PDA

View Full Version : types of jiving

susie blue
30th-October-2005, 09:18 PM
Hello!

I have a wee question and I hoped some of you nice people might be able to help me.

I used to attend a Jive class but I recently moved away so I looked for a new class to attend. I found one and went along but the class was for a different type of jiving than I originally learned. I didn't realise there were so many different types of Jive and I would like to identify the type of Jiving that I know how to do.

I started off by learning the "basic" step and then there were a set of what the teacher referred to as "single" steps. After that there were "Double" steps, which were usually either the single step danced twice or the single step with an additional step.

Some of the more advanced steps had names like the "Ladle" and the "Cosy Nest"

There was quite alot of fancy foot work and most of the time the lady and the gent would dance facing each each other and not side by side.

If anyone can tell me what type of jiving this sounds like then it would be much appreciated! :nice:

MartinHarper
31st-October-2005, 10:22 AM
If anyone can tell me what type of jiving this sounds like then it would be much appreciated! :nice:

That's probably what I would know simply as "jive" or else "rock and roll". You might refer to it as "60s jive".

Ceroc and others teach "modern jive", which is probably what you've experienced.

latinlover
31st-October-2005, 02:34 PM
Hello!

I have a wee question and I hoped some of you nice people might be able to help me.

I used to attend a Jive class but I recently moved away so I looked for a new class to attend. I found one and went along but the class was for a different type of jiving than I originally learned. I didn't realise there were so many different types of Jive and I would like to identify the type of Jiving that I know how to do.

I started off by learning the "basic" step and then there were a set of what the teacher referred to as "single" steps. After that there were "Double" steps, which were usually either the single step danced twice or the single step with an additional step.

Some of the more advanced steps had names like the "Ladle" and the "Cosy Nest"

There was quite alot of fancy foot work and most of the time the lady and the gent would dance facing each each other and not side by side.

sounds like ballroom jive to me

bigdjiver
31st-October-2005, 03:28 PM
sounds like ballroom jive to meand to me. The "side to side" jive seems to me the comment of someone who has been to one MJ beginners class and done moves like the side-to-side (Duuuh) and basket. There are more than enough face-to-face moves in MJ for anyone.
Before taking up any other for of jive than MJ I would make sure that there is going to be enough places in my vicinity where I can actually do it enough to satisfy me.

Lynn
31st-October-2005, 04:01 PM
Before taking up any other for of jive than MJ I would make sure that there is going to be enough places in my vicinity where I can actually do it enough to satisfy me. This is the main reason why I don't do several other dances styles (including 6 beat jive which is taught here) - lack of suitable social venues to actually dance. Some people seem content to go week after week to dance classes and rarely, if ever, actually dance! (I would be willing to do this if what I was learning was transferable to MJ).

David Bailey
31st-October-2005, 04:09 PM
(I would be willing to do this if what I was learning was transferable to MJ).
It is! Dancing is dancing - and that's the beauty of MJ, it can absorb almost anything.

Although most of the Norn Irn jive dance venues I've seen have been a bit old-y, even for me...

Lynn
31st-October-2005, 06:41 PM
Although most of the Norn Irn jive dance venues I've seen have been a bit old-y, even for me...Well yes, that's what I mean. Even worse if you are younger...:whistle:

There is a 6 beat jive class here, I went along for a while, it was fun, but I'm not aware that anyone from the class actually goes anywhere to freestyle it and there is a salsa class straight after so no freestyle time afterwards.

(And re my comment in brackets - I was thinking of AT which I would love to learn but would be very nervous of going to an event with lots of experienced dancers and actually trying to dance. But even if it took me ages to get to that point, it wouldn't put me off the classes.)