PDA

View Full Version : We don't always see what we think we see

Lory
4th-November-2005, 03:56 PM
If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, you will only see one color, pink.
If you stare at the black + in the center, the moving dot turns to green.
Now, concentrate on the black + in the center of the picture. After a short period of time,
all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see a green dot rotating if you're lucky!
It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot, and the pink ones really don't disappear.
This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.

I couldn't see the last part until ! stared for a while, with my face quite close to the screen

CLICK THE PIC

Msfab
4th-November-2005, 04:33 PM
Ok How about this? Can you spot the difference?
Sound would be an advantage!

http://members.home.nl/saen/Special/Zoeken.swf

El Salsero Gringo
4th-November-2005, 04:37 PM
That's really unpleasant.

Don't stare too hard at the picture: it gets replaced by a really horrid image after about 30 seconds, accompanied by an ugly noise (hence the 'request' for sound.)

Msfab
4th-November-2005, 04:42 PM
That's really unpleasant.

Don't stare too hard at the picture: it gets replaced by a really horrid image after about 30 seconds, accompanied by an ugly noise (hence the 'request' for sound.)

well thats gone and spolit the surprise!

El Salsero Gringo
4th-November-2005, 04:43 PM
well thats gone and spolit the surprise!And a bloody good job too. Like I said, it's most unpleasant, and not something I would subject my friends to, just for a laugh at their expense.

ChrisA
4th-November-2005, 04:44 PM

For those that have survived the above, this is among my favourite optical illusions ever. You'll have to click on it so that it displays at a decent size.

Msfab
4th-November-2005, 04:47 PM
And a bloody good job too. Like I said, it's most unpleasant, and not something I would subject my friends too, just for a laugh at their expense.

Sorry i had no idea you were so fragile!

Please accept my apologises

wicked blue
4th-November-2005, 04:48 PM

Thanks for that - That was great! :eek: Just what i needed on a friday afternoon! :what:

El Salsero Gringo
4th-November-2005, 04:49 PM

Please accept my apologisesPerhaps you weren't staring at the screen quite as close, or as intently as I was.

Blues Dancer
4th-November-2005, 04:50 PM

Please accept my apologises

Man. That was so scary, I actually died*

*I got better! :whistle:

ChrisA
4th-November-2005, 04:54 PM
Perhaps you weren't staring at the screen quite as close, or as intently as I was.
Look on the bright side... you're still here so you know there's nothing wrong with your heart :D

My brother sent me something very similar on Halloween. It was quite a lot scarier than that, and I had a full cup of coffee in my hand at the time.

In fact, I know just what I'm gonna do with that link.... :devil:

LMC
4th-November-2005, 05:04 PM
This one isn't quite as bad as ChrisA's :sick: - but if you're a geek like there's an interesting explanation of the 'effect' (scroll down a bit)

http://dogfeathers.com/java/spirals.html

Works on some people better than others - try looking at your hand as the 'something else' :eek:

Msfab
4th-November-2005, 05:07 PM
Look on the bright side... you're still here so you know there's nothing wrong with your heart :D

So true!

drathzel
4th-November-2005, 05:10 PM
OH MY GOD! that actually scared me, i screamed and all, i think i might have given myself whip lash! Thanks MsFab!:tears:

Msfab
4th-November-2005, 05:19 PM
OH MY GOD! that actually scared me, i screamed and all, i think i might have given myself whip lash! Thanks MsFab!:tears:

this link was sent to me by just wiggle! and she too jumped out of her seat in a quiet office. lets say her language wasnt lady like!:rofl:

Aleks
4th-November-2005, 10:05 PM

I stupidly opened the link before reading ESG's post underneath....thank you :flower:. Can we please have warnings in the same post, rather than below?I screamed so much that azande jumped out his seat on the other side of the room....fragile soul that I am.

dee
7th-November-2005, 05:24 PM

My comp says i need to know where its come from before i can look at it??? whats all that about??? i wanted to see what upset the donkey so much :flower:

dee
7th-November-2005, 06:31 PM

F**K!!!!! That was soooooo scary think i just had my heart re started. Pant pant pant..... talking of pants i think i s**t

Msfab
7th-November-2005, 06:33 PM
F**K!!!!! That was soooooo scary think i just had my heart re started. Pant pant pant..... talking of pants i think i s**t

Not you as well Dee. The next time I do this again I will give all plenty of warning and might even supply nappies!

dee
7th-November-2005, 06:38 PM
Not you as well Dee. The next time I do this again I will give all plenty of warning and might even supply nappies!

Well looking at your profile and seeing your occupation guess it says it all :eek:

cheeks
8th-November-2005, 01:23 PM
If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, you will only see one color, pink.
If you stare at the black + in the center, the moving dot turns to green.
Now, concentrate on the black + in the center of the picture. After a short period of time,
all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see a green dot rotating if you're lucky!
It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot, and the pink ones really don't disappear.
This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.

I couldn't see the last part until ! stared for a while, with my face quite close to the screen

[/B]

mm.... brain working not sure:confused: focused on the + and pink dots didn't disappear all I saw was a same size circle of green dots over lapping and moving from left to right of circle :blush:

cheeks
8th-November-2005, 01:30 PM

:rofl: :rofl: loved it and hears me that normally hides behind the cushions at scary films:blush: