PDA

View Full Version : French Rock'n'roll

El Salsero Gringo
15th-November-2005, 11:18 AM
I went to a French Rock'n'Roll class at Waterloo last night. Very interesting dance, it seems to be identical to Modern Jive with six-count footwork (rock-step, step-pause-step, rock-step, step-pause-step) with a bit of the "get-down" style of Lindy.

Amongst other moves, in the class were a First Move Jump, Catapult (of sorts), Sway with variations, 'returns' and other recognisable stuff, albeit under different names.

The music was, obviously, nothing but Rock'n'Roll, so very fast.

Has anyone else tried this as a style?

tsh
15th-November-2005, 02:03 PM
Yes, I've been doing this for a few weeks, together with some acrobatics! It doesn't feel much like lindy to me, but that may be because the way we're being taught is more focused on choreographed routines than lead/follow. I find it much more tiring than lindy as well!

Not sure where I'm going with it though...

Sean

Caro
22nd-November-2005, 08:00 PM
I used to dance french rock'n'roll as you call it (we call it le rock) back in France. Did a few months of classes and enjoyed it a lot... until I came to Scotland and discovered Ceroc.
At first I wasn't too covinced about ceroc, couldn't get the beat properly since I was used to a much faster pace. I almost gave up after the 4th class actually... Then on the 5th class I had a couple of dances with some much better dancers than I was, who did some fancy moves and dips... that's when I started to like ceroc really. I have been dancing ceroc for about a year now and I enjoy it so much more than le rock. I think le rock goes too fast, I don't have the time (or the energy!) to express myself and 'feel' the music. Plus it is more difficult technically - well I think, with all the footwork and the speed etc. And it is so tiring!!!!
To be honest now when I come back to France, I even struggle to follow properly a 'rock'.
However I do enjoy watching really good dancers dancing 'le rock', probably more than ceroc dancers. I guess it's more impressive to watch...

Caro

Minnie M
22nd-November-2005, 08:14 PM
I will doing lots and lots of French Rock 'n' Roll this weekend at the Rhythm Riot. :clap: :clap: with lots of Frenchmen :drool: (hopefully :blush: )

I assume you went to Jean LeCerc's club "Paris Rock 'n' Roll Club" ?

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-November-2005, 08:23 PM
I did.

Minnie M
22nd-November-2005, 08:29 PM
It is very similar to our MJ - that's why the French like dancing with me, they get really excited when I follow their moves (yes it's the moves not me that excites them :rolleyes: ) strange though, as I find them easier to dance with then my Lindy friends

DangerousCurves
28th-November-2005, 10:24 PM
I will doing lots and lots of French Rock 'n' Roll this weekend at the Rhythm Riot. :clap: :clap: with lots of Frenchmen :drool:

I am pleased to confirm (though I'm sure no one could ever have doubted it!) that the lovely Minnie did indeed burn up the dance floor all weekend - to the obvious delight of various lovely Frenchmen, Norwegians and sundry other dancing dudes!

BIG thank you to Minnie for arranging the weekend for me...:hug: I stepped on a few toes and kicked a few shins - and had a wonderful time!