PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in West London?

Misty
27th-October-2005, 02:04 PM
I will be spending some time in West London over the next couple of weeks (staying near North Acton tube). I would really appreciate any suggestions of good places to go dancing (Mon-Thurs evenings)? This will be the first time I venture out away from the crowd I know!

Russell Saxby
27th-October-2005, 02:07 PM
I will be spending some time in West London over the next couple of weeks (staying near North Acton tube). I would really appreciate any suggestions of good places to go dancing (Mon-Thurs evenings)? This will be the first time I venture out away from the crowd I know!

Welcome Misty....

and where would your local crowd be???

Russell

TiggsTours
27th-October-2005, 02:18 PM

Monday - Jango, Kent House, Hammersmith
Tuesday - My non-dancing night, so don't know
Wednesday - Ashtons, Cricklewood (music has been fab for the last 2 weeks!)
Thursday - Fulham, or I've heard Clapham is good

Whereabouts do you live usually? If you would rather turn up at venues with someone, I'd be happy to meet up with you and introduce you to a few people.

Jooles
27th-October-2005, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=TiggsToursThursday - Fulham, or I've heard Clapham is good

No Clapham on Thursday I think - Monday or Wednesday

Divissima
27th-October-2005, 02:36 PM

The good news is that there's plenty of choice - I'm not sure from your post whether you'll have access to a car or whether public transport is the only option. It won't limit your choices much, either way. Also not sure how well you know London and the tube and rail network.

It is a shame that Ealing on Tuesdays is now closed until after Christmas as I think that would have been the closest to you. However your choices in central and west London include:

Monday nights you have Twickenham or Clapham (both Ceroc) and Jango. I've not been to Twickenham myself, but I've heard good things about it. I think the only way to get there is overground rail, but you might be able to get a train from Acton Central to Richmond and change. There are a couple of the regular Taxi dancers from Twickenham on the Forum so I'm sure you could persuade them to give you some more info. Jango I know more about as I help run it - we are closest to Hammersmith tube but if you want to come along, private message me for directions from the station or any other info you need. I'm afraid I don't know much about Clapham.

Tuesday nights you have ISH which is by Great Portland Street tube - not been but heard many great things. I think Tuesday might also be ceroc in Hayes which is further west from Acton.

Wednesday nights is the fantastic Jive Bar close to Russell Square Tube. Always a great night there. Also Ashtons in Cricklewood - also a great night. When I go to Cricklewood I normally take the overground rail but I think it is fairly close to a tube station (just can't remember which one).

Thursday nights you might try ceroc at Fulham Town Hall - usually one of the biggest weeknights in London. It is opposite Fulham Broadway tube.

You are bound to meet loads of Forumites at any of these venues and if you post up where you are going on the day people know to look out for you.

These are just a few possibilities - there are plenty more, not least venues to the north and east of central London so I am hopeful someone will make up for my shortcomings and fill you in on those.

LMC
27th-October-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi Misty

If you can cope with central London, there is International Students House (right opposite Great Portland St tube) on Tuesdays and the Jive Bar (nr Russell Square tube) on Wednesdays.

EDIT: cross-post with Divissima's far more detailed list :)

Tessalicious
27th-October-2005, 03:06 PM
Another shameless plug for Greenford Thursdays - only three stops on the tube from North Acton, several forumites in regular attendance, and plenty of room for dancing. See you there? Come over and say hi, I'll be in the Taxi Rank.

Misty
27th-October-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow! What a great response already.

Earlier today I was feeling disappointed that I'd miss my usual classes - I normally dance in and around Bristol. Now I'm excited at the thought of these new places to try :). When I get some time I'll get the maps out and try and come up with a plan. I expect I'll have a car there, but I'm not great at trying to drive and navigate at the same time - especially not in London and in the dark. So my preferred option will be tube or train, or maybe if it's only a few miles then cycle (much easier to turn around when you realise you've taken the wrong turning...)

I'll let you know what my plans are and it would be great to meet some of you - I've looked at the forum before but I've not found the nerve/incentive to actually post. Now I've started I just hope it's not going to be a slippery slope.

Thanks again :cheers:

David Bailey
27th-October-2005, 04:30 PM
{ snip excellent list )
These are just a few possibilities - there are plenty more, not least venues to the north and east of central London so I am hopeful someone will make up for my shortcomings and fill you in on those.
OK, I'll take North London.

(FPL = "Forumite presence likely", NKF = "No known forumites" - at least, known to me...)

Monday: All Saints, Whetstone (http://www.cerocmetro.com/finchley.html) (FPL - me and ESG) and O2 Centre, Swiss Cottage (http://www.ceroclondon.com/finchley.htm) (NKF)
Tuesday: All Saints, Whetstone (FPL - Robin), and ISH (FPL - Foxylady & more) as mentioned above and Watford (http://www.ceroclondon.com/watford.htm) (NKF).
Wednesday: Ashtons as described before (FPL - Tiggstours & others)
Thursday: Harrow (http://www.ceroclondon.com/stanmore.htm) (NKF)

The North London Ceroc franchises are Ceroc London (http://www.ceroclondon.com/) (!) and Ceroc metro (http://www.cerocmetro.com/).

Hope that helps. And welcome!

Blimey, there's a lot of stuff happening in London isn't there?

LMC
27th-October-2005, 04:33 PM
I shall probably also be at Finchley/Whetstone on the Monday. And Tessalicious taxis at O2 - so will probably be there, or if she's off-duty, at Finchley too.

ChrisA
27th-October-2005, 04:33 PM
I think the only way to get there (Twickenham) is overground rail, but you might be able to get a train from Acton Central to Richmond and change.
Both true. North London Link line to Richmond, only 3 minutes from there to Twickenham.

Twickenham Ceroc is less than 5 minutes walk from Twickenham station, through the door on the left here, behind the silver car (http://www.ceroclondon.com/twickenham.htm).

Beginners 7.45 - 8.30; Intermediates 8.45 - 9.15, Freestyle till 10.45.

LMC
27th-October-2005, 04:43 PM
www.tfl.gov.uk - go to Journey Planner and plug in your start and end points for instructions on best route. Includes overland, tubes, buses, DLR, walking and even river ferry services! - you can exclude modes of transport you don't want to use. Dead handy if you don't know London's transport networks that well and don't want to look up 12,000 different timetables (OK, that's a slight exaggeration...)

Paul F
27th-October-2005, 11:34 PM
I'll let you know what my plans are and it would be great to meet some of you - I've looked at the forum before but I've not found the nerve/incentive to actually post. Now I've started I just hope it's not going to be a slippery slope.

Thanks again :cheers:

Hiya Misty :flower:

You've done it now. One post and the forum takes control :) No turning back!

Seriously though, welcome to the forum :hug:

Dont let it be intimidating. Everyone IS really friendly. Ok, there are some heated debates and the odd argument but as soon as everyone realises that I am always right, that will all stop :whistle:

Oh, and a little word of warning. If you are thinking about cycling around west london be very careful. Firstly its not the most cycle friendly place and secondly I drive around there quite often :cool:

Lynn
28th-October-2005, 12:38 AM
You've done it now. One post and the forum takes control :) No turning back! :yeah: :rofl: As per new sig...

David Franklin
28th-October-2005, 08:50 AM
Oh, and a little word of warning. If you are thinking about cycling around west london be very careful. Firstly its not the most cycle friendly place and secondly I drive around there quite often :cool:Would those two facts be related, by any chance...?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/scarletfever/bikeaccident.jpg

Paul F
28th-October-2005, 09:32 AM
Would those two facts be related, by any chance...?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/scarletfever/bikeaccident.jpg

:what: I hope thats a computer generated image!! Poor guy!

I am lucky enough not to have had a serious accident yet (touch wood). I wouldnt attempt to cycle in London though. Where I am in Surrey is bad enough as the roads are just glorified country roads in effect. Many dont even have street lighting. :tears:

Paul F
28th-October-2005, 09:33 AM
:yeah: :rofl: As per new sig...

:rofl: Thats a very apt signature Lynn :grin:

Lee
28th-October-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi Misty

Monday nights you have Twickenham or Clapham (both Ceroc) and Jango. I've not been to Twickenham myself, but I've heard good things about it. I think the only way to get there is overground rail, but you might be able to get a train from Acton Central to Richmond and change. There are a couple of the regular Taxi dancers from Twickenham on the Forum so I'm sure you could persuade them to give you some more info. Jango I know more about as I help run it - we are closest to Hammersmith tube but if you want to come along, private message me for directions from the station or any other info you need. I'm afraid I don't know much about Clapham.

Wednesday nights is the fantastic Jive Bar close to Russell Square Tube. Always a great night there. Also Ashtons in Cricklewood - also a great night. When I go to Cricklewood I normally take the overground rail but I think it is fairly close to a tube station (just can't remember which one).

Hi Misty,

What is your primarily requirement from a venue?

Great dancers, a good social scene, the music, the nearest venue.

In SW London:

Monday is at the Grand in Clapham Junction, whereas on Wed it is at Wessex House in Clapham Junction. I go on Wed and think it is a great (younger) crowd and a great venue. You tend to get more beginners there though because of the busking done every other week.

I’ve heard Fulham on Thursday is a place to go for better dancers.
I like Jango at Hammersmith for something slightly different.
I love Twickenham as Val & Dave teacher there, but it's a little bit of an older crowd.

Lee

Misty
30th-October-2005, 08:03 PM
My first evening in London will be this coming Thursday. I may be too tired to dance as I'll have had an early start, but if I do make it, Fulham sounds good and not too diffficult to get to. Though if I'm only semi-too tired Greenford would be an easy option... I'll post on Thursday when I know.

If you would rather turn up at venues with someone, I'd be happy to meet up with you and introduce you to a few people.

Thanks. If I do make it to Fulham it would be good to meet someone there.

The following week it looks like being Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in London. Would like to try Jango out of curiosity, but again it'll be an early start so may be to tired. Watch this space... Haven't had time to plan (yes this is my version of planning) Tuesday or Wednesday yet.

Thanks again to everyone who's made suggestions - it's been a great help.

:cheers:

Misty
30th-October-2005, 08:05 PM
What is your primarily requirement from a venue?

Great dancers, a good social scene, the music, the nearest venue.

Lee

All of the above! :grin:

Allez-Cat
31st-October-2005, 02:24 AM
"I think Tuesday might also be ceroc in Hayes which is further west from Acton."

Caution! The Hayes venue is Bromley, Kent, not West London - and it's a Monday. Check Ceroc Kent for details.

David Bailey
31st-October-2005, 09:01 AM
My first evening in London will be this coming Thursday. I may be too tired to dance as I'll have had an early start, but if I do make it, Fulham sounds good and not too diffficult to get to. Though if I'm only semi-too tired Greenford would be an easy option... I'll post on Thursday when I know.
It'd be very interesting if you were to post a review of the venue(s) you go to, approaching it from a newbie point-of-view?

There's a "feedback" thread here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6574), which would be nice to keep going I think.

Misty
3rd-November-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm planning on trying Fulham this evening. Doubt I'll make it for the start but hope to be there for 8.15 (initial freestyle according to the website).

Will anyone from here be there?