PDA

View Full Version : Ignore lists

El Salsero Gringo
19th-October-2005, 12:32 AM
Now I'm really curious (although feel free to point out that the poll results might be biased towards the low side)

Piglet
19th-October-2005, 12:46 AM
I soooooo wanted to choose the bottom option, but can't cos he's one of my fav forumites (that I don't really know apart from on the forum ;) )

azande
19th-October-2005, 08:06 AM
I used to have one person, but not anymore.

Cruella
19th-October-2005, 08:07 AM
I don't even know what an ignore list or buddy list does!:confused:

senorita
19th-October-2005, 08:32 AM

As far as I am aware ...the buddy list adds a cross sign near the name of your buddy/friend, so its more visible to you when they are on.
The ignore list I dont know as I havent used this..
:hug:

ducasi
19th-October-2005, 08:38 AM
As far as I am aware ...the buddy list adds a cross sign near the name of your buddy/friend, so its more visible to you when they are on. Add people to your buddy list then select "Open Buddy List" from the "Quick Links" menu... Hopefully its usefulness should be more obvious then. :nice:

senorita
19th-October-2005, 09:07 AM
Add people to your buddy list then select "Open Buddy List" from the "Quick Links" menu... Hopefully its usefulness should be more obvious then. :nice:

ah OIC :)
thankyou :hug: :worthy:

killingtime
19th-October-2005, 10:47 AM
Add people to your buddy list then select "Open Buddy List" from the "Quick Links" menu... Hopefully its usefulness should be more obvious then. :nice:

Apart from spamming my buddies (and I'm sure they'd love that) I'm still not quite sure why it is that handy.

jivecat
19th-October-2005, 12:11 PM
Wow, Ducasi, I cn't read your post 'cos I'm so mesmerised by your avatar! Look into my eyes.....

jivecat
19th-October-2005, 12:14 PM
Actually, it's like that dreadful moment when you close your eyes and realise you have had three glasses of red wine too many.

ducasi
19th-October-2005, 01:04 PM
Apart from spamming my buddies (and I'm sure they'd love that) I'm still not quite sure why it is that handy.
You can see them logging on and off...

ducasi
19th-October-2005, 01:08 PM
Wow, Ducasi, I cn't read your post 'cos I'm so mesmerised by your avatar! Look into my eyes.....
I plan to use this to hypnotise all the best dancers into thinking I'm worth dancing with... :wink:

killingtime
19th-October-2005, 01:16 PM
You can see them logging on and off...

Can I get an email as well so I can track their logging in and out habits?

]I plan to use this to hypnotise all the best dancers into thinking I'm worth dancing with...

I feel the sudden need to dance with you :eek:.

killingtime
19th-October-2005, 01:19 PM
I feel the sudden need to dance with you :eek:.

Hey! I can't edit this :confused:. Sorry I was going to say I mis-read that (obviously the swirling distracted me... ooh shiny) and it say's best dancers. So never mind :na:.

ducasi
19th-October-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey! I can't edit this :confused:. Sorry I was going to say I mis-read that (obviously the swirling distracted me... ooh shiny) and it say's best dancers. So never mind :na:.
You need to pay to edit... Franck "fixed" this oversight this morning... :wink:

Maybe Franck needs an avatar like mine to persuade you to part with your money???

ducasi
19th-October-2005, 02:03 PM
Can I get an email as well so I can track their logging in and out habits? It's nice sometimes to be able to see when someone drops by so you can PM them to say "Hi!"...

I don't normally have my buddy list window open though...

killingtime
19th-October-2005, 02:42 PM
You need to pay to edit... Franck "fixed" this oversight this morning... :wink:

Maybe Franck needs an avatar like mine to persuade you to part with your money???

Nah; I'm convinced. I've just got to remember that PayPal account thing. Though it would be good to get into the habit of actually reading my post before I hit that "Submit Reply" button :blush:.

Stuart
31st-October-2005, 06:34 PM
:yeah:

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey killingtime, I guess my hypnotic avatar really did make you want to dance with me, eh? But whatever happened to you becoming a full member?

Anyway, I am just posting this to say that I recently have felt tempted to add someone to my ignore list, but at the same time, I feel that it would be a petty action, plus fairly pointless when the posts I don't want to see are quite often replied to.

What do other people think?

LMC
29th-December-2005, 09:44 AM
I think you should tell us who - I mean, come on!

Of course, if you don't respond to this I shall know it was me :tears:

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 10:21 AM
I think you should tell us who - I mean, come on!
I won't name, or even hint. Don't want to go down that path.

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 10:24 AM
Anyway, I am just posting this to say that I recently have felt tempted to add someone to my ignore list, but at the same time, I feel that it would be a petty action, plus fairly pointless when the posts I don't want to see are quite often replied to.

What do other people think?
I think the "kill" functions (equivalent *plonk* on Usenet) on newsgroups are usually more trouble than they're worth for me, for the second reason you suggest - I'd spend more time wondering what the ignored person is saying than if I just, well, ignored their posts by not reading them.

In the same way that I pay more attention to posts from some people than others...

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 10:44 AM
I think the "kill" functions (equivalent *plonk* on Usenet) on newsgroups are usually more trouble than they're worth for me, for the second reason you suggest - I'd spend more time wondering what the ignored person is saying than if I just, well, ignored their posts by not reading them.Back in my days of heavy addiction to usenet, I had a fairly hefty kill file – of course the annoyance factor of the average plonker on usenet well exceeds anything we have here.

But yes, occasionally I'd have to go back and look at posts that I had "killed", though the improvement in the signal-to-noise ratio made it worth it in many newsgroups.

Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning because I woke up at 5 am. :sad:

killingtime
30th-January-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey killingtime, I guess my hypnotic avatar really did make you want to dance with me, eh? But whatever happened to you becoming a full member?

I don't know. Much time has passed and I still haven't. One day, perhaps. I still haven't sorted my PayPal account. I nearly did though :D.

Now that we can withdraw votes have people added more people to an ignore list? Have they removed someone from their ignore list (all is forgiven)?

Sheepman
30th-January-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't even know what an ignore list or buddy list does!:confused: Well, first you need some buddies...

:devil:

Greg

Cruella
30th-January-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, first you need some buddies...

Greg

:yum: That was posted a long time ago. I now know what the ignore list does and i'm not afraid to use it!

straycat
30th-January-2007, 06:26 PM
Someone posted something? :devil:

ducasi
30th-January-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't know. Much time has passed and I still haven't. One day, perhaps. I still haven't sorted my PayPal account. I nearly did though :D.You don't need a paypal account to pay with paypal you know...

Now that we can withdraw votes have people added more people to an ignore list? Have they removed someone from their ignore list (all is forgiven)?Since I became a moderator I've removed the two people I had on my ignore list, but I've been sorely tempted to add a few others recently....

Sheepman
30th-January-2007, 08:15 PM
:yum: That was posted a long time ago. I now know what the ignore list does and i'm not afraid to use it!
:rofl:
True, but I've only just seen it, perhaps I had you on my ignore list! :wink:

Greg

Jamie
1st-February-2007, 06:33 AM
Sorry {person} is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

OMG!! :what:

David Bailey
27th-March-2007, 10:40 AM
I've changed my mind since this:

I think the "kill" functions (equivalent *plonk* on Usenet) on newsgroups are usually more trouble than they're worth for me, for the second reason you suggest - I'd spend more time wondering what the ignored person is saying than if I just, well, ignored their posts by not reading them.

However, I find it annoying that it doesn't really work as I hoped it would - i.e. it still appears in New Posts, and new Threads for that matter.

I'd hope that it would work in the same way as the unsubscribe function does in the various areas of the forum (for example, I've unsubscribed from Happy Birthdays) - i.e. that it provides total invisibility. Alas, no.

Is there some clever way to tweak it to be a bit more useful?

Mezzosoprano
27th-March-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm Waaaaay too nosey and insecure to have an ignore list.... what if someone said something nice and I missed it... what if I got slagged off and I missed it... what if I missed a really funny post... what if DT got banned and I missed it....:wink:

Double Trouble
27th-March-2007, 08:59 PM
what if DT got banned and I missed it....:wink:

:sick: :sad: :tears: I'm hurt.

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm Waaaaay too nosey and insecure to have an ignore list.... what if someone said something nice and I missed it...
If someone's on your ignore list, I suspect they probably won't be saying nice things about you.

what if I got slagged off and I missed it...
Well, that's the point isn't it? I mostly live in blissful ignorance now that I don't see the content of the posts by the two people who're on my ignore list.

what if I missed a really funny post...
Do you read every post on the Forum then? :eek:

what if DT got banned and I missed it....:wink:
Don't worry, I'll put out an announcement :grin:

Rocky
28th-March-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, that's the point isn't it? I mostly live in blissful ignorance now that I don't see the content of the posts by the two people who're on my ignore list.

If only that were true... If you are saying that you ignore the posts by people on your ignore list why do you participate in the threads they create? Isn't that hypocritical?

SilverFox
28th-March-2007, 02:26 PM
If only that were true... If you are saying that you ignore the posts by people on your ignore list why do you participate in the threads they create? Isn't that hypocritical?He won't respond to you in a civilised way Rocky, he'll just delete your posts early in the morning claiming they are off topic or offensive. Such a delicate little flower.... bless. :hug:

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 02:36 PM
Hmmm - Franck, have you changed this now?

Franck
28th-March-2007, 03:19 PM
Hmmm - Franck, have you changed this now?Yes, following feedback on this thread, and actually taking the time to find out how to do it, the ignore function works properly and ignored users' posts do not show at all. New threads by ignored users are also hidden completely.

I hope this helps.

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 03:30 PM
Yes, following feedback on this thread, and actually taking the time to find out how to do it, the ignore function works properly and ignored users' posts do not show at all. New threads by ignored users are also hidden completely.

I hope this helps.
Excellent - yes, I think that's how it "should" work :clap:

Thanks.

LMC
28th-March-2007, 03:37 PM
Just to be a voice of dissent :na:

Clicking on "view post" is not that difficult really. Even the people who mostly annoy me say something worthwhile occasionally. Sorry Franck (after you've gone to all that effort) but I liked it the way it was.

Sometimes I want to read an "ignored" post - mainly 'cos I'm nosy, but also occasionally to check that my own contribution to a thread has a slim chance of making sense - or at least won't be repeating what someone else has said. Mainly on the dance-related threads.

Now I won't see these posts at all, the people on my ignore list might realise that I'm ignoring them. (SFX: Chicken noises ... I'll take them off I s'pose :rolleyes: )

EDIT: Afterthought. It will also lead to A quoting B just so C, who has B on ignore, will see the post. Of course, C could then ignore A. So we'll all end up ignoring everybody just in case someone annoys us. Which means we'll end up talking to ourselves ... hang on, I'm losing this one aren't I?

Mezzosoprano
28th-March-2007, 04:15 PM
:sick: :sad: :tears: I'm hurt.

I missed it the last time and couldn't work out where you'd gone!!!!:hug:

Caro
28th-March-2007, 04:37 PM
Clicking on "view post" is not that difficult really. Even the people who mostly annoy me say something worthwhile occasionally. Sorry Franck (after you've gone to all that effort) but I liked it the way it was.

Sometimes I want to read an "ignored" post - mainly 'cos I'm nosy, but also occasionally to check that my own contribution to a thread has a slim chance of making sense - or at least won't be repeating what someone else has said. Mainly on the dance-related threads.

:yeah: basically I agree entirely to what LMC just said, and for the very same reasons it will probably lead me to remove the people that are currently on my ignore list... i.e. making ignore lists useless AFAIC.

Do we need a poll to see what the users would prefer ? :whistle:

straycat
28th-March-2007, 04:50 PM
Maybe we could have two levels of ignore list then? :devil:

Level one for people that we kind of want to ignore, but we also want the 'View Post' option on because we just. can't. leave. it. alone.....

And level two for people we genuinely wish didn't exist. (eg Get a Grip. Who, thankfully, doesn't seem to exist anymore. Spooky)

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 04:52 PM
:yeah: basically I agree entirely to what LMC just said, and for the very same reasons it will probably lead me to remove the people that are currently on my ignore list... i.e. making ignore lists useless AFAIC.
On Usenet, kill-files are exactly that - so I'd recommend that we follow that practice, rather than the "sort-of kill-file" we had previously.

If you think someone may post something of value which you may miss, then don't put them on your ignore list - simple, really.

LMC
28th-March-2007, 05:02 PM
Usenet is different though. The vast majority of members are anonymous. For regular posters, that's not the case here. As we all know, forum rows have a nasty habit of carrying into real life - and vice versa. I don't want to end up having **** slung at me because I've ignored someone and they're offended. It could happen.

If someone annoys me 95% of the time, then I want to be able to ignore them - and have to make an effort to see their posts, rather than reading inadvertently. However, if I know that their posts on the dance-related threads *are* worth reading sometimes, then it would be nice to be able to acknowledge posts in that thread. At least then I have a choice whether to read that person's posts or not.

As it is, I feel that choice has been reduced, not improved.

Caro
28th-March-2007, 05:05 PM
On Usenet, kill-files are exactly that - so I'd recommend that we follow that practice, rather than the "sort-of kill-file" we had previously.

:confused: I have no idea what you're talking about DJ and why Usenet would qualify as a reference.

If you think someone may post something of value which you may miss, then don't put them on your ignore list - simple, really.

Well some people may post mainly rubbish which I'd like to ignore, but I'd like to think that from time to time they will post something even vaguely interesting (me, believing in people? :rolleyes: ), especially when it comes to the more serious threads (ok there aren't that many of them).
If only to make sure I'm not repeating what they said (not like it's likely to happen though :na: ).

So the view post option provided me with a useful and quick way of checking the content of the post, from time to time, on some threads. I miss it now, and I feel like putting people on my ignore list is a much bigger deal now, like saying I don't believe they'll ever post something of interest to me... which is a tad judgemental, and sad really.

Dreadful Scathe
29th-March-2007, 12:46 PM

yup, totally agree. If you dont want to ignore someone, then dont put them on your ignore list. How difficult is that ? :)

Dreadful Scathe
29th-March-2007, 12:51 PM
As it is, I feel that choice has been reduced, not improved.

Choice ? The ignore list ignores people, your choice is whether you use it or not. Personally if I cant be bothered with someones comments on a particular thread I just skip that post.

Although straycat has a good idea, which is probably impossible to implement, about having an option so you can select which ignore behaviour you want :)

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 12:56 PM
Sorry, I missed this earlier:

:confused: I have no idea what you're talking about DJ and why Usenet would qualify as a reference.
Usenet is the forerunner of discussion groups and online forum systems everywhere - they've been running for 20+ years at least, and so they're had a lot of time to develop a series of "behaviour protocols", which generally have proved useful guidelines for us to use.

That's where most "netiquette" comes from, in other words. So it's a good rule-of-thumb that if something works in Usenet, it'll probably work in a forum.

Well some people may post mainly rubbish which I'd like to ignore, but I'd like to think that from time to time they will post something even vaguely interesting (me, believing in people? :rolleyes: ), especially when it comes to the more serious threads (ok there aren't that many of them).
So, err, don't use the ignore list function...?

yup, totally agree. If you dont want to ignore someone, then dont put them on your ignore list. How difficult is that ? :)
What? Who said that? :innocent:

Dreadful Scathe
29th-March-2007, 01:06 PM
What? Who said that? :innocent:

Stop talking to yourself.

:)

Twirly
29th-March-2007, 01:26 PM
Although straycat has a good idea, which is probably impossible to implement, about having an option so you can select which ignore behaviour you want :)

Could we have an ignore feature for particular words or phrases in posts please? Personally, I'd like one right now for "little piggy". :rolleyes:

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 01:33 PM
Could we have an ignore feature for particular words or phrases in posts please?
Technically, yes - there's a "censor dictionary" which is now up and running.

Personally, I'd like one right now for "little piggy". :rolleyes:
Well, errr, OK then - feel free to suggest it to Franck... :whistle: