over head till spring

Jenni :flower:

TiggsTours
OK, I could go and look this up somewhere but I thought the collective forum wisdom might have some interesting answers/experiences to share (or just random daft comments).

My usual feeling of wanting to hibernate seems to have become worse this week - and the dark days have been made worse by foggy weather. And I seem to require a lot more sleep. I've never investigated whether this is just mild 'winter blues' or actually SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - does everyone/anyone feel like this?

Edit: I did try to get the title to say SAD but it keeps defaulting to Sad. Sorry 'bout that.
I can't say I get particuarly down at any specific time of year, I have up days, I have down days, just like anyone, but the time of year never has any real effect on me.

That said, a really good friend of mine was diagnosed as suffering from SAD a couple of years ago, and has since got herself one of those light things that are supposed to relieve it, and it definately seems to work for her, so I wouldn't say for one second that I don't believe it, it just doesn't apply to me, I'm lucky to say.

cheeks

I know what you mean Lynn a few years ago I used to be really bad at this time of year .try getting as much daylight as you can Honest it does work you also get daylight light bulbs they are expensive but do the trick......

:hug: :kiss: :hug: :hug: :kiss: :hug:

to cheer you up sweetie.

P.x

Tessalicious
23rd-November-2005, 01:24 PM

My usual feeling of wanting to hibernate seems to have become worse this week - and the dark days have been made worse by foggy weather. And I seem to require a lot more sleep. I've never investigated whether this is just mild 'winter blues' or actually SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - does everyone/anyone feel like this?Best way to test and fix this, although quite expensive, is to go out and buy one of those daylight strength lamps, specifically designed for treatment of SAD - ideally with a light intensity of at least 10K lux. Try here (http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/products.php?catID=39&subID=222).

These really do work - my dad has always suffered badly with SAD, last year I got him one of these for Christmas and his students were very grateful, since it stopped him being quite such a misery-guts all winter! The best trick is to set it up somewhere where you can sit no more than haf a meter away from it for about half an hour, preferably quite early in the day as this will reset your circadian rhythm so that it feels like late morning rather than dawn.

Here's a bit of blurb about SAD:

No other mood disorder is more closely associated with circadian rhythm disorder than Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD. During the dark fall and winter months, the brain’s control center, the Suprachaismatic Nucleus (SCN) or body clock doesn’t receive the proper stimulus of light. The SCN needs bright light signals to reset itself each day. When it doesn't receive this signal, it malfunctions and produces the wrong hormones at the wrong time of day.

Research also shows that without sunlight, the brain doesn't produce enough serotonin, resulting in the symptoms of depression . The darker days also signal the brain to overproduce the hibernation hormone, melatonin. The symptoms diminish as the days get longer, although many SAD sufferers note brief (1-2 week) periods of SAD like symptoms in the summer. from http://www.apollolight.com/new_content/circadian%20rhythms_disorders/cir_rhy_and_disorders.html
http://www.apollolight.com/new_content/about_sad/sad1.html

Baby Peaches
23rd-November-2005, 01:26 PM

I know how you feel pal. I get really down at this time of year and have done so for many years. I find that just keeping myself busy, going out for walks (especially on nice days) and getting together with friends a little more often for a good old belly laugh usually helps me. Having something to look forward to is a major relief for me. So my advice is just keep active and apparently those lamps are really good.

Lots of hugs

Shaz.:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Aleks
23rd-November-2005, 02:18 PM
Along with the suggestions about special lights/bulbs, you could try:

(1) buying a sunstone crystal
(2) eating more sunshine foods: oranges/grapefruit/lemon or red/orange/yellow peppers. Foods high in zinc will make you feel more alert.
(3) orange is used in colour therapy for depression so you might find that works and yellow used as a replacement for sunshine
(4) aromatherapy oils of orange/bergamot/grapefruit/mandarin or even peppermint/rosemary as they switch your brain on.

The foods we eat on a daily basis make a huge difference to the way we feel...I (dare to) suggest cutting down on the stimulants (caffeine and alcohol) and sugar to keep your body chemistry even and take a really good quality multi vit/min through the winter months.

jivecat
23rd-November-2005, 02:33 PM
I know how you feel pal. I get really down at this time of year and have done so for many years. I find that just keeping myself busy, going out for walks (especially on nice days) and getting together with friends a little more often for a good old belly laugh usually helps me. Having something to look forward to is a major relief for me. So my advice is just keep active and apparently those lamps are really good.

Lots of hugs

Shaz.:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Good advice. Like having a string of weekenders booked - Feb, March, May. Spring can't come too soon for me.
Strangely I've noticed that round about Christmas I often have this delusion that I've got some kind of terminal illness, weird symptoms, feeling grim etc. Then, in the New Year it miraculously clears up again. I've come to the conclusion that it's just a psychosomatic response to the endless dreary darkness and the overall stress of the "festive" season.
Must be extra dreary up there in Stavanger?

spindr
23rd-November-2005, 02:37 PM
Along with the suggestions about special lights/bulbs, you could try:[snip]
...going for a walk at lunch time when it's actually light?

LMC
23rd-November-2005, 02:44 PM
...going for a walk at lunch time when it's actually light?
:yeah:

Doesn't matter how cold or wet it is, I go out every lunchtime - maybe that's why the daylight bulbs in the office don't have any impact on my mood.

Since I'm still being a grumpy old mare maybe I'm not actually selling the going out at lunchtime idea, I'll go away...

Lynn
23rd-November-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. :hug: :flower:

I really don't know if its SAD or not, I just know I get lethargic and want to sleep a lot from Nov to about March. I lose some motivation to get things done (higher procrastination levels) and can also be more inclined to feel a bit down. :( I'll look into it a bit more and see what ways I can counteract it. (Aleks, my 'self medicating' of double choc chip mini muffins wasn't a good idea then? I didn't think so!)

I think I have particularly noticed this week because the dense fog is cutting down any daylight there is. I usually don't notice it as much till January, being so busy in Nov and Dec and pushing myself on. I have in past gone for a week in the Canaries in January, that helps! Alas, no such delights lined up this year.

I should maybe force myself to go out dancing, I know I came home from Camber feeling absolutely great!

I'll try to get outdoors more often, that should help. And maybe I should get one of those gradual light alarm clocks - going to bed early hasn't helped, and its so frustrating waking up feeling exhausted. :tears:

drathzel
23rd-November-2005, 09:36 PM
Along with the suggestions about special lights/bulbs, you could try:

(1) buying a sunstone crystal
(2) eating more sunshine foods: oranges/grapefruit/lemon or red/orange/yellow peppers. Foods high in zinc will make you feel more alert.
(3) orange is used in colour therapy for depression so you might find that works and yellow used as a replacement for sunshine
(4) aromatherapy oils of orange/bergamot/grapefruit/mandarin or even peppermint/rosemary as they switch your brain on.

Listen to what aleks says, shes fab!!!!! And she tells you things that help. I get SADS in Winter, but cuz of aleks help i now tend to be attracted to citrus fruits and smells and i have noticed this winter hasnt been as bad!:clap:

drathzel
23rd-November-2005, 09:39 PM
Also lynn, i heard somewhere that dancing helps, as all types of exercise helps your body produce endorphines! You should go dancing......:D :whistle:

Lynn
23rd-November-2005, 09:54 PM
Listen to what aleks says, shes fab!!!!! And she tells you things that helpI know! I went out for a walk this afternoon (in the daylight) and bought some oranges.

Also lynn, i heard somewhere that dancing helps, as all types of exercise helps your body produce endorphines! You should go dancing......:D :whistle:Yeah, must do that! :grin:

ducasi
23rd-November-2005, 10:52 PM
Call it SAD, call it winter blues, I know I suffer. :sad:

You can buy an alarm clock that if you set it for 6am then from 5am it will start making the room lighter until at 6am the room is bright. It works from a bulb which isnt the most natural but its the only think ive found so far that comes close to helping :waycool: I have one of these. :clap:

It makes getting up in the morning possible. :nice:

They are called "Dawn Simulators". Mine's fairly old and primitive, but you can get some quite snazzy ones now from here (http://www.lumie.com/), though I've got to say some of these prices are a bit :eek:.

There's lots of other good advice for winter sufferers in their main web site (http://www.outsidein.co.uk/) too.

Lynn
24th-November-2005, 12:01 PM
Really helpful Ducasi thanks. I've decided I really should try and find ways to combat it - rather than just ignoring it, sleeping more and feeling lethargic. I'll try one of those alarm clocks and might even think about getting a light box. If I do, and it helps, I'll report back here.

Lynn
24th-November-2005, 12:06 PM
Notice it said 'avoid major decisions'. :really: What, for half the year? :tears:

ducasi
24th-November-2005, 01:40 PM
Notice it said 'avoid major decisions'. :really: What, for half the year? :tears:
I don't know, I do that for all the year! :wink:

Lynn
26th-November-2005, 02:16 PM
Edit: I did try to get the title to say SAD but it keeps defaulting to Sad. Sorry 'bout that.BTW, kept meaning to say, to whichever kind moderator person who fixed the title for me - thanks! :hug: :flower:

TiggsTours
28th-November-2005, 03:37 PM
Call it SAD, call it winter blues, I know I suffer. :sad:
I have one of these. :clap:

It makes getting up in the morning possible. :nice:

They are called "Dawn Simulators". Mine's fairly old and primitive, but you can get some quite snazzy ones now from here (http://www.lumie.com/), though I've got to say some of these prices are a bit :eek:.

There's lots of other good advice for winter sufferers in their main web site (http://www.outsidein.co.uk/) too.
I hate waking up when its still dark, so I thought this sounded like a fantastic ideal!

I found this link too, ALOT cheaper!

http://www.sales-services.co.uk/html/sunrise_alarm_clock.html

Ordered one for myself, thanks Ducasi :hug: and Wittybird :hug:

ducasi
28th-November-2005, 05:15 PM
I found this link too, ALOT cheaper!

http://www.sales-services.co.uk/html/sunrise_alarm_clock.html

Ordered one for myself, thanks Ducasi :hug: and Wittybird :hug: My pleasure! :nice:

Looks like a much more sensible price, though I like the half-hour dawn that mine does, rather than just 5 minutes.

Shame that sometimes when I'm not fully asleep, the *click* of the mechanism activating can wake me up before dawn gets a chance to be simulated. :sad:

TiggsTours
28th-November-2005, 05:54 PM
My pleasure! :nice:

Looks like a much more sensible price, though I like the half-hour dawn that mine does, rather than just 5 minutes.

Shame that sometimes when I'm not fully asleep, the *click* of the mechanism activating can wake me up before dawn gets a chance to be simulated. :sad:
I'll let you know how it works for me.

Lynn
28th-November-2005, 06:33 PM
I'll let you know how it works for me.Would also be interested in hearing. If I get a different one I'll put my review on too.

spindr
28th-November-2005, 09:50 PM
Re: lights and alarm clocks -- I just stuck a standard lamp into a normal (cheap) plug-timer -- it's a bit abrupt, but pretty effective.

SpinDr.

TiggsTours
5th-December-2005, 03:41 PM
I said I'd let you all know about my new alarm clock, so here it is.

The light isn't very bright, but that's really nice, and its certainly nicer to wake up to a bit of soft lighting (the abrupt idea that Spindr mentioned really doesn't appeal to me at all, prefer the idea of waking up in the dark!).

The problem is that, when you switch the alarm off, the light goes off, it would be much nicer if it would stay on until you want to switch it off. There is a setting to have a permanent night light, but you need to get a power adapter, and I wouldn't sleep to well if it wasn't dark in my room. I have found though that getting up to switch the bathroom light on, so that a little light filters into my room, then going back to bed for 10 mins is having the desired effect. Can't say I'm feeling much happier, but that's down to my job, no amount of light is going to change that, but it certainly is making getting up in the morning alot easier! Haven't been late for work once since I got it, and certainly I'm in a better mood on my journey into work, even if things do go rapidly downhill once I've got here!