PDA

View Full Version : Sat 22 October

tiger
18th-October-2005, 07:32 PM
Anything happening?

LMC
18th-October-2005, 08:06 PM
You don't say where you are tiger?

The forum's very own Minnie Mouse lists southern events at www.lyndaslist.com. It looks like there's only one event on Saturday - Ashstead (see MM's website for details).

http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/ lists current events on its home page for all UK.

stewart38
19th-October-2005, 10:50 AM
This appears to be on

But ive never been so no idea what it will be like

Doesnt seem to be much around in the south

22/10/2005
freestyle: letchworth
plinston hall
broadway
beginners @ 8.00pm
"intermediate" @ 9.00pm
Start: 7:45pm
End: 12:00am
Admission £8.00 (at the door)

LMC
19th-October-2005, 12:20 PM
Plinston Hall is an OK venue and I've always enjoyed Ceroc Central's other freestyles.

If I wasn't in Scotland I'd probably go to Letchworth.

tiger
20th-October-2005, 07:12 PM
Thank you all. Im prepared to travel a bit in the south+ up to the midlands sometimes if theres a good dance recommendation.

Seems a bit quiet this weekend so may not dance.

Bedford friday, corn exchange is on soon i see,how is this nowadays?

bigdjiver
20th-October-2005, 11:45 PM
Thank you all. Im prepared to travel a bit in the south+ up to the midlands sometimes if theres a good dance recommendation.

Seems a bit quiet this weekend so may not dance.

Bedford friday, corn exchange is on soon i see,how is this nowadays?Last time I went Letchworth had is air conditioning that actually worked, as distinct from the usual "is it on?" elsewhere. I plan to be there.

Bedford still fetches in good dancers from miles around, and usually reaches capacity around 10pm. Some people start leaving thereafter for the long journey home. I always have a great evening. The theme is "Cowboys", but I doubt that most coming will know that.

senorita
21st-October-2005, 11:32 AM
Bedford friday, corn exchange is on soon i see,how is this nowadays?

the last two times that I went it was very good. Great music, not overly crowed...enough space to dance, the floor craft was very good

Easter Bunny
21st-October-2005, 03:34 PM
Anything happening?

Hi there,

Believe there is a Black and White Ball on at Greenham Common (Thatcham, Newbury)

(Ginger Jive) - look at their website to check it out.

Have fun!:nice:

Lesley

Stu
22nd-October-2005, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know how formal the dress code is for the black and white ball? If it's anything like previous years (I went a few years back), then you just have to wear something with black or white in it??

As I live in Reading, this sounds like the one for me, anyone going?

Swinging bee
22nd-October-2005, 04:05 PM
Anything happening?

For whats on in the South, visit :-e www.jivehive.co.uk (http://www.jivehive.co.uk)

robd
22nd-October-2005, 08:25 PM
the last two times that I went it was very good. Great music, not overly crowed...enough space to dance, the floor craft was very good

Re: Bedford Fridays - the only one I have been to was uncomfortably crowded until about 11 and the floorcraft wasn't great but then a full venue is usually a sign of a good night. Bedford Thursdays I have really enjoyed on the 2 occasions I have been there. Sadly I will miss the Friday freestyle on (I think) the 4th.

Robert

Stu
22nd-October-2005, 10:41 PM
Does anyone know how formal the dress code is for the black and white ball? If it's anything like previous years (I went a few years back), then you just have to wear something with black or white in it??

As I live in Reading, this sounds like the one for me, anyone going?

gah!!!! tickets required and all sold out, guess it's going to be a boring night sat at home then - all other dances too far :tears:

Paul F
23rd-October-2005, 12:43 AM
Im posting this purely to sing the praises of the night I went to tonight.

I expected a normal, run of the mill night. I got a fantastic evening of dancing.

I would like to say a big WELL DONE to the Leroc night at Ashtead Peace Memorial Hall.

good things
It was a really enjoyable night. Quite a lot of good dancers were there which surprised me. Of course that could have been down to the fact that it was one of the few events actually on in London. It probably helped but I get the feeling there were a lot of regulars.
Apparently they had to turn 70 people away as they were full by 9. Possibly down to the same reason.

I was stunned with the music in the main hall. :what: It was really really good :clap:
It was not wall to wall with the usual MJ tunes which i expected. The main room had some wicked tracks. Then there was the blues and swing room. We had 2 djs in there - Nelson Rose and Sheepman himself. Nelson played slightly more faster stuff for the first half and Sheepy seemed to slow it down a bit as the night drew to a close. A perfect partnership with some brill tunes by both of the guys. :worthy:

The venue wasnt huge but it was a fair size. The floor was good from what I could tell - in both rooms too.
The blues room was about the size of my dining room but it was cosy

They had a kitchen with a hatch that opened onto the main corridor walkway between the 2 rooms. In this hatch they had jugs of free water and cups for people to just help themselves
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
No having to queue at the bar or push past people to get water. It was really effective. Late on they had people manning the hatch giving out teas, coffees and snacks :clap: Excellent.

The best thing for me was to find about 5 or 6 Westies in the blues room. Had some simply beautiful wcs dances towards the end of the night with a lady who apparently goes to hammersmith and surbiton. Didnt get her name though :tears: Such fab dances
I was watching John Sweeney doing double trouble tonight. Although I never really warmed to Double Trouble some of the moves he was doing were awesome. :worthy: Great to watch.

ok, not so good points
From what I could tell (and i may well be wrong) there was 1 gents toilet for everyone (100+) . I must be mistaken as this must surely be against the law? Didnt bother me too much though.

The main hall, as with a lot of venues, was full and the people walking round the edges really did cause a problem. Also walking across the front of the stage was annoying. Understandable though as people have to get round. Again, slightly annoying but not increadibly so.

The fact that I am home at 12oclock and able to write on the forum is a bit more annoying. Again, im sure its down to the venue but it finished at 11:30 :tears:

All in all a very very good night. Its the second Leroc night I have been to. The first was also good. Respect :worthy:

spindr
23rd-October-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, GingerJive's night at Greenham was excellent.

Unfortunately, they'd limited the numbers -- so there were some disappointed folks outside, trying to cadge any spare unused tickets. Luckily, I'd bought mine in advance -- not my usual practice -- so not too much of a problem for me. The advantage was that there was a reasonable amount of space to dance -- although you did have to keep your wits about you :) (I got one slight amount of a lady's heel on mine once -- which isn't bad going in about three and a half hours of dancing).

Great to see dancers from all over -- I know there were some from Bath and Oxford as well as the usual gangs from Newbury, Basingstoke, Reading, Marlborough and Andover.

The JiveAces were fun -- a nice set of moderately upbeat numbers -- well, except for the Balboa special request (but even that was pretty jiveable). Shame I was dancing too much to admire the presentation, but the music was great.

Nice free parking -- reasonable bar. There is a smoking area -- presonally, I'd rather that there wasn't -- but I was dancing away from it, and the venue's pretty large.

DJ was reasonable -- maybe a few too many 70's style tracks -- but then again not my favourite genre.

Possibly the fun double trouble class could have finished a tad earlier -- but the freestyle didn't finish until ~12:30am.

Don't think I had a bad dance -- and most of them were great fun :)

Cheers,
SpinDr.