PDA

View Full Version : Fire Alarms

Msfab
17th-October-2005, 03:20 PM
Just had the Fire alarm go off at the University. (probably some student wanting to get out of a tutorial he hasnt done his homework for! :angry: )

Ok it took us a minute or 3 to leave the lab. But we werent about to leave without our precious work. Ive havent got to near the end of my Phd to have it all go up in smoke now:eek: .

So, What would you not leave behind you in the event of a fire alarm?

DianaS
17th-October-2005, 03:27 PM
Just had the Fire alarm go off at the University. (probably some student wanting to get out of a tutorial he hasnt done his homework for! :angry: )

Ok it took us a minute or 3 to leave the lab. But we werent about to leave without our precious work. Ive havent got to near the end of my Phd to have it all go up in smoke now:eek: .

So, What would you not leave behind you in the event of a fire alarm?
Car keys
I was once left outside for over 2 hours and i should have gone home an hour earlier!

Stuart
17th-October-2005, 04:49 PM
My coat.

They always pick freezing cold days to have fire drills at our office.

ElaineB
17th-October-2005, 05:10 PM
Myself!!! If it took you three minutes in a real fire, the likelyhood is that you and your work would not have made it!!! :sad:

I say to the Guys at the Office, in the event of a fire, follow me - I am not waiting for anyone! Our office now gets out in record time! :D

Elaine

KatieR
19th-October-2005, 12:50 PM
Friday last week apparently some one was smoking down in the basement of our building and the fire alarms went off. Assuming it was just a drill, I only grabbed my coat. An hour and a half later I was stuck waiting to get back in the building to get my bag and keys... I wont forget them again!

still, I have also uncovered an unhealthy addiction to my mobile phone. The whole time we were outside, I didn't really care about my bag, I was more concerned about trying to survive not having my mobile phone!

DavidY
26th-October-2005, 12:58 PM
Well based on the BFG it seems the majority of folk would go back for their bag/shoes etc...

Lynn
26th-October-2005, 01:09 PM
Well based on the BFG it seems the majority of folk would go back for their bag/shoes etc...And stand on the steps changing into their street shoes :whistle:

Cruella
26th-October-2005, 01:16 PM
Well based on the BFG it seems the majority of folk would go back for their bag/shoes etc...
My bag was right next to me so i grabbed it, but my coat was in a different room, so was freezing. Good excuse to cuddle in close to all the men though:wink: Seriously if there was really a fire it's quite alarming (no pun intended) how blase` people are about getting out of the building. Must of been a good 10 minutes from the alarm first going off to the last people coming out.

Dizzy
26th-October-2005, 01:19 PM
And stand on the steps changing into their street shoes :whistle:

:yeah:
That was sooo funny!!! :rofl:
All you could hear was the cries of 'My suede sole shoes!!!!'

LilyB was funny as she would not move off the step in her dancing shoes into the rain so DavidB picked her up and carried her across the road. Awwww. :worthy: :hug:

Icey
26th-October-2005, 01:21 PM
And stand on the steps changing into their street shoes :whistle:

I didn't even get a chance to grab my boots, I was herded out by a very enthusiastic security guard/bouncer :mad: My shoes were knackered for the remaining two songs of the evening. I managed to dry them out overnight and after a couple of dances the next day they seemed to be OK again :clap:

I've also learnt by experience to grab my bag, keys & coat as a few years ago a building was closed off until the following day by the fire service completing their investigations into the fire in another area of the building. Some people had left their stuff inside and weren't allowed any where near to get them. I just went home :whistle:

ducasi
26th-October-2005, 01:46 PM
... Seriously if there was really a fire it's quite alarming (no pun intended) how blase` people are about getting out of the building. Must of been a good 10 minutes from the alarm first going off to the last people coming out. I figure if they'd been even a whiff of smoke it'd have been a different matter.

Cruella
26th-October-2005, 01:53 PM
I figure if they'd been even a whiff of smoke it'd have been a different matter.
Lets hope none of us ever have to find out! An excellent ploy to empty a venue at the end of a night though. Venue managers take note, when you can't get the last few punters to leave, set off the fire alarm! :wink:

TiggsTours
26th-October-2005, 02:11 PM
In an old HSBC office that I worked in we had an evacuation, we all filed out, expecting it to be a standard drill, and when we got out the police herded us to the end of the road, and lines were set up all round the building. It turned out that someone had left a suspicious package in the banking hall downstairs, and the bomb squad, currently dealing with a confirmed suspicous car 40 miles away, were on their way to our office to perform a controlled explosion! At that point, my reaction (I'm embarassed to admit) was "but my dance shoes are in there!" not "is anybody left inside?" or even "my wallet/phone/car keys/house keys, my job!".

After a minute, this really sheepish looking woman who worked in the branch pushed herself to the front of the crowd and said to the police officer "urm, I think that might be my lunchbox. I was in a rush to get into town, and didn't want to head back into the office, so I just left it in the banking hall". The police officer asked her to describe the box, the desciption matched, he asked her to accompany him to formally identify it, it was her sarnies. Bomb squad cancelled, police lines lifted, all filed back inside.

In answer to the original question, if I was at my desk I'd grab my coat & bag, if not, I'd leave everything to burn, sooner my belongings than me! I would, of course, ensure that ALL my work was moved to the area of the office where it is most likely to be totally destroyed!

Lynn
26th-October-2005, 10:00 PM
In an old HSBC office that I worked in we had an evacuation, we all filed out, expecting it to be a standard drill, and when we got out the police herded us to the end of the road, and lines were set up all round the building. It turned out that someone had left a suspicious package in the banking hall downstairs, and the bomb squad, currently dealing with a confirmed suspicous car 40 miles away, were on their way to our office to perform a controlled explosion!
Sadly an all too common occurance in the past here. But once I was in an office on the phone, noticed blue lights outside the windown and heard a controlled explosion in the street. They might have at least warned us, though I presume we were at no real risk. It was a bit bizarre as I ducked under the desk in case there was another one and the windows broke, while trying to explain to the person that I really had to end the call!

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2005, 11:31 PM
I didn't even get a chance to grab my boots
I'd left my precious power book in the Latin Room and as I was in the Blues Room when the alarm went off had to leave it where it was.

When they let us back in I sprinted up the stairs in double quick time to make sure it was still there............... it was, thank goodness.