stewart38
10th-November-2005, 01:32 PM
Ill be at camber :sad:

If I wasnt id be here I think but thought id let other know :grin:

----------------------------------------------------------
Hi there Jivers,
Last minute reminder....
Wot R U doing for Children in Need????
Don't miss our Friday Freestyle on tomorrow with Dance with a Stranger comp in aid of BBC Children in Need with prizes of 4 tickets to see Strictly Come Dancing !!!!

FRIDAY FREESTYLE - FRI 11/11 8.30 - 12.30 pm
at Rover Sports & Social Club, Emperor Ballroom, Roman Way, Horspath, Cowley, Oxford OX4 6NL.
DJ: 'The' JON BRETT - generally recognized as the UK's leading Jive DJ
£8 on the door.
The evening includes a Dance with a Stranger fun comp to raise money for
BBC CHILDREN IN NEED
Great opportunity for you to support this very worthy cause, by taking part in the comp or judging it.
Entry to the comp is not open to dance teachers, but to everyone else.
Who wins depends on the couple with the most votes and you can vote as many times as they wish to pay for!!!
First prize for the winning couple is
4 tickets to see Strictly Come Dancing live at the BBC!!
Medals for first, second and third and prizes for those who voted the most for the winning couple.
Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.
4 hours of Fat Tunes and fab dancing!
Coralie
On behalf of all at Jive+

-----------------------------------------------

TiggsTours
10th-November-2005, 01:34 PM
I do all I can to avoid children in need, a charity that raises millions every year, just so they can pay the likes of Terry Wogan an astronomical fee to present the programme, causing many other worthy childrens charities to suffer in its wake! I'll be making a donation to the NSPCC instead, and dancing at Ashtons.

stewart38
10th-November-2005, 01:37 PM
I do all I can to avoid children in need, a charity that raises millions every year, just so they can pay the likes of Terry Wogan an astronomical fee to present the programme, causing many other worthy childrens charities to suffer in its wake! I'll be making a donation to the NSPCC instead, and dancing at Ashtons.

Does he get a fee for that ? :sick:

Go win the DWAS and give me your ticket for come dancing :nice:

Zebra Woman
10th-November-2005, 01:42 PM
I will be dancing at Ashtons too, see you there Tiggs. :clap:

Please come and say hello - I don't know who you are. I will be with Miss Conduct and Northants Girly and loads of other wimmin.

...and hopefully some men. Last time they were a bit thin on the ground.

Anyone else coming to Ashtons? Or is EVERYONE going to Camber? :tears:

ZW:flower:

LMC
10th-November-2005, 02:01 PM
I think Terry Wogan is smug and annoying. BUT not only does he host Children in Need with NO fee, he is also a trustee of CiN which entails time and legal commitments - and trustees are not paid, they are volunteers. Fair play to him. I wish more people would understand that running a charity LEGALLY and efficiently entails necessary costs. If it comes down to costs, the NSPCC is just as "bad" when it comes down to overheads - as is ANY large national charity. I avoid most national charities - especially if they use chugging as a fundraising method -and tend to donate to local ones. [ /soapbox ]

I shall be at Ashtons :). If there's a shortage of men then if any brave women are willing to let me try to lead them (not to a track you love or I'll really annoy you) then I'd be *very* grateful :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
10th-November-2005, 02:13 PM
I shall be at Ashtons :). Me too

TiggsTours
10th-November-2005, 02:26 PM
I think Terry Wogan is smug and annoying. BUT not only does he host Children in Need with NO fee, he is also a trustee of CiN which entails time and legal commitments - and trustees are not paid, they are volunteers. Fair play to him. I wish more people would understand that running a charity LEGALLY and efficiently entails necessary costs. If it comes down to costs, the NSPCC is just as "bad" when it comes down to overheads - as is ANY large national charity. I avoid most national charities - especially if they use chugging as a fundraising method -and tend to donate to local ones. [ /soapbox ]

I shall be at Ashtons :). If there's a shortage of men then if any brave women are willing to let me try to lead them (not to a track you love or I'll really annoy you) then I'd be *very* grateful :flower:
Where did you hear that? It was quite widely publicised about 3 years ago that he gets paid a HUGE fee! Maybe he decided to stop charging, after all the negative press he got.

Even so, the rest is still true, there are plenty of charities that really suffer badly every year because of Children in Need.

LMC
10th-November-2005, 03:22 PM
Where did you hear that? It was quite widely publicised about 3 years ago that he gets paid a HUGE fee! Maybe he decided to stop charging, after all the negative press he got.
A quick Google can't turn up a single article about the wide publicity surrounding him being paid, nor do I remember any (I work for a charity so I try to keep up with sector issues!). Charity law specifically states that trustees cannot be paid unless they have a special dispensation from the Charity Commission.

The BBC might pay Terry. The charity doesn't - http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/docs/community_involvement/charities/About_BBC_Children_in_Need.htm.

Even so, the rest is still true, there are plenty of charities that really suffer badly every year because of Children in Need.
Why pick on Children in Need? Plenty of charities have really suffered this year from emergency appeals from the DEC. Plenty of small charities suffer because the "big boys" have more resources to spend on advertising and fundraising. Plenty of charities have suffered from the lottery. Children in Need has been around for 20 years and runs one big annual event every year - it's not like it's a new thing (unlike the DEC...). I don't work for CiN by the way, nor do I donate to them. I agree with your principle to the extent that overheads of large organisations divert money away from other charities. But apart from the fact that they are the charity benefiting from the event of the thread title it seems odd to just pick on CiN.

foxylady
10th-November-2005, 04:25 PM
I'll be at ashtons too - boy those few men better limber up and get ready, as there is going to be a posse of women expecting satisfaction... :devil:

TiggsTours
10th-November-2005, 04:28 PM
A quick Google can't turn up a single article about the wide publicity surrounding him being paid, nor do I remember any (I work for a charity so I try to keep up with sector issues!). Charity law specifically states that trustees cannot be paid unless they have a special dispensation from the Charity Commission.

The BBC might pay Terry. The charity doesn't - http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/docs/community_involvement/charities/About_BBC_Children_in_Need.htm.

Why pick on Children in Need? Plenty of charities have really suffered this year from emergency appeals from the DEC. Plenty of small charities suffer because the "big boys" have more resources to spend on advertising and fundraising. Plenty of charities have suffered from the lottery. Children in Need has been around for 20 years and runs one big annual event every year - it's not like it's a new thing (unlike the DEC...). I don't work for CiN by the way, nor do I donate to them. I agree with your principle to the extent that overheads of large organisations divert money away from other charities. But apart from the fact that they are the charity benefiting from the event of the thread title it seems odd to just pick on CiN.
I never said I was specifically picking on Children in Need. As it happens I donated directly to a very small charity that was affected by the landslides following the flooding in Guatemala, far more than I donated to the DEC, as they were also suffering having been ignored becuase less than 10,000 people died. Never mind the fact that whole generations within some of the more rural villages have been totally wiped out.

And you're right, its the BBC that pay Terry Wogan, not the charity, but then I guess he could always ask the BBC to donate his fee to the charity, if he really wanted to. Its only one night a year out of his life, but then, I guess with his meagre salary from the BBC, he needs all the overtime he can get.

Tessalicious
10th-November-2005, 04:29 PM
I'll be at ashtons too - boy those few men better limber up and get ready, as there is going to be a posse of women expecting satisfaction... :devil:I'll be joining the posse too - although I'll volunteer for the job of trying to satisfy some of you lovely ladies too (in a purely dance sense of course :yum: ).

El Salsero Gringo
10th-November-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry but just *how* did the conversation go from Oxford freestyle to a squabble about charities? No, actually, I don't want to know. Just give me a comfy chair and some popcorn...

TiggsTours
10th-November-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry but just *how* did the conversation go from Oxford freestyle to a squabble about charities? No, actually, I don't want to know. Just give me a comfy chair and some popcorn...
Oxford Freestyle is in aid of Children in Need, I said that I don't support Children in Need, so won't be going, I wasn't particuarly picking on them!

LMC
10th-November-2005, 04:48 PM
And you're right, its the BBC that pay Terry Wogan, not the charity, but then I guess he could always ask the BBC to donate his fee to the charity, if he really wanted to. Its only one night a year out of his life, but then, I guess with his meagre salary from the BBC, he needs all the overtime he can get.
What TW gets paid is probably a drop in the ocean against the amount of £ that CiN raises for kids charities, rather than holding the event "just so they can pay him" (and I quote). However, in practice, as TW is hardly on the poverty line, you do have a point.

I just get annoyed when people seem to think that "every penny" should go to beneficiaries, ignoring the fact that any well-run organisation will inevitably incur costs - an audit is a legal requirement for a start (and so it should be).
In principle, if a professional is doing a job, then they have a right to be paid, even if it is for charidee mate. Should I feel guilty because my salary means that there is one less youth worker out there?

ESG - you're just jealous because the disassociation on this thread is particularly impressive. Have some popcorn.

Normal service will now be resumed (TT, would really appreciate picking your brains/taxi experience @Ashtons if you can forgive me for being argumentative :hug: ).

Is anyone actually going to Oxford? - so far it looks like everyone who has responded will be @Ashtons or Camber.

TiggsTours
10th-November-2005, 04:53 PM
ESG - you're just jealous because the disassociation on this thread is particularly impressive. Have some popcorn.

Normal service will now be resumed ......
:yeah: Think we ambushed this thread quite well, LMC, good work! :wink:

.....(TT, would really appreciate picking your brains/taxi experience @Ashtons if you can forgive me for being argumentative :hug: ).
Any time.:hug:

LMC
10th-November-2005, 07:06 PM
:yeah: Think we ambushed this thread quite well, LMC, good work! :wink:
Arguing can be fun :na:

What shall we do for our next trick?

How about "Whether working mothers are good or a bad?" :devil:

senorita
11th-November-2005, 12:57 PM

Heres the big comfy chair suited for a king & some popcorn too....just cooking some muffins too!
catch ya laters ;)