PDA

View Full Version : WHERE has my thread about Bachata gone?!

Anna
13th-November-2005, 06:49 AM
Well.. as my last thread about the wonderous Bachata has seemed to have disappeared, I will just have to start a new one.. :D

After doing some more Bachata a few weeks ago (2 dances in total) and watching the latest addition to NZ Professional grade Salsa (Giancarlo and Masha of Latinissimo Dance Company) dancing it... I have decided all over again that is really very very cool.

And seemingly easy as well. Although there's a little more skill to the hip kicky/lift thing than people think. - I was watching 2 of our Pro's (not Latinissimo, different) doing Bachata and on the basic step (which is from the man's point of view - side close side to the left and then a lift of the right hip on 4 - same timing as Salsa but much slower).. They actually bring the hip they're about to lift slightly back the opposite way on 3 before up on 4.

So if you're doing the first half of the man's basic it's actually - To the left - 1. side, 2. close, 3. side and hip to the left slightly, 4. hip lift to the right.

Or does everyone know that about Bachata and I only just noticed it? Or maybe it doesn't even exist and I'm imagining things? :confused:

ducasi
13th-November-2005, 08:36 AM
Well.. as my last thread about the wonderous Bachata has seemed to have disappeared, I will just have to start a new one.. :D Umm... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5850) :whistle:

(It's in the wrong forum currently, but perhaps a moderator can fix this...)

Anna
13th-November-2005, 08:42 AM
CURSES :mad:

JamesGeary
15th-November-2005, 02:43 PM
Or does everyone know that about Bachata and I only just noticed it? Or maybe it doesn't even exist and I'm imagining things? :confused:

Yes its very cool, I just learned about it recently. I have an instructional DVD too! The teachers were just so cool it was just OTT coolness!

Anna
16th-November-2005, 02:03 AM
FINALLY a post.. yep it is just the "coool :cool: "-est dance in the whole gosh darned universe.. kinda.. sorta.. after salsa :D

Lynn
16th-November-2005, 11:48 AM
The teacher taught this at salsa last night as he said several people had asked for it. He showed both the close hold and how to dance it with some distance (I only danced it really close with one guy, who is a good friend.) Not sure what I think... would need to give it some time and see it danced well...

JamesGeary
16th-November-2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.djtony.it/tour.htm

I have living in the UK. You can't choose between all the good things going on.

jivecat
17th-November-2005, 11:45 PM
Charismatic Dominicano, Wilson "Cheeky Monkey" Castro, teaches it on a Tuesday night in Leicester. Can't say it looks cool, exactly, as he teaches at breakneck speed and high decibels, but effective, nonetheless.

Where IS Anna's thread about bachata, anyway? I'd like to read it.

ducasi
18th-November-2005, 01:06 AM
Where IS Anna's thread about bachata, anyway? I'd like to read it. See post #2 – just up there ^^^^

Anna
29th-November-2005, 09:27 PM
Went to a very nice Bachata class last night. Learnt a little routine that encorporated pretty much every move you could want to do in Bachata.. twas nice.

And i got pulled out of the class and used as a demo to other people how it "should" look :eek: :grin: obviously all that practicing my "nice relaxed" hip action at home is paying off...:whistle:

jivecat
30th-November-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, bachata is growing on me. I tend to lose the hip action when I'm put into a turn, I have to desperately keep counting, hope this wears off soon.

Last night I had to do much of the class with someone whose shoulder joint creaked everytime I touched it which was somewhat unnerving. Or rather, his shoulder joint creaked every time he moved his arm, and my hand was resting on it much of the time, I hasten to add. (Me, yank? Perish the thought.)

Danielle
30th-November-2005, 12:02 PM
I got to dance Bachata last night with the most amazing dancer!! :clap: :clap:

Felt a bit silly as I've only done one class and that was ages ago, but loved every minute!!! such a fun dance and a great excuse to get nice and close on a cold winters night :innocent:

Just wish there was more bachata songs played in clubs!!

jivecat
30th-November-2005, 12:15 PM
a great excuse to get nice and close on a cold winters night :innocent:

Yeah, ahem, disconcertingly close! I thought I was beyond shame after various torrid experiences in blues rooms, but this is the worst. It helps to spare my blushes if my partner has an ample, HumptyDumptyesque physique!

Danielle
30th-November-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, ahem, disconcertingly close! I thought I was beyond shame after various torrid experiences in blues rooms, but this is the worst. It helps to spare my blushes if my partner has an ample, HumptyDumptyesque physique!

yeah i'm just a cuddley type of person!!! (BTW I did know the guy) but its so nice to have a chilled out dance cheek to cheek or nuzzled up to the guys neck especially when he wears yummy aftershave!!! :drool:

jivecat
30th-November-2005, 12:56 PM
yeah i'm just a cuddley type of person!!! (BTW I did know the guy) but its so nice to have a chilled out dance cheek to cheek or nuzzled up to the guys neck especially when he wears yummy aftershave!!! :drool:

It wasn't his cheek or his neck I was concerned about snuggling up to!:eek: :o

Danielle
30th-November-2005, 01:09 PM
It wasn't his cheek or his neck I was concerned about snuggling up to!:eek: :o

:what: :eek: :what: yeah, see your point, its dance you want to do with someone your quite comfortable with!!!

David Bailey
1st-December-2005, 09:38 AM
:what: :eek: :what: yeah, see your point,
I don't think Jivecat's point was the problem :whistle:

Anyway, as I've said before, i's a silly dance - to quote salsamafia.com (http://www.salsamafia.com/index.php?Load=Other_Bachata.html), "The Hiccup dance" - to quote a couple of juicy bits:

What I object to is the 'dance', if it can be dignified with that august term. This consists, if we are to believe the evidence of our eyes, of wriggling up close while in throws of a particularly nasty attack of hiccups

and:
this Slow-Salsa-esque shuffle usually becomes:

Guy: Rub-her-chest, Rub-her-chest, Rub-her-chest, Grab her butt.
Girl: Rub-his-bits, Rub-his-bits, Rub-his-bits, Rub-your-own.

I mean, surely we already have Merengue to satisfy the sleazebag contingent?

Anna
1st-December-2005, 10:10 AM
oh come on its not even that bad... really its not...

if people have issues with the proximity in which Bachata is danced, then only dance it with people you know or people you fancy. We do all have a choice you know, if you don't want to Bachata with someone then don't.
And your bachata teachers in the Uk must be terrible if you call it the hiccup dance :eek: because all the Bachata I have seen danced out here was beautiful and relaxed and smooth. Very very very nice.

The simplicity of it is what makes it special although it is undoubtedly a lot harder than Merengue - that is, if you are aiming to do it properly and make it look good rather than the halfpie attempt which ends up as the hiccup dance. :mad:

A lot of the moves are very graceful (show off the woman sooo well :drool: ) and what makes Bachata even more special is its lovely music..

David Bailey
1st-December-2005, 10:36 AM
oh come on its not even that bad... really its not...
Yes it is :na:

if people have issues with the proximity in which Bachata is danced, then only dance it with people you know or people you fancy. We do all have a choice you know, if you don't want to Bachata with someone then don't.
Well that's all well and good if you know that. But I would imagine anyone wishing to exploit the inexperience of someone who doesn't know that would have a field day with it and newbie dancers.

But that's OK, 'coz salsa doesn't have any sleazebags. Whew, lucky escape there.

The simplicity of it is what makes it special although it is undoubtedly a lot harder than Merengue
:rofl:
Even MJ is a lot harder to learn than merengue. In fact, I'm pushed off the top of my head to think of any partner dance that's not harder than merengue.

Danielle
1st-December-2005, 11:37 AM
Well as far as the sleazebags go, I don't think it matters how experienced or not you are at dancing, everyone knows when they feel uncomfortable with a situation, dancer or non dancer, and is quite capable of pulling away and leaving the dance!

But I have to agree with Anna, when its done well its a really fluid and sexy dance :drool: , the problem is not many people can dance it well :whistle: (thats where the hiccups come in:sick: ), especially salsa dancers as their normal body movement is so totally different to the smoothness of Bachata done well!!

jivecat
2nd-December-2005, 12:00 AM
:what: :eek: :what: yeah, see your point, its dance you want to do with someone your quite comfortable with!!!

Not really an option as I learn it in a class which rotates patners. It's either that or nothing, I can't just walk off, it'd look ridiculous! It's not that the guys intend to be sleazy, but the teacher keeps telling us to get closer. And I don't know any of these guys all that well, yet. I don't quite know why it's got a higher embarrassment factor than other groin-grinders like blues or merengue, but it does.

Andreas
2nd-December-2005, 12:03 AM
this Slow-Salsa-esque shuffle usually becomes:

Guy: Rub-her-chest, Rub-her-chest, Rub-her-chest, Grab her butt.
Girl: Rub-his-bits, Rub-his-bits, Rub-his-bits, Rub-your-own.

I so have to pay attention to this depth of detail next time I dance it. :drool:

I mean, surely we already have Merengue to satisfy the sleazebag contingent?
Bachata is the sophisticated version. :wink:

Andreas
2nd-December-2005, 12:05 AM
I don't quite know why it's got a higher embarrassment factor than other groin-grinders like blues or merengue, but it does.
Possibly because the hip motion on 4 and 8 sort of intensifies the body contact. :rofl:

Danielle
2nd-December-2005, 01:28 PM
Not really an option as I learn it in a class which rotates patners. It's either that or nothing, I can't just walk off, it'd look ridiculous! It's not that the guys intend to be sleazy, but the teacher keeps telling us to get closer. And I don't know any of these guys all that well, yet. I don't quite know why it's got a higher embarrassment factor than other groin-grinders like blues or merengue, but it does.

I guess as i dance a lot of lambada I'm quite used to the close contact so I don't really think about it all that much, and thankfully I'm yet to come across any sleazebags!! however if you feel uncomfy and if possible avoid dancing with a guy who's shorther than you (i'm only 5"3 so its quite easy for me), things don't grind quite so much when your dancing with a taller guy!! :blush: :wink: Having said that one of my favourite dancers is only my height!! I guess the closeness is just something you get used too!!

Lynn
2nd-December-2005, 01:38 PM
Not really an option as I learn it in a class which rotates patners. It's either that or nothing, I can't just walk off, it'd look ridiculous! It's not that the guys intend to be sleazy, but the teacher keeps telling us to get closer. And I don't know any of these guys all that well, yet. I don't quite know why it's got a higher embarrassment factor than other groin-grinders like blues or merengue, but it does.We were also rotating but the teacher showed how it could be danced at a distance, and kept telling the guys to respect the lady's space, don't go closer than she wants etc. Almost all the guys danced it quite far away (though it varied), I only danced it close with one guy (who I've known for years).

When dancing blues I sometimes get concerned at just how comfortable I can feel at times dancing close with someone I don't know :blush: - but, it seemed to me that there would be more potential to feel uncomfortable dancing bachata if the lead was determined to dance close. Maybe because the close hold is maintained thoughout the dance, or because I'm more used to blues and therefore more comfortable with it, not sure why.

jivecat
2nd-December-2005, 10:21 PM
I guess as i dance a lot of lambada I'm quite used to the close contact so I don't really think about it all that much, and thankfully I'm yet to come across any sleazebags!! however if you feel uncomfy and if possible avoid dancing with a guy who's shorther than you (i'm only 5"3 so its quite easy for me), things don't grind quite so much when your dancing with a taller guy!! :blush: :wink: Having said that one of my favourite dancers is only my height!! I guess the closeness is just something you get used too!!

I'm only 5'2" but I think there's quite a few titchy blokes around. I'll pay more attention to the height differential between the relevant parts next time! I think the thing about blues and merengue is that they are very, very close, (In fact, merengue seems to require that I spend the dance with my thighs clamped on to one of his leaving me in no doubt whatsoever of the exact degree of proximity of various sensitive areas) whereas bachata is slightly more, er, "Oh my God, is that what I think it is??" As it's a class I don't get any choice about who I dance close with either, and with blues I would.

When dancing blues I sometimes get concerned at just how comfortable I can feel at times dancing close with someone I don't know
Hmm, I know. Fun, isn't it.:wink:

David Bailey
3rd-December-2005, 09:53 AM
I guess as i dance a lot of lambada I'm quite used to the close contact so I don't really think about it all that much,
I've just started learning Argentinian Tango. I think I'm safe in saying that, for the close-embrace dance, it's about as close contact as it's possible to get with your clothes on. And I still think bachata is sleazebag-heaven.

(In fact, merengue seems to require that I spend the dance with my thighs clamped on to one of his leaving me in no doubt whatsoever of the exact degree of proximity of various sensitive areas) whereas bachata is slightly more, er, "Oh my God, is that what I think it is??"
:rofl: Hence the label: "Bachata - the dance for sophisticated sleazebags" :whistle:

Andreas
3rd-December-2005, 12:58 PM
I've just started learning Argentinian Tango. I think I'm safe in saying that, for the close-embrace dance, it's about as close contact as it's possible to get with your clothes on.

I think you need to distinguish here, really! Some people like close chest to chest contact, others prefer hip to hip :whistle: :rofl:

David Bailey
3rd-December-2005, 01:44 PM
I think you need to distinguish here, really! Some people like close chest to chest contact, others prefer hip to hip :whistle: :rofl:
And cheek-to-cheek? :innocent:

Andreas
3rd-December-2005, 01:59 PM
And cheek-to-cheek? :innocent:
That was Blues, wasn't it? :innocent:

Anna
23rd-January-2006, 10:09 AM
Update: Bachata really is one of the best latin dances, message me if you would like an extensive list of beautiful Bachata tracks as I now have many! :D