PDA

View Full Version : Open Jive Championships 2003 - Blackpool

Will
19th-October-2002, 01:08 AM
Everyone,

I was just wondering, as someone who dances in London and so doesn't know many of you, who is planning to go the Open Jive Championships run by Chance2Dance in Blackpool on 1st March?

I would have thought that due to its location it should have a fair few people from both London and Scotland. For those of you who don't know about it, it is (I'm told) 2nd only to The Ceroc National Championships in terms of size and prestige.

I'm really looking forward to it, and hopefully to putting names to faces of people who post here.

(I'm sure you'll all be buzzing and gagging for another big Competition after the Scottish Champs this weekend - Best of luck to everyone by the way)

Gus
19th-October-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Will
Everyone,
For those of you who don't know about it, it is (I'm told) 2nd only to The Ceroc National Championships in terms of size and prestige.

Sorry Will but its second to NONE, especialy Ceroc Champs. The Ceroc Champs don't allow teachers to enter ... and there is some latent ill feeling to Ceroc London ... hence all the better dancers are at Blackpool. Also, the panel of judges is without compare, not just restricted to Ceroc teachers.

Personal view only of course:wink:

Will
20th-October-2002, 05:30 PM
Well I've not been to blackpool yet, but I am so looking forward to it next year. I guess I'll be able to make up my own mind then.

I know Ceroc don't allow teachers to enter which I think is a shame, but it isn't like all those ceroc teachers then go and dance in Bristol or Blackpool (or am I wrong about that?). I can't comment on the judges, but as far as I could make out, Ceroc had the strongest line of competitors, ie. James & Hayley, Ray & Sophie, Clayton & Janine. (of course at the end of the day that's just my opinion and it is very subjective)

As for this latent anti-ceroc London feeling, I can't comment on it as I don't really know what it is about, but I do occassionally come across Anti-Ceroc feeling in general that really feels like it's based on envy which I think is very unfortunate. Ceroc & other dance organisations all make business for one another (I am living proof of that!), so it seems futile for them to start slagging each other off.

Now donning my flame-proof jacket. :eek:

Ste
21st-October-2002, 12:44 AM
Will

I saw the videos for Blackpool and Hammersmith 2002 , certainly intermediate competition and my recollection was that Blackpool was higher standard.

Overall I agree that Ceroc has helpd to create business for the other movements. I only went to other jive organisation events because of starting off at Ceroc.

I think one of the gripes is that Ceroc does not seem to promote other organisations whereas other organisations do promote each other ( remember all the bumph on one of the desks at Bristol Leroc?)....but then you have to remember that Ceroc is very much quality control quality control quality control. That's one of the reasons why if you go to Ceroc with an open mind ( and you aren't upset about something in your personal life etc ) you are almost guaranteed a good night. I have usually gone to say Fulham wondering if I am doing the right thing and after getting there, am really glad that I went.

How many people actually go to Blackpool?

By the way what is the Blitz organisation like? Does anyone here dance on Merseyside? Does anyone here do Latin American Ballroom?Whoops thats changing the subject...sorry.

DavidB
21st-October-2002, 01:03 AM
(I've never competed at either, and have never had the chance to go to the Blackpool comp, so this is more an impression based on what other people tell me.) From talking to competitors, Blackpool has the better reputation. It seems to be run more as a competition, and is the one that people would want to go back to and defend their title. (The Ceroc comp unfortunately has a reputation for this not being possible). For spectators, both events seem to have a good party atmosphere, plenty of dancing, and a good show.

There has been anti-Ceroc sentiment for years. Ceroc have never helped themselves in the way they get on with other dance styles, teachers and organisations. They appear to have a belief that their teacher selection and training guarantees excellence - whereas it just gives consistency. Ceroc haven't provided any leadership in developing Jive - there is little difference between what people do now, and what they did 10 years ago. There are just new moves and new music. And there are a lot of ex-Ceroc teachers around that have 'issues' with Ceroc HQ.

However a lot of people appreciate that Ceroc are responsible for more people dancing Jive in the UK than any other organisation. They do provide a standard that you can judge against, and you always know what to expect when you go to a Ceroc night. If I'm going somewhere different for any reason, I'll always look for a Ceroc night...

Comparisons between Ceroc and Microsoft are quite valid. Both supply a product that may not be the absolute best, but is good enough, and more importantly is what people want. And both are successful businesses.

David

Bill
21st-October-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
(I've never competed at either, and have never had the chance to go to the Blackpool comp, so this is more an impression based on what other people tell me.) .I've been to both and I have to say.though this may be disloyal, :sad: that I prefer Blackpool for several reasons.one being the size of the venue. The Ceroc venue is too small for the number of people who attend. Freestyle has become a nightmare and indeed pretty dangerous and spectating is difficult so a good view is limited. In Blackpool it's possible to get a good 'ring side' seat at a table with friends and there's plenty of room to dance.

Although Gus has mentioned that the judges are more experienced and are on the whole respected dancers in their own right my main concern on this score is that there is a small 'fraternity' amongst the 'best' dancers ( or the most competitive ?) and the judges tend to know virtually everyone who gets to the final - indeed some of the judges will have helped teach or develop some of the competitors so there may be a charge in some quarters of bias/nepotism ???? :eek. Even if this is unfounded it could be difficult to refute completely.
Comparisons between Ceroc and Microsoft are quite valid. Both supply a product that may not be the absolute best, but is good enough, and more importantly is what people want. And both are successful businesses.

David Agreed. All of us who have been through the Ceroc classes owe a huge debt to Ceroc for getting us started and whatever our gripes might be we still attend and enjoy the nigths and the parties. Thousands of people have benefited from Ceroc - friendships formed, relationships developed and a lot of fun been had so thanks to Ceroc...but like Microsoft it isn't the only product on the market and a little competition is not a bad thing.
:eek:

Franck
21st-October-2002, 12:09 PM
Comparisons between Ceroc and Microsoft are quite valid. Both supply a product that may not be the absolute best, but is good enough, and more importantly is what people want. And both are successful businesses.Ouch David, that really hurts :wink: As an Apple man myself, being compared to Microsoft is the biggest insult you could lay at my door! :really: I get comfort from the fact that Ceroc is in the business of making people happy and realise their potential (rather than make people's life a misery in the case of Microsoft :wink: )
I take your point though, and indeed agree with most of what you said. The Ceroc Champs is a brilliant event and I love the buzz there every year, but it is let down badly by the venue. I have heard rumours of a possible change of venue for 2003, so let's keep our fingers crossed!
Re. our attitude to other (competing?) organizations, we have been guilty of that in the past, but I have to say, that usually we have stayed clear of the under-hand tactics used by the competition :sad: As you and a few other have mentioned, dancing is a business whether we like it or not, and everyone struggles for survival! It is not easy to start and maintain a successful night (though it might appear that way once a night is established).
Times are changing though, and there is a much more open attitude generally. As you say, Ceroc like to focus on quality control, and in the past, a lot of other (so-called) modern jive organization, were no more than a guy (or girl) who thought they could teach because they were reasonably popular dancers :sad:
As the Modern-Jive scene is maturing, the "Cow-boys" are being weeded out in favour of really good alternatives, and starting with that forum, I would hope we could all live together happily and, as Will said, we all make business for each other!

Franck.

Franck
21st-October-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by bill foreman
All of us who have been through the Ceroc classes owe a huge debt to Ceroc for getting us started and whatever our gripes might be we still attend and enjoy the nigths and the parties. Thousands of people have benefited from Ceroc - friendships formed, relationships developed and a lot of fun been had so thanks to Ceroc...I would like to add to that. Ceroc is also one of the few organisations who have the will, clout and supporting structure to open in new territories. When Ceroc started to become successfull in Scotland, I once vowed that I would get the whole of Scotland dancing, and I am slowly getting there.
Once we have opened a successful night, and therefore created a market for dance classes, other organizations latch on and provide alternatives and choice, but often, Ceroc will have been there first.

Franck.

DavidB
21st-October-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Ouch David, that really hurts :wink: As an Apple man myself, being compared to Microsoft is the biggest insult you could lay at my door!The alternative was McDonalds...

Franck
21st-October-2002, 12:56 PM
The alternative was McDonalds... and I thought you were a nice man too :sick:
It is great to be seen to be as successful as the afore-mentionned companies, but, we are nowhere near as successful as Microsoft or McDonalds (I wish!), though what we offer is miles better and will improve your life!

Franck.

Gus
21st-October-2002, 03:50 PM
Ouch David, that really hurts :wink: As an Apple man myself, being compared to Microsoft is the biggest insult you could lay at my door! :really: Frank ... there is no comparison between Ceroc HQ/Londno and Ceroc Scotland ..... Ceroc Scotland seems to me to have followed the original principles of Ceroc .. a dance for all. Over the last three months I've trogged up to Scotland three times because its a joy to be at your clubs. Getting to London is far easier for me but I would never contemplate traveling down there just to dance at a Ceroc venue.

Personal view of course:wink:

Gus
21st-October-2002, 04:12 PM
I can't comment on the judges, but as far as I could make out, Ceroc had the strongest line of competitors, ie. James & Hayley, Ray & Sophie, Clayton & Janine. (of course at the end of the day that's just my opinion and it is very subjective) Sorry Will but;

a) Clayon and Janine and Ray were at Blackpool

b) youre doing a great disservice to the Blitz, LeRoc and independant instructors and some of my own dancers who are on a level with the dancers who you've mentioned (and in fact who have beaten some of them in the past).

sexyjiver
29th-October-2002, 02:11 PM
Ste

Ceroc used to have a very strong representation in the North West of England. The franchise was held by Marc Almond, who decided to change all the Ceroc venues to Blitz. So Blitz is Ceroc with a swing twist. I have been Cerocing at Blitz venues for about 6 years, but always hope Ceroc will return soon. Blitz have a venue on Merseyside ish, at Bromborough on the Wirral. Octel Club.

Jonathan

Dreadful Scathe
29th-October-2002, 07:16 PM
Well, Im about to go to Ceroc in Bracknell - wonder if its any good :)

Gus
30th-October-2002, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Well, Im about to go to Ceroc in Bracknell - wonder if its any good :)

Well ... how was it?

I've had the pleasure of dancing at a few venues west of London and so far found them to be of a high standard and pretty friendly. Especialy liked Annalise's venues, but them again I'm baised ... wonderfull person, great DJ and nice teacher .. what more could you want?

Dreadful Scathe
30th-October-2002, 07:42 PM
See my other thread Dodgy Ceroc Website
- it wasn't Ceroc but i was still good, quite a few really good dancers there. i really should take dance shoes with me - these 'normal' shoes are too wide I was far worse than normal :/ :confused:

best venue Ive been to is probably cricklewood in London. Only time Ive been totally confused by an intermediate class :D and fantastic standard of dancing there

TheTramp
21st-December-2002, 12:12 PM
Franck ... there is no comparison between Ceroc HQ/London and Ceroc Scotland ..... Ceroc Scotland seems to me to have followed the original principles of Ceroc .. a dance for all. Over the last three months I've trogged up to Scotland three times because its a joy to be at your clubs. Getting to London is far easier for me but I would never contemplate traveling down there just to dance at a Ceroc venue.Can I just say how much I agree with this. Not so surprisingly :D Will be up in Scotland again very soon :)

Steve

Gus
21st-December-2002, 12:46 PM
Forgotten all about this thread.

So ... who's going. after having had the entry forms for a few months foinally got round to filling them in and entering. Just as well, heard that all sections are busy .... even the Advanced, rumour that they may have to limit entrants into this category!! If so thats a great sign that people are feeling confident enough to give the 'big time' a crack ...... should be a really open contest.

Having said that, I think that the main people who benefit are the causal dancers who enter the Dance With a Stranger and at a push go in for the intermediate just for a laugh. Its a chance to meet dancers from all over the UK with a wide range of ability and styles. Its also a great place to see some of the best dnacers in the UK. Last year I was quite happy to spend over half and hour up on the balcony floor just watching the dancefloor ... great dancing and great music.

So ... see ya there?

TheTramp
21st-December-2002, 01:30 PM
'Fraid I'll be there.

Will possibly be entering showcase, although, since we haven't started working out the routine yet, I'm not convinced. We'll possibly be a late entry, if there's spaces left.

Apart from that, I'll do DWAS I think. But will still be there to watch everything, and hopefully to get lots of freestyle dances. Having not really enjoyed it last year (it was a fab event, it was me who wasn't really up for it), I'm hoping that it's going to be great in 2003.

Steve

Gus
22nd-January-2003, 03:58 PM
So ... whos going to the MAIN competition of the year (IMHO):wink: All those who went last year had a cracking time and got to see the best dancers in the UK .... with no restrictions for the advanced section.

Funny thing, looking back on the tape from last year I've recognised loads of faces from Scotland (though of course I didn't know you guys then). At one point in DWAS I had Sheena dancing on one side of me and Dreadfull Scathe on the other.

Sounds like a load of us are booked into nearby Hotels so regardless of win or lose .... there will be some SERIOUS partying on the Saturday night!

The question is ... will Sheena be wearing her 'strokeables'?

TheTramp
22nd-January-2003, 04:00 PM
I'm afraid that I'll be there.

Steve

Gus
22nd-January-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I'm afraid that I'll be there.

Steve

And as your partner in last year's Advanced is now about 8.5 months pregnant (nothing to do with you I'm assuming) which lucky lass (or lad) will be participating with you this year. Are you going for all titles again this year? ...i.e. DWAS, AirSteps, Cabaret?

Jayne
22nd-January-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm going!

John S
22nd-January-2003, 04:16 PM
Yep, I'll be there - along with at least 20 from Dundee that I know of, maybe more.

Gus
22nd-January-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by John S
Yep, I'll be there - along with at least 20 from Dundee that I know of, maybe more.

As an Official Honorary Dundonian ... please count me in on the party. Who's bedroom are we going back to .... have we volunteered FC yet:devil:

DavidB
22nd-January-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Sounds like a load of us are booked into nearby Hotels so regardless of win or lose .... there will be some SERIOUS partying on the Saturday night!Which hotels are people staying in? We are probably coming up (with Robert Cordoba) but don't know where to stay.

David

Steven
22nd-January-2003, 04:52 PM
As long as its not my room this time I don't mind!!!

(remembers corks hitting the ceiling red wine on the carpet and walls!)

Cheers

Steven

:cheers:

Jayne
22nd-January-2003, 05:09 PM
Which hotels are people staying in? We are probably coming up (with Robert Cordoba) but don't know where to stay.

David

We were lazy and just booked the "silver package" through C2D, so we're staying in whatever hotel comes with that...

Jayne
:nice:

Sal
22nd-January-2003, 06:03 PM
Looks like there are going to be around ten of us making the trek from Aberdeen.

Can't speak for the others, but I went for the easy option and booked through C2D.

Can't wait!!

trout
22nd-January-2003, 06:12 PM
when is it? (the Blackpool thing)

Gus
22nd-January-2003, 07:08 PM
The main competition is on Saturday 1st March but the fun starts the previous night with a freestyle party.

For more details, follow this link http://www.chancetwodance.co.uk/5441.html

Looks like the full Tartan Army will be there this year.

Will
23rd-January-2003, 01:20 AM
I'm there, and booked into the Gold package too darlings! Can't wait.......

TheTramp
23rd-January-2003, 01:53 AM
Hiya Gus

Just doing the Advanced this year - with Laili from Bristol.

Oh, well, will probably do the DWAS too :D

See you there. Shame you can't make it up for the 8th!

Steve

filthycute
23rd-January-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Gus
As an Official Honorary Dundonian ... please count me in on the party. Who's bedroom are we going back to .... have we volunteered FC yet:devil:

Hell yeah!! feel free!! :wink:

Most of the MAd. tartan army are staying in the same place so i'm sure we'll have no problems getting a party started :D:D:D

filthycute x x

Scot
30th-January-2003, 05:39 PM
I wasn't going to go to this because basically I never have much time.

However with so many people from Scotland going down I guess it would be remiss of be not to come down and give some support.

Good Luck to everyone competing

Scot

www.ceroc.info

Gus
31st-January-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Scot

However with so many people from Scotland going down I guess it would be remiss of be not to come down and give some support.
www.ceroc.info

Excellent .. at this rate there will be more Ceroc teachers there from Scotland than the whole of the rest of the UK. I think I know where the party crowd will be!:waycool:

So ... who is hosting the Saturday night party?:grin:

Bill
2nd-February-2003, 03:58 PM
Thought I would just add another comment about last year's results. I know we've covered this before and the judging of events elsewhere but having looked at the video again last night I still feel a little agrieved !:eek: :rolleyes:

I think C& J deserved to win. On the day they were well ahead but I think at least two couples were in the final due to their reputation rather than their dancing on the day and it'll be very interesting to see who competes this year.

As we've managed to get in an hour's practice so far and none at all for the double trouble I have a feeling I'll have plenty of time to watch and cheer on all the Scottish competitors ( and the honourary Scots of course :wink: :D ).

Can't wait to see everyone there.

TheTramp
2nd-February-2003, 04:46 PM
and the honourary Scots of course Do I get be included in this prestigious list??

Steve

Tiggerbabe
2nd-February-2003, 06:14 PM
Only if you can dramatically improve your sentence construction before then!

:what: :reallymad :wink:

Heather
2nd-February-2003, 11:53 PM
:D :D I'll second that, Sheena!!!!!!!
Heather,
:kiss:

P.S I'll venture to say that the Saturday night party will be wherever the Dundee MAd squad end up!!!:wink: :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-February-2003, 11:11 AM
Do I get be included in this prestigious list??

Steve

honourary Scot be you included yes :)

Sal
3rd-February-2003, 11:37 AM
honourary Scot be you included yes :)

Looks like Yoda has been teaching sentence structure again.

TheTramp
3rd-February-2003, 08:51 PM
Do I get be included in this prestigious list??Okie, so I forgot the word 'to'. It's just a little word. I'd have thought that people of your intelligence would have managed to work it out. But obviously not :rolleyes: :D

I'll be more careful in future! :na:

Steve

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
5th-February-2003, 11:34 AM
Anyone know if the Blackpool comp. has places left? I heard it was booked out, but there are 3 of us, we want to do the 'dance with a weirdo' section...

Dreadful Scathe
5th-February-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Siobhan
[B}we want to do the 'dance with a weirdo' section... [/B]

Its not guaranteed you get a weirdo - you may get to dance with theTramp (!) :D

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
5th-February-2003, 11:55 AM
I live in hope

:innocent:

Gus
5th-February-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Siobhan
Anyone know if the Blackpool comp. has places left? I heard it was booked out, but there are 3 of us, we want to do the 'dance with a weirdo' section...

Just email them ... the Chance to Dance team are a pretty friendly bunch ... they'll let you know what the current situation is.

filthycute
5th-February-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Heather
:D :D I'll second that, Sheena!!!!!!!
Heather,

P.S I'll venture to say that the Saturday night party will be wherever the Dundee MAd squad end up!!!:wink: :wink:

Well since i have the biggest room......

LETS DO IT!!!!! :D :D :wink:

Details from the MAd. Squad

filthycute x x

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 06:25 PM
Its not guaranteed you get a weirdo - you may get to dance with theTramp I thought that it was dance with a weirdo if you got me, else it was merely dance with a stranger.

Anyhow, I'm entered as a female in the DWAS competition, so you never know DS, YOU may get me :D

I live in hopeI'll look forward to it, Siobhan.

Steve

PS. Was just kidding about the female entry into the DWAS thing. I'm actually entered as a chicken!! :D

Debster
5th-February-2003, 07:57 PM

PS. Was just kidding about the female entry into the DWAS thing. I'm actually entered as a chicken!! :D

Ah - the whole bird thing is so DONE! Couldn't you at least be a March Hare ! :D :D

And you better save me a freestyle at the end!! ;)

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 08:01 PM
Okie. So I was kidding about the chicken thing too.

I'm actually entered as the egg :D

Steve

TheTramp
5th-February-2003, 08:02 PM
Oops.

Forgot to say that I'd love to get a freestyle at the end.

Maybe you won't turn me down this time then?? :na:

Steve

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
5th-February-2003, 08:41 PM
If chickens are entering- surely foxes are allowed?:confused:

Emma
13th-February-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm going too..have booked the 'tin' package at some B&B... :)

Looking forward to meeting up and dancing with everyone!

Dreadful Scathe
13th-February-2003, 03:49 PM
Someone set up a 'Forum Corner' :)

Jayne
13th-February-2003, 04:55 PM
Someone set up a 'Forum Corner' :)

Who knows the venue and hence can suggest a suitable meeting place? I've only got very vagure memories from when I was last there two and a half years ago... What do people reckon would be a good time - straight after the prizes?

J :grin: (grinning 'coz a small part of work has worked - hurrah!)

TheTramp
13th-February-2003, 04:59 PM
Straight after the prizes? You mean that you're going to avoid the rest of us all day. I think the prize-giving is around 9pm, but we'll all be there from midday....

Steve

Jayne
13th-February-2003, 05:05 PM
Straight after the prizes? You mean that you're going to avoid the rest of us all day. I think the prize-giving is around 9pm, but we'll all be there from midday....

Steve

Yeah but people will be busy competing and getting through rounds earlier in the day, whereas if we wait until after the prizes no-one will be running about doing costume changes, waiting to be called etc and we can have five minutes to sit down, grab a drink in celebration/commiseration and blether. Maybe? It was just a suggestion...

J :nice:

TheTramp
13th-February-2003, 05:15 PM
Ah.....

Well, we'll all be sitting down somewhere during the day - I'd sort of assumed that all the Scots (and honourary Scots) would be sitting down in one place together. I guess that most of the Scottish people going down there are on the forum, so the Scottish corner will become the forum corner.

It's quite a laid back day really. Lots of time for freestyle dancing. So I hope you'll have a few dances with me :D

Steve

Bill
13th-February-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Emma
I'm going too..have booked the 'tin' package at some B&B... :)

Looking forward to meeting up and dancing with everyone!

and we'll all hold you to that. You'll have to come and make yourself know the Scottish crowd (wherever we are all sitting!).

Look forward to a dance.......:D :wink:

Dancing Veela
13th-February-2003, 05:45 PM
Ah.....

Well, we'll all be sitting down somewhere during the day - I'd sort of assumed that all the Scots (and honourary Scots) would be sitting down in one place together. I guess that most of the Scottish people going down there are on the forum, so the Scottish corner will become the forum corner.

Steve

Ok then it sounds like a plan - Forum Corner at Scottish Corner (not Scotch Corner) just after the prize giving (which all the Scots will be receiving I'm sure!!!!!!!!)

Gus
13th-February-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Dancing Veela
Ok then it sounds like a plan - Forum Corner at Scottish Corner (not Scotch Corner) just after the prize giving (which all the Scots will be receiving I'm sure!!!!!!!!)

Sounds like a good idea ... count me in for the meet up!

Will
14th-February-2003, 01:53 AM
moi aussi.....

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 02:04 AM
Will.....

I didn't realise that you were Australian.

Have you changed your alliegence after the recent cricket, tennis, football (did I miss anything?) results??

Steve

John S
14th-February-2003, 02:06 AM
moi aussi.....

Gosh - yet another Forum member from Down Under!
:nice:

Aaaaarrgh - The Tramp beat me by 2 minutes while I was carefully crafting my response to Will's message

Rachel
14th-February-2003, 10:57 AM
Hello again everyone! Look, I did it! I actually managed to break my forum addiction for ... oh, what is it? ... 6 weeks? Although I have to say that it was a very enforced break due to a nightmare of a workload lately. Oh God, I've missed you all!

Anyway, back on topic - I'm coming to Blackpool, too! Will be my first time there and I'm already so excited. Just the thought of a weekend away from here is brilliant, but to be able to combine that with dancing, with the biggest jive competition in the UK, and with the propect of meeting up with some of you makes it even better. Do keep us informed of the meet time/place - I can't wait to put faces to names. And, if I'm lucky, maybe get a dance with some of you???

Oh, and there's more - I've actually entered myself in the lucky dip. Something I thought I'd Never Ever do... I'm still not quite sure why I did it - probably because I spent so much time at Hammersmith last year just watching when I was itching to dance myself. I'm still not sure if it's a really bad idea for me to enter a competition, though - I'm scared already, so God only knows what I'll be like on the actual day - I'll probably panic and freeze up completely...

Sandy, did you decide to enter in the end? I know you were waivering, very much like me! Personally, I don't mind the thought of getting a partner who's a complete beginner or just plain 'bad' - what really scares me is the thought of getting someone really serious who's intent on winning, and the idea that I could let them down.

Are any of the Scottish cabaret teams entering? I'd love to see them after hearing so much on the forum. Oh, and anyone got any ideas how we can possibly persuade Janet to come down for the competition? Any volunteers to kidnap her from Glasgow?

Rachel

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Rachel

Do keep us informed of the meet time/place - I can't wait to put faces to names.

Wherever the Scots end up is where we'll be meeting - about a dance after the prize giving! (I've never been either so I can't give you more details than that).

Sheena, are you doing a sign??? If I remember I'll bring my Saltire with me!

Are any of the Scottish cabaret teams entering? I'd love to see them after hearing so much on the forum.

Rachel

I believe there are two Scottish teams entering - Sheena's Tartan Army from Dundee (quite a crew from the Forum - Sheena can list their names). And then another team (who haven't finalised their name yet - or their routine !!!!!) who are kinda from all over Scotland with Forum members of : DS, Brady, Lisa, Niall and myself, along with Heather's sister Wendy (it's all her fault!) and some other wonderful dancers :wink:

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 11:11 AM
Welcome back Rachel. We've missed you too.

Be great to see you at Blackpool. Some guy is going to be very lucky in the lucky dip. Is that too many uses of the word 'lucky' in one sentence Heather? Anyone who is entering the lucky dip with a serious intent to win is really missing the idea of that particular competition, which is most definitely to have fun. Having said that, anyone who is seriously entering to win would be delighted to be matched up with you.

There are two Scottish cabaret teams entering. With just a little friendly rivalry :D

And if you can come up with a plan to kidnap Janet and bring her along, I'll help in any way you want :)

Steve

Gus
14th-February-2003, 11:30 AM

Oh, and there's more - I've actually entered myself in the lucky dip. Something I thought I'd Never Ever do... ?

Rachel

Well done! I think the Lucky Dip is the best part of the day, best fun, some of the best dancing.

Is Marc competing again .. havn't seen him in action since him and Donna came 2nd in the Intermedaites in 2001.

Rachel
14th-February-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Well done! I think the Lucky Dip is the best part of the day, best fun, some of the best dancing.

Is Marc competing again .. havn't seen him in action since him and Donna came 2nd in the Intermedaites in 2001.

Yes, I just hope that I'll get into the right spirit of things for the lucky dip myself so I can relax and enjoy it. And thanks, Steve, for your very kind comments!

Marc is just doing the lucky dip this year. Shame he's not doing more, really ... He was saying - wouldn't it be ironic if him and me ended up being partners in the lucky dip - but surely that couldn't be allowed, could it? I can't see how they'd regulate it, but it would seem so unfair, given that Marc and I dance 3 or 4 times a week together ....

I'm not sure if Donna's competing this year, but she's always great to watch dancing, too.

Best go for now ... but my excitement about the whole event has grown even more now that I'm able to talk to other people about it (work colleagues just don't understand ...)

Oh, and if anyone's still looking at getting accomodation, there are some great looking self-catering holiday flats which we're booked into, if anyone wants details. They're on the same road as the Winter Gardens and much cheaper than a hotel - £35 a night for two people - or, unofficially, however many of you you want to fit in!!

Rachel

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 12:11 PM
No probs Rachel. I was just being honest :)

As for getting Marc in the Lucky dip. I don't see why that wouldn't be allowed. That's the whole point of the word 'lucky'. At the ceroc champs in 2001, I was stood next to a guy I knew, who ended up with his wife in the lucky dip. He said that he didn't think it was fair, and asked if I'd swap. I didn't - and they went out first or second round, and I did a little better than that :wink: To swap partners once they've been randomly allocated wouldn't be keeping in with the spirit of lucky dip I think....

Are you staying at the Fernleigh flats?? That's where we're booked into - at the same price as you, on Adelaide St. If so, party at your place on the Saturday night :D

Steve

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
14th-February-2003, 12:28 PM
Anyone any idea how many people from north of the border are going to this?? From what I can gather there seems to be about 40!

Rachel
14th-February-2003, 02:05 PM
Are you staying at the Fernleigh flats?? That's where we're booked into - at the same price as you, on Adelaide St. If so, party at your place on the Saturday night :D

Steve Yes, those are the ones!

When you say we, do you mean you and Laine?

Party? YES! I'm already planning on being the last one dancing and preparing myself for getting no sleep whatsoever that night - even though I'll be having to drive straight down to Cardiff on the Sunday for a couple of days work there from Monday.

(Oops, perhaps I ought to speak to Marc first before agreeing to a party at ours ...)

R x

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 02:19 PM
Ummm. Yeah. Myself and Laili, and her bf Andrew, and another friend Caroline. And there's another 4 dancing people in another flat there that I know of. So, I guess the building will be rocking! :)

I'm already planning on being the last one dancing So, that'll mean that you and I will be having the last song then (and hopefully more before that!).

even though I'll be having to drive straight down to Cardiff Lucky you!!

Oops, perhaps I ought to speak to Marc first before agreeing to a party at ours Nah. But if he objects, then we'll just go to ours. And if all those object, they can just go sleep with Marc, while we party. :D

Steve

Rachel
14th-February-2003, 02:26 PM
[B]Laili Sorry, yes, Laili.

Lucky you!! Well, nice in a way, but I won't have any time to investigate the dancing down there cos I have to be back in Peterborough for Wednesday night.

they can just go sleep with Marc
Is that, sleep 'with' Marc, or just, sleep 'as Marc will also be doing at that time'????

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 02:36 PM
Is that, sleep 'with' Marc, or just, sleep 'as Marc will also be doing at that time'????Whichever :devil: :D

Steve

Rachel
14th-February-2003, 02:40 PM
Whichever :devil: :D

Steve Hmmmm! Well, I guess it will depend on how good a time I'm having at our party as to whether I'd mind or not ...

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm gonna keep the sweet and innocent image that everyone has of me, and just not go there.... :innocent:

Steve

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 05:12 PM
I'm gonna keep the sweet and innocent image that everyone has of me, and just not go there.... :innocent:

Steve

Now you just made me choke on my coffee!!!!!!!

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 05:18 PM
Just what are you trying to say then Avril?? :innocent:

Steve

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 05:29 PM
Just what are you trying to say then April?? :innocent:

Steve

I was just re-calling our conversation on Friday night!!!!!!!! Also careful with your spelling - Heather will be on your case ;)

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 05:33 PM
Damn. What did I say in our conversation on Friday night?? You Scottish women are all taking advantage of me when I'm sleepy :tears:

Steve

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 05:43 PM
Damn. What did I say in our conversation on Friday night?? You Scottish women are all taking advantage of me when I'm sleepy :tears:

Steve

and you hate being taken advantage of by Scottish women?????? Oh well come Blackpool I promise not to take advantage :sad:

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 05:46 PM
Just what are you trying to say then Avril?? :innocent:

Steve

Nice recovery - but almost too subtle Steve!!!! Oh wow !!!!! Who'd ever have thought that you could use the words 'subtle' and 'Steve' in the same sentance???????

Heather
14th-February-2003, 07:16 PM
:sick: Surely you mean 'sentence', Avril ?:sad:
Never thought I'd have to pick you up on spelling mistakes!!!!

Heather,

TheTramp
14th-February-2003, 07:28 PM
Steve would have pointed that out, but Steve is too subtle.

(Okie, so I had to speak about myself in the 3rd person, but I got the words 'Steve' and 'subtle' into the same sentence. Without any spelling mistakes).

Steve

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 08:09 PM
:sick: Surely you mean 'sentence', Avril ?:sad:
Never thought I'd have to pick you up on spelling mistakes!!!!

Heather,

I'm surprised this is your first time - my spelling is awful (I refused to take part in a sponsored spell at school because of it) - that said, I've never seen such bad spelling/grammer as on this forum!!!!

Dancing Veela
14th-February-2003, 08:12 PM
Steve would have pointed that out, but Steve is too subtle.

(Okie, so I had to speak about myself in the 3rd person, but I got the words 'Steve' and 'subtle' into the same sentence. Without any spelling mistakes).

Steve

Steve just blew his subtleness (sorry if that spelling is wrong!)- which proves my point!!!!!!!

Tiggerbabe
15th-February-2003, 10:53 AM
Sheena, are you doing a sign??? If I remember I'll bring my Saltire with me!

I'll see what I can do Avril but I think they might manage to figure out where we all are without one :wink: - I've got my saltire flag looked out too - and the lion rampant one

14 DAYS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dancing Veela
17th-February-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
I'll see what I can do Avril but I think they might manage to figure out where we all are without one :wink: - I've got my saltire flag looked out too - and the lion rampant one

14 DAYS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers: Ignore my question in your inbox :grin:

It'll all be over in 14 days!!!!!!

Rachel
17th-February-2003, 10:57 AM
Wherever the Scots end up is where we'll be meeting - about a dance after the prize giving! How about at the Friday dance? Any chance of a forum meet there - are many people going to that?
Rachel

(Oh, Emma, if you're reading this, I approached a lady at Berkhamstead last night thinking she might be you - red hair, 5'2 'ish, glasses. Turned out she wasn't you, but she was ever so nice! Oh well, maybe I'll just wait for Blackpool before approaching anyone else with, 'Excuse me, but you're not ...?')

Gus
17th-February-2003, 11:02 AM
How about at the Friday dance? Any chance of a forum meet there - are many people going to that?
Rachel Yup ... main item on the agenda is arranging the Saturday night/Sunday morning party (venue - FC's room:devil: )

Emma
17th-February-2003, 11:34 AM
(Oh, Emma, if you're reading this, I approached a lady at Berkhamstead last night thinking she might be you - red hair, 5'2 'ish, glasses. Turned out she wasn't you, but she was ever so nice! Oh well, maybe I'll just wait for Blackpool before approaching anyone else with, 'Excuse me, but you're not ...?') Hee hee, Hi Rachel! No, I've never been to Berkhamstead, she must have been one of the many Emma decoys I have sent around the country.. (er..maybe not...)

I ought to be pretty easy to spot in Blackpool - I'll be the one with a stand selling prints! Either that or I'll be the one standing behind a pillar spying on the Scottish lot whilst I gather the courage to say Hi... :) :)

Rachel
17th-February-2003, 11:43 AM
Hee hee, Hi Rachel! No, I've never been to Berkhamstead, she must have been one of the many Emma decoys I have sent around the country.. (er..maybe not...)

I ought to be pretty easy to spot in Blackpool - I'll be the one with a stand selling prints! Either that or I'll be the one standing behind a pillar spying on the Scottish lot whilst I gather the courage to say Hi... :) :) I'm looking forward to seeing your prints! Just, you won't do anything to confuse us, like dying your hair a different colour or anything, will you? I always look out for anyone with red hair, whenever I'm dancing in London.
R.

Keith
17th-February-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys,
Long time no speak! Keith here back from Chance 2 Dance, having a couple of mins break, thanks to Rachael.
As I for one will not recognize a lot of your faces, we are having the "Hot Spot" at the competition, to launch each round & take Male applicants for the Take a Chance category, if not sold out, as if! Anyway, as I will be stuck on this for part of Friday night, why don't we all meet up there and have our own little party night? You will find me Right of stage as you face it.
Any body in the competition on Saturday, don't forget mine’s a Budweiser. :wink:
Look forward to seeing you all there & don't forget the Welsh have made the most noise over the past two years!

Keith

How about at the Friday dance? Any chance of a forum meet there - are many people going to that?
Rachel

(Oh, Emma, if you're reading this, I approached a lady at Berkhamstead last night thinking she might be you - red hair, 5'2 'ish, glasses. Turned out she wasn't you, but she was ever so nice! Oh well, maybe I'll just wait for Blackpool before approaching anyone else with, 'Excuse me, but you're not ...?') :wink:

TheTramp
17th-February-2003, 12:46 PM
Are you saying that Welsh people are loud Keith?? :rolleyes:

Steve

Keith
17th-February-2003, 12:52 PM
Not in that sense,
They know how to have a good time & make their presence felt.
Which I am sure our Scottish Friends will be able to at least match this year.
Stop trying to get me in to trouble & go & do some work!
Keith

Emma
17th-February-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your prints! Just, you won't do anything to confuse us, like dying your hair a different colour or anything, will you? I always look out for anyone with red hair, whenever I'm dancing in London.
R.

Heh, no, I'm pretty sure the hair will still be red!

Here's a little blatant self-promotion: :sorry

Emma Clark Prints website (http://www.emmaclarkprints.co.uk)

Obviously I accept pre-orders and commissions....
:grin: :wink: :wink: :kiss:

TheTramp
17th-February-2003, 01:07 PM
Stop trying to get me in to trouble & go & do some work!You're already in trouble matey! Remember that I am Welsh! :D

Oh, and if I had some work to do, then I'd be away doing it!!

Steve

Bill
17th-February-2003, 04:31 PM
Well I may not have any new moves for Blackpool but I could be wearing some new trousers :D :wink: purchased at Brighton weekend.

Had a really 'fabby' time ( to quote a dear friend) down at Brighton over the weekend and now sitting at a desk trying to look as if I'm working :grin:

Some great tips and moves from V&L and N&N as usual and unfortunately couldn't get to some of the other workshops but already forgotten most of the moves.......which is why there won't be any new ones at Blackpool :tears: :sick:

Ah well............... I'll be there on the Friday night so hope to be able to put faces to all these names. Looking forward to having a great weekend and lots of fun.
:D :cheers:

Heather
17th-February-2003, 10:32 PM
:D The MAd Crew are staying at the Deneside Hotel and are occupying the entire hotel, the MAd Saturday /Sunday party will more than likely be in the Hotel lounge and not in FC's room as she is all luvved up (for those of you who don't know already!!!) .
Anyway, the last two MAd parties have been in Sherwin and Steve's room, and it's becoming a bit of a tradition to decorate their walls with red wine!!:sick: :sorry

Heather,

Heather
17th-February-2003, 10:37 PM
:D .......Don't lurk behind a pillar!!!! We may be slightly MAd, but we're not bad and dangerous to know.:wink:
Just come on over and introduce yourself, you are certain to get a friendly welcome!!! Especially from Sheena, Melanie (FC), Linda and myself!!!
Heather,

John S
18th-February-2003, 01:22 AM

Anyway, the last two MAd parties have been in Sherwin and Steve's room, and it's becoming a bit of a tradition to decorate their walls with red wine!!:sick: :sorry

Heather,

As the whole hotel is booked in my name, I think this is a tradition that needs strangled at birth before it gets any older!!!!

John S (for Spoilsport!!!!!)

Carla
18th-February-2003, 02:12 PM
I looked on the chance 2 dance website and we want to book the 'silver' level/package. Will this mean we will all be in the same hotel (i.e. everyone else who I know has booked the silver package?).

Anyone know?

Keith
18th-February-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi Carla,
Yes, everybody on the Silver package are in one Hotel, as are all those booked on the Gold.
Should be two great parties going off Friday & Saturday night!
Keith :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
18th-February-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey Keith

Whats up with www.danceindex.com? you said on 4th December last year ...
I am launching what should be the largest single contact point for dance in the UK, it will go live in about 3 weeks And its still 'Coming Soon' - you going to be finished it before UK Open ? Would be best time to announce it. Need a hand ? :)

Jayne
18th-February-2003, 04:42 PM
This'll probably be my last post before the comp (how will I cope for so long without the forum???!! :what: ) so I just wanted to say

GOOD LUCK!!!

to everyone competing (strictly for fun, mind :wink: ) and I'll see you all at the party a week on Friday!

Jayne

Emma
18th-February-2003, 09:26 PM
(Stevie Wong was in it) Now...why is this not surprising, I wonder.... :wink:

I hope this Wong fellow is going to be at Blackpool, I need to put a face to all the fullsome (erm, or should that be Willsome...) praise! :grin:

Will
19th-February-2003, 01:49 AM
He should be there. It's unlikely he is going to compete. He was all lined up to dance with a VERY high profile female dancer who he has asked me not to name - suffice to say that she is an advanced champion, but because he's moved to Birmingham recently, they may not now be competing together after all.

Pity...

Debster
19th-February-2003, 01:54 AM
....I always look out for anyone with red hair, whenever I'm dancing in London.
R.
ooh - ooh - could be me too though ;)
I promise I am nice when approached with the "Excuse me, are you..." line too. :)

Looking forward to meeting a bunch more mad dance and forum addicts in Blackpool! (Especially later in the day when the nerves are gone and I can think straight and act 'normal' again!)

BTW - Nice web site Emma ;)

cheers,

Keith
19th-February-2003, 03:00 AM
Hey Keith

Whats up with www.danceindex.com? you said on 4th December last year ... And its still 'Coming Soon' - you going to be finished it before UK Open ? Would be best time to announce it. Need a hand ? :)

Sorry matey, :sad:
The competition has sort of taken precedence, but we are still building the contacts & hopefully it should be worth the wait.
Cheers :cheers:
Keith

Emma
19th-February-2003, 09:31 AM
See, now I'm just left wondering whether the fact that he's moved to Brimingham means she refused to dance with him, or if there's some rule I didn't see that says people who live in Birmingham can't compete....

:wink:

Will
19th-February-2003, 10:55 AM
Actually, it's because it is now very diffifcult for them to practice as his partner is London based.

TheTramp
19th-February-2003, 11:02 AM
Ack.

That's no reason at all :)

My partner is in Bristol.

Gus is in Manchester and Helen is in Huddersfield.

Bill is in Aberdeen and Fran is in Edinburgh.

Elliot is in Leeds and Della is in Birmingham.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure that there's more. It's not ideal, but no reason not to enter....! :na:

Steve

Gus
19th-February-2003, 12:16 PM
Actually, it's because it is now very diffifcult for them to practice as his partner is London based.

Practice??? Thats for wimps!:wink:

Anyway .. if this Champs partner is either of the two lasses I think it is I'm sure he'd have no problems. I take it he is stepping up to the Advanced Category?

TheTramp
19th-February-2003, 12:19 PM
if this Champs partner is either of the two lasses I think it is I'm sure he'd have no problemsWho were you thinking of then Gus?

The only one I could think of was Sophie - well, except for Janine, but I'm betting that she'll be dancing with Clay.

Steve

Gus
19th-February-2003, 12:29 PM
Who were you thinking of then Gus?

The only one I could think of was Sophie - well, except for Janine, but I'm betting that she'll be dancing with Clay.

Steve

Correct re Sophie ... but my second guess was Hayley.

Point still stands ... both experieneced competitors ... who needs to practice?

Rachel
19th-February-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Correct re Sophie ... but my second guess was Hayley. So if Sophie's with Steve W, what's Ray up to? Sophie and Ray had a great (and very successful!) dancing partnership, I thought.
Rachel

TheTramp
19th-February-2003, 12:41 PM
Sophie may not necessarily be dancing with Stevie. Gus and I are only supposing.

I think Gus meant that Sophie was a correct guess - in that it could be her. Rather than correct in that is is actually her.

Who is Hayley?? :D Remember I've been out of the London scene for a while now!

Steve

Gus
19th-February-2003, 12:49 PM
Ray was up dancing at Bowden a few weeks back and I was told he and Sophis no longer danced together and he wasn't competing at Blackpool ... don't know if Sophie is still on the dance circuit.

Re Hayley ... was refering to Hayley Mowday, came 2nd at Ceroc champs, ex-partner of the great Paul Tanuvasa ... very talented dancer. Thought she wasn't competing at Blackpool, though heard that her partner from Ceroc Champs, James, is competing with a certain very stylish member of this forum (I can say no more :really: )

TheTramp
19th-February-2003, 12:51 PM
Hmmm....

Okie, I should have said that I have heard of Hayley. Just never danced with her, or even seen her dance. Hopefully at Blackpool then if she comes (whether she's competing or not).

Steve

Will
19th-February-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Thought she wasn't competing at Blackpool, though heard that her partner from Ceroc Champs, James, is competing with a certain very stylish member of this forum (I can say no more :really: )

Indeed, and whilst I don't wish to step out of line and give away said female's identity, I will confirm that whilst I was dancing with her a couple of weeks ago, I lead her into the ballroom drop, only find that when I looked down she wasn't leaning back, but doing the splits instead. Man did my eyes water!!! A dancing moment that I will always remember.

Rachel
19th-February-2003, 01:12 PM
I think Gus meant that Sophie was a correct guess - in that it could be her. Rather than correct in that is is actually her. Oh, right... I see what you mean now... I think!

Steve's a great dancer, but I just couldn't picture him and Sophie together - her style's sooo flamboyant, I imagine he might look rather too understated against her.

Who is Hayley?? Remember I've been out of the London scene for a while now![/B]

I see Gus has explained who Hayley is ... I don't know her personally, but she's absolutely amazing to watch dancing - she also happens to be extremely beautiful. Steve, I'm surprised at you not having sought her out before ...!

Originally posted by Gus
James, is competing with a certain very stylish member of this forum (I can say no more )

Oh, but who???? Can you not at least give us any clues? Like - male/female, south/north, frequent poster? Please .....?????

Rachel

Rachel
19th-February-2003, 01:14 PM
...but doing the splits instead... Come on, doing the splits isn't much of a clue - can't you enlighten us any further?

Will
19th-February-2003, 01:25 PM
Come on, doing the splits isn't much of a clue - can't you enlighten us any further?

Well it rules me out. Could still be the Tramp though! :grin:

Rachel
19th-February-2003, 01:28 PM
Could still be the Tramp though! :grin: Exactly what I thought!!
R.

Dreadful Scathe
19th-February-2003, 02:07 PM
We'll possibly be a late entry, if there's spaces left.Are there any spaces left for anything ?

Gus
19th-February-2003, 02:37 PM
Last thing I heard there was 1 place in Advanced, 20/30 Male DWAS and places in Lindy and Airsteps. Suggest you PM Keith ... he should be able to give you the latest position.

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 12:14 PM
I notice in the Team Cabaret section the rules say Plagiarism rules apply - can someone explain to me exactly what this means in this context?

Thanks

DVx

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 12:25 PM
Are you talking about the fact that one team is allegedly doing a complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) then DV??

When I heard about that last night, I was quite amazed!!

Steve

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Rachel:

but she's absolutely amazing to watch dancing - she also happens to be extremely beautiful. Steve, I'm surprised at you not having sought her out before ...!Well. It's difficult searching someone out if you don't know much about them. I think I've just heard the name and that she's quite a dancer.

I'll rely on you to point her out to me then Rachel.....

Steve

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 01:15 PM
Are you talking about the fact that one team is allegedly doing a complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) then DV??

When I heard about that last night, I was quite amazed!!

Steve Actually the rumour goes that there are TWO teams allegedly doing the SAME complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) .

But yes I am talking about that Steve!

DV x

Gary
20th-February-2003, 01:50 PM
Actually the rumour goes that there are TWO teams allegedly doing the SAME complete routine choreographed by someone else (Nicky Haslam from Australia) .

But yes I am talking about that Steve!

DV x

Which routine? (Nicky's choreographed a bunch of them - my favourite is Ecuador, the most recent are Hero and JetSet Armani (to "Are You In It For Love").

DavidB
20th-February-2003, 01:54 PM
Plagiarism is copying someone's words or ideas and presenting them as being your own work.

I think the plagiarism rules were introduced a few years ago after a couple did someone else's routine in the showcase without their consent. But I don't think they have ever been defined.

Plagiarism is not the same as doing someone else's choreography, as long as you credit the choreographer with their work.

Choreography is not easy. A good dancer is not necessarily a good choreographer. It is as much a part of a showcase or team routine as the music or performance itself. The routine 'belongs' to the choreographer, not the performers. I can't think of any other dance style where choreographers are not allowed.

I don't see anything wrong with doing a routine that someone else has choreographed, as long as the choreographer is credited with what he/she has done, and has been paid as agreed (if they are doing it professionally).

The entry form should require the choreographer to be named, and the performers should have to sign something saying that the choreographer has allowed the routine to be performed by them. At the prize presentation, the choreographer should accompany the couple/team when they receive their prizes.

David

Will
20th-February-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by gcapell
Which routine? (Nicky's choreographed a bunch of them - my favourite is Ecuador, the most recent are Hero and JetSet Armani (to "Are You In It For Love").

Well you're not going to be disapointed then :wink:
And wait until you see the team they've got assembled for it. It's a bit of a dream team.

And whilst we are on the subject let me drop another bomb shell. Nicky Haslam is coming over to England in May for the Ceroc Champs in may and is putting together a new routine for the cabaret section. Her team will include Clayton & Janine.

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 02:11 PM
Well you're not going to be disapointed then :wink:
And wait until you see the team they've got assembled for it. It's a bit of a dream team.

Sheena - do you think we should just withdraw both our teams now??????

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 02:14 PM
I don't see anything wrong with doing a routine that someone else has choreographed, as long as the choreographer is credited with what he/she has done, and has been paid as agreed (if they are doing it professionally).I've sort of been struggling with this for the last hour or so, and trying to sort out in my own head what I think about it.

I'm not sure that I agree with you David, although, next time I see you, you could possibly convince me otherwise.

Modern jive is a social dance, mainly for fun, and isn't the same as ballroom competitions.

Taking this to the extreme, next competition, we could have 10 teams, all performing the same cabaret by someone 12,000 miles away, and it starts to become more like a ballroom competition, where everyone has to look the same and do the same.

I think that part of entering the competition is all about doing your own routine. I have to say that I wouldn't want someone else to choreograph a routine for me to perform, even with giving the choreographer the credit.

Like I said, I'm still not fully convinced in my own mind about my feelings on this though.

Steve

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 02:17 PM
I have another question about Blackpool (or indeed the Ceroc Champs in London or in Scotland).

If 70% of dancing must be recognisable as Modern Jive - and a couple dance Blues for a whole record (say in the final when they are most likely to get a slowish song to do the Blues to) - then is this breaking the rules or not?

Thanks

DV x

Will
20th-February-2003, 02:25 PM
Sheena - do you think we should just withdraw both our teams now??????

Absolutely NOT!!!! After your performance last year, your in with as good a chance as anyone.

Remember - the bigger they come, the harder they fall :wink:

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 02:37 PM
Absolutely NOT!!!! After your performance last year, your in with as good a chance as anyone.

Remember - the bigger they come, the harder they fall :wink:

Thanks for your confidence Will - however I think that's Sheena's team from the Scottish champs you are talking about? Or is it Scott's team from London last year?

We've never competed before and neither of the Scottish teams have had any teacher involvement in the choreography so I guess I'm getting a little nervous to be up against a 'Dream Team' we were doing it for fun - not thinking we were up against 'professional' choreographers.

DVx

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 02:40 PM
we were doing it for fun Just keep on thinking that DV. After all, that's why we all should be doing it.

Steve

DavidB
20th-February-2003, 02:41 PM
If 70% of dancing must be recognisable as Modern Jive - and a couple dance Blues for a whole record (say in the final when they are most likely to get a slowish song to do the Blues to) - then is this breaking the rules or not?No-one has yet come up with a definition of Modern Jive. The only way I could see someone being disqualified is if it was obviously a different dance, and therefore couldn't be jive.

I've never seen a definition of Blues dance either, so it would be an interesting argument.

David

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2003, 02:52 PM
i think the plagiarism rules mean that you cant use someones routine without their permission. As simple as that. It doesnt matter who did the choreography professional or otherwise. If the rmours are correct - It'll be interesting to see two teams do the same routine, but if they've both had permission of the choreographer (even if it was at different times) then theres nothing against the C2D rules, i would imagine one of the teams would cancel though.

:)

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 02:53 PM
Just keep on thinking that DV. After all, that's why we all should be doing it.

Steve

Slainte Steve. That's worth a lick!
:devil:

DVx

DavidB
20th-February-2003, 02:59 PM
neither of the Scottish teams have had any teacher involvement in the choreography I can't see that making any difference. Just because someone can teach doesn't mean they can choreograph. I've been to lots of classes where I've been taught moves very well, but the link to the next move looked and felt horrible. If some teachers can't link 2 moves together, what chance have they of putting a 4 minute routine together.

Any time I've been involved in a team routine, there are always 2 or 3 people that have ideas on the music, the look they want, the moves that work. They are the natural choreographers, not necessarily the teachers.

And if you think that a 'Dream Team' equates to a 'Dream Performance' look at 2002 US Basketball Team (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/us_sport/2240625.stm).

Everything will come down to each team's performance on the day, and if your team are enjoying themselves, the performance will be so much better.

So stop worrying, and enjoy it!

David

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 03:02 PM
Slainte Steve. That's worth a lick!What?? Another one? At this rate, you won't have time for your cabaret, as you'll be spending the entire day licking me!! :na:

Steve

Gadget
20th-February-2003, 03:05 PM
I think that part of entering the competition is all about doing your own routine. I have to say that I wouldn't want someone else to choreograph a routine for me to perform, even with giving the choreographer the credit.
A team needs choreographed - otherwise they are just a group of dancers. If the choreographer is a member of the team then I could envisage problems in organising and directing everyone else - it would be easier for someone not actually in the piece to direct.
Saying that, should it matter if that person is a friend, teacher at the team's main class, or live 12000 miles away? I think that the choreographer is a part of the troup, whether actually performing or not.
But if the origional choreographer put the moves together and someone else directed them with different style, interpritation or 'emotional content', who should be noted down as the choreographer? Would "Based on a routine by X" suffice?

Gary
20th-February-2003, 03:11 PM

I have to say that I wouldn't want someone else to choreograph a routine for me to perform, even with giving the choreographer the credit.

You must be a much better choreographer than I am (actually, you definitely would be, I've only been dancing two years).

If I were good enough to do a showcase and could somehow get Simon de Lisle, Julie Gunn or Nicky Haslam to do the choreography, I'd be ecstatic. I just realised that they're all UK exports. Damn, where's the home-grown Aussie talent?

If you think of the choreographer/dancer relationship being like playwright/actor, does that make it easier to accept? (Or is that a completely off-base analogy?).

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 03:16 PM
I think that the difference here (and I know I didn't explain myself as well as I should have), is that if you could get Simon or Nicky to choreograph a routine, that'd be great (I still wouldn't do it myself, but that's just me), but the people doing this haven't done that. They've just taken a routine, put together for different people, for a different event, and just used it, presumably learning it off video or something. The choreographer won't even be there to take a share of the applause, since presumably she'll be 12,000 miles away, sleeping.

To me, that's not in the spirit of the dance. And like I said previously. If ever team decided to do that, and all turned up in the same costumes, doing the same routine, we'd all just be bored by the end. Would it still be acceptable then?

Steve

PS.
You must be a much better choreographer than I am Please don't forget, I'm just a beginner!!

Gary
20th-February-2003, 03:29 PM
If every team decided to do that, and all turned up in the same costumes, doing the same routine, we'd all just be bored by the end. Would it still be acceptable then?

I don't think that would happen, exactly because we'd all be bored. Some team with a fresh new routine would romp home past the boring routine.

Although Ecuador is a very cool routine, I suspect a team performing it in an Australian comp would crash and burn because all the judges would have probably seen it a dozen times already.

I'm surprised that there are two routines to the same music at your comp. I would have thought you could reserve a song to avoid problems like this.

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 03:38 PM
I don't think that the problem has ever come up before. It's the first time I've ever heard of a team cabaret using a pre-choreographed routine. I guess the chances of two teams using the same music and choreographing two completely different routines are pretty slim. Still, something to think about to add in the rules/entry forms for next year.

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2003, 03:59 PM
I don't think that the problem has ever come up before. It's the first time I've ever heard of a team cabaret using a pre-choreographed routine. I guess the chances of two teams using the same music and choreographing two completely different routines are pretty slim. Still, something to think about to add in the rules/entry forms for next year.

I would have expected most people to have a pre-choreographed routine... with a few changes along the way as the dancers learn it possibly but they still would have a routine in mind first. Wouldnt they ? do people not do it this way ?

Gus
20th-February-2003, 04:24 PM
........so I guess I'm getting a little nervous to be up against a 'Dream Team' we were doing it for fun - not thinking we were up against 'professional' choreographers.

DVx

Hey Kid, remember its for FUN!:grin: No matter how good Nicky H's team(s) are, they would be hard pressed to match the display that Sue Freemans Sheffield team put on in 2000. It was so good that a lot of people at the time regarded it as unbeatable (I've still seen nothing to match it).... but that didn't stop people from competing.

There are the small minority who go into these competitions to win, the rest go for fun .... and they probably have a far better time of it ... they have nothing to lose and no reputations to protect.

Enjoy the day and savour the moment.

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 04:26 PM
DS....

Nope. That would be a choreographed routine. Put together for the competition, by the people doing it. Quite like what you are doing with your routine I imagine.

What I would define as a pre-choreographed routine is what is rumoured to be happening by at least one team where they are taking a routine already put together by someone else, and performing it without putting any of their own choreography in at all.

Since I'm sure that the routines are judged at least partly on the choreography, to do a routine that you had no part in developing, and was developed for someone else entirely just doesn't seem right.

(If you were part of the original team though, and have just changed in a few team members, that's not so bad :D).

Steve

Gus
20th-February-2003, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure if I'm missing the point, but....

is there any difference between having a professional choreographer and couples getting professional coaching incorporating tricks of the trade and set routines of moves? Both happen and they seem to be part of 'the game' at the top end. Is this a bad thinng?

DavidB
20th-February-2003, 05:10 PM
I would have expected most people to have a pre-choreographed routine... with a few changes along the way as the dancers learn it possibly but they still would have a routine in mind first. Wouldnt they ? do people not do it this way ? Most choreographers I know would just have the music, and a couple of ideas for what to do with the highlights. They then get together with either the full team, or just a few key members, and put together the rest.

I only know 2 people who are good enough to do the whole thing by themselves (ie without the dancers present), and both live in the US. (I've not seen Nicky or Simon since they left the UK, so wouldn't be in a position to judge their work)

Originally posted by Gus
is there any difference between having a professional choreographer and couples getting professional coaching incorporating tricks of the trade and set routines of moves? Both happen and they seem to be part of 'the game' at the top end. Is this a bad thinng?There is a difference. I would expect a choreographer to be more experienced in musical interpretation, and at looking at the routine as a whole. He would also tend to work with what the dancers can do at the present.

Coaching would concentrate on individual moves, techniques and ideas, and trying to improve the standard of the dancers.

Usually you go to a choreographer for a routine, and to a coach to get good enough to do it.

David

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 05:34 PM
Most choreographers I know would just have the music, and a couple of ideas for what to do with the highlights. They then get together with either the full team, or just a few key members, and put together the rest.
Usually you go to a choreographer for a routine, and to a coach to get good enough to do it.

David

oh NOW I know where we've gone wrong then eh DS?

I guess my question is 'Is the 'team' entering the 'Team Cabaret' judged only on the way they dance to the music or are they judged on the choreography as well?'

If the choreography is part of the criteria, then how can you judge the 'team' if the choreographer is not part of that team (you could have a team member who was the choreographer and didn't dance - but that's different from a team who've 'bought' a choregraphed routine.

Thanks for your encouragement Gus - of course we'll still go down and do the fun bit - but I'm not sure it's AS MUCH fun thinking we've no chance of winning (having said that I'm entering the Intermediate with no thoughts of winning and given the partner I have it's going to be one of the most fun parts of the day)

DVx

Dance Demon
20th-February-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Hey Kid, remember its for FUN!:grin: No matter how good Nicky H's team(s) are, they would be hard pressed to match the display that Sue Freemans Sheffield team put on in 2000. It was so good that a lot of people at the time regarded it as unbeatable (I've still seen nothing to match it)....

So...you havn't seen the Dundee teams routine then?

Don't worry DV, if you are part of the same Dundee team as Sheena, then you've nothing to worry about, coz I've seen it and think it's fab.......:D

DD:devil:

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
So...you havn't seen the Dundee teams routine then?

Don't worry DV, if you are part of the same Dundee team as Sheena, then you've nothing to worry about, coz I've seen it and think it's fab.......:D

DD:devil:

No No - different routine altogether! But still fab obviously!!!!!

DV X

TheTramp
20th-February-2003, 06:58 PM
I guess my question is 'Is the 'team' entering the 'Team Cabaret' judged only on the way they dance to the music or are they judged on the choreography as well?'Yeah. I guess this is where I was going, although not put quite so succinctly.

I think that the team has to be judged on the choreography too - else you could turn up, do perfect first moves in perfect unison, with breaks at the appropriate places in the music (ok, I know that's going to extremes), and then win. Which obviously wouldn't happen.

I think that's why I don't think that people who have no input or are in any way connected with a routine should possibly be using said routine.

In the judging criteria published (and it doesn't specify any difference for team cabarets), (a) Variation, difficulty and execution of moves (b) Floor craft, good pattern and direction, good use of the floor (c) The ability to dance to the rhythm, and character of the music, are all brought out by the choreographer as much as the people doing the dancing.

I don't know. I'm still willing to hear a convincing arguement for allowing it, although I haven't yet..... (other than it's allowed everywhere else).

Steve

Dancing Veela
20th-February-2003, 07:11 PM
What?? Another one? At this rate, you won't have time for your cabaret, as you'll be spending the entire day licking me!! :na:

Steve

I do have a huge NEED for salt Steve - you can keep me topped up so that I don't run out of energy for the cabaret :devil: :wink:

Gus
20th-February-2003, 07:58 PM
There is a difference. I would expect a choreographer to be more experienced in musical interpretation, and at looking at the routine as a whole. He would also tend to work with what the dancers can do at the present.

Coaching would concentrate on individual moves, techniques and ideas, and trying to improve the standard of the dancers.

David

Ummm ... don't think I was clear in the point I was trying to make ... I was trying to follow on from Tramps comment where I think he was intimating that having professional or 3rd party choreographers was a BAD thing. I was putting forward the view that 3rd parrty involvement is already there for the freestyle section so why not for the Cabaret section?

Emma
20th-February-2003, 08:22 PM
I'm finally finally going to bite and post to one of these competition-related threads...

It seems to me that a team cabaret will always be coreographed, whether by an individual or by several members of a team. It seems entirely acceptable that an individual who is not a member of the dancing team should coreograph. They are a member of the team, just not one of the dancing members.

I think copying a routine from a video is plagarism. Even if you add your own 'style'. It's no different from singing someone else's song, but changing the tempo or the accompaniment slightly. The bulk of the performance is a re-hash of someone else's ideas.

Paying a coreographer to come up with a routine for a team strikes me as 'not quite cricket' in an amateur competition. I've just spent five minutes scanning the C2D website and I can't really establish/decide whether it's an amateur competition or a proffessional one. Certainly there are both amateurs and professionals entering from what I can gather. I entirely understand DV's dismay at learning that a team (or teams) is using a 'borrowed' routine from a professional (er..might be wrong there) coreographer. It seems to me to be entirely unfair to allow comparison in a competition between 'amateur' and 'professional' coreography...though I'm using the quote marks because I also recognise that the 'amateurs' might well be better than the 'professionals'!

Yes. Well. That's my two bits. :nice: I'll go back to waiting for my pizza now! :grin:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2003, 09:18 PM
... coreographed,...coreograph....coreographer

Most people drop the H's when they speak not when they type :) you must be a Yorkshire lass :)

Emma
20th-February-2003, 09:33 PM
Most people drop the H's when they speak not when they type :) you must be a Yorkshire lass :)

Ummm..nope...

Hang on...

HEATHER???!!!

I think help is on it's way ;)

edit:

..actually I just checked the spelling meself and, erm..it seems to be right, so.. unless copious pizza has gone to my brain (always a strong possibility)..erm..eh? wha?

another edit:

It wasn't right. I am a pillock. I blame pizza.

- obviously I will defer to Heather's higher authority. :wink:

Heather
20th-February-2003, 09:38 PM
.........that I'm not the only one who notices spelling mistakes!!!!:wink:
It's just as well that there is not a 'Spelling Competition', as very few Forum members would stand any chance of winning!!!!:wink: :wink:

Heather,

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2003, 09:41 PM

..actually I just checked the spelling meself and, erm..it seems to be right, so.. unless copious pizza has gone to my brain (always a strong possibility)..erm..eh? wha?

Hmm I assumed it had an H in it, double checked i was right so i wouldnt look like a fool :what: and then posted. Choreography has an H in it as far as any dictionary i checked says anyway :).

Sheesh now i feel like such a pedant, wish i hadn't bothered :rolleyes:

Emma
20th-February-2003, 09:41 PM
Oh..hang on a minute..you meant that
h....now, why on earth didn't you say? *g*

Well, there goes all my primary school teacher credibility....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :what: :tears: :grin: :grin:

Emma
20th-February-2003, 09:43 PM

Sheesh now i feel like such a pedant, wish i handt bothered :rolleyes:

hee hee hee

Ah, well...that'll learn ya ;) *manages not to mention punctuation and pots and kettles...nearly*

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2003, 09:48 PM
what!!? i was misquoted i spelt it correctly , look and see.

*waves hand...there is no edit button

:D

Emma
20th-February-2003, 09:51 PM
*cough* capital i for 'I' babes *cough* :what: :kiss: :grin:

Heather
20th-February-2003, 10:00 PM
In my opinion, just because someone is a fantastic individual dancer, it does not necessarily make them the best or ideal participant in a Team/group event. When working as a team, there should not be any one person who 'stands out',a person with too much individual 'style' might find it difficult to 'blend' and become anonymous within a team.
I don't know all these wonderful dancers, so I can only use a musical analogy: Imagine Kiri te Kanawa, Placido Domingo, Bryn Terfel and Cecilia Bartoli, all outstanding, famous singers with very beautiful and individual voices, but no-one could seriously expect them to 'blend' into a choir as their voices are too distinctive. The very nature of choral singing is that the overall production of sound should seem as one voice.
I see a Team Cabaret event as the same sort of idea, everyone should blend together with no obvious individual dancers. Perhaps having a 'Dream Team ' of competitors is more of a handicap than an advantage?(Or maybe I'm just talking c**p????)
Heather,

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2003, 10:01 PM
my spelling is fine my spell chequer told me sew

anyway ill get you back - ill dance with you for 2 whole songs in blackpool :)

Emma
20th-February-2003, 10:04 PM
ill dance with you for 2 whole songs in blackpool :)

Woo!! anyone else want to get me back?! That sounds like the perfect way! :grin: :grin:

Nicky
21st-February-2003, 04:12 AM
I don't see anything wrong with doing a routine that someone else has choreographed, as long as the choreographer is credited with what he/she has done, and has been paid as agreed (if they are doing it professionally).

The entry form should require the choreographer to be named, and the performers should have to sign something saying that the choreographer has allowed the routine to be performed by them. At the prize presentation, the choreographer should accompany the couple/team when they receive their prizes.

David Wow! I am flattered that my choreography is the subject of a debate 12,000 miles away!! Please let me know if it lives up to expectations and the dancers do my routine(s) justice! I'd love to be there on the night.....

I'm looking forward to coming over in May with my new dance partner and competing/showcasing a couple of new routines then and also conducting a series of classes and workshops.

Hope to meet some of you soon.......

Nicky Haslam
Ceroc & Modern Jive Dance Co, Australia

TheTramp
21st-February-2003, 10:39 AM
Hello Nicky....

Nice to see you on here. Hope it's more than just a fleeting visit.

Look forward to seeing you (maybe even for a dance) when you're over in May. As long as you don't mind dancing with a beginner....

Steve

Franck
21st-February-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Nicky
Wow! I am flattered that my choreography is the subject of a debate 12,000 miles away!! Please let me know if it lives up to expectations and the dancers do my routine(s) justice! I'd love to be there on the night.....

I'm looking forward to coming over in May with my new dance partner and competing/showcasing a couple of new routines then and also conducting a series of classes and workshops.

Hope to meet some of you soon....... Hello Nicky and welcome to the Forum... :nice:
I am delighted to see you have joined the (lively) discussions here and I am sure your input will be appreciated.

Having read all the discussions above, I must say I am even more looking forward to the Ceroc Champs in May!

On the subject of plagiarism, then why not?
It does feel like cheating a bit, but as Gus said, people get their routines in many ways, including using videos of other dance events to get ideas...
Overall though, if you just take a video and dance a 'straight' copy of it, I can't help feeling that you'll get less satisfaction out of doing well, or even winning!
In fact I believe you get back what you put in, so for all the teams that are currently working very hard: 'It is all worth it!'

Good luck to all,

Franck.

Gus
21st-February-2003, 11:19 AM
Like it or not freestyle competitions are 'fought out' at two levels, amateur and profesional (with Ceroc putting in a professionl section this year). Is there now a case for similarly segregating the cabaret? I can imagine how potentialy disheartening it is for a local club to come up against a dream team and professional choreographer.

Should there be segregation .... does anyone care .... what is the real aim of the competition .. for people to enjoy doing it or for the public to see the best show?

Dancing Veela
21st-February-2003, 11:22 AM
It does feel like cheating a bit, but as Gus said, people get their routines in many ways, including using videos of other dance events to get ideas...
Overall though, if you just take a video and dance a 'straight' copy of it, I can't help feeling that you'll get less satisfaction out of doing well, or even winning!

Good luck to all,

Franck. THanks Franck - I do agree that people use videos to get ideas - merging those ideas into a whole routine is still using your own personality and skills - dancing the same whole routine from the video is not!

What are the chances that Keith will read this an give us a reply?

DVx

Will
21st-February-2003, 01:42 PM
Nice little Exclusive!

Well if anyone is really keen to see the now infamous "Equador" before Blackpool so as to see what they are up against, I can reveal to you that 2 of the 3 couples will be performing the routine next Tuesday in the Kent House at Hammersmith.

Clayton, Janine, Amir, & Kate are going to put on the performance. The only couple missing will be Graham Le Clerc and Sarah. Then they are going to give anyone who wants the opportunity to freestyle under competition conditions infront of them so that they can offer feedback and advice.

Personally, my game plan to win is either to break my competitors legs, or furnish the judges with shed loads of Cash :grin:

Clayton
23rd-February-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Nicky

Hope to meet some of you soon....... For anyone that doesn't know Nicky Haslam, she is not only a fabulous teacher, dancer and choreographer but is also the founder of Ceroc Modern Jive Dancing in Australia.

If you are like me & looking forward to Nicky arriving in the UK, her itinerary is as follows (apologies for not having all contact details of each dance group/class).

Sat 3rd May - 4 hr (advanced moves & style) workshop & demo in Hove with Leroc
Sun 4th May - UK Ceroc Champs, London
Mon 5, Tue 6, Wed 7 & Thu 8 - Ceroc Metro evening classes
Sat 10 - Camber workshops (Baby Aerials, Advanced & Style and Close Moves) and cabaret
Sun 11 - 4 hour workshop in Harlow at Just Jivin'
Mon 12 to Friday 16th May available for private lessons (up to 4 couples at time)
Sat 17th May - Evening cabaret at Just Jivin'
Sun 18th may - 4 hr workshop for Ceroc Metro (Aussie Lifts & Dips)
Wed 21 - Evening class at Rebelroc
Sat 24 - Ealing Day & Evening workshops/cabaret
Sun 25 - 4 hr mini-routine workshop for Ceroc Metro.
Mon 26 - back to Oz

For more info on Nicky or to contact her, she can be found @
www.cerocdance.com.au/

Clayton & Janine

Bill
23rd-February-2003, 10:12 PM
So where's the Scottish tour ?????

All those opportunities and I'll not be able to make any of them.

And hi to you Clayton !:D :wink: Didn't realise you were a contributor. All the best if you're competing at Blackpool and London again. I've made my feelings know about the London decision elsewhere... so best of luck this year.

Nicky
24th-February-2003, 02:35 AM
Wed 21 - Evening class at Rebelroc

For more info on Nicky or to contact her, she can be found @
www.cerocdance.com.au/

Clayton & Janine [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Clayton & Janine! You forgot a couple of dates with Katy at Rebelroc - Mon 19 and Tue 20!

HI to all at the Scottish Ceroc Forum - it's a great tool for discussion - I enjoy having a browse (infrequently though so please accept my apologies if I don't answer any questions posed straight away).

Would love to make it up to Scotland but can't afford any more time away from my business here as the week I get back is the week before our Australian Ceroc Champs (June 7th) - hope to welcome some of you "Down Under" to visit our beautiful Harbour City and enjoy the company of our Aussie Ceroc'ers.

See you soon and yes, Steve, I'd love a dance!

Nicky Haslam

Clayton
24th-February-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Bill
So where's the Scottish tour ?????

All those opportunities and I'll not be able to make any of them.

And hi to you Clayton !:D :wink: Didn't realise you were a contributor. All the best if you're competing at Blackpool and London again. I've made my feelings know about the London decision elsewhere... so best of luck this year.

Bill, thank you for your very kind comments.

As for your thoughts on last years Ceroc Comp, all I can say is that J & I danced as good as we possibly could & are very happy with that. Anyway, looking at the year in perspective, we had a very successful year.

Janine & I are looking forward to Blackpool as always, this will be our 3rd. It's a fantastic Comp & it is great to see it grow every year.

As for our Scottish tour......we have never been asked!! & unfortunately / fortunately avoid the teaching scene which limits our chances but we would love 2.

Clayton

TheTramp
24th-February-2003, 10:33 AM
See you soon and yes, Steve, I'd love a dance!Thanks Nicky. But that's only cos you haven't seen me dance yet. One look, and you'll be running for the hills, just like the rest of them!! :rolleyes:

As for your thoughts on last years Ceroc Comp, all I can say is that J & I danced as good as we possibly could & are very happy with that. As diplomatic as ever then Clay!! :D

Steve

John S
24th-February-2003, 11:02 AM
Have the details been made available yet for the running order / timetable for the various events at Blackpool?

TheTramp
24th-February-2003, 11:13 AM
Hmmm....

There's nothing on their website about running order John.

Chance2Dance website (http://www.chancetwodance.co.uk)

Steve

Keith
24th-February-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by John S
Have the details been made available yet for the running order / timetable for the various events at Blackpool? Hi John,
All of the above will be given on the day, in the program.
In short, registration starts at 10.30 - 12.00, with the first round of Take a Chance at 12.30, with intermediates to follow.
The competition & daytime freestyle should finish, allowing the fantastic Georgia to serenade you with her relaxing sounds from 21.30, leading into more freestyle etc, with the Introduction of the infamous Jon Brett. Final dances will be 02.00.
Hope this helps.
Look forward to seeing you all there
Keith:cheers:

Keith
25th-February-2003, 01:28 AM
By popular demand; The Itinerary
please forward to your friends etc.
Due to time constraints please contact me direct if you have any further questions on: keith@danceindex.com
:D

FRIDAY SUPPER & DANCE AT THE WINTER GARDENS. 19.30 START, 21.00 SUPPER, MIDNIGHT FINISH. One Cabaret show around 21.30.

RUNNING ORDER OF THE DAY SATURDAY:

10.30-12.00 Registration

12.15 TAC Competitors to the Hot Spot/Ice Room

12.30 TAC Round 1, 3 Heats Inc 1 Warm up
Freestyle
13.25 Intermediate Round 1, with 8 Sections
14.20 Double Trouble Round 1, with 3 sections
14.35 Senior Round 1, with 2 sections
14.50 Advanced Round 1, with 4 sections
Freestyle
15.25 Spotlight Section 1, with Performances 1-5
Freestyle
16.10 TAC Round 2, with 2 sections
16.35 Intermediate Round 2, with 4 sections
17.00 Advanced Round 2, with 3 sections
Freestyle
17.30 Spotlight Section 2, with Performances 6-10
18.05 Break & Freestyle
18.25 TAC Final
18.35 Intermediate Final
18.45 Lindy Hop Final
18.55 Double Trouble Final
19.00 Senior Final
19.10 Advanced Final
19.20 Airsteps Final
Freestyle
19.40 Spotlight Section 3, with Performances 11-16
20.25 Teams x 4
Freestyle
21.30 Relax with Georgia
22.15 Raffle Draw & Freestyle
22.30 Presentation & Freestyle till 02.00.

SUNDAY TEA DANCE AT THE TOWER BALLROOM. 10.30 START WITH A 17.30 FINISH, FOOD INCLUDED.
PLEASE TREAT THIS AS A CHILL OUT DAY, WE WILL ALL NEED IT!
UK Open Jive Weekend Itinerary

Happy Dancing