PDA

View Full Version : Perfect numbers of men and ladies

Russell Saxby
26th-October-2005, 10:18 PM
Following on from the "record number of ladies / men over thread.

If they was to be say 150 tickets on sale for a party night - how would you split them. Should it be a straight 50/50 split or should it be slightly weighted in favour of one sex.

e.g.

Do you need a few more ladies than men - cos they like a natter??

Do you need a few more men than ladies - giving the men a chance for a breather and pint at the bar??

Little Monkey
26th-October-2005, 10:34 PM
I'd prefer it to be a 50/50 split.

Saying that, a few (only a few, though!) women too much isn't that bad, as quite a few women are good leads, too!

But what do you care.... You don't like Little Monkeys, so I'll just shut up and sit in a corner.....:whistle: And watch out, or I'll sneeze in your direction! MONKEY FLU!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

:rofl: :rofl:

LM :flower:

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2005, 11:09 PM
Like LM I' d prefer a 50/50 even split - but if there are more ladies than men I'd happily lead, if there were more men than ladies I'd happily dance to every track (yes, even bloomin' Raining Men :rolleyes: )

frodo
26th-October-2005, 11:59 PM
Following on from the "record number of ladies / men over thread.

If they was to be say 150 tickets on sale for a party night - how would you split them. Should it be a straight 50/50 split or should it be slightly weighted in favour of one sex.

e.g.

Do you need a few more men than ladies - giving the men a chance for a breather and pint at the bar??

I guess it partly depends on whether there is a gender bias in how many turn up who've got tickets, and arrives earliest / leaves latest.

Ghost
27th-October-2005, 12:20 AM

Hopefully these factors will cancel each other out.

I suppose technically as a guy if I was being selfish I'd want more ladies than men so I had more choice and so if ladies left early I'd still be able to dance.

50/50 split seems fair :clap:

Take care,
Christopher

Whitebeard
27th-October-2005, 01:10 AM
Is it the general experience that, although an evening nearly always starts with a surplus of ladies, when it comes to the last dance there's always a scatter of forlorn men standing around?

bigdjiver
27th-October-2005, 01:17 AM
I think that the poll would be better if the poll used ratios of leaders to followers. Given that some leaders will have more than one follower, then I would suggest that the best ratio is about 14 leaders to 15 followers, which I would guess usually comes down to about 4 to 5, or 5 to 6 men to women.

under par
27th-October-2005, 03:17 AM
I think it would be a right good kick up the *rse for quite a few men if there was several events with 20+ men over.

It would be an ideal oppurtunity for ladies to say no to the yankers and pervs.

Seeing the leaders taking part in the battles that normally take place between followers for a dance partner would I feel make them smarten up their appearance and try harder to impress with their dancing.

I am not saying all leaders ar sloppily dressed or don't try hard but I am sure some do become complacent.

It is lovely having followers wanting to dance and waiting to dance with you, I would love for the follwers to be the cherished ones for a while occasionally.

It would be a real ego boost for the followers and may slightly dent the egos of one ore two leaders.

Who knows just a thought eh!

SilverFox
27th-October-2005, 04:28 AM
Seeing the leaders taking part in the battles that normally take place between followers for a dance partner would I feel make them smarten up their appearance and try harder to impress with their dancing.

I am not saying all leaders ar sloppily dressed or don't try hard but I am sure some do become complacent. Do you mean like guys who turn up to dances with unbrushed hair, creased up shirts and slightly greying stubble all over their chin.........:whistle:

Next please!

under par
27th-October-2005, 04:31 AM
Do you mean like guys who turn up to dances with unbrushed hair, creased up shirts and slightly greying stubble all over their chin.........:whistle:

Next please!

Ah but it was only slightly greying you SILVER fox :whistle:

I've had a haircut too since Monday...:rofl: it was a bit unkempt:worthy: not like your locks:whistle:

SilverFox
27th-October-2005, 04:37 AM
That 'mess' takes me about 15 minutes to get 'right'. It's called Bed Head. Which is quite dissimilar to F*ck Fuzz.:what:

under par
27th-October-2005, 04:41 AM
That 'mess' takes me about 15 minutes to get 'right'. It's called Bed Head. Which is quite dissimilar to F*ck Fuzz.:what:

...and how long has it taken you to perfect that???:whistle:

Russell Saxby
27th-October-2005, 07:15 AM
I guess it partly depends on whether there is a gender bias in how many turn up who've got tickets, and arrives earliest / leaves latest.

As ticket seller I don't have any control over that.

Unless of course I start punishing people who turn up late.

under par
27th-October-2005, 07:17 AM
As ticket seller I don't have any control over that.

Unless of course I start punishing people who turn up late.

List the punishments and I'll tell you if I'll be on time???:flower:

Russell Saxby
27th-October-2005, 07:35 AM
I think that the poll would be better if the poll used ratios of leaders to followers. Given that some leaders will have more than one follower, then I would suggest that the best ratio is about 14 leaders to 15 followers, which I would guess usually comes down to about 4 to 5, or 5 to 6 men to women.

Ok so if the ratio is 14 leaders to 15 followers, and lets say I am not going to vet the ladies on whether or not they can lead.

150 tickets.

14 x 5 = 70
15 x 5 = 75

5 tickets left say 2 to men 3 to ladies - so only a difference of six. I would say that was going for a fairly even split.

Now if 5 of your men did not turn up you would...... :angry: all the effort in keeping the numbers even starts to go out the window :tears:

I guess when I said a difference of up to 20, I meant somewhere between 10 and 20.

I was not too worried on the finer detail, more as to whether men wanted more ladies and ladies more men if you get my gist.

:cheers:

David Bailey
27th-October-2005, 08:00 AM
I was not too worried on the finer detail, more as to whether men wanted more ladies and ladies more men if you get my gist.

Can I just say :worthy: to you for actually bothering to put the effort in for this? Most organisers really don't consider this, or don't care one way or the other. So, thanks.

My take on this, is that to keep it simple you should have a 50-50 split in the tickets you sell in advance.

Another alternative you may want to consider is having a small number of "anyone" tickets on the door - e.g. if you had 150 tickets, 120 could be 50-50, and 30 or so could be on the door? That way, worst case scenario is that you have at most 60 / 90 disparity, and probably more likely 55-45, which is fine for most venues.

Also, from a commercial point of view, that could get people in earlier to ensure they got a ticket.

Feelingpink
27th-October-2005, 08:21 AM
Can I just say :worthy: to you for actually bothering to put the effort in for this? Most organisers really don't consider this, or don't care one way or the other. So, thanks.

My take on this, is that to keep it simple you should have a 50-50 split in the tickets you sell in advance.

Another alternative you may want to consider is having a small number of "anyone" tickets on the door - e.g. if you had 150 tickets, 120 could be 50-50, and 30 or so could be on the door? That way, worst case scenario is that you have at most 60 / 90 disparity, and probably more likely 55-45, which is fine for most venues.

Also, from a commercial point of view, that could get people in earlier to ensure they got a ticket.
The way I understand it, women tend to be organised and get in early for tickets (for weekenders and evenings), so the men are usually playing catch-up. It also seems to be men who don't turn up with their name on the door if they have a better offer (I could be wrong), so your proposed worst case scenario might actually be worse. Personally, I like UPar's plan - let's have more men than women - it gives them time at the bar and resting and quite selfishly, more dances for me.

My concern with "anyone" tickets on the door is that it introduces a level of unpredictability that isn't helpful for organisers/dancers (especially when ladies attending are doing their best to 'strongly encourage' extra men to attend). It also means that there could be a lot of very unhappy people who miss out on those last minute tickets and have to be turned away and then are too late to go to another venue.

Russell Saxby
27th-October-2005, 08:28 AM

P.S Maths was never my strong point.. but I have had a cup of tea now.

Isn't there a difference between 14:15 and 4:5

By my reckoning, and it is still early, 4:5 would put you about 15 ladies over. So I would say that is a tick in the up to 20 ladies over box.

Out of curiosity what did you vote for?

:flower:

TiggsTours
27th-October-2005, 09:57 AM
Just a thought, but if the ladies like to chat for a bit, and the guys like to have a break at the bar, doesn't that make a 50/50 split still the best option?

50/50 split for me everytime please!:drool:

Cruella
27th-October-2005, 10:03 AM
I think it would be a right good kick up the *rse for quite a few men if there was several events with 20+ men over.

