PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Problems

jivecat
2nd-November-2005, 11:18 AM
I've noticed that whenever I go into Outlook express at the moment my dial-up connection breaks immediately. However, Internet Explorer works fine. This happened before, a few months ago, and it cured itself just fine without the tiresome need for intervention on my part.
Anyone know the cause of this problem?

WittyBird
2nd-November-2005, 01:54 PM
Check the connection settings for both Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Internet Explorer: Tools, Internet Options, Connections. Ensure that the correct ISP account is the default. If you prefer to control the connection manually, change the setting to "Never dial a connection".

Outlook Express: Tools, Options. On the general tab check the settings under "Send/Receive Messages", specifically "If my computer is not connected at this time:"
On the "Connection" tab, ensure that "Ask before switching dial up connections" is enabled. Option is yours about whether to enable "Hang up after sending and receiving".

Check the settings in Accounts as well, Tools, Accounts. Choose the account that you are collecting email from and click Properties. Click on the tab "Connection". If you are broadband or want to control the internet connection manually then deselect "Always connect to this account using:" so the option is greyed out.

philsmove
2nd-November-2005, 03:39 PM
I used to have no end of problems with express

If possible look at upgrading to Outlook 2003

azande
2nd-November-2005, 03:45 PM
... or Thunderbird. (www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/)

jivecat
8th-November-2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks all. I've tried doing what Wittybird suggested and I'm afraid it hasn't made any difference. I'm guessing it's something to do with the Outlook Express program itself, rather than the modem or the ISP?
I've looked at the Mozilla site and it sound interesting. If I download the free trial software will i be able to go back to OE if I don't like it? And how much will it cost to upgrade to the permanent version? And is it worth it if I go onto broadband soon i.e. would I still view my emails through the same browser? How come I don't know all this stuff about computers? So many imponderables...

azande
8th-November-2005, 10:09 AM
Thunderbird is free. you don't have to pay anything to use it.

You can switch to any email client any time you want, you just need to poay attention to what kind of email protocol you use (POP or IMAP), if you are a "keeper" you might need to import mailboxes to the new client if you use POP.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-November-2005, 10:24 AM
I have never used Outlook Express its always been one of the worst email programs Ive tried. I used to use the graphically ugly Pegasus Mail which was good for a LAN. Opera is a very good browser, completely free with no adverts and it comes with an inbuilt email program. I like the idea of a seperate email program though so use Thunderbird, which is extremely easy to setup.

jivecat
8th-November-2005, 10:41 AM
I have never used Outlook Express its always been one of the worst email programs Ive tried. I used to use the graphically ugly Pegasus Mail which was good for a LAN. Opera is a very good browser, completely free with no adverts and it comes with an inbuilt email program. I like the idea of a seperate email program though so use Thunderbird, which is extremely easy to setup.

OK, so (words of one syllable here...) OE is an email programme and I could substitute another email programme e.g.Thunderbird for it by downloading it off the web and following the simple instructions? So then, when I want to pick up my emails I click on Thunderbird instead of OE? Would I need to uninstall OE? What's the difference between a browser and an email programme, I thought they were the same thing? How did you guys learn this stuff anyhow!? Why wasn't I born with this knowledge?

azande
8th-November-2005, 10:56 AM
OK, so (words of one syllable here...) OE is an email programme and I could substitute another email programme e.g.Thunderbird for it by downloading it off the web and following the simple instructions?
Yes

So then, when I want to pick up my emails I click on Thunderbird instead of OE?
Yes

Would I need to uninstall OE?
I would keep OE on your computer for a bit, just in case you don't like Thunderbird.

What's the difference between a browser and an email programme, I thought they were the same thing?
A browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera) is what you use to visit websites (like the forum).

jivecat
8th-November-2005, 11:10 AM
You're down to my level at last, Azande! :grin: I think I'm beginning to get the idea!

So, just for the hell of it, could I also download Firefox instead of Internet Explorer??

Are they free? If so, why? What's the catch?

azande
8th-November-2005, 11:39 AM
I would suggest to anyone to download Firefox and ditch Explorer in the recycle bin.

They are free and there is no catch, they are part of the open source movement. Have a look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software) to have an idea about open source.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-November-2005, 01:36 PM
You're down to my level at last, Azande! :grin: I think I'm beginning to get the idea!

So, just for the hell of it, could I also download Firefox instead of Internet Explorer??

Are they free? If so, why? What's the catch?

Theres no catch. IE is free too of course. Firefox is generally thought of as better but they both do the same job; enable you to view web pages.

Also, you can try and remove IE and Outlook Express but it wont work - Windows will copy them back - in fact as a little experiment go into the Outlook Express folder in c:\Program Files and delete everything in there - wait a few secionds and watch it reappear ;)

jivecat
9th-November-2005, 11:45 AM
Wow, that was easy. Just run the Thunderbird program. Like magic, really. Remains to be seen if it solves the problem.
How do I get the little icon thingy to appear on my desktop menu?
I'm off now to download Firefox.

azande
9th-November-2005, 11:49 AM
Right-click on the program Icon, in the menu you open go to Send to and choose Desktop (create shortcut).

jivecat
9th-November-2005, 12:31 PM
Oh dear, now it won't send my email. Something about not connecting to SMTP server?:confused: It says to check the settings. What settings? Where? How do I know what they should be?

azande
9th-November-2005, 12:40 PM
Start here (http://opensourcearticles.com/introduction_to_thunderbird), after the installation instruction you should find what you need.

El Salsero Gringo
9th-November-2005, 12:43 PM
Just to add a comment: there are a few things that as far as I know you still need to use Internet Explorer for (on XP), like to access Windows Update - is that correct? Or can you get Firefox to run all the client-side guff that Microsoft insist you run through?