PDA

View Full Version : Novelty and fad dances

stewart38
26th-October-2005, 02:05 PM
Thinking about the old Hokey Cokey got me thinking about novelty dances

It was a dance I did with parents and others in mid 70s , probably at workmens type dances etc and childrens birthday bashes. Probably still in the 80s somewhere. With regard to others...

I remember 'learning' the Macarena in Canada in 1995 ,taught by some candian girls.

Never getting to grips with the basic YMCA, still have to try it at weddings etc ?

Heard of the 'Mash potato' never done it

Havent done the birdie song for ages or Aggado do do push a pine apple one with shake a tree

The twist well again done it but probably not correctly ?

The link below was interesting, anyone remember any of these ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
These are also called "dance crazes". Dancing style fads have always been a part of social dancing, sometimes gliding smoothly into tradition after their "newness" has faded, and sometimes simply fading away into oblivion. Dances such as the waltz, jitterbug, or the Charleston were once fads, that have become a part of dance tradition.

In modern times the rate in which new dances ("fads") are introduced seems to be much faster and more often. This is certainly spurred by modern communication improvements (printed media, radio, movies, television, internet).

During the 1960s and 1970s new dances appeared almost every week, often choreographed to popular songs ("Mashed Potato Time" by Dee Dee Sharp, "Freddy (Freddie)", the "Twist"). Their steps were often printed in dance magazines. Dance crazes have continued into the 1980s with "YMCA", and the 1990s with "Macarena". Contemporary sources for dance crazes include music videos and movies.

There are fad dances which are meant to be danced individually (solo), others are partner dances, and yet others are danced in groups. Some of them were of freestyle type, i.e., there were no particular step patterns and they were distinguished by the style of the dance movement (Twist, Shake, Swim, Pony, Hitchhike). Only some of them survived until now, sometimes only as the name of a step (Suzie Q, Shimmy) or of a style (Mashed Potato) in a recognized dance. Fad dances are in fashion at the time of their popularity. They are associated with a specific time period, and evoke a nostalgia when danced nowadays.

Missy D
26th-October-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh and what about the 'opps upside your head' dance you do sitting on the floor with legs astride the person in front of you. Maybe we could all try this at Camber:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TiggsTours
26th-October-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh and what about the 'opps upside your head' dance you do sitting on the floor with legs astride the person in front of you. Maybe we could all try this at Camber:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I remember doing that at Camber about 6 years ago, we had 3 lines of people, all reaching the whole length of the floor, we did wonder if perhaps we should write to the Guinness Book of Records!

LMC
26th-October-2005, 02:32 PM
Most of the fad ones seem to be related to just one track and only get played at weddings, school parties or theme nights?

I do a fairly good Macarena, and can do bits of YMCA (but get lost in the bridge between verse and chorus).

At the BFG on Saturday there were 3 people doing the 'Blues Brothers' routine to 'Shake your tail feather' - keep thinking I must watch that bit of the film again :D

(EDIT: correction to track title, thanks Gojive!)

What about the Locomotion? Or Superman! :clap:

Ah, nostalgia... although even that ain't what it used to be

MartinHarper
26th-October-2005, 02:34 PM
The "Cha Cha Slide" is an irregular feature of Wythall freestyles, which is kinda fun.

Gojive
26th-October-2005, 02:37 PM
I do a fairly good Macarena

I do a mean spaghetti :na:

Another one track dance I remember, is "Saturday Night - Whigfield"

Anyone here go to the Partyweekender at Warmwell?....they have a party hour every night, where they do things like YMCA :clap: Mexican Wave :worthy: , "Shake your tail feather" :waycool: , etc :D

stewart38
26th-October-2005, 02:42 PM
The "Cha Cha Slide" is an irregular feature of Wythall freestyles, which is kinda fun.

Also at weekenders sometimes :grin:

Learnt that one ages ago at 'ceroc'

dont see it so much now days at other saturday free style events around my way :sad:

Dizzy
26th-October-2005, 02:44 PM
What about the Lambada. :drool: :drool:

That is still around and quite popular, isn't it??

Ickle Chick'n
26th-October-2005, 03:34 PM

Anyone here go to the Partyweekender at Warmwell?....they have a party hour every night, where they do things like YMCA :clap: Mexican Wave :worthy: , "Shake your tail feather" :waycool: , etc :D

Don't forget tiger feet at Warmwell too, you goingnext week?!

I also saw the three people doing "shake your tail feathers" at bfg and would have joined in except someone asked me to jive to it! Sorry guys but well done.

Also, from days of school discos... "Time warp" and "I am the music man..." song.
:rolleyes:

under par
26th-October-2005, 03:54 PM

Anyone here go to the Partyweekender at Warmwell?....they have a party hour every night, where they do things like YMCA :clap: Mexican Wave :worthy: , "Shake your tail feather" :waycool: , etc :D#

I went to Warmwell a couple of years ago and the highlight of the classes for me was a couple teaching the "Shake your tail feather" routine.

The woman teacher was absolutely brilliant and so so enthusiastic she had obviously taught it many times before but she was infectious had all the audience in awe.

She had even found out the bits of the dance that where cut from the film in the editing suite but that actually went along with the song.

The class over ran and encore after encore was requested from all the participants.

Might be a good idea for another weekender.

Any one recall who the teacher was????

under par
26th-October-2005, 04:08 PM
Also at weekenders sometimes :grin:

Learnt that one ages ago at 'ceroc'

dont see it so much now days at other saturday free style events around my way :sad:

Always an Angel used to do it at the end of the evening at Fleet!!

stewart38
26th-October-2005, 04:16 PM

I remember that years ago :sad:

I didnt know it then

Learnt it at a weekender

Havent been to Fleet for years was a good venue but live too far away now , heard ceroc acquired that one as well ??

Lou
26th-October-2005, 06:36 PM
And Trinity in Bristol. :)

Hmmmm..... I can Time Warp quite well.:na:

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2005, 08:11 PM
At the BFG on Saturday there were 3 people doing the 'Blues Brothers' routine to 'Shake your tail feather' - :D
And don't forget the DJ - he was doing it too :rofl:
We were having such a laugh I totally forgot that people not dancing might be watching - cripes! Not sure we did it all properly - it was myself, Tinkerbell and Peaches :D

Lynn
26th-October-2005, 09:08 PM
Also, from days of school discos... "Time warp" and "I am the music man..." song.
:rolleyes:Not just school discos - I'm going to a barn dance on Fri night and 'I am the music man' will likely be played. And I will probably be up dancing to it, there's something about rushing round playing at airplanes etc that brings out the child in me :rofl:

Also heard at barn dances - Macarena, Saturday Night ... I draw the line at the birdie song, but I do quite enjoy a really active 'Elephant Walk' to Cotton Eye Joe. Though I'm ready to collapse by the end!

Almost an Angel
27th-October-2005, 09:39 AM

Yup she still does!!! :waycool: (neck allowing)

We always manage to get the odd stroll or three played at the end of the evening at Fleet, in addition to that we sometimes have Adam & Tas's routine from the evening to show everyone what they got up to. :D

I think we did 'tailfeather' last week but we rotate them around.
We can also be found to be doing the 'shim sham' to Big Brotherz 'Ain't what you do' :devil: hee hee, it's very fast but lots of fun. Also guagulione, hip hop shim sham, jitterbug stroll, charleston stroll, madison, night fever any more???

They are taught periodically at Fleet but, some people just pick them up while we're doing them or ask us and we show them. :D

Danielle
27th-October-2005, 09:53 AM
What about the Lambada. :drool: :drool:

That is still around and quite popular, isn't it??

yes, it's still around and popular (although a much smaller scene than MJ or Salsa), i go about 3 times a week and love it!!!! However its changed quite alot from the song which made it famous over here, its now slower and includes alot more body movement than could be done with the faster tracks. Its now danced to zouk music!

stewart38
27th-October-2005, 10:44 AM
"I am the music man..." song.
:rolleyes:

Thats now playing in my head :mad:

I found women never did get to play that trombone correctly ?

Gojive
27th-October-2005, 10:59 PM
Don't forget tiger feet at Warmwell too, you goingnext week?!

I hope to be there, but at the moment I'm on the waiting list. If I miss this one, it'll be only the second PW'ender I've ever missed since it started :tears:

I did think about Tiger Feet, but figured it was probably more of a PW'ender thing, rather than a general cult dance?

There are one or two others we do there, but I just can't think of them right now :waycool:

KatieR
8th-November-2005, 03:06 PM
In the early to mid 90s there was a bit of a dance craze in Australia called the Bus Stop... it was great fun and often done in nightclubs. Was it popular in the UK?

cerocmetro
8th-November-2005, 03:12 PM
yes, it's still around and popular (although a much smaller scene than MJ or Salsa), i go about 3 times a week and love it!!!! However its changed quite alot from the song which made it famous over here, its now slower and includes alot more body movement than could be done with the faster tracks. Its now danced to zouk music!

oo oo I lurve Lambada, but didn't have the Gladiator type body that many of the men had. :( so never got many dances, just drooled at the couples who looked amazing. Still think it is one of the best "fads" ever

Hevmate
14th-November-2005, 01:29 PM
"went to Warmwell a couple of years ago and the highlight of the classes for me was a couple teaching the "Shake your tail feather" routine.

The woman teacher was absolutely brilliant and so so enthusiastic she had obviously taught it many times before but she was infectious had all the audience in awe.

She had even found out the bits of the dance that where cut from the film in the editing suite but that actually went along with the song.

The class over ran and encore after encore was requested from all the participants.

Any one recall who the teacher was????"

Hi,

I believe this was me ! Someone stopped me at Rock Bottms recently and said someone was talking about me. Not getting on the ole forum much I'ver had to search.
I taught that a few years running at Warmwell and have to say that the crowd there are just up for anything, Great laugh, that great big huggable DJ is awsome too which always helps.
Thanks for the booost :-)
Hev Mate

TiggsTours
14th-November-2005, 01:35 PM
"went to Warmwell a couple of years ago and the highlight of the classes for me was a couple teaching the "Shake your tail feather" routine.

Any one recall who the teacher was????"

Hi,

I believe this was me ! Someone stopped me at Rock Bottms recently and said someone was talking about me. Not getting on the ole forum much I'ver had to search.
I taught that a few years running at Warmwell and have to say that the crowd there are just up for anything, Great laugh, that great big huggable DJ is awsome too which always helps.
Thanks for the booost :-)
Hev Mate
That's because you are a star!

I remember a few years ago, going with you to help you teach this routine somewhere in Norfolk (I think). You'd been at the Rivoli filming all day, then we had a to do a really mad dash to get there in time, on the way we had quite a bad car accident (head-on), but decided we could keep driving (both lights were working) and worry about it when we got there. We got there just in the nick of time, both a bit flustered, and you completely shattered, and more than a little upset by the accident, you went on stage, and taught the class with so much energy and a fantastic sense of fun. The whole class really got into it, and really enjoyed themselves, and nobody would ever have guessed the nightmare you'd just been through.

And there was another time, you taught it at Beach Boogie, having only just woken up five minutes before the class, having spent the night asleep under the stars (and a very thin blanket) and woken up covered in dew! Always the professional!:worthy:

Hevmate
14th-November-2005, 02:36 PM
And there was another time, you taught it at Beach Boogie, having only just woken up five minutes before the class, having spent the night asleep under the stars (and a very thin blanket) and woken up covered in dew! Always the professional!:worthy:[/QUOTE]

Aw thanks mate (cheques in the post - no , it really is )
Was the time you mention that night we had a midnight picnic with that German Teacher? I recall a very cold night and not enough booze to warm us up! Fubn tho :wink:

TiggsTours
14th-November-2005, 03:00 PM
And there was another time, you taught it at Beach Boogie, having only just woken up five minutes before the class, having spent the night asleep under the stars (and a very thin blanket) and woken up covered in dew! Always the professional!:worthy:

Aw thanks mate (cheques in the post - no , it really is )
Was the time you mention that night we had a midnight picnic with that German Teacher? I recall a very cold night and not enough booze to warm us up! Fubn tho :wink:[/QUOTE]
That was the one, that was a long, cold night! Definately fun though!