PDA

View Full Version : Digital cameras...

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
17th-October-2005, 09:50 PM
...Ok, I would like to buy a digital camera before friday if at all possible. So I need the help of all you wise technology smart people. It's not to be fancy or anything like that, just a brand name with a good zoom that takes good pictures,around £120 too if you can manage it.

*Sits back and waits for someone to look for a camera for me* :D

WittyBird
17th-October-2005, 09:54 PM
Check this link out
its not the best out there but its certainly not the worst...
oh and within budget

http://www.inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/FUJIC103

:grin:

ducasi
17th-October-2005, 10:06 PM
Go into Jessop's, John Lewis or Boots and tell them what you need and they'll sort you out.

I'd guess one thing you've got to decide is whether you want standard AA or AAA batteries which can be easily replaced when they go dead, or a mobile-phone style battery that will last longer, but needs a special charger...

philsmove
17th-October-2005, 10:17 PM
Go into Jessop's, John Lewis or Boots and tell them what you need and they'll sort you out.

I'd guess one thing you've got to decide is whether you want standard AA or AAA batteries which can be easily replaced when they go dead, or a mobile-phone style battery that will last longer, but needs a special charger...

I can defiantly recommend jessop’s the staff in Bristol are very knowledgeable

I would avoid the AA they seem to go flat too soon

Feelingpink
17th-October-2005, 10:25 PM
...Ok, I would like to buy a digital camera before friday if at all possible. So I need the help of all you wise technology smart people. It's not to be fancy or anything like that, just a brand name with a good zoom that takes good pictures,around £120 too if you can manage it.

*Sits back and waits for someone to look for a camera for me* :DWhy don't you have a look at a magazine - "which digital camera" or the like to compare brands and to figure out what is most important for YOU - could be zoom, price, size, battery life, resolution (how many megapixels each file can be, which affects how big you can print your picture), light metering system (as a huge generalisation, Canon's point & shoots are pretty good) and ISO (a high number is useful for taking photos in low light without flash) or reliability. Also allow for the fact that many P&S cameras come with a "tiny" memory card - check how many shots you can take on the one that is in the camera at the highest resolution - and you may need to budget for buying another one (or six).

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
17th-October-2005, 10:47 PM
Ok i've been doing a wee bit of looking. This (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/3801/partNumber/5601961.htm) one looks good, and Argos is not too far from where I live. But it's AA batteries though.

ducasi
17th-October-2005, 11:22 PM
The one that wittybird mentioned looks like the big-brother of the one in Argos, for around the same price, once you've included postage.

Inmac aren't a bad place to go if you're prepared to buy on-line, and have someone in the house for the next couple of days to take delivery...

My personal preference would be for LI batteries over AA-style, but it looks like that tends to add quite a bit to the price... :sad:

WittyBird
17th-October-2005, 11:28 PM
The one that wittybird mentioned looks like the big-brother of the one in Argos, for around the same price, once you've included postage.

Inmac aren't a bad place to go if you're prepared to buy on-line, and have someone in the house for the next couple of days to take delivery...

My personal preference would be for LI batteries over AA-style, but it looks like that tends to add quite a bit to the price... :sad:

You dont have to have someone in the house.. you can have it delivered anywhere... For my sins I used to work for them on the SME Corporate Account Management side of IT sales. The prices are reasonable, delivery if in stock is next day.:waycool:

Ballroom queen
17th-October-2005, 11:31 PM

I have a cannon Ixus 420, its lovely, but I actually prefer my parents Ixus 40 - smaller body and bigger screen. The ixus 30 may be more in your price range, and to be honest I couldn't tell between my photos and Dave's who had an Ixus 30. Does video clips as well, nice and compact and easy to use. Jessops can be very helpful too

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 12:01 AM
You dont have to have someone in the house.. you can have it delivered anywhere... For my sins I used to work for them on the SME Corporate Account Management side of IT sales. The prices are reasonable, delivery if in stock is next day.:waycool:
That's true... But... For my sins I have to deal with inmac often – they used to be good, but now they are part of Dixons, and have gone downhill. :sad:

Our number one problem with them is that they always mess up the delivery and send to the wrong part of our organisation. Better to make it easy for them I think...

Also, when paying by credit card, delivery to a different address than the billing address for the card can be delayed. :sad:

WittyBird
18th-October-2005, 12:13 AM
but now they are part of Dixons, and have gone downhill. :sad:

thats the main reason 50% of the CAM's left including myself and believe me that was just the tip of the iceberg:(

senorita
18th-October-2005, 09:01 AM

Hello jazz shoes!
try this link....I got a fantastic bargain of a sony digital camera...its wicked & very very slim too :grin:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/index.html?itag=3758

jivecat
18th-October-2005, 09:46 AM
I bought a reconditioned Olympus Camedia 460 from Digital Depot in Swindon for £120. Don't know if I would recommend it though, because you need new batteries after about 20 photos. Definitely get a camera with a proper battery setup.
I also discovered that cameras tend not to work after they've been dropped on the kitchen floor, so my advice is, if you're accident-prone, buy a cheap one and treat it as disposable.

philsmove
18th-October-2005, 11:47 AM
have a look at this

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/130511/art/olympus/camedia-c-315-zoom.html

I have bought several C60 from zoom for work from pixmania
but the C60 seems to be discontinued

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
18th-October-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, but :confused: :eek: :tears: Brain overload, too much choice! Why can't it be more simple, i'll probably end up in Argos, as usual :rolleyes: