PDA

View Full Version : What does it for you?

Graham
27th-April-2002, 02:45 PM
I was having a conversation the other day about the most important factors contributing to one's enjoyment of a dance. What comes together to make the "perfect" dance experience for you?

For me, it's a fairly even split between the music (how easy it is for me to follow the beat, and whether I like the particular track), how well I am dancing (thinking of moves, correctly leading, and if I'm really in the groove adding some style), and my partner (basically how much I like dancing with them, and whether they appear to be enjoying themselves).

I would say that I probably only need a couple of tracks in an evening where these things come together well for me to class the whole class/party as a good night.

So what about everyone else?

DaveD
28th-April-2002, 06:45 PM
For me, the main thing is how my partner is dancing. If she looks like she's enjoying it, with good eye contact, following the lead and the beat then I dance better and it just makes a great dance. This sometimes happens to music that I wouldn't normally rate as a favourite dance track.

The same applies when you ask someone you haven't met before, maybe a at new venue or a visitor to your regular venue, and as the dance progresses and you move from basic moves to "judge" her standard and move onto the slightly more advanced stuff. Sometime you get that magic moment when her expression changes from wariness (as if saying "I don't know whether I will enjoy this") to the big grin which says "this is going really well". That's when it all comes together!

Keep on dancin'

Dave

Franck
29th-April-2002, 10:57 AM
I agree with Dave on that one, the most important thing for me is the partner I am dancing with. Not so much how well she is dancing, but the rapport / communication we establish during the dance.
Music probably comes as a close second, but that too will be influenced by whom I am dancing with... Some partners fit some styles of music more than others...
How I dance comes last, but maybe it is easy for me to say :)

Franck.

Franck
7th-May-2002, 02:50 PM
Since the Championships week-end, I have come to revise my opinion slightly... I reckon, the atmosphere at a venue has a big impact after all. Both Saturday night and Sunday the atmosphere was electric, and certainly did it for me. I had some of my best dances ever this week-end, first of all thanks to all of my partners, but also because of the general mood and excitement we were all experiencing. :nice: :wink:

So, thanks to all of you who danced with me. You made my week-end. :cheers:

Cheers,

Franck.

John McAulay
10th-May-2002, 12:44 PM
The music is the most important for me
if its good - you are more likely to make more of an effort
If its bad - it can be a task
if its real bad - time to find a hole to jump in.

regards

just in case anyone has spotted it
Im bored at work and Im trying to be the first name
on as many threads as possible.
I may even try for a new site record!

Amanda
10th-May-2002, 01:33 PM
yeah John, I spotted it. I know the signs - still it IS Friday....

Amanda

Franck
13th-May-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by John McAulay
just in case anyone has spotted it
Im bored at work and Im trying to be the first name
on as many threads as possible.
I may even try for a new site record! Good attempt John, but it seems you still have a way to go if you want to catch up with the likes of :
John S 56
filthycute Ê41
Stuart M Ê Ê33
Sheena Ê Ê 32
Jayne Ê 31
bill foreman 21

So far you have managed 20 posts. Not bad, but could do better.
It looks like filthycute is catching up with John S though!

Franck.

John S
13th-May-2002, 06:48 PM
How embarrassing - what a saddo I must be :(

I suppose the mark of "success" in this is when you've submitted more posts than the years of your age. At 56 posts (now 57) I'm making no comment without consulting my solicitor. :D

Graham
13th-May-2002, 07:20 PM
Franck,

Ah yes, but if you look at posts per day, John McAulay is way up there - third only to you (3 posts every 2 days) and John S (1 post every 2 days).

I'll tactfully refrain from commenting on John S's post. :wink: After all, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :grin:

filthycute
14th-May-2002, 05:18 PM
So if i get to 50 posts will i get my name changed Franck? :D
I'm not sure if "honorary Angel is ...erm.....apt anymore :devil:

filthycute x x

jiveoholic
14th-May-2002, 06:12 PM
I'm probably on another planet here but...
...I enjoy a dance if my partner and I learn to do something well by the end of the dance that we could not at the beginning. It really does not matter if it is with a beginner and a beginner move (eg arm jive) is metamorphasised into an arm-jive teapot or some flashy dip with someone more experienced.

I tend to treat jive like a game of squash - I want, by the end of the evening to have had a good work-out and mental stimulation too - the fact that its with a "girlie" is a secondary benefit - although I have to admit to dancing once with a man (who invaded my three-some!) and shall not do that again in a hurry!

