PDA

View Full Version : My dance shoes need help

Icey
20th-October-2005, 04:16 PM
The suede soles of my rather expensive dance shoes have become compacted so that even when I brush them with a shoe brush the suede doesn't "rough" up very much.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can sort this out? It's murder on a fast dancefloor!

Thanks

DianaS
20th-October-2005, 04:19 PM
The suede soles of my rather expensive dance shoes have become compacted so that even when I brush them with a shoe brush the suede doesn't "rough" up very much.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can sort this out? It's murder on a fast dancefloor!

Thanks
SOmetimes its the polish on the floor that compacts the suede so uits like a second ice rink. I clean off the polish by steaming the suade over a boiling kettle. WHen the poish melts I scrape it off with a sharp knife and give it a good scrub.
If you've stuck the suade on you may find the glue melts as well but you can always have it stuck back on
Good luck
D

MartinHarper
20th-October-2005, 06:03 PM
Hmm, my suede brush is essentially a series of sharp stiff pins: I can't imagine it not being able to ruff the suede up. But then, I do use it with an element of manic serial killed.
If you're desperate, you could try very course sandpaper.

Gojive
20th-October-2005, 06:11 PM
SOmetimes its the polish on the floor that compacts the suede so uits like a second ice rink. I clean off the polish by steaming the suade over a boiling kettle. WHen the poish melts I scrape it off with a sharp knife and give it a good scrub.
If you've stuck the suade on you may find the glue melts as well but you can always have it stuck back on
Good luck
D

What an excellent tip D! Thanks! :flower:

DavidY
20th-October-2005, 06:15 PM
If you're desperate, you could try very coarse sandpaper.Some very specific sandpaper-related discussion (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21137#post21137) here..

ducasi
20th-October-2005, 06:36 PM
Some very specific sandpaper-related discussion (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21137#post21137) here..
What's this? :what: Someone HarperLinking for Martin Harper??? :really:

Ickle Chick'n
20th-October-2005, 08:18 PM

Thanks
I have that same problem but have learned double spins instead! LOL

My sister says if a floors very slippy with suede then you just have to dampen your soles with a little water, though I really couldn't tell you if that would work with compacted suede?!

If you find a good solution let us know!!!

Ballroom queen
20th-October-2005, 08:29 PM

Thanks

Years ago when I did ballroom first time round every so often I would make the suede soles slightly damp and then use the suede brush hard. Then allow them to dry, and brush again.
Important to try not to get suede soles wet when out as it tends to be sticky beer, lemonade, mud etc, but the above seemed to help. try not to do it too often though. I think the secret is to brush the soles frequently before they get that smooth....

Ickle Chick'n
20th-October-2005, 09:00 PM

Thanks
I have that same problem but have learned double spins instead! LOL

My sister says if a floors very slippy with suede then you just have to dampen your soles with a little water, though I really couldn't tell you if that would work with compacted suede?!

If you find a good solution let us know!!!

Anna
22nd-October-2005, 07:06 AM
I thought fast was good? :sick:

Originally Posted by Icey

Thanks

For goodness sake don't get them wet - when I go to the clubs on the weekend I always bring my shoebag .. I don't care if it looks dancegeeky, wet shoes mean a night of disappointing dancing.

But I thought fast was good? When I bought my latin shoes (suede soled) I purposely got them wet and dirty a few times to sufficiently compact and ruin the suede into a leather like substance :D .. do people really use suede soled shoes for ceroc out of preference? :eek:

Easter Bunny
23rd-October-2005, 03:59 PM
I thought fast was good? :sick:

But I thought fast was good? When I bought my latin shoes (suede soled) I purposely got them wet and dirty a few times to sufficiently compact and ruin the suede into a leather like substance :D .. do people really use suede soled shoes for ceroc out of preference? :eek:

:yeah:
Much prefer suede - gives you speed, but with more control somehow. I recently saw someone damping their soles with coke to make them less slippy / fast at Britrock - not sure what this effect had on other dancers using the floor though, might cause intermittent stick / fast areas on the floor and could ruin suede soles.

JonD
24th-October-2005, 08:22 AM
The uppers are beginning to peel away from the soles on a couple of pairs of my shoes. Can anyone recommend the right kind of glue to stick them back down? I'm not that keen on taking them to "Mr Minute" and the only old-fashioned cobbler in Exeter seems to have vanished!

MartinHarper
24th-October-2005, 11:44 AM
But I thought fast was good?

Ultra-fast shoes can make it harder to be a light, responsive follower.

Lynn
24th-October-2005, 04:35 PM
My shoes were getting very fast this weekend and the floors were fast too. So :hug: to Icey for lending me her shoe brush - much more effective than mine - and to Lory for brushing them. It helped.

When I bought my latin shoes (suede soled) I purposely got them wet and dirty a few times to sufficiently compact and ruin the suede into a leather like substance :D It was somewhat perplexing for the staff at the uni on Sat night as those who had managed to grab their street shoes when the fire alarm went off were quickly changing them before walking onto the wet road. For those who didn't hope your shoes recovered.:flower:

Jive Brummie
25th-October-2005, 01:20 PM
The uppers are beginning to peel away from the soles on a couple of pairs of my shoes. Can anyone recommend the right kind of glue to stick them back down? I'm not that keen on taking them to "Mr Minute" and the only old-fashioned cobbler in Exeter seems to have vanished!

I think this stuff is pretty strong, i've used it to stick on replacement soles for brogues when i worked in a kilt shop.

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/BST80211.html

Bostik also do a leather adhesive.

hth

Melanie

Lynn
30th-October-2005, 11:57 PM
I have a question about shoe brushes (for suade soles).

I went to the local dancewear shop to ask if they had any (I have one that someone kindly gave me but it wasn't being effective enough). I was told they didn't sell them but a regular shoe shop nearby did ones with a 'rubber brush'.

Thinking that perhaps she misunderstood (I was thinking why would a regular shoe shop that doesn't sell dance shoes stock suitable brushes? :confused: ) I again said it was for the soles of dance shoes and I wanted a wire one. She looked at me as if I was an idiot and said that was too strong on dance shoes and everyone now used the rubber 'brush'. I was made to feel rather stupid even for asking for a wire brush for suade soled dance shoes.

What do other people use? Anyone have the 'rubber brush' she was referring to and it is adequate?

Whitebeard
31st-October-2005, 12:51 AM
What do other people use? Anyone have the 'rubber brush' she was referring to and it is adequate?
I think you'll find that that is 'rubbish'. I have a pair of daps/pumps/trainers/tennis/deck/gym shoes bought from M&S. They're rather nice and the body is nubuck leather rather than the usual fabric. But they're a very light colour and are going to look dirty and shabby in no time at all. (Steer well clear of freshly cut lawns or they'll go very green.) From the local supermarket I bought a double sided brush and the rubber side was for nubuch leather. Pretty ineffective, even for this, I would say.

ducasi
31st-October-2005, 01:09 AM
My suede brush also has a rubber brush on the other side. It's meant to be good for cleaning dirt off uppers made of suede/nubuck (not stains though.) I wouldn't even think about using it on the soles of my shoes.

Lynn
31st-October-2005, 11:24 AM
My suede brush also has a rubber brush on the other side. It's meant to be good for cleaning dirt off uppers made of suede/nubuck (not stains though.)
I wouldn't even think about using it on the soles of my shoes.Well that would make sense given that she was recommending I purchase this from a shop that doesn't sell suede soled shoes but does sell shoes with suede and nubuck uppers. If she had misunderstood what I wanted it for (which was my initial thought) and then just said, 'Sorry we don't sell the other sort either' then fair enough.

But I did keep saying to the person in the dance wear shop that it was for the suede soles of dance shoes and she insisted that the rubber brush is what dancers use. They sell dance shoes so I was made to feel like the stupid one for even suggesting using anything else. :blush:

Trish
31st-October-2005, 11:55 AM
Well that would make sense given that she was recommending I purchase this from a shop that doesn't sell suede soled shoes but does sell shoes with suede and nubuck uppers. If she had misunderstood what I wanted it for (which was my initial thought) and then just said, 'Sorry we don't sell the other sort either' then fair enough.

But I did keep saying to the person in the dance wear shop that it was for the suede soles of dance shoes and she insisted that the rubber brush is what dancers use. They sell dance shoes so I was made to feel like the stupid one for even suggesting using anything else. :blush:

IMO A rubber brush isn't going to help with what you want it to do - but I guess someone who has never danced will have no idea what you're talking about. You're better off going to a DIY shop and buying a wire brush (they sell them for getting rust off cars or whatever). They are bigger than the old fashioned wire suede brushes but essentially do the same job - in fact they're probably better in some ways as the wires aren't as flexbile - although you wouldn't want to rub too hard with them - you might rub the soles off altogether I guess! I know several dancers who use these. Otherwise use sandpaper/glasspaper.

Personally I'm with Anna on this, and like my suede dance shoes like glass on the bottom! If the floor is too fast I will dampen the soles slightly with water which I find works for me (doesn't happen very often).

Icey
31st-October-2005, 02:12 PM
although you wouldn't want to rub too hard with them - you might rub the soles off altogether I guess! I know several dancers who use these. Otherwise use sandpaper/glasspaper.

I'm under the understanding that it's a fairly easy job to replace the suede soles of dance shoes. I bought mine from Heavenly Dance shoes and noticed when I got home that one shoe the lacing didn't match the other so I took them back. The guy there had them fixed inside 20 minutes and just told me not to dance in them for 2 hours while the glue dried. It would appear that he peeled back the soles and redid the lacing and then re-glued them.

:worthy: Heavenly dance shoes. I'm certainly of the opinion that the shoes are a really good investment and I desperately want to go and order another pair but I really can't justify it at the moment :sad:

Lynn
31st-October-2005, 03:56 PM
Heavenly dance shoes. I'm certainly of the opinion that the shoes are a really good investment and I desperately want to go and order another pair but I really can't justify it at the moment :sad:Oh you can always find a reason to justify buying new dance shoes. It might take some 'creative accounting' ('these are reduced so I'm actually saving £20 etc), or dance safety reasons ('I need a different pair for different floors'), fashion reasons ('I need something to match, er, black' - Ok that one doesn't work so well for me!). Or simply that its Christmas coming up soon and rather than family/friends buying you things you don't really need, you could ask them to buy/contribute towards a new pair of dance shoes. (That one also works for birthdays - so I've been able to use it twice in the past year!)

Or just go dance shoe shopping with Andy McGregor! :rofl: :whistle:

Icey
1st-November-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh you can always find a reason to justify buying new dance shoes. It might take some 'creative accounting' ('these are reduced so I'm actually saving £20 etc), or dance safety reasons ('I need a different pair for different floors'), fashion reasons ('I need something to match, er, black' - Ok that one doesn't work so well for me!). Or simply that its Christmas coming up soon and rather than family/friends buying you things you don't really need, you could ask them to buy/contribute towards a new pair of dance shoes. (That one also works for birthdays - so I've been able to use it twice in the past year!)

You would have thought that as a PQ accountant I could do that creative accounting thing ... but I can't. I wish that I could but I have to pay my mortgage. Strangely I can foresee the mortgage company getting a little irate if I decided to buy new dance shoes over paying them, so no new shoes for me :(

Lynn
1st-November-2005, 02:21 PM
You would have thought that as a PQ accountant I could do that creative accounting thing ... but I can't. I wish that I could but I have to pay my mortgage. Strangely I can foresee the mortgage company getting a little irate if I decided to buy new dance shoes over paying them, so no new shoes for me :(I know what you mean, I couldn't book for Scarborough as early as I would have liked and was really juggling the finances last week to make sure my mortgage didn't bounce! When it comes down to it, things like mortgage, food and heat do have to come before dancing. :tears: Just about.

dee
2nd-November-2005, 07:40 PM
Good luck
D

I gave up cleaning the suede on the bottom of my shoes ages ago, but thought i would give the kettle steaming a go, and the result... fantastic :clap: they are like new thanks for that great tip DianaS :hug:

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-November-2005, 03:18 PM
A few notes about leather care (I formerly owned a shoe shop so I have a little experience.)

Suede is leather that has been treated on a wheel to separate the fibres, sometimes from the inside face of the animal hide. Although different types of skin are thicker, thinner, finer, tougher according to the animal, which part of the skin etc, leather and suede are basically the same stuff. Nubuck is also leather where the shiny surface is sanded away on big industrial leather planing machines to give a fine suede-like surface.

So as far as I can see, once you've worn the top surface of the suede away, and you are into the middle of the material, there's no difference between a leather sole, a suede sole, or a nubuck sole (if anyone made such things.)

It follows then that the benefits of having a suede sole are greatest while the surface is still suede-y. Suede is best cared for with a stiff-ish wire brush. Even the delicate suedes on some of the high-heeled Italian bright pink suede courts I used to sell benefitted from a stiff brushing.

Suede stays cleaner (and is more water-resistant) if you use a rain-proofing spray of the kind of sold for suede shoes and clothes. The best way to clean suede and restore the velvety texture is by brushing hard while steaming over an open kettle while the water boils. It has a truly astonishing effect.

If you want to recover the suede-y feel of a worn pair of soles then rough sand-paper will give you some of the texture back. However, once you have worn away the very top surface of the suede by dancing on rough surfaces (or for too long on smooth surfaces) and you have worn into the thickness of the hide, the sole is no longer strictly suede. It's just leather.

Leather can be glued very successfully by most industrial solvent glues, the kind which unfortunately you can't get in small tubes any more because it's good for 'sniffing'. If you can find some of it (the old kind of UHU is about right) then it's easy to glue down the edges of soles if they start to peel. Coat both sides and allow the glue to dry (you can use a hairdryer to speed the process). Then press firmly together and the bond should be instant. Don't use cyanoacrylate adhesives (superglue) since they set hard, and then crack.

I hope that's helpful to someone.

ducasi
4th-November-2005, 12:36 AM
... a nubuck sole (if anyone made such things.) I think they do... at least, the shoes that I have, have soles with a "nubuck finish." :nice: