PDA

View Full Version : Post Big Forum gathering

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-October-2005, 02:08 AM
Thats the end of the forum gathering then.

Well organised as usual and a really good turn out :)

Plaudits to FunkySi for mixing his 2nd last track in with the fire alarm :)

Apologies to Dizzy for falling over - I knew I had a sore knee and i really shouldnt have tried that move. Thanks Aleks for fixing it :)

Thanks to my partner Ceroc Jock we won the avatar fancy dress, even though he made an ass of himself. :rolleyes:

The tasty ice cream was impressive as runner up (though Little Monkey put much more effort into it to be honest :worthy: )

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-October-2005, 02:17 AM
B.F.G. Award Results

1st, 2nd and 3rd places listed with total points. A good night for ESG even though he snubbed the ceremony (thinks he's Marlon Brando ;) )

--------------------
Best Use of Innuendo
--------------------
Ceroc Jock - 30
Silver Fox - 19
Dee - 9

-------------
Most Humorous
-------------
El Salsero Gringo / DavidB - 16 (DavidB got prize for turning up ;) )
Dreadful Scathe - 14
David James - 11

------------
Most Helpful
------------
TiggerBabe - 13
DavidB - 12
DavidJames / Lynn - 11

-----------
Best Thread
-----------
Singletons Sofa - 16 (purple sparkler)
Star Signs v's Dancers - 11 (Minnie M)
Dancing DJ Question/Foxes Den - 6

-------------------------------
Biggest Hijacker
(for taking threads off topic)
-------------------------------
Drathzel - 12
CerocMetro - 9
DavidJames - 6

----------------------------------
Most thought-provoking post/poster
----------------------------------
El Salsero Gringo - 19
Clive Long - 13
DavidB - 11

-----------
Best Avatar
-----------
El Salsero Gringo - 20
Gadget - 7
(several) - 6

-------------------------
Best Tag Line / Signature
-------------------------
El Salsero Gringo - 8
Lou - 7
Lynn / Minnie M - 6

--------------------------------------------
Forum Star
(who made the biggest impact in a short time)
--------------------------------------------
El Salsero Gringo - 26
LMC - 25
Ducasi - 17

-------------
Most Pedantic
-------------
El Salsero Gringo - 27
DavidJames - 12
MartinHarper - 11

-------------------
Spurtle Award
(stirrer of debate)
-------------------
El Salsero Gringo - 20
Gus - 19
DavidJames - 18

-----------------------
Forum KING and QUEEN.
-----------------------
men
----
Franck - 23
El Salsero Gringo - 11
Gadget / SilverFox - 9

women
-------
Lory - 24
Tiggerbabe - 23
Lynn - 9

ducasi
23rd-October-2005, 02:39 AM
Thats the end of the forum gathering then. Speak for yourself! Some of us have another day of fun and frolics to go!

So-far it's been just awesome. Talking of which, some really great costumes, but far and away the best was Little Monkey's take on my very own avatar.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Congratulations to all the winners...

It's been really great meeting all the forumites – though I know I still have a few to meet, hopefully tomorrow!

I'll post more later... Going to my bed now!

EDIT: Oh, and thanks to the 17 people who voted for me as Forum Star. :flower: :hug:

I knew I didn't have much of a hope compared to the competition, but it's great being in third place. Thanks again! :kiss:

Little Monkey
23rd-October-2005, 03:50 AM
So-far it's been just awesome. Talking of which, some really great costumes, but far and away the best was Little Monkey's take on my very own avatar.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Ah, thanks. But I only came second, though..... The ass got first prize! I wonder which half got the champagne and which half got the fan?:rofl:

The most memorable dance of the evening was when I danced, dressed in my ice-cream cone, with the ass. And Nick (a bit of an ass....:whistle: ) tried to eat me.....:eek:

Loved having a blues room and a latin room in addition to the main hall. The floors were soooo fast, and I ended up having to change into my sneakers, as I was afraid of landing on my bum! The latin room music was by far my favourite sets, thanks Tiggerbabe and Marc! Oh, and I enjoyed Trampy's set in the blues room, too.:D

Thanks to all the lovely guys (and ladies!) I danced with, you were all very gentle and smooth, and my back behaved much better than I could even have hoped for! :hug:

Right. Time for bed. Will quite possibly have strange dreams about being an ice cream, and being chased around the dance floor by people who want to eat me.....!:eek:

Tired Little Monkey:flower:

Little Monkey
23rd-October-2005, 04:06 AM
Oh, and d'oh! I forgot to take my camera with me, so could the people who took photos of me kindly e-mail me some copies?:flower:

And of course post them here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LM

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-October-2005, 09:38 AM
Most Humorous
El Salsero Gringo / DavidB - 16 (DavidB got prize for turning up ;) ).
Most thought-provoking post/poster
El Salsero Gringo - 19
Best Avatar
El Salsero Gringo - 20
Best Tag Line / Signature
El Salsero Gringo - 8
Forum Star
El Salsero Gringo - 26
Most Pedantic
El Salsero Gringo - 27
Spurtle Award
El Salsero Gringo - 20Well, thank you all, I'm truly touched!

ps. DS? I didn't snub the awards - it's just that the dressing rooms weren't big enough, and the promoter wouldn't meet the terms of my rider.

ducasi
23rd-October-2005, 11:32 AM
Plaudits to FunkySi for mixing his 2nd last track in with the fire alarm :) I've checked, and there's no truth in the rumours that it was the dancing in the blues room that set the fire alarm off. Apparently they already had to block-off the smoke detectors in that room due to the amount of steam being generated... :D

For those that are interested, here's a little flavour of what I got up to at the BFG dance on Friday (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/10/22/bfg-friday/) and through Saturday (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/10/23/bfg-saturday/).

I expect I'll post a post-Sunday report in the wee hours tonight, and then a post-mortem report on Monday.

BFN... :hug:

Chicklet
23rd-October-2005, 12:08 PM
*lovey post warning*

I met LOU!!:clap:
He's gorgeous :devil:

I can't quite believe I have been out TWICE in one weekend (cos R66 was pretty groovy on Friday too :waycool: )

So good to see so many of the old faces looking sparkling. Thanks ever so much to everyone for all the good wishes and putting up with my poorly chat, I promise to have better patter next time!

Enormous hugs to Fran, really good to catch up in our far too infrequent but uniquely dry manner :rofl:

Really great fun to see so many people double take on my new barnet and not be too sure it was really me!

Dance highlight was DavidB and a lovely slender girl dancer in a black lace top with long dark hair who I have never seen before "take the floor" right in front of me in me front row armchair in the blues room. I don't think they will have danced before, the master started gently and over two or three tracks "pushed" isn't the right word, maybe "smoothed" is better, her following skills in his own inimitable fashion. Really delightful to watch this develop through the gears. I may be completely wrong but I got the feeling she didn't (cringeable phrase but most will know what I mean) "know who he was" and she seemed to just go with it without any seflconciousnessment (sic). It's spontaneous moments like that that remind me what these gatherings are all about really.

Big :hug: to Aleks for dressing up as a fab avatar.....think there were more than me who were keen to give her big :hug: s too.....

See you all again very soon hopefully,

oh and can't wait to get more than just a sniff :rofl: from Brady again ....

Little Monkey
23rd-October-2005, 12:33 PM
Photos please.....

Dance Demon
23rd-October-2005, 03:12 PM
Bah......missed most of it this year due to prior engagements:sad: ....but looking forward to playing a chillout set tonight:clap: ......that Ass made a brief appearance at R66 on Friday night....at a 60s 70s theme night?:confused: ...maybe it was Red Rum...he was a 70s horse:rofl: ...anyway, hope most of our southern friends are still around tonight, so I can meet and maybe get a few dances in:waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-October-2005, 05:11 PM
Speak for yourself! Some of us have another day of fun and frolics to go!

A good point - I just meant the party :)

Indeed. I couldn't see very well out of the er...ass , so I don't really know what the other costumes were. I missed Aleks in a basque though :tears:

Congratulations to all the winners...

yes - not that there were many winners ;) If only my wife had voted I may have won most humorous ;) damn it !

She sends her apologies for not being there, but the brief night out to Route66 was more than enough for Niamh for a week.

It's been really great meeting all the forumites – though I know I still have a few to meet, hopefully tomorrow!

you're very quiet you know - almost as bad as me ;)

I did buy the sweets I promised - I just didnt realise that Franck had cleared out the sweet department in Tescos already - so I put them at the table between the Blues and Latin rooms. killingtime says he got his chocolate buttons under false pretences, but its quite alright :)

LMC got her mints though, I hope she could taste the thoughtfulness ;)

Mary
23rd-October-2005, 08:15 PM
I would like to say thank you for all the lovely dances I had with the men who live north of the border - a real treat. But especially a big thank you to Dave Hancock for letting me practise some WCS with him - it was the kind of dance that reminded me of why I keep battling to get to grips with the technique - as far as I'm concerned I think we rocked!!! It just felt sooooo good, and so easy to follow, with brill musicality.

Just gutted the music wasn't quite right for practising with Brady :tears:

Hey DS - chocolate corner was fab. Became quite a congregating/gossip zone :wink:

M

Lou
24th-October-2005, 07:51 AM
I met LOU!!:clap:
He's gorgeous :devil:
:rofl: :na: Ha! And I never got a dance with you. :whistle:

What a fab weekend. I just couldn't believe how lovely everyone was, and how wonderfully you all dance. It was such a pleasure to actually meet so many people in real life & put faces to names.

I'd write more, but I get the feeling if I start, I'll never stop!

Little Monkey
24th-October-2005, 01:20 PM
PHOTOS!!!

Please.......:flower:

Aleks
24th-October-2005, 01:51 PM
Apologies to Dizzy for falling over - I knew I had a sore knee and i really shouldnt have tried that move. Thanks Aleks for fixing it

You're welcome :hug:.

A huge thank you from me to all of those who took the plunge over the weekend by giving me cold cash in return for foot massage/other stuff. If anyone's interested in a repeat or even a first time, I'll be available for same at Pitlochry next weekend and Beach Ballroom in Aberdeen. I've promised CJ that all cash for stuff I do while he's getting waxed for charity shall be passed on the PBC Foundation.

Saxylady
24th-October-2005, 01:52 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
lovely people
lovely venue
lovely atmosphere
lovely music
lovely dances
lovely choccies
loved it!

Mary
24th-October-2005, 01:55 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
lovely people
lovely venue
lovely atmosphere
lovely music
lovely dances
lovely choccies
loved it!

Lovely post!!!!

:D :devil:

Saxylady
24th-October-2005, 02:43 PM
Lovely post!!!!

:D :devil:

Sorry if that was a bit OTT - guess I'm still a bit high from it all... :)

Mary
24th-October-2005, 02:57 PM

Only teasing :wink:

M

Mary
24th-October-2005, 02:58 PM

Or is it the 'lovely' drugs.
:D

M

Saxylady
24th-October-2005, 03:23 PM
Or is it the 'lovely' drugs.
:D

M

Who needs drugs when there's dancing?? (And chocolate) :yum:

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 03:54 PM
Who needs drugs when there's dancing?? (And chocolate) :yum:
i was going to start a post on same lines:whistle:

My head is on an all time high, buzzing so much so i had to buy a note book and I`ve been stopping in lay bys all the way up the road writing ditty`s as they come into my head ,which is some thing i`ve never done before in my life

ah, now ,reading them now i `m home is a different story such rubbish handwriting:rofl:

great w/e my first ever dance w/e not to mention B F G and heh it won`t be my last:yeah:
Zimmer frame allowing of course

Lynn
24th-October-2005, 04:12 PM
What a great weekend!

Lovely to meet so many forumites that I hadn't met before and catch up with familiar faces. Nice to take some time out from the dancing to chat and chill.

Big thanks to Drathzel for hospitality and driving. :hug: :flower: And Aleks for cooking!

The workshops were so good - I will be processing the things I've learned for a while I think.

The DJing was great, I was torn between which room to be in on Sat night (though as usual ended up in the blues room). Thanks guys!

And the dancing....took me a while to get on form (and apologies to anyone who danced with me on Sun afternoon as I couldn't get my brain and feet into gear at all :blush: ) I think I was processing a lot of stuff from the workshops, or thinking too much or something... Made up for it with lots of really lovely dances on Sun night.:flower: :clap:

And of course a big :worthy: :hug: :worthy: :hug: :worthy: to Franck, Tiggerbabe and everyone who made it such a fab weekend!

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 04:18 PM
well wow what can one say

my first venture out in the world wide ceroc dance world and what a w/e:yeah:
A BIGthank you and congratulations on such a wonderfull w/e has to go to Franck :yeah: :clap: :cheers: and of course every one else behind, and in front,the scenes :yeah:

I hope that tyre was the only flat spot in the whole w/e

I just hope brain ,when my head and body when they stop spinning.is a bit like my computer hard drive and at least some of the information got absorbed and is in there some where even tho its not finding its way on to the screen at the mo ,thanks guys for a BRILL w/e:yeah:

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 04:39 PM
Well thats it I`ve finally flipped:blush:

Had to go shopping on way home from the super dooper smashing great BFG

Thanks to Franck and Marc :worthy: and their lead and follow/style tip workshops :waycool:

I found myself totally oblivious to what i was actually doing
But there I am doing lead and follow and triple steps up the frozen food isle in Asda in Perth, with a shopping tolley :blush: :blush: :blush:
It must have been such a picture if any one had actually clocked me :rofl: not just the dancing, but the fact I was in stitches , when I realised what i was doing,grinning from ear to ear :rofl: with tears rolling down my cheeks

Thanks again guys for such a great w/e:cheers: :yeah: :clap:
:tears: just a pity it had to come to an end

full marks for the tolley it was a great follower,much better than the table we had in Marcs class

so Marc next work shop take a shopping trolley as a prop :cheers:

ShinyWeeStar
24th-October-2005, 05:02 PM
there i am doing lead and follow and triple steps up the frozen food isle in Asda in Perth, with a shopping tolley :blush:

Wish I'd been there to see it! :rofl:

clevedonboy
24th-October-2005, 05:02 PM
I was bopping in the Duty Free shop at Glagow airport last night before catching our flight to Bristol - Dancing In The Moonlight was playing, got a few looks from the assistant!

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 05:09 PM
I was bopping in the Duty Free shop at Glagow airport last night before catching our flight to Bristol - Dancing In The Moonlight was playing, got a few looks from the assistant!

You should have got her in the isle for a dance:yeah:

Little Monkey
24th-October-2005, 05:21 PM
Surely there must be some more photos by now???????????

CJ
24th-October-2005, 05:30 PM

They are on this thread...

One of you &the ass.
Dizzy as Tess...
Group photo..

can you not see them?!?

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 05:37 PM
I`m sure there are threads on this some where on here already

But can I just say what a boost my confidence has taken with the BFG w/e

Thanks to all the lovely ladies i had the pleasure of dancing with too numerous to mention( ok read haven`t got a clue who i was dancing with)

Thanks for all the compliments on my dancing from both the girls i danced with and the guys who watched me on the dance floor

Just a pity my brain won`t work to get some more of instructions on the moves i

learnt over the w/e
to my feet and arms

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 05:50 PM
Sad or what there i was sitting in Asda car park in Perth writing notes ( unheard of for me by the way)
Not only has my dancing improved well at least i think it has

But I feel 1oo% better in myself as a person it certainally was a real tonic / boost for me hope others feel the same,and i hope this fealing last a long time

Thanks again to all involved:yeah: :clap:

JL
24th-October-2005, 05:54 PM
Great Weekend

Music, venue, workshops atmosphere brill.

No truth in the rumour that the fire brigade were sent for to put out the candles on my birthday cake.

Thanks to all the ladies for the birthday dances.

Thanks also to Franck and all those who made it such a successful weekend.

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 05:58 PM
weh heh JL next year I`m bringing my birthday forward a month:yeah:

see you in Inv. again soon too I hope

doc martin
24th-October-2005, 06:07 PM
They are on this thread...

One of you &the ass.
Dizzy as Tess...
Group photo..

can you not see them?!?
Well I must have a paper bag on my head because I can't see them.:sad:

CJ
24th-October-2005, 06:33 PM
Well I must have a paper bag on my head because I can't see them.:sad:
Touche!!:wink:

Night Owl
24th-October-2005, 06:46 PM
Well Tiggerbabe
Great idea
Easy access with airport on doorstep:clap:

But a venue with the floors and the halls to match Glasgow uni mmmmmmmmmm may be not :tears:

But would be a great idea for some sort of week ender tho our own venue as you know would be a bit small ,thats of course assuming people would travel up here that is

But may be Franck and your self should pop in to The Drumossie Hotel one day
if you haven`t done so already that is
as theres a cracking dance floor/ hall there just a bit too big for thursday night , at the mo any way

Yet again tho ,can i say thanks to yourself and Franck and all those involved in making the BFG such a wonderfull w/e:hug: :yeah: i loved it,heres to the next one:cheers:

Icey
24th-October-2005, 07:35 PM
I've checked, and there's no truth in the rumours that it was the dancing in the blues room that set the fire alarm off. Apparently they already had to block-off the smoke detectors in that room due to the amount of steam being generated... :D

All I heard when being herded outside was cries of "My shoes!" and "I'm not walking on in that rain in my dance shoes - they cost too much"

I was one of the above so Peter tried to pick me up to carry me back so that I wouldn't wreak them futher :worthy: my shoes did eventually recover.

Firefighters - always a nice addition to a good night :drool: (When they're not needed for actual emergencies of course!)

Dizzy
24th-October-2005, 07:39 PM
Firefighters - always a nice addition to a good night :drool: (When they're not needed for actual emergencies of course!)

:yeah:

but only 5 minutes AFTER the last dance of the night!! :wink:

Gadget
24th-October-2005, 08:01 PM
:D :waycool:

Great weekend. Can’t really think on any negatives: even the fire alarm going off on Saturday – there were only a couple of tracks left to play.

Too many people to thank everyone that danced with me, but even those I screwed up were great dances. I hope I didn’t miss anyone – I certainly tried to dance with everyone :flower: Thankyouthankyouthankyou for making it such a great event. (Oh, and thanks to Franck & team for hosting it :wink: )

The venue was stately, with the charm of having students inhabit it for years: worn. Like a comfey jumper. The floors were fast (“skitey”). There was a fresh/toasted sandwich bar right opposite the main hall we were dancing in with a bar open at night in one corner of it. Up the stone stair case were either side of the room set aside for massage and reflexology {I only heard good things ( :worthy: ) from the attendees who chilled out in engulfing seats in the hall}. The smaller of the halls was lined with these red leather seats and had a bar in one corner. Some great blues was played with in here… just as well it was quite slow: the floor was like ice. The other side of the hallway had a large stage and balcony, the floor here was just about spot on, but drifted towards the stage.

The parties: Friday night was a good ice-breaker. A crowd of friends you knew, but had never met. Apologies for not socialising or introducing myself to many men: just not as pretty. Saturday was the main event. Some very nice people in some very nice dresses. Apologies again; this time for the left and right first move (– I happened to comment to Franck after one of his workshops that I got it to work once, but just couldn’t get it to work again... so he made it the ‘class’ :rolleyes: ). The aerial show cases were impressive, and reinforce why I don’t like them – so many hearts in mouths. Probably not the best of floors to do it on.

And to the fancy dress. Personally, I found Alex particularly distracting as Chicklet :blush::drool:. There was also Tiggerbabe as Lisa, several mini-mouses, zebra women, my Ceroc star and a couple of others (sorry: I was ‘distracted’ :innocent: ). The stars of the show (who indecently won) were DS & CJ’s ESG and in 1st place, Little Monkey’s Ducasi. :worthy: The rest of the awards I’m sure someone else will post.

The party continued in Latin, Blues and General rooms. I found that the music wasn’t really as polarised as that, and ended up drifting about having a dance or two in each room. I don’t know if that’s why I had a bit of trouble tracking down some forumites for more than one dance, or why I managed to track down some forumites for more than one dance :D.

There were lots of workshops, and the whole lot seem to be blurred in my head (no disrespect to the teachers - I think Tramp’s CD should help separate them). But this is my recollection of them:

Marc: Smooth Moves. Showing how to join and create moves by randomly selecting a basic move and adding in a ‘flourish’ to create a routine.

I had done a similar workshop with him in Aberdeen, of course the moves were different; but the concept behind it was still the same. A little bit further this time and made the moves split into 8-count segments so that it would all fit in with the track ‘smooth operator’.

I get why and how, but later in the afternoon David and Lily’s Musicality workshop clicked something into place that was obscured here: You don’t need it to be 8 counts. Just change the timing of the move to make it fit the music. (OK, normally 8 counts, but you don’t have to ‘pad’ a 5 count move with a 3 count flourish to make it fit.)

Marc: Cuban Blues Trying to bridge the gap between ‘close and smoochy’ blues and ‘open and livley’ MJ Slotted dance style primarily.

I’m not sure if I had seen this concept before – probably. But it seems to be how I dance normally; I’m not sure I got much more out of this, except to reinforce some of my own ideas. Personally I would add a couple more tips into this workshop: On moves where you would step back from the lady, step forward instead. And rotate the slot 90º on moves that fit it.

David & Lily: Adding Dimension Insert some contrast into the dance. Contrast only works when there is a ‘flat’ level to show it up against. It works betters when there is a ‘white’ next to a ‘black’. This contrast can be in spatial movement, close/open movements, vertical movements (dips/aerials) , or timing. 4 dimensions of dance.

More of a lecture style workshop with demonstrations of concepts. For me, it confirmed what I took from observation in Howard and Nicola’s workshops earlier in the year.

Franck: Using the lady’s left hand What it says on the tin. Double your repertoire and highlight any errors that may exist in your leading. Balance etc should be the same from one side to the other – why limit yourself?

I may catch or release the “wrong” hand on occasion or want to do something a bit different. This helps improvise on the spot and work out why a lead isn’t working quite the way it should.

David & Lilly: Instrumental Musicality A follow on from last year’s musicality workshop {was it only last year?:what:} Another ‘lecture’ style workshop where they talked about being able to dance to every instrument in a track rather than just the drummer that most folk dance to. Don’t worry about making the moves fit the music – almost guaranteed that there will be something in the music that matches what you are doing.

Lily went over this, but the hardest part of actually using the music in your dancing is working out what bit of music your partner is actually dancing to. It was put over that it’s the follower’s responsibility to wait and listen for the lead to pick it up and dance to what they hear.

I hold with the opposite camp: I think that leads should ‘listen’ for what the follower hears and adapt to that.

Simon: Advanced Australian Jive Flowing moves together, double spins.

Why this makes it “Australian” is beyond me – the ‘advanced’ seemed to be that moves were thrown in one after another. Similar to Marc’s first workshop, but instead of one “move” at a time (and done on the fly), a pre-defined set of lots and lots, done at speed.

I found this hard just in memory terms, but so much brain power was used in that, there was little to say why this was different from any other routine.

Marc: Style tips for men as a lead, being aware of the connection to the music and the follower. The difference in solo dancing and partner dancing – isolating the lead hand from any styling.

I know that this was the first time that Marc & Rachel had done this workshop, but there seemed to be a lack of ‘game plan’; only a vague style should be in here somewhere. I think that there was too much to convey and peripheral things like leading/following and musicality sort of took over. (Although drawing a line is more than I would attempt.) I talked over a few ideas and feedback about the workshop with them and while there was a lot conveyed in this one, I think that the next one will be a lot better.

Emma: Funky Jive A ‘funked up’ routine with head-flicks, steps and poses.

Fun class, very ‘staccato’ in movements to tie in with the style. Not so much a “how to” more a “this is how we”. A few un lead-able bits (choreographed), but that wasn’t the point – it was learning a funky routine and perhaps getting some inspiration.

I decided to dance in the tea-dance rather than do either of the last couple of workshops – hopefully I’ll see what I missed on the CD. (I was torn, but cakes and cookies and music and dancing won me over.)

Over all a brilliant weekend, packed with fabulous dancers, top teachers, and good music. What could be done better? A definite lunch break during the workshops. Stickers/badges with forumites names/avatars. Other than that, I could have danced for another few hours. :wink:

Minnie M
24th-October-2005, 08:28 PM
Football half time, Jack can now clear the stuff out the way in the garage so I can get my car out and go home :cheers: :whistle: funny priorities my son has :rolleyes:

got to quickly get the thanks in first - will post more when I get home (after I have seen Feel & Grunt that is) better hurry second half will start in a mo

THANK YOU FRANCK, SHEENA the fantastic DJ's the great teachers and all the Ceroc team helpers - the best MJ weekender I have been on :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

And an extra extra special extra thanks to our Forum King:hug: :kiss: :hug:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
24th-October-2005, 08:41 PM
PHOTOS!!!

Please.......:flower:

It's not letting me post my pictures...and i've been trying for 15 minutes!!! Hopefully i'll manage to get them posted 2morrow or the next day...or maybe i'll try again 2nite.

Ash x

David Bailey
24th-October-2005, 08:46 PM
It's not letting me post my pictures...and i've been trying for 15 minutes!!! Hopefully i'll manage to get them posted 2morrow or the next day...or maybe i'll try again 2nite.

Ash x
There's a size limit I believe, I think it's 100K per file or something like that - maybe they're too big?

If you've got them as bitmaps (.bmp), you can make them smaller if you save them as JPEG or GIF? Failing that, most graphic programs (e.g. Paint Shop Pro) can reduce the sizes of images.

Failing that, mail them to Franck and ask him to post them, I'm sure he can do anything... :worthy:

Dizzy
24th-October-2005, 08:51 PM
I am still on a high and in much need of sleep!!!

This weekend has just been FAB!!!!!!

Thank you to all the luverley dances that I have had this weekend with so many great partners. :worthy: :worthy:

BIG, BIG, BIG THANK YOU to Franck and Sheena for putting on such a great event and being just sooooo nice. :hug: to both for dances with each of you. Also thanks for post dance sandwiches and drinks on saturday night at the hotel. :cheers: I especially enjoyed watching DavidB leading Sheena in a dance while sitting in his chair the whole time. :worthy:

The venue was great with the main room downstairs and then latin room with Marc and Sheena :drool: and Blues room with CJ and Trampy :drool: :drool:

The workshops were soooo good and especially liked the style tips (Thanks Little Em!!) and Cuban Blues.

Can't wait to see the CD of the weekend so I can remember much more then I have taken in at the moment. Need sleep..........

Tiggerbabe
24th-October-2005, 09:35 PM
True to form, I had my camera and took only a few photos...........but here they are

The Forum King and Queen
Gadget and CJ dancing (and enjoying it A LOT!!!!)
Franck and Rachel
Minnie Mouse and Lisa :wink:

Gadget
24th-October-2005, 09:56 PM
Sorry CJ, but that was a favour to Rachel: she was annoyed that she hadn't had a dance with you or Franck, then you started dancing together... so I just stole & transferred to grant her wish - seemed a shame to waste a dance... You've got the hair, but Rachel is a much better mover :flower:

Heather
24th-October-2005, 11:28 PM
No truth in the rumour that the fire brigade were sent for to put out the candles on my birthday cake.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :yeah: :rofl: :rofl:

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
XX

PS The cake was delicious!! ( Happy birthday to you too !!:wink: )

LMC
24th-October-2005, 11:44 PM
Right, I've just had four hours sleep (which was probably a bit stupid, I'm wide awake now... never mind).

First up as most important - another huge thank you to Franck and all involved in organisation - the weekend went very smoothly. And as has already been mentioned by several people even laid on firemen specially (just please make sure it hasn't been raining next time? - we don't care if we burn down, but we want to keep our suede soles pristine).

Workshops:
Gadget has already posted on some, here's my reviews...

Franck - Lead & follow basics
Another 'what it said on the tin'. Closed eyes lead and follow, compression exercise (although only with a playing card, not a fiver, shame...). I particularly liked the leverage exercise - trying to keep a 4" length of ribbon 'taut' between us. I even got to keep the gorgeous orange ribbon as a souvenir, it's going on my suitcase to ID it at baggage reclaim next time I also appreciated that Franck made the guys try to follow (and the ladies lead) - I've led a couple of times before, but only a couple, so we were all awful - and it gave an insight into how difficult it is for the other role.

Bill - Double trouble intro
Some very useful insight into technique/style for DT as well as the moves. Not much else to say about this one except that it was great fun!

Franck - using the lady's left hand
As Gadget has already indicated, this gave a great insight into balance and doubles a guy's repertoire of moves! It also highlights any hints of backleading/anticipation... Not too sure about catching the left hand out of a spin - this may be my balance as much as anything, but IMO, guys: if you want to 'catch' left handed, we won't be expecting it and as catches need to be fairly firm, it could hurt if you aren't careful please. Fantastically good fun, I shall be trying to persuade some of the guys at my regular venues to give it a go, who's up for it? (trying left-hand leading that is...)

Franck - controlling the frame in a slower tempo
Some more 'advanced' lead and follow techniques - and fabulous innuendo potential when talking about 'matching the pressure' and maintaining connection at different bodily 'contact' points. My 'hand to hand' connection has, I think, improved massively over the last few weeks - but it was really useful to pinpoint that a) my 'back to lead's hand' connection is rubbish and needs work before I will be able to "get" those syncopated walks and b) my centre of balance is too far forward. Would be fascinating to hear what others got out of this workshop, it was "the one" of the weekend for me - still too much to assimilate to be any more specific about it sorry.

Emma - Style tips for women
I have to say that this was the only one that didn't "do it" for me - through no fault of anyone but myself. I just couldn't get into the routine. I didn't hear anything but good of the workshop from those who stayed.

Franck - Fingertip leading
Another really good fun one (I'm sorry I was naughty). Closed eyes exercises very useful, once again. I would love a more intermediate level workshop to follow this up with more 'look no hands' lead and follow - maybe next year?

I feel like my dancing has "disimproved" - but hopefully with the potential to be so much better once I've sorted out all that I've learned and got over the inevitable learning dip which happens when you try to take in too much at once! The "take-homes" for me to really focus on are definitely posture and balance.

Freestyles
Far too many fabulous dances to list them all... the "one of the weekend" was, very luckily for me, my last one on Sunday night (the track before the last one) with McJester (lurker on here) and Gadget swapping me between them - without missing a beat. Made me feel like it was my birthday all over again, lovely!

The smallish number of people compared with many weekenders made it possible to find those you wanted to dance with again. And standards were definitely averagely very high - a real privilege to dance with some of you guys, thank you.

"The rest"...
Just lovely lovely lovely to put faces to so many names on here and meet others again - too many to list. Sorry I missed dancing with some of you (the Smurf and Tiggerbabe are two that spring to mind). The hotel was comfortable (thanks for the recommendation Your Majesty (Lory)) and breakfast was superb, really set you up well for the day.

Really appreciated the alternative therapies - Bill's massage was BTC and I can't thank Aleks enough :hug: - enjoyed our lunch together too.

It wouldn't be fair to compare Scotland with Southport - they were both so different. But if I could only go to *one*... I'd be heading to Luton airport, not up the M1.

ducasi
24th-October-2005, 11:53 PM
For those that are interested, here's a little flavour of what I got up to at the BFG dance on Friday (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/10/22/bfg-friday/) and through Saturday (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/10/23/bfg-saturday/).

I expect I'll post a post-Sunday report in the wee hours tonight, and then a post-mortem report on Monday. As promised...

Here's my Sunday report (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/10/24/bfg-sunday/) and my whole weekend round-up (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/10/24/bfg-the-big-picture/).

For best results, you're better reading them in order...

Would love to get some comments on these posts... Let us know if you recognise yourself anywhere... :flower:

animaltalk
25th-October-2005, 12:01 AM
Back home again, about to crawl into bed to attempt to rest my poor abused body.

Just wanted to say thank you all for fantastic weekend, the dancing I knew was going to be great, (I was telling Frank how lucky he was to have so many lovely ladies to dance with all the time).

But the friendliness and the welcome was wonderful as always.

Lara and myself had a superb time. Too many high points to mention.

Thank you again

Nick
(From Devon - Not Manchester, contrary to some vicious rumours)

PS - Looks like I'll be in Hammersmith on Saturday, and highly likely I'llbe upto Aberdeen in November. (Have already checked flights and rota) Hopefully see some of you there.

PPS - All visitors to "sunnyish" Devon welcome

Little Monkey
25th-October-2005, 10:04 AM
Ooooh, what a nice avatar you've got, Ducasi! :D :cool: :rofl:

Minnie M
25th-October-2005, 10:49 AM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

....... standards were definitely averagely very high - a real privilege to dance with some of you guys, thank you.
:worthy: considering how long some of the guys had been dancing (eg: Ducassi & Killingtime) techncally I can put it that down to the excellant teachers you have in Scotland :worthy: but what sense of fun and musicality too, I loved all my dances - thank you :kiss:

:blush: there were some really special 'thank you's too - apologies for the 'yuck' bit but ...... to all my special dances (and you know who you are :whistle: ) wow, wow and another wow :worthy: CJ you rock :clap: and dancing with Gadget was like the advert from Lost :drool: in fact every dance I had was truly fantastic thank you all :hug:

It wouldn't be fair to compare Scotland with Southport - they were both so different. But if I could only go to *one*... I'd be heading to Luton airport, not up the M1.

No comparison at all, however it can be compared with some of the events we have down south (many of which I have worked on) but this was different ISFA it felt like a party with all my best friends who I don't see very often - I had more hugs this weekend than the rest of the year put together - I love you all :hug: :hug: :hug:

Special thanks to Brady, Dave H, Claire S, Janet etc., for looking after me so well, and to my mate Northants Girly and her lovely man :hug: Really lovely seeing Linda up and dancing again and fantastic seeing the lovely Chicklet again and hopefully she too will be dancing again soon :hug:

Nothing more to say about the BFG that has already said before, I only did David & Lily's classes due to taking in other things BFG and Scotland had to offer. These guys are the masters, and we are so lucky to have them in the UK AND on our forum :worthy:

I am sorry I missed the Friday party, I was at Route66 (just had to do it) - DD is my hero, just wish he could clone himself so we could have him down here - thank you for making me feel so welcome and letting me dance my little socks off, I had a fab time :clap:

and last, but certainly not least ..........

for those who didn't get a chance - try a taste of Kinesiology :worthy: I had a 40minute (stretched a bit though :blush: ) with Alek on Sunday morning :worthy: truly amazing :worthy: I hobbled in with sore aching limbs, but primarily for help with my bad foot (I have heel spur/plante faschitus) for those who danced with me Sunday night, you would never had known - I had NO PAIN whatsoever - truly amazing :worthy: I could do with another session today - any chance we can clone her too please :innocent:

(got home in time to see Feel & Grunt on Freeview - great to have them back)

Dizzy
25th-October-2005, 10:57 AM
for those who didn't get a chance - try a taste of Kinesiology :worthy: I had a 40minute (stretched a bit though :blush: ) with Alek on Sunday morning :worthy: truly amazing :worthy:

:yeah:

I had a session with Aleks too and it was amazing :worthy: :worthy: :hug:

Recommend a foot massage to anyone if they get the chance!!

Minnie M
25th-October-2005, 11:54 AM
oh.... just remembered.... did anyone see the 'Double Trouble' with Cruella, Dave H and Brady :worthy: - Cruella lead the two boys and did a fantastic job too - much better than some of the competition ones and was fun too :yeah:

ducasi
25th-October-2005, 12:58 PM
Why thank you... :flower: It's a real work of art, don't you think?

I've got a plan to "enhance" it a little... Might have a go this evening... :wink:

Ickle Chick'n
25th-October-2005, 01:28 PM
But the friendliness and the welcome was wonderful as always.

Lara and myself had a superb time. Too many high points to mention.
Thank you again...

Couldn't agree more, had a wonderful time, everyone was so friendly, had some brilliant dances, thankyou to all the lovely men.

Deffinately say it was well organised (Many thanks to Franck and team for doing a brilliant job) and was such a friendly atmosphere where I got to meet loads of people rather than losing them in a crowd like bigger venues!

Thanks to the girlies that introduced themselves too, nice to get to know girlies as well as guys as you don't tend to normally, lovely to meet you all.

Workshops were great!!! Loved James and Mels' classes a lot of fun, Marc and Rachel were great as always and David and Lilly's class was wicked! Little Em's class is not normally my kinda thing, I'm not particularly funky, but I really enjoyed it, great fun. Only regrets were that I couldn't do all the classes and missing Simon's class in the morning cos I was a wimp and slept in!!!:sad: Thanks to Simon for the lovely dances and comliments though:blush:

I'm still all buzzy inside, I want more!!!:clap:

...PPS - All visitors to "sunnyish" Devon welcome
:yeah: more than welcome...greatly longed for!!!

Franck
25th-October-2005, 03:03 PM
Wow! and Thank you!

The above sums up my feelings towards the week-end.

I felt very lucky, humbled and privileged by everyone who attended, so thank you for your kind words, enthusiasm, passion and the many dances.
Once I had got over the initial stress and rushing around making sure everything was running smoothly, I was able to enjoy every minute of the event. Every dance, every class I taught, every class I attended (and the many more I wished I could have joined in). The tea-dances, the socializing, the music, in all the rooms.
I have never been so proud of my team (teachers, DJs, managers), all the dancers from Scotland and all the lovely forumites and visitors.

I wish I had the time and energy to list all the highlights but I would be bound to forget some... :clap:

I have taken on board some of the comments and have decided to improve the format for the BFG 2006!

First of all, the biggest complaint was the weather, it rained! So next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May. This is the best time to visit Scotland, and while I can't guarantee good weather, I'm confident Scotland will be at its most beautiful and sunny!

I will make small changes to the timetable to include a clearer lunch break and if anyone has any other suggestions / improvements, post them here or drop me a PM / email.

The BFG is just an event, and I'm glad everything went smoothly, but what truly made it work, was the variety and friendliness of people who attended. :hug:

Gojive
25th-October-2005, 03:14 PM
next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May.

Oooh, back to back with Camber :eek:

Minnie M
25th-October-2005, 03:15 PM
........next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The weekend after Franco's Camber ..... gosh going to be a busy fortnight:yeah:

Extra Note:
Thank you to all my Minnie Mouse 'look-a-likes' you did me proud, I looked pretty, very sexy and even the Minnie in the very pretty pink outfit looked fantastic :whistle:

clevedonboy
25th-October-2005, 04:59 PM
I will make small changes to the timetable to include a clearer lunch break and if anyone has any other suggestions / improvements, post them here or drop me a PM / email.

How about a drinky bash before the first dance for "outsider" forumites to know a few more "locals" in advance - I still hardly know anyone even though I went to dances and workshops

Apart from that I can't think of anything else I'd change - even the weather :cheers:

Franck
25th-October-2005, 05:04 PM
How about a drinky bash before the first dance for "outsider" forumites to know a few more "locals" in advance - I still hardly know anyone even though I went to dances and workshopsOooh, good point, and thanks for reminding me. We'll definitely have a 'Meet the Forumites' session, with drinks and badges! :D

clevedonboy
25th-October-2005, 05:05 PM
Oooh, good point, and thanks for reminding me. We'll definitely have a 'Meet the Forumites' session, with drinks and badges! :D
Badges with Avatars competition!

Lory
25th-October-2005, 06:08 PM
OK Folks, I've got a bunch of pics to upload, mainly of the Award and Avatar Ceremony!

Who wants to see them? :wink:

Missy D
25th-October-2005, 06:21 PM
OK Folks, I've got a bunch of pics to upload, mainly of the Award and Avatar Ceremony!

Me! Me! Me!:clap:

dee
25th-October-2005, 06:23 PM
And me!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-October-2005, 06:32 PM
Me! Me! Me!:clap:
And me!!!!!! :clap:The twins and I, so far, then.

Little Monkey
25th-October-2005, 06:32 PM

Me, me, me, me!!!!!!!!

Any of donkey? Ice-cream? Chicklet?

Lory
25th-October-2005, 06:33 PM
Me! Me! Me!:clap:OK then :rolleyes: :wink:

Minnie M
25th-October-2005, 06:34 PM
Spent so much time putting false eyelashes on I missed it (sorry NG) so me too - photos please :flower:

Lory
25th-October-2005, 06:37 PM
Any of donkey? Ice-cream? Chicklet?More :)

Lory
25th-October-2005, 06:40 PM
And more

Lory
25th-October-2005, 06:45 PM
More;)

Funky Si
25th-October-2005, 07:24 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for a wicked time!!!! My legs and head hurts (both for different reasons) and I don't think the Uni staff appreciated me continuing my set AFTER the firealarm, but hey, what can I say- I have a duty to all the fab people I met (and put faces with avatars to).

Hope to come up again soon!!

.....and to make it even better, I found out today that the biggest selling region in the UK for my track was.... Scotland. You lot not telling me something??:wink:

Funky Si

Night Owl
25th-October-2005, 08:03 PM
Wow! and Thank you!

the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May 2006

Book me in
Can I pay now Franck?

Tiggerbabe
25th-October-2005, 08:48 PM
*PHEW* What a weekend :D :D :D

Not a lot I can add to what's already been said - but I've never been one to resist a challenge :wink:

Huge thanks to The King for making it all possible (and also for letting me loose in the Latin Room :hug: ).

To all of the lovely forumites I met and danced with over the weekend, it was a real pleasure and just great fun from start to finish.

Thanks to DS, too, for leaving the Toblerones on the tables outside the Blues Room - I know technically I shouldn't have had any but :drool: :drool:

There were many, many great and good moments over the 3 days but one of my lasting memories of the BFG 2005 will be the look of sheer delight on AnimalTalk's face every time I saw him, he was just having such a blast!

Dance-wise -
Mr Lory on Friday night to "All That Jazz" :rofl:
leading Lily B - wow!
being led by a seated David B in the hotel afterwards - and the chairial :whistle:
dancing with Franck to Funky Si's new toon :clap:
Havana with Luca
Safronia B with Alex
finally catching up with both Baldrick and Pretzelmeister
David (Jammy's brother) in the Latin room on Saturday
CJ - while he was still figuring out how to play with all his new toys :wink:
Iain C from Inverness and his favourite move from Marc's class.
the last dance on Sunday night with my mysterious unknown gentleman.

(yeah, I know it's dangerous to list only some of the dances but these are the ones making me smile right now :flower: )

It was just fab to see so many people having a great time.

I'd like to add a special thankyou to the staff in the Uni, who were brill and who managed to have the floor slippy enough for me to be able to keep dancing in my Lisa-type furry boots :worthy:

And finally - FRASER - who was on the door all weekend - and I mean ALL weekend.........what a star!

Thanks for the photos your majesty Lory - anymore? Anyone?

Here's to 2006 :cheers:

LMC
25th-October-2005, 09:26 PM
And finally - FRASER - who was on the door all weekend - and I mean ALL weekend.........what a star!
:yeah: - he was fab :worthy: - always calm and smiling. I forgot to ask his name :blush: - but he told me he was intending on taking up dancing - another man :clap: :clap: :clap:

So maybe get another chap on the door in 2006 and we can convert him too? :devil:

animaltalk
25th-October-2005, 10:14 PM
AnimalTalk's face every time I saw him, he was just having such a blast!
. . . .

Big smile due to superb ladies, great floor and fantastic tunes. Had wonderful weekend.

Loved you being let loose in the Latin room. - 3 of my top 4 DJs all at the same weekend - very lucky. :worthy:

Hope you're recovering. I'm failing to get an early night because my body clock is up the spout.

Sorry for lack of dances with you :( - Very poor show - grovelling apologies
:flower:

Lory
25th-October-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the photos your majesty Lory
Your welcome:)

The highlights of my weekend were...

Meeting and dancing with a whole bunch of of completely new faces, some of which were a complete revelation to me, not cos they were technically perfect or did the most amazing moves or anything like that, just cos they were up for a laugh, very friendly and had the kind of attitude that I love...

I slipped, wobbled, cocked up, backlead and generally made a pigs ears of things :blush: but the whole time I was greeted with nothing but warm, friendly and heart felt belly laughs.:clap:

I went out of my way to ask the guys I never met before or rarely danced with and it paid off big time:cheers:

Thank you to everyone who danced with me, I can genuinely say, I really didn't have a bad dance all weekend and you all made me feel very special!

Second highlight was the wonderful Scottish countryside, yet again it won me over...
this time (with a little help from DD :worthy: ) we travelled up the west coast, then cut across to the tip of Lock Lomond and back down the west side of said lock... the scenery was breathtaking :drool:

Then on Sunday, we took the B roads to Stirling castle (unfortunately the weather was against us this time :rolleyes: ) but it was lovely just the same.:nice:

3rd Highlight was back at the hotel, sitting chatting socially with everyone.. your not a bad bunch really :whistle:

Here's a pic I'm rather fond of, of a scene which I passed on the way to the venue each day! :D

LilyB
25th-October-2005, 10:34 PM
I have been following this thread ever since we got back, been meaning to post but waaaaaaaaaay too tired. Having to go back to work (early!:what: ) on Monday morning did not help:tears: .

Seeing as by the time I've got round to posting, everything that needed saying has already been said, I think I'll just thank the great man himself - the Forum King - his No.2, the Tiggerbabe, and all his hard-working crew for putting on such a first-class event:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: . It was incredibly well-organised - everything ran to schedule, workshops were well-signposted & well-equipped, there was free water and free tea, coffee & cakes galore at the tea-dances, choccies & choccy biccies in the evenings, and amazingly cheap bars (DavidB appreciated that:cheers: ). The venue was just the perfect size for the numbers there, and it was great having everything happening in one building:clap: :clap: :clap: .

For me, however, it was the people who attended this event that really made it special for me. The local crowd made all us visitors feel so welcome. It was so good to see so many of our Scottish friends again and to meet so many new ones. It was also a great opportunity to get to know several 'southerner' Forumites whom we would not otherwise have met. The fact that we had so many friends staying at the same hotel was the icing on the cake:waycool: . I cannot remember when I last had so much fun at a weekend event. This includes not only all the fabulous fantastic dances I had (:drool: ) but also the chill-out socialising time throughout the days and evenings:flower: :flower: :flower: .

Here's looking forward to our next visit up north.

LilyB

DavidY
25th-October-2005, 10:46 PM
So next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May.:clap:

Will it be in Glasgow again?

Tiggerbabe
25th-October-2005, 10:48 PM
cut across to the tip of Lock Lomond and back down the west side of said lock... the scenery was breathtaking :drool:
pssst - your majestyness .............[scottish pedant mode on] it's a LOCH......[/and off] :whistle: :innocent:

Lory
25th-October-2005, 10:54 PM
pssst - your majestyness .............[scottish pedant mode on] it's a LOCH......[/and off] :whistle: :innocent:
Erm :yeah: :blush:

Thank you Miss Helpful :D :wink:

Tiggerbabe
25th-October-2005, 10:57 PM
:clap:

Will it be in Glasgow again?
Yes, same place - just better weather :wink:

Tiggerbabe
25th-October-2005, 10:59 PM
Miss Helpful :D :wink:
Tee hee hee!

What do you say we sort out the Angus/Argyll again Lory? It's just in the perfect spot innit?

Lory
25th-October-2005, 11:03 PM
Tee hee hee!

What do you say we sort out the Angus/Argyll again Lory? It's just in the perfect spot innit?
:yeah: Good idea! :grin:

The breakfast was particularly :drool:

DavidY
25th-October-2005, 11:17 PM
Tee hee hee!

What do you say we sort out the Angus/Argyll again Lory? It's just in the perfect spot innit?They did seem to get full very quickly though - couldn't get a room when I tried to book.:tears:

(I stayed in the nearby Devoncove which was OK as a hotel but only a few other dancers were staying there & noone in the bar at 1am.)

Mary
25th-October-2005, 11:19 PM
Book me in, and this time I want to stay Sunday night as well.

Have to reiterate what others have said re organisation etc. spot on chaps. Ditto the lunch break idea, and double ditto the welcome/spot who's who drinks on the Friday evening - makes it more of a party and gets people into the swing of the weekend (no dance pun intented, but if you insist).

Franck and Sheena you is tops. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: but Franck - only one dance, and Sheena - not enough space :wink:

But May isn't that far away........................

M

ducasi
25th-October-2005, 11:51 PM
What do you say we sort out the Angus/Argyll again Lory? It's just in the perfect spot innit? Even though I live 10 minutes from the GUU, I'm going to have to get a room in the hotel next time to make sure I don't miss out on half of the fun!

ducasi
26th-October-2005, 12:00 AM
I've just posted a coda to my thoughts (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/10/25/bfg-coda/) on the BFG on my blog...

And there's now a handy bit on the side-bar to navigate to other recent posts. :nice:

Lin
26th-October-2005, 12:53 AM
Well Hello all you lovely people,:)
Alex and I must have been the last of the crowd from the BFG to get back home.
We actually arrived home 3am Tuesday morning,after a looooooooooong wait in Glasgow
Airport.with a 4hr delay. :sick: We were absolutely shattered, today has been just a bluuuuur.
I know we should be in bed now,and that is where we are heading as soon as I have posted this.
Just have to add our complimentry comments to our most gracious Host and his accomplices,:what:
I mean helpers! We had an absolutely FAB time,cant find a single fault.:whistle: No really we had a
really great time and we are looking forward to the next one,which I beleive is in May next year!

Thanks again :clap: :clap: :clap:

Regards Lin and Alex :) :) :) :)

Icey
26th-October-2005, 08:08 AM
Here's a pic I'm rather fond of, of a scene which I passed on the way to the venue each day! :D

You could tell we were in studentland! :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2005, 08:19 AM
Sheena - not enough space :wink:

You're right - I shall be working on the table situation for May :wink:

Little Monkey
26th-October-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the photos, Lory!

I looked like a rather squashed ice-cream by then, probably due to all the rib-crushing hugs I received, and also due to having to bend completely double to do under-arm turns while dancing with the ass!:D :rofl:

Next year I shall have to make it for the entire weekend, not just the Saturday night party....

Dizzy
26th-October-2005, 11:31 AM
Lots of Photos

:clap: :clap:

Yay for Lory and her photos of the weekend!!! :clap: :flower:

I really like my photo too!! :hug:

Ickle Chick'n
26th-October-2005, 12:29 PM
next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May.
ow, I like the idea of better weather but that's the wrong end of the year cos there's camber and southport etc and I'll be very poor so scared I won't be able to afford flights!!!:tears: had such a great time this time so don't wanna miss it, must make more effort to win lottery!!!:rolleyes:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 03:53 PM
I looked like a rather squashed ice-cream by then, probably due to all the rib-crushing hugs I received,

Sorry, but you were the cutest, cuddliest ice-cream cone that I had ever seen and couldn't help but give you lots of hugs :innocent: The only thing about that is, that I don't actually know what your face looks like as I didn't see you after you changed :sad: Next time :D

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 04:23 PM
PICTURES!

I figured out how to resize my images! So I can now FINALLY start posting them! I really hope that they upload this time!

You'll need to give me a bit of time to get the rest as between resizing and posting it takes a while...the things I do for you people! :rolleyes:

Can you all please identify yourselves as I don't know everyones names yet, but I do know most of you.

Ash x

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 04:29 PM
Pictures 2.

doc martin
26th-October-2005, 04:33 PM
Can you all please identify yourselves as I don't know everyones names yet, but I do know most of you.
That's me in the first photo, with the bright shirt and my arm round Trampy (except he was too knackered to move into position). Behind me is my wife, a lurker by the forum name of Giddy Giraffe.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 04:55 PM
Pictures 3. This is taking very long :( I've tried uploading some of these pictures 3 times already!!! :tears:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 04:59 PM
Pictures 4! It's not taking as long to upload them now :D

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 05:03 PM
Pictures 5.

killingtime
26th-October-2005, 05:07 PM
Pictures 3. This is taking very long :( I've tried uploading some of these pictures 3 times already!!! :tears:

Sorry I'm looking away! I was obviously just checking the dance floor ready to spin you out over there :blush:. Gah! I'll have to get a more attentive picture with you in the future :D.

I was going to save my 500 post for something special. That special post was to say sorry :flower:.

Love a lot of the pictures though. Yeay :clap:!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 05:08 PM
Pictures 6

Minnie M
26th-October-2005, 05:12 PM
:yeah: :flower: :cheers: :clap: You should have named your photos with names - not sure who half these lovely people are :tears:

Great photos Ash :clap: :clap: don't remember you taking them :rolleyes:

I've just had a second look and can identify nearly all :clap:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 05:14 PM
Pictures 7! :clap: :really:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 05:15 PM
You should have named your photos with names - not sure who half these lovely people are :tears:

Neither do I :blush: I don't think some of them are on the forum either...but I can't help myself I love taking photos of people :grin:

LMC
26th-October-2005, 05:18 PM
You should have named your photos with names - not sure who half these lovely people are :tears:
I was working on it as you posted :D - can't fill in all of the gaps...

Photos 1: doc martin, mrs doc martin (standing), don't know

Lynn & drathzel

Ian - don't know if he's on here

Jazz_Shoes (Ash) & Tiggerbabe

Photos 2: Don't know

Gadget

DavidY and Jazz_Shoes (Ash)

Iain from Inverness (forget exact forum name but it's something similar to that)

Photos 3: Think we all know Tiggerbabe and Franck :na:

Don't know

Jazz & don't know

Jazz & killingtime

don't know

Photos 4: don't know

Ickle Chicken? (not sure), Jazz and Icey

saxylady and clevedonboy (I think)

Lisa (?), Fran and BTC Bill

Dizzy and Jason (?)

Photos 5: Bryony and David Franklin

Minnie M, Jazz and Lory

don't know, drathzel

don't know

Mary, Jazz and Tony

Photos 6: Jazz and Emma S?

Northants Girly and Matt

don't know rest

EDIT: oops, just seen your comment on second viewing Minnie, sorry - sure you can fill in some of my gaps :flower:

killingtime
26th-October-2005, 05:33 PM

Don't know

Jazz & don't know

Jazz & killingtime

don't know

Piglet is in the last one; not sure who the guy is.

Photos 4: don't know

Dance Demon.

Minnie M, Jazz and Lory

don't know, drathzel

don't know

Mary, Jazz and Tony

Third is Claire S and Drathzel.

Fourth is Azende and Mairi(sp?)

Northants Girly and Matt

don't know rest

I do most of these; but my strange paranoia about giving out names of people that I don't know how they feel about being named on the internet has kicked in. They might find them if we do.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 05:36 PM
Ok, this is the last of them I think. There was a bit of dispute about which one of the last two pictures is better, as Ducasi wasn't happy with picture 1, and NG not happy with picture 2 :rolleyes: You can all decide which one you like better :D

I should hope that you all like them, seeing as it has taken me an hour to resize and post all of them, lol, I must be mad!...but I don't complain, as long as you are all happy with the end result :D

What I will say about the weekend is that it has shown me that I must post more...not everyone knew who I was! :whistle: :rofl: lol

Ash x :hug:

Ash and Lynn, Jammy, Ash, Ducasi and NG

Little Monkey
26th-October-2005, 05:44 PM
Sorry, but you were the cutest, cuddliest ice-cream cone that I had ever seen and couldn't help but give you lots of hugs :innocent: The only thing about that is, that I don't actually know what your face looks like as I didn't see you after you changed :sad: Next time :D

Aaaawwww, thanks!

There should be some photos of me on some of the threads, like 'yukky photos of oneself', but they might scare you.... Hang on, how about this one of me dancing with BTC Bill?

Minnie M
26th-October-2005, 05:46 PM
The chap with the 'other' Minnie in the spotted skirt and red top is Clevelandboy - I do know many of the others but can't remember which photo number they are on and too lazy to sort them out :blush:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh yes, there you are LM! I don't remember seeing you about mind, but there were alot of faces...perhaps you were hiding from me? lol!

P.s. Nice shirt Bill :cool:

killingtime
26th-October-2005, 05:57 PM
I should hope that you all like them, seeing as it has taken me an hour to resize and post all of them, lol, I must be mad!...but I don't complain, as long as you are all happy with the end result :D

What did you use to resize them?

Northants Girly dressed up as my avatar; I'm still so happy about that :D :D :D. I can certainly say she looks a hell of a lot better :drool: than I would ever look dressed up as my avatar.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 06:02 PM
I just used the HP image zone software that I got with my camera, I would have posted them earlier but I only realised how to resize them when I was trying to get it working today.

ducasi
26th-October-2005, 06:03 PM
Ok, this is the last of them I think. There was a bit of dispute about which one of the last two pictures is better, as Ducasi wasn't happy with picture 1, and NG not happy with picture 2 :rolleyes: You can all decide which one you like better :D I don't like either of them! :sad:

NG looks great in both though. :flower:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
26th-October-2005, 06:04 PM
Oooh just noticed that I duplicately posted DanceDemon, oops.

Night Owl
26th-October-2005, 06:54 PM
Ash

just seen me staring back at me

Not a pretty sight

Lol

the rest are great pics

killingtime
26th-October-2005, 07:02 PM
I just used the HP image zone software that I got with my camera, I would have posted them earlier but I only realised how to resize them when I was trying to get it working today.

Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/index.html) isn't too bad and it's free. It can do on bulk resizing though not to a particular size but if you choose something like 480px JPEG then they should all be small enough. Sorry I didn't tell you about this before you resized them all.

Minnie M
26th-October-2005, 07:12 PM
What did you use to resize them?

Northants Girly dressed up as my avatar; I'm still so happy about that :D :D :D. I can certainly say she looks a hell of a lot better :drool: than I would ever look dressed up as my avatar.

But wot about King :worthy: & Queen :worthy: Minnie Mouse :whistle: aint I a proud mousie :D :yeah: :flower: :cheers: :clap:

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2005, 07:22 PM
I was working on it as you posted :D - can't fill in all of the gaps...

Photos 1: doc martin, mrs doc martin (standing),

don't know - CAROL FROM ABERDEEN

Lynn & drathzel

Ian - don't know if he's on here

Jazz_Shoes (Ash) & Tiggerbabe

Photos 2:

Don't know - DANCE DEMON - AKA JOHN PORTERFIELD

Gadget

DavidY and Jazz_Shoes (Ash)

Iain from Inverness (forget exact forum name but it's something similar to that)

Don't know - JIM FROM GLASGOW, THE LADY ALSO COMES FROM GLASGOW BUT I'VE FORGOTTEN HER NAME :blush:

Jazz & don't know - BALDRICK

Jazz & killingtime

don't know - PIGLET AND DAVID GUNN

Photos 4: don't know - DANCE DEMON AGAIN :D

Ickle Chicken? (not sure), Jazz and Icey

saxylady and clevedonboy (I think)

Lisa (?), Fran and BTC Bill - NOPE THAT'S VONNEY

Dizzy and Jason (?)

Minnie M, Jazz and Lory

don't know, drathzel - CLAIRE S

don't know AZANDE AND MAIRI

Mary, Jazz and Tony

Northants Girly and Matt

don't know rest - LINDA (WHISTLER I THINK) AND DON'T KNOW :wink:

SASSY 1 AND ANDREW

LINDA, DON'T KNOW, PRETZELMEISTER, JOANNE AND SASSY 1

I've put the one's I know in capitals, sorry for those I can't name :hug:

Claire S
26th-October-2005, 08:22 PM
I've put the one's I know in capitals, sorry for those I can't name :hug:That's Edna

Photos 7:

Drathzel, Lainey & David (FXS N.Q)
Sheppy
Neil from Edinburgh (don't know if he's on the forum)
Little Monkey, Ceroc Jock & Dreadful Scathe

Lynn
26th-October-2005, 08:45 PM
Great photos Ash! :clap: (except for a couple of them... :blush: )

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2005, 09:38 PM
Just sorted the hotel for 2006! If any of you want to get your act together now, they still have plenty of rooms ('cept you can't get the one with the huge bath, coz I just booked it :na: )
Phone number is 0141 337 3313.

The Argyll is the slightly posher one (where you have breakfast and the after party parties) and the Angus is the sister hotel just across the street.

Go phone them, you know you want to :wink: :D

Dizzy
26th-October-2005, 11:53 PM
Ok, this is the last of them I think. There was a bit of dispute about which one of the last two pictures is better, as Ducasi wasn't happy with picture 1, and NG not happy with picture 2 :rolleyes: You can all decide which one you like better :D

What I will say about the weekend is that it has shown me that I must post more...not everyone knew who I was! :whistle: :rofl: lol

Ash x :hug:

Ash and Lynn, Jammy, Ash, Ducasi and NG

I love them both, Thanks for all the photos Ash. :clap: :hug:

under par
27th-October-2005, 04:53 AM
Great photos!!:clap: :yeah:

I will really try to get up next year ...you all appear to have had a great time.

If it hadn't been our daughters birthday 21st Oct and if we hadn't promised to babysit her little boy on the Saturday .....then Mrs Par and I might just have got to Glasgow.

Roll on 2006.

Please see new thread re all the Scottish events next year I would like the details early so I can try book some them up.:yeah:

Icey
27th-October-2005, 08:24 AM
Just sorted the hotel for 2006! If any of you want to get your act together now, they still have plenty of rooms ('cept you can't get the one with the huge bath, coz I just booked it :na: )

The Argyll is the slightly posher one (where you have breakfast and the after party parties) and the Angus is the sister hotel just across the street.

Can we get a super special deal like we did this time? £25 pppn?
I'm making sure I book a room with a bath tub this time. I think we got given the smallest, darkest room possible that only had a shower :angry:

Night Owl
27th-October-2005, 06:56 PM

Cheers Sheena:hug:

well hated it so much for my first time out in the big world:rofl:

that I`ve booked hotel for May already:yeah:

Icey
28th-October-2005, 09:39 AM
Boys and Girls,

We might already have a problem with the Angus & Argyll hotels as apprently there is a conference on that weekend and the only rooms they have left are singles or family rooms.

Alternatively there is the Devoncove Hotel that is 30 seconds walk away and has twins and doubles available. £60 per room, per night with a buffet breakfast (cooked and continental).

Hope this helps
Icey

Icey
28th-October-2005, 10:31 AM
Just to be clear this potential accommodation problem is for the May 2006 BFG.

David Franklin
28th-October-2005, 11:40 AM
Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/index.html) isn't too bad and it's free. It can do on bulk resizing though not to a particular size but if you choose something like 480px JPEG then they should all be small enough. Sorry I didn't tell you about this before you resized them all.Or if you're on XP, you can download Image Resizer (http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe) free from the Microsoft PowerToys (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) page, which gives you resizing as an extra right click option in Explorer. Not a lot of options, but very convenient.

jammy
29th-October-2005, 12:21 AM
oh god its friday and this is me just postin on this. i must be really busy. well i just want 2 say i had the most amazin time im not gonna list every1 who i had a lovey dance with be cauz the were all fantastic and u all know who u r:wink: .

i want 2 say well done frank and tiggerbabe wot a fantastic weekend:clap: . and a big thankz 2 em for askin me 2 demo for her:worthy: funky jive class i had the time of my life doing that class even know i had 2 learn it on the friday night in about an hour and every1 was lookin like they were havin fun.

the cakes and that for the tea dance where amazin fraser must have an amazin sweet tooth wot a slection.

i didnt do that many classes but wot i managed 2 do were brill.

im also glad lara came up kept pusshin her 2 come up.

will see u all there again next year

ps the scobby costume was REALLY hot inside but fun 2 dance in
jammy

Cruella
29th-October-2005, 09:47 AM
ps the scobby costume was REALLY hot inside but fun 2 dance in
jammy
And you looked so cute and cuddly in it. Sorry i bailed on the doubles lesson but i was having my best dances of the weekend at the Tdance so needed to get back for more.:flower:

jammy
29th-October-2005, 01:09 PM
And you looked so cute and cuddly in it. Sorry i bailed on the doubles lesson but i was having my best dances of the weekend at the Tdance so needed to get back for more.:flower:

its kool thankz for helpin out anyway i cant force u 2 do anything u dont want 2 do. u just wanted 2 go bak down for cakes didnt u? :eek:

Tiggerbabe
29th-October-2005, 07:42 PM
Alternatively there is the Devoncove Hotel that is 30 seconds walk away and has twins and doubles available. £60 per room, per night with a buffet breakfast (cooked and continental).

Hope this helps
Icey
There's also the Townhouse, which is only 2 minutes further on and does a lovely cooked breakfast. Would imagine they are similar prices. Phone number is 0141 332 9009.

Night Owl
29th-October-2005, 08:31 PM
I stayed at the Town house this year its a good hotel,nice clean comfortable rooms and as Tiggerbabe says a great breakfast.Staff were very friendly and helpfull
I had a single room cost £40 a night

Night Owl
29th-October-2005, 09:02 PM
NIGHT OWL :yeah:

Formally known as

IainC.Inv:cheers:

David Bailey
29th-October-2005, 09:49 PM
NIGHT OWL :yeah:

Formally known as

IainC.Inv:cheers:
You're a brave man.

Hmmm, I wonder if I should change my label... :innocent:

Night Owl
29th-October-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks David:clap:

well better suits my character :blush:

was also my CB handle oh so many moons ago:yeah:

Night Owl
30th-October-2005, 11:47 AM
To all of the lovely forumites I met and danced with over the weekend, it was a real pleasure and just great fun from start to finish.

Dance-wise -
Iain C from Inverness and his favourite move from Marc's class.

Why thank you Tiggerbabe:worthy: was a pleasure dancing with your self and all the other Lovely ladies

And thank you Marc for that move i love it:clap:

Shame I can`t remember the rest of the routine,but didn`t feel so bad when Marc :worthy: couldn`t remember it either:rofl:

Purple Sparkler
1st-November-2005, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear you lot had a good time at the weekend- I would have loved to have gone, but prior engagements- I COULD have missed the wedding I was going to but a) it was two of my best friends, and b) I wanted to bask in 'so you made the cake?' glory (not that I got to, my replacement in my last job was there and had already told everyone about it which really irritated me, but hey, I got to see my friends get all married).

And thanks for the award! I'm so proud.

Petal
1st-November-2005, 03:15 PM
I have taken on board some of the comments and have decided to improve the format for the BFG 2006!

First of all, the biggest complaint was the weather, it rained!

Even you don't have the power to change that!::whistle:

So next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May. This is the best time to visit Scotland, and while I can't guarantee good weather, I'm confident Scotland will be at its most beautiful and sunny!

Or snowing, as it has in the past!:really:

Icey
4th-November-2005, 09:06 AM
Is it too late to get my name down for a CD of the BFG? I missed the chance while I there ... too busy dancing :blush:

Pretty please with a cherry on top can I put my name down. I'll pay today, even right now by Paypal if I need to. Beg, beg, plead, plead!

Minnie M
4th-November-2005, 09:20 AM
Separated at birth (my twin sister)

Cruella
4th-November-2005, 09:25 AM
Separated at birth (my twin sister)
Aaah, Franck so pretty in pink :whistle:

Northants Girly
29th-November-2005, 05:26 PM
Better late than never (says Gary - I could have forgotten about this pic quite easily . . . . . :whistle: )

killingtime
30th-November-2005, 11:59 AM
Better late than never (says Gary - I could have forgotten about this pic quite easily . . . . . :whistle: )

I think you look fantastic in both of them :flower:. I didn't like that one because I'm grinning like a loon.

I preferred this one (which I still look a bit insane in):

http://static.flickr.com/34/68371005_7040af19b7_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/killingtime/68371005/in/photostream/)

Memo to self. Don't grin like crazy in photos.

When I get to writing up the BFG I'm going to put that in :whistle:.

Dreadful Scathe
30th-November-2005, 01:13 PM
I think you look fantastic in both of them :flower:. I didn't like that one because I'm grinning like a loon.

Grinning like a loon? I just assumed you both came as each others avatars :confused: :)

Northants Girly
30th-November-2005, 01:17 PM
Grinning like a loon? I just assumed you both came as each others avatars :confused: :)I don't know what you mean :eek:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-December-2005, 12:47 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

killingtime
1st-December-2005, 01:18 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Icey
1st-December-2005, 03:18 PM
Speaking of BFG themes ... what is the theme for the next one in May? Anyone have any ideas yet?

Piglet
1st-December-2005, 04:10 PM
Speaking of BFG themes ... what is the theme for the next one in May? Anyone have any ideas yet?

Why don't we do a fancy dress - dress as someone you fancy :D

Chicklet
It's "Grease".
All girls in sticky out skirts or spray on trousers.
Boys in quiffs

Piglet
It's "Grease".
All girls in sticky out skirts or spray on trousers.
Boys in quiffs

When was this decided? Have I missed something?

TheTramp
1st-December-2005, 04:13 PM
Personally, I think that for the girls, it should be a 'dress as Chicklets avatar' party!!

(And thank you to Aleks who made such a brave attempt at it in October!).

Chicklet
1st-December-2005, 04:17 PM
When was this decided? Have I missed something?
there was a HUGE poll yesterday

Chicklet
1st-December-2005, 04:19 PM
Personally, I think that for the girls, it should be a 'dress as Chicklets avatar' party!!
(And thank you to Aleks who made such a brave attempt at it in October!).
Well seeing as Aleks and I had a damn fine go at getting in it together one afternoon :whistle: and failed miserably, I don't think all the girls are gonna fit, or were you thinking more of a progressive thing, turn about??

Icey
1st-December-2005, 05:33 PM

That had been my plan for the one just gone but I have lost so much weight that my lovely red basque that was hideously expensive just slides down now :blush: :tears: It's indecent :eek:

BTW Chicklet, can you direct us to the Grease poll thread?

Gadget
1st-December-2005, 08:10 PM
Well seeing as Aleks and I had a damn fine go at getting in it together one afternoon :whistle: and failed miserably, I don't think all the girls are gonna fit, or were you thinking more of a progressive thing, turn about??
I'm all for taking turns getting into a bask with you and Aleks :drool:

Piglet
1st-December-2005, 10:50 PM
Yep, me too - what's it's title?

killingtime
2nd-December-2005, 12:40 AM
Yep, me too - what's it's title?

I think she was making it up :D

Chicklet
2nd-December-2005, 01:24 AM

Unfortunately it was on one of Franck's new 24 hour threads that he can use to gather time sensitive info so I'm afraid it's not around any more, sorry :sad:

DavidY
2nd-December-2005, 01:53 AM
I think she was making it up :DThat's a shame - last time I went near an event with a Grease theme (one of the excellent Daventry freestyles earlier this year) I surprised myself by actually organising fancy dress, so it would have suited me to be able to reuse for the BFG.