PDA

View Full Version : dance holidays

Caro
22nd-November-2005, 07:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever been to one of those dance holidays.
What is it like? Do people tend to bring their partner/friends or go alone?
What's the age range like? What's the ration men/women?
I'm thinking of going but I am not too sure yet... that would be either the ceroc cruise in january or a tango holiday in buenos aires in february. Has anybody been there before?
thanks!

Caro

stewart38
22nd-November-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking of going but I am not too sure yet... that would be either the ceroc cruise in january or a tango holiday in buenos aires in february. Has anybody been there before?
thanks!

Caro

went to Barcelona holiday in August in 2005 for a week (ceroc) had a fantasic time. didnt know anyone before i went. If a miserable old sh** like me can you will .

Seriously I see your 25, dont know if your m or f ? from pic looks like F ?

You might feel a bit young on some of them but ask others

Lynn
22nd-November-2005, 08:37 PM
thanks! I haven't, though a friend suggested last week to go with him on that hol to Buenos Aires - but I'll be in Scarborough and there is no way I can afford it, and I don't know anywhere near enough AT yet....

I did a Spain hol with Jive Addiction in May and it was great. I went with friends but you can go on your own. I really enjoyed it and will def go on another one. I find the combination of the getting away somewhere nice, meeting new people, and the dancing, made for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

Minnie M
22nd-November-2005, 09:29 PM
....... dont know if your m or f ? from pic looks like F ?
:rofl: great pair of legs for a bloke tho :whistle:

Caro
22nd-November-2005, 09:43 PM
:rofl: great pair of legs for a bloke tho :whistle:

:rofl: lol, thanks Minnie... was kind of :sick: when I see the 'dont know if your m or f' bit.... but thanks for your reply anyway Steward38!

Rhythm King
23rd-November-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi Caro.

I've been on several Dance Holidays trips, both Lindy Hop and Modern Jive/Ceroc. I have friends who've done some of their weekend ones too, particularly salsa and tango.

On the whole I've enjoyed them very much. Most people seem to go on their own and the company tries hard to keep the numbers balanced. There was a good mix of ages. On one holiday, the weather was truly awful, but the teachers, Adam and Mandy Nathanson, put on loads of extra classes and the company made an effort and got in some local salsa and tango teachers, which made up for it.

Only one holiday out of half a dozen was problematic. This was the Jive'n'Dive holiday earlier this year. This was due to the company flier having the wrong date printed for the holiday and it was hugely under-booked as a result. The company made an effort to bump up the numbers at the last minute, but it was only about 50% full, which was a shame. Also the vast majority of the late bookers had no interest in diving, they were just out for a cheap holiday, which detracted from the major attraction of the holiday. Bill and Becky Cooper very worked hard to keep everyone entertained in the evenings though. It's a shame, but there probably won't be another one.

Some people think the holidays are quite expensive for what they are, but at the moment the foreign dance holiday market is fairly limited. I have enjoyed the holidays and will probably go again. If you're into Lindy Hop and sports, I'd highly recommend Rena Swanepoel's La Santa Swing.

R-K

Dizzy
23rd-November-2005, 02:09 PM
thanks!

Caro

Hi Caro

I went on the ceroc holiday to Granada last september and had a FANTASTIC time!!! :clap: :clap: . I only knew one person but made so many new friends and we all see each other around.

I am 25 too and was the youngest person there but there were a few that were not much older so we still had a giggle in the Spanish clubs :innocent: .

The fact that it was a dance adventure holiday meant that as well as doing dancing and lessons every evening, the days were filled with extreme sports and still had time to fit in being a tourist.

I'm sure that you will have a great time. :hug: :cheers:

JonD
23rd-November-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi Caro,

I did a Jive & Ski holiday sometime ago and am doing another one this year but neither of them were organised by "Dance Holidays". The ski thing was fun - I went on my own and it was great to meet lots of other people with whom I had something in common and to have people to ski with! I found the dancing a bit "flat" but that was probably because I was completely knackered after skiing all day. There were roughly equal numbers of men and women and it was well organised.

I've been on a quite a few Tango holidays, including a trip to Buenos Aires. I gave a quick recap here Tango Holidays (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6792). Looking at the Dance Holidays offering, my first impression is that £1,200 for 7 days is damn expensive! There are quite a number of Tango holidays around so it would be worth doing more research. I know quite a number of people who've done the Bs As thing so can probably find out flat rental, tango hostel and other options - PM me if that would help.

Jon

spindr
23rd-November-2005, 02:42 PM
There's a few companies: http://www.afterfive.co.uk/maps/Holiday-links.html

Lorna
23rd-November-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I taught a ceroc holiday a couple of years back and am booked to teach the Las Palmas holiday next Nov again. So there may be a few scottish cerocers going to that one.

I may be in JJaks tonight, still to hear back from Franck. But I am definetly covering for Lisa tomorrow at the Station Hotel.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

ducasi
23rd-November-2005, 10:21 PM
I did a Jive & Ski holiday ... If you like to ski with your Ceroc, we heard last night that a certain French man of these parts is planning a Ski & Ceroc event in Scotland early next year. I expect the details will be on this web site soon.

Gojive
23rd-November-2005, 11:51 PM
I did the Ceroc Barcelona holiday in August 2004 (where I met my current partner), and the Jive 'n' Cruise II in January 2004.

In both cases I'd say there was a fair mix of singles and couples, with the average age seemingly slightly higher on the cruise than Barcelona (at about 40....but that is just a guess from memory).

Both had their merits, but the cruise in particular was fabulous!. It sparked my dancing enthusiasm to a new level, and provided me with the most dreamy dance I've ever had - on the top (open) deck, cruising the Caribbean, at 1am. Absolute heaven! :waycool:

TiggsTours
24th-November-2005, 10:26 AM
thanks!

Caro
I don't know about Ceroc holidays, but Buenos Aires is a stunning city, and any opportunity you get to go there, you should grab with both hands, and hold on for dear life! In fact, the whole of Argentina is stunning!

TT

stewart38
24th-November-2005, 10:46 AM
Some people think the holidays are quite expensive for what they are, but at the moment the foreign dance holiday market is fairly limited. I have enjoyed the holidays and will probably go again. If you're into Lindy Hop and sports, I'd highly recommend Rena Swanepoel's La Santa Swing.

R-K

Loss me on that one :sick:

I could list you 200 dance holidays next year from one source from Belly dancing to Tango to almost anything anywhere

Rhythm King
24th-November-2005, 11:40 AM
Loss me on that one :sick:

I could list you 200 dance holidays next year from one source from Belly dancing to Tango to almost anything anywhere

Exactly my point - that's one source. There are not hundreds of different companies competing for our custom, which would make the pricing more competitive. It seems to be happening in the weekender market now.

stewart38
24th-November-2005, 11:51 AM
Exactly my point - that's one source. There are not hundreds of different companies competing for our custom, which would make the pricing more competitive. It seems to be happening in the weekender market now.

Type in 'dance holiday' in google and you will find 25 different companies

There are hundreds believe me

just one from HF holidays. Jive/le roc didnt invent the weekender market depends what you mean again by dance in that context
--------------------------------------------------

Dancing
We offer a unique blend of holiday relaxation, dancing tuition and a chance to enjoy the company of other dancers. We offer a wide range of dancing styles from the ever-popular Belly Dancing to the sultry Salsa or the cult partner dance Le Roc! Formal dances - Ballroom, Circle and Line to name a few - are not forgotten with plenty of choice for starters and experienced alike. Just look at our complete range.

It's not all dancing; we normally include plenty of free time for you to discover the local area - generally in the afternoons. A typical day would include three hours of tuition in the morning. Relaxing in the afternoon before meeting again for late afternoon sessions. In the evenings we will enjoy social dance practice. Some evenings we will join other guests in the hotel for a Ceilidh.

If you join our holidays alone - many do - we will endeavor to organise pairs where needed
----------------------------------------------

senorita
24th-November-2005, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=stewart38] If a miserable old sh** like me can you will .

no way jose!! thats just the exterior....big smiley softly at heart ;-)

stewart38
24th-November-2005, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=stewart38] If a miserable old sh** like me can you will .

no way jose!! thats just the exterior....big smiley softly at heart ;-)

We have another dance and ill teach you how to quote :wink:

senorita
24th-November-2005, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=stewart38

We have another dance and ill teach you how to quote :wink:[/QUOTE]

okdokay miserable S+++ :rofl:

Lynn
24th-November-2005, 01:36 PM
Exactly my point - that's one source. There are not hundreds of different companies competing for our custom, which would make the pricing more competitive. It seems to be happening in the weekender market now.I think its starting to happen, I went on a Jive Addiction holiday this year, a key reason being that it was competitively priced compared to some other holidays and this made it more accessible to my tight budget. I had various options for holidays last year and cost was a big deciding factor (that and the fact that I knew it would be up to the usual Jive Addiction high standard!)