PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool, are you?

Keith
27th-October-2005, 01:21 PM
Blackpool Competition/Weekender is nearly upon us once again.
Being the largest Competition in the UK Jive calendar, I was wondering who's going and if not why not?
After having very little in the North/Northwest, some 5 years plus ago, we are now very lucky having some truly great events.
What are you doing this time; Fri 3rd - Sun 5th March?

Divissima
27th-October-2005, 02:49 PM
If we aren't on our belated honeymoon in Australia, we'll be in Blackpool :waycool:

Yeah, baby :clap: I've even found myself a partner (well, almost):blush:

Paul F
27th-October-2005, 02:53 PM
Yep, I will be there.

I really enjoy this one as I usually have room to dance :clap:

And, of course, I cant miss Tony's MCing :D

Missy D
27th-October-2005, 02:57 PM
Ah this was the first place that I ever competed. I had only been dancing a year and my partner entered me in the advanced. I remember being so nervous. If I can find a dance partner then I will be there:)

Simon r
27th-October-2005, 03:17 PM
Think i might be able to make that weekend could you give us a bit more notice next time.....
Si

Mary
27th-October-2005, 03:43 PM
Think we're planning to be there as well. I've even turned down a skiing holiday for it :tears:

M

ElaineB
27th-October-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes, Simon and I will be there!!!!!! Looking forward to it as ever! and even have a new outfit lined up! :D So you see Simon, October is never to early to start to advertise for March! Just need to find some new shoes.......... :whistle:

Elaine

Paul F
27th-October-2005, 05:30 PM
Think we're planning to be there as well. I've even turned down a skiing holiday for it :tears:

M

Its the right thing to do. :hug:

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 08:15 AM
I really enjoy this one as I usually have room to dance :clap:

For those of us who are pig-ignorant like me, what actually happens at this weekend? (I'm talking about dancing, get your minds out of the gutters people)

I kind of assumed it was all competitions, how much freestyling is there? How much do people mix and match, is it like a normal weekender that way or what?

I'm going right off the idea of Storm, and I suspect I'll be the only dancer left in London on that weekend at this rate, so I'm casting around for alternatives...

And, yes I've looked at the website (http://www.achance2dance.co.uk/), but it's not very detailed...

under par
28th-October-2005, 08:28 AM
For those of us who are pig-ignorant like me, what actually happens at this weekend? (I'm talking about dancing, get your minds out of the gutters people)

I kind of assumed it was all competitions, how much freestyling is there? How much do people mix and match, is it like a normal weekender that way or what?

I'm going right off the idea of Storm, and I suspect I'll be the only dancer left in London on that weekend at this rate, so I'm casting around for alternatives...

And, yes I've looked at the website (http://www.achance2dance.co.uk/), but it's not very detailed...
The Friday night is at a really lovely venue and there is plenty of freestyle going on but there is also a lot of last minute practising going on too. I wasn't competing the only time I have been but Mrs Par was soI remember having a really great night freestyling in the Spanish Room (I think it was called!).

The Saturday was lots of small periods of freestyle on the main floor all day interspersed with the heats from the competition.

The spectacle is worth seeing the atmosphere is really great and the dancing very good.

IT IS NOT A WEEKENDER.

Nor is there nearly as much freestyle time or any lessons etc as a weekender.

Sunday its every man for them selves nothing really too organised although a visit to the Tower Ball Room was entertaining.

A nice different weekend experience with northern accents and mushy peas too. Worth a go at least once if you are not the competitive sort.

ElaineB
28th-October-2005, 08:58 AM
The Friday night is at a really lovely venue and there is plenty of freestyle going on but there is also a lot of last minute practising going on too. I wasn't competing the only time I have been but Mrs Par was soI remember having a really great night freestyling in the Spanish Room (I think it was called!).

The Saturday was lots of small periods of freestyle on the main floor all day interspersed with the heats from the competition.

The spectacle is worth seeing the atmosphere is really great and the dancing very good.

IT IS NOT A WEEKENDER.

Nor is there nearly as much freestyle time or any lessons etc as a weekender.

