PDA

View Full Version : weekenders Camber Bognor etc etc

Swinging bee
27th-October-2005, 04:40 PM
I was just looking on what is on offer over the year by way of jive weekends.( Dozens) For me Camber will always be my favourite for a number of reasons . I suppose that's because of late I have been asked to DJ in the blues room and Lin( the boss) gets to demo Double trouble with John Sweeney and karen.In addition, We get to mix with all the other performers ,So much to talk about!

Just what makes a really great weekend and what are your expectations . Are they fulfilled?...What else could be done!

stewart38
2nd-November-2005, 02:59 PM
I was just looking on what is on offer over the year by way of jive weekends.( Dozens) For me Camber will always be my favourite for a number of reasons . I suppose that's because of late I have been asked to DJ in the blues room and Lin( the boss) gets to demo Double trouble with John Sweeney and karen.In addition, We get to mix with all the other performers ,So much to talk about!

Just what makes a really great weekend and what are your expectations . Are they fulfilled?...What else could be done!

Assume I have to look at Bognor now ?

Anyone been to that how does that compare to camber ??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have seen them winning on TV and you may have even voted for them, now you can see them and attend their workshops in person during our Jive Weekend at Butlin's Bognor Regis on the 13 - 16 January. Joseph & Sadie, winners of BBC1 Strictly Dance Fever will be teaching 4 workshops at Bognor this January and will perform in the cabaret.
Just over 800 people have booked so far at this event, places are still available, book asap to avoid disappointment.

What's more, from this January at Bognor, PREMIUM apartments in the newly built Hotel within the centre and by the dance venues, will also be available along with the normally available Top of the range apartments.
The Hotel Premium suite will feature either a double or twin beds (you choose). Daily Maid Service, Towels & toiletries, Full coffee table complement, TV with DVD, Sea View. A real Luxury! If you have already booked an apartment for two, you can upgrade to the Hotel Premium suite by adding an extra £ 50 per person to your existing balance. The suites are available as two people occupancy only. The Hotel is within the Centre and next to the dance venues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

TiggsTours
2nd-November-2005, 03:09 PM
What makes a good weekender? The Rock Bottoms Team!:clap:

Last Camber I went to was 6 years ago, standard of dancing, music, floor, classes, chill out time, accommodation, food, none of it compares to any of the Rock Bottoms, they knock spots off the whole lot!

David Bailey
2nd-November-2005, 03:24 PM
{ snip ad }
I'm beginning to detect a subtle theme here. Do you like RockBottoms perhaps? :innocent:

Lynn
2nd-November-2005, 04:01 PM
What's more, from this January at Bognor, PREMIUM apartments in the newly built Hotel within the centre and by the dance venues, will also be available along with the normally available Top of the range apartments.I was wondering if the new hotel would be an accomodation option for Bognor. Looks like it is - OK it will be dearer, but for those can afford it, its an extra option.

TiggsTours
2nd-November-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm beginning to detect a subtle theme here. Do you like RockBottoms perhaps? :innocent:
Yes, but more than anything, I can't understand why everybody raves so much about Camber! Too big, too many people, not intimate and social enough, nowhere to just sit and chill out in a central area, and meet new people.

stewart38
2nd-November-2005, 04:56 PM
Yes, but more than anything, I can't understand why everybody raves so much about Camber! Too big, too many people, not intimate and social enough, nowhere to just sit and chill out in a central area, and meet new people.

Big is beautiful, who wants intimate unless in the bedroom ? People can be as friendly or unfriendly at either

Ive done both, both have there merits although the happy clappy tea time at Rock bottoms want always to my taste :what:

dee
2nd-November-2005, 07:49 PM
Assume I have to look at Bognor now ?

Anyone been to that how does that compare to camber ??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have seen them winning on TV and you may have even voted for them, now you can see them and attend their workshops in person during our Jive Weekend at Butlin's Bognor Regis on the 13 - 16 January. Joseph & Sadie, winners of BBC1 Strictly Dance Fever will be teaching 4 workshops at Bognor this January and will perform in the cabaret.
Just over 800 people have booked so far at this event, places are still available, book asap to avoid disappointment.

What's more, from this January at Bognor, PREMIUM apartments in the newly built Hotel within the centre and by the dance venues, will also be available along with the normally available Top of the range apartments.
The Hotel Premium suite will feature either a double or twin beds (you choose). Daily Maid Service, Towels & toiletries, Full coffee table complement, TV with DVD, Sea View. A real Luxury! If you have already booked an apartment for two, you can upgrade to the Hotel Premium suite by adding an extra £ 50 per person to your existing balance. The suites are available as two people occupancy only. The Hotel is within the Centre and next to the dance venues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gosh that sounds good!!!

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 10:23 AM
Big is beautiful, who wants intimate unless in the bedroom ? People can be as friendly or unfriendly at either

Ive done both, both have there merits although the happy clappy tea time at Rock bottoms want always to my taste :what:
Ah, but the best things come in small packages!

I can understand its not everyones cup of tea. Personally, silly balloons and fancy dress does it for me!

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 11:13 AM
Ah, but the best things come in small packages!

I can understand its not everyones cup of tea. Personally, silly balloons and fancy dress does it for me!

Its find if you go in a group or with someone . On you own it can be I would guess ,potentially at least (I didnt go on my own) a very lonely expereince.

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 12:57 PM
Its find if you go in a group or with someone . On you own it can be I would guess ,potentially at least (I didnt go on my own) a very lonely expereince.
Couldn't any dance weekender? I think Camber would be lonlier, at least at Rock Bottoms there is a central social area, and everyone sits down for dinner together, and they have classes especially designed to make people mix together and meet people. At Camber you have not central social area, you all eat dinner in your cold lonely chalet, unless you really hit it off with the people you're sharing with, you don't stand a chance of meeting anyone, from my observations.

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 03:23 PM
Couldn't any dance weekender? I think Camber would be lonlier, at least at Rock Bottoms there is a central social area, and everyone sits down for dinner together, and they have classes especially designed to make people mix together and meet people. At Camber you have not central social area, you all eat dinner in your cold lonely chalet, unless you really hit it off with the people you're sharing with, you don't stand a chance of meeting anyone, from my observations.

No people sit down in 'groups' together laugh together etc, and I can tell you from a friends expereince (not me !!) it can be very lonely sitting there on your own

At the end of the day both have merits but i wouldnt suggest one is better then the other its personal choice

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 03:36 PM
No people sit down in 'groups' together laugh together etc, and I can tell you from a friends expereince (not me !!) it can be very lonely sitting there on your own

At the end of the day both have merits but i wouldnt suggest one is better then the other its personal choice
Where though? All I'm saying is that, from my own experience, this definately happens at Rock Bottoms, as there are very centralised social areas, where everybody gathers, but it doesn't happen at Camber, as there is no centralised social area, just the dance floor, and your chalet, so if you go on your own, and don't really hit it off with the people you end up sharing with, where do you go to just sit down and be social? At Rock Bottoms, both on the Isle Of Wight and in Torquay, there are central social lounge areas, and there is just the one dining hall, where you all eat together, so you can't help but meet people, at Camber, no social lounge area, and you all eat in your own chalets, how is that possibly more social, and easier to meet people?

David Bailey
3rd-November-2005, 03:47 PM
Where though? All I'm saying is that, from my own experience, this definately happens at Rock Bottoms, as there are very centralised social areas, where everybody gathers, but it doesn't happen at Camber, as there is no centralised social area, just the dance floor
I'm with Stewart38 (well, not in a biblical sense, but...), weekenders can be lonely at times, and I don't believe the physical layout or even the numbers make much difference to this.

Of course, weekenders can also be lovely, and of course any holiday can be lonely anywhere - you're away from home, after all. But I don't think it helps to say one weekender is "friendlier" than another, it's all so subjective.

I would go into a clique-related rant here, but I can't be bothered, apart from plagiarising DavidB's comment that "From the inside, a clique is never visible".

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 03:55 PM
At Rock Bottoms, both on the Isle Of Wight and in Torquay, there are central social lounge areas, and there is just the one dining hall, where you all eat together, so you can't help but meet people, at Camber, no social lounge area, and you all eat in your own chalets, how is that possibly more social, and easier to meet people?

Never said camber was better :sick:

Meeting people probably goes

Dance holiday
Rock bottoms
Camber
Iraq

If you were shy etc would you prefer watch TV on you own go to dance on your own and meet people that way or

Go into a canteen with 100s laughing etc but not know anyone :sad:

I dont think im getting the point across :sad:

TiggsTours
3rd-November-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm with Stewart38 (well, not in a biblical sense, but...), weekenders can be lonely at times, and I don't believe the physical layout or even the numbers make much difference to this.

Of course, weekenders can also be lovely, and of course any holiday can be lonely anywhere - you're away from home, after all. But I don't think it helps to say one weekender is "friendlier" than another, it's all so subjective.

I would go into a clique-related rant here, but I can't be bothered, apart from plagiarising DavidB's comment that "From the inside, a clique is never visible".
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that weekenders can be lonely, never argued that for a second, I just think that Camber is a much lonlier place that the Rock Bottoms weekends.

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 05:06 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that weekenders can be lonely, never argued that for a second, I just think that Camber is a much lonlier place that the Rock Bottoms weekends.

reminds me on a must take list

Gin bottle and razors

dee
3rd-November-2005, 05:13 PM
reminds me on a must take list

Gin bottle and razors

Don't forget swimming trunks and kite

stewart38
3rd-November-2005, 05:21 PM
Don't forget swimming trunks and kite

plus marsh mellows for all the fluffy people

Lory
3rd-November-2005, 06:48 PM
Gin bottle and razors
A few paracetamols wouldn't go a miss either! :whistle:

Seriously though, I've always wondered why the pub at Camber is never open during weekenders :confused:

The pub at Southport is very popular and definitely the cental social focus!:cheers:

HITMAN
3rd-November-2005, 07:01 PM
It's used for filming the teachers workshops for the Dvd/Video.

Minnie M
3rd-November-2005, 07:12 PM
Seriously though, I've always wondered why the pub at Camber is never open during weekenders :confused:
It is used at the Rhythm Riot weekend (last weekend in November at Camber) and it is fab - there is even a small area where you can dance :clap:

They have it openned from 10am to about 6pm every day and you can buy bar food :yum: including chicken in the basket :drool: and they have a trio (usually a country trio) entertaining us :clap:

BTW The 'third room' at Franco's weekend is also used for the private lessons

CeeCee
3rd-November-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by TiggsTours
Yes, but more than anything, I can't understand why everybody raves so much about Camber!
Those who enjoyed themselves at Camber tend to rave about it, those who didn't, don't.

Too big, too many people, not intimate and social enough, nowhere to just sit and chill out in a central area, and meet new people.
For some this is precisely the attraction.

At Rock Bottoms, both on the Isle Of Wight and in Torquay, there are central social lounge areas, and there is just the one dining hall, where you all eat together, so you can't help but meet people

These are the very reasons that some people are put off even trying Rock Bottoms Weekenders.

I just think that Camber is a much lonlier place that the Rock Bottoms weekends.

Perhaps for some, perhaps not for others

Originally posted by Stewart38

Personal choice indeed. We are lucky to have different types of weekenders to suit a range of personalities and preferences.

TiggsTours
4th-November-2005, 10:35 AM
Those who enjoyed themselves at Camber tend to rave about it, those who didn't, don't.

For some this is precisely the attraction.

These are the very reasons that some people are put off even trying Rock Bottoms Weekenders.

Perhaps for some, perhaps not for others

Personal choice indeed. We are lucky to have different types of weekenders to suit a range of personalities and preferences.
I agree with all you said, and if people enjoy Camber great, I personally don't. What I'm saying is that, by reading this Forum, you could easily think that Camber is the only option, as its the only one that ever really gets talked about, I was just trying to say to people, don't close your mind to the alternatives, you may, like me, find you enjoy them more! Also, it was being implied (to my mind) that Rock Bottoms is a very lonely place to be on your own, and Camber isn't, I was just pointing out why I personally feel that the exact opposite is true.

I'm also still interested to know where exactly at Camber it is that all these people sit around and chat, as stewart38 said they do, I never saw anywhere there that that could happen.

David Bailey
4th-November-2005, 10:49 AM
I agree with all you said, and if people enjoy Camber great, I personally don't. What I'm saying is that, by reading this Forum, you could easily think that Camber is the only option, as its the only one that ever really gets talked about,
I'm pretty sure the vast pre- and post-Southport threads put Camber in the shade. And for that matter, the pre-BFG discussions were more extensive than the pre-Camber ones are.

But yes, it is annoying when it looks like the only thing you see on the Forum is a discussion of a single event / weekender to the exclusion of others. As long as it doesn't descend into luvvie-dom, I can bear it :whistle:

People talk about the events they go to, and bigger events (or ones with extra forum presence) get more talked-about - that's just the way it is.

Also, it was being implied (to my mind) that Rock Bottoms is a very lonely place to be on your own, and Camber isn't, I was just pointing out why I personally feel that the exact opposite is true.
I don't believe that was the implication - at least I didn't read it that way.

But I'm not convinced by your assertion that RB is more "friendly" than Camber (OK, I've not been to either, but lack of actual knowledge that never stops me), because you're clearly a big fan of RB, presumably you have friends there, so I'm not sure if that makes you the best judge of these things.

(If it's even possible to judge "loneliness factor", which frankly I doubt.)

I'm also still interested to know where exactly at Camber it is that all these people sit around and chat, as stewart38 said they do, I never saw anywhere there that that could happen.
Trust me when I say, I'll be the first to post any and all negative feedback about Camber (learned my lesson? Me? You must be kidding...)

stewart38
4th-November-2005, 04:32 PM

Yes where ?? where did i say that ?

TiggsTours
4th-November-2005, 04:33 PM

Urm, here.