PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle change

stewart38
1st-November-2005, 03:53 PM
Has anyone on this forum or does anyone know anyone who has undergone a complete life style change which is likely to include what they wear and eat but may include job/location etc ? . Was there any factor that kicked it of and did they stick to it ?

My mate realised he wears blue nearly all the time and shouldnt keep picking up crisps and winegums on the way home from work ? he stays up far too late ,gets up early and goes out far too much and never gives time for himself

He doesnt want to diet and he knows he isnt going to spend 3hrs preparing healthy food every night

He doesnt really know any colour but blue so how is he to change that ? He feels he doesnt look good in any other colour

He could stop eating crips dance more loose weight but it will all go back on unless there is a fundemental change in his eating/sleeping/ spending/doing pattern (which inludes lots of meals out curries etc)

He has had two 'warning shots' and knew his dad had a stroke only 2yrs older then his present age

does he carry on until he gets another 'warning shot '?? :blush:

KatieR
1st-November-2005, 04:07 PM
Has anyone on this forum or does anyone know anyone who has undergone a complete life style change which is likely to include what they wear and eat but may include job/location etc ? . Was there any factor that kicked it of and did they stick to it ?

My mate realised he wears blue nearly all the time and shouldnt keep picking up crisps and winegums on the way home from work ? he stays up far too late ,gets up early and goes out far too much and never gives time for himself

He doesnt want to diet and he knows he isnt going to spend 3hrs preparing healthy food every night

He doesnt really know any colour but blue so how is he to change that ? He feels he doesnt look good in any other colour

He could stop eating crips dance more loose weight but it will all go back on unless there is a fundemental change in his eating/sleeping/ spending/doing pattern (which inludes lots of meals out curries etc)

He has had two 'warning shots' and knew his dad had a stroke only 2yrs older then his present age

Sounds pretty straight forward to me... it sounds like he doesn't really want to change.

I have undergone a few lifestyle changes. My most significant being moving to another country and completely changing my career path (although it has moved back but just in a different direction).

I managed to lose over 3 stone in weight without really dieting, I just changed my meal times around and did a stack more exercise. I think it has a lot to do with doing something that feels uncomfortable long enough until it just becomes natural - and it does eventually.

Stepping out of ones comfort zone is not an easy thing to do and sometimes its only jump in the deep end kind of approach that will change things, otherwise it is just too easy to stay in the normal patterns that we are safe and comfortable with.

Perhaps suggest taking this friend out shopping for clothes so that he has someone with him that can stop him from buy blue clothes and perhaps suggest other things.

Stop going into the shop once a week. Then try twice a week then increase it to 3 and so on.

But in the end it comes down to the person really wanting to change and their desire for a better life.

Thats my opinion anyway.

TiggsTours
1st-November-2005, 04:11 PM

Well, if your friend has decided he wants to speak to people about this, I'd say that he obviously doesn't want to carry on doing the same things, and recognising that is half the battle.

Changing your life takes courage, effort and determination, but its always worth it! I'd say that it sounds like the first thing your friend needs to do is take a good long hard look at himself, and decided what it is that is dragging the rest down. Is he unhappy at work? If so, is it just the job, or the career choice? I have a friend who decided to go from working for a bank, to working for the ambulance service! She had to work really hard to achieve the change, and take a cut in salary, but she weighed that up with what she'd gain, went for it, and never looked back.

Is it the weight and health issue he's most unhappy with? If he's already had one warning shot, he may not be lucky enough to get another one! Changing this is difficult, probably the hardest of all. I've battled with my weight for years, but over this year I've lost a stone and a half, and have another stone to go. I've never been happier, healthier, more confident or had more energy in my life! I've discovered a passion for food that I would never have dreamt of eating, and a real love of cooking, which I'd long since forgotten. I always wanted to be a chef when I was younger, but like so many people who work hard, and never have much time, discovered junk food was so much easier. What your friend needs to remember is that junk food has additives in which are addictive, giving this food type up is just like giving up smoking, or fighting any other addiction, and yet is not as recognised. But, with all addictions, when you've kicked it, everything always seems far more enjoyable than the addiction ever did! Cooking healthily really isn't difficult at all, just takes a few minor adjustments to the way you do things, and it doesn't stop you enjoying a drink once in a while, or a meal out, or, indeed, a curry! I personally use Slimming World, which is superb, and am happy to give you more info, to pass on to your friend, but there's plenty of other ways of doing it.

As for the always wearing blue thing? I reckon that if your friend gets to the root of what is stopping him making the changes he wants to make, and finds the confidence to change them, then his confidence will cause a change in his whole outlook on himself, and that will all change too. Failing that, I'd say find a nice female friend, who will be brutally honest (think Trinny & Suzanne) and get her to take him shopping! I've done that for a friend in the past, he still thanks me for it 4 years later!

TT.

Lynn
1st-November-2005, 07:01 PM
Agree with what has been written above.

But the blue thing? Why does he want to stop wearing blue? Does it not suit him? If it suits him and he likes wearing blue, then 'change for changes sake' might be a bit pointless, especially if he is trying to change lots of other things in life at the same time. If he 'feels he doesn't look good in any other colour' as you say then changing might make him feel self concious and uncomfortable - which could push him back to comfort eating crisps etc.

On the other hand, if its the style of clothes that he wants to change, and the blue is just an 'excuse' then as TT said, he should take an advisor along.

Lory
1st-November-2005, 07:19 PM
Has anyone on this forum or does anyone know anyone who has undergone a complete life style change
Yes me, it happened quite naturally..............

......the day I became a mum ;)

And a fantastic journey it's been too :nice:

WittyBird
1st-November-2005, 07:45 PM
I reckon your 'friend' should take advice from his or her friends I am sure that there is someone who has given your 'friend' advice and offered to help him?
maybe your 'friend' just hasn't listened.

Maybe your 'friend' needs to thank his lucky stars that he has people that support and help him. :rolleyes:

johnthehappyguy
1st-November-2005, 07:59 PM
10 days ago I was on a "More to Life Course".

The results were many and fantastic.

I now have been able to get rid of the bitterness anger, resentment and fear I had been carrying around for years.

Back to your thread-

The course encouraged us to restrict caffeine intake during the course. similarly to abstain from chocolate.

Previously I had been an eight pints of tea a day man, and could eat a couple of boost bars (or more) at one sitting.

That was 10 days ago, and I have avoided all chocolate, and sweet things since - with no cravings. ( I have boost bars to hand, as well as other "nice" things without temptation)

I have also abstained from caffeine - apart from last week when I had a diet Irn Bru which I thought didn't contain caffeine.:tears:

I am managing fine without it.

The side effects were a bit of a fuzzy head at the weekend, and I felt I was not thinking as clearly especially during conversation.

The last two days my hands have been a bit shaky at work-

But still no craving:nice:

Hopefully that will be the last of the caffeine leaving my system.

There has been at least one stressful moment in my life, in the last few days, and I have used the processes I learned at the workshop to get a handle on things.

For those interested try:-

www.lifetrainingscotland.org
www.moretolife.org

johnthehappyguy:)

spindr
1st-November-2005, 08:04 PM
My mate realised he wears blue nearly all the time and shouldnt keep picking up crisps and winegums on the way home from work ?
Ask a vegetarian where gelatine comes from :)

It's not cooking -- it's programming with ingredients -- think program, not recipe :)

Use the freezer and batch cook. Buy a stock-pot and use that to cook 8-12 portions and freeze it.
Don't portion it out when you're hungry -- make sure you keep them all "reasonable" sized -- but not so small that you decide you have to thaw two.

Soup -- mostly water -- some veggies -- some stock (cube) -- easy. Blend it if you can't cope with lumps.

Think chili -- is there a more macho meal? If you want to reduce your meat intake, then bulk it up with more (and different) beans. I use one of Jamie Olivers recipes doubled and then thrown out all the fussy bits :) Make it with pork, or turkey if you're avoiding red meat.

Buy a wok -- it's like engineering -- you only have to cut it up and stir it.

Stewed apple -- it's like apple pie -- but only 4 mins in the microwave.

A baby George Foreman grill -- a gadget -- endorsed by a boxer -- what more does he want :)

SpinDr.

Lynn
1st-November-2005, 11:24 PM
Think chili -- is there a more macho meal? If you want to reduce your meat intake, then bulk it up with more (and different) beans.Mixed bean chilli... :drool:

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-November-2005, 12:07 AM
does he carry on until he gets another 'warning shot '?? :blush:Sounds a lot like he needs the Landmark Forum (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6525).

I gather one pays one's salary directly to them and they do all the changing for you :whistle:

LMC
2nd-November-2005, 10:01 AM
I reckon your 'friend' should take advice from his or her friends I am sure that there is someone who has given your 'friend' advice and offered to help him?
maybe your 'friend' just hasn't listened.

Maybe your 'friend' needs to thank his lucky stars that he has people that support and help him. :rolleyes:
:yeah:

Recognising a need or want to change is half the battle. Unfortunately, it's the easy half. "Your friend" can go on about it until the cows come home, but at some point has to actually step over the line and make that effort.

TiggsTours
2nd-November-2005, 10:47 AM
Mixed bean chilli... :drool:
:drool: :drool: :drool:

And no cooking for 3 hours!

Last night I took:

1 tin baked beans (chilli ones)
1 tin kidney beans
2 tins mixed beans
2 tins chopped tomatoes
some chilli powder
1 2min bag of microwavable rice

Open all the tins, and drain the kidney & mixed beans (the hard part) pour the tins into a saucepan (put empty ones into re-cycling box), with some chilli powder to taste, heat gently for about half an hour, stirring occassionally (whilst filling the washing machine, getting dance clothes out ready, watching a bit of telly). Cut 2cm into rice bag, microwave for 2 mins, put onto plate, spoon on some chilli, sprinkle on some ready grated half-fat cheese.

There, minimum effort, 5 mins preperation, occassional stirring for half an hour, only one saucepan, one wooden spoon, one plate & one fork to wash up (even less with a dishwasher) and I've had a very healthy, high in fibre, meal, which will last for about 10 meals! And I've got plenty of time to have a shower and get myself ready to go dancing! I've even managed to get some housework done!

Eating healthily does not have to be difficult, the only difficult bit is to stop making excuses for not doing it!

David Bailey
2nd-November-2005, 11:19 AM
Recipes thread needed...

KatieR
2nd-November-2005, 11:22 AM
Recipes thread needed...

Most definately, I have some great recipes that Im sure numerous forumites can highly recommend!

senorita
2nd-November-2005, 11:26 AM
Recipes thread needed...

hungry thread needed :rofl:

dee
2nd-November-2005, 12:25 PM
Most definately, I have some great recipes that Im sure numerous forumites can highly recommend!

Great KatieR :clap: looking forwards to your new thread :hug:

drathzel
2nd-November-2005, 12:48 PM
I used to wear all blue or black, i started introducing one or two tops that weren't that colour and now i am a rainbow!!! Its fab.

Well for changing lifestyles... hmm, well i am giving up my house, my job, my dancing, and my social life to move back home to Northern Ireland, and you know what... I am sooooo excited! But its all the mind set i have put on it. You need to really believe its what you want to do, dont let anythign get in your way and just do it!! It may take a while and there may be a few set back, but thats ok, just go for it! You will feel the rewards in the future, and if it all goes belly up, well its a life lesson learned! :clap:

dee
2nd-November-2005, 01:06 PM
I used to wear all blue or black, i started introducing one or two tops that weren't that colour and now i am a rainbow!!! Its fab.

Well for changing lifestyles... hmm, well i am giving up my house, my job, my dancing, and my social life to move back home to Northern Ireland, and you know what... I am sooooo excited! But its all the mind set i have put on it. You need to really believe its what you want to do, dont let anythign get in your way and just do it!! It may take a while and there may be a few set back, but thats ok, just go for it! You will feel the rewards in the future, and if it all goes belly up, well its a life lesson learned! :clap:

Good on you Drathzel i hope it all works out !!!

My life has been a roller coaster going down hill since losing my parents but since enrolling at the gym and passing my GCSE English, and working my way to a maths GCSE i hope in the new year i can get back to work after quite a few years of bringing up my children and staying at home. It's all abit scary but i need real change in my life so im going for it.

Here's to the new year and the new positive me

drathzel
2nd-November-2005, 01:14 PM
It's all abit scary but i need real change in my life so im going for it.

Here's to the new year and the new positive me

Thanks Dee!

Yeah it is a bit scary but the "Fear Factor" is what i makes the accomplishment feel soooo good in the end! Plus if it wasnt scary then the stuff we did do, people would be like "so what?!" It means soooo much more when you know you could have failed!:hug:

LMC
2nd-November-2005, 01:33 PM
I think the secret to major changes is not trying to take on too much at once. In the space of 18 months, I moved four times (including buying a house), changed jobs twice (including a relocation from the West Country) and got divorced. Then wondered why I was stressed... :what:

At the time, it's all positive change - but you need to keep focussed on the change you're wanting to make and take time for yourself just to relax/reflect, or things may get on top of you. Any fundamental change in lifestyle will mean that you have to make adjustments in other areas IMO - e.g. sleeping more may mean dancing less (nah, bad idea :na: )

stewart38
2nd-November-2005, 01:33 PM
hungry thread needed :rofl:

Ok you work in open plan office of 85 people and someone brings in birthday cakes

Do you

1) Eat one and skip lunch
2) Eat 3 and start the whole cycle again
3) Dont have any
4) Eat one have lunch and dont feel guilty, you dont do diets

If you dont have any, you feel your 'punishing yourself surely' also for how long, for ever ?

Its also not a one off as its usually 2 times or more a week

You go for sit down lunch, do you find what you think is the lighest meal and stay hungry or eat what you like but feel guility.

Cant see easy solutions to this, lifestyle I guess must be 24/7 ?

Suggestions :sick:

TiggsTours
2nd-November-2005, 01:35 PM
I forgot to say, as well as the weight loss thing, which is a life changing experience in itself, nearly 2 years ago I gave up my job at a company I'd worked for for 12 years, my home, my 5 year relationship with a man I adore, but was never going to go anywhere with, and went travelling for a year. When I came home I had no home, no job, no money, no car, no boyfriend, it was a really tough time. But now I have a really nice place to live, and nice car, a job, money in the bank, am currently looking for a better job, with offers coming in all the time, I'm in a good place to pick and choose, and am getting some good savings towards finally buying my own place. My own self-confidence has rocketed, and I feel more in control of my life than I ever have!

Making a life-changing decision is a very scary thing to do. Its not something you should take lightly, and its never going to be easy. You'll have really tough days when you just wish everything was back to "normal". The best thing to do on those days is remind yourself how "normal" felt, and that there was a reason you chose to make this change.

Its a battle, a tough one, but its always one that you can, and will win, and it will always be worth it.

LMC
2nd-November-2005, 01:42 PM

Some people do it all at once ( :worthy: TT )

Some people don't (and I'm in that camp).

Change doesn't necessarily have to be overnight - especially for some of the sorts of changes you are talking about. Even small changes are a start - buy a green or purple shirt instead of a blue one. Eat ONE cake instead of three :whistle: .

And if you 'lapse' on one day - well, it's only one day innit? - doesn't mean that you'll lapse the next day unless you get into "I can't do this" mode.

Thinking that you "should" make changes is not enough. You have to really want to, or you won't put the effort in. I know that from the number of times I gave up smoking :rolleyes: .

KatieR
2nd-November-2005, 01:44 PM
Making a life-changing decision is a very scary thing to do. Its not something you should take lightly, and its never going to be easy. You'll have really tough days when you just wish everything was back to "normal". The best thing to do on those days is remind yourself how "normal" felt, and that there was a reason you chose to make this change.

Its a battle, a tough one, but its always one that you can, and will win, and it will always be worth it.

It was a huge change for me moving to another country for 2 years after always having the protection of home, and it was scary as heck but I know that I would have always regretted it if I just didn't take the chance.

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and see where you end up. Some things pay off, some dont. But you learn from those experiences and it all adds up to living a fulfilling and happy life.

Lynn
2nd-November-2005, 02:01 PM
I forgot to say, as well as the weight loss thing, which is a life changing experience in itself, nearly 2 years ago I gave up my job at a company I'd worked for for 12 years, my home, my 5 year relationship with a man I adore, but was never going to go anywhere with, and went travelling for a year. Oh, that sounds so tempting! I'd love to do something really different from what I'm doing now. Just that irritating thing called money gets in the way!

stewart38
2nd-November-2005, 02:07 PM
It was a huge change for me moving to another country for 2 years after always having the protection of home, and it was scary as heck but I know that I would have always regretted it if I just didn't take the chance.

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and see where you end up. Some things pay off, some dont. But you learn from those experiences and it all adds up to living a fulfilling and happy life.

We will all do our best to keep you here as well :flower:

Clive Long
2nd-November-2005, 02:24 PM
<< snip >>

Wise, inspirational words Amanda.

<< lots of honest stuff >>

I am sure you have unearthed important stuff and will build well on it. Good luck

Clive

senorita
2nd-November-2005, 02:52 PM
Ok you work in open plan office of 85 people and someone brings in birthday cakes

Do you

3) Dont have any

If you dont have any, you feel your 'punishing yourself surely' also for how long, for ever ?

You go for sit down lunch, do you find what you think is the lighest meal and stay hungry or eat what you like but feel guility.

Very good post stewart....I need time to think about my answers at the mo... as too busy eating to answer AND defo not feeling guilty of stuffing my face like a pig ;-)

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 11:10 AM

Do you

3) Dont have any

The cakes thing? I'd eat one, I wouldn't feel at all guilty, its just one cake, one day, but if someone had a birthday every day of the same week, I'd have half, maybe I wouldn't have any a couple of days, if it was my birthday, and there'd been lots of cake all week, I'd by a big bag of fruit for those who don't want cake every day, I'd ask the birthday boy/girl if they could get me some fruit instead, but I certainly wouldn't feel at all bad about eating a bit of cake occassionally! But, if you choose to eat 3 cakes, or even 1 cake every day, then you also choose to face the consequences! Oh, and NEVER skip lunch! The secret to healthy weight loss is to never go hungry! Never feel like you are depriving yourself, and NEVER skip a meal! Eat plenty, and regularly, just make sure what you're eating is a healthy balance of all the nutrients you need, with the OCCASSIONAL treat!

Sit down lunches, can be hard, that's true, but how often do you do it? If its once a week, enjoy it! If its more, enjoy the odd one, have whatever you fancy, and for the others, how about an omelette? Or else, try to avoid anything that's heavy in sauces, especially creamy or cheesey sauces, that tends to be where all the bad stuff is! When you go for a sit down lunch, do you always have a drink? Again, if once a week, fine, if more often, how about you have a diet coke, a water, a fruit juice instead, stick to the beer just once a week.

When you want to lose weight, you can eat cake, curry, chocolate, drink beer, eat crisps, go out for dinner, have whatever you want, but if you choose to do that everyday, what do you expect? Instead, do it less often, and really enjoy it when you do!

senorita
3rd-November-2005, 03:11 PM
The cakes thing? I'd eat one, I wouldn't feel at all guilty, its just one cake, one day, but if someone had a birthday every day of the same week, I'd have half, maybe I wouldn't have any a couple of days, if it was my birthday, and there'd been lots of cake all week, I'd by a big bag of fruit for those who don't want cake every day, I'd ask the birthday boy/girl if they could get me some fruit instead, but I certainly wouldn't feel at all bad about eating a bit of cake occassionally! But, if you choose to eat 3 cakes, or even 1 cake every day, then you also choose to face the consequences! Oh, and NEVER skip lunch! The secret to healthy weight loss is to never go hungry! Never feel like you are depriving yourself, and NEVER skip a meal! Eat plenty, and regularly, just make sure what you're eating is a healthy balance of all the nutrients you need, with the OCCASSIONAL treat!

Sit down lunches, can be hard, that's true, but how often do you do it? If its once a week, enjoy it! If its more, enjoy the odd one, have whatever you fancy, and for the others, how about an omelette? Or else, try to avoid anything that's heavy in sauces, especially creamy or cheesey sauces, that tends to be where all the bad stuff is! When you go for a sit down lunch, do you always have a drink? Again, if once a week, fine, if more often, how about you have a diet coke, a water, a fruit juice instead, stick to the beer just once a week.

When you want to lose weight, you can eat cake, curry, chocolate, drink beer, eat crisps, go out for dinner, have whatever you want, but if you choose to do that everyday, what do you expect? Instead, do it less often, and really enjoy it when you do!

You can eat what u want yes....but to an extreme, ....to be healthy it best to feed your body, ...what we call "A balance diet"...the body needs feeding a little of everything.."a variety is a spice of life"....but to loose weight u need to exercise(which is very important in life) & eat sensibly & healthy too. We need to excercise & burn off more calories than what we intake to loose weight ...so therefore...I recomend we dance harder &.. more :grin: .....sigh...what a hard life this is! :D

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 03:18 PM
[/B]

You can eat what u want yes....but to an extreme, ....to be healthy it best to feed your body, ...what we call "A balance diet"...the body needs feeding a little of everything.."a variety is a spice of life"....but to loose weight u need to excercise(which is very important in life) & eat sensibly & healthy too. We need to excercise & burn off more calories than what we intake to loose weight ...so therefore...I recomend we dance harder &.. more :grin: .....sigh...what a hard life this is! :D

What would be a 'good' curry to eat (I know its relative) Skips sources etc I guess, if having a starter , soup??

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 03:21 PM
[/B]

You can eat what u want yes....but to an extreme, ....to be healthy it best to feed your body, ...what we call "A balance diet"...the body needs feeding a little of everything.."a variety is a spice of life"....but to loose weight u need to excercise(which is very important in life) & eat sensibly & healthy too. We need to excercise & burn off more calories than what we intake to loose weight ...so therefore...I recomend we dance harder &.. more :grin: .....sigh...what a hard life this is! :D
Ah yes, then how do you explain that, after only eating the food served at mealtimes, no snacking between meals at all, no cakes in the evening, and an average of ten hours dancing a day over the Rock Bottoms weekend, I still managed to gain half a pound? However, if I'd had control over what I was eating (could cook for myself) with that much dancing I'd have easily lost 3 pounds?

Exercise IS important, yes, but only when hand in hand with a healthy balance diet. You can't eat pudding everyday, and expect to lose weight because you go dancing each night.

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 03:28 PM
You can't eat pudding everyday, and expect to lose weight because you go dancing each night.

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

senorita
3rd-November-2005, 03:33 PM
Ah yes, then how do you explain that, after only eating the food served at mealtimes, no snacking between meals at all, no cakes in the evening, and an average of ten hours dancing a day over the Rock Bottoms weekend, I still managed to gain half a pound? However, if I'd had control over what I was eating (could cook for myself) with that much dancing I'd have easily lost 3 pounds?

Exercise IS important, yes, but only when hand in hand with a healthy balance diet. You can't eat pudding everyday, and expect to lose weight because you go dancing each night.

Hence why I said to loose weight you need to do an aerobic exercise combined with a balanced healthy eating diet.., but you need to burn off more calories then you intake :flower:
you can eat cake occassionally BUT not everyday as it becomes unhealthy & your gonna gain weight!...again with other bad food...there is no harm to give yourself a treat now & again...like I have today...a few handful of Belgian chocolates etc :whistle: :D

KatieR
3rd-November-2005, 03:34 PM

All I did was switch my meal times around and exercise. didnt really cut anything out.

Its not always easy given certain work environments, but when I was nannying it was easier for me to have quite a big lunch (often this consisted of pizza express) and had very little or nothing for dinner. Being a nanny I was walking over an hour day. I lost 3 stone in about 6 months and have managed to pretty much keep most of it off for the last 12 months. I think when you do something long enough, it does become natural. I no longer feel the obsession with food that I perhaps once had. Im no longer a comfort eater, I tend to not eat when feeling sick or down when 18 months ago I probably would have emptied the entire contents of the fridge.

Sometimes it takes a huge life change, and then often other things just fall into place. But its knowing what change to make is the tricky part. But I think on the whole, in our hearts we know when we have made a right decision.

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 03:40 PM
All I did was switch my meal times around and exercise. didnt really cut anything out.

Its not always easy given certain work environments, but when I was nannying it was easier for me to have quite a big lunch (often this consisted of pizza express) and had very little or nothing for dinner. Being a nanny I was walking over an hour day. I lost 3 stone in about 6 months and have managed to pretty much keep most of it off for the last 12 months. I think when you do something long enough, it does become natural. I no longer feel the obsession with food that I perhaps once had. Im no longer a comfort eater, I tend to not eat when feeling sick or down when 18 months ago I probably would have emptied the entire contents of the fridge.

Sometimes it takes a huge life change, and then often other things just fall into place. But its knowing what change to make is the tricky part. But I think on the whole, in our hearts we know when we have made a right decision.

Sorry, you misunderstood, I've lost a stone and a half, by changing my eating patterns, I was saying that you can't lose weight purely by excercise, as my 10 hours of dancing a day this weekend proved, as I wasn't in control of my eating patterns (dictated by the hotel I was staying in) and put on a small amount of weight.

You're right, once you've made the change in your eating patterns, it becomes second nature, you don't think about it at all, the only time I now really think about what I'm eating is when I'm not in control of it, but at these times, you just have to go with it, and not beat yourself up over it. That half a pound will come off in no time, now I'm back to my usual eating patterns.

senorita
3rd-November-2005, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=TiggsTours]Sorry, you misunderstood, I've lost a stone and a half, by changing my eating patterns, I was saying that you can't lose weight purely by excercise, as my 10 hours of dancing a day this weekend proved, as I wasn't in control of my eating patterns (dictated by the hotel I was staying in) and put on a small amount of weight.

Maybe your body has got so fit & used to the dance aerobic workout it needs pushing in another form of exercise?? perhaps try something else??

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 03:50 PM
..there is no harm to give yourself a treat now & again...like I have today...a few handful of Belgian chocolates etc :whistle: :D

Surely thats a diet mentality ? Thats why so many never work

Shouldnt you aim (I havent a clue) for a life style that is so natural that you dont even think of eating a few chocolates as a treat or feel guilty about eating them ?

KatieR
3rd-November-2005, 03:54 PM

Shouldnt you aim (I havent a clue) for a life style that is so natural that you dont even think of eating a few chocolates as a treat or feel guilty about eating them ?

this is how I feel that I am now, I still eat chocolate but Im just not obsessed with it anymore. I actually dont even eat it that often.

Sorry Tiggs, if I misunderstood what you meant. :blush:

senorita
3rd-November-2005, 03:59 PM

I'm not guilty :devil: of anything .....I'm an :innocent:

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 04:41 PM

Absolutely!

I used to be a real chocoholic, before I went through my healthy change, now I eat about 3 squares of galaxy maybe twice a week, and that's all I want. I don't even think about it the rest of the time, and when I have it, I really enjoy it, without any guilty feelings, of thinking that now I've got to be "good". I eat more now than I did before I made the change, I enjoy everything I eat, I've discovered a real passion for fresh fruit and vegetables, which I used to force myself to eat before, and get just as much pleasure from an apple as I do from a bar of chocolate.

Healthy food is always more flavoursome, and fills you up more, its just that all the "bad" stuff (for want of a better word) is pumped full of chemicals that make you want more, and ruin your enjoyment of fresh food. But moving on to a healthy diet doesn't mean not eating any of the "bad" stuff, its just you really do end up not wanting so much of it!

I had profiteroles the other day, they were lovely, before hand I'd have cleared my plate, there were 3 in the bowl, I ate 2, and really honestly didn't want the other one, at all, so I just didn't eat it. People on my table praised me for being so "good", I wasn't being good at all, it didn't take an ounce of self-discipline, I just really didn't want anymore.

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 04:48 PM
Absolutely!

Healthy food is always more flavoursome,

Healthy food is always more flavoursome

:angry: :angry:

Not working

I can see how this can work

If i say it enought times ill believe it :yeah:

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 04:51 PM

Not working

Its not saying it, its doing it that will make it work.

Once all the chemicals that those evil junk food people have pumped into your body have left your system, your tastebuds will be able to taste the food, and you'll know. Its a bit like giving up smoking.

KatieR
3rd-November-2005, 04:56 PM

Not working

it would appear that you havent actually eaten properly prepared and cooked healthy food.

I will have to post some of my really good healthy recipes on the recipe thread. There is a healthy option to pretty much most non healthy dishes. Its just a matter of adjusting certain ingredients.

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 05:36 PM
it would appear that you havent actually eaten properly prepared and cooked healthy food.

I will have to post some of my really good healthy recipes on the recipe thread. There is a healthy option to pretty much most non healthy dishes. Its just a matter of adjusting certain ingredients.
:yeah: I even have heathly recipes at home for:

Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate Pudding
Carrott Cake
Penne al Gorgonzola
Cheesecake (any flavour)
Baked Cheesecake
Lasange
Curry (any number!)
Onion bhajjis

I even make my own healthy tomato ketchup!

ducasi
4th-November-2005, 12:58 AM
....but to loose weight u need to exercise(which is very important in life) & eat sensibly & healthy too. I managed to lose 2 stone in weight over a year by sensible eating and no extra exercise. And at that time I didn't do any real exercise to speak of... Though I did a fair amount of walking over the course of each day.

(What a dull post for my 1500th! :tears:)

KatieR
4th-November-2005, 11:16 AM
:yeah: I even have heathly recipes at home for:

Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate Pudding
Carrott Cake
Penne al Gorgonzola
Cheesecake (any flavour)
Baked Cheesecake
Lasange
Curry (any number!)
Onion bhajjis

I even make my own healthy tomato ketchup!

Last night I invented a really healthy chinese chicken and mushroom dish.. i will post it on the recipes thread... it was lovely... and healthy too!

Bangers & Mash
4th-November-2005, 11:29 PM
I've read this thread with some interest especially since I went through a dramatic lifestyle change 4 years ago, 2 years ago and one year ago.

The thing about changing your life is that you have to want to. Not wearing blue and being slimmer is no good unless you have a reason to want to change and that change is not very often based on your reflection - it is based on your friends and relationships.

4 years ago I went from 20 stone in weight to 13.5 stone and had a dramatic change in lifestyle, more active, more sports, felt younger, felt healthier and found myself surrounded by new (and often prettier friends).

2 years ago, I moved to scotland on a whim and got into the dance scene in scotland. That was a great move, I put on a little weight but I loved my dancing, loved my swimming and felt really good about myself.

Last year I moved to Holland with work where I now live an equally active social life, still swim, still gym, play squash, dance, cycle everywhere. In the last few months my new 25 yr old girlfriend worked on my image and cosmetics (:what:) and two other girls I know dragged me out for a wardrobe change.

So, in short. If your friend is going to change first ask why? just to prolong his life or because there is something better he wants to do?

If it is merely to prolong his life then no change will occur. But, if he finds new people and activities that inspire him then he will change.

When I lost the weight I was asked, "Did you go to weightwatchers?"

My answer was a definitive "No. If I had gone to weightwatchers I would have been surrounded by fat people. What kind of inspiration is that. I surrounded myself by people who looked like I wanted to look and who lived the life I wanted to live. That was all the inspiration I needed."

Ironically, those people lived a healthier, more active lifestyle and also ate better.

TiggsTours
7th-November-2005, 10:27 AM
If I had gone to weightwatchers I would have been surrounded by fat people. What kind of inspiration is that.

Obviously spoken by someone who has never been to a slimming group!

I've never been to weightwatchers, so I can't comment on that, but I do attend a Slimming World Group every week. I am less than a stone off my target weight now, I am by no means "fat", and that word is banned in slimming group classes anyway, as it does not help to inspire anything. In our class there are about 20 of us, of which 4 are target members, and look fantastic, our consultant is a target member, about 12 of us are, like me, very close to target, and the remaining 4 are what you call "fat".

The class is a huge inspiration! To all of us! We are not surrounded by people who you can easily believe are naturally slim! The type of person you see regularly digging into junk food, cakes, drinking alcohol, and still stay nice and slim, they are no inspiration to those of us who do struggle, not everyone is lucky enough to be they type who can eat whatever they want! Instead, you are surrounded by people who have struggled for years, then found the inspiration they needed to finally do it! Every week you see the progress that they, and you have made, and are reminded, even on your gains, of the progress you've made so far, every single week! They are fun nights, you make new friends, and you share ideas, and support for those times when its all getting a little difficult.

I'm glad that you managed to find the inspiration to change in your way, but please don't disrespect other people's ways of finding their inspiration, or try to put people off seeking inspiration in that way, as going to class may be just what they need.

stewart38
7th-November-2005, 10:49 AM
So, in short. If your friend is going to change first ask why? just to prolong his life or because there is something better he wants to do?

If it is merely to prolong his life then no change will occur. But, if he finds new people and activities that inspire him then he will change.

When I lost the weight I was asked, "Did you go to weightwatchers?"

If a GP tells you change or die twice it may give you an incentive .

Where the 'incentive comes from' I think doesnt matter but it has to be in the end what 'you WANT'. Not for someone else etc

I went to weight watchers yrs ago with an ex and lost 2 1/2 stone, not easy at first but as we were both doing it and we helped each other it was manageable. However it was a 'diet' and it didnt work for me long term as A its not what I wanted. I did get the impression of the happy clappy club that most were there and treated it as a social get together. Howver if it helps people all well and good, there was on 3 or 4 men out of 75 :sad:

I want to stick to a life style change

telling yourself your not hungary is very interesting

After late night dancing on saturday ,I had 3 oranges and apple and a banana , maybe one day ill get to drinking just a 'cup of water' before i got to bed. However eating that was better then picking up a few pasties on the way home

Also eating pasta has given me terrible indigestion :mad:

TiggsTours
7th-November-2005, 11:05 AM

Where the 'incentive comes from' I think doesnt matter but it has to be in the end what 'you WANT'. Not for someone else etc

I went to weight watchers yrs ago with an ex and lost 2 1/2 stone, not easy at first but as we were both doing it and we helped each other it was manageable. However it was a 'diet' and it didnt work for me long term as A its not what I wanted. I did get the impression of the happy clappy club that most were there and treated it as a social get together. Howver if it helps people all well and good, there was on 3 or 4 men out of 75 :sad:

I want to stick to a life style change

telling yourself your not hungary is very interesting

After late night dancing on saturday ,I had 3 oranges and apple and a banana , maybe one day ill get to drinking just a 'cup of water' before i got to bed. However eating that was better then picking up a few pasties on the way home

Also eating pasta has given me terrible indigestion :mad:
Four members at our group in Harrow are guys, Stewart, and not everybody stays every week for the class. I do think that going to weigh in is important though, it keeps you focussed.

Bangers & Mash
7th-November-2005, 10:26 PM
... by no means "fat", and that word is banned in slimming group classes anyway...

Why ban the word. Why not call it as it is. I was fat from the age of 18 to 34, and I hated it. I was the "fat jolly" guy and my repertoire of fat jokes was great - "I was on a plane and they asked me to move to the back cos they couldn't get the nose up during take off", "me and a friend sent a picture of ourselves to P and O ferries saying if they didn't send us 1 million pounds, we would stand on the same side of the ship [and capsize it!]"

That didn't mean I liked it, it meant I dealt with it, and pussy footing around the subject and saying that the word "fat" is banned is simply denial.

Success is its own reward and I agree that knowing of other people's successes can be a great inspiration, but we are talking lifestyle here and losing weight is not just a case of counting calories, it is a whole lifestyle change.

A comedian once said that his doctor said "lose weight, it will put years on your life" to which he replied, "but added to which end? I don't want to spend more years pushing a zimmer frame around the old folks home in a body that can't do any of the things I enjoy"

I cited that excuse hundreds of times, but when I finally lost weight I found it adds years to the beginning of your life, with improved quality, feeling better about yourself, and engaging in activities that you couldn't do before losing weight.

If weightwatchers works for you, then great. It wouldn't work for me!

One last joke, I called a fat friend of mine once and said "I went to weightwatchers last night, but you weren't there so we had to watch someone else!"

Bangers & Mash
7th-November-2005, 10:34 PM

George Best
Smoking
Drinking
Drugs
Aids
Extreme Sports
Boxing

I'm not certain I agree. I think most people have to die once and come back!

WittyBird
8th-November-2005, 05:12 AM
If weightwatchers works for you, then great. It wouldn't work for me!

Didn't work for me either. :angry:
Diets only work as long as you do a fair amount of exercise over and beyond your normal routine. But then muscle weighs more than fat! Disheartening isnt it!

But then as long as you eat better, exercise more then you will feel and see yourself toning up , looking great and feeling fitter. The only person that can do it is you. You are doing it for yourself -If you cheat the only person you are cheating is yourself no one else could give two hoots -they like u for you not because of what you look like or how much you weigh.

Its like anything if you want to achieve something you will, only you will stop you doing it, believe in yourself and you will do well. Sit back on the sofa with a pessamistic cant be a$$ed 'will do it tomorrow' attitude and you will never change or grow as a person you will remain stagnant and the only thing moving will be your mouth from complaining and whinging. :waycool:

ducasi
8th-November-2005, 09:01 AM
Diets only work as long as you do a fair amount of exercise over and beyond your normal routine. Not so. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. So increasing physical activity helps, but decreasing what you eat also helps just as much, if not more. Find the balance that works for you.

I lost weight simply by changing my diet. While I might have been doing a little more exercise I wouldn't ever call it "a fair amount ... over and beyond [my] normal routine."

TiggsTours
8th-November-2005, 10:24 AM
Didn't work for me either. :angry:
Wouldn't work for me either, all that weighing everything, counting points in everything, restrictions in quantities, I'd be hungry all the time! Not like Slimming World, where you can eat and eat and eat, all day long! Really honestly do eat more now than I ever did before, and weigh a stone & half less than 6 months ago!

Diets only work as long as you do a fair amount of exercise over and beyond your normal routine.Not so! Sure, I'm probably dancing more, and with more energy, but that's because I have less weight to shift around!

But then muscle weighs more than fat! Disheartening isnt it! Only if you're going for real muscle building style excercise. The type of muscle definition you build just from being toned weighs such a fraction more that fat that it will hardly show on the scales. Besides, would you rather be a stone lighter, or a dress size smaller? I know which one counts for me! Who cares what the scales say?

But then as long as you eat better, exercise more then you will feel and see yourself toning up , looking great and feeling fitter. Absolutely! Although you don't have to excercise to lose weight, it really is the only healthy way of doing it, but nothing is more important than a healthy diet.
The only person that can do it is you. You are doing it for yourself -If you cheat the only person you are cheating is yourself no one else could give two hoots -they like u for you not because of what you look like or how much you weigh. :yeah: The difference is that, the happier you are with yourself, the more likeable a person you become, if you learn to love yourself, you only stand to gain more, and that includes more friends!

Its like anything if you want to achieve something you will, only you will stop you doing it, believe in yourself and you will do well. Sit back on the sofa with a pessamistic cant be a$$ed 'will do it tomorrow' attitude and you will never change or grow as a person you will remain stagnant and the only thing moving will be your mouth from complaining and whinging. :waycool:

stewart38
8th-November-2005, 10:47 AM
George Best

I'm not certain I agree. I think most people have to die once and come back!

George Best isnt dead yet !

I took a friends dog for a 2 mile walk yesterday and the day before. I have never walked around where i live in the year and a bit ive been there

Its the new start :yeah:

TiggsTours
8th-November-2005, 10:54 AM

I took a friends dog for a 2 mile walk yesterday and the day before. I have never walked around where i live in the year and a bit ive been there

Its the new start :yeah:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yay!!!!!!!!!! Well done you!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

It seems that if you really want to do this, then you have all the support network you need, right here! I'll happily chat to you about my lifestyle changes, and the difference its made to my life, until the cows come home!

Well done Stewart, I hope it works for you.:hug:

stewart38
8th-November-2005, 11:02 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yay!!!!!!!!!! Well done you!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

It seems that if you really want to do this, then you have all the support network you need, right here! I'll happily chat to you about my lifestyle changes, and the difference its made to my life, until the cows come home!

Well done Stewart, I hope it works for you.:hug:

If one changes food type drastically over night does one expect wind and constipation? :whistle:

Eating a lot of rice and pasta now :grin:

Still can’t get this drinking water bit :sad:

Someone send put lemon honey type stuff in it ? :sick:

TiggsTours
8th-November-2005, 11:20 AM
If one changes food type drastically over night does one expect wind and constipation? :whistle:

That depends just how drastic, if it is really drastic then you can certainly expect your body to react to it, yes. Try eating some beans, sounds to me like you need a bit more fibre.

KatieR
8th-November-2005, 11:31 AM

Yes, agree with TT on that one, you need more fibre.. also sounds like if you have started eating a lot more rice and pasta that can also cause constipation if you are eating too much. Try switching to brown rice and bread.

you still need to be a little careful with carbs as they can be very starchy and quite high in calories. They are also more difficult to burn than other foods. They are a great source of food for just before you exercise as carbs are turned to energy by your body. But try not to eat them before going to bed.

I lost the majority of my weight by not eating much carbohydrate after about 3pm.

johnthehappyguy
8th-November-2005, 11:34 AM

I have been drinking no caffeinated drinks for nearly three weeks now, and managing ok.:clap:

There have been times recently when I have thought that a cup of tea would be a great pick me up, yet I have managed to resist. (similarly feeling a bit drained- I used to go out and buy a boost bar to give me energy.) I am now able to keep them in the house, along with other tasty things, and am managing to avoid them all.

Fruit juices are a healthy alternative - you can always dilute them a bit, if you want a higher water content.

Skimmed milk works better for me -it also keeps my hunger at bay.

I made up a simple chart on my desk, and use it as my drinks coaster.
Every time I finish a cup of water I put a tally mark.
Seperate tallies for every day_ It works for me.

Hope this of some help Stewart.

Keep posting, your posts are a big incentive for me to keep going.

Johnthehappyguy:nice:

johnthehappyguy
8th-November-2005, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=johnthehappyguy]I have been drinking no caffeinated drinks for nearly three weeks now, and managing ok.:clap:

QUOTE]

Oops...It has not been three weeks yet .... It feels like it has been though!

John:nice:

Bangers & Mash
9th-November-2005, 09:37 AM

True. But my understanding is that he had a real scare and then stopped drinking. Then as he started to feel better he started drinking again...

For me, losing weight was always something I would do LATER - until I found myself being rushed to hospital in an ambulance. Suddenly it became something I was going to do IMMEDIATELY.

That is what I meant by having to die first - it often takes a real jolt to bring it home.

Fruit juices are a healthy alternative - you can always dilute them a bit, if you want a higher water content.

Skimmed milk works better for me -it also keeps my hunger at bay.

My fridge is full of juice, fat free milk and decaf diet coke. My tap is full of water.

I find that the decaf diet coke is great for keeping hunger at bay cos it fills you up with gas and it contains no calories. Having said that, not sure how long my teeth will last :(

stewart38
9th-November-2005, 10:22 AM
True. But my understanding is that he had a real scare and then stopped drinking. Then as he started to feel better he started drinking again...

For me, losing weight was always something I would do LATER - until I found myself being rushed to hospital in an ambulance. Suddenly it became something I was going to do IMMEDIATELY.

That is what I meant by having to die first - it often takes a real jolt to bring it home.

(

Yes he had a scare you had a scare ive had a scare

All i know is my guts are killing me :mad: more info then you need to know ! maybe there carving a kebab ?? :sad:

CeeCee
9th-November-2005, 12:18 PM
originally posted by KatieR
I managed to lose over 3 stone in weight without really dieting ...

Originally posted by TiggsTours
I've lost a stone and a half, by changing my eating patterns …

Originally posted by Ducasi
I managed to lose 2 stone in weight over a year by sensible eating and no extra exercise …

I lost weight simply by changing my diet …

Originally posted by Bangers and Mash
4 years ago I went from 20 stone in weight to 13.5 stone and had a dramatic change in lifestyle, more active, more sports, felt younger, felt healthier …

Originally posted by Stewart38
I went to weight watchers yrs ago with an ex and lost 2 1/2 stone, not easy at first but …

Wow, what an inspiration you guys are, I applaud you all for your weight loss acheivements.

My story is simple, when I was twenty I saw a full length photograph of myself.
Huge panic set in.
Exercise has been a priority in my life ever since.

Clive Long
10th-November-2005, 04:21 AM
I've read this thread with some interest especially since I went through a dramatic lifestyle change 4 years ago, 2 years ago and one year ago.

The thing about changing your life is that you have to want to. Not wearing blue and being slimmer is no good unless you have a reason to want to change and that change is not very often based on your reflection - it is based on your friends and relationships.
<< other good stuff >>
The above is true for me.

Don't expect change to be pain free, but if you have a vision of how you want your life to become the vision helps.

(Mis-)Quoting Tiggs Tours "When the going is tough, and you want life to return to normal, remember what normal was and all the reasons you started this change".

It is easy for others to tell you what you need to do - however, others have changed their lives - so it can be done.

Clive

fletch
10th-November-2005, 08:35 AM
Obviously spoken by someone who has never been to a slimming group!

I've never been to weightwatchers, so I can't comment on that, but I do attend a Slimming World Group every week.
As a Slimming World Consultant, all your advice has been spot on (you would make a fab consultant)
I lost over 5 stone and have gone from a 22 to a 12

I have had so many life changes but some of my recent big ones are

Serveral cosmetic procedures (with more to follow)
No alcohol (2 years on the 2nd of January)
and i'm now on the right side of the law
:clap:

Minnie M
10th-November-2005, 09:13 AM
Wow, what an inspiration you guys are, I applaud you all for your weight loss acheivements.

My story is simple, when I was twenty I saw a full length photograph of myself.
Huge panic set in.
Exercise has been a priority in my life ever since.
Wow !! and you look fantastic :flower: (hate you)

stewart38
10th-November-2005, 10:54 AM
I

Hope this of some help Stewart.

Keep posting, your posts are a big incentive for me to keep going.

Johnthehappyguy:nice:

My weight in the last 5yrs has varied from 17stone (last yr ) to 13st 6 (weight watchers 5yrs ago).

In the two weeks since I started this ‘change in life style’, it would appear I’ve gone from 16st 3 to 15st 6 (I'm 6ft 1 so carry this weight well :whistle: ). I don’t believe I've lost this much weight. My AIM is not to loose weight rapidly (I lost 7lbs in first week of weight watchers and 5lbs the week after, I still have the card!). However the benefit of having a addictive personality is i got so into that i counted points like silly and long term i just got 'bored'.

As people seem to opening up a bit more on this thread I think I will

The back ground to me is a bit of a problem that put me in hospital last March (heart related) and this repeated itself in September this year but went away.

Historically I’ve suffer from High blood pressure and high cholesterol (treated with pills)

Of course a lot of this is genetic. I’m 40 my dad has his first stroke at 42 and after 5 heart attacks the third stroke killed him at 68. Ran his own business etc smoke heavily upto about 50 always eat you could regard 'crap' food. My grand father died of heart attack aged 64 ! so there is the history. My grans lived into there 90s so women please dont think ill drop dead on the dance floor.:sad:

After my most recent episode (my heart is fine) I had to see GP. I haven’t taken any pills for a year. I had loads of blood tests all fine. I was also amazed when I found cholesterol and blood pressure although border line was just with the non pill taking range

He said take another test in 4 weeks and then I realised what if I delayed that and try in 3 months (There happy with that) and see what happens if I change eating habits

I’m the type of guy who bought 24 packets of crisp on a Saturday and eat them by Tuesday or eat a Cornish pasty and chicken pasty and a mass of roasted peanuts at 1am on a Saturday after dancing

However life style isn’t amount just weight etc it’s about sleeping patterns, this job (I’ve applied for another) what I wear everything for me.

Given I’ve had gut ache in last 2 weeks it may have helped that I haven’t felt hungry

There is another pile of cakes (someone’s birthday) but I don’t want to eat any of that crap (thats just today) Id usually eat 4 donuts etc (if there were loads)

Its far too early to feel any different but I look forward to my new Wok treat tonight

Ive had major changes before and stuck to them (I havent drank in 11yrs) but what ever happens this will be fun

As a incentive i have a girl who sits on my right who stuffs her face all day :yeah:

Im miles away from drinking water and drink loads of decafe coffee :sad:

LMC
10th-November-2005, 11:02 AM
Im miles away from drinking water and drink loads of decafe coffee :sad:

It's possible to drink too much water

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1133308.stm

The British Dietetic Association currently suggests drinking six to eight cups or glasses of water, tea, coffee, juice, or sugar free drinks per day.

This wasn't quite the article I wanted - I do remember reading one about the "over-dilution" effect of drinking too much water - Anthony Andrews (the actor) made himself ill that way once IIRC. But that one made me smile - "I'm being thick today because I drunk too much water"

It's easy to get obsessive about drinking water - most of us don't drink enough. Assuming that most mugs contain about 1/3 ltr of liquid, we're basically talking about 2-3 litres of liquid a day (presumably as a minimum, you'd need more if exercising - I can get through that just in one evening's dancing, let alone what I've drunk earlier in the day). ANY liquid is better than none at all - coffee (even decaf) may have a dehydrating effect, but the dehydrating effect is, I believe, not as much as to cancel out the liquid content (unless you're drinking espresso?)

El Salsero Gringo
10th-November-2005, 11:17 AM
It's easy to get obsessive about drinking water - most of us don't drink enough. Assuming that most mugs contain about 1/3 ltr of liquid, we're basically talking about 2-3 litres of liquid a day (presumably as a minimum, you'd need more if exercising - I can get through that just in one evening's dancing, let alone what I've drunk earlier in the day). ANY liquid is better than none at all - coffee (even decaf) may have a dehydrating effect, but the dehydrating effect is, I believe, not as much as to cancel out the liquid content (unless you're drinking espresso?)Don't forget that the food you eat is going to contain I guess 50-90% water by weight (the only really dry foods are the freeze-dried stuff that astronauts take on board, that has to be rehydrated) so that adds a bit extra to your daily intake.

TiggsTours
10th-November-2005, 12:03 PM
It's possible to drink too much water

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1133308.stm

This wasn't quite the article I wanted - I do remember reading one about the "over-dilution" effect of drinking too much water - Anthony Andrews (the actor) made himself ill that way once IIRC. But that one made me smile - "I'm being thick today because I drunk too much water"

It's easy to get obsessive about drinking water - most of us don't drink enough. Assuming that most mugs contain about 1/3 ltr of liquid, we're basically talking about 2-3 litres of liquid a day (presumably as a minimum, you'd need more if exercising - I can get through that just in one evening's dancing, let alone what I've drunk earlier in the day). ANY liquid is better than none at all - coffee (even decaf) may have a dehydrating effect, but the dehydrating effect is, I believe, not as much as to cancel out the liquid content (unless you're drinking espresso?)
I once heard a story of one guy who drank too much water whilst excercising, he had a heart attack and died!

The point is though that people think "consume 2 litres of liquid a day" means "drink 2 litres of water", it actually doesn't. That liquid can come in the form of any drink (except alcohol, and best to limit higly caffienated drinks), or even from your food, if it has a high liqid level. Fruit is a really good way of getting liquid into your body.

ducasi
10th-November-2005, 01:36 PM
It's possible to drink too much water ... The most famous "ecstasy death" – Leah Betts – was actually the result of drinking too much water. (Though the drug would likely have allowed her to ignore any warning signs, and so may have indirectly contributed to her death.)

The rule of drinking 8 glasses (2 litres) of water a day is a myth. On average we do need 1.2 litres (about 4-5 glasses) of water a day, but as Tiggs says, a lot of that we get from our food.

Here's a page (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/features/watermyth.htm) I found on the 'net which has more info...

johnthehappyguy
15th-November-2005, 02:28 PM
As people seem to opening up a bit more on this thread I think I will...

I’m the type of guy who bought 24 packets of crisp on a Saturday and eat them by Tuesday or eat a Cornish pasty and chicken pasty and a mass of roasted peanuts at 1am on a Saturday after dancing.....

However life style isn’t amount just weight etc it’s about sleeping patterns, this job (I’ve applied for another) what I wear everything for me.

There is another pile of cakes (someone’s birthday) but I don’t want to eat any of that crap (thats just today) I'd usually eat 4 donuts etc (if there were loads).

Keep going Stewart!!!

I used to go out and eat up to 4 boost bars at once.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
To overcome my various cravings I used to have no sugary stuff in the house.
that did not stop me going to the shops - the 24 hour garage was handy too - when the food urge overcame me.

Now I have bought a lot of tasty stuff, which I can have in my cupboards, and not eat it. This might not seem much,yet it is a big achievement for me.

In the last few days I have managed to test my resolve further by having a bite of a Boost bar. It was odd. It did not have the attraction that it used to have for me. In fact I did not even finish the bar.

Similarly my other favourites, I can take them in moderation, rather than finishing them there and then.

I find it hard to believe that I have been capable of achieving this.

Yet I have managed and am feeling a lot weller for it.

How are you getting on with your changes ?

Let's hear about your achievements, whatever size they are, and the challenges you are facing.

johnthehappyguy:nice:

stewart38
15th-November-2005, 03:10 PM
Keep going Stewart!!!

I used to go out and eat up to 4 boost bars at once.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
To overcome my various cravings I used to have no sugary stuff in the house.
that did not stop me going to the shops - the 24 hour garage was handy too - when the food urge overcame me.

Now I have bought a lot of tasty stuff, which I can have in my cupboards, and not eat it. This might not seem much,yet it is a big achievement for me.

In the last few days I have managed to test my resolve further by having a bite of a Boost bar. It was odd. It did not have the attraction that it used to have for me. In fact I did not even finish the bar.

Similarly my other favourites, I can take them in moderation, rather than finishing them there and then.

I find it hard to believe that I have been capable of achieving this.

Yet I have managed and am feeling a lot weller for it.

How are you getting on with your changes ?

Let's hear about your achievements, whatever size they are, and the challenges you are facing.

If this turns into a self group of two so be it :yeah:

After dance marathon , I eat crap food yesterday from the moment i left camber till 11pm. Im not going to get mad about it, it happened. Im back on form today and you know it really isnt that hard not to get a big bag of crips and 2 packets of wine gums at Euston station on the way home. I didnt know there was so much saturated fat in those lovely round cheese biscuits :sad: 17.6% I think .

Ive got a friend coming over tonite and we will shop at Tescos and I aim to buy more non junk stuff :yeah:

Might even go dog walking again !

I know this sounds very simple but if crap food isnt in the house you cant eat it ! so i can hunt all like.

Im very tired but thats lack of sleep , i can work that one out

jivecat
16th-November-2005, 07:26 PM
If this turns into a self group of two so be it :yeah:

Keep it up, you two, you're doing great!
And Stewart38, keep going with the job applications, as you so obviously hate your work!

I know this sounds very simple but if crap food isnt in the house you cant eat it ! so i can hunt all like.

My view entirely, if there's a bar of chocolate in the house it's only a matter of time before it gets scoffed. A pack of biscuits is OK until the wrapper is breached - then I'm completely unable to stop myself from eating them all immediately.

stewart38
16th-November-2005, 08:05 PM
Keep it up, you two, you're doing great!
And Stewart38, keep going with the job applications, as you so obviously hate your work!

My view entirely, if there's a bar of chocolate in the house it's only a matter of time before it gets scoffed. A pack of biscuits is OK until the wrapper is breached - then I'm completely unable to stop myself from eating them all immediately.

You know i might need a new belt my trousers were a bit loose ! Ive gone from 16st 3 to 15st 6 in 3 weeks. God one day i might be able to do up my shirt collar again

Ive put vegetables in the oven and they take an hour to roast ,i cant believe it 3 weeks ago and hr of cooking was 12 ready meals :yeah:

now im going to look at my wardrobe

Cruella
16th-November-2005, 10:03 PM
What so fascinating about a wardrobe?

Bangers & Mash
24th-November-2005, 07:37 PM

Isn't it funny how only one thing can make you feel bad about yourself, but it takes everything to feel good about yourself.

Weight, complexion, hair, clothes, job, house, car, money, dance technique, ...

Well done on what you are doing so far mate. Change of image and lifestyle is always a difficult and brave thing.

I remember when I was 18 I got my hair permed cos I fancied the hairdresser. The change in look was so radical that I didn't even recognise myself and actually held the door open for my reflection when I left the shop :blush:

I suppose it doesn't matter what I do I will never look like Tom Cruise nor will I ever have a history with Nichole Kidman or Penelope Cruz - but that's their loss :rofl: - he'll never have my friends :flower:

Lynn
24th-November-2005, 08:45 PM
I suppose it doesn't matter what I do I will never look like Tom Cruise Why would you want to? :confused: (But then again I don't think Brad Pitt is anything exciting either, which probably totally invalidates any comments I make about men!)

Bangers & Mash
24th-November-2005, 08:51 PM
Why would you want to? :confused: (But then again I don't think Brad Pitt is anything exciting either, which probably totally invalidates any comments I make about men!)

It's not the looks, it's the perks :whistle:

All Brad Pitt got was Jennifer Aniston :sad:

stewart38
25th-November-2005, 10:27 AM
Isn't it funny how only one thing can make you feel bad about yourself, but it takes everything to feel good about yourself.

Weight, complexion, hair, clothes, job, house, car, money, dance technique, ...

I would almost be tempted to go and see this unfit 40yr old :whistle:
----------------------------------------------------------------

SKY TV filming at ST ALBANS next Wednesday 30th November Next week and then the following 2 weeks a new health programme is being filmed at St Albans classes. They are following a rather unfit 40 year old guy and felt Ceroc was the perfect fun way to get fit. (we all know this already :-) ).
Â
We would love it if you would be there on time to start the beginners class. The couple being filmed will be there the whole evening so make sure you grab them for a dance and work up a bit of sweat on them.
Â
St Albans Town Hall, Market Square, St Albans. Beginners class 8pm with Mick Wenger, freestyle til 11pm. Just in case you did not know, Wednesday night at St Albans is a slightly different format. There are 3 classes, Beginners, Beginners improvers and Intermediate. This is a great night for beginners and intermediate dancers but advanced dancers beware, you will be kept dancing all night :-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

johnthehappyguy
25th-November-2005, 02:28 PM
I've gone from 16st 3 to 15st 6 in 3 weeks......

Hi Stewart,

How is the lifestyle change going now ?

A lot of folk are interested in your progress.

Steady progress is good, I know that many times in my life when I have been tackling new things or making changes, that I can overdo things initially.

Then I get a set back, and the end result is harder or becomes impossible to achieve.:sad:

Just now, I am being reminded of that, and I am having to make a conscious effort to pace myself, and I am still not getting it perfect - and that is ok.

Keep going steadily.

john:nice:

TiggsTours
25th-November-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi Stewart,

Steady progress is good, I know that many times in my life when I have been tackling new things or making changes, that I can overdo things initially.

Then I get a set back, and the end result is harder or becomes impossible to achieve.:sad:

Just now, I am being reminded of that, and I am having to make a conscious effort to pace myself, and I am still not getting it perfect - and that is ok.

Keep going steadily.

I'd be interested to hear how its going too.

stewart38
25th-November-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Stewart,

Keep going steadily.

ok from 16st 3 I went to 15st 1 (in about 4 weeks by just eating differently and maybe the odd frantic weekender).

Then I decided to eat some old remaining 'crap' from my freezer before it goes off (crap is my word ,i like to use it wether the food is crap or not is by the by) Were talking sausages etc

I think im around 15st 3. i need a new belt and notice the difference :clap: If I TELL people ive lost weight they notice it too :wink:

However this was never a campaign to loes weight quickly or beat myself up if i should fall from grace.

Its just a beginning and its also about what I wear and job etc etc

Maybe it is part of a mid life crises which will last 6 months ? At the moment I hate the idea of getting older (Im 39 sorry 40)

ps who knows a good wig shop ??

I know this sounds silly but again if it isnt in the house you cant eat it

Ive enjoyed using my wock but need to buy more vegtables. Thats chicken corn stuff seems good as well and not all rice and pasta is bland :what:

fletch
25th-November-2005, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=stewart38]ok from 16st 3 I went to 15st 1 (in about 4 weeks by just eating differently and maybe the odd frantic weekender).

QUOTE]

Its a shame you and whittybird aren't coming for the weekend now.:tears: .........I could have showed you what a frantic weekend is:eek: and all on Slimming World cuisine,:drool: keep it up.:clap:

and by the way you don't need a wig, mask or anything else the girl that get you will be very lucky, and don't you forget it:worthy:

stewart38
25th-November-2005, 06:13 PM
and by the way you don't need a wig, mask or anything else the girl that get you will be very lucky, and don't you forget it:worthy:

Cheque is in the post :blush:

TiggsTours
25th-November-2005, 06:15 PM
ok from 16st 3 I went to 15st 1 (in about 4 weeks by just eating differently and maybe the odd frantic weekender).

Then I decided to eat some old remaining 'crap' from my freezer before it goes off (crap is my word ,i like to use it wether the food is crap or not is by the by) Were talking sausages etc

I think im around 15st 3. i need a new belt and notice the difference :clap: If I TELL people ive lost weight they notice it too :wink:

However this was never a campaign to loes weight quickly or beat myself up if i should fall from grace.

Its just a beginning and its also about what I wear and job etc etc

Maybe it is part of a mid life crises which will last 6 months ? At the moment I hate the idea of getting older (Im 39 sorry 40)

ps who knows a good wig shop ??

I know this sounds silly but again if it isnt in the house you cant eat it

Ive enjoyed using my wock but need to buy more vegtables. Thats chicken corn stuff seems good as well and not all rice and pasta is bland :what:
Well done you! Doesn't it feel great!?

stewart38
25th-November-2005, 06:16 PM
Well done you! Doesn't it feel great!?

It feels bloody cold

Now im not sure if thats due to a lack of fat or the wind :blush:

chill

TiggsTours
25th-November-2005, 06:20 PM
It feels bloody cold

Now im not sure if thats due to a lack of fat or the wind :blush:

chill
Its the wind, trust me, its bl***y freezing!

Cruella
25th-November-2005, 06:57 PM
Its the wind !
Must be all those extra vegetables, has that effect on some people.:rofl:

fletch
25th-November-2005, 07:09 PM
Cheque is in the post :blush:

Money:eek: mmmmmmmmmmmm:blush: now be careful you'll get me a reputation:rofl: :rofl:

Bill
25th-November-2005, 07:25 PM
I haven't been on here for ages but a good thread and one I can contribute to as I recently decided it was time for me to change a few things.

I've been taking courses in massage for a couple of years and although I try not to think of my age I was aware that next summer I'll be 50 and I would have been in the same job ( lecturer/schools liaison co-ordinator) at Aberdeen College for 20 years.

Having decided I didn't enjoy my work as I used to and having the opportunity to move in with Fran I handed in my notice, sold my flat and moved to Edinburgh. Having lived on my own for 9 years I now live with Fran and 2 children ( 9 and 12). It's quite a change but I am now teaching my own (small) dance class on a Tuesday in Dunfermline and making a start on promoting myself as a therapist.

It was quite an easy decision to make although it was rather sudden but I'm happy and though I'm earning very little I'm stress free and am looking forward to the future.

I've also joined the local gym and have lost nearly half a stone though I hope to build up a little bit again :whistle:

So to anyone else thinking of making a change I'd say - go for it. Mind you maybe someone should ask Fran and the kids if they are as happy !!!!!:blush: :whistle:

fletch
26th-November-2005, 03:33 PM
Having decided I didn't enjoy my work as I used to and having the opportunity to move in with Fran I handed in my notice, sold my flat and moved to Edinburgh. Having lived on my own for 9 years I now live with Fran and 2 children ( 9 and 12). It's quite a change but I am now teaching my own (small) dance class on a Tuesday in Dunfermline and making a start on promoting myself as a therapist.

It was quite an easy decision to make although it was rather sudden but I'm happy and though I'm earning very little I'm stress free and am looking forward to the future.

I've also joined the local gym and have lost nearly half a stone though I hope to build up a little bit again :whistle:

So to anyone else thinking of making a change I'd say - go for it. Mind you maybe someone should ask Fran and the kids if they are as happy !!!!!:blush: :whistle:

That was very brave, and gives us singles with small children hope:flower:

johnthehappyguy
2nd-December-2005, 02:31 PM
....keep us posted on your progress...

I have slowed down a bit in my quest for weight loss and fitness.

I'm managing to stop eating rubbish, and now I am actually cooking - healthy stuff.

In the past I have tended to overdo the exercise, which has mean't that I was not able to follow through and ended up not achievng much.

For the last three months, I have been gradually increasing my exercising, and training, and stopping for a few days if I feel any niggles.

Well, it has started to work.

I am now lighter than I have been for about 10 years,
I feel a lot healthier.
Some abs are actually beginning to appear.:D

Thanks to all for your support and encouragement.

stewart38
2nd-December-2005, 02:53 PM
I have slowed down a bit in my quest for weight loss and fitness.

I'm managing to stop eating rubbish, and now I am actually cooking - healthy stuff.

In the past I have tended to overdo the exercise, which has mean't that I was not able to follow through and ended up not achievng much.

For the last three months, I have been gradually increasing my exercising, and training, and stopping for a few days if I feel any niggles.

Well, it has started to work.

I am now lighter than I have been for about 10 years,
I feel a lot healthier.
Some abs are actually beginning to appear.:D

Thanks to all for your support and encouragement.

Nice to hear

I went under 15st for the first time on monday (was 16st 3 over 4 weeks ago) seems like ive just crept over 15st again.

I’m still have my rusty weights in the corner ready for use. Cant see myself doing any more Martial Art type fitness stuff but who knows. I needed a new belt but still cant do up my collar on my shirt which is odd, maybe the kneck holds out

Cooking 'stuff' in woks is much easier and less time consuming then I thought

Again for me this isn’t about weight loss or diet just a change

I also don’t 'feel' 'bad' if someone bring cakes in and I don’t have any as I don’t miss them and will have them if I want. The 'perceived' thought was much worse

I’m going to look at my anger and buy more clothes, I still need to sleep much more stop being impatient (who invented text and e-mail !) and get on with no lets be honest start this Internet project :mad: :mad:

TiggsTours
2nd-December-2005, 04:34 PM
Nice to hear

I went under 15st for the first time on monday (was 16st 3 over 4 weeks ago) seems like ive just crept over 15st again.

I’m still have my rusty weights in the corner ready for use. Cant see myself doing any more Martial Art type fitness stuff but who knows. I needed a new belt but still cant do up my collar on my shirt which is odd, maybe the kneck holds out

Cooking 'stuff' in woks is much easier and less time consuming then I thought

Again for me this isn’t about weight loss or diet just a change

I also don’t 'feel' 'bad' if someone bring cakes in and I don’t have any as I don’t miss them and will have them if I want. The 'perceived' thought was much worse

I’m going to look at my anger and buy more clothes, I still need to sleep much more stop being impatient (who invented text and e-mail !) and get on with no lets be honest start this Internet project :mad: :mad:
This all sounds fantastic!

If this is the way you are looking at things, then this is obviously a lifestyle change for life, as you do not feel that it is a chore.

Dieting is a chore, adjusting your eating patterns and being happy with them isn't, it just so happens to result in a weight loss. Dieters always put weight back on.

I'm so pleased its working so well for you, and that you are so happy with the way things are going.

I have a recipe for an absolutely delicious baked cheesecake at home, made with cottage cheese, I'll post it on the recipe thread on Monday, try it, its delicious!

Amanda. x

stewart38
2nd-December-2005, 04:57 PM
This all sounds fantastic!

If this is the way you are looking at things, then this is obviously a lifestyle change for life, as you do not feel that it is a chore.

Amanda. x

Its not just about weight, so if a friend tells me they cant see me till the new year, i dont send 3 e-mails saying why not and then they list every day 'proving' they cant and send this :whistle: (she is non forum)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And you wonder why you get snotty e.mails from people ... your rude and quiet frankly arrogant - you seem to think you should be the centre of attention and if somebody dare be to busy to see you .... well 'how dare they' and i'm telling you this because i consider myself a friend and if your friends cant criticise you and tell you when they think your out of order then you may as well not have any friends .....

Yes meet up in the new year would be good x
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a text from someone else there busy at work, i wont post it

stewart38
3rd-January-2006, 12:35 PM

I'd be interested to hear how its going too.

I on the other hand, tend to keep dancing until the queue dies down a bit, then join the end of the queue, and there is generally always plenty left, unless you have a room full of greedy selfish people who each help themselves to 3 cakes, then leave 1 and a half on a plate only to be chucked in the bin at the end of the night! If everybody in the queue just took one, there'd be plenty for all, and probably seconds, after they've finished the first, and the queue should be very controllable.

Given Ive been helping myself to about 8 cakes at each dance venue over christmas ive gained about 6lbs , leaving no plate empty :sad:

Bit still 8lbs less then when I started

Ill go back on track now :yeah: and leave some cake for others :hug: