PDA

View Full Version : When the music stops early

stewart38
24th-October-2005, 11:01 AM
At Berkhampstead yesterday the music stopped early, it’s happened before

The venue is meant to finish at 10.30pm

The last dance and the 'music' ended at 10.23pm. That’s a full 7 minutes of paid for free style not been given!!

That was after an announcement that it was going on till 10.45pm which was soon corrected (to be introduced late November :yeah: )

I say give us "all our minute’s campaign" should be started, should I print some tee shirts? :whistle:

I know some venues over run by a few minutes but too finish early :mad:

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 11:07 AM
That's Ceroc Chilterns, yes?

They do seem to be very precise about ending on the dot - which is annoying at Chesham (Fridays), as they're not too precise about finishing the class on the dot, so this cuts into the freestyle...

OTOH, Amersham always seems to go the distance.

It may be a venue-specific thing, though - the venue owners may be stricter at some places than others.

Zebra Woman
24th-October-2005, 11:18 AM
I hate being shortchanged out of freestyle time...:angry:

The class at Ashtons overran by 13 minutes, a few weeks ago. A few of us complained during the class, and the freestyle was extented at the end to make up the time, which was a nice gesture. Not the same as finishing on time though, as a lot of people had left on the dot unaware of the mini-extension.

The Ashtons class is regularly finishing at 9.10 these days :(.

Chesham is the worst IMO partly cos the class starts so late. It usually finishes at 9.50, not sure when it's supposed to finish though...

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 11:26 AM

Chesham is the worst IMO partly cos the class starts so late. It usually finishes at 9.50, not sure when it's supposed to finish though...
:yeah: - and because Chesham freestyle is normally so lovely, every minute you're not dancing hurts. I still think they should cut out the intermediate's class altogether and call it a proper freestyle night.

Oh, and whilst we're on the whinge circuit, the class at the last BFFF I went to was supposed to finish at 9.45pm, I got there just after 9.35, and it didn't finish until 10.05pm - so I had to wait around a half-hour, rather than the few minutes I'd expected.

Paul F
24th-October-2005, 11:31 AM
Oh, and whilst we're on the whinge circuit, the class at the last BFFF I went to was supposed to finish at 9.45pm, I got there just after 9.35, and it didn't finish until 10.05pm - so I had to wait around a half-hour, rather than the few minutes I'd expected.

I know what you mean but I think this was a pre-warned special class. Something to do with an international event of some description.

It wasnt good that it went on so long but, as far as i remember, it was made known. :flower:

MartinHarper
24th-October-2005, 11:53 AM

My favourite local freestyle regularly overruns by around 30 mins. Even then, folks will carry on dancing with the lights turned on and the tables being cleared up around them.

No real point: just wanted to brag. ;)

stewart38
24th-October-2005, 12:08 PM

what the f*** does that mean stewart38 , for god sake check what you write

"I know some venues over run by a few minutes but some finish a few minutes early" :mad: :yeah:

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 12:12 PM
I know what you mean but I think this was a pre-warned special class. Something to do with an international event of some description.

It wasnt good that it went on so long but, as far as i remember, it was made known. :flower:
??? Not to me, and indeed not to the people on the door - when I asked, they said "It's supposed to finish at 9.45". Admittedly, they looked a little sceptical when they said that, which should have made me cautious. :rolleyes:

I suspect the overrun was more because it was being filmed - there was some stuff mentioned about it being filmed to be used somewhere abroad or something, I wasn't really paying attention, just tapping my feet and looking impatiently at my watch...

Had I known, I'd have either got there early and done the salsa class downstairs, or got there later and taken my chances with the parking. But, and let's be brutal here, "Marco events" and "precise planning and marketing" are two phrases not often seen in close proximity to each other :devil:

CJ
24th-October-2005, 12:15 PM
My own policy is to ensure the last real track finishes at ten-thirty something:wink: then I play the bonus "experimental" track:D

(which is how "Will You", "Madison Blues", "Sweet Child O' Mine {:eek: :wink: :waycool: :waycool: } and "Rock Me" all became staples of my diet...

CJ
24th-October-2005, 12:18 PM
Meant to add....(duh)

On the subject of finishing warly, some DJs :whistle: will go to the extreme of setting off the fire alarm so he can finish 5, yes, FIVE, minutes early:eek:

Is ok: we didn't let him away with tthat kind of behaviour!!:rofl:

WittyBird
24th-October-2005, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately this is a regular occurrence at Berkhamsted and Chesham so I can understands Stewart38's grievance. As a regular at both venues I also feel as though I am being 'short changed'.

It is a shame really because it puts you off going. After the fantastic day I had yesterday :rolleyes: this was just the last straw.

memo to self - check typo's & grammer for round the corner lurks the pedantic one :whistle:

senorita
24th-October-2005, 12:44 PM
I hate being shortchanged out of freestyle time...:angry:

The class at Ashtons overran by 13 minutes, a few weeks ago. A few of us complained during the class, and the freestyle was extented at the end to make up the time, which was a nice gesture. Not the same as finishing on time though, as a lot of people had left on the dot unaware of the mini-extension.

I spoke to Jilly on Friday and she said, The second class starts around 9.10pm & it should be finished by 9.35/9.40pm...

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 12:54 PM
I spoke to Jilly on Friday and she said, The second class starts around 9.10pm & it should be finished by 9.35/9.40pm...
Yeah - and to be fair, it does, sometimes... Usually it's more like 9.45 though.

If they've still got guest teachers on Friday (?), you can never tell when they'll finish, it always varies.

Joe is too nice for his own good, he should start putting the music on and cutting the teacher off. On the other hand, you could argue that we're just promoting our own freestyle agenda, and that lots of people want to learn there, so they should have a full class.

Ideally, it'd be nice if they could guarantee a 2-hour freestyle set - if they did, I'd be there most Fridays. But at the moment, it's more like 1 1/2 hours - I spend almost as much time travelling as dancing.

senorita
24th-October-2005, 03:22 PM
Ideally, it'd be nice if they could guarantee a 2-hour freestyle set - if they did, I'd be there most Fridays. But at the moment, it's more like 1 1/2 hours - I spend almost as much time travelling as dancing.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

philsmove
24th-October-2005, 04:31 PM
My biggest complaint is when classes start late:angry:

If there are 60 people waiting for late comers

An hour wasted for every minute they have to wait

stewart38
24th-October-2005, 05:05 PM
My biggest complaint is when classes start late:angry:

If there are 60 people waiting for late comers

An hour wasted for every minute they have to wait

Windsor had a policy of starting on time ie 8pm well over a year ago now

It was starting to work (ie people turned up on time !) but then went back to the usual 8.15pm start. People wont turn up at 8pm if the class doesnt start till 8.15pm ! They will if it regulary starts on time !

Havent been for a while so dont know what its like now

So you could have a 8pm to 11pm venue, thats 180 mins

15 mins running late
20 mins class over run
7 mins early finish (I know thats rare)

42 mins lost

assume each class should be 30 mins each thats 102 mins

Thats 78 mins free style.

- 3mins (there is someone blocking someone in announcment)

Thats 75mins

Im printing the tee shirts , give us a freestyle minutes back !

we have three types of tee shirts on offer

If the venue says start 8pm then start 8pm
If the lessons last 60 mins in total let it be just that
If a car is blocking you in ram it out of the way dont interupt our free style !!

tiger
24th-October-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi all

Berkhampsted hours(according to their website) are 1915 til 2215 and have been for a while now.

To my knowledge and on some of the occasions ive been there the dj quite often plays an extra tune or two,hence usually ending later than the official time.

If anyone knows any different to this,please say...

WittyBird
24th-October-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi all

Berkhampsted hours(according to their website) are 1915 til 2215 and have been for a while now.

To my knowledge and on some of the occasions ive been there the dj quite often plays an extra tune or two,hence usually ending later than the official time.

If anyone knows any different to this,please say...

Thats fair enough but they shouldnt announce that its going all the way thru until 10-30 its just not right :tears:

all upset now sobbing in a corner waiting for the pedantic one to twist the knife one more time

stewart38
24th-October-2005, 07:39 PM
Thats fair enough but they shouldnt announce that its going all the way thru until 10-30 its just not right :tears:

all upset now sobbing in a corner waiting for the pedantic one to twist the knife one more time

I think it was the announcements, one said 10.45 but then correction that comes later (late november ?) then it was said it will go on till 10.30, so suprised a lot of people

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey, I've actually said nice things about you on the "Super CLUBS" thread. Admittedly I had to grit my teeth.

Oh, and your sig? The first "regret" shouldn't have a capital "R", you know. Whew, I feel better now, that's been bugging me for weeks.

frodo
24th-October-2005, 08:33 PM
....because Chesham freestyle is normally so lovely, every minute you're not dancing hurts. I still think they should cut out the intermediate's class altogether and call it a proper freestyle night.
Noooooo

Personally I'd prefer the intermediate class overruns if necessary.

However based on the last time I was at Chesham, if the beginners class started on time, rather than waiting for people to arrive, you could move the intermediate class something like 20 mins earlier.

frodo
24th-October-2005, 08:39 PM
So you could have a 8pm to 11pm venue, thats 180 mins

15 mins running late
20 mins class over run
7 mins early finish (I know thats rare)

42 mins lost

assume each class should be 30 mins each thats 102 mins

Thats 78 mins free style.

- 3mins (there is someone blocking someone in announcment)

However there is sometimes 20, 30 minutes or more before the class / beginners class where music is playing, the floor is near empty, which could perfectly well be freestyled to.

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 08:41 PM
Noooooo

Personally I'd prefer the intermediate class overruns if necessary.
Harrumph, there's no pleasing some people.

So why does Chesham finish so early? OK, there are houses around, but they're at least 100 yards away, and there's hedging and walls and things to muffle it - the noise can't be that loud, surely?

I'd pay more if it went on till midnight or later - hah, we can dream...

ducasi
24th-October-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh, and your sig? The first "regret" shouldn't have a capital "R", you know. Whew, I feel better now, that's been bugging me for weeks.Well if you want to correct, then IMHO, neither "regret" should be capitalised, and the comma should be a semicolon or a dash.

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 11:29 PM
Well if you want to correct, then IMHO, neither "regret" should be capitalised, and the comma should be a semicolon or a dash.
You've put a comma before the "and".
Oh, and it's "semi-colon".

:whistle:

WittyBird
24th-October-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey, I've actually said nice things about you on the "Super CLUBS" thread. Admittedly I had to grit my teeth.

Oh, and your sig? The first "regret" shouldn't have a capital "R", you know. Whew, I feel better now, that's been bugging me for weeks.

That's one thing I love about you :blush:
nothing la la la :rolleyes:

ducasi
25th-October-2005, 12:03 AM

:whistle:
I put a comma in because it's a (two-member) list. And my spell-check agrees with me that it's spelt semicolon, not semi-colon. (What does googlefight say?)

I'm surprised you didn't get me for the blatantly missing "be"! :whistle:

stewart38
25th-October-2005, 12:22 AM
However there is sometimes 20, 30 minutes or more before the class / beginners class where music is playing, the floor is near empty, which could perfectly well be freestyled to.

what venue does that please let us know ??

David Bailey
25th-October-2005, 07:51 AM
I put a comma in because it's a (two-member) list. And my spell-check agrees with me that it's spelt semicolon, not semi-colon. (What does googlefight say?)
semicolon: 2,750,000 results
semi-colon: 3,590,000 results

I WIN!! :rolleyes:

I'm surprised you didn't get me for the blatantly missing "be"! :whistle:
Actually, that's grammatically fine if you assume you are using "correct" as a verb, which I did.

(Oh, hell, OK, I missed it :tears: )

ANYWAY, back on some vague track, last night dancing, I noticed that the teacher was very strictly controlled by the DJ in terms of finishing on time - just after 9.30 in fact.

Although I hear the salsa class overran by 5 minutes, but don't tell anyone... :whistle:

bigdjiver
25th-October-2005, 01:18 PM

AFIK All of Ceroc Central venues start at 7:30, and the class starts at 7:45. On the fun nights there is usually 20 minutes music before the warm up/"beginner" class. Rarely does anyone dance then.

I have long had the ambition of doing a semi-showcase routine in that space, but I am not trying nearly hard enough for that ever to happen.

frodo
26th-October-2005, 12:10 AM

Based on my very limited experience.

- Chesham Friday as in the previous post.

- Ashtons Wednesday ( probably best if you like latin here ).

- Twyford Saturday with the one class. I did find it ironic having read comments about Twyford being great, but finishing too early, having an almost empty floor for quite so long before the class.

Ghost
26th-October-2005, 12:41 AM
semicolon: 2,750,000 results
semi-colon: 3,590,000 results

I WIN!! :rolleyes:

On Monday I had to explain to a teenager what 'pedantic' means. You could be a dying breed. (But then who would do all the proof-reading? :tears: )

Take care,
Christopher

TiggsTours
26th-October-2005, 09:13 AM
When were you last there?! Haven't done that for at least the last 6 months!

stewart38
26th-October-2005, 09:44 AM
Based on my very limited experience.

- Chesham Friday as in the previous post.

- Twyford Saturday with the one class. I did find it ironic having read comments about Twyford being great, but finishing too early, having an almost empty floor for quite so long before the class.

Never happen at chesham

doc martin
26th-October-2005, 12:31 PM
Well if you want to correct, then IMHO, neither "regret" should be capitalised, and the comma should be a semicolon or a dash.

Didnt either of you notice that there was something else to pick up on? Slackers :na: .

I have long had the ambition of doing a semi-showcase routine in that space[
I think you should check with DJ that it isn't called a semishowcase :whistle:

David Bailey
26th-October-2005, 01:21 PM
Didnt either of you notice that there was something else to pick up on? Slackers :na: .
Well, OK, then - you missed out the apostrophe from "Didn't", happy? :innocent:

ducasi
26th-October-2005, 05:05 PM
Didnt either of you notice that there was something else to pick up on? I like to aim my pedantry only at other pedants. For example....

Well, OK, then - you missed out the apostrophe from "Didn't", happy? You do realise you should use a dash "–", rather than a hyphen "-" there, don't you? [/ultra-pedant-mode] :na:

under par
26th-October-2005, 05:11 PM
(Oh' great) another realy fan_dabi-dozi pedant bitch-fest????:yeah:

David Bailey
26th-October-2005, 06:20 PM
I like to aim my pedantry only at other pedants. For example....
You do realise you should use a dash "–", rather than a hyphen "-" there, don't you? [/ultra-pedant-mode] :na:
You missed the opening tag for that mode, I believe? :na:

Pedant and syntax-checker, what more could a woman want in a manly man?

spindr
26th-October-2005, 06:57 PM
I like to aim my pedantry only at other pedants. For example....
You do realise you should use a dash "–", rather than a hyphen "-" there, don't you? [/ultra-pedant-mode] :na:
Which dash do you mean? The mdash —, or the ndash –, or the hyphen -?
SpinDr

ducasi
26th-October-2005, 06:58 PM
You missed the opening tag for that mode, I believe? :na: Sorry, that was me being funny...

Pedant and syntax-checker, what more could a woman want in a manly man? A sense of humour? :na: :na:

bigdjiver
26th-October-2005, 07:47 PM
...I think you should check with DJ that it isn't called a semishowcase :whistle:Naah - There's always a "dash it" in the middle of my dances.

stewart38
27th-October-2005, 01:09 PM
Hot of the press

More free style time and a advance class :clap: :clap:
-------------------------------------

EXTENDED SUNDAY AT BERKHAMSTED
This venue has become very popular and as requested by many of you I have managed to obtain an extension, therefore from Sunday, 27th November Ceroc at Berkhamsted will open from 7.15 pm until 11.00 pm to give you more freestyle. We will also be teaching, as well as the Beginners and Intermediate classes, an Advance class in the Sessions Hall for the more discerning dancer.
----------------------------------------

LMC
27th-October-2005, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm... an extra 45 minutes freestyle might tempt me back to Berko, even though I vowed to myself not to go again until they ban smoking in the bar...