It would be an ideal oppurtunity for ladies to say no to the yankers and pervs.

I am not saying all leaders ar sloppily dressed or don't try hard but I am sure some do become complacent.

It is lovely having followers wanting to dance and waiting to dance with you, I would love for the follwers to be the cherished ones for a while occasionally.

It would be a real ego boost for the followers and may slightly dent the egos of one ore two leaders.

Who knows just a thought eh!
You are so thoughtful UP.:flower: :hug: I've voted for 20 extra men! I'm just greedy:D I love to dance to every track and get quite frustrated when i have to dance as a lead more times than a follow because the men don't seem to want to dance as much as the women (or maybe they don't have the stamina :whistle: )
Waits for the onslaught!!

stewart38
27th-October-2005, 10:05 AM
Could vote for but with 150 tickets about 5 or 6 extra women is about right

Even numbers men miss out :sad:

Russell Saxby
27th-October-2005, 10:16 AM
Just a thought, but if the ladies like to chat for a bit, and the guys like to have a break at the bar, doesn't that make a 50/50 split still the best option?

They were just e.g.'s I don't disagree with you :flower:

Have heard on numerous occasions ladies complaining that when they are sitting down obviously having a good old natter - a man will snake his way in and interrupt.

.....and perhaps all our men are young and virile enough, to not need a few minutes at the bar to recuperate

Chef
27th-October-2005, 10:23 AM
You are so thoughtful UP.:flower: :hug: I've voted for 20 extra men! I'm just greedy:D I love to dance to every track and get quite frustrated when i have to dance as a lead more times than a follow because the men don't seem to want to dance as much as the women (or maybe they don't have the stamina :whistle: )
Waits for the onslaught!!

Speaking only for myself. I find that I don't want to dance to every track. Ladies can dance with 20 different men and get 20 different dances. I dance with 20 different women and get similar dances because I can only do what I know (within the capabilities of my partner) and there are few surprises because I know what is coming next. It is very easy for guys to get bored with their own repetoire. Not every track inpsires me and some I find positively dreadful so I often find that I want to sit out a number of tracks.

Since different tracks appeal to different people I think that it would be great if there were more men than women. As UP says there would be more spur for the guys to up their game and the girls would be able to leave the yankers and pervs at the side of the dance floor. In reality I just don't think it is going to happen because a) more girls than guys seem to like dancing and b) the learning curve for the guys seems that much harder so less of them stay the distance.

I really appreciate dances where there is an effort to maintain a 50/50 split of male and female and where the numbers are limited to ensure that you do actually have space to dance.

Feelingpink
27th-October-2005, 10:33 AM
They were just e.g.'s I don't disagree with you :flower:

Have heard on numerous occasions ladies complaining that when they are sitting down obviously having a good old natter - a man will snake his way in and interrupt.

.....and perhaps all our men are young and virile enough, to not need a few minutes at the bar to recuperateI don't have a problem with being asked to dance (I can always say 'no' or ask to have a dance later/come and find them later if we're in the middle of important chatting) ... and anyway, women can 'snake in' too - don't have a problem with that either. Would the women complaining about their chatting being interrupted be the same ones who complain that there aren't enough guys? :devil:

As for the guys not needing bar recovery time ... :rofl: :rofl:

Cruella
27th-October-2005, 10:36 AM
Could vote for but with 150 tickets about 5 or 6 extra women is about right

Even numbers men miss out :sad:
Oh you poor thing, now wouldn't do for the men to miss out for once would it! :whistle:

Ghost
27th-October-2005, 01:12 PM
Is it the general experience that, although an evening nearly always starts with a surplus of ladies, when it comes to the last dance there's always a scatter of forlorn men standing around?
Yes :tears:
Christopher

Ghost
27th-October-2005, 04:46 PM
Christopher
Just thinking on this some more - hopefully someone will tell me I'm wrong and restore my faith in human nature - but....

Men either ask ladies they know or they don't know.
When choosing between ladies they don't know it appears that the deciding factor is how young/hot the lady is :blush:

I'm consistently amazed at the number of ladies who are no longer in their 20s who end up sitting out dance after dance despite being lovely dancers :tears:

What seems to happen is that as the evening wears on they gradually get more and more fed up of sitting around and eventually leave early, thus thinning out the numbers.

I'm an advocate of the "I'll dance with anyone once, twice if I like it" school. In fact if I see a lady standing by the side of the floor literally almost dancing and radiating "I want to dance", I'll go and ask (Can't remember ever being turned down in this situation). Likewise if I see a lady with the expression of "Why won't anyone ask me to dance. I think I'll go home in a minute" I'll ask them to dance. (I've had ladies change back into their dancing shoes :clap: ). But I seem to be in the minority.

Go on, tell me I'm wrong, please :flower:

Christopher

ChrisA
27th-October-2005, 04:54 PM

This is often the case, but to avoid being one of the victims, you have to plan. And as they say, failing to plan is planning to fail.

If I'm at a venue with my other half, it's easy, I get the last dance with her (or she's in trouble :wink: ).

If she's not there, it's occasionally tricky, because the majority of my favourite dancers are attached, and if they're with their partners, they're going to be dancing with their other halves for the last one, so the field is narrowed even more. The trick is to be in the right place at the right time, to be able (nonchalantly and spontaneously, of course :innocent: ) to get the right person for the last dance before some other bugger snaps her up.

It isn't always possible, but standing around looking forlorn sucks. It just marks you out as someone that can't get a partner for the last dance. :D

So don't - change your shoes, chat to the DJ, go to the loo, whatever. I like to try and make the last dance a bit special, whether it's the last one physically played, or the last one I have. So occasionally if I know I'm not going to improve on one a few from the end, I might call it a night then. It's a bit of an art deciding when that happens, but it's just something that takes practice like everything else.

Ghost
27th-October-2005, 05:42 PM
This is often the case, but to avoid being one of the victims, you have to plan. And as they say, failing to plan is planning to fail.
"What was your plan from here on?'
'I never thought we'd get this far"
~ 71 Hour Ahmed and Vimes, "Jingo" by Terry Pratchet :wink:

The trick is to be in the right place at the right time, to be able (nonchalantly and spontaneously, of course :innocent: ) to get the right person for the last dance before some other bugger snaps her up.
Too devious for me :whistle:

It isn't always possible, but standing around looking forlorn sucks. It just marks you out as someone that can't get a partner for the last dance. :D

Ok, I'll admit I don't stand around looking forlorn. :wink: If I don't get the last dance, I'll get comfortable and watch happily what can often be some of the best dances of the evening. It's unusal for me not to be dancing throughout the entire evening so it can be nice to have the opportunity to watch, both from the point of view of picking up tips and simply enjoying watching people having fun and dancing well.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but lately the djs seem to be a bit confused about the last dance. One guy announced "That was the last dance goodnight" after he'd played it (with no warning before the track). Another one announced "This is the Last Dance" about 5 times (ie he played 5 different tracks all of which were the Last Dance. I asked one lady if she would like to join me for my third Last Dance :wink: )!

So although having extra ladies to balance out the thinning effect at the end would be a good thing, getting them to stay to the end would be a better thing :clap: .

Take care,
Christopher

David Bailey
27th-October-2005, 07:13 PM
Just thinking on this some more - hopefully someone will tell me I'm wrong and restore my faith in human nature - but....

Men either ask ladies they know or they don't know.
When choosing between ladies they don't know it appears that the deciding factor is how young/hot the lady is :blush:
I doubt I'll restore anyone's faith - but, and I've said this a few times now, the deciding factors for me are always "How good do (I think) the dance will be with this person?" and "How many times have I danced with her already?".

Of course looks aren't irrelevant - but they're a long long long way down the priority list compared to those other two. And to me, youth / age is totally irrelevant - if anything, with me, I tend to avoid the too-young ones. Maybe I'm weird....

What seems to happen is that as the evening wears on they gradually get more and more fed up of sitting around and eventually leave early, thus thinning out the numbers.
I think that's a bit of an assumption. You could also argue that women tend to go to places in groups, and if one person leaves, they all do, so that's maybe why such a radical thinning-out may occur.

Go on, tell me I'm wrong, please :flower:
You're wrong. Ish...

RogerR
27th-October-2005, 07:26 PM
From long experience, if there are "too few" women the men who have a partner tend to hog them so they get stuck with someone for several dances, and the others dont get a dance. A target of 5 - 10% of women over usually promotes sociable partner exchange.

Ghost
27th-October-2005, 07:55 PM
I doubt I'll restore anyone's faith - but, and I've said this a few times now, the deciding factors for me are always "How good do (I think) the dance will be with this person?" and "How many times have I danced with her already?".
Nice thing about reading this Forum is that I get to see that I'm not alone.

I tend to avoid the too-young ones. Maybe I'm weird....
Got to give some of them brownie points for stamina if it's a fast track though. :clap:

I think that's a bit of an assumption. You could also argue that women tend to go to places in groups, and if one person leaves, they all do, so that's maybe why such a radical thinning-out may occur.
Totally. They might have to get up in the morning, travelled a long distance etc etc.

You're wrong. Ish...
:cheers:
Christopher

Cruella
27th-October-2005, 08:19 PM
because the majority of my favourite dancers are attached, and if they're with their partners, they're going to be dancing with their other halves for the last one, so the field is narrowed even more. The trick is to be in the right place at the right time, to be able (nonchalantly and spontaneously, of course :innocent: ) to get the right person for the last dance before some other bugger snaps her up.

So now i'm paranoid cos i'm regularly standing around for the last dance, and my partner doesn't dance so is never there with me! :tears: Cheers Chris!

Yogi_Bear
27th-October-2005, 09:47 PM
before [/B]the track). Another one announced "This is the Last Dance" about 5 times (ie he played 5 different tracks all of which were the Last Dance. I asked one lady if she would like to join me for my third Last Dance :wink: )!

I am usually happy to sit out the last dance, especially if it's fast. Or if I haven't found a partner before the only potential partners are those who really DON'T look at though they would like to get up out of their chairs. It would rarely be my favourite track of the evening. Though I think once at Bedford Ceroc they played 'Time to say goodbye' as the last of the last records of the night :worthy:

Lory
27th-October-2005, 10:27 PM
50/50's perfect, as far as I'm concerned :nice:

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 08:05 AM
So now i'm paranoid cos i'm regularly standing around for the last dance, and my partner doesn't dance so is never there with me! :tears: Cheers Chris!
:rofl:

Up until now, I'd never really attached any significance to the last dance - it's just, you know, the last dance. It's not like at a club, where it was (as I dimly recall) the last opportunity to pull or something. And I certainly never used to try to book / be booked for it, it's just another dance to me. You do the last dance, you get your stuff, you go home, that's it.

But is there now more weight on this Last Dance thing in MJ than there was a couple of years ago? Or have I been missing the significance of it all this time?

DavidY
28th-October-2005, 08:40 AM
But is there now more weight on this Last Dance thing in MJ than there was a couple of years ago? Or have I been missing the significance of it all this time?Maybe it's because DJs keep playing that "Save the Last Dance for Me" tune & the cumulative effect of hearing those lyrics so many times is changing people's behaviour?

under par
28th-October-2005, 08:43 AM
Maybe it's because DJs keep playing that "Save the Last Dance for Me" tune & the cumulative effect of hearing those lyrics so many times is changing people's behaviour?

No its nice to dance the last dance with Missus Par whatever the track!!:yeah: :drool: :drool: :yeah:

Ghost
29th-October-2005, 05:02 PM
:rofl:

Up until now, I'd never really attached any significance to the last dance - it's just, you know, the last dance. It's not like at a club, where it was (as I dimly recall) the last opportunity to pull or something. And I certainly never used to try to book / be booked for it, it's just another dance to me. You do the last dance, you get your stuff, you go home, that's it.

But is there now more weight on this Last Dance thing in MJ than there was a couple of years ago? Or have I been missing the significance of it all this time?
Just my impression ~ but ladies generally dance better during the last dance. Could be they're tired and so only have the energy to just float along. Could be they only come once a week and this is their last dance for a whole week! Could be they're sentimental about the last dance. Could be something else entirely (or I could just be wrong :blush: ) Can't off-hand think of a bad / clunky 'last dance' I've had. Can think of a few I've had during freestyle though :tears: . There's also probably less people left by this stage so there's more room which is nice. ie the couple who want to dance big, fancy moves can probably do so without the rest of us ordering plasma rifles from David Franklin :whistle:

Take care,
Christopher

wicked blue
29th-October-2005, 05:35 PM
This is definately a tricky question - though perhaps a 50-50 split would be the obvious answer as in theory it would be much more equal, (in practice it never seems to turn out like that) However, i have to say that i have a leaning towards the more men scenerio, only because in my experience there is always a shortage of men, sometimes so badly that you just can't get a good dance because the men are sooo in demand! This is far from an ideal as the men are then exhausted and don't get the chance to sit down from the enslaught of women!!

Sometimes its almost like there's a mad scramble amongst the women for the men as they come off the dance floor!! :eek: It does at times seem like thats the only way to get a dance - but i just don't go in for it, hence there are times when i just don't get that dance with that particular guy!!:tears:

Ghost
29th-October-2005, 05:49 PM
However, i have to say that i have a leaning towards the more men scenerio, only because in my experience there is always a shortage of men, sometimes so badly that you just can't get a good dance because the men are sooo in demand!
I think this is a trend in Ceroc. But a 50/50 split would get you a perfect balance (at least to start with...if everyone turns up)

Sometimes its almost like there's a mad scramble amongst the women for the men as they come off the dance floor!! :eek: It does at times seem like thats the only way to get a dance - but i just don't go in for it, hence there are times when i just don't get that dance with that particular guy!!:tears:
4 hours means that if each track if 4 mins long each guy gets about 60 dances. 50/50 split means 75 women so you've got an 80% chance of dancing with that special someone just through stats (I'll leave it to those more inclined to show the ways this is wrong / can be messed with :whistle: ).

Good luck getting your man :hug:
Christopher

Just Wiggle
29th-October-2005, 06:00 PM
Sometimes its almost like there's a mad scramble amongst the women for the men as they come off the dance floor!! It does at times seem like thats the only way to get a dance - but i just don't go in for it, hence there are times when i just don't get that dance with that particular guy!!:yeah:

I know the feeling Wicked Blue sometimes I feel like a bit of a stalker when trying to get a dance with a good dancer!! :eek:

foxylady
29th-October-2005, 06:04 PM
Do you mean like guys who turn up to dances with unbrushed hair, creased up shirts and slightly greying stubble all over their chin.........:whistle:

Next please!

I thought UP looked very sexy :drool: on Monday !

I always prefer more men... but they have to be more of the right ones... !! :devil:

50/50 is the best way to do it, but I quite liked the idea of a few spare on the door...

Foxy

Feelingpink
29th-October-2005, 06:19 PM
I thought UP looked very sexy :drool: on Monday !

I always prefer more men... but they have to be more of the right ones... !! :devil:

50/50 is the best way to do it, but I quite liked the idea of a few spare on the door...

FoxyI'm assuming you meant spare men? :devil:

bigdjiver
30th-October-2005, 12:23 AM
A question for the ladies - If there was an event, that you felt that you really wanted to go to, what ratio of excess women to men would put you off going?

Russell Saxby
31st-October-2005, 02:12 PM
but as there were more women, also got to spend quality time gossiping. :hug:

lifted from the "Sunday 30th October" thread - so getting a chance to gossip ain't all bad

Dizzy
31st-October-2005, 02:18 PM
lifted from the "Sunday 30th October" thread - so getting a chance to gossip ain't all bad

IMHO, it will depend very much on the type of event that it is. Like the T-Jive, it was a relaxed, chillout sunday afternoon dance with smooth, stylish music playing so standing on the sidelines gossiping was nice in that kind of atmosphere (the excess numbers of women didn't help). On the other hand, if it is a saturday night event where fast music is playing and the venue atmosphere is loud and dark then gossiping on the sidelines is not going to happen.

foxylady
31st-October-2005, 02:27 PM
IMHO, it will depend very much on the type of event that it is. Like the T-Jive, it was a relaxed, chillout sunday afternoon dance with smooth, stylish music playing so standing on the sidelines gossiping was nice in that kind of atmosphere (the excess numbers of women didn't help). On the other hand, if it is a saturday night event where fast music is playing and the venue atmosphere is loud and dark then gossiping on the sidelines is not going to happen.

Dizzy you beat me to it - exactly what I was going to say... The arrangement of the seating, the lighting, the tea and cakes, and the type of music make gossiping almost an obligatory part of the event...