Sunday its every man for them selves nothing really too organised although a visit to the Tower Ball Room was entertaining.

A nice different weekend experience with northern accents and mushy peas too. Worth a go at least once if you are not the competitive sort.

Re the atmosphere - you really should experience it!!! The Scottish are amazing!! The first time I went, they announced their arrival with a set of bagpipes and were in full voice! :worthy: Bristol and Cardiff try, but I am not sure we even get close to their volume! :flower:

As for Sunday, the Bristol and Cardiff contingent seem to manage to end up at the Ballroom every year, but we leave too early to do it real justice!

Elaine

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 09:03 AM
Hmm. It sounds nice, but also not really for me.

And this armband thing at Storm really puts me off.

So I guess the question is: what's going on in London on that weekend? :tears:

Paul F
28th-October-2005, 09:24 AM
For me Blackpool represents a particularly special and unique event.

This is not just some town hall, as good as they are. This is a collection of the very finest dancers in a magnificent venue (Blackpool Winter Gardens). Some how it just 'feels' like a championship.

The Friday night dance is a lot of fun, the b+b's are relatively inexpensive at that time of year and you get to paddle in the sewage! Ok, its much better now than it used to be. I believe its blue-flagged now :blush:
If you come along dont forget the suncream though. Blackpool can get pretty tropical at that time of year :grin:

As long as things run on time there should be regular blocks of freestyle. I think last year they ran behind time somewhat so there was 1 or 2 tracks of freestyle. Pretty pointless IMO but hopefully this year all will run to plan.
The Scottish crowd DO really make a difference. I think thats mostly due to the fact that its in Blackpool. Makes it a lot fairer for the chaps and chapesses from north of the border.

I hear the tower dance on the Sunday is nice. Its not a private event so you get to see many different styles there. I think its just a good excuse to dance in the tower ballroom!

All in all this is considered by many to be the premier competitive event of the year and I would have to agree.

ps. whatever DJ chooses will be correct as he is always right :wink:

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 10:31 AM
ps. whatever DJ chooses will be correct as he is always right :wink:
Excellent, your training programme is coming along nicely I see.

Honestly, it sounds lovely, but I get very bored just sitting around watching people dance. I'd like to get the DVD of last year's event, but it sounds like that's not going to happen any time soon.

Oh well, looks like it'll be DVD-and-pizza fest for me. :tears:

Angelina
28th-October-2005, 02:54 PM
Hello there,

It's great to see how many of you are preparing for Blackpool 2006 (as we are, and have been since the 7th March this year!) :clap:

Quick run down of what is happening in Blackpool 3rd - 5th March 2006

Friday 3rd March (Tickets £15) - Freestyle night in the Spanish Rooms, Winter Gardens (may have a taster class from one or more of the judges!) not forgetting the Midnight Munchies!:drool:

Saturday 4th March (Tickets £25) - The UK Open Jive Competition 2006, Empress Ballroom, Winter Gardens, Competition and freestyle throughout the day, Finals around 7pm and after the awards:worthy: there will be freestyle until 2am!

Sunday 5th March (Tickets via Tower) - Tea dance at the Tower Ballroom, Blackpool Tower

Weekender Packages inc accommodation and shuttle bus available visit - www.achance2dance.co.uk

If you would like any more info please PM me!

Also we have the new flyers/ booking forms being delivered today, so if you would like me to send you some (or if you run a venue - a lot, and a special gift:wink: ) PM me your address and i will pop them in the post to you.

I would like to thank you all again on behalf of A Chance 2 Dance Ltd, for your continued support and here's to Blackpool 2006 being the best yet :cheers:

Look forward to hearing from you soon

Angelina, Sue and Tony
x-x-x

Paul F
28th-October-2005, 02:56 PM
...... freestyle until 2am!
x-x-x

Thankyou :worthy: :worthy:
This is superb. :clap:

ChrisA
28th-October-2005, 03:13 PM
Saturday [/B]4th March (Tickets £25) - The UK Open Jive Competition 2006, Empress Ballroom, Winter Gardens, Competition and freestyle throughout the day, Finals around 7pm and after the awards:worthy: there will be freestyle until 2am!

Still no Open category, though.

:tears:

Angelina
28th-October-2005, 04:38 PM
Still no Open category, though.

:tears:

This is True.

As a Company we dont feel our Competition would benefit from having such a category at the moment. Also looking at other competitions that do have them it has only emphasised this. (other categories suffering etc..):confused:

We feel our Advanced section is the best dancers competing against the best no matter whether you teach or not - and this year we have changed the rules to allow 2 airsteps ONLY in this section (Due to feedback from previous years)

We have discussed this at length and we feel Our Categories are clear precise and work well.

If it aint broke?

:flower:

dee
28th-October-2005, 05:07 PM
Ah this was the first place that I ever competed. I had only been dancing a year and my partner entered me in the advanced. I remember being so nervous. If I can find a dance partner then I will be there:)

And i thought we were going to Storm? or did you forget? :flower:

Missy D
28th-October-2005, 05:14 PM
And i thought we were going to Storm? or did you forget? :flower:

Who:confused:

Yeah well i am having a very stressful week! I dont even know who i am! If you look i have been posting since 5am today as I cant even sleep. And where am i now? oh I am at work! oh and why? oh because my boss has gone to Greece leaving her 96 year old yes 96 year old mother in law with me.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! Where the falls back exhausted smiley icon Franck?

ChrisA
28th-October-2005, 05:48 PM
We feel our Advanced section is the best dancers competing against the best no matter whether you teach or not

Totally agree with the "whether you teach or not" idea, but the situation is still that people well-known as advanced dancers are likely to stay back in Intermediates precisely because they know they aren't at the level of the "best"... or else end up standing no chance whatsoever and getting to dance in only one round. Which is very soul destroying once you've worked hard, spent a considerable amount of money and travelled hundreds of miles.

You guys have a great organisation, and you're already gutsy enough not to have to copy everyone else... so how about having the balls to split Advanced into, say Advanced and Open, but allow teachers into the new mid-level category as well as the Open?

In other words, remove the teacher/non-teacher split, and make it truly on the basis of ability. :clap:

You must know as well as everyone else that being a teacher doesn't make you a fantastic competition dancer, and I can't imagine that the Phil/Yukos or Simon/Lisas of this world would get much pleasure (or credibility) from entering at too low a level for them. So no one that really was outstanding would want to enter below their stature.

We have discussed this at length and we feel Our Categories are clear precise and work well.

They're certainly clear. But I don't think they address the anomalies I've described.

:flower:

Jive Brummie
31st-October-2005, 05:36 PM
Blackpool Competition/Weekender is nearly upon us once again.
Being the largest Competition in the UK Jive calendar, I was wondering who's going and if not why not?
After having very little in the North/Northwest, some 5 years plus ago, we are now very lucky having some truly great events.
What are you doing this time; Fri 3rd - Sun 5th March?

Thanks for the poll Keith, I was going to do it but didn't know how:blush:

James:cheers:

Jive Brummie
31st-October-2005, 05:48 PM
This is the highlight of my and Melanie's dancing year. In our eyes it's the best competitive dance event going.

I absolutely love the buzz of seeing everyone 'in-the-zone' for the competition and giving it their level best...something which seems to get even better every year.

For those that enjoy competition it provides an amount of focus that no other competition seems capable of doing in that so many people from all over the uk really try and give it their best not only to do themselves proud but also the area of which they come from, as can be noticed by the cheers from the Scot's, Welsh and folk from Bristol.

Needless to say, while we still have a breath in our bodies, Melanie and I will be there...doing the interemediate!:rofl:

just joking, we'll be doing advanced.

JB.

p.s. despite the fact we are utter pants at aerials, I like the new rule.

Dance Demon
31st-October-2005, 07:42 PM
This is the highlight of my and Melanie's dancing year. In our eyes it's the best competitive dance event going.

I absolutely love the buzz of seeing everyone 'in-the-zone' for the competition and giving it their level best...something which seems to get even better every year.

For those that enjoy competition it provides an amount of focus that no other competition seems capable of doing in that so many people from all over the uk really try and give it their best not only to do themselves proud but also the area of which they come from, as can be noticed by the cheers from the Scot's, Welsh and folk from Bristol.

Needless to say, while we still have a breath in our bodies, Melanie and I will be there...doing the interemediate!:rofl:

just joking, we'll be doing advanced.

JB.

p.s. despite the fact we are utter pants at aerials, I like the new rule.
:yeah: .........I'll be there, and the lovely Heather & me will be having another go at the intermediates....oh, and I think I might be bringing my box of CDs along too.........:D

Jive Brummie
1st-November-2005, 11:50 AM
:yeah: .........I'll be there, and the lovely Heather & me will be having another go at the intermediates....oh, and I think I might be bringing my box of CDs along too.........:D

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Andy McGregor
1st-November-2005, 06:09 PM
...doing the interemediate!:rofl:Aren't we all :devil:

But what JB and I would really like to enter is a beginners competition :whistle:

Jive Brummie
2nd-November-2005, 07:14 PM
Aren't we all :devil:

But what JB and I would really like to enter is a beginners competition :whistle:

Now you're talking...

alex
2nd-November-2005, 08:15 PM
As a Company we dont feel our Competition would benefit from having such a category at the moment. Also looking at other competitions that do have them it has only emphasised this. (other categories suffering etc..) We feel our Advanced section is the best dancers competing against the best no matter whether you teach or noti was chatting with someone last night about competitions. she had been dancing about 18 months, and had been to blackpool and hammersmith. she enjoyed watching, but would never take part. her argument was that there werent any categories for intermediates.

i see her point. noone in the intermediate final dances anything like the people i see in any intermedaite class. same with the dance with a stranger.

it always seems to be the better dancers complaining about the levels at the top end of the pyramid. i think a bigger problem may be at the base of the pyramid?

alex

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-November-2005, 05:12 PM
i see her point. noone in the intermediate final dances anything like the people i see in any intermedaite class. same with the dance with a stranger.

Why on earth would you expect intermediate finalists to dance like you see people dance in an intermediate class? For one - competition dancing is a very different beast to dancing in a class - and two - finalists are the top percent of dancers who come from all over the country to compete, there are a lot of dance venues Im sure you've not been to in your life.

it always seems to be the better dancers complaining about the levels at the top end of the pyramid. i think a bigger problem may be at the base of the pyramid?

As ChrisA points out, some dancers stay in the intermediates because they feel they are not ready to compete at the next level. The intermediate at blackpool seems to be of a much better standard than competiitions with intermediate, advanced and open catagories. Saying that though, I think it would be a shame to lose that level of quality, because it also exists in the advanced catagory. The Blackpool catagories work well I think, and whilst adding an open catagory would spread out the talent, I dont see how that would be of benefit to the competition itself or the actual competitors (other than making it easier). If you get into any final at Blackpool you've had to be very, very good to get there.

alex
3rd-November-2005, 08:36 PM
Why on earth would you expect intermediate finalists to dance like you see people dance in an intermediate class?it might have something to do with the name

The intermediate at blackpool seems to be of a much better standard than competiitions with intermediate, advanced and open catagories.undoubtedly it is, because it is full of all the advanced dancers from the other comps.

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-November-2005, 11:40 PM
it might have something to do with the name

Silly you then - if you ask for a "Cola" you could get Pepsi or Coke but it isnt the same drink :) An intermediate catagory will differ across different competitions as has been pointed out before ,you tend to get "advanced" dancers in C2D Blackpools intermediate catagory, which is fair enough as long as the rules are adhered to. Intermediate classes will also differ depending on who is doing the teaching and almost never cover ANYTHING to do with dancing specifically in competitions. There's nothing to say you need to have gone to any classes to enter a competition and do well, as I'm sure some have. The name is the same, the meaning is not. Its this "meaning" that has caused many a very interesting thread on here in the past ;)

undoubtedly it is, because it is full of all the advanced dancers from the other comps.

Indeed, which is what makes it such a good competition.

alex
4th-November-2005, 09:39 AM
{snip}looks like we are saying the same thing. intermediate competitions, and especially the blackpool intermediate, are not for intermediate dancers.

Gus
4th-November-2005, 11:10 AM
looks like we are saying the same thing. intermediate competitions, and especially the blackpool intermediate, are not for intermediate dancers.Au contraire ... thats eEXACTLY who mainly compete. Look around the floor ... most of the dancers are intermediates ... some are pretty poor intermediates ... but that doesn't matter because they are enjoying competing!

For the VAST MAJORITY, competitions are NOT about winning ... its about taking part, pushing yourself etc. The people who win are, by definition, the best of the intermediates and so their ability will be borderline 'advanced'. Does that make some kind of sense?

Dreadful Scathe
4th-November-2005, 11:20 AM
looks like we are saying the same thing. intermediate competitions, and especially the blackpool intermediate, are not for intermediate dancers.

Not quite :) "Intermediate competitions" are one thing, "Intermediate classes" yet another. "Intermediate Dancers" really depends on the context: in a class situation it would be after you've done quite a few intermediate classes, because until you have learnt something at that level you cant be intermediate. In the context of a competition its anyone who enters the intermediate catagory - and heres where the contention comes in, people will argue that 'John Smith' is not an intermediate dancer as hes been dancing for 5 years or that 'Gill Smith' is too good for the intermediate because although she has done jive for 2 weeks she has a background in dance...etc...people just like complaining ;) My opinion is that you need to be aware of what the standard is so you can better prepare yourself, but moaning about the standard is futile - its up to the competition organisers what their rules will be and competition rules have changed slightly over the years as comments have come in.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-November-2005, 11:29 AM
Au contraire ... thats eEXACTLY who mainly compete. Look around the floor ... most of the dancers are intermediates ... some are pretty poor intermediates ... but that doesn't matter because they are enjoying competing!

Good point. People are quite willing to complain that others are 'too good' for the intermediate catagory but they never complain that people are 'too poor' as it gives them a better chance :) So maybe the comments on the high standard is a subtle cry of 'please competition organiser, make sure everyone in this catagory is worse than me so I can win' ;) For a few people that may well be the case but thats not a bad thing, its human instinct to want to win.

Jive Brummie
10th-January-2006, 05:48 PM
So to repeat the initial question....who's going?

Not long now...:clap:

James.

Keith
11th-January-2006, 12:31 AM
Yep, Still going :grin:
We are now taking one other though.
Little Mischa will be joining us & although not an ardent competitor, she does love to watch the best do their stuff!
:wink:

johnah
11th-January-2006, 01:37 PM
So to repeat the initial question....who's going?

Not long now...:clap:

James.

Around 30 of us will be there too! Same crew as were in Musselborough for the Scottish Champs I should think. Lovely memories of our time north of the border! :wink:

See you in Scarborough next month, and don't forget to bring the lovely Melanie with you!!

Jive Brummie
11th-January-2006, 05:57 PM
Around 30 of us will be there too! Same crew as were in Musselborough for the Scottish Champs I should think. Lovely memories of our time north of the border! :wink:

See you in Scarborough next month, and don't forget to bring the lovely Melanie with you!!

I think she'll be making an appearance:wink:

Lorna
12th-January-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi guys,

yep I've secured a pass for this year's event. Never been before so really looking forward to it. :clap:

Rarely get out to these events. As most of you know I have a young family, but managed to persuade hubby to let me go this year mainly because I told him that I want to compete. Fool that I am!!:what:

So looking forward to seeing you all there and of course supporting all the other competitors. Oh my god, it's only about 8 weeks away isn't it?

Has anyone found out the rule about aerials in the advanced yet?

2 per round or 2 per track??

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Keith
12th-January-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi Lorna,
2 Airsteps are allowed.
Good luck & have fun.
Keith

David Franklin
12th-January-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Lorna,
2 Airsteps are allowed.
Good luck & have fun.
Keith:confused: I don't see how this answers her question.

Keith
12th-January-2006, 03:57 PM
:confused: I don't see how this answers her question.

Uhm Neither do I :confused:
Per Track is the correct answer
:blush:

marty_baby
12th-January-2006, 04:01 PM
Glads thats sorted.... kinda.... :na:

...next question... whats an "airstep"???

Is it something along the lines of "ladies lowest foot is below the blokes waist?

ChrisA
12th-January-2006, 04:06 PM
...next question... whats an "airstep"???

Is it something along the lines of "ladies lowest foot is below the blokes waist?
Nope, that's the definition of a non-airstep :na:

That one is actually defined quite unambiguously in the rules given in the leaflet. Although the definition they use still allows lots of lifts and other big moves - it's a definition that allows much more than other comps.

ChrisA
12th-January-2006, 04:08 PM
I have another question, though, if Keith is still about:

This one concerns the music.

Can you tell us how many tracks we get to dance to in each round?

Keith
12th-January-2006, 04:28 PM
I have another question, though, if Keith is still about:

This one concerns the music.

Can you tell us how many tracks we get to dance to in each round?

This may be a little more awkward to answer, as the music & exact timing for the event is normally finalised within the last month.
It may be worth emailing them direct, around the 2nd week in Feb.

Lorna
12th-January-2006, 04:54 PM
thank you Keith and everyone else.

See you there,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Angelina
12th-January-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi there

Just to confirm all that Keith has posted above

Airsteps - 2 aloud per track in the advanced section
non-airstep - one leg below partners waist

Number of tracks per round - This is finalised 2nd week in Feb as Keith mentioned so if you want to pm me around the 20th Feb i shouold be able to clarify that.

Thanks for helping out with all that Keith!

See you soon
Angie x

Lucy Locket
13th-October-2006, 09:24 AM
who's starting the 2007 thread?
who's going?
what's happening?

fletch
13th-October-2006, 09:28 AM
who's going?
what's happening?

Hi Lucy

I don't know who to do polls,:confused: proberbly a good job :eek:

I havn't book cos of sorting baby sitting out, but I would think I will be there, its quite close for me :clap:

Heather
13th-October-2006, 10:04 AM
who's going?
what's happening?

You ??:wink:

Well my sister + I are both going and David Chu is coming all the way back from Australia to dance with her !

:hug:
Heather

Achaeco
13th-October-2006, 03:37 PM
who's going?
what's happening?

Hello everyone.:grin:
Let me tell you about Blakpool 2007
To start - the dates are 16, 17 & 18th of March 2007.
This year due to so many requests we have moved the event to (OH MY GOD) the Blackpool Tower, so not only can you enjoy the Friday Freestyle, the Saturday comp and Freestyle and the Sunday Tea Dance but you can also enjoy all theTower attractions.

Lindsay
15th-October-2006, 05:18 PM
Hello everyone.:grin:
This year due to so many requests we have moved the event to (OH MY GOD) the Blackpool Tower, so not only can you enjoy the Friday Freestyle, the Saturday comp and Freestyle and the Sunday Tea Dance but you can also enjoy all theTower attractions.

:clap:

Rose
19th-October-2006, 05:10 PM
I didn't go last year but am sure looking forward to next year with my partner Paul. My first experience 2 years ago was so much fun. I was in the lucky dip and as I was waiting nervously in the long queue to take centre stage for the first time I spoke to some friendly girls from London telling them blushingly that this was my first time and I would probably end up dancing with someone much smaller than I:blush: . Me being 5.8"(and a worrier) and they told me to stop worrying and to enjoy!

No disrespect to smaller guys than me as 9 times out of 10 they are fabulous dancers but it is just the twirls that get to me sometimes. Anyway sure as guns I ended up with a guy who was about 5 ft and I think Japanese (fab dancer). I couldn't believe it but thought ok this is a challenge and somehow managed to duck on the dives as elegantly as possible and we both got through to the next round. What a confidence builder! WHAT A VENUE, WHAT A GREAT CROUD OF PEOPLE.:worthy: Don't know who I will end up with next year :innocent: - by the way Paul ended up dancing with the Scottish Champion in the lucky dip and we have learnt to stop worrying so much and enjoy the magic of the dance:love: