PDA

View Full Version : Misleading/confusing Signals

Minnie M
4th-November-2005, 01:56 AM
Whilst in Scotland this weekend and was dancing with a very nice young man he tapped (well I thought he did) his right shoulder with his right hand - this is to me the signal for a first move jump. Hmmm... I thought, not sure if I should do this, so ignored the signal so I would not need to do it - just as well, as it turned out he was having a little scratch :rolleyes:

Noticed another signal (also in Scotland) - right to right hold, and then the lead places the left hand on top of both our hands - to me this is a signal for a drop kick ............... luckily I didn't turn automatically I waited for him to lead me into it ....... :rolleyes: not sure why he did that as it certainly was NOT a signal (lucky fella I didn't turn and place nearly all my weight in his arms :whistle:

under par
4th-November-2005, 02:02 AM
Whilst in Scotland this weekend and was dancing with a very nice young man he tapped (well I thought he did) his right shoulder with his right hand - this is to me the signal for a first move jump. Hmmm... I thought, not sure if I should do this, so ignored the signal so I would not need to do it - just as well, as it turned out he was having a little scratch :rolleyes:

Noticed another signal (also in Scotland) - right to right hold, and then the lead places the left hand on top of both our hands - to me this is a signal for a drop kick ............... luckily I didn't turn automatically I waited for him to lead me into it ....... :rolleyes: not sure why he did that as it certainly was NOT a signal (lucky fella I didn't turn and place nearly all my weight in his arms :whistle:

Followers only accept signals you recognise from a dancer you dance with regularly it saves all the damaged ligaments and broken bones.:sad:

Minnie M
4th-November-2005, 02:09 AM
Followers only accept signals you recognise from a dancer you dance with regularly it saves all the damaged ligaments and broken bones.:sad:
I find that experienced dancers very rarely give actual signals, and depending where they have been taught and by who, there are still some very obvious signals, personally I thought they were very useful when I was learning. Graham LeClerc (my mentor) used many

In some classes leads have been told the tell the follower in advance what they are doing :sick: really don't like that :sad: find it almost an insult, if they can't lead it, then it is their problem not the followers :innocent:

TiggsTours
4th-November-2005, 12:01 PM
I find that experienced dancers very rarely give actual signals, and depending where they have been taught and by who, there are still some very obvious signals, personally I thought they were very useful when I was learning. Graham LeClerc (my mentor) used many

In some classes leads have been told the tell the follower in advance what they are doing :sick: really don't like that :sad: find it almost an insult, if they can't lead it, then it is their problem not the followers :innocent:
I learnt with Graham too, and I think he is an absolutely superb teacher, but I have to say that I hate signals, I don't think they should be used at all, if a guys leading properly, there's absolutely no need for them whatsoever, and I think they look ugly. The only exception to this is the one you mentioned, for the drop kick, which I think should be adopted by everyone. This is such a difficult move for the girl to follow, and so dangerous if you get it wrong. There are just so many alternative moves which are led in exactly the same way, we have our backs to the guy, we're not mind readers, every single time any guy does this move, or an alternative move with the same lead in, I'm left thinking "does he want me to drop, doesn't he?" I always choose not to, and often it is obvious the guy wanted me to. There are very few guys who are capable of leading this clearly enough for the girl to know either way, and if we get it wrong, we're the ones that risk getting hurt. If this was always signaled, no more confusion, no more accidents.

wicked blue
4th-November-2005, 02:03 PM

I have to agree with you on that one Minnie, :nice: but also whilst some signals are needed, it often has a detrimental effect as you can't label every move with a signal! It can also end up meaning that the woman anticipates too much, rather than just going with the flow, then if on the occasion the guy is actually doing a slightly different move you can end up in a right pickle!! :eek:
I think the whole idea of a woman closing her eyes sometimes and just feeling the lead is a fantastic idea. Proves perhaps signals aren't so fundamental on the social dance floor?

MartinHarper
4th-November-2005, 03:14 PM
I think the whole idea of a woman closing her eyes sometimes and just feeling the lead is a fantastic idea. Proves perhaps signals aren't so fundamental on the social dance floor?

There exist visual leads, and tactile signals.
I don't know of anyone who believes that signals are fundamental.

LMC
4th-November-2005, 03:21 PM
I think the whole idea of a woman closing her eyes sometimes and just feeling the lead is a fantastic idea.
If you have space on the floor and a partner you trust, highly recommended as a way of 'testing' yours and your partner's connection and lead/follow skills (as appropriate). And if the lead is clear, it feels fantastic too :drool:

A well-known forumite was hauling me through a tango track recently - and having never done any AT, I found following a lot easier with my eyes closed - truly feeling the lead rather than trying to second guess visual clues.