PDA

View Full Version : Sat 29 Oct

tiger
23rd-October-2005, 08:21 AM
Bromley or Hammersmith or any other suggestions?

Paul F
24th-October-2005, 12:12 AM
I see JAGJive has 2 rooms at its freestyle on saturday.

Could be worth a look.

Stu
24th-October-2005, 01:28 PM
Has to be Hammersmith.

The floor is good (except for the crack at the front), the music has been excellent recently and I have noticed that it hasn't been as overcrowded as it was.

Little bit of a shortage on really good follows though, but ones does ones best :flower: .

Cya there I guess :clap: ......

Stu.

CJ
24th-October-2005, 01:52 PM
Has to be Hammersmith.

The floor is good (except for the crack at the front), the music has been excellent recently and I have noticed that it hasn't been as overcrowded as it was.

Don't knock the crack at the front!!:whistle:

Or are you discreetly saying there is a drug problem in Refusal Row?!? (or is it Wontbe Avenue?!?:rofl: )

Paul F
26th-October-2005, 10:11 PM
Just a word of warning if anyone is thinking of going to the JagJive event at Gt Bookham on saturday. If you want to go you have to email the guys in charge and reserve a place.

I just got an email from them listing all the names of the people that are going :what: I have never seen an organiser do that before. I think i like it :nice:
Anyway, just in case anyone thought they would be able to just turn up, you wont. Thought I had better say as they had to turn quite a few away last week and i would hate to think of people doing anything else but dancing on a saturday night. :wink:

David Bailey
26th-October-2005, 10:18 PM
I just got an email from them listing all the names of the people that are going :what: I have never seen an organiser do that before. I think i like it :nice:
:eek: I think that I don't like that. The idea of my name being circulated to everyone else makes me feel well uncomfortable - aren't there Data Protection regulations about that sort of thing?

Paul F
26th-October-2005, 11:11 PM
:eek: I think that I don't like that. The idea of my name being circulated to everyone else makes me feel well uncomfortable - aren't there Data Protection regulations about that sort of thing?

Now you mention it its a good way to get yourself caught out when using a perfectly good excuse not to go somewhere :what:

WittyBird
27th-October-2005, 12:55 AM
Don't knock the crack at the front!!:whistle:

Or are you discreetly saying there is a drug problem in Refusal Row?!? (or is it Wontbe Avenue?!?:rofl: )
:rofl: superb

Clive Long
28th-October-2005, 06:17 PM
<< snip >>
<< snip >>
Was just going to ask what the best way to Great Bookham is - and read that ^^^ up there ^^^

Makes me feel uncomfortable about going. Do the organisers wish to comment on the reason for distributing this info?

I hope it will be a great night, though.

Won't brave Hammersmith - so looking a bit thin, really.

Clive

under par
29th-October-2005, 04:31 AM
Was just going to ask what the best way to Great Bookham is - and read that ^^^ up there ^^^

Makes me feel uncomfortable about going. Do the organisers wish to comment on the reason for distributing this info?

I hope it will be a great night, though.

Won't brave Hammersmith - so looking a bit thin, really.

Clive

When I have previously attended and phoned or e-mailed for tickets to be left on the door I have received this email which has a list of names.

My recollection is of mainly a list of first names Paul and Sharon , Peter +1 etc as well as a few like Mark P. or Charlotte Q.

I do not understand why anyone would have a problem about this!:confused:

Why it would stop any dancer going dancing at a good venue, God only knows!!!

Why do we percieve something done differently as so suspicious???

under par
29th-October-2005, 04:45 AM

What a load of cobblers...

Detail what personal information is being disclosed when a list of dancers names attending a dance is circulated to dancers for goodness sake.:angry:

So you had better not post on the forum which events you are going to I wouldn't want you feeling uncomfortable any more now do we?

under par
29th-October-2005, 05:11 AM
Maybe I could have been more concilliatary with the last 2 posts above...I am in middle of 3rd night shift....

Still think its a load of cobblers though!

Clive Long
29th-October-2005, 07:07 AM
Maybe I could have been more concilliatary with the last 2 posts above...I am in middle of 3rd night shift....

Still think its a load of cobblers though!
You may well be right, but let me put it this way UP.

Why on earth is it relevant to me as a punter who else is going to an event - apart from those I have made an arrangement to meet there? Why does the organiser feel the need to tell me the names of people - most of whom I wouldn't know - or couldn't work out from a list such as: Dave P, Jools, Orbit, Spinal etc?

If someone could work out who was intending to go, would it affect their decision to attend if they saw the name "Clive Long" on the list. I hope not.

And probably stretching it a bit, if I could be identified from a published list I wouldn't want the man with a stripey T-Shirt carryig a bag with "swag" printed on it to know I was going to be 80 miles away from home one evening - although I guess whether I am at home or not is pretty irrelevant to members of that profession - I guess you have access to the stats on that - different thread.

I'm probably going to see a film but I really hope, and from the feedback I have read, believe Great Bookham will be a Great evening. My decision to release that information.

Clive

under par
29th-October-2005, 07:29 AM
But you have changed your position completely as a result of this info...from just about to ask directions to get Gt Bookham to now going to watch a film.

Is paranoia becoming a trusted ally of forumites does the lure of a good nights dancing get put to one side "just in case " something suspicious may be occurring.

I am probably way over the top cos I am very tired and just about to jump into bed but come on go and enjoy your dancing...!!

David Bailey
29th-October-2005, 11:11 AM
Detail what personal information is being disclosed when a list of dancers names attending a dance is circulated to dancers for goodness sake.:angry:
Well, their names, I presume - given someone's name, it's possible to find out scary levels of information about someone.

And I love most dancers, but surely there's the occasional bad apple in the bunch? Unless dancing is a totally effective method of preventing crime, in which case it should be subsidised :innocent:

So you had better not post on the forum which events you are going to I wouldn't want you feeling uncomfortable any more now do we?
That's my choice - but circulating a list of names without their consent is a little iffy. I'm reasonably sure this comes under Data Protection Legislation, as we had a fairly similar instance at work last week. Beaurocratic, yes, but identity protection is important.

CeeCee
29th-October-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Paul F
I just got an email from them listing all the names of the people that are going I have never seen an organiser do that before.

I imagine that other organisers don't do this because it may possibly be seen as unnecessary, unpopular, uncalled for, unhelpful, devisive and intrusive.

Originally posted by Clive Long
Why on earth is it relevant to me as a punter who else is going to an event - apart from those I have made an arrangement to meet there? Why does the organiser feel the need to tell me the names of people - most of whom I wouldn't know

Excellent questions, I'd love to hear their response.

Minnie M
29th-October-2005, 06:35 PM
Bromley or Hammersmith or any other suggestions?
For those going to Hammersmith - say hello to Wonder Boy for me please :clap:

Back on another of his fleeting visits, Adam (Ceroc Metro) is back - check out his web site for his schedule, he teaching lots this week :worthy:

Icey
29th-October-2005, 09:50 PM
That's my choice - but circulating a list of names without their consent is a little iffy. I'm reasonably sure this comes under Data Protection Legislation, as we had a fairly similar instance at work last week. Beaurocratic, yes, but identity protection is important.

A little off thread, but ...

The Data Protection Act was initally introduced into UK law in 1984 for two major reaons:

1) To counteract the threat to privacy caused by the increased ability of computers to hold, transfer and process personal data. Personal data is information about an individual.

2) To enable the UK to meet its obligations to ratify the Council of Europe Data Protection Convention.

The act was amended in 1988 to comply with the European Union's Data Protection Directive which extended the scope of the legislation from just computer records of personal data to manual records as well.

The act gives rights to individuals to access personal information held about them by a data controller and to seek compensation for any loss or damage suffered from the misuse of such personal data. Personal data is data relating to a living person who can be identified from the data itself and which is in the possession of a data controller.

The main principles of the Data Protection Act 1988 are:
1) The information in personal data should be obtained and processed fairly and lawfully

2) Personal data held shall be held only for one or more specified and lawful purposes and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes

3) Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to that purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

4) Personal data shall be accurate and where necessary kept up to date

5) Personal data held for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes

6) Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this act

7) Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of or damage to personal data.

8) Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside of the European Ecomonic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.

Personal data cannot be processed unless one of the following exclusions for processing is met:

The data subject consents to the processing. Consent must be explicitly obtained, it cannot be implied. In other words the data controller must ask the data subject whether personal can be processed priror to that processing taking place
Processing is the result of a contractual agreement
Processing is a legal obligation
To protect the vital interests of the data subject
Processing is in the public interest
Processing is required to exercise offical authority

My source is FTC Foulks Lynch ACCA 2.1 Information Systems study text

Stu
30th-October-2005, 02:01 AM
The main principles of the Data Protection Act 1988 are:

It was revised in 1998, not 1988, but yes originally passed in 1984. It was actually repealed and replaced with the 1998 version, rather than amended.

a better source would be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_protection_act
It's a much better summary and has links to the full version and to notes explaining some of it too.

It is however unclear whether somebody's name constitutes storing data about them to which they have a right to access and others not. I would need to investigate test cases for this. I suspect posting a guest list is not in breach personally :sick:

ok, you can wake up now!!!!

Stu
30th-October-2005, 02:04 AM
Hammersmith was great, so bah humbug to all who stayed at home and watched the telly. It was great, I got to meet a few forumites, one of who came over and introduced herself (thankyou :nice: ).

The crack at the front has gotten much worse (you can barely move for dealers now! :rofl: ).

Cya next time I hope......

Stu.

Icey
30th-October-2005, 08:58 AM
It was revised in 1998, not 1988, but yes originally passed in 1984.

Opps, looks like my copy typing isn't up to scratch. Apologies :blush:

Mr Cool
30th-October-2005, 10:49 AM
Great night at Bookhams so friendly, and great music in both rooms.
John Ford plays the best and most interesting swing and blues music i have heard bar none.
He is playing at Cambers blues room too wonderful :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

DavidY
30th-October-2005, 11:03 AM
Really enjoyed myself at Nottingham (Marcus Garvey) last night.

Marc & Rachel teaching, and Marc also DJ'd for some of the time. :clap: :worthy:

A good turnout but still space to dance. There were some good dancers there (some of whom had stayed on from the Cuban Blues workshop in the afternoon).

Paul F
30th-October-2005, 12:46 PM
Great night at Bookhams so friendly, and great music in both rooms.
John Ford plays the best and most interesting swing and blues music i have heard bar none.
He is playing at Cambers blues room too wonderful :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

:yeah: :yeah:

Im absolutely definately with you on that one MC :cheers:

Last night was absolutely amazing. The blues room floor was impeccable, the soft drinks really were at cost price (35p can of coke) and it wasnt too hot.

The music from John ford....
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

A lot of organisers promote swing and blues rooms and employ DJs that play, what I would call, familiar swing. Even though I still prefer this than the usual tedious MJ tracks last night was a cut above.
John played real blues and real swing. Im afraid I cant define what I mean by 'real' as I dont know the names of these tracks but suffice it to say they made the blues/swing room come alive.

To maintain a balance I will always write up what I think could be improved , within reason, on a night. Im struggling with this one. This isnt because its perfect as there were a few things others would want eg. a full bar, scantilly clad hula girls and so on. For me however it just ticked the only boxes that count :

a brilliant dancefloor
excellent dancers
chilled environment
awesome music

A fantastic night that easily lived up to the hype - and for &#163;6 :what: . I would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks to all at JagJive

Stu
30th-October-2005, 12:48 PM
Opps, looks like my copy typing isn't up to scratch. Apologies :blush:

or your normal typing

OOPS!!!!! :blush: :blush: :blush:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

harsh but fair.

El Salsero Gringo
30th-October-2005, 12:51 PM
I'd like to put in a good word for the music at Hammersmith last night. The first hour or so was a bit pop-y for my taste, but not bad for that, and then the last half of the evening was fabulous, lots of swing, latin and varied stuff at all different paces. (Including a fab slow swing version of Eye of the Tiger which I've not heard before.) Also the speakers were on the floor not on the stage which for some reason made the sound much clearer.

Well done to Annette.

tiger
30th-October-2005, 03:19 PM
Agreed El salsa.... Hammersmith was good last ngt. Music+sound were good+varied and lots of good dancers there. Many, many good ladies.

jivecat
30th-October-2005, 04:36 PM
Really enjoyed myself at Nottingham (Marcus Garvey) last night.

Marc & Rachel teaching, and Marc also DJ'd for some of the time. :clap: :worthy:

A good turnout but still space to dance. There were some good dancers there (some of whom had stayed on from the Cuban Blues workshop in the afternoon).

Yeah, me too. Thanks to the two DJs for an excellent set, and especially for Time after Time at the end, which I was really getting into until my partner said "They don't half play some weird stuff, sometimes.":sick:
:really:

Lynn
30th-October-2005, 06:56 PM
(Including a fab slow swing version of Eye of the Tiger which I've not heard before.) Possibly the Paul Anka 'Rock Swings' version?

Icey
31st-October-2005, 09:48 AM
or your normal typing

OOPS!!!!! :blush: :blush: :blush:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

harsh but fair.

Goodness, aren't you the picky one :na: Time for you to go and play on the Pedants corner me thinks :flower:

senorita
31st-October-2005, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Stu]Hammersmith was great, so bah humbug to all who stayed at home and watched the telly. It was great, I got to meet a few forumites, one of who came over and introduced herself (thankyou :nice: ).

Hey no problemo! :nice: :flower:

LMC
31st-October-2005, 12:43 PM
Hammersmith...

I had a few really nice dances, but had to 'work' to get partners and wasn't all that inspired by the music - it was "OK". But then I was in a really bad mood after sitting in traffic for too long. Four sets of roadworks (including two road closures) on the way home did not improve my temper either.

The floor was filthy - I spent some of the class crunching round on biscuit crumbs and might have had my shoes ruined if my eagle-eyed partner had not spotted the chewing gum (thanks Lee ).

Sorry to strike a sour note - but next time Hammersmith is on, I'm going elsewhere. If there isn't any other dancing I'll go to the pictures instead.

senorita
31st-October-2005, 01:10 PM
Hammersmith...

I had a few really nice dances, but had to 'work' to get partners and wasn't all that inspired by the music - it was "OK". But then I was in a really bad mood after sitting in traffic for too long. Four sets of roadworks (including two road closures) on the way home did not improve my temper either.

The floor was filthy - I spent some of the class crunching round on biscuit crumbs and might have had my shoes ruined if my eagle-eyed partner had not spotted the chewing gum (thanks Lee ).

Sorry to strike a sour note - but next time Hammersmith is on, I'm going elsewhere. If there isn't any other dancing I'll go to the pictures instead.

I sat out quite alot, as I got injured very badly on my right foot, a ladies stillitoe heel nearly went through my foot. Then my left ankle got scared with a sharp heel leaving skin torn. Plus I must have a huge head as it got knocked three times very badly & I ended up with an extremely bad migraine leaving me feeling very sick & I almost went sick in Miss conducts car on the way home. :tears: I spent the whole of Sunday in bed with this migraine :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
31st-October-2005, 01:13 PM
I sat out quite alot, as I got injured very badly on my right foot, a ladies stillitoe heel nearly went through my foot. Then my left ankle got scared with a sharp heel leaving skin torn. Plus I must have a huge head as it got knocked three times very badly & I ended up with an extremely bad migraine leaving me feeling very sick & I almost went sick in Miss conducts car on the way home. :tears: I spent the whole of Sunday in bed with this migraine :sad:Apart from that though, you had a great time, right?

senorita
31st-October-2005, 01:18 PM
Apart from that though, you had a great time, right?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

give me 5 mins to think about it! :D

sorry about the moaning...moan, moan, moan

oh plus I lost my earing, :sad:

& plus I didnt get a dance with that dodgy looking gezer called the ass of El salsero gringo :D :what: :o

Thats better got that off my chest :D

Have a nice day..good afternoon. adios for now :hug:

Dizzy
31st-October-2005, 01:26 PM
I have to say that I actually enjoyed Hammersmith on Saturday, even though I did not really feel in the 'mood'. :sick:

The dances that I did have were Fab though, especially with the forumites :drool:

All in all, it was worth going just for the dances but the music did tend to be slightly uninspiring.

WittyBird
31st-October-2005, 01:40 PM
I enjoyed it although it took me ages to get used to my shoes on the floor but all in all was a good night:grin:

Mary
31st-October-2005, 04:23 PM
excellent dancers .....

Ahem. How would you know?:wink: Or maybe you should make that singular. I remember Joy and myself making the most of a single window of opportunity to dance with you (and superb dances they were too, as always :worthy: ). It appeared there was only one dancer in the whole place for you .........:devil:

Rumours might spread.

M

Paul F
31st-October-2005, 05:11 PM
Ahem. How would you know?:wink: Or maybe you should make that singular. I remember Joy and myself making the most of a single window of opportunity to dance with you (and superb dances they were too, as always :worthy: ). It appeared there was only one dancer in the whole place for you .........:devil:

Rumours might spread.

M

Guilty. Guilty as charged. Guilty your honour :blush: :blush:

I admit it. I was a bad boy. (i will expect my sentence to be reduced for pleading guilty ;) )

I will PM you the reason :wink:

Mary
31st-October-2005, 05:19 PM
Guilty. Guilty as charged. Guilty your honour :blush: :blush:

I admit it. I was a bad boy. (i will expect my sentence to be reduced for pleading guilty ;) )

I will PM you the reason :wink:

Yes, you were a very bad boy - understandable given who your partner was - but still guilty.

Don't expect the court to show any leniency, and sentence starts this evening.
:devil:

M

CeeCee
1st-November-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Dizzy
I have to say that I actually enjoyed Hammersmith on Saturday, even though I did not really feel in the 'mood'.

Crikey, it seems like ages ago now but I'm with Dizzy on this one, Hammersmith was great fun, I thoroughly enjoyed it but unlike Dizzy I was definitely already in the mood, which helps. I did take a friend of mine who lives up North and she was not impressed much at all. At least I realised before that you can't please everyone all of the time.

The dances that I did have were Fab though, especially with the forumites

I had a night of super dances with all sorts of dancers. As for the forumites, you know who you are, a pleasure and a treat as always, thanks again guys.

All in all, it was worth going just for the dances but the music did tend to be slightly uninspiring.

Have to agree but while it can be tricky, what I try to do is just enjoy the dancing inspite of the sometimes unspiring tunes. By the way Dizzy you looked delightful in your outfit, a complete contrast to Hipsters the night before!

Happy dancing, CeeCee

senorita
1st-November-2005, 04:39 PM
Crikey, it seems like ages ago now but I'm with Dizzy on this one, Hammersmith was great fun, I thoroughly enjoyed it but unlike Dizzy I was definitely already in the mood, which helps. I did take a friend of mine who lives up North and she was not impressed much at all. At least I realised before that you can't please everyone all of the time.

I had a night of super dances with all sorts of dancers. As for the forumites, you know who you are, a pleasure and a treat as always, thanks again guys.

Have to agree but while it can be tricky, what I try to do is just enjoy the dancing inspite of the sometimes unspiring tunes. By the way Dizzy you looked delightful in your outfit, a complete contrast to Hipsters the night before!

Happy dancing, CeeCee

CRIKEY!!!! I must of been somewhere else then!!....
no wonder I couldnt find miss conduct all night!! ;-) wonder where she decided to go?? ;-P