PDA

View Full Version : Foxtrot

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
18th-November-2005, 11:31 AM
Ok, I have a couple of friends who used to dance the Foxtrot, but the two of them don't seem to want to tell me much about it, maybe it's cause they're guys, don't know, but i'd really need to drag a description out of them; so to speak. However, could someone explain please, in laymans terms. All I know is that it's slotted. And if you know how to dance the Foxtrot, is it fun? :D

Thanks,
Ash x

philsmove
18th-November-2005, 11:35 AM
try here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlycomedancing/learning/foxtrot.shtml

Tessalicious
18th-November-2005, 11:48 AM
Ok, I have a couple of friends who used to dance the Foxtrot, but the two of them don't seem to want to tell me much about it, maybe it's cause they're guys, don't know, but i'd really need to drag a description out of them; so to speak. However, could someone explain please, in laymans terms. All I know is that it's slotted. And if you know how to dance the Foxtrot, is it fun? :D

Thanks,
Ash xHey people, you've got to stop distracting me from my work by talking about ballroom dances!

The foxtrot is a gorgeous dance to dance, if the man knows what he's doing and the girl has good basic frame and allows herself to be lead. If not, or just to watch, it's nothing special. I've only ever had two lessons in true foxtrot (as opposed to slow rhythm quickstep) in my life, but knowing frame and the basic principles has meant that when I have danced it with some fabulous leads its has felt really easy, and like floating across the floor. If your male friends are any good at it, you could get them to 'explain' the dance most easily just by dancing it with you.

Good things to try to do so that your foxtrot works are: keep the solid ballroom frame and contact; heel leads when you step forward; take nice big steps back; and only move when the guy moves you (otherwise just bring your feet together and be ready to step off on the next beat). If you keep all those in mind you should be able to get enough of an idea of what a good foxtrot feels like to decide whether you want to have lessons.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :hug:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
18th-November-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It looks good, but I kinda see what you mean about it being "nothing special" to watch Tess, it looks like it would get boring after a while. And wouldn't you get sore shoulders and arms dancing like that? It also looks really difficult, I don't think i'm quite graceful enough for that :rofl: But we'll see, if I can find a class in Glasgow, I may give it a go, maybe I can twist my friends arms to show me how to dance it, but they're a bit rusty so hmmm don't know if they will :sad:

DavidY
18th-November-2005, 02:12 PM
Ok, I have a couple of friends who used to dance the Foxtrot~SNIP~All I know is that it's slotted. Don't think I'd agree that it's slotted. My understanding of a "slotted" dance is one where you're more-or-less staying in the same general area on the floor, moving up and down a "slot" that may change or rotate but generally doesn't move much.

Foxtrot is progressive - you move all the way round the dance floor.

Evgeni
18th-November-2005, 02:42 PM
Don't think I'd agree that it's slotted. My understanding of a "slotted" dance is one where you're more-or-less staying in the same general area on the floor, moving up and down a "slot" that may change or rotate but generally doesn't move much.

Yep! All standard dances, samba and paso travel around the floor in an anti clockwise direction and also utlise the diagonals.

Lory
18th-November-2005, 02:55 PM
I haven't had a formal lesson in Foxtrot but I've kind of just learnt it 'on the wing,' (actually, the first time I had a go, was in the middle on the Albert Hall:what: :blush: ) but as Tessalisious said, if you've got a good frame :innocent: and a good lead :worthy: you can't go wrong really, as the basic dance is pretty simple. ;)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
18th-November-2005, 06:55 PM
Don't think I'd agree that it's slotted. My understanding of a "slotted" dance is one where you're more-or-less staying in the same general area on the floor, moving up and down a "slot" that may change or rotate but generally doesn't move much.

Thanks David, that makes more sense now :innocent: