PDA

View Full Version : Family Trees

Missy D
9th-November-2005, 10:30 AM
Me and Dee (My sis) have recently been talking of family trees and have no idea how to start looking into ours. Sadly we lost all the family we had - the anniversary being this month of our parents. We know our family has strong links with Italy but we cant speak Italian. So where do we start? We may find that there is still distant family still alive on this earth. Can anyone help or advise us?

Has anyone else looked into their family trees?

:flower:

David Bailey
9th-November-2005, 10:46 AM
My Dad's doing this at the moment, he uses Genes Re-united (http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/).

Also see http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp - and the Mormons apparently have a lot of information on this area, which was news to me.

Good luck!

TiggsTours
9th-November-2005, 10:57 AM
My dad's done loads of geneology, he's traced both his & my mum's side of the family back to the early 1700's, and is currently writing a book on geneology! He can talk about this sort of stuff till the cows come home!

If you like, I can pass your personal email address on to him, and he'll happily help to point you in the right direction.

Amanda.

Missy D
9th-November-2005, 01:49 PM
My dad's done loads of geneology, he's traced both his & my mum's side of the family back to the early 1700's, and is currently writing a book on geneology! He can talk about this sort of stuff till the cows come home!

If you like, I can pass your personal email address on to him, and he'll happily help to point you in the right direction.

Amanda.

Thank you! please do pass on my email.

Missy D
9th-November-2005, 01:49 PM
My Dad's doing this at the moment, he uses Genes Re-united (http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/).

Also see http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp - and the Mormons apparently have a lot of information on this area, which was news to me.

Good luck!

Thank you!:flower:

Minnie M
9th-November-2005, 03:05 PM
My dad's done loads of geneology........
he's not a bad dancer too :D

Dizzy
9th-November-2005, 03:19 PM
Me and Dee (My sis) have recently been talking of family trees and have no idea how to start looking into ours. Sadly we lost all the family we had - the anniversary being this month of our parents. We know our family has strong links with Italy but we cant speak Italian. So where do we start? We may find that there is still distant family still alive on this earth. Can anyone help or advise us?

You could hava a look into the National UK census going back to 1901 for information:

http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

TiggsTours
9th-November-2005, 03:45 PM
he's not a bad dancer too :D
Thank you Minnie, I shall pass on your compliments. :flower:

Lynn
9th-November-2005, 03:46 PM
... - and the Mormons apparently have a lot of information on this area, which was news to me.There is a reason for that. Mormons believe that you can be baptised by proxy for deceased family members, hence the interest in genealogy.

stewart38
9th-November-2005, 03:51 PM
3yrs ago i discovered the internet for my family tree

Did the usual wow ! i can go back 300yrs in 3 nights stuff

Funny thing is when I posted did any one know the Drivers in west Malling (my dads mums surname) someone got back to me

Cut a long story short his Grand father was my Great grand mothers brother. The families lost contact mid 1950s

He told me where i had gone wrong in about 1840 ! (so you can do a lot on the net) I never did send him that photo

Always post something ie does anyone know etc and you would be amazed whos looking out there as well !

TiggsTours
9th-November-2005, 03:53 PM
There is a reason for that. Mormons believe that you can be baptised by proxy for deceased family members, hence the interest in genealogy.
That is right, although most of the links on here have dependancies:

National UK Census - that your relatives are registered in the UK (which it sounds like Missy D's aren't)

Family Search Org, Genes Reunited - That your relatives have registered with these sites, and have registered enough details that you will link to them!

I registered with Genes Reunited, and even after all the research my father has done, I still only came up with one positive match, him!

dee
9th-November-2005, 03:56 PM
Lets hope sis, from some of the replies so far, we can find out who we really are, be great if there was at least some family still on this earth. :hug:

Thanks everyone who has posted so far :flower:

Whitebeard
9th-November-2005, 04:17 PM
I registered with Genes Reunited, and even after all the research my father has done, I still only came up with one positive match, him!

I've been more fortunate than that and have made online contact with, off-hand, about six distant cousins. And as it happens they're all quite young ladies; though not one is a jiver. I wonder if that's accidental or whether women are generally more into researching their genealogy.

TiggsTours
9th-November-2005, 06:16 PM
I've been more fortunate than that and have made online contact with, off-hand, about six distant cousins. And as it happens they're all quite young ladies; though not one is a jiver. I wonder if that's accidental or whether women are generally more into researching their genealogy.
Quite possibly, women tend to be far more tactile and sentimental about this sort of thing.

My dad got into it about 20 years ago. He's an only child, both his parents were only children, his father died when he was quite young and his mother lost contact with his relatives and had none of her own. He'd always believed he had no family, until a daughter of his father's uncle side managed to track him down after her father died in testate (no will). He was really shocked, and so happy to find he had this whole family (albeit a small one) that he'd never known about, so decided he wanted to find out more. He's really dedicated now, and we've discovered family all over the world!

Lory
9th-November-2005, 11:14 PM
My parents have recently had both sides of the family tree done.

They were recommended to a woman called Christine Wilshaw, who they would also recommend (if you PM me, I'll give you her details) She's based in Yorkshire but that didn't seem to be a problem. ;)

She charges between £200-300, depending on how much work she has to do but she's very careful to make sure your happy for her to continue at all times. :) Apparently its much dearer in London.:rolleyes:

She keeps in touch and gives regular updates.

Finally, you end up with a beautifully presented book, (which can include photo's if you have any) With a lovely family tree.:waycool:

My mothers family was traced back to 1705, when my 'Great x 8 grandfather', Valentine Wiles was born, he had 8 children!:what: (so I bet i'm related to quite a few of you:wink: )

TiggsTours
11th-November-2005, 11:41 AM
My parents have recently had both sides of the family tree done.

They were recommended to a woman called Christine Wilshaw, who they would also recommend (if you PM me, I'll give you her details) She's based in Yorkshire but that didn't seem to be a problem. ;)

She charges between £200-300, depending on how much work she has to do but she's very careful to make sure your happy for her to continue at all times. :) Apparently its much dearer in London.:rolleyes:

She keeps in touch and gives regular updates.

Finally, you end up with a beautifully presented book, (which can include photo's if you have any) With a lovely family tree.:waycool:

My mothers family was traced back to 1705, when my 'Great x 8 grandfather', Valentine Wiles was born, he had 8 children!:what: (so I bet i'm related to quite a few of you:wink: )
Hmm, sounds OK, but not as interesting as doing it yourself! My dad gets so excited when he finds something, and its fascinating for the whole family when he comes home with amazing stories! The other week he found out that one of our relatives was a pirate! How cool is that?!

But, that said, he does have days on end sitting in the national archives, finding nothing, with your family coming from Italy, you will need to be prepared to spend alot of time over there too.

Yliander
11th-November-2005, 11:38 PM

:flower:I've done a lot with the Australian side of my family tree - and am planning to more with the Scottish side of my family tree when in the UK next year.

a very easy place to start is with your own birth certificates, then your parents marriage certificate - if they got married and then their birth certificates.

These certificates list lots of interesting information - like address's occupations maiden names, parents names, wittness's names, number of siblings - from there you have a good range of information to match to census records.

also once you know an area that a section of the family lived in - you can look through the areas birth records looking for children born in the right time frame to parents of the same name

one thing to be aware of especially with English records apparently is that due to the custom of formally naming children after living family members they would often go through life using a nick name - my great great Grandmother was name Elizabeth - but the only time she she used that name was on the ships manafest when she imigrated to Australia - the rest of the time she was known as Flora - she even signed her name that way on legal documents - took much convincing and copy of ships manafest to convince my great aunt that her grandmothers name was officially Elizabeth!

drathzel
11th-November-2005, 11:46 PM

Probably not me, half my family is from god knows where, we know of some from Germany, latvia and russia! The rest of us are N.Irish:D and English

Whitebeard
12th-November-2005, 12:09 AM
Probably not me, half my family is from god knows where, we know of some from Germany, latvia and russia! The rest of us are N.Irish:D and English
You lucky you, you. That sounds absolutely fascinating and a fusion to die for. My own origins are very pedestrian by comparison and appear to originate from a community known as "Irlam O'theights", small time farmers, with no exotic infusions, and now absorbed into greater Manchester. No wonder I'm such a dull old b****r. ;-)

TiggsTours
14th-November-2005, 10:21 AM
I've done a lot with the Australian side of my family tree - and am planning to more with the Scottish side of my family tree when in the UK next year.

a very easy place to start is with your own birth certificates, then your parents marriage certificate - if they got married and then their birth certificates.

These certificates list lots of interesting information - like address's occupations maiden names, parents names, wittness's names, number of siblings - from there you have a good range of information to match to census records.

also once you know an area that a section of the family lived in - you can look through the areas birth records looking for children born in the right time frame to parents of the same name

one thing to be aware of especially with English records apparently is that due to the custom of formally naming children after living family members they would often go through life using a nick name - my great great Grandmother was name Elizabeth - but the only time she she used that name was on the ships manafest when she imigrated to Australia - the rest of the time she was known as Flora - she even signed her name that way on legal documents - took much convincing and copy of ships manafest to convince my great aunt that her grandmothers name was officially Elizabeth!
Yes, and the further back you get, the harder that gets! When you get back to before surnames were widely used, and people are listed as "John, son of John", or (if you're lucky), "John, son of John & Sarah", then it gets really fun! Oh, and of course, alot of records are kept in parish vaults, before the time that official records were held, and written in old English, or even in Latin. Then there's the fact that alot of the people who wrote the records were little more than illiterate, so the latin will also be full of mistakes! But then, you'll be researching yours in Italy, so it will almost all be in Latin.

senorita
25th-November-2005, 01:21 PM

My father has done this....I will ask him and get back to you.

Your first lesson to start is......learn Italian! :nice:

David Bailey
16th-December-2005, 11:57 AM
I've just bought the "Who do you think you are (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BD3FNA/qid=1134730504/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/026-3225380-4383657)" family tree software planner for my Dad for Christmas (sshh, don't tell anyone, it a surprise). Maybe a good idea for last-minute Chrimbo pressie?

(actually, that could be a thread in itself - "Ideas for last-minute pressies", but I think the Forum may have enough Xmas threads at the moment)

dee
16th-December-2005, 02:39 PM
I've just bought the "Who do you think you are (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BD3FNA/qid=1134730504/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/026-3225380-4383657)" family tree software planner for my Dad for Christmas (sshh, don't tell anyone, it a surprise). Maybe a good idea for last-minute Chrimbo pressie?

(actually, that could be a thread in itself - "Ideas for last-minute pressies", but I think the Forum may have enough Xmas threads at the moment)

Excellent DJ :clap: so if you not already brought for us lovely sisters you know what to get :flower:

I love David James :hug:

CJ
16th-December-2005, 06:10 PM
I've only just learned that diorrhea is heredetary. (sp?:confused: )

Apparently, it runs in your genes.:D

dee
19th-December-2005, 02:13 PM
I've only just learned that diorrhea is heredetary. (sp?:confused: )

Apparently, it runs in your genes.:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: