PDA

View Full Version : Men dancing in vests - Yes or No or Sometimes ?

johnthehappyguy
17th-November-2005, 06:26 PM
I have just bought a vest, which I think looks great, and am considering wearing it as outerwear when dancing.

Following the recent contoversy surrounding Ducasi's T-Shirt I chose to seek others' views :-

So here is a poll. What is your opinion on vests for men, and why ?

johnthehappyguy:nice:

TiggsTours
17th-November-2005, 06:35 PM
I couldn't answer your poll, as a very miniscule number of guys look great in vests, if they have the right physique (even some with the right physique still don't look good), but the answer is, they should never dance in them! No matter how sexy the guy is, I don't enjoy grabbing sweaty biceps! (not when I'm dancing, at least):wink:

doc martin
17th-November-2005, 06:39 PM
You need a couple more options John

I think that men with hairy backs should never wear a vest
I am Rab C Nesbitt

What does wearing a vest achieve? It may keep you cooler, but there are more sweaty bits exposed. So not only will women be trying to avoid combs when the going gets hot, they won't even want to put their hand on your shoulder for a first move.

OOps, just noticed TT saying the same thing. She can obviously type quicker than me.

Msfab
17th-November-2005, 06:40 PM
I have just bought a vest, which I think looks great, and am considering wearing it as outerwear when dancing.

Following the recent contoversy surrounding Ducasi's T-Shirt I chose to seek others' views :-

johnthehappyguy:nice:

I'm not overly keen on the Vest top when dancing, especially when the man is prone to generating excessive sweat.

I was practicing being a lead a few weeks ago, it was still cold so I still had a cardigan on. When I looked down onto one of my selves there was a load of powder (deodorant I assumed). Id hate to think what was Id take away from a dancer :eek: Mmmm.. in general not good!

Trousers
17th-November-2005, 08:54 PM
NO
Never
Never ever ever wear a vest

I have yet to find a woman who really enjoys dancing with a guy in a vest - oh he may be the best dancer in the room but ask 'was he sweaty?' and the reply is always a frown and 'yes'. But a good dance is the whole experience in my book.
There is definitely a line to be drawn in the sand where the yes I have muscles and Yes I look good in a vest brigade have to stop and think; is it more pleasant for me to wear a vest and drip all over these women that condone to dance with me or to wear a Tshirt or shirt which will stem the sweaty flow so the lady can enjoy a dry dance?
And anyway if you have an abundance of muscles the girls will see then even in a Tshirt. (Vain is ok - but vain and sweaty don't really work together)

Yeeuuurrgggghhhhhhhhh
Really hairy sweaty guys - delightful!
Makes me cringe and I don't have to dance with them.

It's a bit like dancing in shorts - British guys just don't look good in shorts - I know I am one remember. And I once danced in shorts and my then girlfriend just looked at me and said 'Shorts?'
'Yes' I said,
'No' she said
and up to today i still never wear shorts dancing.But I do see guys in shorts - wearing dress dance shoes even (as opposed to trainers whats that all about???)
It just does not look good!

I've yet to find anyone in shorts and a vest I may have difficulty restraining my laughter when I do meet that unfortunate guy!

David Bailey
17th-November-2005, 09:28 PM
{ anti-vest rant }

:worthy: - that's what I call a real rant.

The only caveat I'd add is that apparently now some shops (e.g. M&S) have T-shirt-y things which they call vests. But, I hasten to add, they have sleeves and everything. They're just called vests. Don't ask me why. But they're nice. OK, I'll shut up now.

MartinHarper
17th-November-2005, 09:28 PM
British guys just don't look good in shorts.

White men don't look good dancing?
As true.
As relevant.

ChrisA
17th-November-2005, 11:29 PM
As true.
As relevant.
Nope.

Far more white men look good dancing than look good in shorts on the dancefloor.

And what is this about vests??????

They're sleeveless tops, for heavens sake, preferably with Lycra :innocent:

Haven't we been round this loop before, though? Ah, fond memories... :devil:

Whitebeard
17th-November-2005, 11:54 PM
It's a bit like dancing in shorts - British guys just don't look good in shorts - I know I am one remember.
In my cycling days I used to feel I looked my best in (short) shorts. The quads were quite impressive and the calves came with the genes. And they were nicely brown all year round. Used to feel a bit embarrasssed in those tight lycra racing shorts though.

Anyway, "Trousers", I've just got some new dancing ones which are so light, so cool, that I have to keep looking down, and feeling the fly, to convince myself something is covering my modesty.

jivecat
17th-November-2005, 11:58 PM
Anyway, "Trousers", I've just got some new dancing ones which are so light, so cool, that I have to keep looking down, and feeling the fly, to convince myself something is covering my modesty.

You'll be named and shamed on this very forum if you're not careful!

under par
18th-November-2005, 01:12 AM
a big definite NO from me to vests.

Unless a female is wearing the string version.:whistle:

frodo
18th-November-2005, 01:22 AM

It seems to me that sleeveless vests for men seem rather more common in modern jive than other dance styles.

I think small numbers of men in sleeveless vests can have a disproportionate effect on the look of a venue, and can easily offset lots of attractive well dressed ladies.

Clive Long
18th-November-2005, 09:35 AM
British guys just don't look good in shorts.

As true.
As relevant.
There are non-white British people - or did I mis-read the post?

I have worn vests at Camber - but only since I have lost weight. Gets one noticed - which maybe good or bad.

Clive

Lynn
18th-November-2005, 01:13 PM
As a female 'vest wearer' (or some sort of sleeveless, strappy thing) I can understand the comfort value of wearing vests and see why it appeals to guys. And a guy can be just as horribly sweaty in a soggy top as in vest, no problems with it that way. But my answer would be 'sometimes' and sorry guys, but it does depend at least to some extent on how good you look in a vest. :blush: (And what sort of a vest it is, no-one suits those horrible baggy ones with the low sides, yeuch!)

wicked blue
18th-November-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm not overly keen on the Vest top when dancing, especially when the man is prone to generating excessive sweat.

:yeah: Vest tops, no, no, no and no!!! I think that perhaps some men can get away with it if they have the physique, but i don't really think its the kinda thing that men should be wearing on the dance floor, nice physique or not. There is nothing nice about dancing with a guy who is covered in sweat, there is nothing worse than that sweaty guy doing moves which means that your arm or hand is being covered in his sweat! I have danced with guys who are dripping with sweat, and its not pleasant! One guy in particular always does moves which result in me walking away with my arm, or hand dripping :tears: He wears t-shirts, it would be sooo much worse if he wore a vest top! A vest top just means that there is more area of sweaty skin showing and more chance of that sweat being smeared all over me - and thats disgusting! :eek:

So a big fat NO from me!!

ducasi
18th-November-2005, 01:44 PM
Vests on guys? Please don't. Even if they look good in them, it only makes me jealous.

Vests on girls? Not really keen on that either. Not figured out why though...

Piglet
18th-November-2005, 06:48 PM
As a female 'vest wearer' (or some sort of sleeveless, strappy thing) I can understand the comfort value of wearing vests and see why it appeals to guys. And a guy can be just as horribly sweaty in a soggy top as in vest, no problems with it that way. But my answer would be 'sometimes' and sorry guys, but it does depend at least to some extent on how good you look in a vest. :blush: (And what sort of a vest it is, no-one suits those horrible baggy ones with the low sides, yeuch!)
:yeah: I agree with Lynn (also that 'sometimes' comment could be thrown at the female species too!)

I think we need a Guys in Vest Night for me to make up my mind - I can't see how it would be a problem, but let me try them out and I'll let you know :wink:

Piglet
18th-November-2005, 06:50 PM
Just an afterthought...

Vests as outerwear :drool:

Vests as underwear - total no-no - sorry, but makes me think "Grandad" for some reason.

Msfab
18th-November-2005, 06:56 PM
Vests as underwear - total no-no - sorry, but makes me think "Grandad" for some reason.

But if it keeps them warm, why not?

Whitebeard
18th-November-2005, 07:13 PM
Would you like me to tell you what underwear you should don or undon?

Thanks for thinking of me, Grandad.

MartinHarper
18th-November-2005, 07:48 PM

If you can tell what underwear I'm wearing, you're probably dancing too close.

Lynn
18th-November-2005, 11:31 PM
Vests on girls? Not really keen on that either. Not figured out why though... I didn't realise that some men had problems with vest on girls.:tears: I have about 5 identical black ones (Primark of course, £2 each!) and I think almost every dancing top I have is either sleeveless or strappy. I also often wear white ones with jeans and boots as casual wear as well. I do sometimes wear a shrug* over a top, but tend to take it off after a while. So what is the problem with women wearing vest tops?

*For the men, 'shrugs' are those tops that have short or long sleeves, are cropped and women wear over a top** and tie at the front.

**Optional, I've found they can also look interesting without the top, but wouldn't have the nerve to wear one like that dancing!

ducasi
19th-November-2005, 01:39 AM
I didn't realise that some men had problems with vest on girls. [...] So what is the problem with women wearing vest tops? Like I said, I haven't figured it out yet... Maybe cause they just look like you're a bit under-dressed. Don't know. :confused:

For the men, 'shrugs' are those tops that have short or long sleeves, are cropped and women wear over a top** and tie at the front. If they're the things I'm thinking of, I don't much like them either. It's like you dress up with a nice top, then cover it all up with something really ugly. But maybe that's just me...

Whitebeard
19th-November-2005, 09:38 AM
If they're the things I'm thinking of, I don't much like them either. It's like you dress up with a nice top, then cover it all up with something really ugly. But maybe that's just me...

And those really ugly cardy things with an exagerated crossover at the front and a button/fastening up near the shoulder seem to be back "in fashion".

Lynn
19th-November-2005, 02:58 PM
Like I said, I haven't figured it out yet... Maybe cause they just look like you're a bit under-dressed. Don't know. :confused: :really: :blush: :innocent:

If they're the things I'm thinking of, I don't much like them either. It's like you dress up with a nice top, then cover it all up with something really ugly. But maybe that's just me...Ugly? I think they are pretty, I have a lovely little black lace one.

Well, I'm going to keep on wearing vests, skimpy tops and lace shrugs regardless of what you guys think. I dress for myself, not men, anyway!

CeeCee
20th-November-2005, 11:02 AM
Okay Guys I’m going to need some help here.

I know that I’m new to the Forum and many things are said and implied by the multitude of characters who post but this one is confusing me.

What does this actually mean:-

Originally posted by Martin Harper
As true.
As relevant.

I read it and took it to mean what it says.

If that is so, surely it’s rubbish.
Failing that, then I’m assuming it must be code for something.

I’m waiting to be enlightened.

MartinHarper
20th-November-2005, 11:12 AM
I read it and took it to mean what it says.
If that is so, surely it’s rubbish.

That's normally a good indication that you've correctly understood one of my posts.

ChrisA
20th-November-2005, 01:37 PM
As true.
As relevant.

What does this actually mean:-
..snip...I’m waiting to be enlightened.
Well, I took it to mean that MartinH was a bit unimpressed with the rather broad generalisation that:

British guys just don't look good in shorts

To illustrate this, he made another broad generalisation (but note his "?"), namely that:

... and went on to suggest that it was both

As true.and

As relevant.as the original one (ie, not very true or relevant).

I think you just need to get used to his slightly, er, concise, way of expressing things sometimes :flower:

That said, I've only ever seen one guy, of any colour, that looked even ok dancing in shorts....:eek:

Whitebeard
20th-November-2005, 02:53 PM
That said, I've only ever seen one guy, of any colour, that looked even ok dancing in shorts....

Was he Austrian ?

Trousers
21st-November-2005, 01:13 PM
Was he Austrian ?
Ah Austrians and shorts - There's a whole new fetish to investigate there

I feel a Homer moment coming on MMMmmmmm Leather shorts, D'oh this is men right?

Lets diversify into girls in shorts, leather or otherwise (ok I'm easy it's true !).

There must be some girls in here that will admit to looking good in shorts
We will just need your normal dance venues and opening times please girls to corroborate the claims.

We could have a survey and do some statistics to keep the numerically inclined of us interested too!

Hey and there was no rant in in there ( I must be ill )

Piglet
21st-November-2005, 02:11 PM
I have now danced with one man wearing a vest (him not me!) and can say I'm all in favour of it! Also danced with one man last night in a sleeveless t-shirt! Again - I liked that too! So I would change my vote to say it's cool by me at this date and time.

(However, like most women, I withold my right to change my mind whenever I like :D ) Besides, its the dancer I'm dancing with and not his/her clothes!

philsmove
21st-November-2005, 07:27 PM
Gym user upset at cover-up call
A sports enthusiast was told not to wear vests at a council gym because the sight of "big hairy armpits" would upset other users. Anthony Ward, 41, said he was told by an instructor to wear T-shirts instead of a vest while using gym equipment at Horfield Leisure Centre, Bristol. Mr Ward, a gym member for two years, vowed to continue wearing vests. A Bristol City Council spokeswoman said vests were not banned but gym users are being advised not to wear them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4457828.stm

Lou
21st-November-2005, 08:26 PM
MMMmmmmm Leather shorts,

:whistle:

ChrisA
21st-November-2005, 08:30 PM
because the sight of "big hairy armpits" would upset other users.
Quite right too...

Not sure how most blokes would react if the ladies wore sleeveless tops as well as being "au naturel" (to coin a phrase that's been used in another context)

:really: :what: :sick: .

Do we have the right to impose the same on the girls?

Zebra Woman
21st-November-2005, 10:26 PM
Nope.

Far more white men look good dancing than look good in shorts on the dancefloor.

And what is this about vests??????

They're sleeveless tops, for heavens sake, preferably with Lycra :innocent:

Haven't we been round this loop before, though? Ah, fond memories... :devil:

Yeah I remember it well. My first ever post on this Forum was saying how I hated men in vests. After some discussion and real-life experimentation - I amended my view to vests are OK (perhaps even :drool: ) on a very small number of people IMO.

I have a list.

18 months later the list is as short as ever:

1. Viktor
2. ChrisA
3. Simon Bowker

and er... that's it.

There may have been a couple of others but I have forgotten who they are. PM me if you think it's you.

ZW:devil:

Gojive
21st-November-2005, 10:40 PM
Ah Austrians and shorts - There's a whole new fetish to investigate there

I feel a Homer moment coming on MMMmmmmm Leather shorts, D'oh this is men right?

Lets diversify into girls in shorts, leather or otherwise (ok I'm easy it's true !).

There must be some girls in here that will admit to looking good in shorts
We will just need your normal dance venues and opening times please girls to corroborate the claims.

We could have a survey and do some statistics to keep the numerically inclined of us interested too!

Hey and there was no rant in in there ( I must be ill )

Does anyone else think that was a pants post by trousers about shorts? :D

jockey
22nd-November-2005, 12:41 AM
:worthy: - that's what I call a real rant.

The only caveat I'd add is that apparently now some shops (e.g. M&S) have T-shirt-y things which they call vests. But, I hasten to add, they have sleeves and everything. They're just called vests. Don't ask me why. But they're nice. OK, I'll shut up now.
Its U.S. terminology - I wear something for dancing (lycra) which is called a vest there but would prettywell be a T shirt here. My sister who lives in San Francisco sent it to me.By the way I sweat less in it and I look good in it (so I am told) so all this stuff about sweaty men in vests is contradictory.
Having said that I was talking to a fellow female dancer at thr recent Greenwich party and we discussed a fine looking chap in a white vest (no less) and she said it didnt look good and would feel worse (cos you have to touchthe bare shoulders which would be..well, wet). So, the nays have it.

Whitebeard
22nd-November-2005, 01:02 AM
...... she said it didnt look good and would feel worse (cos you have to touchthe bare shoulders which would be..well, wet). .....
But we men frequently have to touch bare shoulders; and we love it, don't we ? ;-)

Cruella
22nd-November-2005, 09:23 AM
But we men frequently have to touch bare shoulders; and we love it, don't we ? ;-)
Yes but they're not usually covered in wet hair! Yeuck:sick:

David Bailey
22nd-November-2005, 09:39 AM
Nope.

Skin is very nice, don't get me wrong, I'm a big admirer of it, and there should be more of it :)

But for example, a girl can look gorgeous in a backless number, and one of my first thoughts when seeing that in a dance environment is "uh-oh, wet hand moment ahead"... :sad:

David Franklin
22nd-November-2005, 09:46 AM
I have now danced with one man wearing a vest (him not me!) and can say I'm all in favour of it! Also danced with one man last night in a sleeveless t-shirt! Again - I liked that too! So I would change my vote to say it's cool by me at this date and time.This date being the middle of a rather chilly November - I think your vote might change again come midsummer!

Piglet
22nd-November-2005, 01:53 PM
This date being the middle of a rather chilly November - I think your vote might change again come midsummer!

And I think it wont cos I'm never cold when I'm dancing and would prefer to dance with a guy in a vest rather than one in some sort of jumper - cos that happens up here with some guys in chilly Aberdeen even in the height of summer (yeah - like what summer do we ever see up here anyway - a couple of hours a year it feels like). I can tell you, you sure need a nosepeg sometimes for the heavily clad gents.

Besides the guy I was dancing with was a dream (as was my Sunday night dancer!) - and ZW I can't believe he wasn't on your list cos I'll bet you've danced with him too!

(I'm sure I said I dance with the dancer anyway and not his clothes! So guys wear what you like, but try to stay away from the thermal stuff which you really don't need unless you sit out lots and lots and lots!)

Caro
23rd-November-2005, 12:52 AM
I'd say NO to vest on guys, except if:
- the guy has really got the physique
- AND he doesn't sweat too much!!!
- AND he's shaved (well armpits, you know what I mean)!!!

Indeed as many girls said, it just leaves more sweaty skin exposed! I know it's kind of unfair since we do wear strappy tops etc, but hey we're girls and we're pretty so we can do whatever we feel like :whistle:
and in case you do decide to ignore all the messages above, and go for the vest:really: ; avoid going 'au naturel' as they said! beurk, disgusting!!!!!

azande
23rd-November-2005, 09:28 AM
- AND he's shaved (well armpits, you know what I mean)!!!
CJ, it looks like you can wear vests now!! :wink:

CeeCee
23rd-November-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Gojive
Does anyone else think that was a pants post by trousers about shorts?

Brilliant!

Posts like this remind me why I registered on the Forum, witty one liners, I love them. Thanks Gojive

jivecat
23rd-November-2005, 11:36 AM
Brilliant!

Posts like this remind me why I registered on the Forum, witty one liners, I love them. Thanks Gojive

:yeah:

Piglet
23rd-November-2005, 01:45 PM
avoid going 'au naturel' as they said! beurk, disgusting!!!!!

Send them on to me then Caro! I'll have them :D

(I'm assuming you're just having a go at hairy oxters... if they weren't deodorised then I'd run a mile too)

MartinHarper
24th-November-2005, 07:31 PM
What is your opinion on vests for men

They make Kev F look hawt (http://cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7004).