PDA

View Full Version : Thursday 29th December - Wots happening down south

Russell Saxby
28th-October-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi All

All this talk of not a lot going on between Xmas and New Year got us thinking.

We have managed to find another venue that is available on for hire on Thursday 29th December, (only day it is available) and we are thinking of having another Party as well the 3rd December one :clap: :clap: :clap:

The venue is wee bit bigger the our current venue, and has the added bonus of having a seperate "blues" room :cool: Midnight finish. May even be able to arrange a set menu for those that want to arrive early and have a "light" bite to eat first.

If we do go ahead we will limit numbers etc as always. Tickets will probably be more expensive than the usual £10, but the hall is likely to cost 3 times as much as our regular Saturday venue. (I say likely, as still waiting cost and confirmation of the "blues" room)

Just wondered if anyone knows if there is anything else going on down south this day. Most regular Thursday venues are closed to the best of my knowledge. Would hate to be flooding the market with another party night so to speak.

Any thoughts :D

Russell

Paul F
28th-October-2005, 02:57 PM
If it has a blues room :clap: Dont care how much it costs.

Missy D
28th-October-2005, 03:05 PM
Sounds good to me Russell:clap: :clap:

Msfab
28th-October-2005, 04:56 PM
You can count me in!:clap:

wicked blue
28th-October-2005, 05:47 PM
Definately up for that! Wouldn't really matter what else was going on - after all the Greenwich saturday nights takes some beating! :worthy: :clap:

Minnie M
28th-October-2005, 06:08 PM
There is Joseph & Trisha's Christmas party in Hatfield (jiveswing.com) on Thurs 29th Dec., don't know of anything else special as yet

foxylady
28th-October-2005, 11:02 PM
I'd be up for it - and cost >£10 not prohibitive...

Foxy

Russell Saxby
31st-October-2005, 08:23 PM
I have a :grin: on my face - so thought I would share.

Looks like the 29th is gonna be a goer... so watch this space :clap: :clap:

:cheers: Russell :cheers:

KatieR
4th-November-2005, 02:05 PM
. Would hate to be flooding the market with another party night so to speak.

Is that possible??

I think its a Grand idea! :clap:

wicked blue
4th-November-2005, 02:12 PM
I have a :grin: on my face - so thought I would share.

Looks like the 29th is gonna be a goer... so watch this space :clap: :clap:

:cheers: Russell :cheers:

Yipee!! (I've got a big smile on my face now too!!) :D

Can't wait!!:clap:

Rhythm King
4th-November-2005, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a plan - count me in! :waycool:

TiggsTours
4th-November-2005, 05:11 PM
Jon Brett will be bringing back the much missed, and much loved, Glitter Ball on that night, I already know of alot of people who are planning on doing that.

Andy McGregor
4th-November-2005, 05:24 PM
We've got our regular Thursday night class in Shoreham on the 29th. And because it's the holidays we'll just have a begintermediate lesson at 8 and then over 3 hours of freestyle from 8.45 'til midnight. We'll just charge our usual £6 - why charge more than usual? :confused:

Minnie M
4th-November-2005, 05:40 PM
Jon Brett will be bringing back the much missed, and much loved, Glitter Ball on that night, I already know of alot of people who are planning on doing that.
:yeah: ah.... yes.... I remember them well, the highlight of the year :worthy:
I will be in Amersham that day (my grandsons birthday) will it be at the Corn Exchange again?

TiggsTours
4th-November-2005, 05:42 PM
I will be in Amersham that day (my grandsons birthday) will it be at the Corn Exchange again?
I don't think so, I think that's had a permanent booking for the week between Christmas & New Year, which is why JB had to cancel a few years ago, but he has booked the 10-piece Blue Harlem!

Minnie M
4th-November-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't think so, I think that's had a permanent booking for the week between Christmas & New Year, which is why JB had to cancel a few years ago, but he has booked the 10-piece Blue Harlem!
Fantastic :worthy: one of the best swing bands with have at the moment :worthy: 10 piece - that means the lovely Imelda will be with them :worthy: Just hope I will be able to make it :sad:

Russell Saxby
4th-November-2005, 06:20 PM
We've got our regular Thursday night class in Shoreham on the 29th. And because it's the holidays we'll just have a begintermediate lesson at 8 and then over 3 hours of freestyle from 8.45 'til midnight. We'll just charge our usual £6 - why charge more than usual? :confused:

Well I guess if you are using your regular venue & dj and your hire cost is the same then there is no reason to charge any more - wots confusing about that??

Minnie M
5th-November-2005, 04:10 AM
Announced tonight at BFF - it IS at the Bedford Corn Exchange :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary
6th-November-2005, 12:51 AM
So Russell, where is this slightly bigger venue? Sounds interesting. Could be a pencil (booking in the diary that is).

M

Russell Saxby
6th-November-2005, 09:44 AM
So Russell, where is this slightly bigger venue? Sounds interesting.

I will give you a clue - it is white ......

..... and dome like :cool:

Mary
6th-November-2005, 11:35 AM

The observatory?!!!!

Or the Mosque?
:eek:

M

dee
6th-November-2005, 11:46 AM

Is it Missy D's bra :innocent:

Tiggerbabe
6th-November-2005, 11:47 AM
Is it Missy D's bra :innocent:
Oooh! Does that mean 2 rooms then? :wink:

Andy McGregor
6th-November-2005, 05:09 PM
Well I guess if you are using your regular venue & dj and your hire cost is the same then there is no reason to charge any more - wots confusing about that??What's confusing is some organisers desire to cash in on our need to dance and party at Chistmas. I can't imagine that many venues charge their regular hirers more during the festive season - but, for some reason, organisers seem to up their price.

Missy D
6th-November-2005, 05:12 PM

Millenium Dome?

Dan Hudson
6th-November-2005, 05:45 PM
Millenium Dome?

I prefered Dee's answer:devil:

Missy D
6th-November-2005, 11:04 PM
I prefered Dee's answer:devil:

Ok then Dees bra! one small room and one large:rofl:

Minnie M
6th-November-2005, 11:09 PM
Announced tonight at BFF - it IS at the Bedford Corn Exchange :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Travellodge are doing a £10 per night special offer for the 29th December - but there are THREE of them in the Bedford area and not sure which one is nearest the Corn Exchange - can any one help please :sad: want to get in there whilst the offer lasts.

DavidY
6th-November-2005, 11:20 PM
Travellodge are doing a £10 per night special offer for the 29th December - but there are THREE of them in the Bedford area and not sure which one is nearest the Corn Exchange - can any one help please :sad: want to get in there whilst the offer lasts.It looks like the postcode of Bedford Corn Exchange (http://www.bedfordcornexchange.co.uk) is MK40 1SL, so from the Travelodge website (http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/results.php?search=MK40+1SL&x=78&y=16) it looks like the Saturn Heights, Brickhill drive one is nearest.

HTH
David

Yogi_Bear
7th-November-2005, 12:19 AM
So what exactly is happening at Bedford Corn Exchange on 29/12? All the posts so far in this thread seem rather silent on that subject. If it's going to be good I will have to book a £10 room soon...

dee
7th-November-2005, 11:26 AM
Ok then Dees bra! one small room and one large:rofl:

Twas your bra we were talking about but guess i have more room in mine :devil:

TiggsTours
7th-November-2005, 11:32 AM
So what exactly is happening at Bedford Corn Exchange on 29/12? All the posts so far in this thread seem rather silent on that subject. If it's going to be good I will have to book a £10 room soon...
Urm, if you go back through the thread you'll see. Its the fabulous Glitter Ball, Jon Brett always used to do it every year, but stopped a few years ago when he lost the venue (very suddenly) its always superb, always the highlight of the year, fabulous floor, fab music, fab dancing, the 10 piece band "Blue Harlem", tea, coffee, cakes, coissants at midnight, and light piano music to end the night. Black Tie and Ball Gowns, always fantastic!

Cruella
7th-November-2005, 11:34 AM
Jon Bretts Glitter Ball apparently. So that's another decision to make:eek: Glitter Ball or Russells dance? More details needed please Russell :flower:

TiggsTours
7th-November-2005, 11:43 AM
Jon Bretts Glitter Ball apparently. So that's another decision to make:eek: Glitter Ball or Russells dance? More details needed please Russell :flower:
Definately, at the moment I can work it that there might be a dance in a large white dome like building, sorry, but Glitter Ball is winning for me right now!

Dan Hudson
7th-November-2005, 12:03 PM
Ceroc Greenwich
Presents Another Freestyle Spectacular

Saturday 29th December 2005
At
The Trafalgar Tavern
6 Park Row
Greenwich
SE10 9NW

2 Rooms of Music,
4 of the country’s finest DJ’s.
Main room, classic MJ mix,
Blues and WCS in the downstairs room
Guest DJ’s including
the fabulous Erick, Greg Davison and DJ Kenobe!!

Ticket Price £15.00 in advance only
Strict Boy – Girl ratio, book early to avoid
disappointment
0208 855 6198 team@cerocgreenwich.co.uk

TiggsTours
7th-November-2005, 12:09 PM
Ceroc Greenwich

Saturday 29th December 2005
At
The Trafalgar Tavern
6 Park Row
Greenwich
SE10 9NW

2 Rooms of Music,
4 of the country’s finest DJ’s.
Main room, classic MJ mix,
Blues and WCS in the downstairs room
Guest DJ’s including
the fabulous Erick, Greg Davison and DJ Kenobe!!

Ticket Price £15.00 in advance only
Strict Boy – Girl ratio, book early to avoid
disappointment
0208 855 6198 team@cerocgreenwich.co.uk
OK, so where does this domelike thing come into it?

Dan Hudson
7th-November-2005, 12:13 PM

Have you seen TWK's hair line lately:what: :rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
7th-November-2005, 12:22 PM
its always superb, always the highlight of the year, fabulous floor, fab music, fab dancing, the 10 piece band "Blue Harlem", tea, coffee, cakes, coissants at midnight, and light piano music to end the night. Black Tie and Ball Gowns, always fantastic!
I'd second that - they were (and hopefully will be this time) superb events, great atmosphere and lovely music.

Although if it's a choice between that and the Dome, hmmm... tricky one.

TiggsTours
7th-November-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd second that - they were (and hopefully will be this time) superb events, great atmosphere and lovely music.

Although if it's a choice between that and the Dome, hmmm... tricky one.
Yes, I'd have gone for the Dome too, but as its not there.........

Russell Saxby
7th-November-2005, 03:19 PM

:na: :na:

Minnie M
7th-November-2005, 03:49 PM
Urm, if you go back through the thread you'll see. Its the fabulous Glitter Ball, Jon Brett always used to do it every year, but stopped a few years ago when he lost the venue (very suddenly) its always superb, always the highlight of the year, fabulous floor, fab music, fab dancing, the 10 piece band "Blue Harlem", tea, coffee, cakes, coissants at midnight, and light piano music to end the night. Black Tie and Ball Gowns, always fantastic!

The very first event to have all the above - especially the after event cool down nosh etc.

AND the very first MJ/Swing ball (hopefully JB will come on line and let us know when the first one was, I went to it and think it was about 10 years ago) #

It is a TRUE BALL, Black Tie :drool: for the boys, and posh frocks for us girlies:flower:

If you like swing music, and you like really dressing up, is the night for you :clap: :clap:

Paul F
7th-November-2005, 03:53 PM
If you like swing music, and you like really dressing up, is the night for you :clap: :clap:

Not too worried about the dressing up as I only stay 'dressed up' for about 20 minutes into a dance night anyway but what about the music?

Greenwich seems to have a mouth watering line up of DJs with the all important second room. When you mention swing music at the ball what kind of speed are we talking?
I would hate to dress up to be confronted with fast swing. :sick:

Minnie M
7th-November-2005, 04:09 PM
Not too worried about the dressing up as I only stay 'dressed up' for about 20 minutes into a dance night anyway but what about the music?

Greenwich seems to have a mouth watering line up of DJs with the all important second room. When you mention swing music at the ball what kind of speed are we talking?
I would hate to dress up to be confronted with fast swing. :sick:
Swing as in Lindy - but it wont all be fast music, the band (Blue Harlem) is very popular on the Lindy scene though however there will be quite a few MJ dancers there too.

Greenwich will be great too and the music WILL be fab :worthy: wish I could do both :tears: you will definitely have a great time there Paul - sorry to confuse you :flower:

for me it has to be the Glitter Ball it brings back so many memories - BTW the girls really do wear evening dress (long gowns) and it is terribly posh :yeah:

Paul F
7th-November-2005, 04:12 PM
Swing as in Lindy - but it wont all be fast music, the band (Blue Harlem) is very popular on the Lindy scene though however there will be quite a few MJ dancers there too.

Greenwich will be great too and the music WILL be fab :worthy: wish I could do both :tears: you will definitely have a great time there Paul - sorry to confuse you :flower:

for me it has to be the Glitter Ball it brings back so many memories - BTW the girls really do wear evening dress (long gowns) and it is terribly posh :yeah:

Thanks for that Minnie :hug: Wasnt too sure what it was.

TiggsTours
7th-November-2005, 04:21 PM

Oh yes, everso posh, and the guys keep their tuxes on all night :drool: :drool: although, if you look at the girls feet towards the end of the evening, most have changed into their dance sneakers!:wink:

clevedonboy
7th-November-2005, 04:48 PM
Saw Blue Harlem in Clevedon recently. They could do quick as in "Sing Sing Sing" uber quick but tended to play in the 140 - 160 bpm range. We danced to lots of their stuff without bother. I'd recommend them

Minnie M
7th-November-2005, 06:45 PM
......... if you look at the girls feet towards the end of the evening, most have changed into their dance sneakers!:wink:
:yeah: so true :rofl:
have to agree with Tiggs, the boys do look very yummy :drool:

If anyone else is interested https://www.travelodge.co.uk/ are still doing their £10 per room per night offer at the Bedford Travellodge

Russell Saxby
7th-November-2005, 10:31 PM
Ceroc Greenwich

Saturday 29th December 2005[/email]

Doh - think Dan was having a mad moment - good job the thread is entitled Thursday 29th December

David Bailey
8th-November-2005, 11:04 AM
Doh - think Dan was having a mad moment - good job the thread is entitled Thursday 29th December
Err, so is it on the Thursday or the Sat? :confused:

And it's not at the Dome, correct?

David the slow...

TiggsTours
8th-November-2005, 11:18 AM
:yeah: so true :rofl:
have to agree with Tiggs, the boys do look very yummy :drool:

If anyone else is interested https://www.travelodge.co.uk/ are still doing their £10 per room per night offer at the Bedford Travellodge
Would love to stay over, but will have to go to work the next day. Only half a days holiday remaining this year, am planning on taking Thursday 29th afternoon off, to have time to get ready!:grin:

clevedonboy
8th-November-2005, 11:29 AM
So are there any details re getting tickets for the Bedford bash? Would like to see Blue Harlem again

Russell Saxby
8th-November-2005, 01:22 PM
Err, so is it on the Thursday or the Sat? :confused:

And it's not at the Dome, correct?

David the slow...

Thursday

Dome - if only I had thousands & thousands of pound to spend :rolleyes:

Paul F
8th-November-2005, 02:56 PM
Thursday

Dome - if only I had thousands & thousands of pound to spend :rolleyes:

Could only imagine the acoustics in the dome :sick:

I will be at Greenwich :clap: Sounds like a top night. Will hopefully be sending off for the tickets after Camber.
Im sure I can drag certain other people along too :whistle: :nice:

TiggsTours
8th-November-2005, 04:39 PM
Could only imagine the acoustics in the dome :sick:

I will be at Greenwich :clap: Sounds like a top night. Will hopefully be sending off for the tickets after Camber.
Im sure I can drag certain other people along too :whistle: :nice:
Surprising, the acoustics are actually perfect. I remember reading that somewhere a few years ago, when there was alot of talk about what was going to happen to it, and that it would make a fantastic Concert Hall.

Paul F
8th-November-2005, 04:44 PM
Surprising, the acoustics are actually perfect. I remember reading that somewhere a few years ago, when there was alot of talk about what was going to happen to it, and that it would make a fantastic Concert Hall.

Wow :)
I would love to have a dance in there then :clap: I would be happy to organise one.

Freestyle
8-12
Plenty of seating,
Guaranteed 20 foot square of personal dance space
1 toilet per dancer
Plenty of parking
all for only £400 per person

:D

Cruella
8th-November-2005, 05:12 PM
Wow :)
I would love to have a dance in there then :clap: I would be happy to organise one.

Freestyle
8-12
Plenty of seating,
Guaranteed 20 foot square of personal dance space
1 toilet per dancer
Plenty of parking
all for only £400 per person

:D
Thats no good, you'd have to get an extension till at least 1am.:grin:

Paul F
8th-November-2005, 05:17 PM
Thats no good, you'd have to get an extension till at least 1am.:grin:

Ok, so if i get the extension how many tickets can I put you down for?

Just imagine how loud Ecuador would have to be to fill that space! :what: :what:

:nice:

Rest assured that would never happen. If I did play that I would more than happily take my own life. :blush:

Yogi_Bear
9th-November-2005, 12:03 AM
So is this clear?
1 There is a Glitter Ball arranged for Bedford Corn Exchange on Thursday 29 December, posh frocks, black tie, Blue Harlem
2 There is something on the same night at Greenwich, which may or may not have a connection with some sort of dome...
Would anyone like to clarify what's happening so I can get thisclear in my head, please? Where will the details be advertised, how will one buy tickets? (I might need to book one of these cheap Travelodge rooms :whistle: )

Dan Hudson
9th-November-2005, 12:49 AM
So is this clear?
1 There is a Glitter Ball arranged for Bedford Corn Exchange on Thursday 29 December, posh frocks, black tie, Blue Harlem
2 There is something on the same night at Greenwich, which may or may not have a connection with some sort of dome...
Would anyone like to clarify what's happening so I can get thisclear in my head, please? Where will the details be advertised, how will one buy tickets? (I might need to book one of these cheap Travelodge rooms :whistle: )

further back in the thread dear boy... have a look:whistle: :cheers: :cheers:

Russell Saxby
9th-November-2005, 12:54 AM
Would anyone like to clarify what's happening so I can get thisclear in my head, please? Where will the details be advertised, how will one buy tickets?

http://www.cerocgreenwich.co.uk/party_nights.htm

under par
9th-November-2005, 12:58 AM

trying my best to arrange time off so Mrs Par and I can get to Greenwich.:drool:

Will be shame to miss it.

Bedford just too far away unfortunately.:flower:

Yogi_Bear
10th-November-2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks - so where will the details of the Bedford alternative be found?

TiggsTours
11th-November-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks - so where will the details of the Bedford alternative be found?
I've emailed Jon Brett to ask about this, still waiting to hear, I'll give him a call tonight if I don't hear anything.

Mary
15th-November-2005, 10:19 AM
I think the Dome may have it for us. Provided nothing crops up of a muggle nature to get in the way.

M

TiggsTours
15th-November-2005, 10:32 AM
I think the Dome may have it for us. Provided nothing crops up of a muggle nature to get in the way.

M
What are you talking about "the Dome" there's nothing happening at the dome, Russell's thing is in the something or other Tavern! Hinting it was the dome was just an evil ploy to get us all sucked in!:wink:

Mary
15th-November-2005, 10:41 AM
What are you talking about "the Dome" there's nothing happening at the dome, Russell's thing is in the something or other Tavern! Hinting it was the dome was just an evil ploy to get us all sucked in!:wink:

Yep, good bit of marketing. For me the event will now be known as 'The Dome' - much easier than 'Greenwich but at a different vene which sounds like a pub'.:wink:

M

Andy McGregor
19th-November-2005, 03:29 PM
Bedford just too far away unfortunately.:flower:Or you could drive the 6 miles to Shoreham :innocent:

People might get the impression there's something wrong with your local venues - but we get hundreds of dancers who think it's fab around here, some of them even ask after that tall, good-looking guy they like/used to dance with, some of them are women! And I promise to have the ceiling raised so that Mr Par can dance without banging his head :flower:

Minnie M
21st-November-2005, 10:02 PM
Anyone interested in going to Jon Bretts Glitter Ball - check out Jon's web page for ticket details

Yogi_Bear
22nd-November-2005, 09:13 AM
Anyone interested in going to Jon Bretts Glitter Ball - check out Jon's web page for ticket details
What is the address of the web page?

Minnie M
22nd-November-2005, 03:33 PM
What is the address of the web page?
http://www.jivelive.com/Main/index.html

TiggsTours
22nd-November-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks Minnie M, I shall be sending my "request for an invite" today!

Missy D
23rd-November-2005, 01:06 AM
Twas your bra we were talking about but guess i have more room in mine :devil:

Especially in one:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Missy D
23rd-November-2005, 01:13 AM
Not looked at this thread for a few weeks now. I stopped looking as i thought this party night was going to be in Bedford. Tonight i was at Ish talking to a friend of mine who corrected me and said it was in Greenwich. Guess i will have to send another cheque off for another party night. Well I cannot miss it if everyone one else is going. Plus who else is going to lower the tone:whistle:

Minnie M
23rd-November-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks Minnie M, I shall be sending my "request for an invite" today!
Sent off my cheque yesterday morning only to find a posted invite when I got home - didn't need to pannick !! I am sure you got one too Tiggs

I stopped looking as i thought this party night was going to be in Bedford.

Glitter Ball x Jon Brett at Bedford Corn Exchange - very very posh, but swingy - started about 10 years ago, but there has been a couple years since the last one - for those who remember them, will not miss it :worthy:

clevedonboy
26th-November-2005, 11:17 AM
Got my Invites to The Glitter Ball this morning, got a room booked as well so see you there - can't wait to see the whole Blue Harlem, better get practicing my Lindy :)

Minnie M
7th-December-2005, 11:00 PM
Got my Invites to The Glitter Ball this morning, got a room booked as well so see you there - can't wait to see the whole Blue Harlem, better get practicing my Lindy :)
Are you staying at the Bedford Travelodge ? Most of the Blue Harlem lot are + me and a quite few of my mates - I passed the word around about the £10 per room deal :clap:

clevedonboy
12th-December-2005, 03:13 PM
Are you staying at the Bedford Travelodge ? Most of the Blue Harlem lot are + me and a quite few of my mates - I passed the word around about the £10 per room deal :clap:

Yes thanks Lynda we are - sounds like we should get a bus to run us back at the end of the night :cheers:

Minnie M
12th-December-2005, 08:08 PM
Yes thanks Lynda we are - sounds like we should get a bus to run us back at the end of the night :cheers:
:yeah: :clap: :yeah:
See ya there :clap:

Chicky
14th-December-2005, 11:58 AM
Just to let you all know that Dance Riviera is back in the ballroom on Thursday 29th December with a special night :clap: - guest teacher Mikey and our resident DJ, the popular Gazza.

Regular price of £6.

check out www.danceriviera.com for details

FirstMove
14th-December-2005, 11:22 PM
Are there any cheap events around London between Xmas and New Year? (post above noted)

WittyBird
14th-December-2005, 11:25 PM
Are there any cheap events around London between Xmas and New Year? (post above noted)

Yes
get to Ashtons on 27th (ticket only)

Trinity
14th-December-2005, 11:36 PM
:eek:
Yes
get to Ashtons on 27th (ticket only)

I will be there

FirstMove
16th-December-2005, 08:45 PM
Maybe you Londoners think £20/ticket is cheap, but that's a king's ransom in these parts. Any serf's ransom priced events about?

WittyBird
17th-December-2005, 11:14 AM
Maybe you Londoners think £20/ticket is cheap, but that's a king's ransom in these parts. Any serf's ransom priced events about?

Well you would of got to see the 3 witches pole dancing :D Worth every penny me thinks :rofl:

David Bailey
17th-December-2005, 09:30 PM
Well you would of got to see the 3 witches pole dancing :D Worth every penny me thinks :rofl:
Zippety doo dah, zippety day... :whistle:

Err, I meant: FREE THE CRICKLEWOOD SIX!!

Anyway, back to the topic in hand, is it too late now to get tickets for the Greenwich thing?

Missy D
17th-December-2005, 09:54 PM
Zippety doo dah, zippety day... :whistle:

Err, I meant: FREE THE CRICKLEWOOD SIX!!

Anyway, back to the topic in hand, is it too late now to get tickets for the Greenwich thing?

Only the 4 are worth freeing!!

I am sure there are tickets available ask Russell Saxby or Dan Hudson. Would be good to see you there..:clap: