PDA

View Full Version : life without the forum

Swinging bee
26th-October-2005, 03:38 PM
It is fairly apparent that the forum has a part (however small) to play in the lives in a fair number of forumites. it's great to communicate. that's human nature after all.

QUESTION....What would you do if there was no forum? or indeed, what did you do before it all started.?
To be honest I can't remember just exactly what I did to fill my time. "shift work and all that"...and if it stopped I don't suppose I would actually WRITE to anyone. I'ts a hard one (no smut) could always go on the Bristol Le Roc forum I suppose.

stewart38
26th-October-2005, 04:06 PM
It is fairly apparent that the forum has a part (however small) to play in the lives in a fair number of forumites. it's great to communicate. that's human nature after all.

QUESTION....What would you do if there was no forum? or indeed, what did you do before it all started.?
To be honest I can't remember just exactly what I did to fill my time. "shift work and all that"...and if it stopped I don't suppose I would actually WRITE to anyone. I'ts a hard one (no smut) could always go on the Bristol Le Roc forum I suppose.

If there was no forum Id probably still have a job in 6 months :sad:

Before forum use to do a lot more private e-mail ,I think ??

work no NEVER :yeah:

Missy D
26th-October-2005, 04:18 PM
If there were no Forum I:-

Would have finished my invoices at work last week.
My lounge would have been decorated this year.
The cat would have been to the vet.
My car would have been serviced.
I would have a fridge full of food.
This list is endless.

Ceroc forum! pure life distraction!

I love it:clap:

under par
26th-October-2005, 04:21 PM
If there were no Forum I:-

Would have finished my invoices at work last week.
My lounge would have been decorated this year.
The cat would have been to the vet.
My car would have been serviced.
I would have a fridge full of food.
This list is endless.

Ceroc forum! pure life distraction!

I love it:clap:

But you decorated the invoices.

finished the lounge..

took the car to the vet...

and serviced the CAT...:rofl:

Very distracting this forum

dee
26th-October-2005, 04:21 PM
Before i discovered the forum, my house used to be really clean and tidy. I would always be doing my garden, and dating loser men just for a bit of company :tears:

Now i have joined i have made lots of new friends, dumped the losers and when im feeling down i always know there will be something on here to make me smile :flower:
My kids may complain that their dinner is either burnt, or not cooked at all :eek: but im glad i joined :hug:

senorita
26th-October-2005, 04:23 PM

Yes it is a great way to communicate with other dancers, as its very difficult to talk/discuss anything in the dance enviroment and can seem anti-socable at times to others...after all we are there to dance our socks off!....not talk ;-)

Well the forum has given me an insight to what other people think in different topics, it brightens up my day, I have made knew friends, got to know people better, picked up lots of tips, learnt lots of things ecetera ecetera, ...Its a great way to have the opportunity to speak to lovely people...its brillant!!!

dee
26th-October-2005, 04:24 PM
serviced the CAT...:rofl:

:eek: poor cat

senorita
26th-October-2005, 04:37 PM
Yes it is a great way to communicate with other dancers, as its very difficult to talk/discuss anything in the dance enviroment and can seem anti-socable at times to others...after all we are there to dance our socks off!....not talk ;-)

Well the forum has given me an insight to what other people think in different topics, it brightens up my day, I have made knew friends, got to know people better, picked up lots of tips, learnt lots of things ecetera ecetera, ...Its a great way to have the opportunity to speak to lovely people...its brillant!!!

As I was saying before the computer decided to cut me off!!!! :rolleyes:

BUT to answer your question:....I come into work much earlier to log on...& I hardly nowadays have a break...break wots that!!.. or have a lunch break as I'm on here!! .....PLUS I used to leave work in time to go home ....but now I always leave much later.....as I stay behind being on here!!....pretending to do work :rofl: .....shhh dont tell my boss please....the internet bill is increased!!! :D :rofl: :whistle:

Lynn
26th-October-2005, 06:19 PM
Without the forum would I still be dancing MJ? I'm not sure, but unlikely. I might not have had any contacts with dancers outside NI, or it certainly would have been slower to develop them, and therefore wouldn't know about weekenders, which have been my 'dancing lifeline' the past 1 1/2 years.

So I guess without the forum I would be dancing salsa! :whistle:

I also use my breaks at work to log on, when really I should take a break from the computer. Or stay on in the office after I have signed off work (as broadband at work). And when I am online in the evenings its either instead of watching TV or doing stuff like ironing.

Gnome Luster
26th-October-2005, 08:14 PM
As I've only joined the forum I can answer this one easily. Without the forum I would have continued to be happy turning up at venues and dancing for fun thinking that most of my friends felt the same way. Now I'm left feeling paranoid that dancing for fun just really isn't good enough! I'm not sure this is a good thing for me!

ducasi
26th-October-2005, 09:11 PM
As my time on the forum matches exactly with my time dancing it's hard to separate the two...

When I think back though, without the forum (being shy) I'd hardly know anyone, (lacking confidence as a beginner) I'd have probably given it up, and even if I hadn't I wouldn't be having the same fun and enjoyment that I am (as I probably wouldn't be as good a dancer.)

I wouldn't have done all the busks in Glasgow, Perth and Stirling, or visited all around venues in Scotland. I wouldn't have met so many nice folks from around Scotland and the rest of the UK.

The only negative is that it does tend to sap my time a little...

I've tried cutting down my use of the forum from time to time, but I don't know if I could leave for any length of time.

I can think of a few people though who have been regular readers and posters who have just stopped or cut way down. Perhaps due to changed circumstances. (They found something else to waste their time on?)

Who knows? Maybe there is life without the forum... :worthy:

Lynn
26th-October-2005, 09:21 PM
I've tried cutting down my use of the forum from time to time, but I don't know if I could leave for any length of time. I did plan to have a break a while back - and if I had I wouldn't have ended up at the BFG, so I'm glad I didn't at that point. May do at some time, but as long as I'm dancing MJ I would think I would want to be on here from time to time at least.

I would miss the idle passing of time, the odd insightful comment (and the odd insightful people...), the useful information... but most of all I would miss the forumites. :hug:

Minnie M
26th-October-2005, 09:25 PM
Broadband :clap:
Didn't really need it before the forum :rolleyes:

and ..... of course .... all you lovely forumites I would never have met if I hadn't registered :hug:

Gadget
26th-October-2005, 09:26 PM
What would I do? .... Probably be a bit more rested :rolleyes: A bit less nagged. Not as challenged in my dancing. Not as inspired or experimental.

And definetly a poorer dancer: Only through stuff written on here have solutions and opportunities presented themselves to improve my dancing.

Oh, and perhaps my spelling would be twice as bad :innocent:

under par
27th-October-2005, 04:59 AM
without the forum ...
....I might ..just might... spend a bit more time practising my putting and chipping and actually play a round of golf UNDER PAR :whistle:

Then again I might not.:eek:

Almost an Angel
27th-October-2005, 10:58 AM
spend a bit more time practising my putting and chipping and actually play a round of golf UNDER PAR :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nope that's not going to happen
I'm sure Mrs Par would make sure you have enough chores to keep you busy!!! :devil:

doc martin
27th-October-2005, 11:08 AM
As I was saying before the computer decided to cut me off!!!! :rolleyes:

BUT to answer your question:....I come into work much earlier to log on...& I hardly nowadays have a break...break wots that!!.. or have a lunch break as I'm on here!! .....PLUS I used to leave work in time to go home ....but now I always leave much later.....as I stay behind being on here!!....pretending to do work :rofl: .....shhh dont tell my boss please....the internet bill is increased!!! :D :rofl: :whistle:
You never know, your boss might notice all the extra time you are putting in and decide to give you a raise.
If he does you could work out how much per hour you are being paid to post on the forum :D
In fact you could become the first professional forumite :cool:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
27th-October-2005, 11:55 AM
If I hadn't found the forum, it is unlikely that I would have started dancing Ceroc at all! :eek:

So a big THANK YOU to all of you lovely people who encouraged me to to come along, i'm so glad that I did :clap:

Ash x :hug:

Piglet
28th-October-2005, 10:13 PM
Am I right in thinking that without the forum the BFG would have cost me much more money?

Can you tell I'm an Aberdonian ? :rofl:

djtrev
29th-October-2005, 05:29 PM
Without this forum I would not have experienced the thrill and share enjoyment of the two weekenders that I went to this year at Camber and Southport.For various reasons they were the highlights of my year.

Without this forum I would certainly not have the range of tracks that I have collected over the last 18 months,thro playlists and personal recommendations of forumites.
In many ways I feel sorry for the majority of so called music lovers because I doubt that hardly any of them will have enjoyed the experience of dancing or even listening to tracks like Vem Vet,Lola by Gotan Project,Lou Rawls and Fine Brown Frame,Patrizio Buanne,Eros Ramazzoti,Bette Midler and Slow Boat,Jive Aces,Indigo Swing,Touch and Go,InGrid,Leon Huff to name just a few.All fabulous tracks.
Leon Huff?? Sorry just put that in for Marc and Rachel!!

Missy D
2nd-January-2006, 05:49 PM
Just to add to my list of what i would have done if there were no forum:-

I would have taxed my car aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! It ran out on the 31st December.:tears:

thewacko
2nd-January-2006, 08:38 PM
:sad: I discovered the Forum a couple of years ago, and got addicted.
I have spent a whole year away from it, due to work commitments and orrible stuff like that.

then this xmas break I re-discovered it and changed my email details to my home email instead of my work email, and haven't been off the bl**dy thing since.

Life without the forum - almost normal :what: I DON'T DO NORMAL :sad:
Life with the forum :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :drool: :drool: :flower:
absolutely MAD

:cheers:

Piglet
3rd-January-2006, 02:49 AM
Well, I definitely reckon I'd be in bed fast asleep by now if it weren't for this forum :rolleyes: :wink:

ducasi
3rd-January-2006, 03:22 AM
Well, I definitely reckon I'd be in bed fast asleep by now if it weren't for this forum :rolleyes: :wink:
:yeah: :wink:

ShinyWeeStar
3rd-January-2006, 03:23 AM
:yeah: :yeah: :wink:

Jenni
3rd-January-2006, 03:30 AM

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :wink:

Andy McGregor
3rd-January-2006, 03:32 AM
Well, I definitely reckon I'd be in bed fast asleep by now if it weren't for this forum :rolleyes: :wink::yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

WittyBird
3rd-January-2006, 11:06 AM
Just to add to my list of what i would have done if there were no forum:-

I would have taxed my car aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! It ran out on the 31st December.:tears:
Oh poo you have reminded me, mine did too! I had better get out of bed and go do it :sick:

Tiggerbabe
3rd-January-2006, 11:41 AM
Oh poo you have reminded me, mine did too! I had better get out of bed and go do it :sick:
Don't they send you a reminder now so you can renew it on-line? :whistle:
(sounds good to me, no more queues at the post office :D )

WittyBird
3rd-January-2006, 01:17 PM
Don't they send you a reminder now so you can renew it on-line? :whistle:
(sounds good to me, no more queues at the post office :D )

How would that work? Although I don't need MOT certificate I still have to show my Insurance cert. Not possible online

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-January-2006, 01:20 PM
How would that work? Although I don't need MOT certificate I still have to show my Insurance cert. Not possible onlinePretty soon the Insurance companies will have to share their data with the government and you'll get fined if your insurance ever runs out, like the Tax disc now. So they'll know that you're insured without having to produce any documents.

Oh, and throw in a network of licence plate-reading cameras on motorways and trunk roads, and around cities, and you'll not be able to go anywhere without being tracked. And of course, they'll be keeping the data for up to 5 years, just in case anyone's been a bit naughty in the past.

WittyBird
3rd-January-2006, 01:23 PM
Pretty soon the Insurance companies will have to share their data with the government and you'll get fined if your insurance ever runs out, like the Tax disc now. So they'll know that you're insured without having to produce any documents.

Oh, and throw in a network of licence plate-reading cameras on motorways and trunk roads, and around cities, and you'll not be able to go anywhere without being tracked. And of course, they'll be keeping the data for up to 5 years, just in case anyone's been a bit naughty in the past.

That's fair enough but how would they keep track of people that do need MOT certificates?

thewacko
3rd-January-2006, 02:00 PM
That's fair enough but how would they keep track of people that do need MOT certificates?

:mad: MOT's are now computerised, so if yours runs out THEY ARE AWARE OF IT:mad:

Missy D
3rd-January-2006, 02:04 PM
My car is now taxed! If i can pull myself away from the forum I will go and buy myself something nice:)

Donna
3rd-January-2006, 02:18 PM
If there was no ceroc forum I'd be.....

:sad: TERRIBLY DEPRESSED:sad: