PDA

View Full Version : Lists of Moves

Dreadful Scathe
20th-January-2002, 11:34 PM
Does anyone actually have lists of Ceroc / Jive moves - i can never remember them all :(

If not - we could make some - whos up for it ?

Franck
20th-January-2002, 11:43 PM
Hi Scathe,

Welcome to the board. Pretty scary name / avatar!

To answer your question, someone posted a web address on the previous board (available from the news page of the Ceroc Scotland website).

There is also a list of all the routines / moves taught at your regular venue. You can ask the venue manager for a look at any time (if the teacher does not have it).

Cheers,

Franck.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-January-2002, 12:01 AM
thanks Franck

I changed the avatar - a bit too scary - i prefer this one :)

Franck
22nd-January-2002, 01:58 AM
Excellent avatar, I especially like the winking eye ;)

I'll see if I can find more cartoon characters to add to the list.

Franck.

Johnny_boy
29th-January-2002, 01:19 AM
I used to put moves into my Psion Organiser from the night before on the way into work (passed the time) so here's a list of moves from about 4 years ago. I struggle to remember what some of them are! I'll need to start coming to classes again rather than just party nights!

accordion
accordion crab walk
almost lady's spin
almost pretzel
American spin
armjive
armjive lady's nelson
armjive pushspin
armjive round the world
armjive teapot
backhander
basket
basket spin-out
butterfly bounce
catapult
catapult and back
catapult bounce
catapult behind theback
catapult drop (Lindy kick)
catapult walk
comb
Cynthia's pretzel
double basket
double pretzel
duck comb
elbow walk
figure of eight
first move barrier twist
first move seducer
First-move
First-move basic
First-move wrapper
First-move jump
five beat First-move
half windmill
half-nelson
hallelujah
hatchback
hatchback catch behind back
hatchflick
hip-hop
lady's butterfly
lady's comb
lady's nelson
lady's spin
lasso sway
lean
left handed catapult
left-handed archiespin
Lindy jump
man's spin
man's tunnel
neck break
octopull
octopus
octospin
one handed accordion
open
open catapult
open neck break
open pretzel
open pretzel sway
pretzel
pretzel plus
push-spin
right handed bounce
right-handed archie-spin
short backhander
short comb
shoulder drop
shoulder drop variations
side to side across
side to side behind
side to side sway
slow comb
slow comb spin-out
slow hallelujah
slow man's spin
slow step across
Spanish walkround
step across
sway
sway flip flop
teapot
teapot
through the legs
train
travelling yo-yo
travelling armjive
tunnel
twidly twidly (double return)
two handed sway
two-handed archiespin
variation on Cynthia's pretzel
walkround
windmill
wurlitzer
wurlitzer walk
wurlitzer catch behind back

Dreadful Scathe
1st-February-2002, 12:56 PM
thanks johnny

but the names arent very helpful without descriptions - i probably know loads of them but not the names :)

i was just at the tavistock square venue in london this week though and they were selling a book of moves at the door for 11 pound - i thought that sounded a bit steep - having moves on a list isnt going to stop you going to ceroc is it ?

Franck : do you have this book ?

jiveoholic
1st-February-2002, 01:59 PM
Try the site at www.jiveoholic.org.uk I hope it helps.

Richard

Franck
1st-February-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
thanks johnny

but the names arent very helpful without descriptions - i probably know loads of them but not the names :)

i was just at the tavistock square venue in london this week though and they were selling a book of moves at the door for 11 pound - i thought that sounded a bit steep - having moves on a list isnt going to stop you going to ceroc is it ?

Franck : do you have this book ?

Hi,

I do have an old set that we used as demo at venues. Assuming that you mean the Stepcheck set of cards. They are 12 / 16 cards describing the main beginners moves with pictures. They are quite useful for anyone unable to make the classes regularly.

I agree that names alone are not very useful, in fact, even a full description is not much use unless you know the move already (chicken and egg). All Ceroc teachers have full teaching notes for the 500+ moves and sometimes find it hard to work out what the move is, especially without a partner... That's why I think it really important that all Ceroc teachers attend one of the advanced training courses (as revision) once a year, to be reminded of moves we would otherwise forget.
There is no substitute for dancing. Reading about it, might be interesting, but will not help you become a better dancer unless you get out there on the dance floor as often as possible :)

jiveoholic
1st-February-2002, 06:35 PM
I bought a set too the day following my very first evening dancing with Ceroc (4-5 years ago). They were a life-saver, although I only used them for a few weeks. I just wanted to climb up the learning curve so I could do a few moves confidently with a lady and not "waste her time"! I used to practice getting the tension and compression right by holding a piece of string connected to a door knob! The only trouble was I could not change places with the door for the man-spin!

I also agree that the only way to learn is to go and dance. Being taught at a venue is both fun and the fastest way to get the information into my head. However, what I do use notes etc for is to remind myself of moves I would otherwise have forgotten when I feel that my reptoir is boring even me!

Richard

Tiggerbabe
2nd-February-2002, 07:16 PM
I would agree with scathe that a list of moves on their own is of little use to anyone. I can do loads of moves if led into them but I can never remember what their proper title is.

I think most people do write things down, to help, when they first start to do ceroc. The problem with being a lady, however, is that you can remember nearly every move you have ever done but if the guy you are dancing with doesn't know them - you won't be dancing them either. SO I gave up with the written exercise and now just practice on the dance floor. Much more fun anyway:D

Franck
5th-February-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by crjohnson
However, what I do use notes etc for is to remind myself of moves I would otherwise have forgotten when I feel that my reptoir is boring even me! This is a common problem for men, we only dance the moves we either:
know (only been to a few classes - so know 4 / 12 moves only)
Remember (we have learnt lots of moves, but currently only remember 3 :( )

However, we tend to be the only ones who actually get bored by any of this! On a typical night, you will probably dance no more than a couple records with any partner, and each will be impressed at your choice of moves / style / personality / rhythm / all of the above ;) and then move on to another guy doing different moves, etc...
As a guy, unfortunately, you only get to do your own moves ! :rolleyes:
The trick is probably to focus less on the moves you are doing, and more on who you are dancing with (and the music of course), with the given that they will definitely not be bored by your moves, try to make it even more exciting for them (and therefore for you) :)

Franck.

Heather
10th-February-2002, 06:39 PM
Well Johnny Boy, that's some impressive list of moves you've got there!!! Let's hope and pray that you don't try to do them all in the same record/dance!!!!Out of curiosity, how many of them do you ACTUALLY remember ? How many of them do you USE, even?
Personally, I think a lot of the fancy moves only look good if they are done by someone with a good sense of rhythm and feel for the music.(And who gives a good lead).Unfortunately, I sometimes feel like Ollie the octopus when some blokes try out complicated moves and they have none of the aforementioned qualities!!!! The simpler the better I say!! It's much more stylish to do a few simple moves well than to tie your poor partner in knots ( and then give HER filthy looks because the male - who is supposed to be leading-Can't)
Sorry if this sounds like I'm getting at you Johnny Boy- I'm not- I don't even know who you are although I must admit I have been scouring Marco's recently for anyone who resembles your picture.
Either it's not a clear enough image or you are AWOL or in disguise!

Johnny_boy
10th-February-2002, 08:22 PM
I'm afraid I've been AWOL for a while and can't remember what half the moves are! I'll maybe make it along sometime this week or next week - probably a Thursday. If you look at my Yahoo profile http://profiles.yahoo.com/johnmichaelhunt - this is the full picture I had to edit in order to get it onto the forum.

I used to be a taxi dancer in the past and came along 3 of 4 times a week until I started working in Glasgow for a couple of years. Since then my attendance has dropped due to Scotrail not getting me back in time and with it my memory of moves!

This can cause some funny situations like a few months ago. During the class (first in about a year) one of my partners was stuggling with the move. It was one I knew well so I stopped her and walked her through it, showing her where she had gone wrong (she'd turned the wrong way) - not realising Scott had started rotating the class. The woman behind looked at me and said "wow, first class and you think you're a taxi-dancer", I replied "Well I used to be a taxi dancer and I've also danced quite a lot as a woman, including dressing up as woman twice at LeRoc including wearing make-up", the look on her face was priceless! It can pay to make stealth visits!

A problem is that a lot of women don't know some of the moves I try as they haven't been taught for years, I really need to do some more classes! It's not the lead, just they don't expect you to turn them a particular way and I end up in the old arm-wrestling competitions!

I normally need a few dances to warm-up then I can throw in 40+ moves, with my partner Clare, a lot more as she's quite used to dancing with me and will even suggest a few moves if my memory seems to be failing.

I'm interested in your comments about the fancy moves and the good lead. I've danced with too many women who just won't let the man lead. I have a simple solution to that one - a double first-move wrapper with a full windmill either side, it normally makes the woman too dizzy to fight back!

Cheers

Stuart M
11th-February-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Heather
Unfortunately, I sometimes feel like Ollie the octopus when some blokes try out complicated moves and they have none of the aforementioned qualities!!!! The simpler the better I say!! It's much more stylish to do a few simple moves well than to tie your poor partner in knots ( and then give HER filthy looks because the male - who is supposed to be leading-Can't)

I had a new problem on Saturday night: when trying to do simple moves stylishly I ended up confusing some novice partners. :sorry

For instance, arm-jives: boring if you do them the basic way, but good if your partner needs a break. However, as soon as I tried cross-stepping to liven it up for myself, some of the gals tried to copy me because they thought they had to, and ended up in knots.

But then, is an arm-jive with cross-stepping a different move altogether, or is it just a style point?

SWM (What happened to all the pink shirts on Saturday then? I stuck out like a sore thumb - probably looked like one as well, mind you...)

Jayne
11th-February-2002, 04:22 PM
I've danced with too many women who just won't let the man lead. I have a simple solution to that one - a double first-move wrapper with a full windmill either side, it normally makes the woman too dizzy to fight back!

:grin: This made me laugh. I know a few men who do that move just for the sake of it. :wink: I try my best to follow!

I agree with what other people have said about rhythm and lead being important in a dance and that a dance with just the basics can be really good. However, I'd soon get bored if I did basics all night and I enjoy a "challenging" dance. By challenging I don't mean one that's impossible to follow but one that throws in well lead moves that don't break a limb but are something different. Good example - I did a rumba on saturday night. I know it's not ceroc but it's something I did a few years ago and it was challenging and good fun trying to bring it back again.

Jayne

PS favourite track (I know it's another thread but...) "let there be love". :)

Franck
11th-February-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Johnny_boy
It can pay to make stealth visits!
Well, I have had a few of these myself, it is always fun to be corrected / told you are doing a beginners' move wrong during the class, I tend to not tell them I am a teacher to save them (and possibly me as well) the embarrassment :D

A problem is that a lot of women don't know some of the moves I try as they haven't been taught for years, I really need to do some more classes! It's not the lead, just they don't expect you to turn them a particular way and I end up in the old arm-wrestling competitions!
Now, Johnny_boy, you should know better than that! it is ALWAYS the man's fault...:grin:
Second rule of Ceroc, it is always the lead...

Franck.

Jayne
11th-February-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Franck
it is ALWAYS the man's fault...

Never was there a truer word said.

Jayne

Franck
11th-February-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Franck
it is ALWAYS the man's fault...
Second rule of Ceroc, it is always the lead...

Originally posted by Jayne
Never was there a truer word said.

Jayne
Of course, I forgot to mention the FIRST rule of Ceroc:
"The man is always right" :wink:

Franck.

Jayne
11th-February-2002, 05:46 PM
Franck,

I think that the ladies out there will all agree that the full saying is..

"Whan he's in his own world, the man is always right".

When it comes to ceroc, a girl's elbows can only bend in a limited number of directions....:wink:

Jayne

filthycute
11th-February-2002, 07:08 PM
I ashamedly have to admit i am one of those "wimmen" who get carried away and try to lead :sorry
I did line dancing for 5 years, and dancing alone you can basically do what you like when you like. I think i do it more when the guy isn't a very strong lead or if i'm dancing to a great track that you can add lots of "extras" , get into the musical interpretation. There's nothing nicer than seeing dancers hit a beat with a cool move that fits perfect.:D
Actually one guy threatened to slap me at Edinburgh if i didn't let him lead!...jokely of course....I HOPE!!:really:

So appologies to any of the guys out there who have unfortunately experienced my "lead" first hand :sorry

Although it does have some advantages.........
I think i'm not too bad at keeping guys in the correct rhythmn. Beginners, or maybe if they're not sure of the track ..(too fast/slow)
now i'm wondering if i should have snaffled the little miss bossy before Heather did :yum: :p

filthycute x x