DianaS
29th-October-2005, 10:05 AM
where we've been
and what we've doing :devil:

Lory
29th-October-2005, 10:27 AM
where we've been
and what we've doing :devil:
Go on then Diana, we're all waiting to hear what :devil: ish things you've been up to :D

DianaS
29th-October-2005, 10:33 AM
I've dibblin my toes in the thousand oceans of dance I've got a few stories to tell.
Last night I went to my first swing night. It was ran by David Hamilton in Birmingham and had excellent music a very high standard of dancing and a really good venue... after getting bored of the MJ scene here it was a pleasure to come across.

There was a small crowd of us most of whom had been doing swing and lindy for around 12 years. I was the newbie, not even had a lesson, so the experience of being asked to dance was particularly challenging. I suspect they adapted what they did to me trememdously but I fell totally in love, it was beautiful to experience, expressive and creative and and and...
well yes I'll be going back!!

I asked just one person (other than the people I was with and other people I knew from the MJ scene) to dance explaining that I didn't do lindy just MJ and a little ballroom. It was "cool cats" one of my favourite numbers, I like interpreting the breaks which he let me to an extent before jumping in with his own thing. I was swang around so fast my feet were off the floor the movement was fluid and you seem to be pivoted around in a moment...There was so much laughter, it seems like an exceptionally playful form!

What did I learn?
the art of snapping your hand out rather than offering in the vaguely wet way we do in MJ
how to go from a slide into a pose withdrawing the hand then snapping that hand back out towards the partner playing with the connection and the space
between you
they do a lot of wakling cross ways rather than straight... werid but thats the way it goes...
they play ruffling one anothers hair as they go past, the facial expression is key and central to it all. And no no -one says smile in that rather condsescending way, they are far too cool for that

The one guy I danced with turned out to be a lindy champion, no one told me till much later:D :D :D . Kind of not fair for your first experience of lindy but hey I wouldn't knock it :whistle: :waycool: :whistle:

DianaS
29th-October-2005, 10:35 AM
Go on then Diana, we're all waiting to hear what :devil: ish things you've been up to :D
Oh Lory I've been terrrrible...:wink:

Lucy Locket
31st-October-2005, 09:53 AM
Oh you are such a naughty girl :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: