PDA

View Full Version : Custom 'avatars'

trout
23rd-January-2003, 04:27 PM
I notice that some folk have custom 'avatars'. How do you upload your own images? There appears to be no means of doing this.

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-January-2003, 05:32 PM
eezy peezy

select USER CP button at top of screen

select EDIT OPTIONS at top of new screen

scroll down to very bottom of new screen and click
on CHANGE AVATAR button

scroll down to very bottom of new screen and click on BROWSE button to select an image from your hard drive - or just above that you can type a URL to a web site that already contains the image.

trout
23rd-January-2003, 07:29 PM
This is where I have looked for said functionality - there is no BROWSE button...

:cheers:

jiveoholic
24th-January-2003, 08:44 AM
When I researched this phenomena, it appears that one has to be very verbose in this forum and create 100 messages before said privelage is enabled!

Dreadful Scathe
24th-January-2003, 09:50 AM
Hmm that certainly wan't the case when the forum started - you could change your avatar after no posts at all .

Franck - what settings have you changed ??

trout
24th-January-2003, 10:46 AM
You can certainly change it but apparently not to a custom one.

Franck, we're awaiting enlightenment! :grin:

Franck
24th-January-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Hmm that certainly wan't the case when the forum started - you could change your avatar after no posts at all .

Franck - what settings have you changed ?? Ok guys, I have checked the settings and it was 100 posts before you can upload your own custom avatar.
It is quite possible that initially there was no minimum.

After giving this some thought, I have decided to keep a minimum number of posts before you can upload your own avatar, but lowered the minimum number to 20.
This seems a more realistic number, but means you have to take part in the Forum in an active way first. So Trout, only 14 to go! :nice:

Franck.

PeterL
24th-January-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Franck
but means you have to take part in the Forum in an active way first.

As long as it doesn't have to be as active as TheTramp:)

Dreadful Scathe
24th-January-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
As long as it doesn't have to be as active as TheTramp:)

1000 messages and you can upload Vem Vet to play alongside your animated avatar. Makes it easier for people to notice your messages. :D

Franck
24th-January-2003, 12:37 PM
As long as it doesn't have to be as active as TheTramp:) No :D definitely not as active as that :really:

Many people just read the forum as guests (and incidently, miss out on many fascinating posts in the Intermediate and the DJ sections - not to mention the 'interesting' pictures in the 'Outside' area :wink: ). Some people register and then continue reading, feeling (wrongly) they have little to contribute; and at the other end of the spectrum, we have the 'prolific posters, with the Tramp in the lead...
Any forum is only as good as the people who contribute to it, by providing a fun / relaxed atmosphere, combined with the odd informative gem :nice:
So if you are reading this and have not posted yet, then give it a go, reply to an existing thread, or start your own! :cheers: I promise we won't bite.

Franck.

PeterL
24th-January-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Franck
So if you are reading this and have not posted yet, then give it a go, reply to an existing thread, or start your own! :cheers: I promise we won't bite.

Franck.

I know from conversations with some people that they feel that the forum can come across as a bit of a
"mutual admiration society"
this is obviously not the intention of the posters as the forum like ceroc should be accessible and non-intimidating.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to dispell this opinion?

trout
24th-January-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Franck. I thought there was something fishy going on. Thanks for solving the mystery

:grin:

Holly
24th-January-2003, 01:08 PM
I know from conversations with some people that they feel that the forum can come across as a bit of a
this is obviously not the intention of the posters as the forum like ceroc should be accessible and non-intimidating.

I've heard that said about the forum as well...

We could just slag each other off all the time - would that help?

Holly

PeterL
24th-January-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Holly
I've heard that said about the forum as well...

We could just slag each other off all the time - would that help?

Holly Sorry Holly I am actually looking for a serious suggestions here.
I personally like browsing the forum and replying to the odd thing.
Even occasionally trying to start the odd thread. I have found out a few things I didn't know about dancing.
However the forum often discusses and ceroc does all it can to attract new members and keep begginers coming. see threads like what about the students.

It would be a shame if the forum comes accross as intimidating to new dancers, I do notice that very few new to ceroc people post on the forum.

should it be an area to advertise ceroc as well as be an area for cerocers to enjoy and discuss areas of interest.

Dreadful Scathe
24th-January-2003, 01:21 PM

Theres only a few people I actively like - the rest Im indifferent about :). There has been a few occasions of severe luviness but generally in a jokey way - you tend to find that people really are like they type - you cant hide your personality when you say anything from the heart..unless you're the official devils advocate and are trying to be contrary anyway ;). I dont think anyone has said anything on this forum they wouldnt have said in real life - theyve just said it to more people at the same time :). What would be a simple 'you're a great dancer' statement as a one off to someone in real life becomes a whole list of people on the forum complimenting each other - yeah it may make you sick but its a different scenario - a lifetime of compliments in one easy to throw up over screen full of text and avatars.

Im much quieter than this in real life but Im really a very nice person. probably.

boo

Sal
24th-January-2003, 01:28 PM
I do notice that very few new to ceroc people post on the forum. I think that is purely down to advertising, or not as the case may be. I know that I did not find out about the forum until someone at a party asked me if I was on it. The person was from south of the border as well which demonstrates how bad we are at making it known!

For the record, I don't think that complimenting people on the forum is a bad thing. If you are having a bad day at work, it can be exactly what you need!

PeterL
24th-January-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Sal
For the record, I don't think that complimenting people on the forum is a bad thing. If you are having a bad day at work, it can be exactly what you need! Sal
I am not against people complimenting each other either. I seem to remember complimenting you in the aberdeen party thread.
However I say it as I see it. A lot of people do see the forum in this way. I like the forum and would like it to be used by as many people as possible. For example the begginers corner would be a great place for someone in there first few months to get technical advice from experienced dancers. However if you look closely this area of the forum is probably the least used.

I am not trying to offend anyone, I post to the forum and do not want it to be seen as some sort of exclusive club which is a perception that can easily be generated by people posting with the best intentions. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how we could make sure that people feel free to use the forum, no matter what there dance experience/ technical ability etc is (this is the aim of ceroc after all).

SwingSwingSwing
24th-January-2003, 02:07 PM

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how we could make sure that people feel free to use the forum, no matter what there dance experience/ technical ability etc is (this is the aim of ceroc after all).

I've seen a couple of ways to encourage new members to post on other boards.

1. Have a "Introduce Yourself here" thread, where people are encouraged to say hello.

2. Have a "Hello" thread, where people (usually forum leader type people) say hello to new members.

But if people don't want to post, you can't force them!

SwingSwingSwing

TheTramp
24th-January-2003, 02:41 PM
'prolific posters, with the Tramp in the lead...Who? Me? Look, this thread was up to it's 17th post, before I even put a post in it. And you call me prolific?!?

As for introducing new members, I think that a 'hello, I'm new here' area is a great idea. From previous experience, I know that it can be a little difficult to 'break into' a new thing. But once you've posted a couple of times, and no-one has bitten your head off, then it should be easier.

Regarding the 'love in'. Having been on several forums/boards/etc. in the past, where the members have generally spent most of their time flaming and slagging each other off, I know which type I prefer.

Steve

Sal
24th-January-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Look, this thread was up to it's 17th post, before I even put a post in it. And you call me prolific?!?

Steve

That's cos you are on holiday! :wink:

TheTramp
24th-January-2003, 09:34 PM
That's cos you are on holiday!Yes Sal, and next week, I go back to work for a rest....!! :rolleyes:

Steve

Tweetie
6th-February-2003, 07:30 PM
i don't have enough posts to change my avatar and its not even christmas :(

TheTramp
6th-February-2003, 07:32 PM
Guess that you'll just have to post more then Fi :na:

Steve

Divissima
6th-May-2003, 10:38 PM
:kiss: ooooh! Thank you, Franck!! Thank you :waycool:

I was originally going to have a similar lomo avatar but of me in my t-shirt with 'Divissima' emblazoned across the chest in blue sparklies, however the photos didn't turn out so well - maybe it was the hand-quake, and maybe it was the angle, but I didn't manage to get more than half the letters in - somewhat embarrassing for a lady not over-endowed in the region of her embonpoint! Not to mention the dodgy angle which left me with rather more chins than I would normally like! :wink:

Unregistered
6th-May-2003, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the not so Dreadful Scathe
people really are like they type - you cant hide your personality when you say anything from the heart..

mmmm .... so this means I'm cheeky in real life .... :what: and there was me thinking I was witty and intelligent !!!

Im much quieter than this in real life

eh. :what: .... with the noise those bells make !!
(I have a reputation to keep you know :D )

.. but Im really a very nice person. probably.

Definitely

TT.

Twinkle Toes
6th-May-2003, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Twinkle Toes

:confused: Not sure what happened above. Me thinks there's gremlins about ... else Frank has just de-robed me ... and pinched me avatars. Probably for being cheeky :rolleyes:

So here's what the not so Dreadful Scathe was supposed to get.

TT :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-May-2003, 03:55 PM
aha a minature woman, just what Ive always wanted :)

Twinkle Toes
7th-May-2003, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
aha a minature woman, just what Ive always wanted :)

Yes, so I heard ..... small women, but with big personalities.

:innocent: :wink:

TT

Funky Si
17th-June-2005, 02:19 PM
ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

HELP! I accidentally deleted my avatar and no I can't find the option to upload it again- and yes, I have tried the instructions earlier on in this thread.....

I FEEL NAKED- HELP PLEASE!! :eek:

Thanks!

Funky Si

Gadget
17th-June-2005, 04:07 PM
User Control Panel: left hand bar is an item that says "Edit Avatar" (5th down).
It's fairly self-explanatory from there.

Funky Si
17th-June-2005, 05:16 PM
User Control Panel: left hand bar is an item that says "Edit Avatar" (5th down).
It's fairly self-explanatory from there.

I have no custom option on my cp.... I can either choose a supplied avatar or nothing! I no lie!

I shall try and attach a screen capture of my CP so you can have a look...

Minnie M
17th-June-2005, 06:03 PM
I have no custom option on my cp.... I can either choose a supplied avatar or nothing! I no lie!

I think you have to pay for membership to get the extras such as the custom avatar - other features too, well worth paying IMO :yeah:

Funky Si
17th-June-2005, 06:12 PM
I didn't have to pay before???

It also says in the FAQs that I can do this- blimey, I did it when I first joined!! HELP!!

Funky (no piccy) Si :sick:

DavidY
17th-June-2005, 10:04 PM
When Silver membership was introduced a year ago (more details here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66195#post66195)) it looks like the rule was that existing members with custom avatars (like Funky Si) could keep them, but you needed Silver membership to add a new custom avatar if you didn't already have one.

Personally I don't recognise Funky Si any more without his avatar. :(