Heather
14th-May-2002, 10:52 PM
Well , I must say , I didn't realise there was a competition going to see who could post the most messages on the board!!!!
My motto is " If you don't have anything relevant to say- Keep your mouth shut".
John McAuley obviously has a lot of time on his hands, he either needs to get himself a real job or at least hope his boss doesn't find out that he is spending most of his time on the Internet. No wonder the British economy is in its present state.
Its just as well those of us who are teachers, doctors, nurses and other public servants don't take a leaf out of his book!!!!!
I certainly hope he works for private industry- I'd hate to think my taxes are paying for his internet time. :angry:

John S
15th-May-2002, 09:45 AM
Come on, Heather - I really don't think the ills of the British economy can all be laid at the door of the Ceroc Chat Forum!! Just don't suggest that to Gordon Brown. :D

I won't be getting into an argument about this, but I don't mind how many messages anyone sends or when they send them - the Message Board, like ordinary conversation, should be used to strengthen the links between all of us who love to dance, and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?

But let's not have a go at each other, ok? Life's too short and uncertain :)

Franck
15th-May-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by jiveoholic
I'm probably on another planet here but...
...I enjoy a dance if my partner and I learn to do something well by the end of the dance that we could not at the beginning. It really does not matter if it is with a beginner and a beginner move (eg arm jive) is metamorphasised into an arm-jive teapot or some flashy dip with someone more experienced.

I tend to treat jive like a game of squash - I want, by the end of the evening to have had a good work-out and mental stimulation too - the fact that its with a "girlie" is a secondary benefit - although I have to admit to dancing once with a man (who invaded my three-some!) and shall not do that again in a hurry! Wow, Jiveoholic, do you really treat dancing like a game of squash?
Do you measure the quality of a dance by how much you learnt while dancing?
If so, then I'll have to agree with you, you really must be from another planet :wink:

This is quite interesting, as no doubt, we all get different things out of dancing, while assuming everyone else is the same...
I have to admit that my main satisfaction / pleasure is seeing my partner happy during a dance (a purely selfish wish on my part).
Learning new things should be left to the classes / workshops and side practice, Freestyle is just there for fun (and showing off a bit :wink: :devil: ).

I'll leave the "dancing with a man" bit for another thread...

Franck.

jiveoholic
16th-May-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Franck
Wow, Jiveoholic, do you really treat dancing like a game of squash?....you really must be from another planet :wink:
I have to admit that my main satisfaction / pleasure is seeing my partner happy during a dance (a purely selfish wish on my part).
Learning new things should be left to the classes / workshops ....
Franck.

Yes - quite - so have you asked what gives pleasure to a lady? I know so many ladies that want to learn but the men are quite happy to do the same old steps they are used to. I know so many ladies that complain that the men do not even try to get the moves they learned in the lesson right - or even try them at all.

Perhaps I put it a bit extremely, but do the ladies want to do moves that take a bit of effort to learn (with steps such as the columbian or getting the timing right on a jump or hop-hop)?

Over to you ladies...

Franck
16th-May-2002, 12:59 PM
...have you asked what gives pleasure to a lady? I know so many ladies that want to learn but the men are quite happy to do the same old steps they are used to. I know so many ladies that complain that the men do not even try to get the moves they learned in the lesson right - or even try them at all.

Perhaps I put it a bit extremely, but do the ladies want to do moves that take a bit of effort to learn (with steps such as the columbian or getting the timing right on a jump or hop-hop)?

Over to you ladies... Indeed, I am with you on this one, and I am sure that most of us men think we know what gives pleasure to our partner (rightly or wrongly), and doing the same old steps over and over is definitely not up there.

My guess is that women like
a man who can lead confidently and comfortably the moves
surprises and variations to avoid repetitiveness and boredom :(
Musical interpretation, moves fit the music...

I suspect that we will get more feedback from the ladies in here and in the new thread/Poll started by DavidB.

In case my previous post was mis-understood, I totally think practising new / tricky moves is useful and can be fun, but it is best to do this off the dance floor / outside of the freestyle with a willing partner until such moves are perfected and then feel natural in freestyle.
:waycool:

Franck.

filthycute
16th-May-2002, 05:57 PM
OK i don't know how to work the quote thingy yet.....but i agree with whatever jiveholic says :D
I find it really frustrating when i've done a class with great moves , then as soon as someone mentions the word freestyle, they are gone and never to be seen again :tears:
I've brought this up in front of men before , to be met with the reply.."well just say what moves you like doing" Does the word "DOH!" spring to mind? Could just about picture the scene,....In the middle of a dance trying to describe what moves you like..."excuse me, can you do that thingy move,..you know the one where you turn that way, and i turn that way, you offer both hands......"

Nah i don't think it'll work neither :yum:
S'not fair...we wimmen don't get a choice :tears:

Well they do say it's a mans world......It must have been a Cerocer that came up with that line :p

I'll just go and console myself in my little Line Dancing world and dance what moves i like :D

filthycute x x

filthycute
16th-May-2002, 06:00 PM
Little Devil?.....MOI??.....i'm sorry you must have the wrong person :rolleyes:

:innocent:

The Ginger Swinger x x

:D

jiveoholic
16th-May-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
....I find it really frustrating when i've done a class with great moves , then as soon as someone mentions the word freestyle, they are gone and never to be seen again :tears:
I've brought this up in front of men before , to be met with the reply.."well just say what moves you like doing"
filthycute x x

I have a t-shirt that lists all the moves I like doing. There are four sections: grope'n'grind, low-flying, leaps-of-faith and frustratingly-complicated. The whole shirt is entitled "you choose, I'll lead"!

It failed because its too dark for the lady to read my shirt whilst I am jiggling up'n'down!

John S
17th-May-2002, 10:45 AM

I have a t-shirt that lists all the moves I like doing.........

It failed because its too dark for the lady to read my shirt whilst I am jiggling up'n'down!

If you get it printed in braille it might be more rewarding. :D :eek:

jiveoholic
17th-May-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by John S

If you get it printed in braille it might be more rewarding. :D :eek:

I do think so....those lovely fingers running across my chest...mmmmmmmm

Franck
17th-May-2002, 12:19 PM
If you get it printed in braille it might be more rewarding.

I do think so....those lovely fingers running across my chest...mmmmmmmm Steady on boys! :really: :wink:

Franck.

P.S. Where can I get that t-shirt?

Jayne
17th-May-2002, 12:34 PM

I do think so....those lovely fingers running across my chest...mmmmmmmm

Which move is that? The only dance moves I know with fingers running across your partner's body go behind his back.... Or am I going wrong somewhere? :what: :wink:

I like the idea of a shirt with your prefences shown on it. If only it could be applied to more areas of life... :rolleyes:

Jayne

jiveoholic
17th-May-2002, 03:10 PM

Steady on boys! :really: :wink:

Franck.

P.S. Where can I get that t-shirt?

Hi Franck, made up the pattern myself with Coreldraw and printed my own using a special T-shirt film on my printer. It is then ironed on. Costs about 1£ + T-shirt.

John McAulay
23rd-May-2002, 01:17 AM
well heather!:eek:
Sorry its taken me so long to your rather sad comments
about my boring friday (allmost two weeks ago)
as I've been offshore I missed your unkind remarks!
some freinds did relay the content to me, but!
as I make it a rule of mine never to attack anything or anybody
lower down the food chain than me, I will not reply to those comments!:tears:

I will thank those who did defend my position,
ceroc is about people making freinds braking down barriers,
having a laugh at yourself and with others,not attacking others you dont know!
this site I hope carries on those principles.
if thats not what you think feel free to a site that serves your principles better, or stay and chill
regards:waycool:

Sandy
7th-June-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Graham
I was having a conversation the other day about the most important factors contributing to one's enjoyment of a dance. What comes together to make the "perfect" dance experience for you?Hi, being a fairly new recruit to Ceroc I would say that the music is the first thing to get me onto the dance floor and give me the courage to ask someone to dance with me; if it's a good tune/beat I can do this easily. I originally thought the venue was really important but if the music is right it doesn't really matter. Our parties in Aberdeen are held in what looks a bit like a school hall (no offence meant here by the way) but once the music starts playing it doesn't matter. I had a brilliant night.

Dancing with someone who is a good lead and who looks as if he is enjoying dancing with me, yes smiling, even when I stand on their toes, is so important. Variety is great but not the most important thing. Having lots of dances with cheery partners to good music about sums it up for me.

Cheers

Sandra

:wink:

Emma
8th-June-2002, 11:36 AM
I totally think practising new / tricky moves is useful and can be fun, but it is best to do this off the dance floor / outside of the freestyle with a willing partner until such moves are perfected and then feel natural in freestyle.

I totally agree. I was having a brilliant dance the other night (something by Frank Sinatra, a really good male lead, and eye contact: can't lose!) and then he paused to teach me a move I didn't know. Which is great, I love learning new moves; but in the middle of a great freestyle moment for me it was a bit frustrating. I'd rather people carried on dancing and then took a moment at the end of a dance to go through a move. That way I get the best of both worlds...great dance, and a new move :grin:

Lou
4th-July-2002, 01:10 PM
Emma - I agree. Go through the move afterwards and them grab him for another dance straight after - so that you can put it into practice. :wink:

What does it for me? I prefer the slightly slower tracks (for example, Mustang Sally or Fever), just because you can make an effort with more "style points". A man with a good lead and a sense of humour, and good rhythm! Oh, and who actually looks at you when he's dancing.

Actually - that's the most annoying thing ever. In class, when someone is always looking at the teachers & never looks you in the eye. :reallymad

jiveoholic
4th-July-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Hi David,

Yup - of course I wouldn't advocate not ever looking at the teacher!:grin: Of course you need to see what they're doing. :D
Just to throw in my two penny worth (cent worth?)....I remember when I first learned to jive thinking that the teaching was so good from a teacher in Basingstoke called Steve that a blind person could learn to dance from the instructions.

Teachers.....a challenge to you! Always teach as if your "congegration" cannot see. This is not as stupid as it suggests as most cannot as they are too far away!

Franck
5th-July-2002, 11:08 AM
Teachers.....a challenge to you! Always teach as if your "congegration" cannot see. This is not as stupid as it suggests as most cannot as they are too far away! Not as unlikely as it might sound, I remember a couple of years ago in Aberdeen, a blind lady was learning Ceroc... We also had a guy in a wheel-chair who was actually doing really well !

There are challenges aplenty for teachers, though I have to admit that as the saying goes, the worst blind are those who refuse to see :nice: (or those who think they know it all and refuse to hear !)

As far as looking at your partner / teacher, it is a tricky one, it seems some people manage to look at neither (probably out of shyness and nerves though).
I wonder what the proper etiquette would be during a class when partners are rotated... Do you introduce yourself, do you say hi? Do you say nothing but smile? Do you run? :wink:
Do you find you have taken your partnerÕs hand immediately and then the teacher is taking ages to get started...
Do you comment on your partnerÕs progress?

Tell us all what you do and what you would like your partners to do... I am sure most of us would find this very interesting.

Franck.

Sandy
8th-July-2002, 09:32 PM
As far as looking at your partner / teacher, it is a tricky one, it seems some people manage to look at neither (probably out of shyness and nerves though).
I wonder what the proper etiquette would be during a class when partners are rotated... Do you introduce yourself, do you say hi? Do you say nothing but smile? Do you run? :wink:
Do you find you have taken your partnerÕs hand immediately and then the teacher is taking ages to get started...
Do you comment on your partnerÕs progress?

Tell us all what you do and what you would like your partners to do... I am sure most of us would find this very interesting.

Franck. Hi

I find that most guys don't introduce themselves, a few do but I think shyness plays a large part in this particularly if they are new, older members maybe assume you know their name already! I think it would be nice if we did introduce ourselves, it would break the ice a bit although the class might last a bit longer! I'm just as guilty, I tend to just smile or say something general like "how's it going?". I think saying something is better than saying nothing at all.

Definitely don't take the partners hand - a bit too shy for that!
:innocent: Guys tend to take the lead on this and occasionally have taken my hand a bit too soon and by the time the class actually starts our hands have gone a bit sweaty! but you don't like to draw your hand away in case the guy is insulted.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sandy

TheTramp
13th-May-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Heather
Well , I must say , I didn't realise there was a competition going to see who could post the most messages on the board!!!!
My motto is " If you don't have anything relevant to say- Keep your mouth shut".
John McAuley obviously has a lot of time on his hands, he either needs to get himself a real job or at least hope his boss doesn't find out that he is spending most of his time on the Internet. No wonder the British economy is in its present state.
Its just as well those of us who are teachers, doctors, nurses and other public servants don't take a leaf out of his book!!!!!
I certainly hope he works for private industry- I'd hate to think my taxes are paying for his internet time. :angry: Well. I'm glad that I didn't see this post until now.... :tears:

Were you having a bad day then Heather??

Anyhow, of course, I'll immediately stop posting now!! :whistle:

Trampy

Pammy
13th-May-2004, 11:28 AM
and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?

But let's not have a go at each other, ok? Life's too short and uncertain :)

Well said :cheers: :yeah:

Gadget
13th-May-2004, 12:33 PM
Who's dragging up all these old polls?

Originally posted by Graham
I was having a conversation the other day about the most important factors contributing to one's enjoyment of a dance. What comes together to make the "perfect" dance experience for you?
For me, I think that it's the connection between me, my partner and the music.
I have foud that I tend to have a great start and middle to a dance and screw up the end; or a great start and end, but screw up the middle; or even a great middle and end having screwed up the start. The less I screw up, the better the 'feel' of the dance...strange that :rolleyes::blush:

Some things can make up for others - eg an un-inspiring track, but an inspiring partner can still be a great dance; or a buzzing atmosphere making up for a poor venue... etc.

To have a great dance, all I think you need is a bit of space, a responsive partner, some decent music and {the hardest bit} not leading the lady into something impossable to get out of again smoothly/with dignaty/at all/... :whistle:

philsmove
15th-May-2004, 02:21 PM
"You choose, I'll lead"!

:yeah:

but how many of us even bother to ask

Going back on the other planet
It has to be whom I am dancing with
Last night my first dance was with an amazing lady -
A shy smile, a slight pout and you know exactly what moves to do

under par
24th-May-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Sandy
Hi

I find that most guys don't introduce themselves, a few do but I think shyness plays a large part in this particularly if they are new, older members maybe assume you know their name already! I think it would be nice if we did introduce ourselves, it would break the ice a bit although the class might last a bit longer! I'm just as guilty, I tend to just smile or say something general like "how's it going?". I think saying something is better than saying nothing at all.

Cheers

Sandy

Reading this old thread leads me to say that during lessons and partner rotation I always introduce myself to my partner. ( a practice taught by both local teachers Graham Lecerc and Mikey) I try my best to remeber all the names of the partners for their return.:confused:

It certainly impressses them when 10 minutes later you say "hello ..... welcome back ! " hows the lesson?" but I see it as a matter of courtesy.

But the main point is if you are going to be dancing together and especially if you are dancing and learning close up moves (especially at Mikey's lessons) you should at least know the name of the person you are being up close to.
:yeah: :yeah:

under par
24th-May-2004, 01:12 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?

But let's not have a go at each other, ok? Life's too short and uncertain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said

I can but agree!!! life is far too short for bickering over dance which should be so much fun:kiss: :hug: :cheers:

under par
24th-May-2004, 01:21 AM
Without wishing to hog this thread too much more I feel that the music is a major factor in having a great night.:yeah:

When your DJ plays a set and you come off the dance floor exhausted but the next track inspires you to grab the nearest partner to continue and this occurs repeatedly through an evening I think THIS MUSIC is the inspiration to the dancers to enjoy the evening.

I have been to a couple of venues where the music has been so unispiring that I have sat out for track after track. only really getting up to dance in response to a request.:blush:

I never say "NO":cheers: :cheers:

Little Em
24th-May-2004, 01:51 PM
had to put my little comment onto here.!! :nice:

what really gets me going (:wink: ) is when i dance with someone who interprets well to the music ....so often i have dances which have good moves in but are not being danced to the music!!!

second on my list... music!! i love diff styles of music so im not fussy!!! ;)

and thirdly.... men smile!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

such a lot of men dont!! .....an us ladies love it when u do!!

little em x x:innocent:

Lynn
25th-May-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by littleemc-central
what really gets me going (:wink: ) is when i dance with someone who interprets well to the music ....so often i have dances which have good moves in but are not being danced to the music!!!

second on my list... music!! i love diff styles of music so im not fussy!!! ;)

and thirdly.... men smile!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :yeah: Summed it up pretty well there!

I enjoy a dance most when that whole 'lead-follow' thing clicks and for those few minutes your focus is on that connection, on responding to partner and music - bliss!

But how I am dancing affects things for me too as if I feel I am dancing badly, that my partner must be having a bad dance and feel guilty about that. :sad:

White Knuckle Ride
31st-May-2004, 01:22 PM
the Message Board, like ordinary conversation, should be used to strengthen the links between all of us who love to dance, and if sometimes that means we fill the space with comments that aren't of earth-shattering importance, so what?

Spot on John. Deep meaningless conversations keep lines of communication going until the more profound stuff kicks in.

bigdjiver
31st-May-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by White Knuckle Ride
Spot on John. Deep meaningless conversations keep lines of communication going until the more profound stuff kicks in. I think that is why there is a section called chit-chat:devil:

jivegirl100
20th-August-2004, 11:59 PM
All I need as a cool track, a guy who dances with a smile on his face and his hands off your a**e .

I'm simple like that :nice:

Claire

drathzel
26th-August-2004, 07:00 PM
Emma - I agree. Go through the move afterwards and them grab him for another dance straight after - so that you can put it into practice. :wink:

What does it for me? I prefer the slightly slower tracks (for example, Mustang Sally or Fever), just because you can make an effort with more "style points". A man with a good lead and a sense of humour, and good rhythm! Oh, and who actually looks at you when he's dancing.

Actually - that's the most annoying thing ever. In class, when someone is always looking at the teachers & never looks you in the eye. :reallymad

I am only a beginner and i am very self consious and find it hard to look at the man when i am dancing, especially if he is very good at dancing or if he is extremly good looking :blush:

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 08:31 AM
I am only a beginner and i am very self consious and find it hard to look at the man when i am dancing, especially if he is very good at dancing or if he is extremly good looking :blush:
One solution is to look at and follow the lead hand: much better than just avoiding looking at your partner. You can look at his ear or chin as well - this gives the illusion that you are looking at them.

Alternativly, dance with your eyes closed; a good lead should be able to dance and lead you without any visual signals. I know a few ladies that close there eyes for segments of the dance. I have been known to lead with my eyes closed on occasion as well... hmmm... that might explain a few things :sick::blush::whistle:

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 10:31 AM
One solution is to look at and follow the lead hand: much better than just avoiding looking at your partner. You can look at his ear or chin as well - this gives the illusion that you are looking at them.

Alternativly, dance with your eyes closed; a good lead should be able to dance and lead you without any visual signals. I know a few ladies that close there eyes for segments of the dance. I have been known to lead with my eyes closed on occasion as well... hmmm... that might explain a few things :sick::blush::whistle:

Thats actually really a good idea. I close my eyes often when i listen to music so it wouldn't be that mush difference....except i have no balance!!!

I find i'm looking at my feet trying to make sue they go in the right direction!!!! :confused:

baldrick
27th-August-2004, 11:11 AM
Noticed last night when dancing with the more experienced ladies that the little variations on bginners moves, eg yo-yo or 1st move, brought a smile to the face of someone who till that point did not seem impressed. I'm enjoying this, seems to bring a bit of life to the dance without needing to know lot of comlex moves.

DianaS
27th-August-2004, 11:14 AM
Me too Drathzel, if they are really good looking just focus on their body,
I find it helps :whistle:

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 11:18 AM
Me too Drathzel, if they are really good looking just focus on their body,
I find it helps :whistle:

Do you not find it hard to concentrate on thats as well as everything else? i don't think that i have got the hang of being completely led

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 11:32 AM
Thats actually really a good idea. I close my eyes often when i listen to music so it wouldn't be that mush difference....except i have no balance!!!

I find i'm looking at my feet trying to make sue they go in the right direction!!!! :confused:
From various sources, closing your eyes does help your dancing; you "feel" the moves more rather than anticipating.

Looking at your feet is not advisable: It dosn't look good and they are only there to stop you falling over - anything else is just style. Head up and back straight - if you can at least fake confidence, then your dancing will look a lot better. {In my opinion anyway :wink:}

DianaS
27th-August-2004, 11:33 AM
Do you not find it hard to concentrate on thats as well as everything else? i don't think that i have got the hang of being completely led

Hi Drathzel, Well it sort of helps me no end! If I can't look at their face cas their just too damn dashing, I look at the mid-point between their shoulders and down an inch or two. This point is the first point that moves so I can tell by monitoring this spot where they are off to next. I picked it up from inline hockey and tae kwon do. Before I learnt how to follow properly I followed just by using this point.

It does get easier to give eye contact when you know them better so try to get chatting with them for a while before you go on to dance. You can ask them if they would like the next dance with you and chat with them about the music any thing else that springs to mind. I find it very difficult if I'm just asked cold by someone I don't know who is drop dead gorgeous and dancers like a god...

...but if there is anyone out there like that I REALLY need the practice so drop me a PM and we'll see if I can work through this at last :whistle:

Lory
27th-August-2004, 11:43 AM
I find it very difficult if I'm just asked cold by someone I don't know who is drop dead gorgeous and dancers like a god...

Funny! I don't seem to find that difficult to cope with at all! :D :yum: :rofl:

DianaS
27th-August-2004, 11:47 AM
Funny! I don't seem to find that difficult to cope with at all! :D :yum: :rofl:
I definately need more practice then!
Tell me do you look at their face or try and distract yourself by looking elsewhere?
We do need some guidance here...

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 11:51 AM
Noticed last night when dancing with the more experienced ladies that the little variations on bginners moves, eg yo-yo or 1st move, brought a smile to the face of someone who till that point did not seem impressed. I'm enjoying this, seems to bring a bit of life to the dance without needing to know lot of comlex moves.
You're on the verge of a breakthrough: "complex moves" are not really "complex" - all they contain are variations on beginners moves.
For example - just now I'm experimenting by not finishing any moves; First move in and twist out, but then just moving round to face and doing another move eg octopus. Or start an arm jive, and simply let go the hip hand and put my partner into a lady-spin. Or start a Cattapult, then duck under the barrier arm on exit instead of bringing the lady infront to spin. Nothing "complex"; just variations on beginners moves that keep my partner alert. :devil:

MartinHarper
27th-August-2004, 11:59 AM
First move in and twist out, but then just moving round to face and doing another move eg octopus

Hmm, presumably you need an extra beat to do a step back between moving to face and starting an octopus? Otherwise I think you'd be too close.

Sheepman
27th-August-2004, 12:29 PM
and find it hard to look at the man when i am dancing,
There's a whole thread on this - eye contact (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2205) It will get easier to do in time, and it is worth it, it's one of the single most effective things that can make a dance go from :nice: to :D :waycool: :clap: :flower:

Greg

TheTramp
27th-August-2004, 01:38 PM
Give yourself a break. You've only been to a few classes. Rome wasn't built in a day you know....

Trampy

DianaS
27th-August-2004, 02:00 PM
Give yourself a break. You've only been to a few classes. Rome wasn't built in a day you know....

Trampy
and get lots of practice in, 'specially with those really dishy guys... where did you say you dance?? :waycool:

CJ
27th-August-2004, 02:15 PM
Well, would "rhythmic strokes with a slight turn of the wrist" get this thread back on topic?!?

:blush:

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 02:34 PM
Hmm, presumably you need an extra beat to do a step back between moving to face and starting an octopus? Otherwise I think you'd be too close.
:what: Dunno. I think from being side to side with arm folded, I start the lady stepping back, while I pivot, following her, then past so the arms are barriers, we are side by side, and I've rotated 270º. Not much to it really - hardest bit is picking up the spare hand.
To be honest, it's more intuative than thought out: the conseous descision is to not finish - what happens after that depends on the music, where my partner moves and how the movement flows.

I just discovered a cool new variation to a move on Tuesday this way: double handed elbow roll into cattapult finish. :D (Been playing with Elbow-rolls since Marc taught a couple in some workshops I went to :waycool: )

Bill
27th-August-2004, 04:13 PM
"complex moves" are not really "complex" - all they contain are variations on beginners moves.

well Gadget... some moves are complex in that they require more attention and are more difficult to complete and to lead. A whole range of moves are not particularly complex but they are 'intermediate' moves rather than beginners eg the archiespin.

And just because a move may be a variuation it doesn't mean it's not complex. I find some of Viktors moves very complex but other men might find them pretty easy.

As for cutting moves short...that's fine if well led and on the beat otherwise the poor woman will be off balance and woner what the hell happened to the move !! :sick:

Sheepman
27th-August-2004, 04:21 PM
Been playing with Elbow-rolls What's an elbow roll? :confused:

Greg

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 04:52 PM
From various sources, closing your eyes does help your dancing; you "feel" the moves more rather than anticipating.

Looking at your feet is not advisable: It dosn't look good and they are only there to stop you falling over - anything else is just style. Head up and back straight - if you can at least fake confidence, then your dancing will look a lot better. {In my opinion anyway :wink:}

Hmmm Faking it... good idea. I may try that one because i have no realy confidence in the dance just yet!!! :yeah:

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi Drathzel, Well it sort of helps me no end! If I can't look at their face cas their just too damn dashing, I look at the mid-point between their shoulders and down an inch or two. This point is the first point that moves so I can tell by monitoring this spot where they are off to next. I picked it up from inline hockey and tae kwon do. Before I learnt how to follow properly I followed just by using this point.

It does get easier to give eye contact when you know them better so try to get chatting with them for a while before you go on to dance. You can ask them if they would like the next dance with you and chat with them about the music any thing else that springs to mind. I find it very difficult if I'm just asked cold by someone I don't know who is drop dead gorgeous and dancers like a god...

...but if there is anyone out there like that I REALLY need the practice so drop me a PM and we'll see if I can work through this at last :whistle:

ok where on earth do you practice cuz there is only one decent guy in our group!! I wanna know where all these drop dead gorgeous ones, everyone is talking about, are!!! :flower:

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 04:57 PM

Trampy

I know i just think i need all the help i can get and getting all this advice helps!! Everyone is so helpful and i look forward to meeting and dancing with you all at BFG!! (if i can arrange to go)

Gojive
27th-August-2004, 05:05 PM
ok where on earth do you practice cuz there is only one decent guy in our group!! I wanna know where all these drop dead gorgeous ones, everyone is talking about, are!!! :flower:

Don't worry about all the drop dead gorgeous ones Danielle, they're far too conceited to care. Stick with us ugly sods, we'll treat you right :wink:

RobC
27th-August-2004, 05:08 PM
London - more specifically, H!P$T3R$ :wink:
:clap: :cheers: :hug:

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 05:59 PM
What's an elbow roll? :confused:

Greg
Easier to explain one handed: R to ladies R, turn her as per a normal turn/return, but you change the dropping of the hand to finish; hand starts to follow the same path, but the elbow remains high and comes over to the inside of the ladies arm, hand is released and lead/contact continues with the outside of the upper arm and shoulder.
Normally I turn under it at this point, ending in a R-shoulder in-line stance facing my partner, her hand on my shoulder; slide back and sway in to finish.
Double handed is roughly the same; most of the lead is the R hand, the L just holds on.

There is also a move R to L, taking the lady forward where you point your elbow to her face(almost) then hooking it over the top of the lady's arm; I'm sure that's an elbow roll as well.

Confused yet? :D

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 06:10 PM
Don't worry about all the drop dead gorgeous ones Danielle, they're far too conceited to care. Stick with us ugly sods, we'll treat you right :wink:

I'd be lucky if even the "ugly sods" would look at me. But hey i love to dance and my enthusasm is catching.

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 06:11 PM
London - more specifically, H!P$T3R$ :wink:
:clap: :cheers: :hug:

a bit far away from me for weekly class unfortunately!!! :tears:

Lory
27th-August-2004, 06:12 PM
Confused yet? :D
Yes! :sick:

So glad I'm not a man! :nice:

RobC
27th-August-2004, 06:31 PM
So glad I'm not a man! :nice:
So are we - wouldn't have half as much fun dancing with you if you were :whistle:

:flower: :hug:

baldrick
27th-August-2004, 06:36 PM
I'd be lucky if even the "ugly sods" would look at me. But hey i love to dance and my enthusasm is catching.

Hey, I refuse to be defined/insulted/offended until I'm sure who's playing. :D

Don't worry about us men, trust me its a wonderful and constant suprise that people keep asking me to dance with them. :clap:

And its true what they're telling you. Keep doing it and you get better Relax and enjoy. ;)

DianaS
27th-August-2004, 06:37 PM
I thought that they must be at your place 'cas you had all this trouble coming over a'tremblin'!
There's some fine lookin' men around these parts. Next time your passing I'll give you a tour...If there are any that are too handsome to dance with you just turn them down nicely, :cheers:

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 07:46 PM
I thought that they must be at your place 'cas you had all this trouble coming over a'tremblin'!
There's some fine lookin' men around these parts. Next time your passing I'll give you a tour...If there are any that are too handsome to dance with you just turn them down nicely, :cheers:

I've never turned down a dance in my life and i dont intend to start!! I'll just have to make a prat of myself!!

drathzel
27th-August-2004, 07:47 PM
Hey, I refuse to be defined/insulted/offended until I'm sure who's playing. :D

Don't worry about us men, trust me its a wonderful and constant suprise that people keep asking me to dance with them. :clap:

And its true what they're telling you. Keep doing it and you get better Relax and enjoy. ;)

i can't remember if you said but do you go to tues or wed night classes? :confused:

DianaS
27th-August-2004, 07:49 PM
I've never turned down a dance in my life and i dont intend to start!! I'll just have to make a prat of myself!!
Well, when ya commin' gal? Just look at their chests and concentrate on their bodies! It works.. OK?

baldrick
27th-August-2004, 10:37 PM
i can't remember if you said but do you go to tues or wed night classes? :confused:

Hi there, I'm a Tuesday kind of a guy :D :whistle:

Tiggerbabe
28th-August-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, would "rhythmic strokes with a slight turn of the wrist" get this thread back on topic?!?

Possibly :wink: :whistle:

CJ
28th-August-2004, 12:16 PM
Possibly :wink: :whistle:

Try me... :wink:

Gadget
29th-August-2004, 05:21 PM
Well, when ya commin' gal? Just look at their chests and concentrate on their bodies! It works.. OK?
Note: this does not work for men leading - unless you are happy doing the arm jive 23 times in a dance :whistle:

ducasi
6th-August-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey Danielle!

Do you still believe this??

drathzel
16th-January-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey Danielle!

Do you still believe this??

that there is only one good looking guy i dance with.... yup i still believe that, and in fact i am sitting in his flat right now!:grin:

altho thinking back i cant rem who i was talking about :confused:

ducasi
16th-January-2006, 03:07 PM
that there is only one good looking guy i dance with.... yup i still believe that, and in fact i am sitting in his flat right now!:grin:

altho thinking back i cant rem who i was talking about :confused:
Why can't I find a broken heart smiley when I need one? :tears:

drathzel
16th-January-2006, 03:10 PM
Why can't I find a broken heart smiley when I need one? :tears:

i was taking about goregous men, not decent dancers! Altho its just as well, i think LW wouldnt be happy about the competition:D

ducasi
16th-January-2006, 06:39 PM
i was taking about goregous men, not decent dancers! Me too! :wink: