PDA

View Full Version : Camber froze the balls off my brass monkey

Danger Mouse
7th-November-2005, 02:25 PM
I’m not going to Camber last year for the following reasons:

1. I’ve already been on 4 jive weekends this year which is more than enough.
2. I’ve no holiday left from work. Because of the long drive down from the Midlands I need to take time off work to make it worthwhile.

3. Last Novembers Camber it was so bl@$y cold. When not dancing I spent all my time hugging the little heater in the chalet.

Anyone else remember freezing at last years November Camber?

p.s. Hopefully it will be lovely weather for all you Camberites this year

JonD
7th-November-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm with you! Lord, it was cold. We were staying in the "Outer Siberia" chalets and the girls froze walking to/from the venue. That wouldn't have been too bad if the chalets had been warm. We'd taken our own heaters but even they couldn't cope with the damp cold - and sleeping on damp mattresses was just horrific. One thing I love about weekenders is the "little family in the chalet" thing - all eating together and gossiping after getting back in the wee, wee small hours. Camber was just too cold to allow that! Yuk.

I'm not normally a wimp - I was a roughy, toughy soldier for years (it's OK, I'm almost normal now) and froze near to death on Lydd & Hythe ranges many times in my youth. Romney Marsh really is the backside of Britain! My bones are just too old to put up with freezing, damp, scruffy chalets no matter how good the dancing. Southport is so much more civilised.

No Camber or Bognor for me this year. But I am off to Nijmegen to welcome the New Year on the dance floor and then doing the "Dance and Ski" holiday in Morzine for 2 weeks from 28th Jan - I don't mind dry cold and the hotel is sure to be toasty!

stewart38
7th-November-2005, 02:47 PM
I’m not going to Camber last year for the following reasons:

1. I’ve already been on 4 jive weekends this year which is more than enough.
2. I’ve no holiday left from work. Because of the long drive down from the Midlands I need to take time off work to make it worthwhile.

3. Last Novembers Camber it was so bl@$y cold. When not dancing I spent all my time hugging the little heater in the chalet.

Anyone else remember freezing at last years November Camber?

p.s. Hopefully it will be lovely weather for all you Camberites this year

ok i assume its this year you are talking about

Forcast now is 16c so its going to be balmy

Take the odd sick day off

it wasnt freezing last year, i think the min was cira 8c and max 14c :whistle:

Danger Mouse
7th-November-2005, 02:53 PM
ok i assume its this year you are talking about

Forcast now is 16c so its going to be balmy

Take the odd sick day off

Hmmm! your right. I meant to say I'm not able to go 'this year' whata mistaka to maka :blush: :blush:

As for taking the odd day off sick. I already did that for Southport in September :whistle: :whistle:

Missy D
7th-November-2005, 02:56 PM
Me and Dee are staying off the site in a farmhouse next door so no brass monkeys for us:rofl: :rofl:

Danger Mouse
7th-November-2005, 03:07 PM
Me and Dee are staying off the site in a farmhouse next door so no brass monkeys for us:rofl: :rofl:

I bet it's got a roaring log fire, cosy warm beds with freshly laundered bed linen, dry soft sweet smelling towels, centrally heated bathroom suites with gloriously warm water on tap and a real cooked farmhouse breakfast to welcome you in the mornings (assuming they'll still cook you breakfast at 1pm Camber morning time :nice:

You lucky girls :grin: :waycool: :worthy:

CeeCee
7th-November-2005, 04:09 PM
originally posted by Danger Mouse
Last Novembers Camber it was so bl@$y cold. When not dancing I spent all my time hugging the little heater in the chalet.

I went to Camber for the first time this May so I can't compare but while you have my sympathy, I too had a miserable time at Jive Holiday Club's weekender in Hastings last March.

I had the misfortune to stay in a caravan in the snow. The bedrooms had no heaters, were simply too cold to sleep in and the one fire in the lounge could hardly cope with warming the sofas. It was suggested by the management, that I leave the gas hob and the oven on, with the door open, all the time, including while I was out!

Crikey, I love my dancing but caravans in the snow, never again.

jivecat
7th-November-2005, 04:52 PM

No way, it had to be nearer freezing than that. But I think we were unlucky to get such a cold weekend in November, hopefully this year will be better - you'll probably find that the daffodils are out.

Chef
7th-November-2005, 04:55 PM
Wow!! It sounds like you guys have been particularly unlucky. I have always been feeling pretty comfortable and warm on my trips to Camber in November. I have taken extra blankets and left the heaters on all the time and never had a problem with the chalet. The only time it was cold was walking between chalet and dance hall but that wasn't too bad because I could wrap up warm. My partner feels the cold very easily and deeply and she would put on a pair of jogging pants over her outfit for the journey. That seemed to do the trick.

It sure can get cold at Camber in the middle of November, being near the sea and everything. What is it like at Southport in mid november? Any better there? Does it benefit from gulf stream warming or something?

Hastings was very cold and I hear that the caravans heating was woefully inadequate. We booked three days before the event and ended up in a little chalet that was warm and very pleasant. Go figure. I uderstand that the event at Camber (on at the same time as Hastings) was just as cold.

Paul F
7th-November-2005, 04:56 PM
No way, it had to be nearer freezing than that. But I think we were unlucky to get such a cold weekend in November, hopefully this year will be better - you'll probably find that the daffodils are out.

Im packing my sun factor 5 just in case :nice:

4 days to go
:clap:

Lory
7th-November-2005, 05:23 PM
This is a snippet of what I wrote when I came back from last November's Camber...............

I had a great time at Camber, as alway's sharing with Chickadee is mad fun! I'm so glad we're really close because on friday night, although our challet had 2 bedrooms, (2 single beds in each) our challet was soo cold, that we made up the double sofa bed in the lounge and put ALL the duvets on it and slept clinging on to each other for warmth! :really: :really:

I think the venue suffered from the same problem on Friday too, it was FREEZING and no matter how much we danced, it still didn't warm up, so it thinned out at 3ish but in a way, I think it actually did me a favour, as I didn't burn out on the first night and managed to stay up till 6am on both the following nights! :D
So Yes, it was FREEZING!! :devil:

dee
7th-November-2005, 10:07 PM
I bet it's got a roaring log fire, cosy warm beds with freshly laundered bed linen, dry soft sweet smelling towels, centrally heated bathroom suites with gloriously warm water on tap and a real cooked farmhouse breakfast to welcome you in the mornings (assuming they'll still cook you breakfast at 1pm Camber morning time :nice:

You lucky girls :grin: :waycool: :worthy:

Not forgetting the massuers, spa bath, heated beds for when we get in, low lighting and soft music not only do we get cooked farmhouse breakfast but am i right Missy D that we also get cooked farmhouse evening meals?? :wink: and a limo to the workshops or am i pushing my luck :whistle:

And being on a farm and all i think we also get woken up by a **** every morning :rofl: sounds better than living in my own house :whistle:

Whitebeard
7th-November-2005, 11:52 PM
And being on a farm and all i think we also get woken up by a **** every morning :rofl: sounds better than living in my own house :whistle:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't do smileys, but that really did tickle me fancy.

David Bailey
8th-November-2005, 10:31 AM
sounds better than living in my own house :whistle:
I'm sure we can find a 3-wheel drive car to park right outside your house if you feel homesick? :innocent:

dee
8th-November-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm sure we can find a 3-wheel drive car to park right outside your house if you feel homesick? :innocent:

Now your talking :whistle:

stewart38
8th-November-2005, 03:16 PM
Wow!! It sounds like you guys have been particularly unlucky. I have always been feeling pretty comfortable and warm on my trips to Camber in November. I have taken extra blankets and left the heaters on all the time and never had a problem with the chalet. The only time it was cold was walking between chalet and dance hall but that wasn't too bad because I could wrap up warm.

:yeah:

Ok those who think it was freezing why are they not switching the heating on

If its that cold go complain :mad:

robd
9th-November-2005, 09:20 AM
Bought my 4 Season Sleeping Bag yesterday in readiness for Camber - protection down to -25C - after reading all the messages about how C-O-L-D it gets there. Whether I'll want to leave it and go dancing remains to be seen!

stewart38
9th-November-2005, 10:24 AM
Bought my 4 Season Sleeping Bag yesterday in readiness for Camber - protection down to -25C - after reading all the messages about how C-O-L-D it gets there. Whether I'll want to leave it and go dancing remains to be seen!

All joking aside some people find the main dance hall soooooo frezzzzzzzzziing they dance in sleeping bags

just an idea :whistle: Id take it with you when you go dancing

Lynn
9th-November-2005, 10:51 AM
Well the freezing weather has arrived, just in time for Camber! Had to scrape the ice off my car before going to work this morning!:tears:

stewart38
9th-November-2005, 11:04 AM
Well the freezing weather has arrived, just in time for Camber! Had to scrape the ice off my car before going to work this morning!:tears:

Old forcast

Here is the forcast for Rye as at 2/11/2005 for the weekender. Sunday and friday look nippy :cool:

-----------------------------------------

Fri 11 Nov Morning 8 °c 0.1 mm V Light 89 % 9 mph 1026 mb
Afternoon 9 °c 0.0 mm V Light 93 % 6 mph 1027 mb
Night 8 °c 0.0 mm V Light 94 % 5 mph 1028 mb

Sat 12 Nov Morning 13 °c 0.0 mm V Light 98 % 10 mph 1029 mb
Afternoon 13 °c 0.0 mm 78 % 11 mph 1029 mb
Night 9 °c 0.0 mm 65 % 10 mph 1028 mb

Sun 13 Nov Morning 9 °c 0.0 mm 59 % 9 mph 1024 mb
Afternoon 8 °c 0.0 mm 17 % 9 mph 1021 mb
Night 5 °c 0.0 mm 16 % 9 mph 1018 mb
--------------------------------------------

as at 9/11/2005

Friday

15°C much warmer :yeah:
7°C colder :sad:

Saturday

11°C colder :sad:
5°C much colder :sad:

Sunday

9°C warmer :yeah:
6°C warmer :yeah:

dee
9th-November-2005, 11:18 AM
Well i did the school run by foot today and what a lovely morning it is. The sun is up and everyone was friendly god only knows why i sit swearing in traffic everyday.

What that has to do with Camber i aint got a clue :rofl: but i am a "natural" blonde :flower:

Lynn
9th-November-2005, 11:43 AM
Well i did the school run by foot today and what a lovely morning it is. The sun is up and everyone was friendly god only knows why i sit swearing in traffic everyday.

What that has to do with Camber i aint got a clue :rofl: but i am a "natural" blonde :flower:What, you mean posts have to be relevant? :really:

:rofl:

jivecat
9th-November-2005, 11:55 AM
What, you mean posts have to be relevant? :really:

:rofl:

First I've heard of it. :confused: :rofl:

doc martin
9th-November-2005, 12:15 PM
Bah!! You load of soft Southern jessies. Up here, when it gets above freezing we call it summer and go running naked round the bens to try and get our natural blue colour to a pale shade of white.

mumble... grumble... bannockburn...

PS. It is currently 7C and sunny. I think I'll be of for a quick lap o' the loch.

stewart38
9th-November-2005, 12:31 PM
Bah!! You load of soft Southern jessies. Up here, when it gets above freezing we call it summer and go running naked round the bens to try and get our natural blue colour to a pale shade of white.

PS. It is currently 7C and sunny. I think I'll be of for a quick lap o' the loch.

I do find it amazing how much colder it is up there then down here in the sunny south

weather forcast today 9th November from the Daily mail gives

The record was initially topped earlier in the day when Stewart38 in the city recorded 37.9C (100.2F), meaning the hottest day since records began about 130 years ago in 1875

Whilst in Scotland midday maximum of -8°C. On this day Dr Hornsby also known as Doc Martin, was moved to add a personal note to his meteorological journal: 'Wine keg froze in study!' .

David Bailey
9th-November-2005, 12:36 PM

OK, time for the conversion chart joke - replace "Southern jessies" and "Tough Northeners" as applicable:

10°C: New Yorkers turn on the heat. Canadians plant gardens.
4°C: Californians shiver uncontrollably. Canadians sunbathe.
2°C: Italian cars won't start. Canadians drive with the windows down.
0°C: Distilled water freezes. Canadian water gets thicker.
-7°C: Floridians wear coats, gloves & wool hats. Canadians throw on a T-shirt.
-9°C: Californians begin to evacuate the state. Canadians go swimming.
-18°C: New York landlords finally turn up the heat. Canadians have the last cookout before it gets cold.
-23°C: People in Miami cease to exist. Canadians lick flagpoles.
-29°C: Californians fly away to Mexico. Canadians throw on a lightweight jacket.
-40°C: Hollywood disintegrates. Canadians rent videos.
-51°C: Mt. St. Helen's freezes. Canadian Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.
-62°C: Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic. Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.
-73°C: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Canadians pull down their earflaps.
-114°C: Ethyl alcohol freezes. Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw their kegs.
-183°C: Microbial life survives on dairy products. Canadian cows complain of farmers with cold hands.
-273°C: ALL atomic motion stops. Canadians start saying "Cold 'nuff for ya?"
-296°C: Hell freezes over. The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

LMC
9th-November-2005, 12:42 PM
OK, time for the conversion chart joke - replace "Southern jessies" and "Tough Northeners" as applicable:
< big snip >

Yeah, but on the assumption that we're going to replace Stanley cup with something more applicable, which football team would replace the Toronto Maple Leafs? :devil:

stewart38
9th-November-2005, 12:43 PM

10°C: New Yorkers turn on the heat. Canadians plant gardens.
4°C: Californians shiver uncontrollably. Canadians sunbathe.
2°C: Italian cars won't start. Canadians drive with the windows down.
0°C: Distilled water freezes. Canadian water gets thicker.
-7°C: Floridians wear coats, gloves & wool hats. Canadians throw on a T-shirt.
-9°C: Californians begin to evacuate the state. Canadians go swimming.
-18°C: New York landlords finally turn up the heat. Canadians have the last cookout before it gets cold.
-23°C: People in Miami cease to exist. Canadians lick flagpoles.
-29°C: Californians fly away to Mexico. Canadians throw on a lightweight jacket.
-40°C: Hollywood disintegrates. Canadians rent videos.
-51°C: Mt. St. Helen's freezes. Canadian Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.
-62°C: Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic. Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.
-73°C: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Canadians pull down their earflaps.
-114°C: Ethyl alcohol freezes. Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw their kegs.
-183°C: Microbial life survives on dairy products. Canadian cows complain of farmers with cold hands.
-273°C: ALL atomic motion stops. Canadians start saying "Cold 'nuff for ya?"

Im sorry to be pedantic but i disagree on two points

I think Ethyl alcohol would be a well hard lolly by -114C

Below -273.15c mmmmmmmmmm

doc martin
9th-November-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but on the assumption that we're going to replace Stanley cup with something more applicable, which football team would replace the Toronto Maple Leafs? :devil:
Raith Rovers. I have no fear of retribution as, aside from my next door neighbours, they have no supporters and soon won't even have a ground.

Below -273.15c mmmmmmmmmm
Well as hell is probably not in this universe (although South London is a reasonable approximation in many ways), you can hardly expect our physical laws to apply there.:devil:

stewart38
9th-November-2005, 03:53 PM
Well as hell is probably not in this universe (although South London is a reasonable approximation in many ways), you can hardly expect our physical laws to apply there.:devil:

Ive changed my mind

Ive been out and its bloody cold

I am a southern jessie. i will take an extra jumper and covers

Night Owl
9th-November-2005, 09:03 PM
and any way it is cold enough here tonight" to freeze the balls on a brass monkey"
another commonly misquoted expression

brass monkey being the stack of balls supplying the old cannons

Zebra Woman
10th-November-2005, 03:06 PM
TOP-TIP For keeping warm at night at Camber in the budget chalets.

Leave the heaters on low and/or use a programmable electric blanket....

BUT Remember to make sure you have enough tokens in the meter before you go out, and keep some spares in hand.

Miss Conduct walked back from the blues room at 6AM so smug last November.....we were looking forward to our hot chocolates, warm chalet and I was looking forward to a pre-warmed bed. :drool:

Disaster! The tokens had run out (and we hadn't got any spare with us) . We had no lights :eek: , no hot water :sick: , no hot chocolate :sad: , and ICE COLD beds. :tears: :tears:

Amazingly our electricity still cost £16 in tokens over the weekend, despite that (self inflicted) 10 hour power cut! :angry:

ZW

under par
10th-November-2005, 03:16 PM
[U]TOP-et....

[SIZE="1"]
Amazingly our electricity still cost £16 in tokens over the weekend, despite that (self inflicted) 10 hour power cut! :angry:

ZW

Electric hair straighteners!!:flower:

Zebra Woman
10th-November-2005, 03:18 PM
Electric hair straighteners!!:flower:

???

For what?

Gojive
10th-November-2005, 03:42 PM
BUT Remember to make sure you have enough tokens in the meter before you go out, and keep some spares in hand.

:yeah: :yeah:

If I remember correctly, you can now get any excess tokens you have, refunded at the end of the weekend. Best check with reception though of course :)

Missy D
10th-November-2005, 05:00 PM
*unpacks nightie as it will be too warm in the farmhouse* :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stewart38
10th-November-2005, 05:13 PM
[Amazingly our electricity still cost £16 in tokens over the weekend, despite that (self inflicted) 10 hour power cut![/SIZE] :angry:

ZW

Never spent more then £6 with heaters on most of the time

Maybe smaller accomedation or I dont use Hair dryer :sad:

Gojive
10th-November-2005, 05:22 PM
Never spent more then £6 with heaters on most of the time

Maybe smaller accomedation or I dont use Hair dryer :sad:

Or less things that go "BUZZZZZ"?......errr, like alram clocks, massagers, etc :wink:

stewart38
10th-November-2005, 05:26 PM
has anyone mentioned the seagulls this time around ??

the woodlice ants etc

some may have gone home for the winter ?

Zebra Woman
10th-November-2005, 05:28 PM
Or less things that go "BUZZZZZ"?......errr, like alram clocks, massagers, etc :wink:

They were battery powered. :wink:

I think we had a duff meter and I did complain at the end.

stewart38
10th-November-2005, 05:32 PM
They were battery powered. :wink:

I think we had a duff meter and I did complain at the end.

on two seperate occassions Ive had a metre that was stuck so didnt use any electricty cards , cant remember if that was Southport or Camber

they will always refund ones you dont use so maybe best to buy more then you need anyway

Gojive
10th-November-2005, 05:35 PM

some may have gone home for the winter ?

Oh those sodding, noisy, greedy, selfish great flying sh*t machines! :angry: Actually, the one good thing about the poor car parking availability on site, is that if you can't get a space there, you don't find your car nicely insulated with a 3inch covering of white and black cement, nicely embroidered with rock hard berries on Monday morning! :sick:

dee
10th-November-2005, 08:40 PM
?

Packs bread to put on top of cars :waycool:

Have you seen the size of those things close up?? one poo and you will be covered

dee
10th-November-2005, 08:41 PM
*unpacks nightie as it will be too warm in the farmhouse* :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

so do i not need my baby doll :confused:

Gojive
10th-November-2005, 08:43 PM
Packs bread to put on top of cars :waycool:

Most people use a roof rack :)

Still, I suppose you used your loaf....:na:

Lory
10th-November-2005, 09:24 PM
A plea, on behalf of a tall, DARK, handsome and HOT, male forumite.............

This very desirable hot water bottle.. oops. I mean man :D is looking for a bed to keep warm at Camber.. he has a ticket but no accommodation as yet... all together now... ahhhhhhhhhhh:tears: :tears:

So ladies, if your worried about the cold :sick: and would like a man about the house, to tend to your every whim:wink: (his words, not mine) then PM me for more information!

And i'll put you in touch, he's unable to get on his PC tonight but is on his mobile! :)

Danger Mouse
11th-November-2005, 08:54 AM
I want to go to Camber but I can't. Boo Hoo :tears: :tears:

I don't care about the cold. Boo Hoo :tears:

I don't care about Seagulls pooping all over my car. Boo Hoo :tears:

I don’t care about the woodlice or ants Boo Hoo :tears:

Or the mice that ate all my pasta last time. :angry: Boo Hoo :tears:

oh well!

As compensation I’ve arranged a double header of freestyles over this Camber :tears: Weekend :tears:

Kettering Friday (Tonight ) & Nantwich Saturday.

dee
11th-November-2005, 03:17 PM
This very desirable hot water bottle.. oops. I mean man :D is looking for a bed to keep warm at Camber.. he has a ticket but no accommodation as yet... all together now... ahhhhhhhhhhh:tears: :tears:

Am i right in thinking that accommodation comes with the ticket?? i thought it was only Bognor that you could get a day pass??? :confused:

David Bailey
11th-November-2005, 03:41 PM
Am i right in thinking that accommodation comes with the ticket?? i thought it was only Bognor that you could get a day pass??? :confused:
That was also my understanding - I asked for a day pass specifically and was told they weren't done at Camber (although apparently they are at Bognor).

(Obviously, I was hoping to scrounge a place at the DeeSuperFarmhouse accommodation... )

dee
11th-November-2005, 04:49 PM
(Obviously, I was hoping to scrounge a place at the DeeSuperFarmhouse accommodation... )

We will have to see if my chat up line works first eh? :wink:

DavidY
13th-November-2005, 11:51 AM
As compensation I’ve arranged a double header of freestyles over this Camber :tears: Weekend :tears:

Kettering Friday (Tonight ) & Nantwich Saturday.I didn't go to Kettering, but really enjoyed myself at Nantwich last night. :clap:
Were you there DM?

David Bailey
13th-November-2005, 09:00 PM
We will have to see if my chat up line works first eh? :wink:
It didn't. :whistle: