PDA

View Full Version : On Your Own Christmas Day?

KatieR
27th-October-2005, 04:35 PM
Thought this needed its own thread for any 'passers by' who may be at a loose end on Xmas day/night.

For those that haven't read the other thread, a few of us were chatting about how we didnt have anyone to spend Christmas Day with this year except for sitting at home in your pyjamas watching the Queen’s Christmas message..

Now, I love the Queen as much as the next person but as a result, we now have a plan, A-Team style. (except we wont be fashioning an armoured tank out of a waste bin, just perhaps using Under Par’s Van with the Flashing Blue lights).

However THE PLAN IS flexible.

In the morning/afternoon it looks like we may be having a few eats and drinks at the lovely Paul F’s batch pad but in the evening there may be a
dance. No DJ, unless someone wants to, so its request-your-own/bring-your-own music. We will have a small but
intimate venue, unless loads of people say they want to come, with drinks and food.

This is NOT an event like a freestyle or anything as we only came up with the idea about an hour ago. Its just a
chance to meet up with friends and enjoy the xmas evening. Give us all a chance to dance of some of the Christmas Pudding that I may attempt to make!

The reason we are posting this is because it would be nice to know if anyone is interested in coming along for a dance.
Its likely to be near Woking but, again, this could be flexible.

So if you are interested please let either of us know.

Paul F & Katie R

LMC
27th-October-2005, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, anonymous poll... interesting!

KatieR
27th-October-2005, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, anonymous poll... interesting!

Wasnt meant to be... I havent created a poll before and didnt change the option :blush: ... not the smartest chick on the planet!! huh!! :D

Can I go back in and change it??

Paul F
27th-October-2005, 05:20 PM
Wasnt meant to be... I havent created a poll before and didnt change the option :blush: ... not the smartest chick on the planet!! huh!! :D

Can I go back in and change it??

I dont think so. Looks like polls are set to be unchangeable (is that a word?). No worries, im just interested in numbers :)

LMC
27th-October-2005, 05:22 PM
:hug: KatieR - moderator might be able to change it?

Thinking 'bout it, you were probably right - it might be just as well to sort out *who* is actually invited to Paul's via PM anyway :) - save possible bad feeling?

KatieR
27th-October-2005, 05:24 PM
:hug: KatieR - moderator might be able to change it?

Thinking 'bout it, you were probably right - it might be just as well to sort out *who* is actually invited to Paul's via PM anyway :) - save possible bad feeling?

YES... :mad:

Just wondering who might be persuaded? I might need to start carting a truck load of Mars Bars with me where ever I go!!

Paul F
27th-October-2005, 05:25 PM
Just to clarify. The poll is just who would be interested in a boogie on xmas night. Nothing to do with coming to mine.

Anyone who wants to come to mine for nibbles and to just basically laze around watching telly (or we could have a game or two) then just PM me.
:hug:

LMC
27th-October-2005, 05:29 PM
Sorry, blonde moment :blush:

Paul F
27th-October-2005, 05:32 PM
Sorry, blonde moment :blush:

I have many , and im not blonde!!

Just thought :what: I seem to be posting an awful lot these days considering I just got a new job. :sick:

Sheepman
27th-October-2005, 05:53 PM
Do you need a DJ? :whistle:

Greg

Gojive
27th-October-2005, 06:14 PM
What a lovely idea and thread :clap:

Have some rep Paul/Katie :cheers:

modchick
27th-October-2005, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a great idea for Christmas.

Wish I could attend the Dance, but have a huge family that would really not appreciate me choosing Dance over spending time with them (as much as I'd love to, kareoke in the front room is not my idea of fun, and being so many of us it usually ends in some kind of disaster...)

Good luck.

Paul F
27th-October-2005, 06:24 PM
Do you need a DJ? :whistle:

Greg

Thanks for the kind words folks.

And thakyou for the offer greg but the sound system i had in mind is only a (large) boombox type thing. It kicks out a lot of power but doesnt really need a dj. Unless you want to of course :grin:

It would have to be a xmas present to me though as im not paying anyone :D

stewart38
27th-October-2005, 06:40 PM
What a lovely idea and thread :clap:

Have some rep Paul/Katie :cheers:

orginal sort of idea came from me :whistle:

Gojive
27th-October-2005, 07:05 PM
orginal sort of idea came from me :whistle:

I meant to include you Stewart, but the batteries run out on my keyboard :yum: :blush:

Lynn
27th-October-2005, 08:15 PM
Its a lovely idea. I know someone who used to open her home on Christmas night - for anyone, but esp for those who were on their own. I know some people really appreciated it.

I am blessed in having family to spend Christmas with, but I like to see friends on Christmas night and I always go to a barn dance on Boxing Night where I see a lot of friends. I hope whatever you arrange, that you have a lovely evening!

Dizzy
27th-October-2005, 11:36 PM
Sounds like a great idea guys!! :worthy: :clap:

KatieR
28th-October-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks.

And thakyou for the offer greg but the sound system i had in mind is only a (large) boombox type thing. It kicks out a lot of power but doesnt really need a dj. Unless you want to of course :grin:

It would have to be a xmas present to me though as im not paying anyone :D

He could just stand by the CD player and press the forward button a few times?

:clap: Greg!! We will get some excellent tunes to dance to!!!!

so far thats 6 people coming (for those that could be persuaded by the chocolate, I will be handing out blocks of Dairy Milk at the door... large ones!!!) and Im working on getting SpinDr there as well :wink: come SD.. you KNOW you want to :wink: (I'll wear the blue dress :whistle: )

Paul F
28th-October-2005, 09:35 AM
Its still a while off yet so I wouldnt imagine a lot of people would know whats happening.

There isnt much competition when it comes to renting rooms on Xmas day so I will only be booking at the end of november so plenty of time.

If it helps, I have arranged for there to be little traffic on the road that day! ;)

Dizzy
28th-October-2005, 09:40 AM
If it helps, I have arranged for there to be little traffic on the road that day! ;)

Just a thought but it will be a hell of a journey down to your neck of the woods on public transport. :what:

LMC
28th-October-2005, 09:43 AM
If I come along I can collect from Herts/North London - first 3 PMs get space.

I can't decide yet - not because I think I'll be getting a better offer but because my time horizon doesn't extend that far. Ask me in a week's time.

Paul F
28th-October-2005, 09:43 AM
Just a thought but it will be a hell of a journey down to your neck of the woods on public transport. :what:

There will be some special forum taxi journeys I believe. :nice:
I will sort out all the details nearer the time :cheers:

KatieR
28th-October-2005, 09:45 AM

I might look into perhaps hiring a car for a couple of days.... not sure of cost though but I can report back....

Stu
31st-October-2005, 08:26 AM
We will have a small but
intimate venue, unless loads of people say they want to come, with drinks and food.

Its likely to be near Woking but, again, this could be flexible.

I may be able to arrange a the (massive) hall in the school that I work at in Reading, please tell me if there is any interest????

KatieR
1st-November-2005, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Stu]I may be able to arrange a the (massive) hall in the school that I work at in Reading, please tell me if there is any interest????

Will have to check with Paul F, I know he had something in the pipeline.

Sheepman
1st-November-2005, 01:14 PM
It would have to be a xmas present to me though as im not paying anyone :D I'd kind of assumed that anyway. And I'd assumed there wouldn't be too many complaints if the CDs were just playing, 'cos I'd have to be dancing. :nice:

Greg

Paul F
2nd-November-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, I cant say my life is predictable at the moment.

I have recently started seeing someone I have known for a while and we were chatting last weekend. The outcome of it was that I was going to go and spend xmas with her.
Im really sorry for those that had wanted to come round to my pad. I hope someone still sorts something out.

To be honest, I dont know what im playing at. Usually I would break up with someone just before any major gift-giving occasion :wink: :waycool:

LMC
2nd-November-2005, 03:35 PM
Congratulations - cancelling for all the best reasons :D

dee
3rd-November-2005, 02:12 PM
To be honest, I dont know what im playing at. Usually I would break up with someone just before any major gift-giving occasion :wink: :waycool:

Gosh you sound like me, but then i don't have anyone to dump this year :rofl:

Lets hope it all works out for you :flower:

So is it xmas at the donkey's house ? i have heard he makes a nice cheese cake :drool:

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-November-2005, 02:19 PM
Gosh you sound like me, but then i don't have anyone to dump this year :rofl:

Lets hope it all works out for you :flower:

So is it xmas at the donkey's house ? i have heard he makes a nice cheese cake :drool:Sure, the invitation is open. I'm just wondering about the Christmas night dancing though. My living room isn't *that* big...

Lucy Locket
12th-December-2005, 10:31 PM
Well i have plenty of room so if anyone wants to come up here they are welcome as long as they bring a bottle or 2 or 3. Welcome to crash too. Might need to bring a sleeping bag though.
:flower:

TheTramp
13th-December-2005, 12:42 AM
Me too. I'll even provide a sleeping bag. And turkey! :D

Missy D
13th-December-2005, 09:32 AM
I have a sleeping bag, one cracker nailed to the wall and a tin of cat food.

TheTramp
13th-December-2005, 10:23 AM
How could anyone turn down an offer like that?? :sick:

Missy D
13th-December-2005, 10:25 AM
How could anyone turn down an offer like that?? :sick:

I might even have a tin of semolina that i could bring along too:rofl:

senorita
13th-December-2005, 10:26 AM

Gosh....how the hell am I suppose to pull that cracker??:rofl:

Cant eat cat food though...I'm not eating solids at the mo :sad:

Anyway I am alone xmas day too :tears: so if ya wanna do anything and ya sister..but dont corrupt my little innocent mind please :innocent:

TheTramp
13th-December-2005, 10:33 AM
but dont corrupt my little innocent mind please :innocent:
No chance (that they won't)!! :yum:

CJ
13th-December-2005, 11:53 AM
Is this for real?!?

If so, I might be tempted...

Plan A is I'll be near Birmingham for a couple of hours on Christmas Day:tears: :clap: :confused: :sick: :tears: , but might be tempted to foray a little further south.:worthy:

Oh, and plan C is Forth Road Bridge, so my hopes are kinda pinned on plans A&B!!:rofl:

I'll bring trifle??:D :D :D

KatieR
13th-December-2005, 12:09 PM
Is this for real?!?

If so, I might be tempted...

Unfortunately there has been no big dance party organised due to some unforseen circumstances, I think there are other lunches being put on by various forumites, however, Im going to live it up in the luxury of my own home, with lots of chocolate, fried foods and movies. :rolleyes:

But you are always welcome (especially if there is trifle involved). :flower:

Shaz
14th-December-2005, 06:55 PM
Nobody wants to come to our house ANYTIME cors we smoke :tears: and if we go visiting we get shoved outside in the cold for a ciggie :sad:

Trinity
14th-December-2005, 08:59 PM
Nobody wants to come to our house ANYTIME cors we smoke :tears: and if we go visiting we get shoved outside in the cold for a ciggie :sad:
Give up then :rolleyes:

Shaz
14th-December-2005, 09:26 PM
Give up then :rolleyes:
I would if my partner did - but he is happy smoking and it is hard to do it by yourself - my sister drives me mad nagging me !

Trinity
14th-December-2005, 09:37 PM
I would if my partner did - but he is happy smoking and it is hard to do it by yourself - my sister drives me mad nagging me !

Sorry I don't understand :what:
Why not do something for yourself? Just because your partner does it doesn't mean you have to surely :eek: