PDA

View Full Version : Negative Rep from Martin H.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 11:34 AM
still not much happening on the Forum today (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=162710&postcount=129).

David Bailey
18th-October-2005, 12:09 PM
Wow, I got to click ten of those clicky things, fantastic... :whistle:

CJ
18th-October-2005, 12:14 PM
I think it says a lot about the forum that it's warmth and friendliness can absorb such negativity and turn it into a positive thing.:D

Some people have difficult childhoods. Some have difficult births, even.

However, when one is carrying SO much anger, resentment and hostility it's nice to have a safe place to release that; to be able to unleash the demons within and feel better about the world in which we live.

:hug:

DianaS
18th-October-2005, 12:54 PM
I've not been neg repped yet by any one other than Mikey,
and yet I feel strangely serene

I don't get much positive rep either...
But nice little PMs in my in box from my readers

Its much more enlightened
We have chats in the back room

Share stories tell secrets,
weep for past lovers...

and sing, and dance
and drink champagne

Send me rep and you may be invited
to the discrete little party in the back room

Will
18th-October-2005, 01:24 PM
Martin Harper is almost the only person I've ever been Neg Repped by. And he's the only person to have done it multiple times.

I had my suspiscions that he was flinging it around all over the place. It would appear my suspicions were confirmed.

Now waiting for the neg rep from him for this post too..... :whistle:

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 01:45 PM
I have never been negative repped by anyone...

Considering how much posting I do, I can only assume I'm doing something very right, or very wrong...

Not shamed or proud either way. :shrug:

Minnie M
18th-October-2005, 01:53 PM
I got neg rep from Trampy for too many smilies :rolleyes:

LMC
18th-October-2005, 01:59 PM
There isn't an option which says "click me", so I haven't clicked any of them.

DianaS
18th-October-2005, 01:59 PM
I got neg rep from Trampy for too many smilies :rolleyes:
Those were the days :rolleyes:
Trampy is the only person I have ever negative rep-ed
I did it loads and wouldn't stop untless he danced with me:whistle:
He's truely a legend now:flower:

Dreadful Scathe
18th-October-2005, 02:00 PM
Ive been neg repped a few times - by Will bexcause he hates smurfs ;),
by theTramp because he didnt like what i said, by Bigger Andy because I "didnt understand football" and er..not many more...

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 02:06 PM
And as they come past the four furlong mark, it's Who's Martin Harper ahead by a nose from Je ne regrette rien on the inside level pegging with You don't have to sing in tune if you're a German, three points ahead of I hate it when moderators fiddle with poll options by the rails, then Martin Harper is 35 alongside I'm proud to have been given negative rep by Martin Harper with some fierce use of the whip there - we'll see what the stewards have to say about that, then on the outside it's both What's negative rep? and I'm ashamed never to have been neg-repped by Martin Harper then bringing up the rear it's Rien de rien and I'm ashamed to have been given negative rep by Martin Harper. And now we go over to everyone's favourite tic-tac man Clive Long, who's with the bookies, for a run down of the final odds. Clive - what can you tell us?

Wow, I got to click ten of those clicky things, fantastic... :whistle:Naturally. David. I was going to make it single choice only, but I realised I'd be wasting hours of your day while you figured out which option you wanted to vote for. I couldn't be that cruel.
I had my suspiscions that he was flinging it around all over the place. It would appear my suspicions were confirmed.Let's hope he's using protection then...

LMC
18th-October-2005, 02:11 PM
What if you got positive rep from Martin H like my friend did?

Minnie M
18th-October-2005, 02:31 PM
There was a time when Martin H was my worst liked person (for those who remember the lift incident :whistle: ) However, last June in Southport I met up with him again and got to know him a little - in fact I introduced him to many of the forumites

Yes, he is a bit geeky, but actually very sweet - some of his posts are quite intense, some are very interesting and some annoying etc., and yes he is a bit free with his neg reps (as most of us know) as he takes the forum very seriously - BUT ..... he does issue the positive reps too, I have had a couple and they were in response of some meaningful posts (I can be sensible sometimes :sick: )

He also is quite shy and sensitive - really :really:

and lastly, where would be all be without our 'Harperlinks'

Go Martin, go :flower: we need people like you on our forum :yeah: for whatever reason :clap:

Northants Girly
18th-October-2005, 02:34 PM
Go Martin, go :flower: we need people like you on our forum :yeah: for whatever reason :clap::yeah:

You forgot to say what a nice dancer Martin is too! :clap:

LMC
18th-October-2005, 02:34 PM
< snip > BUT ..... he does issue the positive reps too, I have had a couple and they were in response of some meaningful posts (I can be sensible sometimes :sick: ) < snip >

Go Martin, go :flower: we need people like you on our forum :yeah: for whatever reason :clap:
:yeah:

Never met Martin but I do find his posts thoughtful and interesting even if I don't always agree with them.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 02:37 PM
There was a time when Martin H was my worst liked person (for those who remember the lift incident :whistle: ) However, last June in Southport I met up with him again and got to know him a little - in fact I introduced him to many of the forumites

Yes, he is a bit geeky, but actually very sweet - some of his posts are quite intense, some are very interesting and some annoying etc., and yes he is a bit free with his neg reps (as most of us know) as he takes the forum very seriously - BUT ..... he does issue the positive reps too, I have had a couple and they were in response of some meaningful posts (I can be sensible sometimes :sick: )

He also is quite shy and sensitive - really :really:

and lastly, where would be all be without our 'Harperlinks'

Oh, purr-leese, let's leave all the huggy huggy stuff at the door, ladies, OK? Let's have just one thread that's nothing but silly. There's more to the Internet than Wikipedia (and if that don't get me marked down by the big ol' MH, I don't know what will.)

Minnie M
18th-October-2005, 02:49 PM
Oh, purr-leese, let's leave all the huggy huggy stuff at the door, ladies, OK? Let's have just one thread that's nothing but silly. There's more to the Internet than Wikipedia (and if that don't get me marked down by the big ol' MH, I don't know what will.)
Just wanted to let people know the 'other' side of Martin - sorry if came over a bit schmaltzy:sick:

(I reckon this thread is just an excuse to see who can get the most MH neg reps :whistle: )

David Bailey
18th-October-2005, 02:55 PM
There's more to the Internet than Wikipedia
Not for long at this rate.

Go Wikipedia go...

Northants Girly
18th-October-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh, purr-leese, let's leave all the huggy huggy stuff at the door, ladies, OK? Ahh . . . . but we know you don't really mean that ESG :D
These are for you . . . :flower: :hug: :grin: :kiss: :cheers: :flower:

stewart38
18th-October-2005, 03:15 PM
No option to tick this is a particulary nasty thread ??:sad:

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 04:05 PM
No option to tick this is a particulary nasty thread ??:sad:naah... having your name in the title of a thread is a compliment - particularly if it's a poll. (and no, it doesn't count if you posted the thread yourself.)

ChrisA
18th-October-2005, 04:12 PM
There's more to the Internet than Wikipedia (and if that don't get me marked down by the big ol' MH, I don't know what will.)
This (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/18/wikipedia_quality_problem/) might.

MartinHarper
18th-October-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the nice words.

No option to tick this is a particulary nasty thread ??:sad:

Is it? Didn't bother me, even before someone cleaned it up. I don't consider giving neg rep to be an act of aggression and meanness, so I don't have a problem with folks knowing that I give neg rep.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 04:14 PM

Is it? Didn't bother me, even before someone cleaned it up. I don't consider giving neg rep to be an act of aggression and meanness, so I don't have a problem with folks knowing that I give neg rep.Cleaned what up? Who's been tampering? How?

stewart38
18th-October-2005, 04:24 PM

Is it? Didn't bother me, even before someone cleaned it up. I don't consider giving neg rep to be an act of aggression and meanness, so I don't have a problem with folks knowing that I give neg rep.

So now ive got to give +ve rep back to the people ive -ve rep on this :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 04:29 PM
So now ive got to give +ve rep back to the people ive -ve rep on this :whistle:Don't stress over it. But how long until there's a "I've been neg repped by stewart38" poll? :wink:

MartinHarper
18th-October-2005, 04:31 PM
Cleaned what up? Who's been tampering? How?

Umm...
Embarassing, but nobody. I thought a post had gone missing, but it was from another thread. :-s

Lory
18th-October-2005, 04:37 PM
I've had neg rep from Martin in the passed:waycool::innocent: but it's been out weighed by the positive rep i've had from him.;)

Another plus for Martin is, he does manage to see unusual angles on things that no-one else seems to see, including me! :confused: But I usually find them ironically amusing.:cheers: :D

Andy McGregor
18th-October-2005, 05:08 PM
My normal rep situation is, at any time, to have 2 or 3 negative reps in the last 10 - and one of them is usually from Martin Harper. I like to know I'm near the edge and regard 70/80% approval and 20/30% disapproval* as my resting state. It's my way of knowing I've rubbed enough people up the wrong way :devil:

Currently I've not got any negative reps in the last 10 - I'm hoping that posting on this thread will help restore the normal balance :whistle:

I would also like to add that I find myself unable to agree with just about everything Martin Harper ever says about being gay, dancing, cross-dressing, having no friends and .... (is there anything else Mr Harper talks about? :wink: ). This means that I give him positive rep on those rare occassions he talks sense :whistle:

*I've assumed that, because so many of the members are nice, 20% of the forum saying they don't like what I've said means that, in reality, 50% of the forum don't like what I've said. Does that make sense :confused:

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 05:28 PM
I've assumed that, because so many of the members are nice, 20% of the forum saying they don't like what I've said means that, in reality, 50% of the forum don't like what I've said. Does that make sense :confused: Hmm... I'd suggest that less than even 10% -ve reps would indicate that more than 50% of the forum didn't like what you've said...

But maybe I'm naive...

TiggsTours
18th-October-2005, 05:34 PM
I've only ever had positive rep from Mr Harper, is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

In fact, I've only ever had positive rep from anyone!:innocent:

Andy McGregor
18th-October-2005, 05:50 PM
Hmm... I'd suggest that less than even 10% -ve reps would indicate that more than 50% of the forum didn't like what you've said...

But maybe I'm naive...We're both just guessing. A great deal of the negative rep I've received has been balanced by positive rep for exactly the same post. This shows that people have opposing positions - nothing new there.

I've only ever had positive rep from Mr Harper, is that a good thing, or a bad thing?This is neither good nor bad. However, I say that getting positive rep with no sprinkling of negatives shows that you are far too nice to live* :innocent:

*and I'm amazed that nobody gave Tiggs Tours negative rep for her ill-judged 'dancing like a horse' comments on the Britrock thread and her grudging and over-qualified half-hearted apology. I didn't care so I left it to others - are you all turning into tarts out there who won't give negative rep for fear of getting it back? :devil:

Jive Brummie
18th-October-2005, 05:50 PM
Martin Harper is almost the only person I've ever been Neg Repped by. And he's the only person to have done it multiple times.

I had my suspiscions that he was flinging it around all over the place. It would appear my suspicions were confirmed.

Ditto:whistle:

JB x x

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 05:52 PM
In fact, I've only ever had positive rep from anyone!:innocent:Sorted. :whistle:

Zebra Woman
18th-October-2005, 06:04 PM
I have had negative and positive rep from Martin Harper. I have to admit I enjoyed the Neg rep more, in a naughty school girl kinda way, which is the way it was intended I believe .:wink:

Being stripey, I quite like the light and the dark. The negs reps are a foil for the positive ones. A bit like the way the harsh judgements on here about venues/music/dance behaviour provide a balance to all the boring gushy posts sometimes.

I have never met you Martin, but I would like to meet and have a dance someday. I actually wonder if maybe you may have been avoiding me? We were both at Southport where I spent two nights wearing Zebra stripes...and no Harper-Link :sad:.

Next time I will be using my secret weapon - Minnie Mouse.

ZW:flower:

David Bailey
18th-October-2005, 07:20 PM
I've avoided posting on this thread, being a tart and all. But what the hell...

I do like the theory of negative repping - I'm a big believer in feedback needing to be positive and negative to be meaningful (an attitude which has got me into trouble several times in the past few months). Hence my "good and bad bits of XXX" approach - and for that matter, my suspicion of some events such as Jango, but that's another thread...

Anyway, criticism doesn't and shouldn't imply bad feeling - it should be done in such a way that it helps the person being critiqued to improve the aspect aspect being criticized. So, at least in theory, there should be nothing wrong with neg rep, it's just another way of providing feedback.

Having said that, in the Forum, negative repping is both seen and taken to be very, well, negative. So I've so far wussed out of ever neg-repping anyone - if I disagree, it's usually quite clear from my responses :)

But I admire someone brave enough to stand up for his principles enough to be consistent about this sort of thing.

Oh, and:

I enjoyed the Neg rep more, in a naughty school girl kinda way, which is the way it was intended I believe .:wink:
I believe Wittybird may have an opening in a video for you, if your tastes lie that way. Ahem.

Lou
18th-October-2005, 07:52 PM
:tears: I've never had neg rep from Martin. Even before I knew him, he'd only sent me positives. But that's because he's A Nice Person. :rofl:

CJ neg repped me once. But I deserved it. :whistle:

bigdjiver
18th-October-2005, 10:00 PM
...I do like the theory of negative repping - I'm a big believer in feedback needing to be positive and negative to be meaningful (an attitude which has got me into trouble several times in the past few months). Hence my "good and bad bits of XXX" approach ....

Anyway, criticism doesn't and shouldn't imply bad feeling - it should be done in such a way that it helps the person being critiqued to improve the aspect aspect being criticized. So, at least in theory, there should be nothing wrong with neg rep, it's just another way of providing feedback.

Having said that, in the Forum, negative repping is both seen and taken to be very, well, negative. So I've so far wussed out of ever neg-repping anyone - if I disagree, it's usually quite clear from my responses :) ...If I disapprove of someones posting I post my reasons, so that they have the opportunity to clarify their position or defend themselves, or, even better, tell me where I am seeing it wrong.

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 11:56 PM
I do like the theory of negative repping ... {snip good stuff} I'm not disagreeing with David, but I feel that the model of reputation implemented by this forum doesn't match the behaviour of the fine forumites we see around us...

I think it works a lot better in a more anarchic forum where flamers and trolls are a common occurrence. In such an environment I imagine there would be a lot more +ve and -ve rep getting thrown about, hopefully balancing out so that the people with a poor reputation have a very low rep, and those with a good one, very high.

It also takes no account of their real-life reputation, which in a community like ours is probably actually more important than what goes on here.

Without these two factors you see people who should have a much higher rep going around with a fairly low score, while some others have a rep above what I think they deserve. (Your opinions may vary.)

A few things (which I don't think are possible with the current software) off the top of my head that might help... First, there could be exponential decay of rep, so that people with high rep have to work to maintain it. Second, it could be possible to rep people rather than their posts, where your daily allocation of rep points was split between rep you could give posts, and rep you could give people, which might help the rep system reflect real-life reputation. Third, each page should have a reminder of how much rep power you have left to spend that day. Last, there could be better limits on the ability to rep the same person often – I don't know if it's actually a problem on this forum, but if you have to "spread it around" 5 more people, and 1/6th of your rep is still going to the same person then there's something out of balance.

But, like I say these things are not likely possible with the current software, so I'm wasting my time even thinking about it.

Plus, I've got a blog to write, so I don't know what I'm doing hanging around here... :confused:

MartinHarper
19th-October-2005, 12:06 AM
Like I say these things are not likely possible with the current software, so I'm wasting my time even thinking about it.

Reputation metrics are a longstanding and unsolved problem in social computer science, and you're not the first person to speculate on how they could be improved. If you're interested in it, you can find out lots about it online, and probably even do a PhD on the subject if you're feeling keen.

If you want some scary maths, check out Advogato's trust metric (http://www.advogato.org/trust-metric.html), which is one of the more complex ones, with nice mathematical properties, though still vulnerable to various forms of social engineering. Some of the downsides are explored in a Design For Community article I like: How moderation tools can backfire (http://designforcommunity.com/essay8.html).

Andy McGregor
19th-October-2005, 12:15 AM
*and I'm amazed that nobody gave Tiggs Tours negative rep for her ill-judged 'dancing like a horse' comments on the Britrock thread and her grudging and over-qualified half-hearted apology. I didn't care so I left it to others - are you all turning into tarts out there who won't give negative rep for fear of getting it back? :devil:As an example, I got one negative and one positive for this. When my own vote is counted that makes 2 against one - sorry ChrisA, in this particular democracy you are in the minority. Tiggs Tours not only half-heartedly apologised, she subsequently insulted that particular ladies dancing after having apologised for insulting it - she just left out the bit about the horse :angry: To my mind that is very bad form indeed.

Andy McGregor
19th-October-2005, 12:18 AM
As an example, I got one negative and one positive for this. When my own vote is counted that makes 2 against one - sorry ChrisA, in this particular democracy you are in the minority. Tiggs Tours not only half-heartedly apologised, she subsequently insulted that particular ladies dancing after having apologised for insulting it - she just left out the bit about the horse :angry: To my mind that is very bad form indeed.Andy, what are you doing picking on Tiggs Tours on this thread? This is the place we pick on Martin Harper - and I can say what I like because I'm on his ignore list :whistle:

Clive Long
19th-October-2005, 08:07 AM
<< snip >> Another plus for Martin is, he does manage to see unusual angles on things that no-one else seems to see, including me! :confused: But I usually find them ironically amusing.:cheers: :D
:yeah: I was trying to think how to say exactly what you have written. I like the "different" i.e. insightful not just wilfully contrary, angle Martin brings to the Forum.

I have been neg repped once - by Martin Harper :rolleyes: Martin was right but petty.

Interestingly, I (and possibly others) remember the details of that one neg rep more than the lovely positive rep I have received. What does that tell me?

I have given neg rep (I think) a couple of times - certainly to ESG - when his wit was too sharp and I felt the target would be hurt. And then he goes and spoils it by saying something clever and funny and I had to wait to +ve rep others for stuff I liked before I could "go back" to ESG.

Someone's rep "level" has no bearing on how I "approach" that person's post. I take each post as it comes, irrespective of a person's rep "level".

Clive

ChrisA
19th-October-2005, 09:18 AM
As an example, I got one negative and one positive for this. When my own vote is counted that makes 2 against one - sorry ChrisA, in this particular democracy you are in the minority. Tiggs Tours not only half-heartedly apologised, she subsequently insulted that particular ladies dancing after having apologised for insulting it - she just left out the bit about the horse :angry: To my mind that is very bad form indeed.
Well that's not how I read her apology at all. She was actually very complimentary about the dancing, but not about the results - which as you've banged on about on many occasions, is about the judges, not the dancers.

But for the record, and as you very well know, I neg-repped you for dredging this all up again, not for the rights and wrongs of the debate.

TiggsTours
19th-October-2005, 12:36 PM
Sorted. :whistle:
Thanks honey! Its never good to only have positive rep, we all like to think there's a bit of :devil: in us somewhere!:kiss:

TiggsTours
19th-October-2005, 12:41 PM
Well that's not how I read her apology at all. She was actually very complimentary about the dancing, but not about the results - which as you've banged on about on many occasions, is about the judges, not the dancers.

But for the record, and as you very well know, I neg-repped you for dredging this all up again, not for the rights and wrongs of the debate.
I'd just like to thank you Chris, and I have positive rep'd you for this. As it happens, I sent a long PRIVATE mail to Mr McGregor about my personal feelings of him dredging this up in another thread, after my sincere apology for any hurt feelings caused, but subsequent refusal to backdown on my personal opinion (shared by others, as positive rep & PMs have shown) in the face of public anger. It seems, from subsequent entries on this thread, that Mr McGregor does not have the decency to keep this out of the public eye, or even respond to my private mail, and would rather drag down this, otherwise, light-hearted thread. Very bad form, if you ask me.

TiggsTours
19th-October-2005, 12:43 PM
Andy, what are you doing picking on Tiggs Tours on this thread? This is the place we pick on Martin Harper - and I can say what I like because I'm on his ignore list :whistle:
Could well make it on to a few more!

Andy McGregor
19th-October-2005, 01:48 PM
I'd just like to thank you Chris, and I have positive rep'd you for this. As it happens, I sent a long PRIVATE mail to Mr McGregor about my personal feelings of him dredging this up in another thread, after my sincere apology for any hurt feelings caused, but subsequent refusal to backdown on my personal opinion (shared by others, as positive rep & PMs have shown) in the face of public anger. It seems, from subsequent entries on this thread, that Mr McGregor does not have the decency to keep this out of the public eye, or even respond to my private mail, and would rather drag down this, otherwise, light-hearted thread. Very bad form, if you ask me.This PM was notified to me at 10.07am today. I responded as soon as I read it - which was about 5 minutes ago.

I'm not going to continue this debate. I've said what I felt was right. Some people agreed with me others disagreed. Nobody is going to change his/her mind if the debate continues - new balls please :wink:

CJ
19th-October-2005, 02:16 PM
new balls please :wink:

You've got balls?!?!?:eek:

El Salsero Gringo
19th-October-2005, 02:57 PM
You've got balls?!?!?:eek:He did have till TT chewed them off. That's why he needs new ones.

Andy McGregor
19th-October-2005, 07:51 PM
He did have till TT chewed them off. That's why he needs new ones.Thankfully they were already off - I've had a look in their jar and they have been chewed a bit :what: They've even had a private chewing or two - which is nice :whistle:

under par
28th-October-2005, 07:56 AM
I got some more -rep quite recently I feel quite PROUD:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: it was from MH :yeah: :yeah:

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 08:32 AM
I got some more -rep quite recently I feel quite PROUD:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: it was from MH :yeah: :yeah:
I almost want to get some from him now to join the club.

ALMOST! Martin, I was joking! Honest! :eek:

under par
28th-October-2005, 08:36 AM
I almost want to get some from him now to join the club.

ALMOST! Martin, I was joking! Honest! :eek:

Well if you were to make your FONT SIZES JUST A LITTLE BIGGER YOU WILL GET IT FOR THE SAME REASON I DID. honest thats true!

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 08:37 AM
Well if you were to make your FONT SIZES JUST A LITTLE BIGGER YOU WILL GET IT FOR THE SAME REASON I DID. honest thats true!
Actually, I'm with Martin on that one, excessive big font usage is evil... but then I'm a pedant. :blush:

under par
28th-October-2005, 08:39 AM
Actually, I'm with Martin on that one, excessive big font usage is evil... but then I'm a pedant. :blush:

I could ....I could just -rep you for that but I won't. At least the content of my posts is adequate........if my failing is font size I can sleep at night!

LMC
28th-October-2005, 08:48 AM
The problem with big fonts, especially if people change the text to lurid colours, is that they don't look like work to the casual observer... :blush:

ducasi
28th-October-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm not keen on big fonts either, but for aesthetic reasons, rather than pedantic ones.

Doesn't that look just really ugly?

David Bailey
28th-October-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm not keen on big fonts either, but for aesthetic reasons, rather than pedantic ones.

Doesn't that look just really ugly?
Whilst of course I should be hiding in the Pedants' (!) Corner, the main reason I don't like overuse of big fonts is the main reason I don't like overuse of any other form of emphasis - bold type, capitalisation, italics, colours, and so on. The more these are used and overused, the less clear the meaning becomes.

They're occasionally useful, but you need to know when to stop - and typically, less is more. The more you rely on gimmicks to get your message across, the less effective your message (and for that matter, the less effective the gimmicks, in the long run).

I'm also trying to cut down on the smilies, they're too addictive...

ducasi
28th-October-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm also trying to cut down on the smilies, they're too addictive... Either that, or you're reverting to your alter-ego ESG behaviour. :D :D :D

I can't get enough of them! :rolleyes: :hug: :clap:

El Salsero Gringo
28th-October-2005, 10:48 AM
...you need to know when to stop...ahahahahaha

LMC
28th-October-2005, 11:07 AM
< snip > you need to know when to stop < /snip >

:what:

MODERATOR - there is some imposter posing as DavidJames.

EDIT: Note to self - read to end of thread before posting. Congratulations to the ass for getting there first (dammit).

CJ
7th-November-2005, 03:29 PM
My life on here has just hit an all time low:

+ rep for correct use of apostrophe!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

doc martin
7th-November-2005, 03:43 PM

+ rep for correct use of apostrophe!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I am tempted to give you some -ve rep to balance that for three reasons.

1) Incorrect use of exclamation marks.
2) Wrong thread. Do you not read Pedants' corner?
3) Just to be mean :devil:

Missy D
29th-November-2005, 05:45 PM
Yes I have had neg rep from Martin Harper today! I am saying no more *the word arse springs to mind*

dee
29th-November-2005, 05:55 PM
Yes I have had neg rep from Martin Harper today! I am saying no more *the word arse springs to mind*

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

* with brass nobs on, talking of which...*

MartinHarper
29th-November-2005, 06:06 PM
the word arse springs to mind

I get off quite lightly then, compared to chicken woman, corpse, and mothball man. I'm sure you can do better than that if you put your mind to it.

dee
29th-November-2005, 06:14 PM
I get off quite lightly then, compared to chicken woman, corpse, and mothball man. I'm sure you can do better than that if you put your mind to it.

I'm sure we could, but we have to "play nicely" or so you say :whistle:

Magic Hans
29th-November-2005, 10:32 PM

Oooops!!! I think I just lied!!!!!! I did get negged by Martin ..... errrrrr ..... for inappropriate overuse of ...... errrrr ...... thingamajigs ..... ummmmmmm ...... punctuation!!!! That's it!! :)

under par
30th-November-2005, 02:27 AM
Oooops!!! I think I just lied!!!!!! I did get negged by Martin ..... errrrrr ..... for inappropriate overuse of ...... errrrr ...... thingamajigs ..... ummmmmmm ...... punctuation!!!! That's it!! :)

You'll.........get ...........some ..............from ...............me!!!!!!!!!!!! if you continue ...........with........... THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

MartinHarper
30th-November-2005, 02:31 AM
Missy, Dee.

I'll do you a deal. If you privately apologise to the taxi-dancer you publically slagged off in that thread, I'll publically apologise to you for privately telling you that I disapproved of one of your posts.
Otherwise, I get to treat you with the same high level of respect that you display for other people.

Sound fair?

Missy D
30th-November-2005, 09:25 AM
Missy, Dee.

I'll do you a deal. If you privately apologise to the taxi-dancer you publically slagged off in that thread, I'll publically apologise to you for privately telling you that I disapproved of one of your posts.
Otherwise, I get to treat you with the same high level of respect that you display for other people.

Sound fair?

Mr Harper I doubt very much the taxi dancer in question is on the Forum so I cannot do the above. I am not the only one to notice such an awful display of taxi teaching. (I am wondering if she would be better doing the KNOWLEDGE for the cabs!) I have also pointed this out to the owner of the venue 2 years ago and to date nothing has been done. Just think how you would feel if you started Ceroc and listenend to the teacher and the taxi dancers for weeks on end. Then finally, got confident enough to ask ladies to dance but kept getting turned down because you were just too bouncy. Would you not feel like you had failed in learning the dance. Would you not want to give it up all together.

Do you know who I mean when i talk of this taxi dancer? Did I name the taxi dancer? Did I say which venue this taxi works for? Err I dont think I did. I dont see that I am playing nasty. I love Ceroc and just dont want people to leave because of being taught wrongly by the taxi dancers. I guess its not her fault more the fault of this lack of training within Ceroc.

Maybe when you are in London next PM me and I make sure that you see this taxi dancer with your own eyes.

Missy D
30th-November-2005, 09:34 AM
need to delete this message till I have re read the threads!

WittyBird
30th-November-2005, 09:36 AM
Anyone for popcorn? :whistle:

MartinHarper
30th-November-2005, 10:35 AM
Mr Harper I doubt very much the taxi dancer in question is on the Forum so I cannot do the above.

You could apologise to her face-to-face. My offer still stands.

I dont see that I am playing nasty.

She must be there as an example on how not to dance Ceroc:rofl:

Where I come from, laughing at other people is rude. Perhaps this was merely an unfortunate choice of smiley?

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 10:45 AM
You'll.........get ...........some ..............from ...............me!!!!!!!!!!!! if you continue ...........with........... THAT!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl:
Mr "I love big colourful fonts" and "You can never have to many Smileys" Par, I'm not sure if you have the moral high ground on this one...

TiggsTours
30th-November-2005, 11:53 AM
Missy, Dee.

Sound fair?
So, you say something bad about someone behind their back, not the right thing to do, I know, but none of us are "holier than thou", and people in glass houses and all that! You haven't actually named the person, you could be talking about anyone, although there are others who know exactly who you are talking of, the chance are the person you are actually talking about hasn't got a clue!

Should you:

a) Keep schtum, the person you are talking of will never know what was said, and can stay living in blissful ignorance, still dancing like a windmill, but with no clue that anything derogetory has been said about them, by anyone.

b) Apologise to said person, publicly or in private, thus meaning you have to first tell them the hurtful comments that were made about them by you, hurting their feelings, making them feel bad about themselves, and leave them wondering just how many other people have been thinking and saying something similar!

Just for the record, if anybody ever slags ME off behind my back, and I don't know its been done, PLEASE, PLEASE, DON'T EVER TELL ME!!!

stewart38
30th-November-2005, 12:11 PM
Missy, Dee.

Sound fair?

what thread ??

Some taxi dancers are shall we say a bit mmm but hey they usually have a nice smile and do a great job

David Bailey
30th-November-2005, 12:47 PM
Naming and shaming, always a fun debate.
- If you say something critical of somebody, and you name them, you get a lot of flak (and I speak from painful experience here).
- If you say something critical of somebody, and you don't name them, you get a lot of flak (for hiding criticisms away)
- If you say something critical of somebody, and you obliquely refer to them, you get a lot of flak.

So, the only way to avoid getting a lot of flak is to be nice and luvvie to people.

KatieR's patented "fuzzy bunnies are nice" speech comes to mind here.

MartinHarper
30th-November-2005, 01:18 PM
If you say something critical of somebody...

It is possible to be critical of someone without laughing at them and calling them names.

dee
1st-December-2005, 01:46 PM
You could apologise to her face-to-face. My offer still stands.
Where I come from, laughing at other people is rude. Perhaps this was merely an unfortunate choice of smiley?

As far as i see there is nothing to apologise for, after all this taxi dancer is not even on the forum so will be none the wiser. Plus like Missy D said she has already mentioned this person to the head of Ceroc and they are aware of it.

So why don't we all shut up and look forward to having a nice christmas, and forget all this c**p :mad:

TheTramp
1st-December-2005, 02:25 PM
As far as i see there is nothing to apologise for, after all this taxi dancer is not even on the forum so will be none the wiser.

Not getting involved in the discussion...

Just a point though.

It's amazing how many people find out about things that are said about them on the forum, even though they weren't on the forum themselves at the time.

I know of at least 4 people who've joined the forum after they'd heard that they'd been mentioned. I believe that one was even for positive comments! :rolleyes:

dee
1st-December-2005, 03:32 PM
Not getting involved in the discussion...

Just a point though.

It's amazing how many people find out about things that are said about them on the forum, even though they weren't on the forum themselves at the time.

I know of at least 4 people who've joined the forum after they'd heard that they'd been mentioned. I believe that one was even for positive comments! :rolleyes:

Right then Trampy, read back on what has been written. Has anyone named names? um "I don't think soooo"

So how would anyone even know it was them???. If we said oh such and such from where ever then you may have a point, but not in this case.

TheTramp
1st-December-2005, 03:55 PM
Right then Trampy, read back on what has been written. Has anyone named names? um "I don't think soooo"

So how would anyone even know it was them???. If we said oh such and such from where ever then you may have a point, but not in this case.

And if you take the trouble to read what I said....

I'M NOT GETTING INVOLVED IN THIS DISCUSSION. There. Is that clear enough.

What I said was about a general point. I really don't want to read back on what has been written. It was boring back then. It's boring still.

And hence, my point is totally valid. You cannot rely on a defence of 'Oh, they're not here, they won't read it'.

And incidentally, just another point (please see the CAPITAL LETTERS above), from a legal point of view, you don't need to name names for a statement to be held libellous. If it is reasonable enough for someone, and others, to believe that it is written about them, they you are in trouble. In a way, you're possibly better off naming names. Since then it can only be about one person, and you don't get sued by everyone who thinks that it is about them. Anyhow. Moving on.

Dance Demon
1st-December-2005, 04:06 PM
:rofl:
Mr "I love big colourful fonts" and "You can never have to many Smileys" Par, I'm not sure if you have the moral high ground on this one...

Erm......should that not be too many smileys......:na:

Missy D
1st-December-2005, 04:10 PM
*sits and waits patiently for Dee to come back from school run and read this thread*

dee
1st-December-2005, 04:53 PM
And if you take the trouble to read what I said....

I'M NOT GETTING INVOLVED IN THIS DISCUSSION. There. Is that clear enough.

What I said was about a general point. I really don't want to read back on what has been written. It was boring back then. It's boring still.

And hence, my point is totally valid. You cannot rely on a defence of 'Oh, they're not here, they won't read it'.

And incidentally, just another point (please see the CAPITAL LETTERS above), from a legal point of view, you don't need to name names for a statement to be held libellous. If it is reasonable enough for someone, and others, to believe that it is written about them, they you are in trouble. In a way, you're possibly better off naming names. Since then it can only be about one person, and you don't get sued by everyone who thinks that it is about them. Anyhow. Moving on.

Well i wish i wasn't involved in this thread either but seen as i am, and as you say i could be sued over it. Maybe i should ask the name of this person and put a picture on them forum, i may as well do a good job of it eh?.

And no it's not a defence that they are not on here and won't read it. Like i said before it has already been mentioned to Ceroc and they are aware of it. So as far i am concerned it's end of discussion.

One more thing if you don't want to get involved in the discussion why even reply to this thread or even read it?

David Bailey
1st-December-2005, 04:59 PM
Erm......should that not be too many smileys......:na:
Err... :blush:

MartinHarper
1st-December-2005, 06:45 PM
So why don't we all shut up and look forward to having a nice christmas, and forget all this c**p :mad:

Deal. I've said everything I wanted to say.

Missy D
1st-December-2005, 11:53 PM
Deal. I've said everything I wanted to say.

Me too!

MartinHarper
16th-September-2006, 02:31 PM
Oct 2005:

My normal rep situation is, at any time, to have 2 or 3 negative reps in the last 10 - and one of them is usually from Martin Harper. I like to know I'm near the edge and regard 70/80% approval and 20/30% disapproval* as my resting state. It's my way of knowing I've rubbed enough people up the wrong way :devil:

Currently I've not got any negative reps in the last 10 - I'm hoping that posting on this thread will help restore the normal balance :whistle:

Sep 2006:

Now I'm going back to my cloud where it's nice and safe from those nasty, nasty, rep comments.

Strange how people change, isn't it?

Edit: oh, I suppose I should say it wasn't me, to help the forum sleuths out.

David Bailey
16th-September-2006, 03:00 PM
Ooh, I've joined the club!

Where's my badge? But please, no wrist-bands... :sick:

straycat
16th-September-2006, 03:04 PM

Where's my badge? But please, no wrist-bands... :sick:

I was just invited, (for the same reason, I presume) but I'm refusing membership, and pretending to be unsoiled :wink:

straycat
16th-September-2006, 03:07 PM

Psssst..
Wanna compare negrep-comments? :wink:

David Bailey
16th-September-2006, 03:41 PM
Actually, he was probably right, so as neg rep goes, it could have been worse...

Andy McGregor
16th-September-2006, 03:46 PM
Oct 2005:

Sep 2006:

Strange how people change, isn't it?

Edit: oh, I suppose I should say it wasn't me, to help the forum sleuths out.Me! Change?

I've no problem with negative rep because of what I say or the way I say it. I'm not going to post like I used to on a forum where I get negative rep because of who I am :tears:

straycat
16th-September-2006, 03:53 PM
Actually, he was probably right, so as neg rep goes, it could have been worse...

You think?

*considers it for a moment...*

Nope - not buying that :cool:
I think he just got neg-repped too much as a small child, and the anger has spilled over into his adult life. I try to be understanding about these things :wink:

David Bailey
16th-September-2006, 08:32 PM
You think?

*considers it for a moment...*

Nope - not buying that :cool:
I think he just got neg-repped too much as a small child, and the anger has spilled over into his adult life. I try to be understanding about these things :wink:
:grin:

Martin uses negative rep well, I think - i.e. as a "I think you're doing something wrong" comment, but not in an angry way.

In other words, he uses it as constructive criticism, or feedback. And as I've been pushing the whole concept of how useful feedback is for, well, ever, it'd be silly to not take note of it when received personally.

It's not Martin's fault that negative rep has a, err, negative image - or that most other forumites use it as a weapon to lash out with. If everyone used neg rep as he did, I think there'd be a lot less luvviedom and a lot more honesty around this place.

Having said that, it'd be nice if rep (+ve and -ve) could be graded - it's a bit of a blunt instrument at the moment.

straycat
16th-September-2006, 10:49 PM
Having said that, it'd be nice if rep (+ve and -ve) could be graded - it's a bit of a blunt instrument at the moment.

So we could have a whole new rep phraseology?

'ROFL' rep
'Do you want to see my puppies?' rep
'Worshipful' rep
'Constructively critical' rep
'Cowardly anonymous' rep
'Gratuitous' rep
'I want your babies' rep
'Revenge' rep
'Existential' rep
'My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die' rep.
etc
Any other suggestions?

MartinHarper
16th-September-2006, 11:30 PM
If only there was some system where we could add comments to our rep to communicate this kind of information. Maybe the rep button could pop up a little box for us to add a sentence or two?

Or we could just keep whacking each other over the head with blunt instruments. Whatever's easiest, really.

El Salsero Gringo
17th-September-2006, 12:47 AM
If only there was some system where we could add comments to our rep to communicate this kind of information. Maybe the rep button could pop up a little box for us to add a sentence or two?

Or we could just keep whacking each other over the head with blunt instruments. Whatever's easiest, really.It might be nice to be able to decide how many points (up to your maximum) you award each time.

straycat
17th-September-2006, 09:19 AM

I forgot about German Ancestry rep, sorry. :whistle:

David Bailey
18th-September-2006, 08:53 AM

Or we could just keep whacking each other over the head with blunt instruments. Whatever's easiest, really.
What's wrong with a mechanism to attach some value to comments, ranging from "Yes, good point" to "Fantastic - best post I've seen in years"?

One of the reasons I don't give negative rep is that there's no equivalent of a "mild rebuke" available - it's all or nothing, and of course people generally react badly to the "all" scenario. So some gradation of neg-rep might actually encourage more usage of it for some people - which, I assume, you would support.

Dreadful Scathe
18th-September-2006, 10:08 AM
i have no problem with receiving negative rep, even if its for an illogical reason or just someone trying to be funny. I dont leave negative rep for anyone, but thats my choice and who knows, someone may really rile me at some point...but I doubt it ;) yawn!!

Juju
18th-September-2006, 04:41 PM

Um, wouldn't it just be best to say what you think on the relevant thread? After all, isn't the whole repping thing a bit saft anyway?? (I dabble a bit in positive repping - (Why? because it's there) - and I've had a handful of positive reps with nice comments, which I appreciated, being a relative newbie. I'm neither a negative repper (or reppee) but maybe that's because I'm small fry on here. Give it time....)

Dreadful Scathe
6th-November-2006, 05:33 PM
i have no problem with receiving negative rep, even if its for an illogical reason or just someone trying to be funny. I dont leave negative rep for anyone, but thats my choice and who knows, someone may really rile me at some point...but I doubt it ;) yawn!!

i have neg repped people since then :) just goes to show...something. :)

Barry Shnikov
7th-November-2006, 03:23 PM

HAH!!

That's nothing.

I'M ON HIS IGNORE LIST!:waycool:

Trouble
7th-November-2006, 03:25 PM
HAH!!

That's nothing.

I'M ON HIS IGNORE LIST!:waycool:

im trying to get on his ignore list, hasn't worked yet. :flower:

Beowulf
7th-November-2006, 04:37 PM
I've only been neg repped once. (NOT by MH I hasten to add) I didn't think it was called for but could see the neg reppers point and took it on the chin.. this happened when I was fairly new and lost in the ways of the forum and social etiquette.

I do however believe that neg rep has it's place in the forum although I myself and yet to neg rep some one. It's not so much of an issue now with the recent rep power decrease but when I had 6 rep points to dish out I didn't want to always use the lot. Something might be good to warrant 1 or 2 points of rep, or something that took a lot of work (for example Gadget's many documents on style etc) might be worth the lot. Similarly with neg rep, something may be only worth a mild rebuke and -1 rep but I didn't think chopping -6 off someone's rep because of something said wrongly? (again not so much of an issue since the rep regrade.. but still a valid point I think)

I'd never neg rep someone for disagreeing with me or having a different point of view. I remember a particularly heated thread about software ownership with DS, ESG and myself. now I did not agree with what was being said there, and I did get quite heated as it was a subject close to my heart but no neg rep was released.. not because I feared repercussions .. My reputation is in my threads. People like what I say or don't they don't need a number to tell them that. I'm sure I'm not to everyone's taste. I could name some people that think I'm a bit irrelevant and flighty but that's their opinion and they are entitled to it. If they feel the need to neg rep me then that's ok. As long as it's justified in their minds it's ok. It's when things descend into petty "You neg repped me.. so I'll neg rep you" then we may as well lose the who repping system. Personally I don't think we need it anyway. it's only of use to newbies who don't know people and even then it's of very limited use unless there was some percentage value of +ve to -ve reps as anyone who's been here long enough is almost guaranteed to have +ve rep of the order of many hundred.

Personally repping either +ve or -ve for grammar/punctuation use/misuse is just plain silly. As long as the point gets across then that's good enough surely?

TheTramp
7th-November-2006, 04:52 PM
Stuff

Do you think that you're maybe reading too much into rep scores and comments.

What difference do they actually make? Is it just me that really doesn't care about rep scores? The comments are nice, or not. If people send me neg rep for something I've said, then I might agree with what they've said, I might not. Either way, they're entitled to say what they think. It's not really that big a deal either way....

David Bailey
7th-November-2006, 04:54 PM
Personally repping either +ve or -ve for grammar/punctuation use/misuse is just plain silly. As long as the point gets across then that's good enough surely?
You needed a comma after "personally" :na:

Trouble
7th-November-2006, 04:56 PM
You needed a comma after "personally" :na:

did you teach English Language A level ?

David Bailey
7th-November-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm in the same profession as Gav, so it's an occupational hazard.

Beowulf
7th-November-2006, 06:35 PM
Do you think that you're maybe reading too much into rep scores and comments.

What difference do they actually make? Is it just me that really doesn't care about rep scores? The comments are nice, or not. If people send me neg rep for something I've said, then I might agree with what they've said, I might not. Either way, they're entitled to say what they think. It's not really that big a deal either way....

and perchance did you or did you not read my post? I myself said

we may as well lose the who repping system. Personally I don't think we need it anyway

but you neglected to to quote that part. :na:

I think the rep system is just an excuse for people to be petty. I don't care one iota if I get good or bad rep .. it means nothing to me. reading too much into rep comments? me? I don't think so.. they are as irrelevant to me as .. as.. well, as a very irrelevant thing indeed ;)

but everything you said in your post is like what I said.. people are entitled to their points of view and it doesn't bother me what I think.

best regards
Confused of Aberdeen :confused:

Dynamo
7th-November-2006, 06:46 PM

Watch out for that Trrouble you could get shot :eek:

I'm in the same profession as Gav, so it's an occupational hazard.

Gav was in the armed services :what: , so you might become collateral damage :eek:

just pray it was with the US army, he will miss you and hit somebody else instead :devil: :devil: :rofl:

Your sincerely dead meat :eek:

MartinHarper
7th-November-2006, 06:52 PM
Personally repping either +ve or -ve for grammar/punctuation use/misuse is just plain silly.

That's why I rep impersonally.

Beowulf
7th-November-2006, 07:01 PM
That's why I rep impersonally.

yeah yeah.. the joke about the missed comma has already been done :rolleyes:

ducasi
7th-November-2006, 07:32 PM
[...] Similarly with neg rep, something may be only worth a mild rebuke and -1 rep but I didn't think chopping -6 off someone's rep because of something said wrongly? [...]
Negative rep is only worth half your power, so when you had a power of 6, your negative rep would only have been worth -3.

David Bailey
8th-November-2006, 09:16 AM
Negative rep is only worth half your power, so when you had a power of 6, your negative rep would only have been worth -3.
I think that's changed now - but the whole rep system now has me totally confused, I've no idea what the rules are for "limits", "24 hours", "how many times you need to rep someone else", etc.

I say, junk the whole thing.

straycat
8th-November-2006, 02:48 PM
I say, junk the whole thing.

But surely if we junk the whole thing, that would kill off such sparkling debates as this one, and we'd all be the poorer for it? I'm all for keeping it, but maybe making it less predictable and more confusing :whistle:

Barry Shnikov
8th-November-2006, 11:42 PM
But surely if we junk the whole thing, that would kill off such sparkling debates as this one, and we'd all be the poorer for it? I'm all for keeping it, but maybe making it less predictable and more confusing :whistle:

HEY EVERYONE!

Chill. pos rep, neg rep - it's just a bit of fun.

It's nice to have people say 'Well argued' or 'Made me laugh' and it's nice to be able to say it back. I hardly ever neg rep, but if someone neg reps me, well, hey! go for it. Not like it'll make me cry. Or anything.

Beowulf
8th-November-2006, 11:52 PM
HEY EVERYONE!

It's nice to have people say 'Well argued' or 'Made me laugh' and it's nice to be able to say it back. I hardly ever neg rep, but if someone neg reps me, well, hey! go for it. Not like it'll make me cry. Or anything.

:yeah: :yeah:

drathzel
9th-November-2006, 01:03 AM
i got neg rep from Martin Harper. i feel so special!

MartinHarper
9th-November-2006, 01:26 AM
i got neg rep from Martin Harper. i feel so special!

Been a while, eh?

straycat
9th-November-2006, 08:03 AM
HEY EVERYONE!

You're not all that comfortable with this humour concept, are you? :wink:

David Bailey
9th-November-2006, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a challenge... well, OK then.

Let's have multiple types and values of rep:

"Dance tip" rep (orange-shaded, value = 2 X rep power)
"Sexy" rep (red, 1 X power)
"Humour" rep (green, 0.5 X power)
"Luv u" rep (pink, 0.25 X power)

How's that?

TheTramp
9th-November-2006, 10:48 AM
Grumpy rep (black, 25 X power) ?

Caro
9th-November-2006, 04:38 PM
lol I got my first neg rep ever... from Martin Harper :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cost me 4 points though! :what:

Beowulf
9th-November-2006, 04:46 PM
perchance was it for mentioning games?

Caro
9th-November-2006, 04:52 PM
perchance was it for mentioning games?

how did you guess ? :rofl:

Beowulf
9th-November-2006, 04:54 PM
hmm...

I know how he feels ;)

*finger hovers over neg rep button....*

Hmm Nope.. not THIS time :whistle:

David Bailey
9th-November-2006, 04:59 PM
Cost me 4 points though! :what:
:confused: How'd that happen though? Is neg rep already multiplied?

Wow, it really is confusing already...

TheTramp
9th-November-2006, 05:00 PM
hmm...

I know how he feels ;)

*finger hovers over neg rep button....*

Hmm Nope.. not THIS time :whistle:

:yeah:

It was amusing for the first 40 posts or so! :rolleyes:

Andreas
9th-November-2006, 07:10 PM
Do people actually sign neg rep posts? I got one once with some mild verbal abuse but the person didn't actually have the spine to stand up to it and posted anonymously. Not that I am fazed by rep but if I have something to say I do it and I want the person to know that it was me. So anonymous posts are kind of childish. :rolleyes:

Cruella
24th-January-2007, 05:55 PM
Finally i've arrived!! After 2years 3 months of being a forumite, i've at last achieved the status to get neg rep from Martin Harper. :clap: My life is now complete.:D (I feel very naughty.)

under par
24th-January-2007, 06:23 PM
Finally i've arrived!! After 2years 3 months of being a forumite, i've at last achieved the status to get neg rep from Martin Harper. :clap: My life is now complete.:D (I feel very naughty.)

What 4

Cruella
24th-January-2007, 06:27 PM
What 4

Being a BAD girl. :wink:

Double Trouble
24th-January-2007, 06:27 PM
What 4

M. Harper doesnt need a reason....just depends what time of the month it is.:rolleyes:

JiveLad
24th-January-2007, 06:42 PM

Well it took me less than 4 weeks (can anyone beat that?). I think he had me in his sights - and then when I made a post which didn't include a 'HarperLink' (as if I was supposed to know what the hell that was!!) that was it.

I am not complaining about it!!!!! In fact it was good because it made me work out how to do links - although the same result could have been achieved by a PM (couldn't it?).

I would be interested to see some statistics on neg reps. I have a hypothesis that proportionately more neg reps are given out by males than females - and I have some theories about why this is.

David Bailey
24th-January-2007, 07:01 PM
I am not complaining about it!!!!!
Oh yes you are. Worse, you're using multiple exclamation marks. :na:

At this point, I feel duty-bound to mention the FAQ section on -ve reps (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/faq.php?faq=csf_howdoi#faq_csf_howdopower), especially the bit that says:

Also, please be aware that many people see it as bad form to complain in public about specific negative reps received - it may even get you more negative rep (!).

Cruella
24th-January-2007, 07:05 PM
the FAQ section on -ve reps (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/faq.php?faq=csf_howdoi#faq_csf_howdopower), especially the bit that says:Also, please be aware that many people see it as bad form to complain in public about specific negative reps received - it may even get you more negative rep (!).

I predicted that post!
Personally I was not complaining but celebrating it!
I did ask to be told off in the first place, I just got more than i'd hoped for.

JiveLad
24th-January-2007, 07:06 PM
Oh yes you are. Worse, you're using multiple exclamation marks. :na:

At this point, I feel duty-bound to mention the FAQ section on -ve reps (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/faq.php?faq=csf_howdoi#faq_csf_howdopower), especially the bit that says:

David - I'm not complaining about it.

straycat
25th-January-2007, 02:40 PM
David - I'm not complaining about it.

:(

Wouldn't you consider complaining about it just a little bit? Pretty please? I want to get some negrepping practice in...

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 03:18 PM
:(

Wouldn't you consider complaining about it just a little bit? Pretty please? I want to get some negrepping practice in...

I've never had any neg rep :(

Does complaining about not having it get me some?

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 03:32 PM
I've never had any neg rep :(

Does complaining about not having it get me some?

I was gonna give you some neg rep Turbo, to make you feel at home, but I'm not allowed. Seems i've been sucking up to you too much recently. :love:

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 04:02 PM
I was gonna give you some neg rep Turbo, to make you feel at home, but I'm not allowed. Seems i've been sucking up to you too much recently. :love:

I don't know whether to thank you or not for that :flower:

Everyone else can lay off now because I've had 2 and that's enough :D

Oh god, does that mean I'm complaining about neg rep? The downward spiral begins.... :blush:

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 04:06 PM
The downward spiral begins.... :blush:

You will be in minus figures by the end of the day. :rofl:

David Bailey
25th-January-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't know whether to thank you or not for that :flower:

Everyone else can lay off now because I've had 2 and that's enough :D
Ah yes, the classic rep-tart Ploy no. 13.
That's old school, that is. :respect:

Gav
25th-January-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh god, does that mean I'm complaining about neg rep? The downward spiral begins.... :blush:

You're safe, apparently I can't neg rep you again. :sad:

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 04:10 PM
rep-tart

Is that like a pop tart....but with some flavour?

Lee Bartholomew
25th-January-2007, 04:14 PM

Tomato flavour.

David Bailey
25th-January-2007, 04:26 PM

Not exactly. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7303)

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 04:28 PM
Not exactly. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7303)

So that would make turbo a woman then?

In your eyes anyway.

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 05:05 PM
So that would make turbo a woman then?

In your eyes anyway.

:eek:

David, are you flirting with me? :na:

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 05:08 PM
:eek:

David, are you flirting with me? :na:

Dont tell anyone, but DJ is just happy to get a glimpse of a bra......want to borrow one of mine Turbo? :D

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 05:24 PM
Do you have some lippy as well?

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 05:28 PM
Do you have some lippy as well?

Oh dear. Does S. Addicted know you are in to cross dressing Turbo?

Best to be honest about these things......shall I tell her or will you?

Lee Bartholomew
25th-January-2007, 05:31 PM

TT swap the TVR for the x-dressing photos I have of you :yum:.

Gav
25th-January-2007, 05:33 PM
TT swap the TVR for the x-dressing photos I have of you :yum:.

Too late.

a. We all know now anyway
b. Everyone knows TVR drivers are all deviants.

:D

Lee Bartholomew
25th-January-2007, 05:43 PM
Well as the secret is out anyway......

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 05:45 PM

Shhhhhhhh :whistle:

Too late.

a. We all know now anyway
b. Everyone knows TVR drivers are all deviants.

:D

c. My TVR went a couple of weeks ago, so I don't even have a bargaining tool :tears:

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 05:45 PM
Well as the secret is out anyway......

that looks strangely familiar..........I cant think why.

Lee Bartholomew
25th-January-2007, 06:38 PM
that looks strangely familiar..........I cant think why.

Why? is that your underwear? Has he been stealing off your washing line again?

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 07:45 PM
Why? is that your underwear? Has he been stealing off your washing line again?

Anyway......moving on.......that Martin Harper...if we neg rep him all at the same time will he vaporize? Just a thought.:D

SeriouslyAddicted
25th-January-2007, 09:11 PM

:eek: OMG - what have I done - can't believe you have kept it from me all this time TT

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 09:14 PM
:eek: OMG - what have I done - can't believe you have kept it from me all this time TT

Think of it as a plus...you can share dresses and underwear etc.

As long as its just the dressing up he likes...not the being chased around by a load of 'cross dresser fanciers'. Theres a lot of them about...apparently.:whistle:

SeriouslyAddicted
25th-January-2007, 09:29 PM
Think of it as a plus...you can share dresses and underwear etc.

Not if that picture is representative of his dress sense :what:

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 11:15 PM

I'll be over tomorrow night to try a few on :love:

SeriouslyAddicted
26th-January-2007, 09:43 AM
I'll be over tomorrow night to try a few on :love:

:rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
15th-March-2007, 03:05 PM
Spurred by, well the obvious really, I've decided that the really irritating part of being neg-repped by MH is that, deep down, you know he's usually right - or at least, he's got a good point.

Most neg reps from other people - myself included - can be shrugged off because they're just being irrational, subjective, or whimsical.

I wonder what the forum would be like if other people used neg reps the way they're meant to be used...?

Dreadful Scathe
15th-March-2007, 04:05 PM
Spurred by, well the obvious really, I've decided that the really irritating part of being neg-repped by MH is that, deep down, you know he's usually right - or at least, he's got a good point.

Most neg reps from other people - myself included - can be shrugged off because they're just being irrational, subjective, or whimsical.

I wonder what the forum would be like if other people used neg reps the way they're meant to be used...?
if people actually had proper debates on here - it would work very well indeed. You'll be hard pushed to persude the forumn populace that it isnt purely "i like that" or not - ive had positive rep for the stupidest of things :) Perhaps if there was a bit more to it other than (click , lol, send) or (click, you suck, send). It may work better :)