PDA

View Full Version : Does your partner dance?

ducasi
27th-October-2005, 01:09 PM
Just wondering how common or not dancing couples are...

So, (assuming you dance) does your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/partner/S.O./whatever dance?

And for discussion, is this a good or a bad thing?

(Hope my poll covers all possible situations...)

latinlover
27th-October-2005, 01:15 PM

it's a wonderful thing, cos she's the best and she dances all the best dances with me!:clap:

Gadget
27th-October-2005, 01:44 PM
Poll:Why dosn't your partner dance then? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3418)
Relationships inside/outside Ceroc (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2001)
Partners who don't dance (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180)

TiggsTours
27th-October-2005, 02:15 PM
it's a wonderful thing, cos she's the best and she dances all the best dances with me!:clap:
Aaaahh, that's just so lovely. :tears: (not sad ones, touched ones)

marty_baby
27th-October-2005, 03:37 PM
You missed one Ducasi...

12. I don't dance and neither does my partner!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

under par
27th-October-2005, 03:41 PM

Yeah I'm with you ther LL.:yeah: :clap: :clap: :clap: :flower:

But I'm on about my wife not yours!:flower:

ducasi
28th-October-2005, 12:06 AM
Let's get some discussion going...

I'm currently single... (I say "currently" as if it was just a weird temporary anomaly!)

I have two opposing thoughts...

1. I don't want to date anyone who doesn't dance, for all the obvious reasons...

2. I don't want to date someone who dances (at the same venue as me?) in case things don't work out and it gets awkward...

OK, the obvious answer is to date someone who goes to a different venue, but that's much harder to achieve, and if they live any distance away, much harder to make work.

Maybe the answer is to date an occasional dancer. That way they still understand the dancing thing, I can dance with them, but if it goes bad there's less likelihood of bumping into them every week...

What's a single dancer meant to do?

Night Owl
28th-October-2005, 12:36 AM

I'm currently single... (I say "currently" as if it was just a weird temporary anomaly!)

1. I don't want to date anyone who doesn't dance, for all the obvious reasons...

2. I don't want to date someone who dances (at the same venue as me?) in case things don't work out and it gets awkward...

OK, the obvious answer is to date someone who goes to a different venue, but that's much harder to achieve, and if they live any distance away, much harder to make work.

Maybe the answer is to date an occasional dancer. That way they still understand the dancing thing, I can dance with them, but if it goes bad there's less likelihood of bumping into them every week...

Can relate to all the above

Just starting a relation ship and she doesn`t dance ,,.. Yet tho working on it in fact i`ve just booked hotel for next BFG

As for long distance relation ships they don`t really work either tho Eastbourne may be was pushing it to extremes

Breaking up with some one in same venue well you just have to be adult about it move on and enjoy time with your next partner/s

Last one does sound good tho its just finding her good luck Duncan lifes not easy but heh look on the bright side.....

The BFG was BRILL and the next ones not that far away

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 11:59 AM
1. I don't want to date anyone who doesn't dance...
2. I don't want to date someone who dances....

:rofl:

stewart38
28th-October-2005, 12:01 PM

A single dancer is meant to have fun :clap:

I dont choose my partner based on wether they dance at local venue or one a 100 miles away or if there a young russian looking for a visa, ill take anyone

I married a cerocer who turned out to be mental (no she was mental)

Other long term partner (of yrs) went to ceroc 3 times and hated it, suited me I could go and leave her on the couch and go back to her still laying on the couch after a night of dancing (wonder why it didnt work out)

Must be TRUST if your partner is not dancer and sure can be problems if your ex dances at local venue. Depends on nature of split duration etc

Some local clubs do have a imbread problem so to get a more healthy genetic pool best to go outside

The biggest problem i could envisage was if a furture partner of mine really didnt like me going dancing !

Piglet
28th-October-2005, 12:51 PM
I've voted I'm single and happy :D

I have a lovely boyfriend who doesn't dance (but wouldn't term him a partner - yet!). I do drop it into the conversation now and again, but to be honest, its cool that we both do our own thing. I've no complaints - life is wonderful:) :nice: :grin: :D :clap:

Cruella
28th-October-2005, 01:21 PM
My husband doesn't dance. Sometimes i wish he did, so that we could share the experience of a really intense dance together. Work on new stuff, have him as my dance partner. Then other times i'm glad he doesn't. I wouldn't want him to come to weekenders with me as he really can't understand why i want to dance until the early hours of the morning. It would cause a row because he would want to go to bed at 12/1 ish whereas i want to stay up til the very last dance. I'm also very impatient and have taught him how to dance enough to take him to a freestyle. But personally get bored with his 6 moves if i'm dancing alot with him. I've tried to encourage him to go to the local venue without me to learn but he just say's he would rather i taught him. This is like teaching your partner how to drive, it really isn't a good idea. One day i'll get him to go though cos he picks it up really quickly and has good rythmn. He just won't admit that he enjoys it at all, but i have watched him at a freestyle with a big grin on his face dancing with lots of women. But at the end of the night when i ask "did you enjoy that?" he says "It was ok" :sad:

Baruch
29th-October-2005, 03:40 AM
I went for "My partner dances much less than me" although it's not out of choice. My wife has been ill a lot over the past year, so she doesn't get to come dancing as often as she would like, which she finds very frustrating :tears: When she does come, though, it's great - she's lovely to dance with :grin:

dee
30th-October-2005, 05:50 PM

I have always wondered what it would be like to go out with a dancer, but what would worry me the most is, if i did and it didn't work out, would it be really awkward if i was to bump into him again? i guess it all depends on why we split up in the first place.

I really love dancing and making friends but guess im lucky enough that no one has ever fancied me in dance, so i guess i have no worries about awkward ex partners :flower: or should that be :sad: :tears:

David Bailey
30th-October-2005, 07:59 PM
I have always wondered what it would be like to go out with a dancer, but what would worry me the most is, if i did and it didn't work out, would it be really awkward if i was to bump into him again? i guess it all depends on why we split up in the first place.
Yes, it usually is awkward, and you are likely to bump into them afterwards - it's pretty common. On the other hand, there are lots of venues for most people to choose from, and as long as it's not a "He's a total b&stard" type of breakup, it's usually manageable.

Oh, and I'll ignore the blatant attempt to fish for compliments, as I've given you one already this year.

dee
30th-October-2005, 08:07 PM
as I've given you one already this year.

Can you please rephrase that as people may just get the wrong idea :blush:

killingtime
30th-October-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey; did anyone here about the rumours that DavidJames has given Dee one this year :D?

ducasi
30th-October-2005, 10:16 PM
I have always wondered what it would be like to go out with a dancer, but what would worry me the most is, if i did and it didn't work out, would it be really awkward if i was to bump into him again? i guess it all depends on why we split up in the first place. It may come as a surprise to many people that I've experienced this problem with two women so-far in my brief Ceroc experience. Fortunately we were both able to get over it and now we're friends again.

There's lots of factors, not just the reasons for splitting up, though obviously it's a big one.

David Bailey
31st-October-2005, 01:01 AM
Can you please rephrase that as people may just get the wrong idea :blush:
Darn, I never even noticed that my words could have been misinterpreted by some people. Oops. :innocent:

Little Monkey
31st-October-2005, 10:07 AM
I've voted I'm single and happy :D

I have a lovely boyfriend

Err...... So, what are you dear? Single or in a relationship? You can't be both, you know! Why would you say you're single and happy when you've got a lovely boyfriend, anyway.....?????? :confused:

A Very Confused Little Monkey :what:

dee
31st-October-2005, 10:30 AM
Err...... So, what are you dear? Single or in a relationship? You can't be both, you know! Why would you say you're single and happy when you've got a lovely boyfriend, anyway.....?????? :confused:

A Very Confused Little Monkey :what:

I wondered that myself but thought it was just a dance thing

Piglet
31st-October-2005, 02:21 PM
I said single cos the other options said "partner" !

My boyfriend is a boyfriend and I'm happy for him to stay as such after 2 and half years and vice versa! It ain't broke so we ain't changing it.

It's quite possibly the "weirdest" relationship I've ever been in, but it's also the best and I can highly recommend it.

Ickle Chick'n
31st-October-2005, 02:22 PM
I keep ending up having this conversation with people, very recently too! I am single and very happy, I meet so many lovely men and borrow other girlies' men, thanks for lending girlies, and have some great dances and don't have to commit and take them home at the end of the night!!!:D

I have always thought it would be nice to meet someone who dances but not at the same venue as me cos you often find there's always 1 half of the couple that is more possessive and keeps an eye on the other (had a few guys apologise for not being able to dance with me, though they'd like to, cos the Mrs isn't happy!:sad:). I am really layed back and dance a dance for what the music tells me and how the guy dances so would not have a problem with my blokey doing the same, not a fear of it being awkward with breakups cos I feel you should be adult enough to accept that sometimes people can realise something's not right as a couple but shouldn't mean you can't still get on as friends/dance buds! I look at it like I do weekenders, I don't understand people that go away and then dance with the people from their club the whole time, you can dance with them anytime...Explore! Distance would also not be an issue for me, gives you more freedom again and you'd appreciate danicng together more when you do but don't feel you always have to! If it's meant to be... and all that.

Anyway until myknight in shining armour :flower: sweeps me off my feet...

David Bailey
31st-October-2005, 02:23 PM
:confused: What's wrong with "partner"?

Surely you'd be under the "I'm a woman and my partner doesn't dance"?

Or are you thinking that "boyfriend" is not "partner"? To me, they're the same...

dee
31st-October-2005, 02:37 PM
:confused: What's wrong with "partner"?

Surely you'd be under the "I'm a woman and my partner doesn't dance"?

Or are you thinking that "boyfriend" is not "partner"? To me, they're the same...

:yeah: or maybe there should of been a "bed buddy" option

Gadget
31st-October-2005, 02:41 PM
Is the criteria for 'partner' "sleeping together"? Or is there a commitment thing involved? Or combining them; should there be commitment before "sleeping together"?

If two people like each other, their company, sharing food, music, life... then why can't they remain "Boy/girl friends" rather than having to be "partners"?

dee
31st-October-2005, 02:54 PM
So it's like, "i have a man in my life, i'm very happy, but i'm keeping my options open"

No wonder i'm still single, it's all beyond me :confused:

David Bailey
31st-October-2005, 03:57 PM
So it's like, "i have a man in my life, i'm very happy, but i'm keeping my options open"

I guess technically, if you're not married, you're single - but that's quite an old-fashioned way of looking at things... ?

We're just wandering around in a haze of :confused: -ion really aren't we?

ducasi
31st-October-2005, 04:08 PM

My boyfriend is a boyfriend and I'm happy for him to stay as such after 2 and half years and vice versa! It ain't broke so we ain't changing it.
For what it's worth, and as I said with my initial post, I'm including "boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/partner/S.O./whatever" when I say "partner," and if you have such a "partner", then in my mind you're not single. But I don't want to be proscriptive here, and I'll go with however anyone wants to describe themselves.

Does anyone still use the term "S.O." these days?

dee
31st-October-2005, 04:14 PM

All i can say on this subject is, when i put "i'm single" i mean i have no man in my life be him a boyfriend, husband, bed buddy or having an affair there are no people with tails in my life!!!!

If i did have a man i would hope i would of chosen "i have a partner" and be proud of it :flower:

dee
31st-October-2005, 04:16 PM
Does anyone still use the term "S.O." these days?

Call me blonde and all that, what does S.O mean???

senorita
31st-October-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey; did anyone here about the rumours that DavidJames has given Dee one this year :D?

NO....but please spill the beans! :D

killingtime
31st-October-2005, 08:16 PM
Call me blonde and all that, what does S.O mean???

Significant Other. I think it is stupid; as if everyone else in your life is insignificant or something.

Dreadful Scathe
31st-October-2005, 08:31 PM
1. I don't want to date anyone who doesn't dance...
2. I don't want to date someone who dances....

:rofl:

someone explain what 'opposing' means to DavidJames ;)

David Bailey
31st-October-2005, 08:42 PM
someone explain what 'opposing' means to DavidJames ;)
Amazingly enough I understood it, but I still thought it was very funny. Hence the, you know, :rofl: , which wasn't mocking :rofl: but just :rofl:

Lory
31st-October-2005, 09:01 PM
So, (assuming you dance) does your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/partner/S.O./whatever dance?

My husband, of 20yrs, (+ another 6 years 'together' before that:what: ) CAN dance (to a fashion;) .. let's put it this way, he has a very unique style, eh Tiggerbabe:wink: ) but he doesn't 'love it' like me.

He's happy to come along a couple of times a year, to a special weekend away or another special event for me, like my birthday and he WILL have a great time but apart from that, he doesn't really have any desire to come.

We started together, so it's not as though he hasn't given it a fair crack of the whip. :)

I suppose it's like me and football, I could probably go to 'a' match and have a nice day but that would be enough to last me a whole year. :cool:

Putting up with me going on about certain venues, my music preferences and favourite dancers, does his head in and likewise, if I had to put up with him (not that he does) talking about, football players, best goals, who's going to which match, which players are the best, who was the star of the match for him, what the away side facilities were like (sorry, I know absolutely nothing about football so forgive the terminology) it'd do my head in too!:tears:

He's happy for me to indulge in my passion and if he wasn't, we'd divorce! it's as simple as that :D (only joking!!!)

Well, for some couples i believe it would be the end for them, for others, it might be the making of them!

I personally believe it's important to be able to 'do your own thang' and be respected for having your 'own' interests, as well as having joint ventures, friends and interests.:cheers:

I know i'm very lucky, as it works for us but on the other hand, I'm not so sure if a relationship that didn't have such firm foundations would handle it so well.

ducasi
31st-October-2005, 10:08 PM
Significant Other. I think it is stupid; as if everyone else in your life is insignificant or something.
:yeah:
It's an american thing, I guess, and was popular around the 'net in the early '90s, along with MOTOS, MOTSS, and MOTAS. (Hint, they all start "Member Of The ..." and end "... Sex.")

I guess it's purpose it to remove the gender and ambiguity of other terms.

I think it also remove the soul of what it means to be someone's partner.

Trish
1st-November-2005, 05:43 PM
My husband doesn't dance and refuses point blank to even attempt it, but he's lovely, and he's quite happy for me to go dancing at least twice a week (and the odd weekender), as long as he can stay at home playing Championship Manager, or go to the pub with the boys. Being as CM has allegedly broken up a lot of marriages it's probably a good thing I'm addicted to dance - oh and that we trust each other!

Lory
1st-November-2005, 05:52 PM
as long as he can stay at home playing Championship Manager, or go to the pub with the boys. Being as CM has allegedly broken up a lot of marriages it's probably a good thing I'm addicted to dance - oh and that we trust each other!
I've never heard of Championship Manager :blush: What is it :confused:

killingtime
1st-November-2005, 05:57 PM
I've never heard of Championship Manager :blush: What is it :confused:

It's a spreadsheet with a football based look and feel about it.

Lory
1st-November-2005, 06:07 PM
Wow, now that does sound addictive :whistle:

ducasi
1st-November-2005, 06:20 PM
Excellent description! I've never seen CM, but if it's anything like the "Football Manager" game that I played once or twice on my old ZX Spectrum, you've captured the boredom and pointlessness of it perfectly. :D

Dreadful Scathe
1st-November-2005, 09:41 PM
That is a fairly good description of CM :) I prefer FPS's myself I pwn many a n00b on various counter-strike servers ;)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
3rd-November-2005, 05:26 PM
I hate CM, my brother insisted on playing it all the time...until Football manager got released that is :rolleyes:

killingtime
3rd-November-2005, 06:49 PM
That is a fairly good description of CM :) I prefer FPS's myself I pwn many a n00b on various counter-strike servers ;)

We can set up a Ceroc clan if you like :). OK I don't actually play Counter Strike that much. I loved Half Life and Half Life 2 though.

Baruch
3rd-November-2005, 10:01 PM
I loved Half Life and Half Life 2 though.
:yeah: Now you're talking! HL2 was brilliant!

How about the Medal of Honor games?

ducasi
4th-November-2005, 01:08 AM
:rolleyes: Can you kids take your games to your own thread! :rolleyes: :wink:

Baruch
5th-November-2005, 12:01 AM
:rolleyes: Can you kids take your games to your own thread! :rolleyes: :wink:
Sorry, Sir.... :wink:

ducasi
5th-November-2005, 12:38 AM
Sorry, Sir.... :wink:
You're forgiven, just don't do it again! :nice:

(Yeah, like I've never taken a thread off-topic! :rofl:)

Ninka
5th-November-2005, 02:09 PM
I started dancing after I met my partner, and although he doesn't dance as much as I do, (mainly due to work commitments) it's nice that we can go to classes together, and enjoy a shared hobby.
In saying that though, I have noticed that I don't get asked to dance as often when he is there. :tears: And he's a lovely bloke, not scary at all. :grin:

dinky
5th-November-2005, 02:39 PM
I met my partner at Ceroc and altho we sit together I get asked to dance loads of times by other guys. I feel very torn tho as to whether or not to accept the dance and leave him sitting there or refuse, but I don't like to do that either as they probably won't ask me to dance again. Suggestions please!:confused:

Lory
5th-November-2005, 02:56 PM
I I feel very torn tho as to whether or not to accept the dance and leave him sitting there or refuse, but I don't like to do that either as they probably won't ask me to dance again. Suggestions please!:confused:
I think it provides a great opportunity for him to get up and ask a spare lady:)

Also, he's more likely to be 'asked' when he's sitting alone than when he's sat with you.;)

He should also feel proud that his girlfriend is such a popular girl:waycool:

So, if it were me, i'd accept :nice:

Kev F
5th-November-2005, 03:02 PM
I met my partner at Ceroc and altho we sit together I get asked to dance loads of times by other guys. I feel very torn tho as to whether or not to accept the dance and leave him sitting there or refuse, but I don't like to do that either as they probably won't ask me to dance again. Suggestions please!:confused:

It is unfortunate that so many couples start to dance together and only one continues :sad: I do understand how you feel and my suggestion is this....At most venues women are in the majority, so it is no problem for a man to find a dance, so when you are asked by another than he should go and find himself someone to dance with too. (Rather than put himself through the process of having to watch you dance..even though I'm sure it is beautiful to watch:flower: )
At least that way you will both enjoy returning to each other once your dances are over and it gives you something to gossip about too :D

When I see couples together I like to grab a lady friend and we go and ask the couple together so they both get to dance :clap:

Good luck

Kev F

dinky
5th-November-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys.:clap:

ducasi
5th-November-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi Dinky... I think I know who you are (at least I'm fairly sure you've told me who you are...), but congratulations on your first post. That's the hardest one – it only gets easier now... :wink:

I met my partner at Ceroc and altho we sit together I get asked to dance loads of times by other guys. I feel very torn tho as to whether or not to accept the dance and leave him sitting there or refuse, but I don't like to do that either as they probably won't ask me to dance again. Suggestions please!:confused: I sometimes see couples who arrive together, sit together, dance together, never ask anyone else to dance, and guess what? I never ask the lady to dance.

Other couple seem much more open to asking and being asked. Maybe it's that they are more pro-active at finding other partners, maybe it's a body-language thing... I don't know...

I find that as a guy, I still have to do most of the asking. Perhaps your guy is torn between keeping you company and abandoning you to go and some someone else to dance with.

I think if you feel it's a problem you should encourage him to abandon you and go find other people to dance with for most of the night. And if he's already up dancing, you won't feel bad accepting dances from the likes of me!

Does that make sense?

(BTW, when you see me next, make sure and identify yourself to me, just so I know that I know who you are. :flower:)

Baruch
5th-November-2005, 09:20 PM
so when you are asked by another than he should go and find himself someone to dance with too. (Rather than put himself through the process of having to watch you dance..even though I'm sure it is beautiful to watch:flower: )
Personally, although I do love dancing with most people and often when my wife is dancing with someone else I'll ask another lady to dance, I sometimes quite enjoy sitting there and watching her dance. Why not? It's not as though I feel threatened when someone wants to dance with her. After all, I know who she'll be going home with at the end of the night. :clap: And besides, she looks goooood.... :drool:

jockey
6th-November-2005, 12:13 AM
I love to dance with my lovers (who doesnt?). I feel I shouldnt say how many there have been since I started jiving but what I can say is that each relationship has been quite different (for a variety of reasons..).
Jealousy is the biggest problem and this stems from the proximity of competition from other dancers (if you go clubbing you dont get other guys coming up and asking your girlfriend for a dance; at least not without risking a "bunch of fives"). I have found teachers to be the main competition due to the "halo effect" and their often total lack of morals (even though many are ugly as sin).
I got very jealous with one of my partners who had M. E. quite badly when we were together (though I gather she is much recovered now); the thing was B could only dance one dance and then had to rest so when she danced twice in a row there had to be a special reason (no prizes for quessing that it was either dancing ability or handsomeness) - so the competition aspect and, therefore the reason for jealousy, was clearly visible and could be quantified (an empiricists dream). My problem was I was strictly rationed (she had dancers she always danced with) and I wanted to dance with her all the time because I loved her and she was a brilliant dancer. It was unbearable.
The dancer Im with now is quite the opposite - she only wants to dance with me (plus a very good dancer occasionally). So we dance loads and its special because...well, you know why. We get away with this anti-social behaviour because we dance at venues where nobody knows us and because we are a touch scary..so nobody asks us to dance (and this suits us both as we only get to see each other rarely cos she lives abroad).
But when she does dance with someone else Im not at all jealous - I get turned on watching her, in fact.
A third case is different again - this time T was my dance partner but we were not together (tho many thought we were). Bizarrely T met a non dancer who was insanely jealous of her dancing with anyone, especially me, and made it a condition of their relationship that she give up jiving altogether..which she did. im not even allowed to text her.
A fourth case concerns a couple I saw dancing (at Beach Boogie actually) who were clearly "together"; when I approached for a dance he literally put himself between us and snarled at me and held her so she couldnt move..
I didnt get that dance and the whole thing was embarassing (well HE was)..though I found her later for a dance and asked her where on the Isle of Wight it was possible to obtain chloroform....