PDA

View Full Version : London congestion charge: tax or service?

David Bailey
18th-October-2005, 12:06 PM
There's a bit of controversy in the news (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4352520.stm) at the moment about whether US diplomats should pay the congestion charge or not.

Unsurprisingly, the US diplomats don't want to pay - they say "it's a tax and diplomats don't pay taxes", and Transport for London does want them to - they say "it's a service and you pay for services".

Disc... err, debate. :)

Andreas
18th-October-2005, 12:31 PM
Considering that there is a good chance I will be moving to Singapore next year ... I don't think London's charge is particularly high :rofl:

But to make them Ami's pay, it has to be a service, right? :D

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 01:35 PM
I suggest they don't pay then don't pay the fines. Ken can then confiscate their limousines and put them up at public auction.

I'd love to see Ken assassinated by the CIA - truly.

TiggsTours
18th-October-2005, 01:45 PM
I suggest they don't pay then don't pay the fines. Ken can then confiscate their limousines and put them up at public auction.

I'd love to see Ken assassinated by the CIA - truly.
:yeah: :rofl: :clap:

David Bailey
18th-October-2005, 01:52 PM
Ken can then confiscate their limousines and put them up at public auction.
I dunno, I can't see people paying much for second-hand diplomats really.

Msfab
18th-October-2005, 02:00 PM
Considering that there is a good chance I will be moving to Singapore next year ...

Whats this moving to Singapore thing you speak of Andreas! :eek:

Andreas
19th-October-2005, 12:42 PM
Whats this moving to Singapore thing you speak of Andreas! :eek:

Well, it is either going to be OZ or Singapore but at the moment it looks like Singapore is more likely to happen -> work.

Although I love London and all the dancing and dancers here, I love my girlfriend more :D No offense :rofl: :flower:

Tessalicious
19th-October-2005, 03:32 PM
Although I love London and all the dancing and dancers here, I love my girlfriend more :D No offense :rofl: :flower:Oh look, another thread diverted to cute and sentimental. Andreas, you'd better go hide quick or ESG and the anti-soppy brigade will arrive with their torches and pitchforks.

foxylady
20th-October-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, it is either going to be OZ or Singapore but at the moment it looks like Singapore is more likely to happen -> work.

Although I love London and all the dancing and dancers here, I love my girlfriend more :D No offense :rofl: :flower:

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:
(sod the thread hijacking, this is seriously bad news.... )

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 09:55 AM
*Wrenches thread back to original point, ignoring Mr Soppy*
Apparently the German diplomats in London are following suit, and refusing to pay, even though UK diplomats pay equivalent charges in places which have them.

Sorry to go all Daily Mail about this, but these flipping diplomats just get away with so much already. No taxes. Free housing. Free bill payments. And now we're subsidising their transport as well.

The congestion charge is not fun - but I don't see why diplomats have to excuse themselves from paying it. They have a choice - it's called public transport, lots of the rest of us have to use it. Grrrr...