PDA

View Full Version : Chit-chat v meaty points

jiveoholic
21st-January-2003, 01:52 PM
As a sassenach (!), a lot of the chit-chat stuff means little to me, but it must be great fun to those having it who know each other. In principle, this should occur outside the technical type forums, however in practice it is difficult to encourage and maybe undesirable. You see the problem for me down south is wading through the sometimes many pages of chit-chat to find excellent points of "Ceroc-lore" and other suggestions.

I would like to make a suggestion that when a message is sent, it must be categorised by the author as "trivial" or "helpful"! This might also assist you in deciding what to archive or not.

I won't hold my breath, but it would be useful!

Franck
21st-January-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jiveoholic
I would like to make a suggestion that when a message is sent, it must be categorised by the author as "trivial" or "helpful"! This might also assist you in deciding what to archive or not. You make a good point, but you are right, I would not hold my breath! :nice:

Even the 'serious' subjects tend to go 'off-topic' very quickly and degenerate into 'entertaining' chit chat...

The facility to rate threads is already there, though for some reason, it is not used at all by anyone...

At the bottom of each thread page, you can vote to rate a thread (marks between 1 and 5 stars). The overall rating will then appear on the front page, so you can look at the highly rated threads first!!!

The only flaw is that enough people must vote for the rating to appear...

Franck.

Emma
21st-January-2003, 03:07 PM
Whether or not a post is 'helpful' or 'trivial' is a debatable point anyhow, isn't it? One man's meat is another man's poison etc etc..and loads of posts have both trivial and helpful points in, so how would one rate those?

jiveoholic
21st-January-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Whether or not a post is 'helpful' or 'trivial' is a debatable point anyhow, isn't it? One man's meat is another man's poison etc etc..and loads of posts have both trivial and helpful points in, so how would one rate those?

Trivial + Helpful => Helpful!

Emma
21st-January-2003, 03:11 PM
Trivial + Helpful => Helpful!

Helpful trivia? :grin:

I think that's Steve's department. :wink: :grin:

Franck
21st-January-2003, 03:16 PM
Trivial + Helpful => Helpful! Maybe we should have a 'confusing' tag, or a 'bad taste' one as well (still trying to shake those pictures out of my consciousness.. Thanks JohnS)

Anyway, go on, start rating all the threads you like and let's see all those starand which thread people reckon are the best!

Franck.

TheTramp
21st-January-2003, 08:46 PM
Helpful trivia?

I think that's Steve's department.You called? :D

Steve